Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547719 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5450 on: April 29, 2020, 06:07:47 am »
+2

Just to say I've revised my entry:

Community Farm - Project, $5 cost.
When you buy a card, choose one: discard a card for +1 Villager; or spend an unused Action for +1 Coffers; or pay $1 to gain a Horse.
Resource conversion. Triggering on buys looked like the best time to work, otherwise pay $1 for a Horse was a bit strong.

I guess I was looking for first impressions with Night Market. It would either be elegant or boring, and it seems like it's boring (0 upvotes). Compared to this new entry it's boring to me too, so there we are.

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: April 29, 2020, 09:54:12 am »
+1

Circus
$3 Action

+1 Action
Gain a horse.
The next time you play a horse this turn, +$1

---

A $3 peddler with a slow set up and self-synergy should be fine.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 11:51:21 am by artless »

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: April 29, 2020, 10:31:12 am »
+1

Split pile - Racetrack/Abbatoir
---------------
Racetrack
Action
$3

+$2
Reveal a card from your hand, putting it onto your deck. If you revealed an...
Horse, +1 Coffer.
Treasure card, gain a Horse onto your deck.
Victory card, gain a Silver onto your deck.
---------------
Abbatoir
Action
$5

+2 Cards
You may trash up to 2 cards from your hand. For each Horse you trash, +1 VP and +$1.
---------------
Take a trip to the races! If you want a piece of the action, you can buy a Horse for yourself, and if it wends its way to Victory you could win big!

Just... don't ask what happens to the racehorses afterward. You're happier not knowing.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:34:35 pm by BlueHairedMeerkat »

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: April 29, 2020, 10:43:14 am »

A $3 market with a slow set up should be fine.

You would consider this a Peddler (variant). Market has a +buy and that is the main reason to buy it. (I don't try to be a smartass, I think it is good to know.)

It's a cool card. Similar to Merchant, but it gives you what you need to trigger the money effect. But of course not to hand, so you get a higher chance to connect it, if you have multiple copies of Circus. I like that.

The idea of a short Traveller line with a final card that is a one-shot, is a unique idea and the returning fits well into the Horse. But at the current state Liberated Herd is broken. The effect is just way too strong, especially as you get it so quick. And what is even worse is that the second player who gets to the point where he can play it will get little to nothing. This shapes the game in a very unfun way, as it involves a lot of luck to get to play it first.

I would suggest to make it "gain x Horses", which removes both problems. Going with my gut, I would say something like 7 would appropiate.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: April 29, 2020, 08:06:28 pm »

Regarding my cards above...

The idea of a short Traveller line with a final card that is a one-shot, is a unique idea and the returning fits well into the Horse. But at the current state Liberated Herd is broken. The effect is just way too strong, especially as you get it so quick. And what is even worse is that the second player who gets to the point where he can play it will get little to nothing. This shapes the game in a very unfun way, as it involves a lot of luck to get to play it first.

I would suggest to make it "gain x Horses", which removes both problems. Going with my gut, I would say something like 7 would appropiate.

I am fond of the idea of Gain all horses but I agree it seems too easy to get to, I am thinking I will add an extra step to the traveller line. Escaped Foal will stay the same, then there can be a Evasive Colt ("+2 cards, -2 cards, +1 action", so slightly weaker than a Horse) Wild Brumby will get better ("+2 cards, Trash 2 cards in your hand, +1 Action") and then Liberated herd. I think if you are behind in playing the chain then it would be wise to hold on to Wild Brumby for a turn (not exchange it) so that when the horse come back you can free them. This only makes sense to do if Wild Brumby is a good enough card and being a trasher when they might be rare would make that so.
What makes this interesting to time for me is that having a deck of horses is not game winning unless you have a good fat deck to draw. This line doesn't get you that so you need to spend turns getting it elsewhere, including multiples buys to pick up another escaped foal sometime.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: May 01, 2020, 02:23:49 am »
+2

The card I really wanted to submit this week is called Horse F***er (you know, Horse Farmer!). Since I couldn’t, I kept it simple.

