Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1548076 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5550 on: May 06, 2020, 03:20:55 pm »
+1

Cathedral is already the 2nd strongest card-shaped thing in the game and not only is this way stronger, there's a 50% chance that only one player can buy it on turn 1 which puts the other at a severe disadvantage.

The only situation one player can buy it on turn 1 and the other not is if only one player have a hand with two coppers and three estates on turn 1. I think this chance is smaller than 50%, doesn't?

No, this project costs , not .

Anyway, the other player always can buy it on turn 2, so the first buyer wiil be only one trash ahead. Is it really so severe? I mean, the same situation could occur with any trasher depending on hands.

Yes, it's severe, it's like one player starting the game with a Laboratory in their starting deck. It's not like other trashers (except Cathedral) because with other trashers you have to draw and play the card to trash it, you don't actually get to trash something on turn 2. It doesn't matter whether you buy Chapel on turn 1 or turn 2.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: May 06, 2020, 03:28:04 pm »
+1

Updating my entry:
Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Exile an Action card from your hand (or reveal a hand with no Action cards)
This is obviously too weak. If a Fugitive variant made you discard an Action it would likely already be too weak at $4 as you want to sift through non-Actions. Exiling from hand is far harsher than discarding.
So this is only good for money decks or as defense against Ruins junking.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: May 06, 2020, 03:28:26 pm »

Oh, yeah, of course. I thought Awaclus was talking about Cathedral itself.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: May 06, 2020, 04:00:34 pm »

Yes, it's severe, it's like one player starting the game with a Laboratory in their starting deck. It's not like other trashers (except Cathedral) because with other trashers you have to draw and play the card to trash it, you don't actually get to trash something on turn 2. It doesn't matter whether you buy Chapel on turn 1 or turn 2.

Please tell me, I want to learn from you, more advanced players:

With my project at $4, if player A buys it on turn 1 and player B on turn 2, in first shuffle decks will be:

Player A – 7 Coppers, 2 Estates and a $3 cost card

Player B – 7 Coppers, 3 Estates and a $3 cost card

Of course player A has more chances to draw a hand without an Estate, but in this case he would have to exile a copper, decreasing his buy power this turn, or get an Estate back. Even with this factor, is player A advantage so enormous?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: May 06, 2020, 04:05:52 pm »
+1

It is significant but so is opening 5/2 on a board with Mountebank. Many cards can semi decide the game in the opening without anybody calling them broken. If opening sensitivity should always be low, a card like Fisherman would have no right to exist.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 04:08:18 pm by segura »

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: May 06, 2020, 04:13:28 pm »
+1

Cathedral is already the 2nd strongest card-shaped thing in the game and not only is this way stronger, there's a 50% chance that only one player can buy it on turn 1 which puts the other at a severe disadvantage.

The only situation one player can buy it on turn 1 and the other not is if only one player have a hand with two coppers and three estates on turn 1. I think this chance is smaller than 50%, doesn't?

Anyway, the other player always can buy it on turn 2, so the first buyer wiil be only one trash ahead. Is it really so severe? I mean, the same situation could occur with any trasher depending on hands.

Apart from Cathedral, there's several other trashers that can trash cards before turn 3; of these, at least with Doctor and Donate I'd also rather have $4 or $5 on turn 1 than on turn 2. Moreover, any good $5 trasher gives a similar (if not bigger) advantage to a player that has a $5/$2 start. (Edit: as segura already posted while I wrote this.) So I don't think this problem is severe enough to destroy Grand Cathedral's concept.

However, Grand Cathedral is much stronger than Cathedral ("strictly better" in the absence of cursers), and it's hard to imagine a kingdom where you wouldn't buy it on turn 1 or 2, even e.g. in a Gardens rush. Therefore I'd consider increasing its price, maybe to <8> like Donate. (This would also have the positive side effect of making it available to everyone on turn 1.)  Or restrict the Exiling to non-Treasure cards as well...

