Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546540 times)

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5775 on: May 22, 2020, 04:51:03 pm »
+1

Due to the feedback of alion8me (thank you!), I think it’s better to avoid the situations in which Fruit Mix is clearly a better buy over Gold at the same price. So, I made the +Buy bonus to be given only if it’s worth $4 or more and made it +2Buys to be a better reward for to align four different treasures.

Being a card that prizes variety, this feature of an extra bonus for the challenge to achieve more variety seems to fit very well.

So I’m changing my entry to:

TROPICAL FRUITS• Treasure
$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
When you play this, it's worth $1 per different named treasure you have in play (including this).
If it's worth at least $4:
+2 Buys.

It’s a split pile with 5 Tropical Fruits over 5 Fruit Mix.

I will edit my original post to add this change.

More feedbacks are always welcome!

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: May 22, 2020, 05:21:54 pm »
+1

Divine Favor (Treasure, cost $6)
$2
Gain a Wish from its pile. You may trash this, to put the gained Wish on your deck.
Okay. This card needs a little explaining. I’m assuming Dominion is in a fantasy, D&D-esque world where the gods give favors in exchange for temple service. Favors are probably the currency of gods to mortals.
Looks far too strong compared to other >$4 gainers. It might even be overpowered if it did not yield any Coins.
Updating my entry:
Divine Favor (Treasure, cost $4)
$2
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you overpaid $1, gain a Wish from its pile. If you overpaid $2 or more, you may put the gained Wish on top of your deck.

Why not just make it cost $5, and tie the topdecking to overpaying at all?

Also paying $5 for a wish is crazy, even if you don't want the silver.

Great idea. thanks!
Update:
Divine Favor (Treasure, cost $5)
$2
-
When you buy this, you may overpay $1 for it, to gain a Wish from its pile to the top of your deck.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: May 22, 2020, 05:40:37 pm »
+1

Due to the feedback of alion8me (thank you!), I think it’s better to avoid the situations in which Fruit Mix is clearly a better buy over Gold at the same price. So, I made the +Buy bonus to be given only if it’s worth $4 or more and made it +2Buys to be a better reward for to align four different treasures.

Being a card that prizes variety, this feature of an extra bonus for the challenge to achieve more variety seems to fit very well.

So I’m changing my entry to:

$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
When you play this, it's worth $1 per different named treasure you have in play (including this).
If it's worth at least $4:
+2 Buys.

I will edit my original post to add this change.

More feedbacks are always welcome!

To fit better the wording of Dominion cards (like Villain and Patrician) I’m changing the wording of the new version of Fruit Mix from “at least ” to “ or more”.

So my modified new entry is:

Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
When you play this, it's worth per different named treasure you have in play (including this).
If it's worth or more:
+2 Buys.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: May 22, 2020, 05:57:00 pm »
+1

Update:
$2
-
When you buy this, you may overpay $1 for it, to gain a Wish from its pile to the top of your deck.

This way it's the same to it costs $6, since no one would spend $5 to buy a Silver.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: May 22, 2020, 06:54:38 pm »

Update:
$2
-

This way it's the same to it costs $6, since no one would spend $5 to buy a Silver.
That’s fair.
Update:
+2 Coffers
-

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: May 23, 2020, 01:52:02 am »
+1

The previous version was fine, you pay $6 to get a $6 onto your deck and a Silver. Might favour BM but it might also be situationally OK for engines.
The new version is crazy, you pay $6 and get a $6 onto your deck plus a card which is worth $5. Although you don’t want too any copies of it, +2 Coffers is pretty strong on a Treasure and you definitely want it far more often than a Silver.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: May 23, 2020, 07:39:22 am »
+1

The previous version was fine, you pay $6 to get a $6 onto your deck and a Silver. Might favour BM but it might also be situationally OK for engines.
The new version is crazy, you pay $6 and get a $6 onto your deck plus a card which is worth $5. Although you don’t want too any copies of it, +2 Coffers is pretty strong on a Treasure and you definitely want it far more often than a Silver.

What I said about previous version is that there's no need to it be a card with overpay in cost, since there would be no demand for a buy without overpay. It could simply cost $6 with the same results.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: May 23, 2020, 07:43:09 am »

What I said about previous version is that there's no need to it be a card with overpay in cost, since there would be no demand for a buy without overpay. It could simply cost $6 with the same results.

