Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546639 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5500 on: May 04, 2020, 10:08:35 pm »

Oki
cost $5 - Action
Exile up to 2 cards from your hand.

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: May 04, 2020, 10:36:06 pm »
+1

Cowherd by Carline
An ultimate tool for horse management. With a little help of deck control (like Scheme), your Horses will never run away. Sounds pretty strong, but just comparable with a Ferry on labs, so I think it's not extreme. Short List

Thank you for your comments. I'm happy to be in the short list in my first attempt to create a card. Congratulations to X-tra for the win and for such a beautiful set of cards.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5502 on: May 04, 2020, 10:53:15 pm »

Judging will be done on the 20-05-11 at 8PM EST.
I read this as the 5th day of the 20th month, 2011. Then may 20th, 2011. Am I correct in assuming this is May 11th, 2020?

Ah yes, your last assumption is the correct one. I always have this habit of writing my dates with the YY-MM-DD format. ;D
Bottom text

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: May 05, 2020, 01:03:13 am »
+1

Edit: This entry has been replaced. See further downthread.

Disgraced Salesman
$5
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Exile this. +$1 per copy of this you have in Exile.

New entry:

Toolsmith
$4
Action
Exile 2 non-Victory cards from the Supply costing up to $4.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:50:45 am by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: May 05, 2020, 03:36:11 am »
+3

EDIT: I turned the Way into a project as that is a lot cleaner.
EDIT2: Added an on-buy effect to make the card less narrow and reduce the opportunity cost.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 05:12:45 am by grrgrrgrr »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5505 on: May 05, 2020, 04:36:30 am »

It seems prudent to mention that Donald's testing found that it's bad to Exile useful cards. I guess it feels awful when another player empties that pile out or something.

Anyhow, my entry:

Escapist - Action Attack, $4 cost.
+ $2
Each other player gains a Curse. They may reveal a Curse from their hand; if anyone does, Exile this.
Opponents can get a bit of payback, but hopefully not enough to avoid getting this at all.

Former entry:
Relief Aid - Action Victory, $4 cost.
You may trash a Copper from your hand. If you do, each other player may trash a Copper from their hand. Exile up to 2 Coppers from the trash.
-
Worth 1VP per 3 Coppers you have in Exile (round down).

Edit: made the copper trashing optional, using wording that doesn't appear on any official card. Does it make sense? Each player has the option to trash if you let them, they aren't forced to.

Edit 2: removed 'either way' as per Rhodos' observation.

Edit 3: made the copper trashing clearer. Then changed entry to Escapist. (Relief Aid would probably cause mirror games.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 05:32:09 pm by Aquila »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5506 on: May 05, 2020, 04:46:38 am »
+1

It seems prudent to mention that Donald's testing found that it's bad to Exile useful cards. I guess it feels awful when another player empties that pile out or something.
This is a good point. Thus, I am withdrawing my entry and entering this one:

Toolsmith
$4
Action
Exile 2 non-Victory cards from the Supply costing up to $4.

Let me know if this should cost $5, or if there are other balance issues.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 04:49:24 am by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5507 on: May 05, 2020, 07:15:09 am »

Runners Up
Forest Hag by D782802859
Horse Meadow by Rhodos

Winner
Stallions by X-tra

Thanks, Runner Up is great :) Congrats to X-tra! And also to D782802859.

And yes I agree, it takes forever to judge and give feedback on so many contestants. (And don't get me wrong, I am happy the WDC is so active!)
So don't worry about delay and thanks for judging, Grep!

Horse Meadow by Rhodos
An elegant and thematic Project, similar to Sinister Plot. Everyone would like to buy it, so it should cost $4 or $6 to eliminate the 5/2 advantage. Short List

I have to disagree with the buying in the opening. The first few turns are so important and most 5 cost cards are so good that you should not skip them for Horse Meadow. As you likely won't buy a $2 or that $2 would not do much for you, you are 2 turns behind which is really bad. The only card that would change it is chapel, but chapel is just chapel. It's easier to get away with some good $3 trasher (Steward, Masquerade, Ambassador) plus Horse Meadow, that's why I priced it at $5.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:27:32 am by Rhodos »

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5508 on: May 05, 2020, 07:27:09 am »

My favourite entry was Horse Meadow, so I’m glad you put it as a finalist. Horses seems like a natural fit with the nature of Projects and if they came out with Renaissance, I’m sure we would have seen something really close to Horse Meadow.