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: May 06, 2020, 04:22:34 pm »
+1

New World
Types: Event
Cost: $6
Once per game: Put the cards you have in Exile into your hand. Exile all cards from your deck, your discard pile, and that you have in play.
Setup: Each player Exiles 2 Coppers, 1 Gold, and 2 Curses from the Supply, and the same set of 4 different unused Action cards.
Clarification: Each players' Exile mat begins containing copies of the same cards with the same set of 4 Action cards.  If Monument, Scheme, Sheepdog, and Torturer were chosen, each player Exiles copies of that same collection of 4 Action cards (along with the 2 Coppers, 1 Gold, and 2 Curses).

A silly setup Event.  You lose all your deck that you don't have in your hand (unfortunate happenstance that Duration cards still in effect get Exiled from play too, but that only applies for one turn per game (and should happen pretty early in games you want to trigger New World), so it shouldn't get too hairy).  You have an extra deck of 9 cards waiting for you in the New World with otherwise unavailable Action cards.  Because of the way the Exile mat works, you can of course bring the Gold from the New World back to the old world (the unused Action cards cannot be brought over without buying either New World or Transport because you won't be able to gain copies of them), or you can swap over to the New World and then start bringing lost cards from the old world over.  You could also grab an extra Copper or Curse before getting New World to clean up Exile first before making the swap.

The numbers might be all wrong for this thing to work.  Let me know if you think it's interesting or salvageable.  I'm not sure if it is.

I really like this concept, though it's probably even more game-warping than Donate... :D :D

When the New World's Action cards are decent, this likely makes the early game a race to get $6, while trying to gain a Copper and maybe a Curse before making the "crossing"...

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: May 06, 2020, 05:17:06 pm »

Apart from Cathedral, there's several other trashers that can trash cards before turn 3; of these, at least with Doctor and Donate I'd also rather have $4 or $5 on turn 1 than on turn 2. Moreover, any good $5 trasher gives a similar (if not bigger) advantage to a player that has a $5/$2 start. (Edit: as segura already posted while I wrote this.) So I don't think this problem is severe enough to destroy Grand Cathedral's concept.

However, Grand Cathedral is much stronger than Cathedral ("strictly better" in the absence of cursers), and it's hard to imagine a kingdom where you wouldn't buy it on turn 1 or 2, even e.g. in a Gardens rush. Therefore I'd consider increasing its price, maybe to <8> like Donate. (This would also have the positive side effect of making it available to everyone on turn 1.)  Or restrict the Exiling to non-Treasure cards as well...

Thank you, so much! I like the suggestion of make it <8>. It fixes these two things, as you said: make it available to all players on turn 1 and make it not strictly better than Cathedral. Also it leaves <1> to be paid on turn 3 if bought on turn 1, so the cost to buy it on turn 1 would be: buy nothing more on turns 1 and 2 and reduce your payload on turn 3. I think it makes it a less obvious opening strategy over others available on kingdom, especially if it has good trashers.

So, I’m changing my entry, to modify cost:

Great Cathedral • <8> • Project

At the start of your turn, choose one: exile a card from your hand; or put a non-treasure card from exile into your hand.

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: May 06, 2020, 05:49:04 pm »

I’ll save you all the google and tell you the definition of thelony is, “A toll or custom required from travelling merchants as a tax on doing business.” (Source: Wikipedia)

Thelony — ($6)(Action - Attack - Duration)(005v2)
At the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1. While this is in play, when any other player discards a card from their Exile mat, they take 1 [Debt Token].
First of all, I love the name!
On interaction with Coven, the issue is that two rarely involuntary actions collide: Coven is the only official card that forces discarding from Exile.
It can be solved with only taxing on the player's own turn.
The cost looks too high to me: a delayed Marked is a weak $4 (similar to Caravan which is $1 less than Lab), and a relatively weak attack brings the cost to $5 (similar to Smithy -> Rabble). It still can be a reasonable purchase in absence of exilers, for example, for +Buy.