The overpay stops Wish from being able to gain Divine Favors for more Wishes, although there's no real problem with being able to gain a silver each turn.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: May 23, 2020, 08:16:03 am »

The overpay stops Wish from being able to gain Divine Favors for more Wishes, although there's no real problem with being able to gain a silver each turn.

Yes, you're right and it also is different with TFB.

What I think is that is better if the card would be also good to buy without overpay. But Masterpiece is there to prove it doesn't need to be this way.

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: May 23, 2020, 10:18:53 am »
+1

My entry is Wool, a commodity with a slight tie in with Way of the Sheep. The main premise was a Treasure that was worth more when you cornered the market so I made it a Duration to track that. I struggled with what it should do at the start of your next turn. Putting a card back on your deck could help you avoid playing Wool for only $2.

$? Wool $?
Worth $4 if no other player has Wool in play. Otherwise worth $2.
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards, and put a card from your hand onto your deck.
$5 Treasure Duration

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: May 23, 2020, 03:29:43 pm »

After some consideration, I've decided to make a change to my entry re: concerns about power level:

Seeds
Trash this. If you did, gain an Action card costing differently from any card you have in play. You may discard a Treasure card from your hand, to put the gained card on top of your deck.

Treasure
$4

It's a little bit more complicated but I think it makes the card more interesting in terms of when to buy it / how to play it.

My entry is Wool, a commodity with a slight tie in with Way of the Sheep. The main premise was a Treasure that was worth more when you cornered the market so I made it a Duration to track that. I struggled with what it should do at the start of your next turn. Putting a card back on your deck could help you avoid playing Wool for only $2.

$? Wool $?
Worth $4 if no other player has Wool in play. Otherwise worth $2.
At the start of your next turn, +2 Cards, and put a card from your hand onto your deck.
$5 Treasure Duration

Ignoring the possibility that this might be worth $4, this is like a more powerful version of Supplies (it plays notably different when you draw your deck, though). $5 seems like a reasonable cost for that effect.

The "worth $4" part either forces you to get two copies of this in games where you can draw to it consistently, or makes it very swingy in games where you can't. I'm also concerned about 1P advantage, especially in 3P+ games where there are no other options to spike key expensive cards early.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: May 23, 2020, 05:35:57 pm »

That is not correct. Without the overpay mechanism the card is much stronger with TfB cards, especially Remodel variants which can directly transform it into a Province. This is why I think that the overpay variant is superior.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: May 23, 2020, 06:52:25 pm »

That is not correct. Without the overpay mechanism the card is much stronger with TfB cards, especially Remodel variants which can directly transform it into a Province. This is why I think that the overpay variant is superior.

What I think is that is better if the card would be also good to buy without overpay. But Masterpiece is there to prove it doesn't need to be this way.

Yeah, as you can see, right after I realized it and said about TFB.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: May 23, 2020, 09:58:12 pm »
+1

Thanks for the feedback! Here’s my card now.
Divine Favor (Treasure, cost $6+)
$2
-
When you buy this, gain a Wish from its pile. You may also overpay $1 for this, to put the gained Wish on top of your deck.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: May 23, 2020, 11:41:01 pm »

$2
-
When you buy this, gain a Wish from its pile. You may also overpay $1 for this, to put the gained Wish on top of your deck.

Suggestion of a more concise wording to fit better the space for it in the card:

MrHiTech

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5790 on: May 24, 2020, 08:05:12 am »

$2
-

Suggestion of a more concise wording to fit better the space for it in the card:

That’s a good suggestion, but it goes against how the other overpay cards are worded (“When you buy this...you may overpay for it”). I think I’ll stick with the one I have, but thanks anyway.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5791 on: May 24, 2020, 10:38:03 am »

$2
-

That’s a good suggestion, but it goes against how the other overpay cards are worded (“When you buy this...you may overpay for it”). I think I’ll stick with the one I have, but thanks anyway.

Yes, you're right about this. Maybe it would be a bit more concise without the word "also" and changing "on top of your deck" to "onto your deck" (as the wording in Herald, for instance).

I hope I'm not being too intrusive. Please excuse me if I am.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5792 on: May 24, 2020, 05:32:09 pm »

Edit: 10 Mystic Stones in the pile.