Thanks for the nice words :) I have to admit that I myself was too lazy to take a look at all the Stallions cards. But I guess, I will take the time to do so, since if they are implemented nicely, they can add to the game.

Still, thanks for choosing my Stallions as winners. It's true that I didn't make it obvious how they play in practice, so thanks for having faith in 'em regardless. Now, I wonder now if the number of participants will increase once more; in which case I’m in trouble, haha! :D

Good luck with this one :D

I guess I could submit my last entry and have good chances, but really that is not why I am here :D

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5509 on: May 05, 2020, 08:31:39 am »

Recompense (Treasure, $5)

+$0

When you play this, gain a card costing up to $1 per differently named card you have on your Exile mat. If it’s a Victory card, trash this.
———
When you gain this, Exile a card from your hand.

A Horn of Plenty variant that cares about your Exile mat. As well as a gainer, it can be used to free cards from Exile, if you want that.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5510 on: May 05, 2020, 08:38:56 am »

Runners Up
Forest Hag by D782802859
Horse Meadow by Rhodos

Winner
Stallions by X-tra

Thanks, Runner Up is great :) Congrats to X-tra! And also to D782802859.

And yes I agree, it takes forever to judge and give feedback on so many contestants. (And don't get me wrong, I am happy the WDC is so active!)
So don't worry about delay and thanks for judging, Grep!

Horse Meadow by Rhodos
An elegant and thematic Project, similar to Sinister Plot. Everyone would like to buy it, so it should cost $4 or $6 to eliminate the 5/2 advantage. Short List

I have to disagree with the buying in the opening. The first few turns are so important and most 5 cost cards are so good that you should not skip them for Horse Meadow. As you likely won't buy a $2 or that $2 would not do much for you, you are 2 turns behind which is really bad. The only card that would change it is chapel, but chapel is just chapel. It's easier to get away with some good $3 trasher (Steward, Masquerade, Ambassador) plus Horse Meadow, that's why I priced it at $5.

I’ll have you know I had a heart attack when I read this. I’d just gone through that whole thing with the date this round was done and everything!

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5511 on: May 05, 2020, 09:39:39 am »

Recompense (Treasure, $5)

+$0

When you play this, gain a card costing up to $1 per differently named card you have on your Exile mat. If it’s a Victory card, trash this.
———
When you gain this, Exile a card from your hand.

A Horn of Plenty variant that cares about your Exile mat. As well as a gainer, it can be used to free cards from Exile, if you want that.

If this is the only card in kingdom related to exile mat, you have to gain four Recompenses before it works as a Workshop. Seems weak to me.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5512 on: May 05, 2020, 10:33:56 am »

Anyhow, my entry:
You may let each player (including yourself) trash a Copper from their hand. Either way, Exile up to 2 Coppers from the trash.
-

Edit: made the copper trashing optional, using wording that doesn't appear on any official card. Does it make sense? Each player has the option to trash if you let them, they aren't forced to.

Just use Bishop's wording: Each player (including you) may trash a Copper from their hand.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5513 on: May 05, 2020, 11:19:44 am »
+2

EDIT: This is withdrawn; new entry downthread.

Studio • $4 • Action
Gain or Exile a card costing up to $4.
-
When this is discarded from Exile, +1 Coffers.

I don't think this needs to be a reaction. It's sort of a joke about how long it can take to finish paintings, i guess. Also sort of a counterpart to Sculptor, although a little cheaper because it takes more farting around to get its bonus.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:12:39 am by spineflu »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5514 on: May 05, 2020, 11:25:19 am »
+1

Discarded
See below the new version

Way of the Cicada
Exile this and a copy of this from the Supply.
-
If you discard any cards from Exile this turn, put them on top of the deck.

Flavor: Periodical Cicadas stay underground for years, and then all the swarm flies out
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:01:27 pm by grep »

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5515 on: May 05, 2020, 12:11:18 pm »
+1

Way of the Cicada
-
If you discard any cards from Exile this turn, put them on top of the deck.