Thank you! And thank you for the simple fix. However, I think I need to leave the price at $6. Even though the card says +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1, it being at the start of your next turn makes it worth more. If a Caravan this turn is a Laboratory next turn, then a Thelony this turn is a level 3 City next turn.

Update to my entry:

Thelony — ($6)(Action - Attack - Duration)
At the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1. While this is in play, when any other player discards a card from their Exile mat on their turn, they take 1 [Debt Token].

All in all, I think this would be a valuable card in any kingdom, and it would likely be highly sought after if the attack can gain traction via other cards in the kingdom (like Camel Train).

[Edit] FYI: the definition of thelony is, “A toll or custom required from travelling merchants as a tax on doing business.” (Source: Wikipedia)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 05:55:20 pm by Optimal_Inefficiency »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: May 06, 2020, 05:52:54 pm »
+1

Great Cathedral • $4 • Project

At the start of your turn, choose one: exile a card from your hand; or put a non-treasure card from exile into your hand.

I just realized that this 50% is wrong... each player has a 50% chance of being able to afford it on turn 1; which is a 25% chance that one player but not both players will be able to buy it turn 1.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: May 06, 2020, 05:59:03 pm »

I’ll save you all the google and tell you the definition of thelony is, “A toll or custom required from travelling merchants as a tax on doing business.” (Source: Wikipedia)

At the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1. While this is in play, when any other player discards a card from their Exile mat, they take 1 [Debt Token].
On interaction with Coven, the issue is that two rarely involuntary actions collide: Coven is the only official card that forces discarding from Exile.
The cost looks too high to me: a delayed Marked is a weak $4 (similar to Caravan which is $1 less than Lab), and a relatively weak attack brings the cost to $5 (similar to Smithy -> Rabble). It still can be a reasonable purchase in absence of exilers, for example, for +Buy.

Thank you! And thank you for the simple fix. However, I think I need to leave the price at $6. Even though the card says +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1, it being at the start of your next turn makes it worth more. If a Caravan this turn is a Laboratory next turn, then a Thelony this turn is a level 3 City next turn.

Update to my entry:

At the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1. While this is in play, when any other player discards a card from their Exile mat on their turn, they take 1 [Debt Token].

All in all, I think this would be a valuable card in any kingdom, and it would likely be highly sought after if the attack can gain traction via other cards in the kingdom (like Camel Train).

[Edit] FYI: the definition of thelony is, “A toll or custom required from travelling merchants as a tax on doing business.” (Source: Wikipedia)

If this would be the only card in kingdom related to exile mat, the attack part won't work. Your opponents will never discard a card from exile.

And what about this thing I pointed about the attack, don't you think it's important?

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: May 06, 2020, 06:05:32 pm »

I just realized that this 50% is wrong... each player has a 50% chance of being able to afford it on turn 1; which is a 25% chance that one player but not both players will be able to buy it turn 1.

Yes, but even 25% is a high percentual of matches with some advantage for a player (thank you for pointing this to me), so, accepting Holger suggestion I made it debt cost.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: May 06, 2020, 09:19:23 pm »

Update to my entry:

This would be valuable, but I feel it would lose much of its value if there weren’t any exiling cards in the supply.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: May 06, 2020, 10:12:18 pm »

Manufacturer (Name still in flux)
Action $6
+1 Action
Choose 1:
Exile a non-Victory card from the supply
OR
Gain a copy of a card you have at least 3 copies of in Exile.
-------------------------------
In games using this, you may not buy cards you have copies of in Exile

I think player would be in trouble if pile run out before he gains the 4th copy.