This might be tough to play with online because it introduces a situation where you can't track your opponent's points exactly (and intentionally so). You could get around that by showing the range of possible points the opponent could have, but it would be janky. If people think that's too against the spirit of Dominion, I can change Mystic Stone to simply Exile cards. I don't think it would play out that differently.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:24:54 am by Something_Smart »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5793 on: May 24, 2020, 08:24:53 pm »

This might be tough to play with online because it introduces a situation where you can't track your opponent's points exactly (and intentionally so). You could get around that by showing the range of possible points the opponent could have, but it would be janky. If people think that's too against the spirit of Dominion, I can change Mystic Stone to simply Exile cards. I don't think it would play out that differently.

How many Shamans/Mystic Stones are there?

It also seems pretty difficult to obtain a Mystic Stone given that you probably need to sacrifice a lot of money on the turn you obtain it (as worded Treasure cards count toward the condition).

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5794 on: May 25, 2020, 02:32:23 am »

Shaman has 10 of course because it's a Supply pile. Mystic Stone having 10 is also fine because like you said it's hard enough to get them.

I don't think it's too hard, though. Like you might have to forgo playing one or two coppers, but I think Mystic Stone is strong enough to justify that. I originally had it as 1 VP per unique on the mat but I compared that to Fairgrounds and it was nuts; as it is, you can still do some serious damage with it, and given that it thins and can also pseudo-Exile provinces, there's a decent amount of boards where you want one no matter the cost. And hey, you have to pass an entire turn to get a Madman, and it still is often worth it.

I'm open to suggestions though, if you have an idea for modifying the way that you gain it.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5795 on: May 25, 2020, 12:26:59 pm »
+1

Is a Harem (hard to achieve more than 2 VPs with this) that Exiles worth giving up a Fugitive and perhaps even a Buy?
Perhaps, but it is weak and sifting and Exiling and partial substitutes. I like the Cornucopia flavor though.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5796 on: May 25, 2020, 10:11:16 pm »
+1

A lot of interesting and diverse cards to choose from. I feel like I should be calling 24hour warning time about now. That means it's going to be about 48hours until I finish judging, given that I will need at least a day to ponder the cards.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5797 on: May 25, 2020, 10:50:08 pm »

A lot of interesting and diverse cards to choose from. I feel like I should be calling 24hour warning time about now. That means it's going to be about 48hours until I finish judging, given that I will need at least a day to ponder the cards.

Thank you. I edited my original post to show the new version of Fruit Mix and add more comments to it. Please see there.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5798 on: May 26, 2020, 07:44:02 am »
+1

This is a split pile. There are 5 Kitsune on top of 5 Aburaage.
Kitsune
Types: Action, Doom
Cost: $3
+1 Card, +1 Action. You may discard the top Hex. If you do, choose one: Trash this and a card from your hand; or +1 Buy and +$2 and receive that Hex.
Aburaage
Types: Treasure
Cost: $5
This is worth $1 for each type among the cards you have in play (Action, Attack, etc.).
Kitsune are the servants of Inari Okami, a Shinto god.  They are shape-shifting spirits known in latter-day folklore for being tricksters who prey on the prideful, and so, mirroring Pixies, are cantrips that possibly cost a Hex.  You can play them as cantrips with no effect, or otherwise flip a Hex on a gamble in which you'll either lose the Kitsune as a one-shot cantrip-trasher or get a Grand Market for the cost of receiving that Hex.

Aburaage is a special type of deep-fried tofu.  It is said to be a Kitsune's favorite food and is thus given in offerings to the gods.  Seeing that tofu is fairly bland on its own, it counts the types of cards you have in play. That will always include Treasure and will virtually always include Action: Maybe you'll have a Doom card as well?
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5799 on: May 26, 2020, 07:45:08 am »

Will fix my entry as the following.

Credit tokens are essentially like coffers. During your turn, you may return N credit tokens to the supply, to gain a card from the supply costing exactly $N. You can do this whenever you are not resolving a played card. The longer you let your Credits build up,the bigger the potential reward - but don't wait too long! For example, suppose you have built up 6 Credit tokens. You could return 4 to the supply to gain a Smithy, or return 6 to gain a Gold. There's also the question of when exactly during your turn you should gain the card - maybe you can time it to get the card you really want at exactly the right time.

Note that you can't return 0 Credit tokens to the supply to gain a card, so you can't use that to empty the Coppers pile (or things like Wayfarer or Destrier, if they cost 0).

Gaining a card via Credits does not count as a buy.

Credit Note (Treasure, $5)

+$2
+1 Buy
---
While this is in play, when you buy a card, +1 Credit.
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.