Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546941 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5950 on: June 07, 2020, 03:20:08 am »
+1

Secluded Village
$5 - Action/Reserve

+1 Card
+3 Actions
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you have no Actions left during your Action phase, you may call this, to gain a Gold.
I think this would be fine at $4. It really looks weak for $5.  Also, a village is supposed to support actions, not encourage a treasure-based strategy. You have to gain a gold every time you want to play this after the first.
Well I'm not sure, all the Gold gainers are at $5, and even if this will most of the time be delayed Gold gaining, it seems a bit powerful at $4, being nonterminal. Of course it's clear to me that it incentivizes different strategies with its bonuses, that's because I like cards that are a bit harder to use effectively and make for interesting decisions. And obviously it's absolutely amazing with TfB.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: June 07, 2020, 04:50:23 am »

Dwarf Miner  • • Action
You may gain a Gold. If you did not, trash a card from your hand to gain a card costing up to more.

In games using this, when you play a Gold, return it to the Supply and gain a Spoils.

The idea is to incentivize Remodeling Golds instead of playing them and the global rule is based on an outtake from Dark Ages: A two-use Gold (you trash it and gain a Spoils).

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5952 on: June 07, 2020, 05:51:21 am »

Amalgam
Event - $0
Trash an Action card and a Treasure card from play. If you did, gain a Gold.

Basically an amalgam of Quest and Animal Fair. Trashing from play rather than from hand makes it both more accessible and more costly

It is a cheap Bonfire. Use this to draw Militia 100% on turn 3 or 4. Use this to trash Necropolis on turn 1 or 2. Feed Rats!

Seems to make boring games too much.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: June 07, 2020, 12:08:45 pm »

Amalgam
Event - $0

Basically an amalgam of Quest and Animal Fair. Trashing from play rather than from hand makes it both more accessible and more costly

It is a cheap Bonfire. Use this to draw Militia 100% on turn 3 or 4. Use this to trash Necropolis on turn 1 or 2. Feed Rats!

I agree that this is better than Bonfire in Shelter games. And obviously it is also decent to get rid of Ruins.

But in all other situations, which makes up the huge majority, it is totally unrelated to Bonfire and cannot only be used very situationally (how often do you wanna waste a Buy and kill an Action to DoubleMine a Copper into a Gold?) to thin.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: June 07, 2020, 12:22:21 pm »
+2

Amalgam
Event - $0

I agree that this is better than Bonfire in Shelter games. And obviously it is also decent to get rid of Ruins.

But in all other situations, which makes up the huge majority, it is totally unrelated to Bonfire and cannot only be used very situationally (how often do you wanna waste a Buy and kill an Action to DoubleMine a Copper into a Gold?) to thin.

Another problem is that as worded, Amalgam lets you trash other people's Duration cards because it just says "from play," not "that you have in play."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: June 07, 2020, 04:52:26 pm »
+1

Legit designed this and then couldn't remember whether I intended it to cost $4 or $5. Thoughts on that would be appreciated.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: June 07, 2020, 06:53:49 pm »

Legit designed this and then couldn't remember whether I intended it to cost $4 or $5. Thoughts on that would be appreciated.
$4 would be too cheap. It looks super duper strong in big money and can produce some insane amount of coin in an engine. Like, just playing 2 and drawing gives you $21, plus whatever golds/silvers you gained previously. If anything, I think the card could be made worse.

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: June 07, 2020, 08:29:46 pm »

Loom - $4
Action - Attack - Reaction
+$2
At the start of Clean-up, reveal a card from your discard pile and put it onto your deck. If the revealed card is an Attack card, each other player gains a Curse.
-
When you gain a Curse, you may discard this, to gain a Gold.

I think the wording on this is correct?

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: June 07, 2020, 08:52:05 pm »

Loom - $4
+$2
At the start of Clean-up, reveal a card from your discard pile and put it onto your deck. If the revealed card is an Attack card, each other player gains a Curse.
-

Why is the effect activated during cleanup? The effect is mostly the same if it's immediate.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: June 07, 2020, 11:31:37 pm »
+1

Secluded Village
$5 - Action/Reserve

+1 Card
+3 Actions
Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
When you have no Actions left during your Action phase, you may call this, to gain a Gold.
I think this would be fine at $4. It really looks weak for $5.  Also, a village is supposed to support actions, not encourage a treasure-based strategy. You have to gain a gold every time you want to play this after the first.
Well I'm not sure, all the Gold gainers are at $5, and even if this will most of the time be delayed Gold gaining, it seems a bit powerful at $4, being nonterminal. Of course it's clear to me that it incentivizes different strategies with its bonuses, that's because I like cards that are a bit harder to use effectively and make for interesting decisions. And obviously it's absolutely amazing with TfB.
Not all Gold gainers are $5. There's also Leprechaun and Dismantle that I think of offhand (and kind of Skulk. I think there's at least one more I'm forgetting). And this is a village that can easily miss shuffles because it's stuck on the tavern mat. You don't want villages to miss shuffles. You also usually want multiple villages, so you're going to be flooding yourself with Gold which isn't really a bad thing except it makes villages less useful. So it anti-synergizes with itself. I guess, it's probably fine at $5, but I think it'd be among the weaker ones. It would be very nice with most TfB.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:33:59 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5960 on: June 08, 2020, 09:22:43 am »

I changed my card again when I realized trashing a Gold for +2 Actions was uh
kind of a bad bargain.

it's still bad but now it's got a new trick.

