Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546637 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5600 on: May 11, 2020, 10:24:34 am »

i think i'm gonna do a last minute change to my entry. (sorry Xtra if you've typed up a response on it already)

Agitator • $5 • Action - Attack - Reaction
Exile up to 2 cards from your hand.
Choose up to 2 cards on each other player's Exile mat; they discard them.
-
When you gain, trash, or reveal this (using the word "reveal"), you may Exile a card from your hand.

Instead of the usual exile-attack route of 'good card denial', this attacks the usual exile strategy of 'de-junking', putting bad cards back in opponent decks. It has the reaction/on gain/on trash to keep the flow of cards going towards your exile mat in a mirror situation.
You are basically forced to mirror this in a 2P game, implying a stalemate like situation in which both players have a terminal in their deck which net-achieves nothing. This is OK, it only leads to a forced "resource wastage" situation but does not impact gameplayer negatively.

Not so in 3P games. I fear that there is a first-to-get advantage:
Consider the "freerider" equilibrium: Alice and Bob buy Agitator while Charlie does not. Can this arise? Probably not. If Alice gets Agitator, Bob realizes that him getting Agitator will hurt Alice and help Charlie while it will do nothing for him (Attacks cancel each other out). So why should he waste a precious $5 Buy?

If my analysis is correct, only one player will have Agitators in multiplayer games. That's a serious issue and it will make the game highly swingy.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5601 on: May 11, 2020, 10:31:03 am »

This is potentially quite powerful. A 3 cost card that does more than an Overlord. However it is slowed down by the fact that you have to put the card it copies onto your Exile mat. Is that enough to weaken it? I hope so.

Some Watchtower vibes in terms of the versatility of the Reaction. You can use it to build up the emulator power or you can use it to Exile green or purple.
There is funky stuff like Exiling several cards per copy of Portal in a Garden game (Sanctuary or Bounty Hunter can only Exile one) imaginable, e.g. Beggar-Gardens-Portal.

I agree. I would make it so that you have discard it, when you react with it. If that seems too weak you could make it draw a card afterwards. Or one could limit that effect to the first time you gain a card.
However it might be a matter of taste, the cases where you could abuse it are narrow (I guess). If you put several Action cards there for flexibility, you don't get them into your deck. And Beggar-Gardens-Portal are already 3 specific cards, I would rarely blame a card for being in a 3-card combo.
I don't think that it is overpowered. As you pointed out, building this up what is a an Overlord in Kingdom without funky Action card costs (Debt, Potion, >5) is very costly so its main source of power is likely Exiling green and purple.

Sure, in an engine a card that Exiles the very 2 Provinces you just gained sounds brilliant, but you still had to gain a terminal which did nothing during build-up.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5602 on: May 11, 2020, 10:37:45 am »

i think i'm gonna do a last minute change to my entry. (sorry Xtra if you've typed up a response on it already)

Agitator • $5 • Action - Attack - Reaction
Choose up to 2 cards on each other player's Exile mat; they discard them.
-
When you gain, trash, or reveal this (using the word "reveal"), you may Exile a card from your hand.

Instead of the usual exile-attack route of 'good card denial', this attacks the usual exile strategy of 'de-junking', putting bad cards back in opponent decks. It has the reaction/on gain/on trash to keep the flow of cards going towards your exile mat in a mirror situation.
You are basically forced to mirror this in a 2P game, implying a stalemate like situation in which both players have a terminal in their deck which net-achieves nothing. This is OK, it only leads to a forced "resource wastage" situation but does not impact gameplayer negatively.

Not so in 3P games. I fear that there is a first-to-get advantage:
Consider the "freerider" equilibrium: Alice and Bob buy Agitator while Charlie does not. Can this arise? Probably not. If Alice gets Agitator, Bob realizes that him getting Agitator will hurt Alice and help Charlie while it will do nothing for him (Attacks cancel each other out). So why should he waste a precious $5 Buy?

If my analysis is correct, only one player will have Agitators in multiplayer games. That's a serious issue and it will make the game highly swingy.

If it de-exiled one card rather than two, this problem goes away, yes? I changed it (and turned it into a $4)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:55:32 am by spineflu »

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5603 on: May 11, 2020, 10:42:38 am »

This is potentially quite powerful. A 3 cost card that does more than an Overlord. However it is slowed down by the fact that you have to put the card it copies onto your Exile mat. Is that enough to weaken it? I hope so.

Some Watchtower vibes in terms of the versatility of the Reaction. You can use it to build up the emulator power or you can use it to Exile green or purple.
There is funky stuff like Exiling several cards per copy of Portal in a Garden game (Sanctuary or Bounty Hunter can only Exile one) imaginable, e.g. Beggar-Gardens-Portal.

I agree. I would make it so that you have discard it, when you react with it. If that seems too weak you could make it draw a card afterwards. Or one could limit that effect to the first time you gain a card.
However it might be a matter of taste, the cases where you could abuse it are narrow (I guess). If you put several Action cards there for flexibility, you don't get them into your deck. And Beggar-Gardens-Portal are already 3 specific cards, I would rarely blame a card for being in a 3-card combo.
I don't think that it is overpowered. As you pointed out, building this up what is a an Overlord in Kingdom without funky Action card costs (Debt, Potion, >5) is very costly so its main source of power is likely Exiling green and purple.

