Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546704 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5575 on: May 10, 2020, 02:12:18 am »
+1

Anyone else's favorite part of Messenger the on-buy part? This card builds on that idea by making it the main focus. Everyone gets this card, but the player of the Courier gets it very soon (next turn, or even this turn) while everyone else needs to buy a copy first.
Or they just get their own Courier and gain a copy. That might emphasise pile emptying even more, and the lock in Exile forever bit depending on seating order.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: May 10, 2020, 02:36:54 am »
+1

Seems too strong and too centralizing to me. I'd make it a $5 or leave it at $4 but as terminal Copper or without virtual Coins. Being able to gain a $5 onto your deck after the first shuffle is already pretty strong (there is a reason DXV priced Artisan at $6).

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: May 10, 2020, 03:00:00 am »
+5

This is potentially quite powerful. A 3 cost card that does more than an Overlord. However it is slowed down by the fact that you have to put the card it copies onto your Exile mat. Is that enough to weaken it? I hope so.

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: May 10, 2020, 08:26:32 am »

This is potentially quite powerful. A 3 cost card that does more than an Overlord. However it is slowed down by the fact that you have to put the card it copies onto your Exile mat. Is that enough to weaken it? I hope so.

I thought about doing something like this. I really like the exiling reaction!

I do wonder if $3 is too low of a cost...

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: May 10, 2020, 09:49:23 am »

If this would be the only card in kingdom related to exile mat, the attack part won't work. Your opponents will never discard a card from exile.

And what about this thing I pointed about the attack, don't you think it's important?
I saw this and considered it. I’m sorry I didn’t explicitly reply to your comment, but my plan is to make the card valuable enough to justify the cost even if the attack is meaningless (i.e. exiling is not in the kingdom).

I would like to update my entry, but first I’d like some forum feedback. Which of those two do you all think would be better?

Revision #1
Thelony — ($5)(Action - Attack - Reaction)
At the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1. While this is in play, when any other player discards a card from their Exile mat on their turn, they take <1>.

Revision #2
Thelony — ($6)(Action - Attack - Reaction)
+1 Card
+1 Action

At the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1. While this is in play, the first time any other player discards a card from their Exile mat on their turn, they take <1>.

I’ll save you all the google and tell you the definition of thelony is, “A toll or custom required from travelling merchants as a tax on doing business.” (Source: Wikipedia)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5580 on: May 10, 2020, 01:54:03 pm »

I think the second works better. Even if your opponents opt to not proc the attack, you get more immediate benefits and it doesn't terminal in your deck.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: May 10, 2020, 02:34:02 pm »

While it lacks the versatility of Captain, a delayed level 3 City is nonetheless slightly stronger and too straightforward. You get all you need for an engine via one card alone.
Also, the power difference between those two cards is enormous.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: May 10, 2020, 04:06:46 pm »
+1

What about a halfway one, where it just gives the action, not the card?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: May 10, 2020, 04:35:10 pm »

I neither get the Attack which does nothing in most Kingdoms nor the appeal of a random collection of vanilla bonuses which is entirely unrelated to the Attack. Nor am I a friend of cantrip Attacks, even if they are highly Kingdom sensitive.

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: May 10, 2020, 06:26:49 pm »

Okay, let's get weird:

Export
Event
$0
-------------
Once per turn: +1 Buy. Exile a Gold you have in play. If you do, +1VP and you cards cannot leave your Exile mat this turn.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5585 on: May 10, 2020, 07:44:46 pm »
+1

24 HOUR WARNING
Bottom text

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: May 10, 2020, 10:08:06 pm »
+4

Xanadu
Action - Victory
$6
Exile a non-victory card from your hand.
---
Worth 1 VP per different named card in your exile.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:23:44 am by artless »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: May 10, 2020, 10:59:26 pm »
+12

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: May 11, 2020, 12:14:27 am »

Update of previous entry

Courier - Action Duration - $5
Gain an Action card and set it aside. Each other player may Exile a copy of that card from the Supply. At the start of your next turn, play the set aside card.

I decided to update Courier. I agreed it was a little bit too fast in causing pile-outs. There's a few solutions to slowing it down while keeping the core mechanic. (1) It can self-exile. (2) It can not "work" on piles that are low or when any pile is gone. (3) It can use the journey token and only gain every other play (4) or it can be a duration so it can only work on second play. (there's actually another solution, but happening on-gain or on-buy is well covered by messenger and not worth revisiting). Self exile(1) is interesting but it's hard to make a one-shot version powerful enough. I wanted this to remain big font, and couldn't easily do that with changing its behavior based on pile size (2). (3) Journey token seemed okay but kind of wordy. I decided to go with Duration to make the gain a little stronger, with the problem that it does absolutely nothing on this turn. It also slows down the pile-out by being a duration.

There's only 24 hours left, so I may not be able to make any changes, but I'm curious if any of y'all think that any of the 1-3 choices could have been better to explore.

Of course let me know your thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 01:57:56 pm by anordinaryman »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: May 11, 2020, 12:29:01 am »
+1

THIS IS THE SILLY VERSION. FOR MY REAL CURRENT SUBMISSION, SEE REPLY #5605 BELOW.

I’ve been staring at this card for two or three weeks and can’t fix it. Broken? Maybe. Infinite loops? Could be. Golden decks? Sure looks like it. But what about fun? FUN!!!

Anyone have a fix? It could return Treasures to hand instead of Actions, and be optional to still leave room for Copper trashing, but that doesn’t seem like nearly as much . . . fun?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:11:07 pm by spheremonk »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: May 11, 2020, 01:57:50 am »
+1

God, so many infinite combos...
Mining Village, Raze, any other self-trasher with Champion or Adventures tokens (Death Cart, Pillage, Engineer, Treasure Map), Procession is maybe not infinite but certainly absurd, Apprentice is crazy, Rebuild is crazy, Bishop is pretty crazy, Salt the Earth is disgusting, Lurker is disgusting.