Goblin • $4 • Action
You may trash a Treasure from your hand to gain a Gold.
If you trashed a Gold, you may choose one of the following instead of gaining a Gold:
+4 Cards ;
or +3 Actions;
or +1 Buy and +$3.

edit: changed how it works a little again, for clarity and brevity.
edit 2: cleaned up downthread
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:05:31 pm by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: June 08, 2020, 10:41:25 am »
+1

kind of a bad bargain.

Goblin • $4 • Action
If you didn't, you may trash a Gold to choose one: +4 Cards; or +3 Actions; or +1 Buy and +$3.

I think this might be answered somewhere on an official card, but in this wording, what does "if you didn't" refer to... if you didn't trash a Treasure from your hand, if you didn't gain a Gold, or if you didn't choose to trash a Treasure from your hand? All 3 seem like possible options, and all 3 could act differently if you play it when the Gold pile is empty or you have no treasures in hand.

If there isn't an official card that deals with this, then to me the clearest interpretation is that it refers to the entire thing; if you trash a Treasure but don't gain a Gold because the pile is empty, then "you didn't trash a Treasure to Gain a Gold" therefore you get the second part.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:44:11 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: June 08, 2020, 11:02:18 am »
+1

kind of a bad bargain.

Goblin • $4 • Action
If you didn't, you may trash a Gold to choose one: +4 Cards; or +3 Actions; or +1 Buy and +$3.

I think this might be answered somewhere on an official card, but in this wording, what does "if you didn't" refer to... if you didn't trash a Treasure from your hand, if you didn't gain a Gold, or if you didn't choose to trash a Treasure from your hand? All 3 seem like possible options, and all 3 could act differently if you play it when the Gold pile is empty or you have no treasures in hand.

If there isn't an official card that deals with this, then to me the clearest interpretation is that it refers to the entire thing; if you trash a Treasure but don't gain a Gold because the pile is empty, then "you didn't trash a Treasure to Gain a Gold" therefore you get the second part.
How about combine all of it? "If you trashed a Gold, "

EDIT: did this. see here
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 11:06:05 am by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: June 08, 2020, 11:47:38 am »

kind of a bad bargain.

Goblin • $4 • Action

This version is a good bit stronger though; because now you can get all of the bottom benefits without losing your Gold... you trash a Gold, get a Gold back, and get the bottom choice. Could still be ok because you basically have to discard a Gold from hand, but it's a lot stronger than you had before.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: June 08, 2020, 12:00:03 pm »

kind of a bad bargain.

Goblin • $4 • Action

This version is a good bit stronger though; because now you can get all of the bottom benefits without losing your Gold... you trash a Gold, get a Gold back, and get the bottom choice. Could still be ok because you basically have to discard a Gold from hand, but it's a lot stronger than you had before.
Yeah good point; modified it again upthread
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 01:18:17 pm by spineflu »

Marpharos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: June 08, 2020, 01:33:39 pm »

Loom - $4
+$2
-

Why is the effect activated during cleanup? The effect is mostly the same if it's immediate.

Good point, I think I’d just been looking at improve for some fun timing things but it’s not really necessary.

Here’s it updated then:
Loom - $4
+$2
You may reveal a card from your discard pile and put it onto your deck. If the revealed card is an Attack card, each other player gains a Curse.
-

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: June 08, 2020, 02:42:34 pm »

Loom - $4
+$2
-

Good point, I think I’d just been looking at improve for some fun timing things but it’s not really necessary.

Here’s it updated then:
Loom - $4
+$2
You may reveal a card from your discard pile and put it onto your deck. If the revealed card is an Attack card, each other player gains a Curse.
-

I think you should add from where the card is discarded, like the wording in Market Square.

I presume it's from the hand, so it would be:

"When you gain a Curse, you may discard this from your hand to gain a Gold."

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: June 08, 2020, 02:53:16 pm »

kind of a bad bargain.

Goblin • $4 • Action

Although the intent of the wording as written seems clear, it requires a strange fudging of the regular rules of Dominion. Since you do everything in the card as written, in order, you would first trash a Gold to gain a Gold, and then go on to the next instruction and see that you actually do something else instead of gaining a Gold. But you've already gained the Gold by the time you ever get to that instruction, it's too late to go and do something else instead.

Can't think of a simple fix though. Seems like it wants to start with "Choose one: " Because really you're choosing between trashing a Treasure for a Gold vs trashing a Gold for a different benefit. Only problem there is that you'd have a second Choose One within the second choice.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: June 08, 2020, 03:02:06 pm »
+2

kind of a bad bargain.