Flavor: Periodical Cicadas stay underground for years, and then all the swarm flies out

I guess you get tracking issues with the part below the line.

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5516 on: May 05, 2020, 12:23:42 pm »
+1

Anyhow, my entry:
You may let each player (including yourself) trash a Copper from their hand. Either way, Exile up to 2 Coppers from the trash.
-

Just use Bishop's wording: Each player (including you) may trash a Copper from their hand.

It would do something slightly different than Aquila's wording, since with the wording as is, you could deny them the trashing, if you skip it yourself.

I would drop the "Either way". What does it do on the card? There is no dependency between the sentences, that would suggest you exile the Coppers only in one of the cases.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5517 on: May 05, 2020, 01:04:01 pm »
+2

Still massaging my card to fit the idea of releasing the swarm

Way of the Cicada
Once per game: you may set aside all copies of this you have in Exile. If you did, play them all.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5518 on: May 05, 2020, 01:12:19 pm »

Way of the Cicada
Once per game: you may set aside all copies of this you have in Exile. If you did, play them all.

As soon as you buy and play your fourth Bridge in a game, you buy all Provinces. Or even on just your third play of a Bridge, you have + other coins to spend and Provinces cost . This is WAY overpowered.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5519 on: May 05, 2020, 01:28:19 pm »

Way of the Cicada

As soon as you buy and play your fourth Bridge in a game, you buy all Provinces. Or even on just your third play of a Bridge, you have + other coins to spend and Provinces cost . This is WAY overpowered.
To set up 8 Bridges, you need ~12 turns, this is not the fastest possible combo rush.
And the whole plan will be ruined if the opponent gains 4 Bridges.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5520 on: May 05, 2020, 01:36:23 pm »

Most likely a 3-Bridge megaturn will be more optimal. But even so, you should be able to expect to buy a Bridge about once every-other turn. You could easily play Bridge on turn 3 or 4, then 5 or 6, then 7 or 8... So on turn 7 or 8 you get 6 Bridges in play all at once. And it's not just Bridge, but any terminal that you want to play several of, like Goons, etc.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: May 05, 2020, 02:02:43 pm »

Most likely a 3-Bridge megaturn will be more optimal. But even so, you should be able to expect to buy a Bridge about once every-other turn. You could easily play Bridge on turn 3 or 4, then 5 or 6, then 7 or 8... So on turn 7 or 8 you get 6 Bridges in play all at once. And it's not just Bridge, but any terminal that you want to play several of, like Goons, etc.
When you play the Bridge for Exile, you give up the opportunity to play it in a normal way, and it's very likely that you will be unable to buy a Bridge this turn - this slows down and lets the opponent win the split by buying and *using* Bridges. So it is not that easy - if your megablow does not immediately win, you will end up with a deck overburdened with terminals.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: May 05, 2020, 02:27:05 pm »

Sanctum

+1 Card
+1 Action

Choose one: put a card from Exile into your hand; or you may Exile a card from your hand that you do not already have a copy of in Exile.

Action
$4

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: May 05, 2020, 03:03:08 pm »

Sanctum

+1 Card
+1 Action

Choose one: put a card from Exile into your hand; or you may Exile a card from your hand that you do not already have a copy of in Exile.

Action
$4

If this is the only card related to exile mat in Kingdom, you probably won't have a good card in exile mat to use first option, since almost always is better play it in the first time it's in your hand. The exception is if you draw dead a good action, but in this case it seems like a more expensive Save with more delay.

It's not so good also to exile junk, since you can exile only one copy of each.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:30:33 pm by Carline »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: May 05, 2020, 05:03:09 pm »

Anyhow, my entry:
-

It would do something slightly different than Aquila's wording, since with the wording as is, you could deny them the trashing, if you skip it yourself.

I would drop the "Either way". What does it do on the card? There is no dependency between the sentences, that would suggest you exile the Coppers only in one of the cases.
Rhodos is correct on both accounts, thanks for this. I've removed 'either way'. Sometimes there are plenty of Coppers in the trash and you don't want to give them the trashing gift. The whole everyone trash bit is there to be thematic (will they contribute to the charitable cause?) and to allow other copper trashing in games to be superior (the main role of this is VP).
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.