Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547015 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5675 on: May 14, 2020, 08:52:42 am »
+1

Could you elaborate here? Without other +Buys, Comptroller + Gamble would let you flip the top 3 cards of your deck and play the Treasures and Actions before you run out of Buys, as you ignore Gamble's +Buys.
Sorry, that was dumb, I totally forgot that your card makes Gamble a "terminal" Event.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5676 on: May 14, 2020, 09:17:39 am »
+1

Can I get opinions on nixing the Reserve part of Comptroller and making it all on play? The "Events cost $1 less" can only appear alongside "Ignore any further +Buys" to avoid Event infinites. I'm not immediately convinced that it would make the card more fun looking at available sets of vanilla bonuses.
  • "+2 Buys, +$1" looks really bad next to Squire in the case that a Kingdom doesn't have a repeatable Event to abuse.
  • "+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy" could be workable, but the "ignore any further +Buys" becomes immediately oppressive and puts a big dampener on the Market Day combo.
  • "+1 Action, +2 Buys" is passable in stronger engines and makes terminal +Buys play worse with it, but the lack of real economy on that makes it even more niche.
  • "+1 Card, +1 Action, +2 Buys" sounds like too much.

I mean, as-is you can call it the turn you play it, but without it being a reserve it's going to be so situational if you can't time (or build a deck with which to time) the reserved effect.
If you were aiming to make it a little less controllable (but still stackable without splitters in the kingdom), you could have it be a Duration and use the Barge "this turn or next:" type wording
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 09:31:21 am by spineflu »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5677 on: May 14, 2020, 11:11:09 am »

VP/Coffers/Villagers interaction:

Hail Satan, hail yourself!

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5678 on: May 14, 2020, 11:29:27 am »
+3

Ledger
$3 - Action
+1 Buy
+$1 per card type in play.
-
When you gain this, if you don't have any Ledgers in play, you may play this immediately.

Favorite
$5 - Action - Attack - Doom - Fate
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard the top Boon and the top Hex. Choose one: receive the Boon or each other player receives the Hex.

Update: Increased the price of Favorite to $5

A card that loves card types and a companion cantrip with a ridiculous number of types.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 12:36:49 pm by grep »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5679 on: May 14, 2020, 11:44:06 am »

Ledger
$3 - Action
+1 Buy
-
When you gain this, if you don't have any Ledgers in play, you may play this immediately.

Favorite
$4 - Action - Attack - Doom - Fate
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard the top Boon and the top Hex. Choose one: receive the Boon or each other player receives the Hex.

A card that loves card types and a companion cantrip with a ridiculous number of types.

ooh and ledger is cheap enough that you can grab it with the not-usually-worth-it Earth's gift

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5680 on: May 14, 2020, 12:02:26 pm »

I assume that it's a physical "move", and Customs House cannot multiply the tokens (otherwise it's crazy).

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5681 on: May 14, 2020, 12:04:04 pm »

Wouldn't this be a dead Event in a Kingdom with no Coffers/Villagers cards?

Really love Ledger. Stuff like Courtier which deals with card types needs some love in Dominion. However, I dunno if a cantrip Hex giving Attack wouldn't result in a player's turn being completely demolished.
Bottom text

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5682 on: May 14, 2020, 12:12:52 pm »
+1

I assume that it's a physical "move", and Customs House cannot multiply the tokens (otherwise it's crazy).

Yes, it is a physical move. I'll get around to updating the wording to make that clear

Wouldn't this be a dead Event in a Kingdom with no Coffers/Villagers cards?

Really love Ledger. Stuff like Courtier which deals with card types needs some love in Dominion. However, I dunno if a cantrip Hex giving Attack wouldn't result in a player's turn being completely demolished.
Maybe Privatize should give you villagers? Would two be good?
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5683 on: May 14, 2020, 12:15:25 pm »

Ledger
$3 - Action
+1 Buy
-

Favorite
+1 Card
+1 Action

Favorite is a $5. If you take a look at the Boons, you realize that they are all of $5 level power: Field is Bazaar, Sea is Lab, Forest is Market.
Now on a pure cantrip that gets a Boon, you would have to discount the randomness. It would either be balanced at $4 or unbalanaced as $4.5.

