Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1559703 times)

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5525 on: May 05, 2020, 09:15:34 pm »
+2

New World
Types: Event
Cost: $6
Once per game: Put the cards you have in Exile into your hand. Exile all cards from your deck, your discard pile, and that you have in play.
Setup: Each player Exiles 2 Coppers, 1 Gold, and 2 Curses from the Supply, and the same set of 4 different unused Action cards.
Clarification: Each players' Exile mat begins containing copies of the same cards with the same set of 4 Action cards.  If Monument, Scheme, Sheepdog, and Torturer were chosen, each player Exiles copies of that same collection of 4 Action cards (along with the 2 Coppers, 1 Gold, and 2 Curses).

A silly setup Event.  You lose all your deck that you don't have in your hand (unfortunate happenstance that Duration cards still in effect get Exiled from play too, but that only applies for one turn per game (and should happen pretty early in games you want to trigger New World), so it shouldn't get too hairy).  You have an extra deck of 9 cards waiting for you in the New World with otherwise unavailable Action cards.  Because of the way the Exile mat works, you can of course bring the Gold from the New World back to the old world (the unused Action cards cannot be brought over without buying either New World or Transport because you won't be able to gain copies of them), or you can swap over to the New World and then start bringing lost cards from the old world over.  You could also grab an extra Copper or Curse before getting New World to clean up Exile first before making the swap.

The numbers might be all wrong for this thing to work.  Let me know if you think it's interesting or salvageable.  I'm not sure if it is.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: May 05, 2020, 09:51:53 pm »
+1

Coyote
Action - $5
Exile this or a card from your hand. +1 Card per $1 it costs.
-
When you gain or trash this, you may play it
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:38:52 pm by NoMoreFun »

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: May 06, 2020, 02:13:03 am »
+1

This entry has been superseded by another.
See reply 5558.

I’ll save you all the google and tell you the definition of thelony is, “A toll or custom required from travelling merchants as a tax on doing business.” (Source: Wikipedia)

Thelony — ($6)(Action - Attack - Duration)(005v2)
At the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1. While this is in play, when any other player discards a card from their Exile mat, they take 1 [Debt Token].

The attack half of this card never changed, though I have considered limiting it by saying “While this is in play, the first time each other player discards a card from their Exile mat, they take 1 [Debt Token].”

The tricky part was the other half. I considered just about everything (adjusting card cost as I did). I started to settle on the idea of a delayed City (after all, if a Caravan is a delayed Lab, adding an Action would make a delayed City). But it didn’t quite fit the theme of taxing merchants, so I added the +1 Buy & +$1. Now, on the surface it looks like a Market, but it is really taxing merchants to build up to a delayed lvl 3 City.

Now for the cost. This is the part I have been most uncertain of. I considered Caravan, a $4-costing cantrip & delayed Lab. I imagined adding the +1 Action to Caravan would likely make it worth $5; and adding +1 Buy & +$1 would likely make it worth $6. But Caravan starts as a cantrip where Thelony does nothing on play; I hope that difference justifies the attack portion being there.

Open to suggestions.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 05:52:34 pm by Optimal_Inefficiency »

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: May 06, 2020, 03:09:15 am »
+3

I’ll save you all the google and tell you the definition of thelony is, “A toll or custom required from travelling merchants as a tax on doing business.” (Source: Wikipedia)

At the start of your next turn: +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, and +$1. While this is in play, when any other player discards a card from their Exile mat, they take 1 [Debt Token].

The attack half of this card never changed, though I have considered limiting it by saying “While this is in play, the first time each other player discards a card from their Exile mat, they take 1 [Debt Token].”

The tricky part was the other half. I considered just about everything (adjusting card cost as I did). I started to settle on the idea of a delayed City (after all, if a Caravan is a delayed Lab, adding an Action would make a delayed City). But it didn’t quite fit the theme of taxing merchants, so I added the +1 Buy & +$1. Now, on the surface it looks like a Market, but it is really taxing merchants to build up to a delayed lvl 3 City.

Now for the cost. This is the part I have been most uncertain of. I considered Caravan, a $4-costing cantrip & delayed Lab. I imagined adding the +1 Action to Caravan would likely make it worth $5; and adding +1 Buy & +$1 would likely make it worth $6. But Caravan starts as a cantrip where Thelony does nothing on play; I hope that difference justifies the attack portion being there.

Open to suggestions.

