Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546643 times)

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5725 on: May 20, 2020, 12:53:06 am »
+3

Wow. I'm flabbergasted. And thrilled. And mildly scared I'll stuff up the judging.
Thanks for the judging Something_Smart. I'm glad you could see the benefits of Mouse.

Now for this challenge, and I have a bunch of ideas but the one I am going to go with is.....

Contest 74: A lovely pair of coconuts.

Not everyone trades in coins. On Tropical Islands, or in Savage Lands or in times of hyperinflation and hunger when bread is more valuable than rubies, who knows what might be the measure of wealth instead; anything from exotic birds eggs to hot skewered rats. Your challenge is to come up with a Treasure which isn't standard currency but is instead a barterable good of some kind.
If it feels odd out of context feel free to explain how it comes in an expansion where a half-eaten doughnut makes perfect sense as a legitimate trading good (the Seagulls expansion perhaps?).

What is permitted....
A treasure card that is not in the supply and the cards if necessary that get to it.
A treasure card that is at the bottom of a split pile (and the card above it)
A treasure card that is also an action or victory card.
A treasure card with special set up rules (like it replaces starting coppers or whatnot).

But please no precious gems/metals, coins or paper money or generic terms like Spoils or Contraband. Instead unleash the oddly specific!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5726 on: May 20, 2020, 01:23:44 am »
+1

Just to be clear, this is the name and theme of a treasure card right? We don't have to come up with an alternate currency like potion, right?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5727 on: May 20, 2020, 03:20:24 am »

Just to be clear, this is the name and theme of a treasure card right? We don't have to come up with an alternate currency like potion, right?

Your card could produce a unique currency like Potion does but it doesn't have to. It can just as easily use the standard $ or refer to debt or coffers or variations on these. The only real limitation is that it is a Treasure.

A unique currency will be frustrating to judge if it depends on heaps of secondary cards you have to create in order for the treasure card to be evaluated. Please don't do this. DON'T create something like Donkeypoo and then a whole set of 14 cards which cost so much Donkeypoo. I will cry.

However if you came up with a card which generates a new kind of currency called an Elixir and then explained that Elixir was like coffers but for Potions that would be fine. Elixir is technically a new currency but it slots into existing cards. I wont cry. I can judge this. A new currency that works with current cards is ok. It's not required but it's ok.

Just not a whole new set of cards. Judging will be focused on the treasure card in relative isolation.

Hope that helps.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5728 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:53 am »

Credit tokens are essentially like coffers. During your turn, you may return N credit tokens to the supply, to gain a card from the supply costing exactly $N. You can do this whenever you are not resolving a played card. The longer you let your Credits build up,the bigger the potential reward - but don't wait too long! For example, suppose you have built up 6 Credit tokens. You could return 4 to the supply to gain a Smithy, or return 6 to gain a Gold. There's also the question of when exactly during your turn you should gain the card - maybe you can time it to get the card you really want at exactly the right time.

Gaining a card via Credits does not count as a buy.

Credit Note (Treasure, $5)

+$2
+1 Credit
+1 Buy
---
When you gain this, +1 Credit.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5729 on: May 20, 2020, 06:13:24 am »
+1

I think in this contest flavor has an important role.

I’m from Brazil, so I chose the currency to be fruits of my country. They really were one of the currencies here in barter times, at the same time of castles and knights in Europe. So, they have a similar flavor to Hinterlands expansion cards.

Here’s my entry:

TROPICAL FRUITS• Treasure
$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, it's worth $1 per different named treasure you have in play (including this).

It’s a split pile with 5 Tropical Fruits over 5 Fruit Mix.

EDIT: DUE TO FEEDBACKS, I CHANGED MY ENTRY TO:

Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
When you play this, it's worth per different named treasure you have in play (including this).
If it's worth or more:
+2 Buys.

(Following comments also edited to reflect the new version)

TROPICAL FRUITS
A Copper with a chosen bonus, a Coffers or a Villagers, which has big versatility, enabling good resources control. You can choose either use payload now, save payload or save actions.

