Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547056 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5875 on: June 02, 2020, 02:51:43 pm »

[This entry has been swapped out for Consignor, see below]

My card for this week - a revamped (from a past contest*) Inquisitor.

Uses Exile from Menagerie and Storyteller's unique "play Treasures during Action phase, then pay your all your coins" mechanic.

Inquisitor - Action - $4
+$1

Choose one: Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply; or you may play a Treasure from your hand, then pay all of your $ (including the $1 from this) to play a card from your Exile mat costing up to $2 more than the $ you paid.

* amusingly, at the time, Menagerie had been announced, and this was my attempt to predict what the Exile mat could be used for. Now it just uses the exile mat.

Any feedback is welcome - I think this will definitely need some play testing to see if it's actually interesting, but I hope the ability to play and effectively gain your Exiled cards from this is useful. Without playing a treasure, you can play a $3 from your Exile, and it would just taker a silver to play a $5 card in Exile.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:13:34 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: June 02, 2020, 04:32:23 pm »

Uses Exile from Menagerie and Storyteller's unique "play Treasures during Action phase, then pay your all your coins" mechanic.

Inquisitor - Action - $4
+$1

Choose one: Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply; or you may play a Treasure from your hand, then pay all of your $ (including the $1 from this) to play a card from your Exile mat costing up to $2 more than the $ you paid.

* amusingly, at the time, Menagerie had been announced, and this was my attempt to predict what the Exile mat could be used for. Now it just uses the exile mat.

Any feedback is welcome - I think this will definitely need some play testing to see if it's actually interesting, but I hope the ability to play and effectively gain your Exiled cards from this is useful. Without playing a treasure, you can play a $3 from your Exile, and it would just taker a silver to play a $5 card in Exile.

Turn X – Spend a buy and $4 to buy inquisitor
Turn X+1 – Play Inquisitor to exile a card and give $1. In this play it is terminal.
Turn X+2 – Play Inquisitor and maybe a Treasure to play that card from exile.

If the card you exiled costs $4 or less you could buy it at turn X instead of Inquisitor and play it both at turns X+1 and X+2, without the cost of a terminal space in turn X+1.
If the card exiled costs $5, you have to play a Silver at turn X+2. With this Silver in deck, you probably would be able to buy that $5 card at turn X or X+1 and play at turn X+2. The same for a Gold and a $6 card.
You don’t have to pay for the cards you gain with Inquisitor, but each time you need two plays of Inquisitor and a play of a Treasure. The final effect is of a $3 cost reducer which needs two plays to trigger, being one of them paired with a Treasure, and is vaild only for one card.
In general, it seems to me to be very slow to begin to produce benefits. Maybe it could even end up without produce them at all.
It changes a bit with other cards that care about exile, but would be better if Inquisitor would be stronger by itself.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: June 02, 2020, 04:38:32 pm »

Inquisitor - Action - $4
+$1

Turn X+1 – Play Inquisitor to exile a card and give $1. In this play it is terminal.

If the card you exiled costs $4 or less you could buy it at turn X instead of Inquisitor and play it both at turns X+1 and X+2, without the cost of a terminal space in turn X+1.
If the card exiled costs $5, you have to play a Silver at turn X+2. With this Silver in deck, you probably would be able to buy that $5 card at turn X or X+1 and play at turn X+2. The same for a Gold and a $6 card.
You don’t have to pay for the cards you gain with Inquisitor, but each time you need two plays of Inquisitor and a play of a Treasure. The final effect is of a $3 cost reducer which needs two plays to trigger, being one of them paired with a Treasure, and is vaild only for one card.
In general, it seems to me to be very slow to begin to produce benefits. Maybe it could even end up without produce them at all.
It changes a bit with other cards that care about exile, but would be better if Inquisitor would be stronger by itself.

It's Camel Train with +1 money and without a free gold at worst. I think that alone would be enough to be worth 4$, the fact that you don't need to buy the exiled card to gain it by using the second option (and it plays it so you're not losing much by doing this) makes it flexible enough to be a good 4$.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: June 02, 2020, 09:58:04 pm »

Inquisitor - Action - $4
+$1

It's Camel Train with +1 money and without a free gold at worst. I think that alone would be enough to be worth 4$, the fact that you don't need to buy the exiled card to gain it by using the second option (and it plays it so you're not losing much by doing this) makes it flexible enough to be a good 4$.