But Favorite does 3 things more: interact with Ledger, potentiall cantrip Attack (which isn't something you should do at Coin costs yet might be OK because Hexes are weak) and above all offer you the choice between Boon and Hex.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5684 on: May 14, 2020, 12:33:32 pm »

Ledger
$3 - Action
+1 Buy
-

Favorite
+1 Card
+1 Action

Favorite is a $5. If you take a look at the Boons, you realize that they are all of $5 level power: Field is Bazaar, Sea is Lab, Forest is Market.
Now on a pure cantrip that gets a Boon, you would have to discount the randomness. It would either be balanced at $4 or unbalanaced as $4.5.

But Favorite does 3 things more: interact with Ledger, potentiall cantrip Attack (which isn't something you should do at Coin costs yet might be OK because Hexes are weak) and above all offer you the choice between Boon and Hex.
Ledger is not expected to be in the same Kingdom as Favorite (it is not a split pile), and very strong interaction is a feature. However having a choice between two weak effects is probably strong enough for extra $1 cost, and it's probably too wild for Favorites to bring more Favorites with Earth's gift. I agree to increase the price.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5685 on: May 14, 2020, 02:10:02 pm »
+2

Thought a long time before entering these 2.
House: House simply used to be "+2 Actions, +" which, for its cost, was favourable compared to Necropolis, but unfavourable compared to Fishing Village. So I added that last sentence after.
Merchandise: Merchandise is a weak-ish without a Village (it always gives at least since it can always name itself). Aided by one, it powers up quite a bit.

So now, you can do stuff like: House MerchandiseHouse, which sums up to , allowing you to purchase 2 more Houses straight up. From there on, your deck should pretty much explode. House complements Merchandise nicely, because it is such a cheap giving Village (Hamlet being cheap as well) and Merchandise's extra Buy paired with the it gives you will allow you to gain lotsa Houses. Then, Merchandise can name House and oops, you're suddenly rich. A 5/2 split with House and Merchandise in the Kingdom makes for a happy player.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:43:25 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5686 on: May 14, 2020, 02:29:03 pm »

Ledger
$3 - Action
+1 Buy
-

Favorite
+1 Card
+1 Action

Non-terminal boon givers don't play well, they tend to slow down games, especially as cantrips.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:30:25 pm by D782802859 »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5687 on: May 14, 2020, 02:47:53 pm »

Maybe Privatize should give you villagers? Would two be good?
Hmmm. In that scenario, I suppose Privatize would turn into an "infinite token generator that doesn't push the game toward an end condition", not unlike Monument. However, because of the high cost of Privatize paired with the slowness of it on its own, maybe this isn't so much of an issue? I've always struggled with tokens and their balance.

I think the experts need to chime in here. :)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 02:49:22 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5688 on: May 14, 2020, 02:58:32 pm »
+3

There are 12 Accommodations in the pile.

Small Market
It does a bit of everything, but nothing really good. Kind of  Squire in that regard. It guarantees that both Actions and Buys are available in the Kingdom, which often is enough of a reason to pick it up. When you are able to discard it, that is where it starts getting fun.

Innkeeper
Most comparable to Exorcist, but still quite different. So first you want to trash Estates with it, and later you trash this together with a Copper to put those beautiful Accommodations, you where sitting on, into your deck. The last sentence is what makes the card so interesting to me: It is a Trasher that can trash itself, to not be a bad card in your deck later in the game. But you cannot trash your Coppers effectivly with it, only one per Innkeeper. So you want to wait before blowing it up. But again, not to long as you do not want to wait for your Accommodations.

Accommodation itself is also interesting. It has high potential, but how long do you want to keep it alive? As your Actions are probably the best cards in your deck, discarding one is a great price. Maybe just use it as a One-shot...