Sure, in an engine a card that Exiles the very 2 Provinces you just gained sounds brilliant, but you still had to gain a terminal which did nothing during build-up.
Okay, got you wrong there.
So yes, I think it can stay as is, I just wanted to give possible tweaks.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: May 11, 2020, 11:57:39 am »

Viceroy -$4
Action/Command

Name an Action card. Each other player Exiles a copy of it. If they did, play it twice, leaving it there.

Clarification: It fails if at least one opponent didn't gain a copy. The copy that is played is the one from the player to your left's Exlie mat, in case that matters.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 11:58:55 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: May 11, 2020, 12:05:45 pm »
+1

Thanks for the thoughts. I have substantially modified the silly version of my card above. Something_Smart’s suggestions were similar in several ways to what my son and I have been discussing on this end. I considered simply limiting the effect to first time on your turn, and not to “your card,”  thinking the Lurker interaction might be a “trick” but not quite abusive, but putting together Lurker/Salt and repeating them, even only once a turn, seemed bad. Here is my current submission:

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: May 11, 2020, 12:06:45 pm »

If I get stop-move correctly, Action-Victories land in your hand but are not Exiled.

That is my understanding as well. I had written an FAQ for laughs, but it seemed too silly to publish on top of the silly card.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: May 11, 2020, 12:10:28 pm »

Viceroy -$4
Action/Command

Name an Action card. Each other player Exiles a copy of it. If they did, play it twice, leaving it there.
I think a card played has to be in a specified place... maybe say "if the player to your right Exiled a copy of it, play it, leaving it there."

I guess that's not actually true a la Vassal/Village Green (and Vassal/Faithful Hound I suppose), but it certainly seems simpler to refer to a specific copy of the card as being played.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: May 11, 2020, 12:15:39 pm »

You're right though that in practice it shouldn't matter, but I could hypothetically imagine a card that can instantly discard a card from Exile as a Reaction or something, and then you can have a case where you play Viceroy to empty a pile and your opponent uses this effect and then you have to play a card despite it not being visible anywhere on the table.

I guess my version doesn't really fix that though, and the problem already exists with something like Crown on Crown on Artisan for Mandarin. So maybe it's not a big deal.

bitwise

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5609 on: May 11, 2020, 01:37:07 pm »

My submission:

Trophy Collector
Action - $4 cost

Choose one: Exile a card from your hand, or +$1 per two differently named cards on your Exile mat, rounded down.
---
Setup: In games using this, each player starts with a Silver and a Gold on their Exile mat.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5610 on: May 11, 2020, 02:13:05 pm »

My submission:

Trophy Collector
Action - $4 cost

Choose one: Exile a card from your hand, or +$1 per two differently named cards on your Exile mat, rounded down.
---
Setup: In games using this, each player starts with a Silver and a Gold on their Exile mat.

This is cool, especially how the setup interacts with the card and is nevertheless interesting on its own!

But I would at least give the second option a +1 Action, or maybe even both parts. The reason being, that you might get to 4 different cards in Exile soon, but more than that is quite difficult without Exiling good cards (Shelters are an exception). And this even implies that you keep your Silver and Gold there. So then you have a terminal +$2 which is pretty bad, so why would you go for it in the first place. Also most trasher/Exilers are better than the first part.
I know that flexibility is a big upside, but here each part is so weak that the combination of both does not make up for it.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5611 on: May 11, 2020, 06:48:36 pm »

Viceroy -$4
Action/Command

Clarification: It fails if at least one opponent didn't gain a copy. The copy that is played is the one from the player to your left's Exlie mat, in case that matters.

Since you said that opponents gain a copy, I Think you want them to exile from supply. But if pile is out, have they to exile a copy from their hand, if any? Or also, can they choose to exile from their hand if it is an action they don't want to use anymore or don't want to pile out? If you don't want these options, I think you would better write "Each other player Exiles a copy of it from supply" in the card.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:07:27 pm by Carline »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5612 on: May 11, 2020, 07:00:11 pm »
+1

Alright guys, at this point, if you make any modifications on your entries or add new ones, they might not make the cut for this week's judging. Also, Optimal_Inefficiency, I don’t know which one of your 2 cards you wish to enter, so I’ll arbitrary choose the latter. Sorry in advance if I picked the wrong card.
Bottom text

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5613 on: May 11, 2020, 07:20:59 pm »

Viceroy -$4
Action/Command

Since you said that opponents gain a copy, I Think you want them to exile from supply. But if pile is out, have they to exile a copy from their hand, if any? Or also, can they choose to exile from their hand if it is an action they don't want to use anymore or don't want to pile out? If you don't want these options, I think you would better write "Each other player Exiles a copy of it from supply" in the card.

