Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546189 times)

Carline

• Witch
  • Respect: +391
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5475 on: May 03, 2020, 03:59:08 am »

Cowboy • $3 • Action - Reaction
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-
While this is in play, when you play a Horse, exile it.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: May 03, 2020, 05:18:27 am »

+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-
This doesn't need to be a Reaction. See Highway, Lighthouse, etc.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: May 03, 2020, 05:31:27 am »
+1

quote author=[TP] Inferno link=topic=18987.msg836399#msg836399 date=1588497507]
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-
This doesn't need to be a Reaction. See Highway, Lighthouse, etc.

Yes, thank you!

So, I'm changing my entry to exclude reaction type:

Cowboy • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5478 on: May 03, 2020, 10:22:54 am »

I'm changing my entry again - typing up yall's entries for the trello board gave me a better idea (revised version)

Badlands • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards. Gain 2 Horses.
-
While this is in play, when another player plays a Horse, instead of following its instructions, they choose two: +1 Card; +1 Action; or +$1 (The choices must be different); then return that Horse to its pile.
Bur or no buy, it is basically a Wharf so everybody will go for it, there will always be copies in play, Horses will never do anything.

So absent action density sensitive cards like Golem or Scrying Pool, this will play very similarly to a Wharf without Buys. Which is totally OK, Wharf is after all crazily overpowered. But you could achieve the same thing in a far more straightforward fashion.

But unlike Wharf, you absolutely have to contest this to prevent your opponent from drawing a total of six cards from a single $5 card, in addition to being attacked. So Badlands should be nerfed or cost at least $6 IMO.

Making the Horses a choice seems unnecessarily wordy. Plus you get major tracking issues if you pick +$1 and then return it to the Horses pile. While I suppose it technically makes Horses even worse without the choice, +1 Card +1 Action would be much simpler.
there are no such tracking issues with spoils

That's because Spoils doesn't give you a choice, and you often play your spoils all at once. The problem with having cards that give you +$ that move is that people usually count up their money produced after their action phase. Sure, vault and storehouse have variable money, but they stay in play so you have a trigger to remember how much you made.

I didn't even think about this, but this is compounded by the fact that +1 Action can NOT be a part of the effect if you choose +1 Card +$1. Having a card that returns immediately that gives you no actions will be confusing because if you're trying to remember how many actions you have during a large turn, it will be very easy to miss the fact that you played a nerfed Horse there.

Either of these situations might be suboptimal but okay if they were consistent, however my argument that it's a major tracking issue because of the choice. Not only do you have to remember that you played that horse and had something vital changed there, you have to remember what changed - two things you want to avoid about hard-to-track cards put together.

Also, sorry - while I'm nitpicking, if I understand it correctly, the new wording as of Menagerie would be "choose 2 different things" rather than "Choose two [...] (the choices must be different)."

(Btw, I don't mean to just be negative about your card. The concept at its core is really cool! There are just a lot of moving parts imo.)

noted, but also all of these are fixed if i remove the virtual coin. So i did that. turns horses into vanishing cantrips, no choices.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: May 03, 2020, 04:34:54 pm »
+1

OK, so here is the modified version of my entry using States instead of Artifacts:

I think there's likely some tweaking to be done one I get to play test, but I think the general idea is solid, and does work better as States. And you may remember, I wasn't in love with the idea that one affected all Horses, and the other two just one - well, thematically, at least I solved that, since if you build a Corral you can use that for multiple, but Training and Saddling are really individual horse concepts (and I even captured that with the images!).

Anyway, feedback still (as always) welcome!

Equerry - Action - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action

Choose one: gain a Horse; or Exile this to take one of Corralled, Trained, or Saddled (that you don't already have).

Corralled - State
During your turns, Horses are also Reserve cards that read:
+1 Card, +1 Action, put this on your Tavern mat.
You may call this for +1 Card, then return this to its pile.

Trained - State
The first time you play a horse this turn, +1 Card.