And that is where Small Market comes into play. It loves to get discarded, and especially with Accommodation, since unlike most other cards it is restricted in what you can discard. So it's not Small Market instead of Copper, but Small Market instead of that lovely Smithy you'd like to play.
This combination can go pretty wild! :D

And of course the theme: You get the Accommodation for one night, but you can use it for longer, if you keep paying for. :)

Edit: Changed the Accommodation pile to contain 12 cards. With 4 players everyone can trash their starting Estates and get 3 Accomodations. That sounds fair to me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:57:45 am by Rhodos »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5689 on: May 14, 2020, 03:32:26 pm »
+1

how many Accomodations are in the pile?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5690 on: May 14, 2020, 03:45:34 pm »

Ledger
$3 - Action
+1 Buy
-

Favorite
+1 Card
+1 Action

Non-terminal boon givers don't play well, they tend to slow down games, especially as cantrips.
Why did you not shred all your copies of Scrying Pool then which takes far longer to execute?

Just because DXV did not like the cantrip that yielded Boons during playtesting Nocturne does not mean that all Dominion players in the world feel the same about it. I certainly don’t, as long as a design is sound (cannot be said about the aforementioned Scrying Pool) and interesting I don’t care whether it prolongs games.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5691 on: May 14, 2020, 04:26:08 pm »
+1

how many Accomodations are in the pile?
Good catch!
There are 10. The idea is to have enough, so that you don't have to fight for them, even when you play with more players. So I guess 10 will do it, but it is quite tough to say without playtesting. I might change my mind later on and make it 12.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5692 on: May 14, 2020, 08:08:15 pm »

Assembly Shop
Project
Cost: $6

At the end of your buy phase, you may discard any number of cards and gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

Monk's Village
Action
Cost: $4

+2 Actions
+1 Card
When you discard this from play, if your hand is empty, +1 coffer.

---
Assembly Shop is an alternate payload to combo decks.
Monk's Village is a 4 cost village plus.
Its bonus can be achieved by multiple ways, buy an Assembly Shop is the most reliable one.

Edit:
Assembly Shop replaces Engrave

Yes, Assembly Shop is nice. I don't know, maybe it would better don't give victory cards. With a Hounting Grounds or a Council Room in hand, it's a guaranteed Province in that turn.

About Monk's Village bonus, I have a rule doubt.

From Dominion rulebook:

The player places any cards that are in his play area (Action cards that have been played in the Action phase as well as Treasure cards that have been played in the Buy phase) and any cards remaining in his hand onto his Discard pile.

Does it mean that you must discard from play area before discard from hand? Or you can choose discard from hand before discard from play area?

The official rules are unclear but Jeebus's comprehensive compiled rulebook says discard cards in play, then discard hand (and then you can swap the order of the discarded hand/in-play cards so people don't know what you discarded from your hand).
I only know that because I had to look it up, I had this same question.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:45:42 pm by spineflu »

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5693 on: May 14, 2020, 11:32:47 pm »

Deacon

+1 Card
+1 Action

Once this turn, when you play a card, you may trash it afterwards.

Action
$4

Knave

+$1
+1 Buy
Each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.
-
When you trash this, each other player gains a Curse.

Action
$2

Merchandise seems really strong in general to me. In any engine-y deck you'll be playing multiple villages a turn, making this a great payload card in addition to drawing for you already. (The +Buy makes having other payload cards even more unnecessary.)

House sounds pretty good, but probably not too good because you won't always get to play it for the bonus, especially in the early game when it matters most.

Engrave
Event
Cost: $1

Discard any number of cards, gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

Monk's Village
Action

+2 Actions
+1 Card

---
Engrave is an event version of Artificer.
It reduces the pain of drawing a hand of dead cards.
Also, it enables new open strategies (like Alms).

Its bonus can be achieved either by trash, play actions with discard effects, be attacked by opponent, draw the right cards, or buy an Engrave event.
What makes the combo better is: engrave enables 4-4 open.

Artless, I'm asking myself if this end-turn Artificer is not too fast. I mean, in any engine you have to balance between draw power and payload. With Engrave, you can be focused only in get draw power and not worrying about payload during the whole game. What do you think about this?

You are right. A default payload makes it too easy to build an engine. Even if being nerfed, the card would still be problematic.