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: May 06, 2020, 10:55:06 pm »

The point is to use gainers (e.g. Workshop) instead.
you could also do a Gold spam situation

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: May 07, 2020, 12:33:16 am »
+3

No, Awaclus is right. The chance that Alice gets heads and Bob tails is indeed 0.25. But the chance that one of them gets heads while the other gets tails is 0.5.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: May 07, 2020, 12:36:39 am »
+3

That would be the case if Thelony were a cantrip on the current turn.
But it is not, it is a totally delayed Market and thus weaker than Caravan in two respects: Lab is better than Market and totally delayed is worse than only the non-cantrip part being delayed (like in the case of Caravan).

We know from the Night-Durations that delaying the card draw is OK. But the card being terminal on the current term is definitely not something you want, you want the +1 Action now.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:39:35 am by segura »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5567 on: May 07, 2020, 11:45:17 am »

It seems prudent to mention that Donald's testing found that it's bad to Exile useful cards. I guess it feels awful when another player empties that pile out or something.

Anyhow, my entry:
Relief Aid - Action Victory, $4 cost.
You may let each player (including yourself) trash a Copper from their hand. Exile up to 2 Coppers from the trash.
-
Worth 1VP per 3 Coppers you have in Exile (round down).

Edit: made the copper trashing optional, using wording that doesn't appear on any official card. Does it make sense? Each player has the option to trash if you let them, they aren't forced to.

It almost reads like you choose per-other-player whether they can or not?
Like if I'm playing against Aquila, Barbarossa41, and ConMan, I can say, hey, Aquila, you get to trash a copper this turn, and i get to, but not Barbarossa41 or ConMan.
I know you're more experienced of a designer than to make that political of a card but someone newer to the game may see it that way.

You may want to do something like
Choose one or both:
Each other player may trash a Copper from their hand; or Trash a Copper from your hand.

Exile up to 2 Coppers from the trash
-
Worth 1% per 3 Coppers you have Exiled (round down).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: May 07, 2020, 12:04:13 pm »

No, Awaclus is right. The chance that Alice gets heads and Bob tails is indeed 0.25. But the chance that one of them gets heads while the other gets tails is 0.5.

Oh oops. Or maybe I'll just pretend it wasn't a mistake, and I actually only cared about the chances of me getting screwed, not of my opponent getting screwed.

Holger

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: May 07, 2020, 12:54:14 pm »
+1

Indeed. For comparison, the chance that one player has a 5/2 start and the other has a 4/3 start (ignoring the order in both cases) is 10/36, or about 28%.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: May 07, 2020, 05:30:04 pm »
+3

It seems prudent to mention that Donald's testing found that it's bad to Exile useful cards. I guess it feels awful when another player empties that pile out or something.

Anyhow, my entry:
You may let each player (including yourself) trash a Copper from their hand. Exile up to 2 Coppers from the trash.
-

Edit: made the copper trashing optional, using wording that doesn't appear on any official card. Does it make sense? Each player has the option to trash if you let them, they aren't forced to.

It almost reads like you choose per-other-player whether they can or not?
Like if I'm playing against Aquila, Barbarossa41, and ConMan, I can say, hey, Aquila, you get to trash a copper this turn, and i get to, but not Barbarossa41 or ConMan.
I know you're more experienced of a designer than to make that political of a card but someone newer to the game may see it that way.

You may want to do something like
Choose one or both:
Each other player may trash a Copper from their hand; or Trash a Copper from your hand.

Exile up to 2 Coppers from the trash
-
Worth 1% per 3 Coppers you have Exiled (round down).

OK, let's try avoiding fancy wording:
You may trash a Copper from your hand. If you do, each other player may trash a Copper from their hand. Exile up to 2 Coppers from the trash.
-
It just looks clumsy, but I guess it's fine. Either everyone may trash or nobody does, your choice. I hope it's an interesting choice for the opponents; sometimes you need to keep a Copper, sometimes you don't want to give VP away even though you're thinning the deck.
Although actually, there's not much that can be done to counter an opposing Relief Aid other than going with your own and contesting the Coppers, you're not going to hold them back and keep them in deck, so it might just cause mirror games...