As it is, I think opponents can choose even to exile a copy from your play area. Is that (what I'm saying) correct?

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5614 on: May 11, 2020, 09:31:40 pm »
+4

CONTEST 72 RESULTS

Alright, time to judge. As always, if you’d like to have a rebuttal against what I’ve written, please do so. It’s all about helping one get better at judging. So yeah, I encourage you to show me where you have disagreements and stuff. It’s all in good spirit!

Now, seems like this week’s contest isn’t as a “ball in the park” as I thought it was. Exiling is a new mechanic and this makes it a little harder to judge what is balanced and what isn’t. Especially when it comes to the price of a card. Plus, we only have a short list of existing Exiling cards to deal with. Grep’s contest of doing Horse stuff also had that same consequence, but I believe that Horse cards are more straight-forward in their usage than Exiling. This is highly reflected by the sheer amount of discussion about balance this week’s contest generated. But I’m glad you guys did so. It really shows an obvious desire to create; and to create well. So good job everyone for making the most of that Exiling contest!

And now, let’s see the entries. We’ve got 27, just like last week! I feel you, Grep, lol. Uhhh so yeah. Two things I’ve noticed: Lots of cards priced at and a lot of Projects! Anyway, let’s take a look:

Manufacturer (Action)
Choose one: Exile a non-Victory card from the Supply; or gain a copy of a card you have at least 3 copies of in Exile.
-----
In games using this, you may not buy cards you have copies of in Exile.
Because this costs and is your only way of un-Exiling stuff in a game using this, I believe there is an edge case to be made in which a player could get stuck not being able to compete if other Exiling Attacks exist in the Kingdom, such as Cardinal or Gatekeeper. Beside that, I don’t know if I want to spend my hard earned on a terminal card which does nothing but eat up my Action phase the first 3 times I use it. Feels like a trap to fall behind. Beside that, you kinda shut yourself off a particular card the first and second time you Exile it with Manufacturer, whereas players who didn’t do that can still freely buy it and laugh at the stuck player who spent to be in that position.

Oki (Action)
Yes. I like stuff like this. Players see that and immediately go: “Oh okay, I get it. Neat.” Though this card might be a . I’m comparing it to Sanctuary. Sanctuary replaces 1 of the 2 Exiles of Oki with a “+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy”. A cantrip Buy is, in my opinion, way stronger than a simple Exile. And so, I think in comparison to Sanctuary, Oki should cost less. would be my go to. But still, this is a clean and efficient card.

Toolsmith (Action)
Exile 2 non-Victory cards from the Supply costing up to .
Hehehe, a rush game card. A quick way to absolutely murder the cheap Action card piles. In truth, this is even faster than Lurker to speed up a game. Like, I can’t exactly calculate how fast a game using Toolsmith would be. But imagine if each player opens with Toolsmith in a 4-player game. Since it’s something that “gains” things in bulk, yeah, I think Toolsmith should be in the club, with the other big boys. Cool card though!

Recompense (Treasure)

When you play this, gain a card costing up to per differently named cards you have in Exile. If it’s a Victory card, trash this.
-----
When you gain this, Exile a card from your hand.
Beside flavor with the name of that card, I don’t see why this needs to be a Treasure. Is it because it was meant to not suck up an Action to be played? If so, I would have removed the big fat on the card and would have made it a Night card instead. As it is, printed on a card, the text would be super tiny and aesthetically unpleasing. But anyway. So, if this is the only Exiling card in the Kingdom, I hardly see the point on spending to have the possibility of gaining a card costing up to . At least you’ve Exiled, like, an Estate? Then next time you gain a Recompense, you need to Exile a Copper to gain stuff costing up to now? This seems too slow and too expensive to beat a simple costing Workshop that gains you cards right off the bat, even if you have to spend an Action to do so.

Way of the Cicada (Way)
Exile this and a copy of this from the Supply. Once per game: You may set aside all copies of this you have in Exile. If you did, play them all.
Wouldn’t this make it too easy to gain duplicates of stuff you really want, such as Nobles or stuff like that? There could be a limit on which Action card can make use of this Way. Probably would make this too wordy though. But a cool Way nonetheless! Definitely goes hand-in-hand with other wild ways such as Way of the Chameleon and Way of the Mouse!

Sanctum (Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one: Put a card from Exile into your hand; or you may Exile a card from your hand that you do not already have a copy of in Exile.
This is nice. A utility card where its power is not-so-obvious at first. This makes it so your deck can handle more terminal Actions than it usually would. It’s sort of a nicely controlled Native Village and I love that. Always had bad luck with Native Village. I’d feel luckier with Sanctum.