Though it is a Silver+ at $4, since it is in a split pile with a more expensive card, it doesn’t have the main problem of Silver+ at $4, according to DXV:

The main problem with Silver-with-a-bonus for $4 (for games where people want Silver and aren't gaining it with a Silver-gainer) is that the pile just automatically empties. It's also not great that then you have that bonus in your deck, but didn't care about it at all, weren't making a decision there.

Besides that, it is only a Silver+ because the choice you have. When played it’s not a Silver plus something, it is either only a Silver or a Copper plus something.

Anyway, this issue about Silver+ at 4 seems overcome since Patron.

And in this case, you still may want to buy a silver to give variety to Fruit Mix. Tropical Fruits being a better choice than Silver in many cases also helps to buy them fast to reveal Fruit Mix sooner.

FRUIT MIX

A Bank variant which cares for treasure names and gives an extra bonus of +2 buys if you align four different treasures. The split pile itself has two different named treasures, so without other alternative treasures in kingdom it may worth up to $5. It may shine with these other treasures in kingdom, with Platinum and even sometimes be very strong with Capitalism, but it’s the same with Bank.

It’s a Bank variant but plays very different from Bank, since variety is tough to achieve. With four Coppers and Bank your Bank worth $5. For the same result with Fruit Mix, you would need five different treasures. It is more in the spirit of Cornucopia cards than Prosperity cards.

The +Buy bonus ensures you a best benefit from your additional money if it’s worth $4 or more. It is given only from $4 to more to avoid the situations in which it could be a clearly better option than Gold at the sime price. Being a card that prizes variety, this feature of an extra bonus for the challenge to achieve more variety seems to fit it very well.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:56:05 am by Carline »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5730 on: May 20, 2020, 06:47:10 am »

Trash Heap
$5
Treasure
$2
Gain a Scrap Metal.
-------
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

Scrap Metal
$0*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Buy
Return this to its pile.
(This is not in the Supply.)

So, Trash Heap doesn't just deal in $, it gives some pieces of Scrap Metal. This Scrap Metal isn't valuable enough to give $, but it essentially acts as a +Buy token. It's a Treasure so that it is redeemable in the Buy phase. Trash Heap is a Bridge variant where the +Buy is saved, but it isn't Throneable and it's more expensive. Hopefully there's no glaring problem with these cards that I haven't picked up on.
Oh, and by the way, there are 30 Scrap Metal cards in the pile.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 05:39:25 am by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5731 on: May 20, 2020, 08:06:49 am »
+2

Rice Bag
cost $4 - Treasure
+$2
You may Exile this for another +$1 per a Rice Bag on your Exile mat.

Japanese old currency.

EDIT: Fixed undesired behaviour. Now you have to exile to boost.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:21:30 am by majiponi »

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5732 on: May 20, 2020, 12:22:31 pm »
+3

Rai Stone
Treasure
$5
------------
+$3
+1 Buy
At the end of the Buy phase, if you did not buy a Victory card, gain a Curse.

Rai Stones are fascinating - they're limestone discs used by the people of Yap as a currency. They vary widely in size though, with diameters up to 4 metres, so often when they're traded it's in name only, and the object physically stays where it is. In one case, one was dropped into the ocean and was never seen again, but everyone agrees it's probably still there, so it's still traded.

I'm not completely happy with this card - thematically, I've skipped over most of the things that are interesting about rai stones and focussed on their ceremonial nature - they're primarily used for big, important transactions. I suspect something more geared towards them being cumbersome, or staying in one place, wants to be something more akin to a Project or Artefact. But it's mechanically cute, so I'll go with it for now.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5733 on: May 20, 2020, 12:44:13 pm »

Small Market & Innkeeper by Rhodos
Small Market is fine. It's a Moat with a buy, sometimes you'd pay $2 for that. (Sometimes I pay $2 for a Moat on a board with no attacks.) The reaction is a nice boost that's distinct from the other on-discard reactions. Innkeeper is cool but it seems like more trouble than it's worth to get and hold onto Accommodations, though I will admit that it synergizes with Small Market nicely-- Small Market's reaction lets you keep up a steady supply of Innkeepers to continue to add Accommodations. Accommodation requires a very high action density to be that useful, but even when it's one-shot, it is two horses, so maybe it's worth going for. But it's gonna get pretty awkward when you run out of Estates and each Innkeeper is one-shot.