Edit #1: lowered cost from $5 to $4.
Edit #2: non-substantive edit to fix a typo.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 01:15:37 am by spheremonk »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: May 01, 2020, 06:13:32 am »
+1

NoMoreFun had the very same idea and I think that this is more of a $4 than a $5. Gain a Horse is very similar to +1 Card but in the case of Apprentice I think you more often than not prefer to draw the cards immediately.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 06:30:27 am by segura »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #5457 on: May 01, 2020, 06:30:20 am »

NoMoreFun had the very same idea and I think that this is more of a $5 than a $4. Gain a Horse is very similar to +1 Card but in the case of Apprentice I think you more often than not prefer to draw the cards immediately.

I don't care if anyone enters card ideas similar to anything I've ever posted (including in this thread).

It's probably better than Research (which really isn't a good card), but it would be worse than a version of Research that didn't set aside cards from your deck and didn't stay in play. It's definitely not as good as Apprentice (though trashing a Horse for 3 Horses would be nice sometimes).

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5458 on: May 01, 2020, 10:14:50 am »
+1

I'm changing my entry again - typing up yall's entries for the trello board gave me a better idea (revised version)

Badlands • $5 • Action - Attack - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn: +2 Cards. Gain 2 Horses.
-
While this is in play, when another player plays a Horse, instead of following its instructions, they get +1 Card, +1 Action, and return the Horse to its pile.

(old version):

In response to mad4math's suggestion:

Revised version
Farrier (name taken I know but...)
[/size]$6 Action
[/size]Gain 3 horses, then topdeck one and Exile one (in that order)

I'd break this out to individual cases, just to be clear and reinforce the notion that Exiling is not Gaining (and also topdeck is not a keyword)
so like

Gain a Horse.
Gain a Horse to the top of your deck.
Exile a Horse.

You visit the Tack Shop to get equipment that makes your Horses better. Or you gain a horse to use this equipment on. (this is still a work in progress*, but I wanted to get some feedback early on, especially since there are a few artifacts):

* also, card images will be added to this post

Tack Shop - Action - $5
+1 Action
+1 Card
Choose one: Exile this to take the Saddle, Reins, or Stirrups; or gain a Horse to your deck.

Saddle - Artifact
The first time you would return a horse to its pile this turn, leave it in play instead.

Stirrups - Artifact
The first time you play a horse this turn, +1 Card.

Reins - Artifact
During your turns, Horses are also Reserve cards that read: +1 Card, +1 Action, put this on your Tavern mat. You may call this for +1 Card, return this to its pile.

Notes / Questions:
• I'm a little worried about the cantrip horse gainer, so that part may have to change. Maybe you always exile it?
• Each piece of Tack makes your horses stronger: Saddle lets you "tame" one horse and keep it around; Stirrups let you speed up a horse and get an extra card; and Reins let you control your horses, making them more like +1 Card tokens.
• I'm not sure I love that two of them are for the first horse, while Reins is all horses. But making Reins only for one horse seemed week, and making the others for all horses too strong
• Saddle is worded as is (on return instead of on play) so that it can work with Reins
• Horses on your Tavern mat can only be called on your turns, because when it's not, they don't have the "you can call" text!
• Do you think 3 different types of Tack is good? I can imagine I can think of others, but it seems like too many to "compete" over.

I'd change Reins to give a (non-competitive) state for the remainder of the game something like

Reins • Artifact
During your turns, Horses are also Reserve cards that read: "+1 Card, +1 Action, Put this on your Tavern Mat." If you don't have "Tame", take "Tame"

Tame • State
Horses on your tavern mat can be called on your turn for +1 Card and return it to its pile

That way you don't have orphaned horses when someone steals the reins away from you, reducing the amount of feelsbadness when this is in play. Tame would have 6 copies, one per player (like Deluded or whatever).