New World (Event)
Once per game: Put the cards you have in Exile into your hand. Exile all cards from your deck, your discard pile and that you have in play.
-----
Setup: Each player Exiles 2 Coppers, 1 Gold and 2 Curses from the Supply and the same set of 4 different unused Action cards.
There are a lot of words on this card. In my opinion, horizontal cards should not have more than 3 lines of text. I know this sounds like something I shouldn’t focus on, but to me that is part of the whole package that is card design. For instance, I don’t think Donald X. would include a card with so much text on it without scrapping the idea entirely. This is definitely a hard hurdle when designing stuff and seriously limits one’s creativity, but that just makes having to work around it a fun little puzzle! Now, I definitely do not want you to think that because you made a card art for this, I immediately spotted the squished text as opposed to those who simply write their card in quote boxes here. That’d be unfair. In fact, check out “Recompense” and “Trophy Collector” on this list, where I once more raise this concern. These cards only came in text form.

But anyway. Cool card name, fits right with the theme of Exiling! This to me wins brownie points. Again, part of the whole card designing package. The idea behind the card is super neat. Originality is oozing from New World and man, do I respect that. This might shift the game entirely toward New World though. Like, it’s gotta be bought at some point. Either at the beginning when you don’t want to invest in stuff you’ll Exile anyway, or when you have bought a sufficient amount of Victory cards toward mid-end game when you don’t want to have ‘em in your hands anymore. But it’s gotta be bought at some point. Otherwise, you’re behind. Kinda like with Donate. The 2 Curses Exiled by default also makes it so that the Curse pile is super small during a game using New World. Almost invalidating certain Cursing Attacks. Hard to judge how much of an impact this would have.

Coyote (Action)
Exile this or a card from your hand. +1 Card per it costs.
---
When you gain or trash this, you may play it.
Exile a Province. Draw 8 cards. Be happy you’ve Exiled something you didn’t need/want in your deck in the first place. That’s bonkers. When you have a Province in your hand and to spare, just buy a Coyote and immediately play it, exiling said Province. That’s bonkers (think I already said that though). Grep is right, this should only Exile non-Victory cards. Cuz you want those little buggers Exiled anyway. So this’d make the choice harder. Still unsure whether the bottom part of the card should exist though.

Commissioner (Action)
+1 Action
If you have any Action card in Exile, put one into your hand. Otherwise, +1 Card and Exile a card from the Supply costing up to .
Well that’s a Workshop indeed. Pretty good one too. I think the +1 Card making this a cantrip on Exiling is a little too much though. Just the +1 Action and Exiling clauses together would have been sufficient imo. Otherwise, this is really powerful. Exiling without sacrificing your turn, or gaining to your hand a card you’ve Exiled with a spare Action to play it is just like… Workshop+++. So yeah, maybe that’d be the only thing I’d change. Dropping that +1 Card. S’already a good card anyway!

Captive Village (Action)
You may Exile an Action card from your hand. Draw until you have 5 cards in hand. +1 Action per unique Action card in your Exile.
My first instinct here is that it takes a lot to setup that card to be worthy. The first time you use it while Exiling something, for instance, this is simply… well, a cantrip. You’d need to open Captive Village + another cheap Action card to power your Captive Villages early. And this is not boding well for you if you’re sacrificing critical early game time for that. Even if you get this up to +4 Actions, I still think it would not have been worth the effort as opposed to simply buying 2/3 Villages (which are also worth  !)

Rebel (Action)
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
Each player (including you) Exiles a Silver from the Supply. If you have at least 3 Silvers in Exile, you may discard them. If you did, you may trash a card from your hand to gain a card costing up to more.
Player interaction, Silver gaining, Exiling, +Cards, +Buys, trashing, gainer... this is a little much. I don’t think it’s a good idea to have a card with more than one ‘if’ statement. Otherwise, it becomes overly conditional and thus overly convoluted. A card like this would be better broken into two or more smaller cards, maybe even in a split pile! So this card wants you to wait until you have 3 Silvers without discarding them from Exile to be rewarded with a nice trash for benefit. That’s a neat idea. I’m unsure if the player interaction part adds all that much here, but I welcome the intent. I often do lots of non-Attack player interaction stuff for this thread and so I appreciate it when others do so as well!

Pony (Action)
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Exile an Action card from your hand (or reveal a hand with no Action cards).
I disagree with people who said that this was too weak; from my point of view, this is just right with that cost. So it is a Laboratory that costs less. Why? Because it Exiles, of course. But is it so much of a consequence? Early game, this is absolutely lovely to open with. If you open Pony/Silver, you’re in a pretty good spot (nothing to Exile; except possibly a Necropolis, but meh). Exiling may not be as much of a torn as we make it out to be; it isn’t particularly hard to retrieve an Exiled card, depending on the candidate. Plus, Pony makes you go through your deck at quite an okay speed, so you’ll see them discarded Exiled cards soon enough anyway. This card is neat.

Great Cathedral (Project)
At the start of your turn, choose one: Exile a card from your hand; or put a non-Treasure card from Exile into your hand
That one’s funny. It’ll be like playing with a 3rd pile of card: Your deck, your discard pile and your Exile pile. I like the Donate mirror price because while it is slower than it, it does stuff forever ‘til you win/lose. So it’s a nice comparison. Great Cathedral is one of those big cards though, so I’m scratching my head figuring out if it’s overpowered. In a way, you’ll get rid of those Victory cards real quick while reaping their benefit, so that’s strong. Once you start greening with Provinces, Great Cathedral will take care of them for you. You won’t slow down too much. You’ll be as clean end game as you are mid game, which can mess up with the tempo of the game. However, that’s not enough for me to say “nah” to this card. I still like it a lot.