If this would be the only card in kingdom related to exile mat, the attack part won't work. Your opponents will never discard a card from exile.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: May 06, 2020, 06:00:03 am »

My entry:

Great Cathedral • $4 • Project

At the start of your turn, choose one: exile a card from your hand; or put a non-treasure card from exile into your hand.

Cathedral meets Island and Save.

It brings a lot of versatility at the start of your turn.

The first option (exile a card from your hand):

- For junk or weak cards, works in a similar way as Cathedral, getting rid of one per turn (Cathedral to trash, Great Cathedral to exile).

- For VP cards, works as a permanently princed Island, put them away without lose them. This enables start greening earlier.

The second option (put a non-treasure card from exile into your hand):

- Makes exiling not compulsory. If you don’t want to unmake a good hand, you can choose get a card from exile, even if it is a junk, like sometimes we choose gain a curse when attacked by Torturer.

- With a hand with terminal collision, enables Great Cathedral act as Save, with more control: exile one terminal, get it back in a turn you want to use it.

Many good options, but you can do only one per turn, so it’s not overpowered.

Cathedral effect is better in first turns, Save effect in midgame and Island effect after start greening.

Since the Cathedral effect is better when starts early, I made it $4. If it costs $6, it would be slow in cleaning comparing to good cheap trashers. If $5, a player with 5-2 could take advantage. So $4 and all players could open with it, if they want.

Open with Transport –  Great Cathedral could seem too strong at first, you can play a Goons at turn 3, for example, but also you can do it if you open Transport-Transport. So, I think it’s fine at $4.

It speeds up Transport and Camel Train, since you can play in your next turn cards exiled by them. It’s also very good but not extreme, effect is similar to when you topdeck a gained card.

Great Cathedral can’t put treasures from exile into your hand, so you can’t use it as a kind of an early Crypt, can’t get to hand the golds exiled from Camel Train gain (which could be too strong in first turns) and can’t combo it with Way of the Camel or Stockpile  (which could be also too strong, a Hireling that always gives a gold or a gold with +buy).

-- Edited to change cost of the card to <8> (see post below) --

New changed entry:

Great Cathedral • <8> • Project

At the start of your turn, choose one: exile a card from your hand; or put a non-treasure card from exile into your hand.

The cost at <8> make it available to all players on turn 1 and make it not strictly better than Cathedral. Also it leaves <1> to be paid on turn 3 if bought on turn 1, so the cost to buy it on turn 1 would be: buy nothing more on turns 1 and 2 and reduce your payload on turn 3. I think it makes it a less obvious opening strategy over others available on kingdom, especially if it has good trashers.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:15:47 am by Carline »

Supernova888

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Supernova888
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: May 06, 2020, 06:07:26 am »
+2

Here's my entry! A workshop that would be very powerful, but it has some exiling mechanics to slow it down. It's designed to help most with actions, but it can help out with any sort of board setup. Not sure if it's too good with Victory cards, though I feel like at that point it's usually just a groundskeeper; I'm willing to add a "non-Victory" clause. I'd love to hear any suggestions!

Commissioner • $5 • Action
If you have any Action cards in Exile, put one into your hand. Otherwise, +1 Card, Exile a card from the Supply costing up to $4.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 06:13:20 am by Supernova888 »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5531 on: May 06, 2020, 06:25:03 am »

Open to suggestions.

up to now debt has always been voluntary for a player to take - they choose when to buy a debt-giving card or event - but with Coven this could compel debt for other players.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:44:56 am by spineflu »

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: May 06, 2020, 08:06:17 am »
+1

I had not considered the interaction with Coven. That would be a crushing blow. I’ll have to redo this.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5533 on: May 06, 2020, 09:22:34 am »
+2

Great Cathedral • $4 • Project

Cathedral is already the 2nd strongest card-shaped thing in the game and not only is this way stronger, there's a 50% chance that only one player can buy it on turn 1 which puts the other at a severe disadvantage.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: May 06, 2020, 09:31:58 am »

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:33:52 am by pubby »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: May 06, 2020, 09:39:29 am »

Rebel is a bit like Coven, but friendly. It's got that buildup effect like Coven, but with Silver instead. And when you reach your threshold, you get to Expand a card, hooray. You discard all the silvers even if you have more than 3 exiled, I'm not sure if that was clear enough.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:27:52 pm by D782802859 »

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: May 06, 2020, 09:53:39 am »

Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Exile a card from your hand
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 09:58:16 am by MrHiTech »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: May 06, 2020, 10:53:24 am »

Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Stronger than Laboratory, for less cost. Also compare to Junk Dealer; stronger than that for less cost. This Pony as written could possibly work at .
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

grep

• Explorer
  • Respect: +457
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: May 06, 2020, 12:15:47 pm »

Did you mean "Exiles a Silver from Supply"? Otherwise it is not that friendly and has an accountability problem.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1434
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: May 06, 2020, 12:22:40 pm »

Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Stronger than Laboratory, for less cost. Also compare to Junk Dealer; stronger than that for less cost. This Pony as written could possibly work at .
While you are correct, a small detail is that this is not strictly better than Lab. A Lab never hurts whereas this might. Or in others words, although Pony is better than Lab, you want more Labs than Ponies.

Of course practically speaking, just like you can trash the second Junk Dealer via the first, you can exile the second Pony via the first. And as Pony can exile green, it is longer useful than Junk Dealer.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: May 06, 2020, 12:25:03 pm »

Did you mean "Exiles a Silver from Supply"? Otherwise it is not that friendly and has an accountability problem.
Yes, that's a wording issue. I'll fix that.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: May 06, 2020, 12:27:12 pm »

Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action

While you are correct, a small detail is that this is not strictly better than Lab. A Lab never hurts whereas this might. Or in others words, although Pony is better than Lab, you want more Labs than Ponies.

Of course practically speaking, just like you can trash the second Junk Dealer via the first, you can exile the second Pony via the first. And as Pony can exile green, it is longer useful than Junk Dealer.
It's also better, albeit not strictly, than Junk Dealer because it has no treasure restriction and Exiles cards which is very usually better than trashing.

grep

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: May 06, 2020, 12:29:55 pm »

First of all, I love the name!
On interaction with Coven, the issue is that two rarely involuntary actions collide: Coven is the only official card that forces discarding from Exile.
It can be solved with only taxing on the player's own turn.
The cost looks too high to me: a delayed Marked is a weak $4 (similar to Caravan which is $1 less than Lab), and a relatively weak attack brings the cost to $5 (similar to Smithy -> Rabble). It still can be a reasonable purchase in absence of exilers, for example, for +Buy.

grep

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: May 06, 2020, 12:38:22 pm »
+1

Coyote
Action - $4
Exile this or a card from your hand. +1 Card per $1 it costs.
-
When you gain or trash this, you may play it
Exiling a Province for +8 Cards is way too strong. For sanity, it should be limited to non-Victory cards (with "You may" for accountability), or alternatively don't give a bonus for exiling Victory cards
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:58:37 pm by grep »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: May 06, 2020, 01:25:36 pm »

Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action

I don't think that matters here; Junk Dealer is not strictly better than Poacher either, but it costs more for a very good reason. Forced trashing is not going to be an issue with a game that has an option as strong as strong as Lab + trash... just like Cathedral, the forced trashing barely works are a drawback. And with Exile instead of Trash, that effect is even more true; I don't see you ever wishing you hadn't played that Pony.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: May 06, 2020, 01:25:53 pm »

Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action

It's also better, albeit not strictly, than Junk Dealer because it has no treasure restriction and Exiles cards which is very usually better than trashing.

Did you mean to say Junk Dealer?

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: May 06, 2020, 01:59:18 pm »
+2

Updating my entry:
Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Exile an Action card from your hand (or reveal a hand with no Action cards)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: May 06, 2020, 02:04:16 pm »

Updating my entry:
Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Exile an Action card from your hand (or reveal a hand with no Action cards)

I like this. It also makes better use of the fact that it's Exile; while the old version was just a slight variant on Trash.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: May 06, 2020, 02:26:38 pm »

Pony (Action, Cost $4)
+2 Cards
+1 Action

Did you mean to say Junk Dealer?
My mistake, I meant Spice Merchant.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: May 06, 2020, 03:17:45 pm »
+1

Cathedral is already the 2nd strongest card-shaped thing in the game and not only is this way stronger, there's a 50% chance that only one player can buy it on turn 1 which puts the other at a severe disadvantage.

The only situation one player can buy it on turn 1 and the other not is if only one player have a hand with two coppers and three estates on turn 1. I think this chance is smaller than 50%, doesn't?

Anyway, the other player always can buy it on turn 2, so the first buyer wiil be only one trash ahead. Is it really so severe? I mean, the same situation could occur with any trasher depending on hands.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.