Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1558461 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5425 on: April 26, 2020, 06:50:54 pm »
+1

Hey, I can use the card I thought of too late for last week's contest:
(I might replace Destrier with this in my games.)

Stallion
$7* - Action
+2 Cards.
+1 Action.
Gain a Horse.
-
In games using this, at the start of your buy phase, you may reveal and discard the top three cards of your deck. This turn, this costs $1 less for each treasure card revealed.
EDIT: wording tweaked slightly.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 10:32:09 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: April 26, 2020, 07:43:30 pm »

Farrier (Treasure, $5)

+$2
+1 Buy
------
While this is in play, when you buy a card, gain a Horse.

Seems very OP. It's nearly strictly better than grand market and way better than livery, which is already pretty busted on the right board. This card makes up for livery's main two weaknesses (terminal and lack of +buy) making it spammable and super strong on every board.

I would suggest maybe make it produce $1 instead of $2 and raise the price to $6.

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: April 26, 2020, 08:02:02 pm »

Farrier (name taken I know but..)
$6 Action
Gain 3 horses to your hand
It's like a Smithy, but for later, unless you have a village.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: April 26, 2020, 09:00:23 pm »

$6 Action
I think Aquila warned against Horse gaining to hand in his guide, because it has the same problems as +1 Card tokens; you would just always use them immediately if you could. That said, this is a neat idea imo.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: April 26, 2020, 09:04:19 pm »

$6 Action
I think Aquila warned against Horse gaining to hand in his guide, because it has the same problems as +1 Card tokens; you would just always use them immediately if you could. That said, this is a neat idea imo.

It's more than a smithy, it's a double smithy. If you have an action left, it is +6 cards effectively, which is pretty OP. I think 2 instead of 3 is probably more balanced.

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5430 on: April 26, 2020, 09:47:48 pm »

In response to mad4math's suggestion:

Revised version
Farrier (name taken I know but...)
[/size]$6 Action
[/size]Gain 3 horses, then topdeck one and Exile one (in that order)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: April 26, 2020, 09:52:55 pm »

Breeder
Action - $3
+$2
Gain a Horse, then reveal your hand. Gain a Horse per Horse revealed

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +738
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: April 27, 2020, 12:09:04 am »
+4

[This has been modified in both functionality (States rather than Artifacts) and names, so please see that post for my official entry]

You visit the Tack Shop to get equipment that makes your Horses better. Or you gain a horse to use this equipment on. (this is still a work in progress*, but I wanted to get some feedback early on, especially since there are a few artifacts):

* also, card images will be added to this post

Tack Shop - Action - $5
+1 Action
+1 Card
Choose one: Exile this to take the Saddle, Reins, or Stirrups; or gain a Horse to your deck.

Saddle - Artifact
The first time you would return a horse to its pile this turn, leave it in play instead.

Stirrups - Artifact
The first time you play a horse this turn, +1 Card.

Reins - Artifact
During your turns, Horses are also Reserve cards that read: +1 Card, +1 Action, put this on your Tavern mat. You may call this for +1 Card, return this to its pile.

Notes / Questions:
• I'm a little worried about the cantrip horse gainer, so that part may have to change. Maybe you always exile it?
• Each piece of Tack makes your horses stronger: Saddle lets you "tame" one horse and keep it around; Stirrups let you speed up a horse and get an extra card; and Reins let you control your horses, making them more like +1 Card tokens.
• I'm not sure I love that two of them are for the first horse, while Reins is all horses. But making Reins only for one horse seemed week, and making the others for all horses too strong
• Saddle is worded as is (on return instead of on play) so that it can work with Reins
• Horses on your Tavern mat can only be called on your turns, because when it's not, they don't have the "you can call" text!
• Do you think 3 different types of Tack is good? I can imagine I can think of others, but it seems like too many to "compete" over.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 04:21:13 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: April 27, 2020, 04:36:27 am »
+1

$6 Action
Gain 3 Horses to your hand
So gaining horses to hand with a terminal Action is like a draw card needing another Action to unlock this turn (if you then made the player reveal and return all his horses in hand at Clean-up, it would be just this and no later effect; could be quite cool, or swingy. Barbarossa's card could be good if gaining 2 horses; 2 or 4 cards now if an extra Action, otherwise the horses for later). If it were non-terminal there would be almost no point to the horses. So I've now specified non-terminal to the guide, thanks for helping me see that mistake.