Escapist (Action – Attack)
+
Each other player gains a Curse. They may reveal a Curse from their hand; if anyone does, Exile this.
Eyyy baby, an Attack! This is very Old Witch-y, in the sense that it’s a Cursing Attack that might not always work. Seems like a card that doesn’t scale so well the more players there are. It’s easier to be caught when you are facing 3 opponents rather than just 1. I don’t know if it’s worth un-exiling an Escapist, since it’s mean you’ll be stuck with 2 terminals. But the choice makes it interesting. Neat little Attack.

Portal (Action – Reaction – Command)
Play this as I it was any non-Command Action card on your Exile mat.
-----
Whenever you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand to Exile the gained card.
Allow me to be super annoying and nitpick on the wording. The top part of the card would be better worded as such: “Play a non-Command Action card you have in Exile, leaving it there”, just to be more consistent with the way other emulators work. Now that we have the formalities out of the way, let me just say: I like this. You guys are all so creative. It’s a slow Emulator, it requires a little bit of setup, but once in place, da-yum! It’s stronger than Band of Misfits AND Overlord since it does not have a cost limit on what card it can emulate. The sluggishness of having to invest in a card you want to Emulate beforehand while having the Portal in your hand is enough to justify a lower price though. I dunno, maybe this should’ve been a ? There is a little bit of swingy-ness here. But then, that case can be made for stuff like Prince and yet it exists in Dominion. Look. Point is: I like this.

Thelony (Action – Attack – Duration)
+1 Card
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy and +. While this is in play, the first time any other player discards a card from their Exile mat on their turn, they take .
Well, as others have mentioned, the Attack part can be completely invalidated most games Thelony appears in. Now. One could say: “But X-tra, stuff like Hunting Grounds and Squire’s got some stuff that can be impossible to activate in some Kingdoms!” S’true. However, it is but a small part of those cards, it takes very little space text-wise on the card and it is activable in a lot of games. Trashing or Attack cards are so much more common than cards that can Exile, which is only but a small fraction of Dominion. So the whole bottom part of Thelony only serve to make the text of the card smaller and harder to read. As for the top part, it seems really strong. You start your next turn with a Lost City and then some? And you cantriped to get those bonuses? Incredibly strong, even for a card!

Export (Event)
Once per turn: +1 Buy. Exile a Gold you have in play. If you did, +1 and your cards cannot leave your Exile mat this turn.
Weird indeed! This card brings forth a lot of conditions for it to essentially award you with 2 to Exile 2 Golds. Mind you, that’s an interesting idea. It’s a tough choice to make. The novelty of it is thrilling and brings the realm of into Exiling for benefit, something we haven’t seen in Menagerie.

Xanadu (Action – Victory)
Exile a card from your hand.
-----
Worth 1 per differently named card you have in Exile.
Did not expect anyone to sneak a Victory card in here. Glad you did though, ‘cuz what we have here is pretty bitchin’. It’s actually a very clever way to amass alternate and like cards like the similarly-priced Fairgrounds, it can really shine depending on the Kingdom. But it’s also good on its own. And so it gets a good thumbs up from me. Get some Villages, a source of +Buy and 2 or more Xanadu and you’ll have a nice alt- engine.

Valley Town (Action)
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may Exile this for +1 Card.
Excellent idea here. Simple, but, in my opinion, it works. I love Villages that costs more because they do a little something else. Not unlike Mining Village, a card which is also a Village with a “You may” thingy in it. This fits right into the spirit of what Exiling should add to Dominion. Sorry I can’t comment more than this for this card, but I won’t invent flaws where there are none (that I can see at least).

Courrier (Action - Duration)
Gain an Action card and set it aside. Each other player may Exile a copy of that card from the Supply. At the start of your next turn, play the set aside card.
Summon says hi. Of same cost, this is the best thing to compare this to. Summon is limited in the sense that it can only gain up to . This does not. But it has the consequence of setting your opponents up with a (delayed) copy of the card you’re trying to play. You’ll have to forfeit a Buy to use Summon, but here you must use an Action to use Courrier. Thus, in my book, the cost is justified. Thumbs up to a balanced card!

Green Network (Project)
When you trash a non-Victory card, you may Exile it.
-----
When you buy this, Exile up to 2 cards you have in play.
Thank God for the “non-Victory” clause here! Lots of cards in this list have that but boy is it necessary. Anyway, cool Project.  I like the initial auto-Exile thingy, it’s cute. Probably everyone will acquire this project. Not as urgently as stuff like Star Chart though. So it’s priced correctly, I think. This can be abused with stuff like Lurker though, to auto claim a card you trash from the Supply. In fact, this might be an infinite turn enabler.

