Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1548058 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #6000 on: June 12, 2020, 05:56:30 am »
+1

Plumber
cost $5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top of your deck. If it is not a Victory card, you may gain a copy of it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:00:42 pm by majiponi »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: June 12, 2020, 06:47:27 am »
+1

Here's a card I actually created a long time ago and have been saving for the right week, Iron Bridge:

Iron Bridge - Action - $5

Gain a card costing up to $4.
-
While this is in play, cards that share a type with the gained card cost $2 less.

It's "While this in play", so it's not too strong with TR variants.

(sharp eyed readers may notice its v0.2; the unposted v0.1 had only a $1 reduction and cost $4, but it felt much more interesting to have a $2 reduction, since the buy type was restricted.)
I don't think this works. The restriction isn't much of a restriction as you only want to gain Actions in the early-mid game anyways, and only Victory cards on your megaturn. It's way, way stronger than Inventor, and the $1 cost increase isn't enough to justify this.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: June 12, 2020, 07:05:40 am »
+2

Caravansary
Landmark

When you buy a card that does not share a type with the pile with the Caravansary token, +1% and put the Caravansary token onto its pile.
-
Setup: The last player in player order puts the Caravansary token on any supply pile.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: June 12, 2020, 08:50:11 am »
+1

+1 Action
Discard any number of cards, then draw that many. Then, if you discarded at least one...
... Action, +2 Actions
... Treasure, +$1
... Victory Card, gain a Horse

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #6004 on: June 12, 2020, 10:07:40 am »

I mused on Hoarder overnight and with a cleared head this morning, I conclude that, yes, Cursing is too strong on this Night card (can be stacked too easily). So instead, I'll change this junker into... yet another junker. But this time, it's nicer to your opponents ! Let's take a look at Hoarder, V2:

Ouch, a one-time terminal Copper. It's funny 'cuz it's a nice counter to your opponents' Hoarders. If they use their Action phase to trash their Junk, then they'll have no Action cards in play. Thus, should they play any Treasure, their Hoarders could only grab something costing or less. Hehehe.

(And yes, it is the art of the trash mat, lmao.)
Bottom text

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: June 12, 2020, 12:40:42 pm »

My entry:
Tutor - Action Duration, $3 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action

You may set aside a card from your hand. At the start of your next turn, if it is a...
Victory, discard it and +1 Card;
Action, play it;
Neither type, trash it.
My oldest fan card in its newest form. It does everything an engine likes (apart from trashing Nights but you don't have to do that) but it's slow. With Action Victories, I'm hoping I'm right in saying that they would be discarded, then stop-move applies and they can't then be played.

The stop-moving rule has nothing to do with whether you can play a card, it just stops cards from moving. So with an Action Victory you'll discard it and get +1 Card and then play it, but because the card is now in your discard pile Tutor loses track of it and stop-moving will come into effect and you won't move it to your play area.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: June 12, 2020, 01:32:18 pm »

Blacksmith
Action - $5
+3 Cards
Discard a card. If it's a(n)...
Action, +2 Actions
Treasure, +$2
Victory Card, +2 Cards
-
You can only buy this if you have an Action in play

Action option is better than Forum, Victory option is similar to Hunting Grounds. The buy condition is easy to setup. So it seems to me a bit too strong.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: June 12, 2020, 03:08:27 pm »

Plumber
cost $5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top of your deck. If it is not a Victory card, you may gain it.

Do you mean gain a copy of it from supply?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: June 12, 2020, 03:28:51 pm »

Here's a card I actually created a long time ago and have been saving for the right week, Iron Bridge:

-
While this is in play, cards that share a type with the gained card cost $2 less.

(sharp eyed readers may notice its v0.2; the unposted v0.1 had only a $1 reduction and cost $4, but it felt much more interesting to have a $2 reduction, since the buy type was restricted.)

If you throne this, which card's types are being reduced?

The intent is of all types of any gained card (but only once per type) - would better working be "any of the cards gained this way" or something like that be better. (I also guess I need to figure out if it affects things gain a (cost reduced) Border Village, and with it's on gain a Silver. Any thoughts?

I don't think this works. The restriction isn't much of a restriction as you only want to gain Actions in the early-mid game anyways, and only Victory cards on your megaturn. It's way, way stronger than Inventor, and the $1 cost increase isn't enough to justify this.

Inventor is a good card to compare to - thanks! I do think the restriction could matter, though, no? Early on you may not want two actions, but a Silver and an Action? (and can't) or when it comes to Victory cards, with Inventor the gained card doesn't have to be a stop card. I mean I get when it's very late and buying one of the last Provinces, but what about Provinces 1-6?