My entry:
Community Farm - Project, $5 cost.
When you buy a card, choose one: discard a card for +1 Villager; or spend an unused Action for +1 Coffers; or pay $1 to gain a Horse.
Resource conversion. Triggering on buys looked like the best time to work, otherwise pay $1 for a Horse was a bit strong.

Former entry:
Night Market - Night, $5 cost.
+1 Coffers
+1 Villager

Gain a Horse.
-
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile).
Slow starting Bazaar sped up a bit with gain to hand, which may not be needed. It's either elegant or boring; I tried to remove the boring with my new entry.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 05:58:28 am by Aquila »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1433
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: April 27, 2020, 09:22:03 am »

It is a Bazaar variant and likely too good.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: April 27, 2020, 10:11:00 am »

I think it's probably delayed enough that it's balanced. It doesn't benefit you at all until the turn after you play it.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: April 27, 2020, 10:21:19 am »
+4

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5437 on: April 27, 2020, 10:31:15 am »
+3

Grand Laboratory
A Lab that can give you more Labs or function as a Workshop. Therefore you pay a higher price, I like that concept. Though I think, it is too easy to get with Workshop/Remodel variants. I would like it without the cost reduction, but that can gain another Grand Laboratory (which then would not fit the contest anymore). Might be a matter of taste. I like it anyway.

Yay baby, thank you very much for putting my card as a finalist! It is a little easy to nab a lab with a Workshop or its variants, but at least Grand Laboratory’s cost being down during one’s Action phase makes it less attractive for Remodel cards (can’t turn a Grand Laboratory into a Province, for instance).

Now, onto the contest at hand:

So uuuh I had a bunch of pre-made cards dealing with Horses prior to this week’s challenge. I really love the new Horse mechanism and went over my head with ‘em. So now I gotta pick only one of them to submit it here. However, it made me sad to leave the others behind. Soooo I kinda thought of Castles and well, I decided to do something akin to that. So here’s what I got:

I’m probably shooting myself in the foot here. This many cards means a higher chance to have off-balance stuff. And it very much gives a “this is too much” vibe. Moreover, I personally usually prefer modest and well-balanced cards over overly intricate stuff that ends up being somewhat messy. This is a prime example of quantity over quality here.
That being said, I think the idea of a Castle-like Horse line was too good to pass. Some of them Stallions, I’m not so sure about. Mainly Appaloosa and Gypsy Vanner. Balancing stuff correctly is kinda hard without outside perspective. So if you guys would like to point obvious stuff that went straight over my head with these Stallions, please do tell. I'd like to add that this was not tested yet.

Source for the horse breeds.

Edit: Played with this with me soulmate. I was nervous about this, but this played better than I anticipated. All Stallions seemed to interact nicely with each other and I didn't really see anything overly broken upfront. In that game, I had Clydesdale, Appaloosa and Paint Horse and she had Shetland Pony, Gypsy Vanner, Mustang and Friesian. We both managed to snatch an Arabian Horse, both worth 6 VP at the end of the game (turns out we kept less Horses than we imagined). Shetland Pony did seem a lil' strong, but in a very okay-ish kinda way.

There is a very sly play where you can deny your opponent's Arabian Horse by buying their copy before they get a chance to get to it, trashing it afterwards with, say, Clydesdale or Appaloosa. Or even with a Friesian for an extra 5 Horses! That way, you can keep your Arabian Horse's points and your opponent gets nothing. Though it is a 9$ investment. It's an expensive way of denying VPs, but it's fun regardless. It's a feature, not a bug!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:50:56 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1353
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5438 on: April 27, 2020, 11:26:57 am »

edit: withdrawn. See downthread.

changing up my entry a little - realized i can make the discard attack more punishing and add more horses.