Gaoler (Action)
Exile the top 3 cards of your deck, then put 2 cards you have in Exile into your hand.
Cool idea! A +2 Cards where you can pull them from a pool of set aside cards you’ve stockpiled before. But see, that’s the thing. That’s... essentially a +2 Cards in essence, no? Yeah, there’s some deck culling attributes with Galoer. But when you play it, the immediate effect is that it’s going to feel like a +2 Cards. Therefore, I believe this is overpriced. I think maybe a or even maybe a would have suited this card.

Repair (Project)
The first time you trash a card during a turn, you may Exile it instead if you don’t have a copy of it in Exile. When you Exile a Province or a Colony with this, take back your Cube from the Project.
Interesting. One of each green card can be Exiled to be out of your deck, with Provinces and Colonies slowing that ability down. This seems fair, imo. It is very limited in its use, but it seems like a “hey, why not” Project when you hit . Cool concept, interesting tied-in limiters.

Agitator (Action – Attack – Reaction)
Exile up to 2 cards from your hand. You may choose a card on each other player’s Exile mat; they discard it.
-----
When you gain, trash, Exile or reveal this (using the word “reveal”), you may Exile a card from your hand.
I don’t know if the Reaction part is all that necessary. Honestly, if this was left as it is with just the Exiling/Attacking part, I would have already been enamored by the idea presented here. It’s funny, ‘cuz when you think of an Exiling Attack, we’re all like “oh yeah, other players must Exile stuff to make it hard for them to retrieve it harr harr”. Yet here, it’s the opposite; the Attack is all about un-Exiling. Which is neat and novel! Though uuhhh yeah. I feel like if one opts for an Agitator to clean their deck without sacrificing their Estates, yeah, your opponents are pretty much obliged to follow suit, especially if there are no cards like Bounty Hunter in the Kingdom. This becomes sort of the go-to strategy and could potentially create a tug-of-war that shapes the game too much into investing in that one particular card.

Viceroy (Action – Command)
The wording is a little confusing here. One could interpret that all other players need to Exile the named Action card, which would make Viceroy worse the more players there are (probably worthless in a 4-player game). Or, you could say that at least one other player must’ve Exiled the named card in order for you to play it. That seems more in the spirit of what this card is trying to achieve. In that case, I’d say: “If at least one other player did”, or “If another player did”, etc. Anyway. This emulator is rather risky. You’d have to sort of keep track of your opponents’ Buys, discard pile and stuff. Because if it fails, it’s frustrating. But then, so is a lone Throne Room in a hand.

Papal Bull (Project)
The first time you trash your card during each of your turns, if it is an...
Action card, put it into your hand.
Victory card, Exile it.
“One of your cards” would be clearer, but that’s me nitpicking (as usual). I feel like this Project’s overpowered. Imagine that: It’d be one of the only time in Dominion where you would purposefully trash a Province. That thought makes me giggle, lol. Imagine this with trash for benefit cards, like Remake or Upgrade. That’s insane. Remodel a Province, exile it and gain... a Province! You will need this Project in a game where there’s trashing involved. Repair, a little higher, tried to deal with the problem of Exiling big green cards.

Trophy Collector (Action)
Choose one: Exile a card from your hand, or + per 2 differently named cards on your Exile mat (rounded down).
-----
A way to reduce wordiness of that card would be to simply cut the “In games using this” part (Baker doesn’t use that statement, for instance). That card sort of remind me of Miser. Seems more reliable than it though, since it starts with stuff that gives it already. It is slower than Miser though (needs 2 cards for +; Miser needs just one Copper). Overall, this seems slow, like… Miser! You’ll probably just want to use this for simply Exiling unattractive stuff in your deck. In which case, other Exiling cards like Bounty Hunter, for the same cost, seems more interesting. And hey. Hey. I wanna see that FAQ. Nothing’s silly here. Silliness would be to think that such things are silly. :)

(Keep in mind, there was 27 cards to choose from, it was impossible for me to cram everything down the finalists bellow)

Semifinalists: Sanctum ; Pony ; Great Cathedral ; Portal ; Escapist

Finalists: Oki ; Xanadu

Winner: Valley Town

'Grats Something_Smart! Valley Town, though how deceptively simple it may seem on the surface, honestly really shines with the Exiling mechanic. It feels like a perfect match for that mechanic. It really brings forth what Exiling adds to Dominion and this neat little card could’ve snuck its way into Menagerie, imo. So congrats!

And hey, congrats to everyone else also! You guys really did put extra effort this week, debating and arguing about your entries with admirable seriousness. You rock :) ! And uhhh yeah. All I ask is that if y'all are gonna throw stones at me, please have the decency of doing so one at a time, hahaha! :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 09:50:37 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5615 on: May 12, 2020, 12:10:53 am »
+1

Great Cathedral (Project)
At the start of your turn, choose one: Exile a card from your hand; or put a non-Treasure card from Exile into your hand
That one’s funny. It’ll be like playing with a 3rd pile of card: Your deck, your discard pile and your Exile pile. I like the Donate mirror price because while it is slower than it, it does stuff forever ‘til you win/lose. So it’s a nice comparison. Great Cathedral is one of those big cards though, so I’m scratching my head figuring out if it’s overpowered. In a way, you’ll get rid of those Victory cards real quick while reaping their benefit, so that’s strong. Once you start greening with Provinces, Great Cathedral will take care of them for you. You won’t slow down too much. You’ll be as clean end game as you are mid game, which can mess up with the tempo of the game. However, that’s not enough for me to say “nah” to this card. I still like it a lot.