Alright, here's a new entry:
Escapist - Action Attack, $4 cost.
+ $2
Each other player gains a Curse. They may reveal a Curse from their hand; if anyone does, Exile this.
Opponents can get a bit of payback, but hopefully not enough to avoid getting this at all.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: May 09, 2020, 05:25:22 pm »
+3

Courier - Action - $4
+2$
Gain an Action card to the top of your Deck. Each other player may Exile a copy of the card from the Supply.

Anyone else's favorite part of Messenger the on-buy part? This card builds on that idea by making it the main focus. Everyone gets this card, but the player of the Courier gets it very soon (next turn, or even this turn) while everyone else needs to buy a copy first.

There's a bunch of clever ways to use Courier. You want to courier a card that people don't want more than one copy of. Stop cards could be good. The problem is, Courier is already a stop card, so you have to keep that in mind.

Open to feedback! The general mechanic of gain to top of deck, other people exile, is the fixed and important (and I think fun) concept of the card. The bonus (in this case, +2$ but it has to be terminal for sure), the limit of what cards you can gain (limiting to action vs limiting by price?) could change for sure.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:42:18 pm by anordinaryman »

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: May 09, 2020, 06:49:06 pm »
+1

Courier - Action - $4
+2$
Gain an Action card to the top of your Deck. Each other player may Exile a copy of the card from the Supply.

I really like this. Not sure about the balance, but seems reasonable as is. It might actually be quite strong.
The main uses will probably be the "only I get a copy" use that messenger has, where you play it, gaining something whose pile you empty by the end of the turn. Notably, it is much easier than messenger to be the only person who gets a copy - all you have to do in run the pile this turn, and their cards are stuck in exile forever.

Any reason why there is a "may"? Seems unnecessary; it is very hard for an Exiled Action to hurt you.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: May 09, 2020, 07:41:23 pm »

Courier - Action - $4
+2$

I really like this. Not sure about the balance, but seems reasonable as is. It might actually be quite strong.
The main uses will probably be the "only I get a copy" use that messenger has, where you play it, gaining something whose pile you empty by the end of the turn. Notably, it is much easier than messenger to be the only person who gets a copy - all you have to do in run the pile this turn, and their cards are stuck in exile forever.

Any reason why there is a "may"? Seems unnecessary; it is very hard for an Exiled Action to hurt you.

The reason for the "may" is to weaken it in ways I think are interesting. Namely, it combats the issue you mentioned how it's easier than messenger to be the only person with a copy. The player to the left can choose to not exile a copy so there is one more in the supply for them to gain on their next turn. You're right, for the vast majority of time, the other players will probably exile a copy. Even if they don't want the card, they lose nothing by having it exiled (except for Wall, etc). But giving them the choice helps out a bit to weaken the card, and I agree it seems like one of the stronger 4s, so I'd like to keep the may clause. If you think it would add too much AP or complexity, I could be persuaded to drop the may, it would be simpler. But that was my reasoning.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I didn't "may" the gaining though, and I don't plan on.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: May 09, 2020, 08:10:01 pm »

Courier - Action - $4
+2$

Anyone else's favorite part of Messenger the on-buy part? This card builds on that idea by making it the main focus. Everyone gets this card, but the player of the Courier gets it very soon (next turn, or even this turn) while everyone else needs to buy a copy first.

There's a bunch of clever ways to use Courier. You want to courier a card that people don't want more than one copy of. Stop cards could be good. The problem is, Courier is already a stop card, so you have to keep that in mind.

Open to feedback! The general mechanic of gain to top of deck, other people exile, is the fixed and important (and I think fun) concept of the card. The bonus (in this case, +2$ but it has to be terminal for sure), the limit of what cards you can gain (limiting to action vs limiting by price?) could change for sure.

This is gonna run out piles real quick... There's a reason messenger is on buy, and only your first one at that.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.