Also three types of tack might be a bit much - if I'd cut one, it's either Reins (for the complexity) or Stirrups (since it's the least likely to cause contention)

Split pile - Farmstead/Abbatoir
---------------
Racetrack
Action
$3

+$2
Reveal a card from your hand, putting it onto your deck. If you revealed an...
Horse, +1 Coffer.
Treasure card, gain a Horse onto your deck.
Victory card, gain a Silver onto your deck.
---------------
Abbatoir
Action
$5

+2 Cards
You may trash up to 2 cards from your hand. For each Horse you trash, +1 VP and +$1.
---------------
Take a trip to the races! If you want a piece of the action, you can buy a Horse for yourself, and if it wends its way to Victory you could win big!

Just... don't ask what happens to the racehorses afterward. You're happier not knowing.

Farmstead? or Racetrack?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 10:21:53 am by spineflu »

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: May 01, 2020, 11:26:42 am »

NoMoreFun had the very same idea and I think that this is more of a $4 than a $5. Gain a Horse is very similar to +1 Card but in the case of Apprentice I think you more often than not prefer to draw the cards immediately.

Thanks for the help. I went back-and-forth on $4/$5 before I submitted. Though, of course, Apprentice is what I was thinking of, you are certainly correct that Apprentice is better in more situations (including most engines). Keeping it simple, and not wanting to jump into the "Horses to your hand" quagmire, do you think it fits better into a price category if I either cantrip it at $5 (adding +1 Card) or remove the +1 Action at $4? Or a I overthinking, and is it simply best as-is at $4?

I don't care if anyone enters card ideas similar to anything I've ever posted (including in this thread).

It's probably better than Research (which really isn't a good card), but it would be worse than a version of Research that didn't set aside cards from your deck and didn't stay in play. It's definitely not as good as Apprentice (though trashing a Horse for 3 Horses would be nice sometimes).

Thanks for the latitude and your additional thoughts on price. I tried to flip through the thread, since my card seemed like something that might have already been submitted. I’m sorry I missed your entry and don’t want to step on toes. If you change your mind, I would be happy to delete my entry (though that might force me back to Horse F***er).

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5460 on: May 01, 2020, 12:35:16 pm »
+1

Farmstead? or Racetrack?

Good spot, thanks!

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5461 on: May 01, 2020, 12:52:39 pm »

Thanks for the help. I went back-and-forth on $4/$5 before I submitted. Though, of course, Apprentice is what I was thinking of, you are certainly correct that Apprentice is better in more situations (including most engines). Keeping it simple, and not wanting to jump into the "Horses to your hand" quagmire, do you think it fits better into a price category if I either cantrip it at $5 (adding +1 Card) or remove the +1 Action at $4? Or a I overthinking, and is it simply best as-is at $4?
As cantrip it is too good. Compare it with Upgrade in the case of an Estate: instead of 1 Silver you get 2 Horses (Upgrade could achieve the same if Experiment is in the Kingdom).

Adding +1 Card to non-terminals usually implies a strong increase of the power level. For example Cellar as a cantrip would be a $5 and Candlestick Maker would even be a $6.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: May 01, 2020, 02:03:40 pm »
+1

Gain 2 Horses. At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy, +$1
-
While this is in play, when another player plays a Horse, instead of following its instructions, they choose two: +1 Card; +1 Action; or +$1 (The choices may be the same); then return that Horse to its pile.

I feel like this won't often be bought. The non-attack portion doesn't seem very appealing compared to most other $5 cards. On many boards, this will be the only Horse gainer, so the attack won't do anything unless your opponent buys a Badlands, which they probably won't because the non-attack part of the card is weak. It also has a thing where you might want to be attacked by it if Horse-Necropolis from Badlands is the only way to get + Actions on the board.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: May 01, 2020, 02:29:05 pm »

Gain 2 Horses. At the start of your next turn, +1 Buy, +$1
-
While this is in play, when another player plays a Horse, instead of following its instructions, they choose two: +1 Card; +1 Action; or +$1 (The choices may be the same); then return that Horse to its pile.

I feel like this won't often be bought. The non-attack portion doesn't seem very appealing compared to most other $5 cards. On many boards, this will be the only Horse gainer, so the attack won't do anything unless your opponent buys a Badlands, which they probably won't because the non-attack part of the card is weak. It also has a thing where you might want to be attacked by it if Horse-Necropolis from Badlands is the only way to get + Actions on the board.