Thank you very much for your comments. I also asked myself if it’s not overpowered or too fast when greening. Donate mirror price is a suggestion of Holger, which is the one who deserves the credits for this part.

Gaoler (Action)
Exile the top 3 cards of your deck, then put 2 cards you have in Exile into your hand.
Cool idea! A +2 Cards where you can pull them from a pool of set aside cards you’ve stockpiled before. But see, that’s the thing. That’s... essentially a +2 Cards in essence, no? Yeah, there’s some deck culling attributes with Galoer. But when you play it, the immediate effect is that it’s going to feel like a +2 Cards. Therefore, I believe this is overpriced. I think maybe a or even maybe a would have suited this card.

I would like to point in favour of this card that besides being a better controlled Moat it also puts one card more in exile at each play and you can filter which cards will remain there, so I think it’s also good at cleaning and at the Island effect. If it's cost would be reduced, I think that with +1 Action available it would be so much better than Advisor or Lookout or, at some cases, even Sentry. If it costs , I think it would be also much better than Island: you could play the same copy many times, you would have 2 cards each play instead of  2VP once and you could Island a card from a range of 3 cards more.

'Grats Something_Smart! Valley Town, though how deceptively simple it may seem on the surface, honestly really shines with the Exiling mechanic. It feels like a perfect match for that mechanic. It really brings forth what Exiling adds to Dominion and this neat little card could’ve snuck its way into Menagerie, imo. So congrats!

Congratulations Something_Smart! Valley Town is a cool and elegant card. I also like very much Xanadu by artless. I tried to think about an Alt-VP exiler, but didn't find so good solution.

And hey, congrats to everyone else also! You guys really did put extra effort this week, debating and arguing about your entries with admirable seriousness. You rock :)

Thank you, X-tra! I enjoyed so much your comments. And also congrats for your promptness.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:07:58 am by Carline »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5616 on: May 12, 2020, 02:42:38 am »
+1

CONTEST 72 RESULTS

Toolsmith (Action)
Exile 2 non-Victory cards from the Supply costing up to .
Hehehe, a rush game card. A quick way to absolutely murder the cheap Action card piles. In truth, this is even faster than Lurker to speed up a game. Like, I can’t exactly calculate how fast a game using Toolsmith would be. But imagine if each player opens with Toolsmith in a 4-player game. Since it’s something that “gains” things in bulk, yeah, I think Toolsmith should be in the club, with the other big boys. Cool card though!
That is a good point. Upon hindsight, it does seem like it needs to cost $5. Thanks for the feedback though!

And hey, congrats to everyone else also! You guys really did put extra effort this week, debating and arguing about your entries with admirable seriousness. You rock :) !
Thanks man. You rock too! ;D
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5617 on: May 12, 2020, 03:14:29 am »

Ah yes, it should have included a "from the supply"; that was the intention. That#s what you get for making a late submission with no time to review.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5618 on: May 12, 2020, 03:36:59 am »
+3

Eyy thank you! I personally feel Valley Town is a little too powerful after thinking about it, but it's probably in reasonable range and it would be fun to play with. Congrats to the runners-up, I liked those cards as well.

Anyway, moving on.

CHALLENGE #73: Mancap Redux
Design two card-shaped objects that have very interesting interactions-- either a powerful synergy, or one providing a very strong counter to the other. For examples of this, well, go look at the wiki under Combos and Counters. It doesn't have to be as flashy as those though, I would accept something as simple as Ironworks/Mill.

If you don't feel like designing two cards, you can reuse one card you've previously designed, but the other one should be new.

Judging will be approximately 7 days + 12 hours from this post because I'm up at an ungodly hour and I definitely don't want to force myself to judge at 3am next week :P

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5619 on: May 12, 2020, 04:39:50 am »

Ruffians
$5
Action-Attack
+$1
+1 Buy
Each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand, then reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes one costing $3 or $4, and discards the rest.

Guard Tower
$4
Action-Reaction
Discard a card, then draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
-------
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand to put a card from your hand onto your deck.

