Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546981 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5625 on: May 12, 2020, 11:10:54 am »
+2

Village Peddler • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-
The next time you play a Rag Dealer this turn, choose one: you first get +; or you first may trash a card from your hand.

Rag Dealer • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-
The next time you play a Village Peddler this turn, choose one: you first get +1 Action; or you first get +1 Buy.

Setup: Whenever Village Peddler is in the kingdom, add an extra supply pile with Rag Dealer.

As worded, your specific setup rule only goes one-way; I assume you want it to go both ways?

There's also the issue that this rule isn't on the card, and would be too wordy to fit on the cards nicely. So I would suggest a new mechanic similar to Heirlooms. At the bottom of Village Peddler, have a special bar where the Heirloom bar is on Nocturne cards that says "Partner: Rag Dealer". And vice-versa on Rag Dealer.

Then have a new general rule explaining how Partner works, that if a card has a Partner, then those 2 cards must always appear in the Kingdom together; choosing one of them for the randomizer gives you both of them. Still only 10 cards total; unless you feel like it's better for balance to contain 11 cards, but then you have to deal with the fact that theoretically both of them could already have been chosen within the initial 10 cards; at which point you basically are saying to add a random 11th pile.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: May 12, 2020, 11:13:35 am »
+3

I thought the idea was to create cards that can also stand on their own. That's what I did, anyways. There is unfortunately no flavor connection, but what can you do? Maybe the tribe breeds horses, who knows.

Tribal Village
Action -$4

+2 Actions
Set your $ to $3.

Stud Farm
Action - $2

+2 Buys
Pay all your $ and gain a Horse per $1 you paid.

Tribal Village is a very simple concept that Dominion does not have so far. Stud Farm is a Storyteller variant, but it plays quite differently. Both have a +2 Vanilla bonus, which is neat.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: May 12, 2020, 11:18:15 am »
+2

Porter • $3 • Action - Reaction
+1 Buy
This turn, Action cards cost $1 less.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Action
Porter should probably say reveal, since if you discard multiple cards, you don't actually need to show it to your opponent as worded. Also maybe make the bonus optional, for those cases where you don't want to trigger a reshuffle by playing Diadem with Storyteller :)
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: May 12, 2020, 11:21:43 am »

Village Peddler • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-
The next time you play a Rag Dealer this turn, choose one: you first get +; or you first may trash a card from your hand.

Rag Dealer • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-
The next time you play a Village Peddler this turn, choose one: you first get +1 Action; or you first get +1 Buy.

Setup: Whenever Village Peddler is in the kingdom, add an extra supply pile with Rag Dealer.

As worded, your specific setup rule only goes one-way; I assume you want it to go both ways?

There's also the issue that this rule isn't on the card, and would be too wordy to fit on the cards nicely. So I would suggest a new mechanic similar to Heirlooms. At the bottom of Village Peddler, have a special bar where the Heirloom bar is on Nocturne cards that says "Partner: Rag Dealer". And vice-versa on Rag Dealer.

Then have a new general rule explaining how Partner works, that if a card has a Partner, then those 2 cards must always appear in the Kingdom together; choosing one of them for the randomizer gives you both of them. Still only 10 cards total; unless you feel like it's better for balance to contain 11 cards, but then you have to deal with the fact that theoretically both of them could already have been chosen within the initial 10 cards; at which point you basically are saying to add a random 11th pile.

Thank you! I like this Partner idea, it fixes the issue about don't mention the specific rule in the cards.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: May 12, 2020, 11:29:25 am »

Village Peddler • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-

Rag Dealer • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-

What I thought is to have a randomizer only for Village Peddler. Anyway, your suggestion of Partner rule also fix it.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: May 12, 2020, 11:49:29 am »

I thought the idea was to create cards that can also stand on their own.

Something_Smart, please clarify this point: Is the idea to create cards that can also stand on their own or it's ok to create mutually dependent cards as I did?