Sure for a megaturn where you use a couple of these to buy multiple (>2)? Is that super common? (I might just not be at a level where it is for me)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:18:19 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: June 12, 2020, 06:00:04 pm »

Plumber
cost $5 - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal the top of your deck. If it is not a Victory card, you may gain it.

Do you mean gain a copy of it from supply?

Yes.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: June 12, 2020, 06:07:44 pm »
+3

-

The intent is of all types of any gained card (but only once per type) - would better working be "any of the cards gained this way" or something like that be better. (I also guess I need to figure out if it affects things gain a (cost reduced) Border Village, and with it's on gain a Silver. Any thoughts?

Inventor is a good card to compare to - thanks! I do think the restriction could matter, though, no? Early on you may not want two actions, but a Silver and an Action? (and can't) or when it comes to Victory cards, with Inventor the gained card doesn't have to be a stop card. I mean I get when it's very late and buying one of the last Provinces, but what about Provinces 1-6?

Sure for a megaturn where you use a couple of these to buy multiple (>2)? Is that super common? (I might just not be at a level where it is for me)

What about the opposite: "cards that doesn't share a type". That will be weaker than inventor and will encourage things like action/silver or duchy
Who trashes the trashers?

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: June 12, 2020, 06:31:37 pm »

-

What about the opposite: "cards that doesn't share a type". That will be weaker than inventor and will encourage things like action/silver or duchy

Yeah, I did consider that (and still am), though I think it might be off brand for an "iron" card.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: June 12, 2020, 08:39:09 pm »
+3

Crusader
$5 - Action - Attack
+2 Cards
You may trash a card from hand. If you did, +1VP, and each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card sharing a type with it, or reveals a hand with no such cards.

A mix of Catapult and Bishop. The harm inflicted on your opponents depends on what you sacrifice.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: June 13, 2020, 02:21:33 am »
+1

Megaturns are the standard build for cost-reducers like Bridge, Bridge Troll, Inventor, if there is engine potential. And with Iron Bridge, it's very easy to achieve - all you need is 4 of them and already you gained Estate, Duchy, 2*Province, and any further Provinces cost $0.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: June 13, 2020, 02:37:01 am »
+2

My entry:

Wishing Fountain - - Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card type, then reveal the top card of your deck.
If it has the named type, put it into your hand. Otherwise, you may either trash it, discard it or leave it on top.

A much generous Wishing Well mixed with Sentry.

It’s much easier to activate than Wishing Well, you only have to name correctly the type of the top card of your deck. So, many times it will be a Lab.

However, if you fail to name the right type, Wishing Fountain still has a gift for you (so, sometimes you may want to fail). In this case, it works as a half Sentry, giving you the choice to trash the top card, discard it or leave it in the top.

It’s very good when you are building an engine and want to draw your Actions and trash Coppers and Estates. After, if you manage to have an Action based engine, it’s virtually a guaranteed Lab until you start greening.

It also works in money based strategies. Name Treasure type and it would be a Lab most of the time, like Magpie does in such decks.

If you have deck inspection or good deck control, it becomes a “do what you want” with the second card of your deck, after you draw the first. You can put it in hand, trash it, discard it or leave it there. Filtering by type gives you good control and versatility if you have different goals for different types of cards.

Lab is better than it only when the top card doesn’t have the named type but even so it is a card you would want to have in hand. When it is a card of a type you would better trash than put in hand, Wishing Fountain is better than Lab. It is more versatile and could help to build your deck even faster than Lab, so I think it’s good at .

Feedbacks are always welcome!

EDIT: DUE TO FEEDBACKS, I'M CHANGING MY ENTRY TO:

+1 Card
+1 Action
If it has the named type, put it into your hand or trash it. Otherwise, you  may discard it..

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 11:35:09 pm by Carline »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #6015 on: June 13, 2020, 02:38:40 am »
+1

Looks borderline broken but it is not utterly crazy like Cultist or Recruiter or other ridiculous 5s.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: June 13, 2020, 03:16:49 am »
+2

Quadrangle
Action - $7
+3 Cards
Reveal a card from your hand.
If it's a(n)...
Action: +2 Actions
Treasure: +$2
Victory Card: +2 Cards
Then, put the revealed card onto your deck.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:16:04 am by NoMoreFun »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: June 13, 2020, 03:46:36 am »

There is no reason for the setting aside. Just reveal and topdeck, that is clearer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:14:53 am by segura »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: June 13, 2020, 10:04:35 am »

There is no reason for the setting aside. Just reveal and topdeck, that is clearer.