Saddled - State
The first time you would return a Horse to its pile this turn, leave it in play instead.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: May 03, 2020, 07:02:34 pm »

Cowboy • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

A better name is Cowherd, wich is the word for the same occupation in old english.

So, I'm changing my entry to change card name:

Cowherd • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

It can chain with horses: play a Cowherd, play any Horses, play another Cowherd, release all Horses from exile.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: May 03, 2020, 08:11:26 pm »

My same entry, now with image:

Cowherd • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: May 03, 2020, 08:17:30 pm »

Sending again my entry with image, fixing word "ACTION"

Cowherd • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: May 03, 2020, 08:20:50 pm »

Cowherd • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

This image could be better. Do you know where there are good templates and fonts to do these images?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: May 03, 2020, 08:25:57 pm »

Cowherd • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

This image could be better. Do you know where there are good templates and fonts to do these images?

The Shard of Honor / VioletCLM generator is pretty good. it's what most of the rest of us use; as far as fonts, this'll use the actual dominion fonts if they're installed on your machine and similar fonts if they aren't.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: May 03, 2020, 08:26:04 pm »

Cowherd • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

Also, the word "horse" below the line should be with initial uppercase.

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: May 03, 2020, 08:41:01 pm »
+1

I think there's no more time to change entry. Anyway, I'm posting my card again , now with image done in Shard of Honor Violet CLM generator.

Cowherd • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

Carline

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: May 03, 2020, 09:04:23 pm »

I think there's no more time to change entry. Anyway, I'm posting my card again , now with image done in Shard of Honor Violet CLM generator.

Cowherd • $3 • Action
+1 Action
Gain a Horse
-

The deadline is exactly 24 hours after warning or in the end of the day?

If you could, please consider this last image I send as the right one.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: May 03, 2020, 10:49:46 pm »
+1

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: May 03, 2020, 11:19:33 pm »
+2

Official Cut
Hopefully I'll finish with judging in a few hours

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5490 on: May 04, 2020, 02:32:13 am »
+2

...Just to be safe and make sure it doesn't happen again, I will point out that I posted an entry for this contest...

Hey, I can use the card I thought of too late for last week's contest:
(I might replace Destrier with this in my games.)

Stallion
$7* - Action
+2 Cards.
+1 Action.
Gain a Horse.
-
In games using this, at the start of your buy phase, you may reveal and discard the top three cards of your deck. This turn, this costs $1 less for each treasure card revealed.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: May 04, 2020, 06:22:00 pm »

24 hour warning
It has now been 46 hours since this so-called “24-hour warning”. Some may chalk this up to human error, but I suspect something more sinister to be at hand.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 06:23:10 pm by MrHiTech »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: May 04, 2020, 06:34:09 pm »
+1

24 hour warning
It has now been 46 hours since this so-called “24-hour warning”. Some may chalk this up to human error, but I suspect something more sinister to be at hand.

Judging these contests is very time consuming and hard work. I don't know what this is a reference to but this is a very mean spirited comment even as a quote.

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: May 04, 2020, 06:45:58 pm »

24 hour warning

Judging these contests is very time consuming and hard work. I don't know what this is a reference to but this is a very mean spirited comment even as a quote.
It's a pun. Sinister originally meant left-handed.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: May 04, 2020, 07:49:45 pm »
+1

24 hour warning

Agree - I've spent like up to an hour considering some entries, and if i did it all at once, it'd be brutal. Grep can take as much time as he needs.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: May 04, 2020, 08:07:09 pm »
+5

The contest is growing exponentially - last time I judged 19 contestors and now it's 27.
Sorry for the delay.