Thanks for your feedback and jugding  :)

I both agree and disagree on some parts. First, I guess you misread Small Market, it gives Actions and not Cards. Then I agree on that you probably don't want another Innkeeper after the first one. But I don't see how that makes it weak or bad designwise. There are some cards in the game that are mainly singleton (Marauder, Moneylender, Loan, Trading Post,...) and that's fine. Though there is the option to make Accommodations go to your Exile instead of back onto the pile, to make additional Innkeepers more interesting. I gotta think about that.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5734 on: May 20, 2020, 03:12:32 pm »
+1

Cow
$5 - Treasure
Worth $2
When you discard this from play during Clean-up, if you haven't bought any Victory cards this turn, you may put this on top of the deck.

The "no victory card" clause prevents gaining a Province per turn with 4 Cows.
Flavor: Cows are the main measure of wealth in many agricultural societies. "Cash cow" is a kind of business that generates steady profit.
Art: This "Cash Cow" sculpture is located at the entrance to the Happy Hollow park in San Jose, CA.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5735 on: May 20, 2020, 03:25:37 pm »

I’m from Brazil, so I chose the currency to be fruits of my country. They really were one of the currencies here in barter times, at the same time of castles and knights in Europe. So, they have a similar flavor to Hinterlands expansion cards.

Here’s my entry:

$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
+1 Buy
When you play this, it's worth $1 per different named treasure you have in play (including this).

TROPICAL FRUITS
A Copper with a chosen bonus, a Coffers or a Villagers, which has big versatility, enabling good resources control. You can choose either use payload now, save payload or save actions.

FRUIT MIX
A Bank variant which cares for treasure names and give +buy. The split pile itself has two different named treasures, so without other alternative treasures in kingdom it may worth up to $5. It may shine with these other treasures in kingdom and even sometimes be very strong with Capitalism, but it’s the same with Bank. The +Buy feature ensures you won’t lose your additional money.

With $4 in hand it’s (almost) strictly better to buy Tropical Fruits than Silver, but you still may want to buy some Silver for more diversity to Fruit Mix. Tropical Fruits being a better choice than Silver in most cases also helps to buy them fast to reveal Fruit Mix sooner.

Feedbacks are always welcome.

Tropical Fruits is a silver+ at 4, which is usually a bad idea.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5736 on: May 20, 2020, 03:52:31 pm »

First, I guess you misread Small Market, it gives Actions and not Cards.
Oh I totally did, haha, my bad. Sorry :P

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5737 on: May 20, 2020, 04:31:17 pm »

Rice Bag
cost $4 - Treasure
+$2
Another +$1 per a Rice Bag on your Exile mat.
You may Exile this.

Japanese old currency.
Looks extremely overpowered - it's growing into a Gold very easily, and has a good potential to grow into a Platinum. Comparing to Pirate Ship, this is non-terminal, and starts from $2. I would set the price to $5 and either limit the Exile bonus to total +$1 or made it discard from Exile to get the bonus.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5738 on: May 20, 2020, 04:32:04 pm »

Edit: Changed entry, see version later in the thread.

Wow, I sure did forget to come back and clean up my entry for last week; I kept meaning to but always got myself sidetracked somehow.

Anyways...

Seeds
Trash this. If you did, gain an Action card costing differently from any card you have in play onto your deck.

Treasure
$4

Credit tokens are essentially like coffers. During your turn, you may return N credit tokens to the supply, to gain a card from the supply costing exactly $N. You can do this whenever you are not resolving a played card. The longer you let your Credits build up,the bigger the potential reward - but don't wait too long! For example, suppose you have built up 6 Credit tokens. You could return 4 to the supply to gain a Smithy, or return 6 to gain a Gold. There's also the question of when exactly during your turn you should gain the card - maybe you can time it to get the card you really want at exactly the right time.

Gaining a card via Credits does not count as a buy.