Goblin • $4 • Action

Although the intent of the wording as written seems clear, it requires a strange fudging of the regular rules of Dominion. Since you do everything in the card as written, in order, you would first trash a Gold to gain a Gold, and then go on to the next instruction and see that you actually do something else instead of gaining a Gold. But you've already gained the Gold by the time you ever get to that instruction, it's too late to go and do something else instead.

Can't think of a simple fix though. Seems like it wants to start with "Choose one: " Because really you're choosing between trashing a Treasure for a Gold vs trashing a Gold for a different benefit. Only problem there is that you'd have a second Choose One within the second choice.
honestly it's fine; it's at the same level of fudge as "and vice-versa" on chameleon. It's written for humans to understand, not computers, right?

edit: for funzies, i tried a rewording and it didn't make the textsize reading glasses-sized, so here's one that works with existing "do things in order" wording

Goblin • $4 • Action
You may trash a Treasure
from your hand.
If you trashed a Gold,
choose one: +4 Cards; or +3 Actions; or +1 Buy and +$3; or gain a Gold.

If you trashed something other than Gold, gain a Gold.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 03:42:32 pm by spineflu »

lompeluiten

• Bishop
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: June 08, 2020, 05:48:37 pm »

Gold Miner $4
+1 action
+1 buy
You may gain a copper to your hand
If 1 supply pile is empty, you may gain a silver to your hand instead
If 2 supply pile is empty, you may gain a gold to your hand instead

Until first pile be empty, Candlestick Maker is virtually strictly better than it (except edge cases, like Bank).
Have you seen the City. That one goes from the worst village to the best laboratory.

Now I also wonder when I would pick it. A buy in an engine is never wrong. Would you buy it if you expect 1 pile going out fast... maybe. Defintly if you could upgrade it immidialty with another card. If you get attacked a lot, burn down a pile and get silver to keep roling. And if you expect that 2 piles will be empty quickly you would by it.

The question is, are there enough edge cases that you can make it work. I don't know yet.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5970 on: June 08, 2020, 05:51:54 pm »
+1

Gold Miner $4
+1 action
+1 buy

Until first pile be empty, Candlestick Maker is virtually strictly better than it (except edge cases, like Bank).
Have you seen the City. That one goes from the worst village to the best laboratory.

Now I also wonder when I would pick it. A buy in an engine is never wrong. Would you buy it if you expect 1 pile going out fast... maybe. Defintly if you could upgrade it immidialty with another card. If you get attacked a lot, burn down a pile and get silver to keep roling. And if you expect that 2 piles will be empty quickly you would by it.

The question is, are there enough edge cases that you can make it work. I don't know yet.

You can at least stack Cities as a makeshift village before they become labs. Gold Miner feels it's only useful in a slog, buying it when the curses are about to run out. It's really a non-terminal silver that gains silvers, not exactly amazing, and when you're gaining Golds it's a bit too late in the game to use them anyway.

Can it go to $3? I think it's too weak at $4 but it might be more interesting at that price point.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: June 09, 2020, 12:41:18 am »

Gold Miner $4
+1 action
+1 buy

A buy in an engine is never wrong.
Huh? Flooding yourself with junk for half of the game and then with semi-useful stop cards is nearly always wrong in an engine. The only potentiall good stuff this does for engine play is the non-varible Treasure stuff, i.e. the non-terminal Buy.

Marpharos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: June 09, 2020, 09:44:59 am »

Loom - $4
+$2
-

Here’s it updated then:
Loom - $4
+$2
-

I think you should add from where the card is discarded, like the wording in Market Square.

I presume it's from the hand, so it would be:

"When you gain a Curse, you may discard this from your hand to gain a Gold."

I was following the wording used on Sleigh and Beggar but I think you might be right. The wording as it appears for Market Square and Trader both apply to gaining a card whereas the two I looked at required discarding effects. I can’t imagine leaving of wording out will result in many issues - how could you discard it if it’s in your deck/discard? Even still, here is my updated entry:

Loom - $4
+$2
-
When you gain a Curse, you may discard this from your hand to gain a Gold.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5973 on: June 09, 2020, 10:09:44 am »

Goblin • $4 • Action
You may trash a Treasure
from your hand.
If you trashed a Gold,

Why does it let you trash a Gold to gain a Gold? You're never going to do it and it adds an extra line of text.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: June 09, 2020, 10:20:24 am »

Goblin • $4 • Action
You may trash a Treasure
from your hand.
If you trashed a Gold,

Why does it let you trash a Gold to gain a Gold? You're never going to do it and it adds an extra line of text.

Because that's the truest to the original implementation of the card.
Because I want it to.
Because the text is a reasonable size with that extra line of text and players aren't required to choose it.
Maybe you're using it with Livery or Labyrinth or Devils Workshop, where something cares about how many cards you've gained this turn.
Maybe you wanna run out the Gold pile to win a Keep or Palace balance.
Maybe you're obligated to play it via Herald or Piazza and want to keep your deck balance as-is.
Maybe you're behind in a Possession + Keep game and you want to catch up on Golds.
There's weird little edge cases where it'll matter and most of the time you can ignore it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:26:01 am by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 327  All

Page created in 1.875 seconds with 22 queries.