Contest #71. Equestrian Revolution
Create a card (-shaped object) making use of the Horses pile

Farrier (Treasure) by mandioca15
Livery as a Treasure, but unlike Livery, it triggers on cheap buys and gives extra buys itself. When used in numbers, it can grab the whole Horse supply - not sure if it's great or broken

Way of the Zebra by alion8me
Variant Chameleon converting +Cards into +Horses. There must be some infinite loops with it

Horselord by segura
Night gainer might be pretty strong in the setups with cheap cards and +Buys. "Per gained non-Horse card" prevents it from being exponential - neat design trick  Short List

Feed by majiponi
Nice little trasher. Probably too slow to deal with junking attacks, but good for keeping the shape of the deck. The only problem is that there is quite a few nice little trashers around. Honorable Mention

Corral by [TP] Inferno
A Treasure that doesn't give any buying power but instead gives an Experiment - this is somewhat worse than Horn of Plenty, but an extra +Buy makes it a reasonable purchase in Buy-poor kingdoms.

Stallion by LibraryAdventurer
Technically it's a double Lab with the third card delayed. The sifting will be done most of the time even if the player doesn't currently hunt for Stallions - to my taste, a dubious rules change.

Farrier by Barbarossa41
Hopefully I've parsed this correctly (with a little reordering): Topdeck a Horse, Gain a Horse and Exile a Horse. This looks overpriced, as a two horses gainer costs $2

Breeder by NoMoreFun
With some skill and luck, this can be used for exponential breeding. I don't know why someone would need all the horses in the world though. Honorable Mention

Equerry by scolapasta
An Artifact tug-of-war similar to Border Guard, but the prizes are modest and even could be negative (Horses stuck in a stolen Corral). Exiling as a payment makes interesting dynamics. Honorable Mention

Community Farm by Aquila
A more flexible Academy which is also a bit of Diadem and a cheap Horse generator. Everyone will build it, but it needs some skill to choose among the alternatives, so I like it. Honorable Mention

Forest Hag by D782802859
Baba Yaga curses the hero but supports him with a good horse. When the curses are over, she is just nice. Probably a little overpriced. Short List

Stallions (pile) by X-tra
This is gorgeous - all those nice stallions in one pile. It's hard to understand the balance; the "single Arabian" clause makes it a little too political in multiplayer games. Short List

Bridle Craftsman by anordinaryman
It will turn the deck into something extremely swingy. This turn it's a Moat, but with the Horse gained it turns into a Lab. Not very manageable without support.

Mail System by MrHiTech
Expensive peddler which only makes sense when overpaid. Mostly useful when your engine stumbled at $7 and needs some grease.

Escaped Foul (ladder) by somekindoftony
"Gain all the Horses" is bold. Unfortunately it deprives the other player from gaining anything, potentially for several turns. I would probably topdeck all the gained Horses similar to Stampede to make some horses escape next turn. Honorable Mention

Horse Meadow by Rhodos
An elegant and thematic Project, similar to Sinister Plot. Everyone would like to buy it, so it should cost $4 or $6 to eliminate the 5/2 advantage. Short List

Farrier/Horseshoes by Optimal_Inefficiency
A smithy with a Horse on gain is interesting by itself, and the Horseshoe makes it even more valuable, especially with no other source of Horses, A trashing option makes this card even more versatile. Honorable Mention

Stable Master by Fragasnap
A desirable non-Gold for villageful engines - very likely to give 5-6 cards in total, but you likely need some cash to get it, and treasures slow it down.

Circus by artless
It's a peddler made of two cards, not unlike Merchant. You need a decent density to make it work, and it is still not very strong.

Racetrack/Abbatoir by BlueHairedMeerkat
Racetrack is a self-crippling terminal silver - topdecking a card from hand is too brutal, doesn't worth the compensation. I doubt someone will ever see Abbatoir.

Horse Farm(er) by spheremonk
Apprentice with a delayed payout, similar to Research. It needs some boost (+Buy?) to be likable

Badlands by spineflu
When one player buys a Badlands it's enormous advantage, like +8 draws per play. Anyone else has to follow the suit just to hobble the opponent's Horses. Without Villages in the kingdom, this will spoil the party for everyone.