Although, in the absence of these cards, and the presence of more reasonable trashing like Remodel variants or other TfB, it seems pretty fun, but those seem like a minority of boards. I assume that's why Fortress is a village; to make it so you want it even if its below-line isn't relevant.

I think you could fix the worst problems by making it "the first time each turn that you trash...", though that doesn't fix Salt which is probably the worst non-infinite combo. Maybe you could also word it like Market Square, where the trashed card has to be YOURS.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: May 11, 2020, 05:07:32 am »

This is a great design!

I like the Salvager combo: take one Province out of your deck and get the payload for another one.  8)
The Lurker combo is pretty crazy too.

If I get stop-move correctly, Action-Victories land in your hand but are not Exiled.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: May 11, 2020, 05:10:15 am »

Updated my nom. With the on-buy effect, the card is less narrow and TfB strategies are a little stronger when two of the starter cards are gone.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: May 11, 2020, 05:42:15 am »
+3

I thought Exile would be a good fit for a Lookout-ish trasher because it means it's much less of a disaster if you hit 3 good cards. This is a last minute attempt at something along those lines.

It seems prudent to mention that Donald's testing found that it's bad to Exile useful cards. I guess it feels awful when another player empties that pile out or something.

I know it's a bit last minute to bring this up, but where are you getting this from? A bunch of the official cards are exclusively used to, or give incentive to Exiling useful cards.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: May 11, 2020, 07:38:57 am »

Here is my entry:

I came up with that idea independ from your card. Well, I did see your Green Network before, but between that and making Repair there were some days and so I did not remember it anymore.
I first refused to submit my card, because it was too similar to yours. (At that point the second sentence did not exist.) Plus you I figured you could still TfB Province into Province, if you immediatly discard the Exiled Province, and I did not like it.
Then I came up with that "break the rules of Projects" part and I think now it is both different enough from yours and hard enough to TfB Province into Province (still possible with more efford, and for that efford its fair). So here it is.
I hope you don't mind :)

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5595 on: May 11, 2020, 08:39:43 am »

Some Watchtower vibes in terms of the versatility of the Reaction. You can use it to build up the emulator power or you can use it to Exile green or purple.
There is funky stuff like Exiling several cards per copy of Portal in a Garden game (Sanctuary or Bounty Hunter can only Exile one) imaginable, e.g. Beggar-Gardens-Portal.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5596 on: May 11, 2020, 09:07:33 am »

I thought Exile would be a good fit for a Lookout-ish trasher because it means it's much less of a disaster if you hit 3 good cards. This is a last minute attempt at something along those lines.

It seems prudent to mention that Donald's testing found that it's bad to Exile useful cards. I guess it feels awful when another player empties that pile out or something.

I know it's a bit last minute to bring this up, but where are you getting this from? A bunch of the official cards are exclusively used to, or give incentive to Exiling useful cards.

Yeah, I remembered Displace after I posted this. This is from the Menagerie Secret History:
The cards that tried to save cards for later in Exile included one suggested by Matt, that seeded Exile with something and always made you swap. Initially it was Silver but that was nuts; then it was Copper and well, did I mention you don't really want to put your good cards into Exile for later? You just don't.
So it's just the choice of saving for later that's bad, and being forced to Exile something good for a bonus or penalty is fine. I should have read this twice and been more specific, sorry if I misled anyone.

Gaoler is nice in that you could save for later if you really wanted to, but it's not its primary function. Clean and elegant.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: May 11, 2020, 10:03:08 am »
+1

Here is my entry:

I came up with that idea independ from your card. Well, I did see your Green Network before, but between that and making Repair there were some days and so I did not remember it anymore.
I first refused to submit my card, because it was too similar to yours. (At that point the second sentence did not exist.) Plus you I figured you could still TfB Province into Province, if you immediatly discard the Exiled Province, and I did not like it.
Then I came up with that "break the rules of Projects" part and I think now it is both different enough from yours and hard enough to TfB Province into Province (still possible with more efford, and for that efford its fair). So here it is.
I hope you don't mind :)

It's definitely different enough  ;)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5598 on: May 11, 2020, 10:12:11 am »

i think i'm gonna do a last minute change to my entry. (sorry Xtra if you've typed up a response on it already); i think this is more novel and the other not as interesting.

Agitator • $4 • Action - Attack - Reaction
Exile up to 2 cards from your hand. You may choose a card on each other player's Exile mat; they discard it.
-
When you gain, trash, Exile, or reveal this (using the word "reveal"), you may Exile a card from your hand.

Instead of the usual exile-attack route of 'good card denial', this attacks the usual exile strategy of 'de-junking', putting bad cards back in opponent decks. It has the reaction/on gain/on trash to keep the flow of cards going towards your exile mat in a mirror situation.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:47:21 am by spineflu »

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: May 11, 2020, 10:16:53 am »

Some Watchtower vibes in terms of the versatility of the Reaction. You can use it to build up the emulator power or you can use it to Exile green or purple.
There is funky stuff like Exiling several cards per copy of Portal in a Garden game (Sanctuary or Bounty Hunter can only Exile one) imaginable, e.g. Beggar-Gardens-Portal.

I agree. I would make it so that you have discard it, when you react with it. If that seems too weak you could make it draw a card afterwards. Or one could limit that effect to the first time you gain a card.
However it might be a matter of taste, the cases where you could abuse it are narrow (I guess). If you put several Action cards there for flexibility, you don't get them into your deck. And Beggar-Gardens-Portal are already 3 specific cards, I would rarely blame a card for being in a 3-card combo.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.