No, he wants not to draw the revealed Victory.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: June 13, 2020, 11:27:50 am »

Megaturns are the standard build for cost-reducers like Bridge, Bridge Troll, Inventor, if there is engine potential. And with Iron Bridge, it's very easy to achieve - all you need is 4 of them and already you gained Estate, Duchy, 2*Province, and any further Provinces cost $0.

OK, makes sense - let me think how to tweak.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: June 13, 2020, 11:37:55 am »
+1

My entry:

+1 Card
+1 Action
If it has the named type, put it into your hand. Otherwise, you may either trash it, discard it or leave it on top.

It’s much easier to activate than Wishing Well, you only have to name correctly the type of the top card of your deck. So, many times it will be a Lab.

However, if you fail to name the right type, Wishing Fountain still has a gift for you (so, sometimes you may want to fail). In this case, it works as a half Sentry, giving you the choice to trash the top card, discard it or leave it in the top.

It’s very good when you are building an engine and want to draw your Actions and trash Coppers and Estates. After, if you manage to have an Action based engine, it’s virtually a guaranteed Lab until you start greening.

It also works in money based strategies. Name Treasure type and it would be a Lab most of the time, like Magpie does in such decks.

If you have deck inspection or good deck control, it becomes a “do what you want” with the second card of your deck, after you draw the first. You can put it in hand, trash it, discard it or leave it there. Filtering by type gives you good control and versatility if you have different goals for different types of cards.

Lab is better than it only when the top card doesn’t have the named type but even so it is a card you would want to have in hand. When it is a card of a type you would better trash than put in hand, Wishing Fountain is better than Lab. It is more versatile and could help to build your deck even faster than Lab, so I think it’s good at .

I feel like this is too strong. If you wish for an Action, you either get an Action in your hand, trash an Estate or Copper (which is the same as getting to your hand and then trashing), discard other Victory or Treasure (same as getting to your hand and discarding).

So in games where you don't actually buy Silver or Gold, this is better than a Lab (outside the late case edge case of discarding Victory cards that you might then draw again).

What if instead the "Otherwise", the trashing option is also for wishing the right type (it also simplifies it in that you can get rid of the discard and leaving it there):

"If it has the named type, put it into your hand or trash it."

So early on you might want to name Action to be able to use it, or Victory or Treasure to trash it.

Still might be too strong, but I think it could at least make for some more interesting decisions.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: June 13, 2020, 11:57:26 am »

Decree (Action, $5)

You may play an Action card from your hand three times. If you do, trash it.

A King's Court variant that trashes its target. Not sure if $5 is the right price for this.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: June 13, 2020, 12:02:48 pm »

Decree (Action, $5)

You may play an Action card from your hand three times. If you do, trash it.

A King's Court variant that trashes its target. Not sure if $5 is the right price for this.

A suggestion - what if it TRed always, and then you could trash for a 3rd play?

I would also consider adding an in play check - Decree-ing a horse and KCing a Horse (or other card that removed itself from play) are identical.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: June 13, 2020, 12:07:20 pm »

Looks borderline broken but it is not utterly crazy like Cultist or Recruiter or other ridiculous 5s.

My entry:

+1 Card
+1 Action

I feel like this is too strong. If you wish for an Action, you either get an Action in your hand, trash an Estate or Copper (which is the same as getting to your hand and then trashing), discard other Victory or Treasure (same as getting to your hand and discarding).

So in games where you don't actually buy Silver or Gold, this is better than a Lab (outside the late case edge case of discarding Victory cards that you might then draw again).

What if instead the "Otherwise", the trashing option is also for wishing the right type (it also simplifies it in that you can get rid of the discard and leaving it there):

So early on you might want to name Action to be able to use it, or Victory or Treasure to trash it.

Still might be too strong, but I think it could at least make for some more interesting decisions.

Thank you! When you play it, it is either a Lab or a half Sentry, not both at the same play. Filtering by type helps you to use the best of these effects to the revealed card. This feature makes it a strong card, but none of its effects is broken by itself.

As I said, there are situations in which it is not better than Lab, but you are right, these are the situations you want to play with Silver and Gold. So, maybe it would be good to change something.

The suggested version is intersting, I will think about it.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: June 13, 2020, 12:25:10 pm »
+1

I'm not sure this is too strong. It's either a Lab (if you're right), a worse sentry (if you're wrong and trash), or an Ironmonger without the bonus (if you're wrong and discard) So I think $5 is the right price point.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.