Yes, I think you're right. I was thinking about the card as you always want the play part to release the gained card from exile, but it's a plus, so it's really better than I was thinking.

In the Secret History, DXV says that he thought that Camel Train wasn't good enough without that free Gold, but the flexibilty you pointed about Inquisitor I think indeed makes it a good card.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: June 02, 2020, 10:51:10 pm »

Inquisitor - Action - $4
+$1

Yes, I think you're right. I was thinking about the card as you always want the play part to release the gained card from exile, but it's a plus, so it's really better than I was thinking.

In the Secret History, DXV says that he thought that Camel Train wasn't good enough without that free Gold, but the flexibilty you pointed about Inquisitor I think indeed makes it a good card.

Now I'm realizing that the card you exile and play with it could be a Treasure that you play in action phase after play two cards, so it has an intersting synergy with Draw-to-X (of course needing Villages). Other good interaction is with cantrip money. Play a Poacher before Inquisitor and you don't need to play a Treasure to play another Poacher from exile.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5880 on: June 03, 2020, 08:09:30 am »
+1

Bounty Hunter seemed utterly crazy when it came out but it’s not. So a terminal Gold is most definitely fine at $4. Also, if you play money and gain lots of Golds, discarding does not hurt. If you play an engine, you are unlikely to gain cards that costs more than $6. So all the card mainly hurts in an engine are Remodel strategies.

At $5 it can hardly compete with all the other terminal Golds.

Bounty Hunter is neither terminal nor a Gold, as it does not give +$3 unconditionally. IMO it's worse than a terminal Gold in Big Money games: It gives you +$3 only a single time (when exiling the first Estate; assuming no Shelters) until at least a shuffle after you have started greening. And even then, it only gives you +$3 when you're lucky to have it collide with a Victory card you haven't exiled yet.
(Exiling the first Copper only nets you +$2, and exiling further Coppers/Estates gives no economy at all.)

Also, there's several engine cards that cost $6 or more - Grand Market, Goons, King's Court,...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 08:30:42 am by Holger »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5881 on: June 03, 2020, 09:05:17 am »
+1

per the recommendations of the discord variants channel, i've pared this down a bit.

Aonbarr • $4P • Action
+4 Cards
You may Exile a card
from your hand.
You may return this to its pile
for +2 Actions.
-
Instead of paying this cards cost, you may pay PP;
if you do, +1 Buy and +$2

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: June 03, 2020, 10:00:49 am »

My updated mule/breeder entry:

Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: June 03, 2020, 11:04:34 am »

My updated mule/breeder entry:

Maybe it's better to say "return the set aside Mule back to the supply" instead of "return all set asides mules back to the suuply". Otherwise, it would return to supply Mules set aside by other cards like Cargo Ship or Research.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: June 03, 2020, 11:48:15 am »

Bounty Hunter seemed utterly crazy when it came out but it’s not. So a terminal Gold is most definitely fine at $4. Also, if you play money and gain lots of Golds, discarding does not hurt. If you play an engine, you are unlikely to gain cards that costs more than $6. So all the card mainly hurts in an engine are Remodel strategies.

Bounty Hunter is neither terminal nor a Gold, as it does not give +$3 unconditionally. IMO it's worse than a terminal Gold in Big Money games: It gives you +$3 only a single time (when exiling the first Estate; assuming no Shelters) until at least a shuffle after you have started greening. And even then, it only gives you +$3 when you're lucky to have it collide with a Victory card you haven't exiled yet.
(Exiling the first Copper only nets you +$2, and exiling further Coppers/Estates gives no economy at all.)

Also, there's several engine cards that cost $6 or more - Grand Market, Goons, King's Court,...
Bounty Hunter non-terminally yields 3 Coins at least 3 times in a standard Kingdom (Copper, Estate, Province) which ignores stuff like Duchies, Curses, Shelters or situationally Exiling a card you don't want anymore. It thins, sets aside Green, non-terminally provides Coins (which means that it is better than terminal Gold in SEVERAL WAYS the first 2 times you play it and yeah, I did intentionally ignore your weird argument that it is only a net 2 Coins as that implies that you do not want to thin Copper which is pretty much never the case; it is like saying that using Chapel to trash 4 Coppers is like taking 4D and thus worse than not killing those Coppers) and yet it is not broken.