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: May 12, 2020, 11:56:49 am »
+3

I thought the idea was to create cards that can also stand on their own. That's what I did, anyways. There is unfortunately no flavor connection, but what can you do? Maybe the tribe breeds horses, who knows.

Tribal Village
Action -$4

+2 Actions
Set your $ to $3.

Stud Farm
Action - $2

+2 Buys

Tribal Village is a very simple concept that Dominion does not have so far. Stud Farm is a Storyteller variant, but it plays quite differently. Both have a +2 Vanilla bonus, which is neat.
Stud Farm should probably let you play treasures so it's not dead on certain boards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5632 on: May 12, 2020, 12:08:28 pm »

Porter • $3 • Action - Reaction
+1 Buy
This turn, Action cards cost $1 less.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Action
Porter should probably say reveal, since if you discard multiple cards, you don't actually need to show it to your opponent as worded. Also maybe make the bonus optional, for those cases where you don't want to trigger a reshuffle by playing Diadem with Storyteller :)
ah good point - i was following Faithful Hound's wording, which has an implicit reveal. I'll add one. The full optional will be available when you discard it and opt not to reveal it - if you somehow mess that up and trigger a reshuffle on Diadem + Storyteller + Porter + something that makes you discard, that's not gonna be my incredibly specific problem.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:10:08 pm by spineflu »

LordBaphomet

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: LordBaphomet
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: May 12, 2020, 01:06:33 pm »

How about these two cards? A fun coffers/villagers interaction with victory tokens:

Privatize (Event) $5:
Remove your coffers for +1VP each. Move all of your villager tokens to your coffers mat, they are coffers now.

[no name yet] (Action-Duration) $4:
Whenever you remove coffers for any reason, put them here. At the start of your next turn, +1 Villager and +1$ for every two coffers here.
Hail Satan, hail yourself!

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: May 12, 2020, 01:11:41 pm »
+2

Alright, time to judge. As always, if you’d like to have a rebuttal against what I’ve written, please do so. It’s all about helping one get better at judging. So yeah, I encourage you to show me where you have disagreements and stuff. It’s all in good spirit!
Gaoler (Action)
Exile the top 3 cards of your deck, then put 2 cards you have in Exile into your hand.
Cool idea! A +2 Cards where you can pull them from a pool of set aside cards you’ve stockpiled before. But see, that’s the thing. That’s... essentially a +2 Cards in essence, no? Yeah, there’s some deck culling attributes with Galoer. But when you play it, the immediate effect is that it’s going to feel like a +2 Cards. Therefore, I believe this is overpriced. I think maybe a or even maybe a would have suited this card.

I have a rebuttal against this judgement. I did write a big ranty paragraph but really it boils down to you severely undervaluing the deck culling attributes. The net effect of this card is to increase your hand size by 1 and Exile a (usually) bad card from your deck. Which is significantly more than just +2 cards. The whole bringing cards back from Exile part is just a mechanism to do this Lookout-esque effect, it's much more succinct than "reveal the top 3 cards..." wording and has the added benefit of allowing the Exiley swappy stuff and interacting nicely with other Exile effects.

To hopefully make a constructive point about judging I would suggest that judges don't put so much weight on whether they think a card is over or under costed a little. We aren't play testing these cards and evaluating Dominion card strength just by reading them is really difficult.

I hope this isn't too cheeky but given I wasn't very happy with the judging of Gaoler last week, it's back! If that isn't okay I'll withdraw it.

Gold Mine was a reject from last week which I guess doesn't bode well for it, but I think it's fine. It has obvious applications for a money deck but I think it could be useful in an engine situation to inject a bunch of payload at once after you've got your deck under control. Similar to Windfall but hopefully with a bit more decision making, when to buy it, when to pull the trigger and such.

Usually you'll have to wait till you can gain a Gold before you get anything from Gold Mine but Gaolor can take those Exiled Golds directly into your hand, while potentially removing 3 junkers from the top of your deck.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: May 12, 2020, 01:12:05 pm »

Fertile Village (Action, $4)
+1 Card
+2 Actions

You may discard an Action, to gain another Fertile Village.

