Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546964 times)

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5275 on: April 05, 2020, 12:02:07 pm »

Which actually is another reason it’s not as strong as Fugitive and doesn’t matter if it’s cheap.. because only the first one you play each turn is a Fugitive... the rest are cantrips that do nothing at all.
You cannot make unconditional statements about Climber. One Climber could lead to several Fugitive effects in a row, one Climber could be a mere cantrip, one Climber could re-take the Rope after you were forced to return it in the very same turn.

The key question is rather: how often will one Climber in your deck allow you to sift on average? I think it is larger than one (=1 would suffice for a price of $5 as well), hence a price of $5.
The only counterargument I see is that Climber underperforms in junky decks, i.e. at the very moment when you need a sifter most.
I think the pure factor of how variable and somewhat inconsistent it is as a sifter means it shouldn't have a price point of 5, and is justified in being less, although it is definitely undercosted.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: April 05, 2020, 12:28:55 pm »

Which actually is another reason it’s not as strong as Fugitive and doesn’t matter if it’s cheap.. because only the first one you play each turn is a Fugitive... the rest are cantrips that do nothing at all.
You cannot make unconditional statements about Climber. One Climber could lead to several Fugitive effects in a row, one Climber could be a mere cantrip, one Climber could re-take the Rope after you were forced to return it in the very same turn.

The key question is rather: how often will one Climber in your deck allow you to sift on average? I think it is larger than one (=1 would suffice for a price of $5 as well), hence a price of $5.
The only counterargument I see is that Climber underperforms in junky decks, i.e. at the very moment when you need a sifter most.
I think the pure factor of how variable and somewhat inconsistent it is as a sifter means it shouldn't have a price point of 5, and is justified in being less, although it is definitely undercosted.
Of course the problem of making this more expensive is that the likelihood of the Fugitive effect occuring decreases. So at a price of $2 it is undercosted and should be a $5 ... but at $5 the effect never occurs so it is underpowered.
I don't wanna diss the card but due to this feedback effect between price and power level, I don't think that the idea is salvagable. Of course I could be wrong and this might totally work at $3 or $4.

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: April 05, 2020, 02:37:39 pm »
+1

I'm changing my entry a little, to simplify the wording. It now doesn't set itself aside like Encampment does because it doesn't really need to and that just makes it more confusing, and it doesn't go to your hand anymore because it already has an on-gain, and it isn't good to have two on-gain effects.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: April 06, 2020, 01:35:47 am »
+1

Whoever wins really should propose the following contest:

Create a card-shaped object or objects that would qualify for five prior Weekly Design Contests.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: April 06, 2020, 01:57:59 am »

Of course the problem of making this more expensive is that the likelihood of the Fugitive effect occuring decreases. So at a price of $2 it is undercosted and should be a $5 ... but at $5 the effect never occurs so it is underpowered.
I don't wanna diss the card but due to this feedback effect between price and power level, I don't think that the idea is salvagable. Of course I could be wrong and this might totally work at $3 or $4.
Just take the +1 Card off the Climber. That way you have to activate its ability twice in order to get a fugitive effect.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5280 on: April 06, 2020, 02:16:08 am »

Just take the +1 Card off the Climber. That way you have to activate its ability twice in order to get a fugitive effect.

That would be a first-turn Dungeon effect, not a Fugitive effect, because you'd have to discard two cards.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

curtis

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: April 06, 2020, 03:22:13 pm »

That would be a first-turn Dungeon effect, not a Fugitive effect, because you'd have to discard two cards.
What about +1 action, +1 card, discard one card, take the rope? Then it's almost always a first-turn dungeon (that costs less) and has the chance to be a full warehouse+. The +1/-1 card fits with the role of the card too, but idk about the theme of it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:24:06 pm by curtis »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: April 06, 2020, 09:46:10 pm »
+5

Lady
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Buy, +$1. If you have unused Actions (Actions, not Action cards), +1 Card. Otherwise, +1 Action.
A Market-. She always gives you the +1 Buy and +$1, but gives either the +1 Card or the +1 Action based on whether or not you already have the +action to use the Actions you will inevitably draw.  If +buys are your need, Lady can get them to you non-terminally.  If +actions are plentiful, Lady turns them into +card and +$ cheaply.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: April 06, 2020, 11:56:00 pm »
+3

Deadline is sometime tomorrow

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: April 08, 2020, 08:27:48 am »
+6

Augur by somekindoftony
An interesting take on +2 cards. I'm always worried about self-gaining cards leading to swingy games, but this one's non-terminal so that shouldn't be an issue most of the time. The on-gain seems like the strongest part. Sifting through 4 then drawing 2 is about as good as embassy, and the first time you buy it it's is almost as good as night watchman. You don't want to fill your deck with these and that's an elegant downside, but IMO 4 card sifting is a little strong for a $2 card.

Naval Blockade by spheremonk
Embargo is kinda a crappy card, but making it an event means it's much easier to play with. I agree with your decision to add +Buy to the card, as otherwise this wouldn't get bought so often. Smuggles are needed to counterbalance people who spam this event, but at the same time reduces the effect from "gain a curse" to the more boring "spend $2 more per card". This is a big improvement over Embargo, but still not the most exciting card in the world.

Insurance by majiponi
I like silver gainers and this card counters junking and trashing attacks in a neat way. I know I'd have tons of fun if I managed to win a game because of this. The card does have an obvious downside though - if you buy this card the silver gaining is mandatory. It turns the card into a noob trap, which is a concern, but it's an interesting downside for players who know how to play.

Stud by NoMoreFun
The effect seems reasonable and at the right power level, and I really like how it requries card synergies to become good. I know Donald X didn't like $2 projects for being "auto buys", but this one seems docile enough to not cause issues (plus, it's not like vagrant and pearl diver aren't "auto buys on $2 hands" either). Pretty good card!