Jockey by Supernova888
Feeding the horse with a discard for let it stay is neat and balanced. Honorable Mention

Wrastler by mail-mi
Terminal Silver with a nice delayed cashback. Three horses look just right, taking into account the slowness of the process (two shuffles to use the horse). Honorable Mention

Cowherd by Carline
An ultimate tool for horse management. With a little help of deck control (like Scheme), your Horses will never run away. Sounds pretty strong, but just comparable with a Ferry on labs, so I think it's not extreme. Short List

Tinkerer by Something_Smart
Probably not very strong by itself, this card has a great potential of megaturn combos. So great that it might be broken.

Short List
Horselord, Forest Hag, Stallions (pile), Horse Meadow, Cowherd

Runners Up
Forest Hag by D782802859
Horse Meadow by Rhodos

Winner
Stallions by X-tra

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: May 04, 2020, 08:21:55 pm »
+1

The contest is growing exponentially - last time I judged 19 contestors and now it's 27.
Sorry for the delay.
Equerry by scolapasta
An Artifact tug-of-war similar to Border Guard, but the prizes are modest and even could be negative (Horses stuck in a stolen Corral). Exiling as a payment makes interesting dynamics. Honorable Mention

Thanks for judging - you're right 27 is a lot!

I do want to point out that you got the new name for the card, but missed the key change - States instead of Artifacts, removing the tug-of-war since I agree the prizes are (purposefully*) modest. Also removes the negative.

* partially, because getting multiple would add up: imagine a Corralled, Saddled, Trained Horse - a lab on play, that you can call for an additional card, and that you get to keep.

While too late for this week's contest, I'd love to hear your opinion on these changes and how they might have improved my chances. :)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5497 on: May 04, 2020, 08:56:15 pm »
+3

Woah, 27 entries! What happened to this thread :D ? Anyway, thank you for taking the time to analyze everything. Seeing the judge put their thoughts on the table is always captivating to me. My favourite entry was Horse Meadow, so I’m glad you put it as a finalist. Horses seems like a natural fit with the nature of Projects and if they came out with Renaissance, I’m sure we would have seen something really close to Horse Meadow.

Still, thanks for choosing my Stallions as winners. It's true that I didn't make it obvious how they play in practice, so thanks for having faith in 'em regardless. Now, I wonder now if the number of participants will increase once more; in which case I’m in trouble, haha! :D

So for this week’s contest, I had 2 ideas. One is on the very straight-forward, simple side. The other one is a little trickier. But could be neat. I dunno. I’ll go for the simple one for now. Don’t wanna scare all those beautiful 27 persons away. :)

CONTEST 72: UNTIL I SEE YOU AGAIN
Utilize the Exile mechanic.

Rules are pretty simple for that one. Anything goes. So long as you make use of the newly introduced Exiling mechanic from Menagerie. Wanna do a Traveller line where only the last card of that line Exiles something? S’fine by me. A project that Exiles stuff? You go champ! An Action card which offers you a choice of Exiling something or doing other stuff? I’m telling you mate, you’re fine and dandy.
I invite you to read this page of the Dominion Wiki for more info on Exiling. Otherwise, if you have any enquiries, as always, do not be afraid of asking.

Judging will be done on the 20-05-11 at 8PM EST.

(and yes this contest is very much in the same spirit as Grep's previous one. We ain't done with Menagerie shenanigans anytime soon  8) )
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:59:05 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: May 04, 2020, 09:34:29 pm »
+1

Manufacturer (Name still in flux)
Action $6
+1 Action
Choose 1:
Exile a non-Victory card from the supply
OR
Gain a copy of a card you have at least 3 copies of in Exile.
-------------------------------
In games using this, you may not buy cards you have copies of in Exile

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: May 04, 2020, 10:06:30 pm »

Judging will be done on the 20-05-11 at 8PM EST.
I read this as the 5th day of the 20th month, 2011. Then may 20th, 2011. Am I correct in assuming this is May 11th, 2020?
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.