Credit Note (Treasure, $5)

+$2
+1 Credit
+1 Buy
---
When you gain this, +1 Credit.
I like the idea of the credit tokens. However, I'm worried that Credit Note is a bit weak (it seems unlikely that you would gain more than one card per credit note in your deck most of the time).

Trash Heap
$5
Treasure
$1
Gain a Scrap Metal.
-------

Scrap Metal
$0*
Treasure
+1 Card
+1 Buy

So, Trash Heap doesn't just deal in $, it gives some pieces of Scrap Metal. This Scrap Metal isn't valuable enough to give $, but it essentially acts as a +Buy token. It's a Treasure so that it is redeemable in the Buy phase. Trash Heap is a Bridge variant where the +Buy is saved, but it isn't Throneable and it's more expensive. Hopefully there's no glaring problem with these cards that I haven't picked up on.

Is Scrap Metal supposed to return itself to its pile? You make a comparison with a +Buy token that doesn't make sense to me otherwise. Either way, this seems a bit weak to me based on comparison with Highway. The +1 Card on Scrap Metal can also make it feel pretty bad because it always draws actions dead.

Cow
$5 - Treasure
Worth $2
When you discard this from play during Clean-up, if you haven't bought any Victory cards this turn, you may put this on top of the deck.

Flavor: Cows are the main measure of wealth in many agricultural societies. "Cash cow" is a kind of business that generates steady profit.
Art: This "Cash Cow" sculpture is located at the entrance to the Happy Hollow park in San Jose, CA.

I feel like this encourages money strategies too much, as it seems strong in a money context and weak for other types of decks.

Rai Stone
Treasure
$5
------------
+$3
+1 Buy
At the end of the Buy phase, if you did not buy a Victory card, gain a Curse.

Rai Stones are fascinating - they're limestone discs used by the people of Yap as a currency. They vary widely in size though, with diameters up to 4 metres, so often when they're traded it's in name only, and the object physically stays where it is. In one case, one was dropped into the ocean and was never seen again, but everyone agrees it's probably still there, so it's still traded.

I'm not completely happy with this card - thematically, I've skipped over most of the things that are interesting about rai stones and focussed on their ceremonial nature - they're primarily used for big, important transactions. I suspect something more geared towards them being cumbersome, or staying in one place, wants to be something more akin to a Project or Artefact. But it's mechanically cute, so I'll go with it for now.

This card also feels very money-ish to me.

Here’s my entry:

$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
+1 Buy

TROPICAL FRUITS

FRUIT MIX
A Bank variant which cares for treasure names and give +buy. The split pile itself has two different named treasures, so without other alternative treasures in kingdom it may worth up to $5. It may shine with these other treasures in kingdom and even sometimes be very strong with Capitalism, but it’s the same with Bank. The +Buy feature ensures you won’t lose your additional money.

With $4 in hand it’s (almost) strictly better to buy Tropical Fruits than Silver, but you still may want to buy some Silver for more diversity to Fruit Mix. Tropical Fruits being a better choice than Silver in most cases also helps to buy them fast to reveal Fruit Mix sooner.

Fruit Mix feels very similar to Bank to me.

Rice Bag
cost $4 - Treasure
+$2
Another +$1 per a Rice Bag on your Exile mat.
You may Exile this.

Japanese old currency.

This seems really strong to me, it's like a stronger Stockpile that only removes itself from your deck if you want it to. Getting both the normal effect of the card and being able to Exile it on the same turn make it relatively low-opportunity cost to scale when compared to cards like Miser and Pirate Ship, which are both terminal and require you to spend an entire play of the card just to power it up (granted, both of those cards are pretty weak).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:29:46 pm by alion8me »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5739 on: May 20, 2020, 04:33:07 pm »

Here’s my entry:

$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
+1 Buy

TROPICAL FRUITS

FRUIT MIX

The main problem with Silver-with-a-bonus for $4 (for games where people want Silver and aren't gaining it with a Silver-gainer) is that the pile just automatically empties. It's also not great that then you have that bonus in your deck, but didn't care about it at all, weren't making a decision there.

Thank you! Yes, usually it is, but I think in a split pile with an expensive card it don't have what is the main problem of it, which is automatically empty pile, as pointed by DXV in above quote.