Better at $3 with no +buy, like enchantress? but yeah i revised it to make it a little more attractive.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 03:19:21 pm by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: May 01, 2020, 04:26:18 pm »
+1

I'm changing my entry again - typing up yall's entries for the trello board gave me a better idea (revised version)

-
While this is in play, when another player plays a Horse, instead of following its instructions, they choose two: +1 Card; +1 Action; or +$1 (The choices must be different); then return that Horse to its pile.
Bur or no buy, it is basically a Wharf so everybody will go for it, there will always be copies in play, Horses will never do anything.

So absent action density sensitive cards like Golem or Scrying Pool, this will play very similarly to a Wharf without Buys. Which is totally OK, Wharf is after all crazily overpowered. But you could achieve the same thing in a far more straightforward fashion.

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: May 02, 2020, 04:54:38 pm »
+1

-
While this is in play, when another player plays a Horse, instead of following its instructions, they choose two: +1 Card; +1 Action; or +$1 (The choices must be different); then return that Horse to its pile.
Bur or no buy, it is basically a Wharf so everybody will go for it, there will always be copies in play, Horses will never do anything.

So absent action density sensitive cards like Golem or Scrying Pool, this will play very similarly to a Wharf without Buys. Which is totally OK, Wharf is after all crazily overpowered. But you could achieve the same thing in a far more straightforward fashion.

But unlike Wharf, you absolutely have to contest this to prevent your opponent from drawing a total of six cards from a single $5 card, in addition to being attacked. So Badlands should be nerfed or cost at least $6 IMO.

Supernova888

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Supernova888
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: May 02, 2020, 06:32:01 pm »
+2

Here's my entry, a standard Horse-gainer that gives you a way to use your horses without losing them (for a slight nerf to your hand).

Jockey • $3 • Action - Reaction
Gain 2 Horses.
-
When you play a Horse, before returning it to its pile, you may reveal this from your hand and discard a card to keep it in play.

Supernova888

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: May 02, 2020, 06:59:49 pm »
+1

-

But unlike Wharf, you absolutely have to contest this to prevent your opponent from drawing a total of six cards from a single $5 card, in addition to being attacked. So Badlands should be nerfed or cost at least $6 IMO.

Making the Horses a choice seems unnecessarily wordy. Plus you get major tracking issues if you pick +$1 and then return it to the Horses pile. While I suppose it technically makes Horses even worse without the choice, +1 Card +1 Action would be much simpler.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: May 02, 2020, 07:40:56 pm »

You visit the Tack Shop to get equipment that makes your Horses better. Or you gain a horse to use this equipment on. (this is still a work in progress*, but I wanted to get some feedback early on, especially since there are a few artifacts):

* also, card images will be added to this post

Tack Shop - Action - $5
+1 Action
+1 Card
Choose one: Exile this to take the Saddle, Reins, or Stirrups; or gain a Horse to your deck.

Saddle - Artifact
The first time you would return a horse to its pile this turn, leave it in play instead.

Stirrups - Artifact
The first time you play a horse this turn, +1 Card.

Reins - Artifact
During your turns, Horses are also Reserve cards that read: +1 Card, +1 Action, put this on your Tavern mat. You may call this for +1 Card, return this to its pile.

Notes / Questions:
• I'm a little worried about the cantrip horse gainer, so that part may have to change. Maybe you always exile it?
• Each piece of Tack makes your horses stronger: Saddle lets you "tame" one horse and keep it around; Stirrups let you speed up a horse and get an extra card; and Reins let you control your horses, making them more like +1 Card tokens.
• I'm not sure I love that two of them are for the first horse, while Reins is all horses. But making Reins only for one horse seemed week, and making the others for all horses too strong
• Saddle is worded as is (on return instead of on play) so that it can work with Reins
• Horses on your Tavern mat can only be called on your turns, because when it's not, they don't have the "you can call" text!
• Do you think 3 different types of Tack is good? I can imagine I can think of others, but it seems like too many to "compete" over.