So basically, Ruffians is a take on Sir Michael, combining a handsize attack with a trashing attack. Ruffians, however, does supply a bonus for the attacker, but as a result, both attacks are weaker. Guard Tower is intended to be a counter to Ruffians. The top half draws loads of cards if you get attacked, and while with stronger handsize attacks it may hurt to discard a card, the attack of Ruffians leaves you no worse that if you played a Watchtower against a Militia. The bottom half of Guard Tower also serves to combat trashing attacks by topdecking fodder for it to hit, or using it twice to topdecking 2 cards outside of the cost range. It can also help against handsize attacks by potentially saving a terminal that collided, or lining up a combo piece, instead of discarding the cards. And you can decide not to, in case you don't want to Ghost Ship yourself. Apologies for the long paragraph, and feedback is wanted as usual. Looking forward to the other entries!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 05:10:35 am by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5620 on: May 12, 2020, 04:45:35 am »

Eyy thank you! I personally feel Valley Town is a little too powerful after thinking about it, but it's probably in reasonable range and it would be fun to play with.
It is strong but unlikely to be Village Green or Port level crazy. Precisely because it is strong, the Valley Town pile will soon run out and you might not want to Exile a Valley Town if you are unsure about whether you gain one this turn.

On a Smithy+ for $5 the idea is probably fairly balanced (if not a bit weakish).

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: May 12, 2020, 08:18:07 am »

Split pile: Golden Ages / Dark Ages

Golden Ages
cost $2 - Treasure - Victory
+1 Buy
Choose one: Exile a Gold from Supply; or discard a card from your Exile mat.
---
Worth 1vp per 2 Treasures you have on your Exile mat.

Dark Ages
cost $5 - Action
Exile any number of cards from your hand.
---
When this is in Supply, when you play a Treasure, +$1 instead of following its effect.

I wanted to do Poacher-like thing.

EDIT: Changed their types.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:14:58 pm by majiponi »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: May 12, 2020, 09:08:34 am »

Instruct - Action, $5 cost.
Do these in any order:
gain a Silver;
put a card from your discard pile into your hand;
trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $1 more than it.

Quicksilver - Action Reaction, $4 cost.
+2 Cards
-
When you gain a card, you may discard this to exchange the gained card for one costing up to $2 more than it.

I made Instruct before, though it's now at $5 to be balanced. Quicksilver is a simple thing that's often just a Silver but does crazy stuff here.
Edit: just to reiterate more, each is designed to be a separate, unrelated kingdom pile. If you select them both, wild times; if you select just Instruct, a diverse, flexible, adaptable card; just Quicksilver, something you'll often pick up over Silver.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:24:03 pm by Aquila »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5623 on: May 12, 2020, 09:55:00 am »

Porter • $3 • Action - Reaction
+1 Buy
This turn, Action cards cost $1 less.
-
When you discard this other than during Clean-up, reveal it and choose one: +1 Card; or +1 Action
Athenaeum • $5 • Action
Draw until you have 8 cards in hand.
Discard 3 cards.

The combo is discarding Porters when you Athenaeum to get non-terminality out of the card (or extra cards after the draw). Also works with, say, Warehouse, but I like how Cursed Village works and want that draw-to-x+action feature out of other cards.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:13:02 pm by spineflu »

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: May 12, 2020, 11:10:08 am »

Village Peddler • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-
The next time you play a Rag Dealer this turn, choose one: you first get +; or you first may trash a card from your hand.

Rag Dealer • Action

+ 1 Action
+ 1  Card
+ $1
-
The next time you play a Village Peddler this turn, choose one: you first get +1 Action; or you first get +1 Buy.

Setup: Whenever Village Peddler is in the kingdom, add an extra supply pile with Rag Dealer.

Two Peddlers, each one alone being nothing more than a Peddler. Play one after the other and Village Peddler becomes a Market or a Bazaar (you choose) or Rag Dealer becomes a Junk Dealer or an activated Conspirator (you choose).

With one of each in hand, you have a lot of versatility, with these four options of playing:

- Peddler and Market
- Peddler and Bazaar
- Peddler and Junk Dealer
- Peddler and activated Conspirator

Chain them alternated and every one after the first played will be more than a Peddler.

None of the bonus gives + Cards. I think it would be too strong. There’s a reason for Pathfinding be the most expensive of the events that give vanilla bonuses.

I think when two cards mention each other specifically, to it makes sense you have to find a way to one never be in the game without the other. The options are:

- One in supply and the other not, being gained by the first in some way.
- A split pile
- A specific setup rule

With first option, one card will be gained in a different way than the other. It would break the symmetry between them and make it hard to balance their gains. Gain one when gain the other seems too strong, gain when play seems slow and probably would give you more copies of the second card than the first. Also, in any case this option would put a lot of text into the cards.

With a split pile, whatever would be its order, only one of them would be available at one time, making it harder to gain the card you need to activate the bonus and also swinging .

So I choose the latter option, a specific setup rule. It ensures that both cards will be always available and enables to activate the bonus earlier. I think it’s not a big deal a kingdom with 11 supply piles, we already have it with Young Witch.

seems to be the right cost for Peddlers with a bonus (see Market, Bazaar, Junk Dealer, Artificer, Treasury or Emporium), even if you don’t always get the bonus (it happens sometimes with Artificer, Treasury or Emporium). At there’s a Peddler with a penalty (Poacher) and at there's a Peddler with two vanilla bonuses (Grand Market).

Any feedback will be very welcome.

EDIT: I WITHDREW THIS ENTRY AND DID ANOTHER ONE. SEE POST BELOW.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:19:13 am by Carline »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.