Horde • $6+ • Action - Attack
+$3
When you buy, play, or trash this, each other player discards down to 2 cards in hand and gains a Horse to their hand.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpay, gain a Horse.

I'm keeping this at $6 bc it leans into the "when you [...] trash this" portion for remodeling into provinces
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:11:36 am by spineflu »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: April 27, 2020, 12:12:06 pm »

Farrier (Treasure, $5)

+$2
+1 Buy
------

Seems very OP. It's nearly strictly better than grand market and way better than livery, which is already pretty busted on the right board. This card makes up for livery's main two weaknesses (terminal and lack of +buy) making it spammable and super strong on every board.

I would suggest maybe make it produce $1 instead of $2 and raise the price to $6.

I like the idea of a Treasure costing $6 yet only producing $1, so I will make that change, thanks! Hopefully it’s now more balanced.

Farrier (Treasure, $6)

+$1
+1 Buy
------

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: April 27, 2020, 01:19:59 pm »

I think it's probably delayed enough that it's balanced. It doesn't benefit you at all until the turn after you play it.
I think that the tokens (Horses are roughly similar in strength to drawing a card) more than make up for them being delayed. The card can never be drawn dead, unlike Durations it does not stay out and we know from Nocturne and Renaissance the strength of consistency that tokens or delayed effects provide.

Ii is nothing crazy though. What makes the card overpowered is the hand-gaining. Note that the on-gain stuff is of roughly similar strength as Den of Sins (I'd argue that it is slightly better) but without any of the Duration downsides (staying out, missing shuffles, being only a "half-card" in deck-drawing engines).

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: April 27, 2020, 01:21:45 pm »

This has to cost $4. Otherwise opening double Forest Hag will occur too often.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: April 27, 2020, 01:28:36 pm »

Grand Laboratory
A Lab that can give you more Labs or function as a Workshop. Therefore you pay a higher price, I like that concept. Though I think, it is too easy to get with Workshop/Remodel variants. I would like it without the cost reduction, but that can gain another Grand Laboratory (which then would not fit the contest anymore). Might be a matter of taste. I like it anyway.

Yay baby, thank you very much for putting my card as a finalist! It is a little easy to nab a lab with a Workshop or its variants, but at least Grand Laboratory’s cost being down during one’s Action phase makes it less attractive for Remodel cards (can’t turn a Grand Laboratory into a Province, for instance).

Now, onto the contest at hand:

So uuuh I had a bunch of pre-made cards dealing with Horses prior to this week’s challenge. I really love the new Horse mechanism and went over my head with ‘em. So now I gotta pick only one of them to submit it here. However, it made me sad to leave the others behind. Soooo I kinda thought of Castles and well, I decided to do something akin to that. So here’s what I got:

I’m probably shooting myself in the foot here. This many cards means a higher chance to have off-balance stuff. And it very much gives a “this is too much” vibe. Moreover, I personally usually prefer modest and well-balanced cards over overly intricate stuff that ends up being somewhat messy. This is a prime example of quantity over quality here.
That being said, I think the idea of a Castle-like Horse line was too good to pass. Some of them Stallions, I’m not so sure about. Mainly Appaloosa and Gypsy Vanner. Balancing stuff correctly is kinda hard without outside perspective. So if you guys would like to point obvious stuff that went straight over my head with these Stallions, please do tell. I'd like to add that this was not tested yet.

Source for the horse breeds.
This is plain beautiful.
Did you make Shetland Pony intentionally so strong (basically, Smithy) to bootstrap the whole thing respectively to prevent a stalemate situation in Kingdoms without trashers (nobody wants to go for the first Stallion lest the next player gains the only trasher in the Kingdom, Clydesdale)?
On the other hand, as draw power is a substitute for trashing and as the trashing power of that card is weak, it is probably nothing to worry about (Dame Anna being random is far worse and definitely does screw up games).

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5443 on: April 27, 2020, 02:03:12 pm »

This is plain beautiful.
Did you make Shetland Pony intentionally so strong (basically, Smithy) to bootstrap the whole thing respectively to prevent a stalemate situation in Kingdoms without trashers (nobody wants to go for the first Stallion lest the next player gains the only trasher in the Kingdom, Clydesdale)?
On the other hand, as draw power is a substitute for trashing and as the trashing power of that card is weak, it is probably nothing to worry about (Dame Anna being random is far worse and definitely does screw up games).