Also, as I said in my post, there would be still interest in buying Silver to give variety to Fruit Mix.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:05:57 pm by Carline »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5740 on: May 20, 2020, 04:51:00 pm »
+2

I made sort of a reverse heirloom.

Bee • $0 • Treasure
Choose one:
Cards cost $1 less this turn;
or +1 Buy.
-
Setup: Replace the top 12 cards of the Coppers Supply pile with as many Bees.

When a card tells you to gain a Copper, gain a Bee instead.

It's not a kingdom card but instead a change up to the starting setup like shelters, heirlooms, etc.

The "gain a bee instead" clause is because these are still like 80% a "junk" card but they can still enable some shenanigans (similar to how Survivors or Ruined Market have some non-terrible use cases.)

Pile includes twelve bees and a randomizer.

Also it's definitely named after the simpsons bit where Abe Simpson took the ferry over to shelbyville

edit: made some wording changes to get the font size a little bigger; no real functional changes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:31:19 pm by spineflu »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5741 on: May 20, 2020, 04:58:07 pm »
+1

Here’s my entry:

$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
+1 Buy

TROPICAL FRUITS

FRUIT MIX

Thank you! As I said it's a Bank variant, but I think it plays very different from Bank, since variety is tough to achieve. With four Coppers and Bank your Bank worth $5. For the same result with Fruit Mix, you would need five different treasures. It is more in the spirit of Cornucopia cards than Prosperity cards. It also has +Buy.

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5742 on: May 20, 2020, 05:29:52 pm »

Here’s my entry:

$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
+1 Buy

TROPICAL FRUITS

FRUIT MIX

Thank you! As I said it's a Bank variant, but I think it plays very different from Bank, since variety is tough to achieve. With four Coppers and Bank your Bank worth $5. For the same result with Fruit Mix, you would need five different treasures. It is more in the spirit of Cornucopia cards than Prosperity cards. It also has +Buy.

I suppose it's a bit harder to get it to "pop off" like Bank. I guess I'm worried that this becomes a far superior alternative to Gold most of the time because it will almost always be worth at least $3 and it has a +Buy on it too.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5743 on: May 20, 2020, 05:39:29 pm »
+1

Here’s my entry:

$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
+1 Buy

TROPICAL FRUITS

FRUIT MIX

I suppose it's a bit harder to get it to "pop off" like Bank. I guess I'm worried that this becomes a far superior alternative to Gold most of the time because it will almost always be worth at least $3 and it has a +Buy on it too.

Yes, but it's not an automatic Gold+, you have to align three different treasures for it to be. Also, it's the second card of a split pile, not available all the time and with the extra cost of buying top cards first. Besides that, you probably would want to buy Gold anyway to give the variety needed by Fruit Mix.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:21:49 pm by Carline »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5744 on: May 20, 2020, 06:02:01 pm »

Trash Heap
$5
Treasure
$1
Gain a Scrap Metal.
-------

Scrap Metal
$0*
Treasure
+1 Card
+1 Buy

Is Scrap Metal supposed to return itself to its pile? You make a comparison with a +Buy token that doesn't make sense to me otherwise. Either way, this seems a bit weak to me based on comparison with Highway. The +1 Card on Scrap Metal can also make it feel pretty bad because it always draws actions dead.
Oops! Yeah, I totally meant for it to return to its pile. Also, thanks for the feedback. I will make Trash Heap better.

Am I allowed, contest wise, to make Scrap Metal an Action?
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

alion8me

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5745 on: May 20, 2020, 06:46:07 pm »
+1

Here’s my entry:

$1
Choose one:
+1 Coffers; or
+1 Villager.

FRUIT MIX • Treasure
+1 Buy

TROPICAL FRUITS

FRUIT MIX

Yes, but it's not an automatic Gold+, you have to align three different treasures for it to be. Also, it's the second card of a split pile, not available all the time and with the extra cost of buying top cards first. Besides that, you probably would want to buy Gold anyway to give the variety needed by Fruit Mix.

Aligning three different treasures is not very difficult. Fruit Mix counts as one of those three so you really only need a copper + something else (which you almost certainly have a lot of thanks to the strength of Tropical Fruits).