Midwife (Action - Reaction, $5)
+3 Cards
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may play it.

Fertile Village is actually a card I used several contests ago.

EDIT: In case it isn't obvious, this is not a split pile.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 03:03:24 am by grrgrrgrr »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5636 on: May 12, 2020, 01:49:59 pm »

I have a rebuttal against this judgement. I did write a big ranty paragraph but really it boils down to you severely undervaluing the deck culling attributes. The net effect of this card is to increase your hand size by 1 and Exile a (usually) bad card from your deck. Which is significantly more than just +2 cards. The whole bringing cards back from Exile part is just a mechanism to do this Lookout-esque effect, it's much more succinct than "reveal the top 3 cards..." wording and has the added benefit of allowing the Exiley swappy stuff and interacting nicely with other Exile effects.
Thank you for making me see something I clearly did not. You are not the first person who questioned what I wrote for Gaoler; Carline also argued in this card's favour. Right off the bat, I'll say that there was a lot of cards to judge this week and I was already running late. But most importantly, I'll say that I ain't no professional. Mostly just an amateur who's here to have a good time. I don't go too far into Excel sheets filled with Dominion analysis and stuff like that. So yeah, chances are, my thoughts should be taken with a (big) grain of salt.

That being said, I do try to compare proposed stuff here with already existing cards. Here I was thinking like: "Oh yeah. So Masquerade makes you draw 2 and trash something. Gaoler's kinda like that, but it Exiles instead. It has a better controlled draw, but it doesn't junk your opponents". Or I was thinking about Lookout too and how it also gives a +1 Action where this does not. It's a little bit of information overload. So this is how I came to the conclusion that the card was overpriced. I couldn't put an extra 2 lines of text on my feedback here, because, well, there was still 26 other cards to skim through.

To hopefully make a constructive point about judging I would suggest that judges don't put so much weight on whether they think a card is over or under costed a little. We aren't play testing these cards and evaluating Dominion card strength just by reading them is really difficult.
I'd argue that it's worth evaluating a card as a whole. Name, flavour, cost, effect, etc. To me, I see that as something that's all tied in together. Like, if someone, for instance, figure out a really cool effect for a card and just name it "Whatever" since they figure "hey, the effect's where it's at anyway", then I think it lowers the overall quality of what they are presenting. Likewise, the cost of a card is part of the integral idea. I think it's challenging that, balance wise, this part requires extra care and effort. Especially when we have existing Dominion cards we can compare them to. It becomes sort of a mini puzzle on itself. If we were to (mostly) discredit parts such as a card's cost, then there would be no need to put one in the first place.

Mind you, a card whose cost I thought was off-balanced was never enough for me to completely ignore it. Look at the card Oki from last week. I argued that it was somewhat overpriced, yet it is one of the finalists. This proves that all my attention did not just go into that factor.

I hope this isn't too cheeky but given I wasn't very happy with the judging of Gaoler last week, it's back! If that isn't okay I'll withdraw it.
Given the fact that we are allowed to re-enter a previous entry for this week's contest, I don't see why this would be a problem at all. It's all within the rules.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:51:40 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: May 12, 2020, 02:06:00 pm »
+2

I thought the idea was to create cards that can also stand on their own.

Something_Smart, please clarify this point: Is the idea to create cards that can also stand on their own or it's ok to create mutually dependent cards as I did?
I was thinking that people would create cards that can stand on their own, but you don't have to-- split piles are fine, and this Partner idea is creative and cool as well. Go for it.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: May 12, 2020, 02:11:27 pm »

You're fine!

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: May 12, 2020, 07:13:34 pm »
+2

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5640 on: May 12, 2020, 07:17:28 pm »

Recycle (Action, $5)

Draw until you have 8 cards in hand.
You may trash 2 cards from your hand; if you didn’t, trash this.