At first, Shetland Pony simply said "Gain a Horse to your hand". I felt confident that this was an okay card. Then I read this thread and saw the warnings about gaining Horses to your hand. So I had to change it. I tried to base it off those little cards that does +2 Cards plus something else, like Moat or Sheepdog. Here, the something else is gaining a Horse. Again, havin' a hard time determining whether this is overpowered or not. :S
Bottom text

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: April 27, 2020, 07:06:29 pm »
+1

Bridle Craftsman - $4 - Action
+2 Cards

If you have played a Horse this turn, +1 Action. Otherwise, gain a Horse.

I am submitting the one I submitted two contests ago. I still like it, and didn't receive any feedback to change it, so it's the exact same. I am definitely open to feedback, still.

I actually debated putting the +2 cards at the end, to make it more difficult to activate. But then I realized that actually the math works out that it's still fairly difficult to activate. And flooding your deck with Bridle Craftsman to help line them up with horses actually can work against you significantly since it's hard to have a functioning deck full of moats.

I also debated having you reveal a horse from hand to activate it. But one of the cool things about this is it's either on or off. I like that the turn you have played a horse, you can't get any more horses from Bridle Craftsman, so next turn it might be harder to activate them again. Then, every horse you play is now less of a chance to activate next turn. But if you don't play a horse, it's kind of like one of your Bridle Craftsman just became a cantrip. Not very useful. I like this complexity and trade off.

So yeah, the exact same card.

MrHiTech

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrHiTech
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #5445 on: April 27, 2020, 09:02:26 pm »
+2

Mail system ($5+, Action)
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
-
When you buy this, you may overpay up to $3 for it. For each $1 you overpaid, gain a Horse.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: April 28, 2020, 12:44:01 am »
+1

I see your Gain X horses and I raise...

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: April 28, 2020, 07:20:38 am »
+5

Horse Meadow - $5 - Project
At the end of each of your turns Exile a Horse. When you buy a Victory Card, discard your Exiled Horses.

It makes your deck more reliable while greening and even gives a boost on the first Victory card you buy. It can also set up one power turn, similar to Madman, if that is what your looking for.
The earlier you get it, the more you get from the benefit. But it does not give you immediate benefit and you could instead buy a $5 card, that improves your deck right away.
Horse Meadow gets a boost, when there is another Horse gainer, as you get way better access to the Exiled Horses.

And don't ingore the theme there: You have those Horses around, but you can only put them somewhere, when you have a piece of land. If you ignore theme, it will lose you games ;)

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: April 28, 2020, 02:57:34 pm »
+1

Farrier — ($5)(Action)
Choose one: +3 Cards; or +1 Action, and trash up to 2 cards from your hand.
-
When you gain or trash this, gain a Horse to your hand and take the Horseshoes.

Horseshoes — (Artifact)
Once per turn, you may put this on a Horse you play; don’t return that Horse to its pile.

Now some backstory: A farrier makes and fastens horseshoes. He was very similar to a blacksmith, and sometimes both roles were held by the same person (hence +3 Cards). The farrier also cared for the health of a horse’s legs and hooves, making him akin to a veterinarian (hence the trash cards [think Doctor]).

Farrier works well with itself. If you have two in hand, you can use the first Farrier to non-terminally trash the second. That will gain you a Horse to hand, which you can play and keep.

Edit: I did not realize the name ‘Farrier’ had already been taken, twice (I specifically did not look at posts until I came up with my submission because I did lot want to be influenced). Same applies to the Artifact that keeps one Horse in your possession.  :-[
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 03:35:03 pm by Optimal_Inefficiency »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: April 28, 2020, 07:29:26 pm »
+4

Stable Master
Types: Action
Cost: $6
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck and put them into your hand. Gain a Horse for each Action card revealed.
Hunting Grounds variant with a draw that modulates from 3 to 6-ish based upon how many Actions it draws.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 22 queries.