Isn't Engrave pretty weak for a payload option though? It's really good at getting you $5/$6 cards if you have a little draw but not great at scaling past that as it effectively only gives you $1 per card in hand. The reason Artisan can be explosive sometimes is because it gains to the top of your deck mid-turn, Engrave does neither of these and also costs a buy (the fact that it costs a buy makes it much worse than Artisan at gaining cheap cards as well). I agree that it can be somewhat powerful but I don't think it promotes boring strategies/overshadows other cards very much.

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5694 on: May 14, 2020, 11:43:47 pm »

Assembly Shop
Project
Cost: $6

At the end of your buy phase, you may discard any number of cards and gain a card costing exactly $1 per card discarded.

Monk's Village
Action

+2 Actions
+1 Card

---
Assembly Shop is an alternate payload to combo decks.
Its bonus can be achieved by multiple ways, buy an Assembly Shop is the most reliable one.

Edit:
Assembly Shop replaces Engrave

Yes, Assembly Shop is nice. I don't know, maybe it would better don't give victory cards. With a Hounting Grounds or a Council Room in hand, it's a guaranteed Province in that turn.

About Monk's Village bonus, I have a rule doubt.

From Dominion rulebook:

The player places any cards that are in his play area (Action cards that have been played in the Action phase as well as Treasure cards that have been played in the Buy phase) and any cards remaining in his hand onto his Discard pile.

Does it mean that you must discard from play area before discard from hand? Or you can choose discard from hand before discard from play area?

The official rules are unclear but Jeebus's comprehensive compiled rulebook says discard cards in play, then discard hand (and then you can swap the order of the discarded hand/in-play cards so people don't know what you discarded from your hand).
I only know that because I had to look it up, I had this same question.

Thanks. I need a new wording.
To avoid anti-synergy with night cards, I can't say "at the start of your upkeep".
"After playing night cards" is also not the right wording, as night phase is not available all the time.
Maybe I should skip the phase stuffs and use "when you empty your hand" instead.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 11:47:49 pm by artless »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5695 on: May 15, 2020, 01:54:10 am »

Deacon

+1 Card
+1 Action

Action
$4

Knave

+$1
+1 Buy
-

Action
$2
The Knave card you posted says something different from the text version.

I think both versions are pretty weak, and trashing is not an ideal trigger for cursing, since that implies there is already a counter available.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5696 on: May 15, 2020, 06:35:08 am »

Cargo Vessel • Action - Duration

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a non-duration action card from your hand. If you did, set it aside (on this) and put it into your hand at the start of your next turn.

Cargo Bales • Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
If this is in play and it's the first play of it after put it in play:
+
- for each Cargo Bales you have in play.

Cargo Vessel plays pretty much like a Caravan + Scheme, except it's somewhat weaker (as you already need to have the card you want to save in hand, and with Caravan + Scheme you could play the Scheme every turn). For cantrips, I think $5 costs that have the effect of playing a $4 and a $3 are fine powerwise - see Bazaar, Market, if a little on the weak side.

For Cargo Bales, you you phrase it as "if you played this from your hand", which deals with Throning and Command cards, and makes it have a little less text, but it introduces new interaction with stuff like Herald.

Both cards are probably fine if a little unexciting. The interaction is definitely there, but would probably be more pronounced if Cargo Bales did something with a little more impact than just +$.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5697 on: May 15, 2020, 08:18:48 am »

Something_Smart, please clarify this point: Is the idea to create cards that can also stand on their own or it's ok to create mutually dependent cards as I did?
I was thinking that people would create cards that can stand on their own, but you don't have to-- split piles are fine, and this Partner idea is creative and cool as well. Go for it.

Something_Smart allowed me to participate with the partner cards I created, which mention each other.

However, I still wasn’t feeling comfortable with it, since it doesn’t fit completely the initial scope of the contest. In some way, it’s easier to create an interesting interaction between two cards which mention each other than create two cards that are strong by themselves and also has a cool special interaction.

So, I’m withdrawing my first entry. Though I like the partner idea, I will leave it for an occasion it fits better.

This is my new entry:

Cargo Vessel • Action - Duration

+1 Card
+1 Action
You may play a non-duration action card from your hand. If you did, set it aside (on this) and put it into your hand at the start of your next turn.