I'd change Reins to give a (non-competitive) state for the remainder of the game something like

Reins • Artifact
During your turns, Horses are also Reserve cards that read: "+1 Card, +1 Action, Put this on your Tavern Mat." If you don't have "Tame", take "Tame"

Tame • State
Horses on your tavern mat can be called on your turn for +1 Card and return it to its pile

That way you don't have orphaned horses when someone steals the reins away from you, reducing the amount of feelsbadness when this is in play. Tame would have 6 copies, one per player (like Deluded or whatever).

Also three types of tack might be a bit much - if I'd cut one, it's either Reins (for the complexity) or Stirrups (since it's the least likely to cause contention)

Thanks for the feedback! I completely missed that you could orphan horses if someone stole the reins. Which since the current design involves exiling tack shop seems especially bad (i.e. permanent).

I'm actually thinking that maybe instead of artifacts, all 3 should be states (I'll need some new names*). So you empower your horses for the rest of the game, and so can other players.  If so, I'll have to weaken Tack Shop for sure. Maybe removing the on deck gaining** and also maybe / maybe not the +1 Card?

* Saddled instead of Saddle lets you keep the Horse, Corralled instead of Reins lets you reserve the horse, and Trained instead of Reins, lets you ride the horse further (i.e. +1 Card). Open to other ideas for naming, please. (I also might rename Tack Shop them to Stablehand or Equerry since now the states wouldn't all be tack.)

** I was likely going to do this anyone, as 2 Tack Shops together, are at least as good as 2 labs.

I would like to keep at 3 (maybe even add a 4th?) as this way its more interesting to decision to exile. i.e if you strengthen your horses more, you risk losing these forever which could be your only source of horses.

Anyway lots of details to parse over, but I wanted to see what you and the forum thought about having these be States instead?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 05:18:54 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: May 02, 2020, 08:19:20 pm »

24 hour warning

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: May 02, 2020, 08:48:04 pm »
+2

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: May 02, 2020, 10:53:24 pm »

-

Making the Horses a choice seems unnecessarily wordy. Plus you get major tracking issues if you pick +$1 and then return it to the Horses pile. While I suppose it technically makes Horses even worse without the choice, +1 Card +1 Action would be much simpler.
there are no such tracking issues with spoils

Supernova888

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: May 03, 2020, 02:57:35 am »
+1

-

there are no such tracking issues with spoils

That's because Spoils doesn't give you a choice, and you often play your spoils all at once. The problem with having cards that give you +$ that move is that people usually count up their money produced after their action phase. Sure, vault and storehouse have variable money, but they stay in play so you have a trigger to remember how much you made.

I didn't even think about this, but this is compounded by the fact that +1 Action can NOT be a part of the effect if you choose +1 Card +$1. Having a card that returns immediately that gives you no actions will be confusing because if you're trying to remember how many actions you have during a large turn, it will be very easy to miss the fact that you played a nerfed Horse there.

Either of these situations might be suboptimal but okay if they were consistent, however my argument that it's a major tracking issue because of the choice. Not only do you have to remember that you played that horse and had something vital changed there, you have to remember what changed - two things you want to avoid about hard-to-track cards put together.

Also, sorry - while I'm nitpicking, if I understand it correctly, the new wording as of Menagerie would be "choose 2 different things" rather than "Choose two [...] (the choices must be different)."

(Btw, I don't mean to just be negative about your card. The concept at its core is really cool! There are just a lot of moving parts imo.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 02:59:52 am by Supernova888 »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: May 03, 2020, 03:04:00 am »

Here's my entry, a standard Horse-gainer that gives you a way to use your horses without losing them (for a slight nerf to your hand).

Gain 2 Horses.
-
When you play a Horse, before returning it to its pile, you may reveal this from your hand and discard a card to keep it in play.
I like this a lot. Fugitives are strong but do not net draw, so Jockey cannot become too crazy.

Supernova888

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: May 03, 2020, 03:51:52 am »

Gain 2 Horses.
-
I like this a lot. Fugitives are strong but do not net draw, so Jockey cannot become too crazy.

Thanks so much!! That balance was my goal.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.587 seconds with 21 queries.