If an Action card is only good in BM where terminal space is not used, well, that is not really particularly impressive (especially not if the handsize Attack does not hurt that much unless you wanna talk about BM-Remodel games which is frankly far too specific/rare to be relevant). The very reason all those terminal Golds have been introduced during the later expansion is due the realization that terminal space is limited and that you rather use it to draw than to do something which Gold always does.

I was pretty sure that terminal Gold is OK at $4 before Menagerie. But after Bounty Hunter, it is pretty much definitely the case. The effects of all those terminal Golds at $5 are usually so good that they do not justify terminal Gold being in the $4.5 price space (familar from Fugitive, i.e. the card is too good at $4, that it is too weak at $5 is obvious).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:50:34 am by segura »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: June 03, 2020, 01:23:26 pm »
+1

24 hour warning

Marpharos

• Baron
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: June 03, 2020, 04:51:46 pm »
+3

Here's my entry:

Barn
Project $4
When you gain a Victory card, gain a Horse.

If you're going to have all that land you might as well ride on it. I figured it should cost less than crop rotation and just felt as though $4 was right. I've not playtested this in any way so it might play better at $3, and you'd probably go for duchies before this if it cost $5.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5887 on: June 03, 2020, 05:54:21 pm »
+1

This entry has been modified as of 2020-06-03

Updated my entry:

You guys were right; 2 Horses is too strong for a Boon. Playtesting this lil' fella quickly revealed that. So now, The Meadow's gift is simply Ride in Boon form. Rivalry remains unchanged. It worked well imo.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 05:58:27 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: June 04, 2020, 01:19:51 am »
+3

Evacuate
+1 Buy
Once per turn: Gain a Ruins. If you did, gain 3 Horses.

Event
$0

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: June 04, 2020, 11:41:20 am »

Bounty Hunter non-terminally yields 3 Coins at least 3 times in a standard Kingdom (Copper, Estate, Province) which ignores stuff like Duchies, Curses, Shelters or situationally Exiling a card you don't want anymore. It thins, sets aside Green, non-terminally provides Coins (which means that it is better than terminal Gold in SEVERAL WAYS the first 2 times you play it and yeah, I did intentionally ignore your weird argument that it is only a net 2 Coins as that implies that you do not want to thin Copper which is pretty much never the case; it is like saying that using Chapel to trash 4 Coppers is like taking 4D and thus worse than not killing those Coppers) and yet it is not broken.

If an Action card is only good in BM where terminal space is not used, well, that is not really particularly impressive (especially not if the handsize Attack does not hurt that much unless you wanna talk about BM-Remodel games which is frankly far too specific/rare to be relevant). The very reason all those terminal Golds have been introduced during the later expansion is due the realization that terminal space is limited and that you rather use it to draw than to do something which Gold always does.

I was pretty sure that terminal Gold is OK at $4 before Menagerie. But after Bounty Hunter, it is pretty much definitely the case. The effects of all those terminal Golds at $5 are usually so good that they do not justify terminal Gold being in the $4.5 price space (familar from Fugitive, i.e. the card is too good at $4, that it is too weak at $5 is obvious).

I was only talking about Big Money in my posts, where Chapel is indeed not a good card, and trashing/exiling Coppers is at best marginally good. What's weird about saying that 3-1 equals 2? Using Bounty Hunter on the first Copper is like playing Moneylender in terms of economy, but I haven't seen anybody call Moneylender a "terminal Gold", as it clearly only increases your economy by $2 the turn you play it.

Of course Bounty Hunter is much better than a terminal Gold in most engine games, but since it does not consistently give $3 when played, in can be worse im BM games where exiling doesn't help that much. (Moneylender might well be better for pure BM games than Bounty Hunter because it effectively gives +$2 seven times per game, instead of giving +$3 only two or three times and +$2 once.)

And for a card to be balanced at a given price point, it should not only be balanced in engine games, but it should also not give rise to a dominant one-card BM strategy (like Rebuild does/did). I agree that a terminal Gold for $4 would be fine or even weak in engines, but I am not so sure about its BM strength. For deciding about the latter, comparing it to engine cards like Bounty Hunter does not really help IMO. Of the existing cards, the closest to a terminal Gold is probably Livery, which does cost $5. Its extra Horse bonus is fine but not that huge (you can gain a Horse for $2 with Ride, or two Horses for $3 with Experiment).