Goblet (Treasure-Reaction, $5)

+$2
———
When one of your cards is trashed, you may discard this from your hand, to gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

With Goblet in hand, play and trash Recycle and use the reaction to gain an expensive card - maybe even a Province, if you want it...

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: May 12, 2020, 08:27:50 pm »

Schoolteacher, an Ironworks-Secret Chamber-Hamlet mishmash. It can do lots of things! But none of them great, and it needs a discard. Dullahan gives you your discard pile on the next turn and you can reduce its cost by discarding.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: May 12, 2020, 08:50:03 pm »

Split pile: Golden Ages / Dark Ages

Golden Ages
cost $2 - Treasure
+1 Buy
Choose one: Exile a Gold from Supply; or discard a card from your Exile mat.
---
Worth 1vp per 2 Treasures you have on your Exile mat.

Dark Ages
cost $5 - Treasure
Exile any number of cards from your hand.
---
When this is in Supply, when you play a Treasure, +$1 instead of following its effect.

I wanted to do Poacher-like thing.

I think this clause under the line in Dark Ages makes all treasures in kingdom become coppers, doesn't? If what I'm saying is correct, these two cards won't work, since they are treasures themselves.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: May 12, 2020, 09:05:42 pm »

Tribal Village
Action -$4

+2 Actions
Set your $ to $3.

Stud Farm
Action - $2

+2 Buys

Stud Farm should probably let you play treasures so it's not dead on certain boards.

Or maybe it would give + like Storyteller, so you would gain at least one Horse at each play.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5644 on: May 12, 2020, 09:30:50 pm »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: May 12, 2020, 09:34:08 pm »
+3

Spineflu, my brain is polluted by other card games. I'll switch it out for deck.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: May 13, 2020, 01:44:37 am »

I like the theme, Cats getting rid of Mice.

Functionally, I think they would be possibly weak even at their best.

If both are in kingdom and you are lucky or has deck control to always hit the right card, trash you first Copper will leave you with two Mice. If you trash then with two Cat plays, in net total:

- You spend 2 Buys (or gains), $6 and 3 plays to get 3 draws (play mouse spend one), 1 Action and 1 Cooper trashed.

With three plays of Spice Merchant:

- You spend 1 Buy (or gain), $4 and 3 plays to get 3 draws and 3 copper trashed (with option of $ and Buy instead of draws, spending actions in this case).

You only have to have a Cooper in hand with Spice Merchant which is easier than hit the right card in the top of the deck.

Some suggestions of things I think could make them stronger if you add some:

- Put them in a split pile or find other way to always have both when one of them is in the kingdom

- Make Cat trashes cards up to $2

- Add to Mouse a bonus when trashed, like Rats

- Only gain a Mouse with Mouse if you trash a card

- Make one of them or both reveal two cards instead of one

I think also it would be better to use "Reveal" in Mouse instead of "Look at".

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: May 13, 2020, 02:04:35 am »

Fertile Village (Action, $4)
+1 Card
+2 Actions

You may discard an Action, to gain another Fertile Village.

Midwife (Action - Reaction, $5)
+3 Cards
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, you may play it.

Fertile Village is actually a card I used several contests ago.

I like Fertile Village, any action becomes a specific gainer.

A Vault and a Midwife in hand is a guaranteed $9. I don't know, maybe it's too strong.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: May 13, 2020, 02:20:09 am »

Recycle (Action, $5)

Goblet (Treasure-Reaction, $5)

+$2
———
When one of your cards is trashed, you may discard this from your hand, to gain a card costing up to $3 more than the trashed card.

With Goblet in hand, play and trash Recycle and use the reaction to gain an expensive card - maybe even a Province, if you want it...

It would be too insane if you have many Goblets in hand and trash a $5 card.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: May 13, 2020, 02:36:01 am »
+4

Recycle (Action, $5)

This is too strong. Consider that masquerade and recruiter are two of the strongest trashers in the game, for drawing 2 and trashing one. This draws 4 and trashes 2, which is way OP!
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.