It is true that it isn't available all the time; however, the strength of Fruit Mix makes me think that this will almost always be available when you want it in the games where you would buy it anyways. I don't see myself picking up a gold in Fruit Mix games most of the time because by the time I have a Fruit Mix either a) I'm drawing my deck and getting +$4 from each fruit mix is enough (assuming copper, silver, tropical fruits) or b) I'm not drawing that much so it's unlikely that buying a gold actually increases variety.

It's definitely worse than Gold in sloggy games but I don't think that's enough to make it not too good in the average case.

Bee • $0 • Treasure
Choose one:
or +1 Buy.
-
Setup: Remove the top 3 cards of the Coppers Supply pile per player; replace them with as many Bees.

When a card tells you to gain a Copper, gain a Bee instead if it is available in the Supply.

It's not a kingdom card but instead a change up to the starting setup like shelters, heirlooms, etc.

The "gain a bee instead" clause is because these are still like 80% a "junk" card but they can still enable some shenanigans (similar to how Survivors or Ruined Market have some non-terrible use cases.)

How do you decide whether or not to play with Bee? It sounds interesting but I feel that it will usually end up not being gained at all. There are a fair number of official cards that I think end up being gained/bought less often than this though, so that's probably OK.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5746 on: May 20, 2020, 06:48:44 pm »

Cow
$5 - Treasure
Worth $2

Treasury is to Cow what Poacher (without empty pile) is to Silver. If your average card is better than Copper, Treasury is better than Cow.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5747 on: May 20, 2020, 07:00:27 pm »
+2

The Treasure:
Swan - Treasure, $0* cost.
$2
When you next buy a non-Victory card this turn, exchange this for a copy of the bought card.

And 2 gainers:
Swannery - Project, $5 cost.
When you shuffle to make a new deck, first gain a Swan.

Swanherd - Action, $5 cost.
Gain a Swan. You may trash a card from your hand, then +1 Card per card you've trashed this turn.

Swans could be eaten for meat during medieval times, and monks could keep a swannery to sustain themselves or provide a meal for important guests. Their feathers could also be used for hats and quill pens. And yes, someone appointed to manage the swannery was/is called a swanherd.

Swan is similar to Feast to reflect those distinguished meals they made, becoming a copy of a bought card and giving $2 towards that card. That can speed the game up a fair bit, so its gainers need to not be too fast themselves.

Swannery gets you one Swan per shuffle. As you get more Swans the deck usually gets thicker, decreasing the gain rate; unless of course you gain drawing power, so there could be a better gain trigger here.

Swanherd likes having a lot of cards to trash (to have a kind of connection to Goatherd), and Swans help there. I could've just made it 'gain a Swan' but that's a bit boring. Adding +Action is tempting but feels a bit crazy. It's trashing, payload and a bit of draw already.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5748 on: May 20, 2020, 07:21:14 pm »

Wow, I sure did forget to come back and clean up my entry for last week; I kept meaning to but always got myself sidetracked somehow.

Anyways...

Seeds
Trash this. If you did, gain an Action card costing differently from any card you have in play onto your deck.

Treasure
$4

In first turns it's a Feast+ which topdecks, maybe too powerful with $6 or $7 actions in kingdom or even strong $5 actions.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5749 on: May 20, 2020, 08:43:13 pm »

Bee • $0 • Treasure
Choose one:
or +1 Buy.
-
Setup: Remove the top 3 cards of the Coppers Supply pile per player; replace them with as many Bees.

When a card tells you to gain a Copper, gain a Bee instead if it is available in the Supply.

How do you decide whether or not to play with Bee? It sounds interesting but I feel that it will usually end up not being gained at all. There are a fair number of official cards that I think end up being gained/bought less often than this though, so that's probably OK.

It includes a randomizer; when you draw it / draft it / etc, you draw an additional kingdom card so you still have 10 kingdom cards.
re: use, I can see them being opted for when there's 1: sufficient draw and 2: +Buys (part of why these have +Buy as an option). They're slightly more powerful than a copper but yknow, still a stop card.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:50:06 pm by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.