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: June 04, 2020, 12:06:55 pm »

I disagree with basically everything:
- BM is faster with Chapel than BM without it. The simulation dudes have probably proved this ages ago.
- If a card is strong in BM that is not an issue as money is rarer/weaker than engine play. For example Guildhall is crazy in and of itself but fine from a meta perspective as the strategy it supports is relatively weak in general.
- Livery is one of the strongest $5 Golds.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: June 04, 2020, 01:09:07 pm »
+2

Very late change, but going to change from Inquisitor to Consignor (if it doesn't get judged because of being on the late end, no worries, then Inquisitor can be my entry):

Exile from Menagerie, and Debt from Empires

Consigner - Action - $4
Take any number of @.
Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply costing $1 per @1 you took.
You may play a cheaper Action or Treasure card from your Exile mat.

Previous version:

Feedback always welcome (even if too late for tweaking for this week.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 02:44:32 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: June 04, 2020, 01:26:36 pm »

I like this a lot. Hard to say how good it is but I don‘T think that it is crazy.
If that is the case, you could slightly buff it via making the discarding non-mandatory (only matters if there is junk in Exile due to Coven, Sanctuary, Bounty Hunter or Worm).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 01:28:06 pm by segura »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: June 04, 2020, 02:00:25 pm »

Very late change, but going to change from Inquisitor to Consignor (if it doesn't get judged because of being on the late end, no worries, then Inquisitor can be my entry):

Exile from Menagerie, and Debt from Empires

Consigner - Action - $4
Take any number of @. Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply costing $1 per @1 you took. Put a cheaper card from your Exile mat onto your discard pile.

Feedback always welcome (even if too late for tweaking for this week.

I like this a lot. Hard to say how good it is but I don‘T think that it is crazy.
If that is the case, you could slightly buff it via making the discarding non-mandatory (only matters if there is junk in Exile due to Coven, Sanctuary, Bounty Hunter or Worm).

Am I missing something? This feels pretty weak when compared with Camel Train.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: June 04, 2020, 02:09:50 pm »

Camel Train does not discard stuff from Exile.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5895 on: June 04, 2020, 02:14:19 pm »

Even then most of the time this acts as +1 buy since you need to pay for the card you're exiling anyway.

And it doesn't really do anything other than +1 buy.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5896 on: June 04, 2020, 02:17:35 pm »

Camel Train does not discard stuff from Exile.

Right - it costs more to exile (you have to take the debt), but it does more - if you have something on your exile mat.

I'm sure there's room for tweaking - for example, segura's suggestion to make the discarding optional.

Also wording - I could just say "You may discard a cheaper card from your Exile mat."

I've considered also making it a card of the same cost (making the discard happen first) or adopting Inquisitor's "play a a cheaper card from your Exile mat." (i've also wondered if It doesn't have to be non victory, and if it's victory you trash this).

I think all these versions have merit, but being a late entry, I wanted to at least get the first version out there with the general concept - taking debt to acquire a card you can't yet afford by consigning it to your exile mat.

i.e. if I had more time, I'm sure this could be tweaked just right - but deadline has passed.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 02:20:18 pm by scolapasta »

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5897 on: June 04, 2020, 02:21:01 pm »

Oooooh this is capital, I think I get it now.

I think this can easily get away with +1 Action as it doesn't seem too good, and it's fairly hard to use the discard from exile in a meaningful way. Could prove to be really good with anything that can gain Provinces but it locks you into always having debt.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5898 on: June 04, 2020, 02:25:27 pm »

I think this can easily get away with +1 Action as it doesn't seem too good, and it's fairly hard to use the discard from exile in a meaningful way. Could prove to be really good with anything that can gain Provinces but it locks you into always having debt.

Hmm, good point re: Capital, maybe this kind of already exists. Which maybe makes the version that plays the card more interesting?

Take any number of @. Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply costing $1 per @1 you took. Play a cheaper non-Victory card from your Exile mat.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 02:29:37 pm by scolapasta »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5899 on: June 04, 2020, 02:31:52 pm »

Hmm, good point re: Capital, maybe this kind of already exists. Which maybe makes the version that plays the card more interesting?

Take any number of @. Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply costing $1 per @1 you took. Play a cheaper non-Victory card from your Exile mat.
how do i play a curse
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.