Cargo Bales • Action

+1 Card
+1 Action
If this is in play and it's the first play of it after put it in play:
+
- for each Cargo Bales you have in play.

CARGO VESSEL

A kind of Cargo Ship or Haven for the actions you play with it. Like those cards, it increases your next initial hand by one card. It also has a kind of a Scheme effect, enabling better deck control and reliability. It’s also a Village. All these features make it a strong card in an engine. However, since you can play each copy of it only once at each two turns and it may miss shuffles, I think it's not extreme.

It plays only non-duration cards to avoid tracking issues.

Comparing the similar and different features of it to Haven, Cargo Ship, Scheme, Throne Room, Village and Wharf it seems good to me at .

CARGO BALES

A cantrip payload, which makes it especially good in engines. It decreases its power at each play, so it’s not broken.

The first one played is a cantrip Gold, a very good card.

The second played is a cantrip Silver.

The third, a cantrip Copper (a Peddler).

The fourth, only a cantrip.

After the fourth, you pay to play it if you want to draw with it.

The clause “If this is in play and it's the first play of it after put it in play” is intended to make only the cantrip part be affected by throne cards and command cards. Otherwise, it could be too strong. I don’t know if it’s the best wording for it, but I couldn’t find better.

Thinking of it as a Peddler with a bonus in first plays and a penalty in late plays, I think it’s ok at , which is the habitual price for peddlers with bonus (Market, Bazaar, Artificer, Treasury, Junk Dealer, Emporium, Fisherman).

INTERACTION

Cargo Vessel can play Cargo Bales and remove it from play, so the next copy of Cargo Bales you would play would also be a cantrip Gold. Besides that, the first Cargo Bales you have played would be returned to your hand in your next turn. And cantrip payload is maybe the best thing to return to hand with Cargo Vessel, it's non terminal and doesn't depend on good draw, it's always free money, a very reliable thing. It’s a strong combo but not extreme, since you need a copy of each card every time you do the trick. It is helped by returning Cargo Bales to hand in your next turn, but counterbalanced by Cargo Vessel being a duration, needing two turns to leave play.

Thematically, they fit each other very well. Cargo Bales gives you money and Cargo Vessel transports Cargo Bales to your hand in the next turn. Also they fit thematically Cargo Ship and Haven, which have some similar abilities to Cargo Vessel.

Feedbacks are always very welcome.

EDIT: DUE TO FEEDBACKS, I CHANGED MY ENTRY AGAIN. SEE POST FORWARD.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 03:37:55 am by Carline »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5698 on: May 15, 2020, 08:52:06 am »

Deacon

+1 Card
+1 Action

Action
$4

Knave

+$1
+1 Buy
-

Action
$2
should knave be an attack

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5699 on: May 15, 2020, 09:05:15 am »
+1

There are 10 Accommodations in the pile.
Interesting little triangle of cards! So if I'm reading this correctly, the only way to get the Accommodations in your deck is by trashing an Innkeeper to un-Exile them?

Knave not being of Attack type is by design? Because it does hinder the other players unconditionally with the “discard down to 2 cards” part, regardless if you Curse ‘em or not. And like Faust said, your quote text for Knave says +1 Buy instead of the +1 Action printed on the card image.

Merchandise seems really strong in general to me. In any engine-y deck you'll be playing multiple villages a turn, making this a great payload card in addition to drawing for you already. (The +Buy makes having other payload cards even more unnecessary.)
Merchandise, in its default state, can be seen as a Market that replaces its +1 Action with a +1 Card. That, by default, seems like a to me. Not cantriping into your next good Engine components is a serious penalty indeed. That missing +1 Action, I think, limits the potential of that card, which, in a vacuum, makes it seems like something on the lower end of the cards. However, yeah. It does get more potent paired with the right cards. If you chain 3 cheap cantrips before a Merchandise like, say, Pearl Diver (I don’t recommend buying 3+ Pearl Divers, but that’s another topic :D), then if you end your Action phase by playing a terminal Merchandise thereafter, you’ll reap a nice +. This makes the card worth more. I think it is somewhat Kingdom dependent.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:06:44 am by X-tra »
Bottom text
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.