Turtle by mad4mathf
I think this card is too strong because of the words "any number". Village is $3 and gives you two actions, while this is $2 and gives you infinite. The downside is that your cards are set aside for a turn, halving your effective payload. With that said, I think this card has a great idea behind it. If it only let you set aside 2 actions (maybe 3) then I would be a big fan.

Diving School by ConMan
This card reminds me of City Gate and Silos, and I think it's a similar power level. The buy restriction does make it more interesting, but it also makes it way more expensive without +Buy. But if you do have +Buy, then the decision to buy this becomes uninteresting again. Haha, I dunno. It's alright, but I think City Gate and Silos covers enough ground in this area.

Bagpiper by grep
Bagpiper looks a lot like Soldier. The attack is intentionally weak, but I find the copper gaining unnecssary - "discard down to 4" would be my preference for the top. The bottom text is more interesting than the top albeit similar to Soldier. It seems nuts on a few boards - with Minion or Scrying Pool the card can easily push +$10 as a $2 non-terminal, which is busted.

Mule by mandioca15
This is like a weaker version of Diplomat. +2 cards at $2 is not a bad effect per se, but it seems overly hard to activate the +1 Action effect and doesn't work against "discard 1" attacks. I think it needs a buff.

Caver by Aquila
I love the simplicity here and think it's a perfect $2 card to play in an engine. BUT... there's a problem. This card is too good if drawn on turn 4. Getting +2 cards and +$2 on turn 4 can be a strong advantage on certain boards and I believe this overshadows Caver's use elsewhere. Maybe +2 Actions instead of +$2 would work better? That would be similar to Shanty Town in terms of power.

Rook by [TP] Inferno
Seems about as powerful as squire or hamlet, but the +2 Cards is a strong perk. Not all that exciting but not offensive either.

Lost Coins by Krush
This reminds me a lot of Mining Village. It feels like an obvious buy to me. If you have an extra $2 left over, just buy this and save the money for next turn. It's roughly equivalent to 2 coin tokens on gain, which is perhaps too strong for costing $2 and should instead cost $3 (or have a tweaked effect). But I still like the card a lot and would enjoy using it with Remodel.

Angel of Death by D782802859
Cursing everybody on gain is interesting, but it hurts yourself badly and I'm not sure if this effect is worth it. Most boards won't have a way to ensure your hand starts with a curse, meaning your Angel will return to the supply and be very sad. Making the Angel a laboratory-like action would be better - it's easier and more tactical to reveal curses that way.

Smithing Tools by X-tra
Really cool card. This little guy can draw a ton of cards if enough are in play, but I'm not sold on the player interaction bit. It seems like you'd want to play them regardless unless you didn't have enough +Actions to begin with. Personally, I'd prefer if this only counted your own Smithing Tools in play and leave the player interaction to controlling the split (like Fool's Gold). Good card nonetheless.

Town Charter by curtis
Cool card and it seems balanced, but it's very similar to Toil. To me, I'd rather play with Toil because it has more contrast with Villa, but this card's certainly alright.

Tally by LibraryAdventurer
Dunno if this was intended, but the strategy here is to use it every turn and keep your coppers out of your deck. If you open with a +Buy card on turn 1, you can do this every turn beginning on turn 2 and build extremely quickly from there. I think it's stronger than chapel, and maybe beats donate on some boards because you keep your buying power while simultaneously thinning. It's kinda cool for that reason and I'd love to play a few games with it, but I can't select it for being so powerful. P.S. I did the math and this+travelling fair alone drains provinces in 9 turns while also buying a duchy and estate

Rabbit by Rhodos
I love the top effect on a $2 card and like the design a lot, but the bottom text is too good for your opponents. It's a big enough penalty that if there's any other draw cards on the board you should use those instead of rabbit, and if rabbit is the only draw, you're probably better off skipping it. I can make a suggestion: give a villager instead of a coffer. Villagers aren't as dangerous to give to your opponent.

Cleaning Crew by grrgrrgrr
If you can play two of these per turn you get a cantrip trasher - that's cute! I guess it's a bit lucky if you line it up early on, but really you're better off waiting until you can draw deck before going for these. Besides the luck factor it's a nice card.

Sorcerer's Apprentice by mail-mi
A nice, decent $2 trasher, but I'm not sold on the bottom half. I don't think there are enough cards to activate it with and ironically it's bad against trashing attacks. I know you can react it with another copy of itself, but that doesn't seem reliable enough to shoot for.

Retreiver by scolapasta
Another reaction! This one seems easier to activate than Sorcerer's Apprentice because there's plenty of discarding effects in the game. The reaction is cute, but problematic. If you and your opponent open Retreiver/Cellar, and you line them up on turn 3/4 while your opponent doesn't, you're miles and miles ahead of them. The benefit to having this in hand with a discarder on turn 3 or 4 is too massive to be fair.

Shipyard by segura
It's the child of Cathedral and Sinister Plot! I suspect the game will be over long before the token points actually matter. In this regard I think Cathedral has a more relevant downside, but I do like the concept of this one.

Horse Thief by Optimal_Inefficiency
The debt effects are too weak. Tax itself is very weak, but Tax can be used instantly. Most players will simply use this for horses and only horse, which is fine, but still rather weak. To buff it, I'd suggest having only two choices: "+2 horses and add 2 debt to a pile; or remove all debt from a pile". Nice theme.

Nun by Gubump
A simple, inoffensive exiler. I'm sure it's a powerful card, though a bit slower than Bounty Hunter because it wrecks your spending power. Overall a good, albeit obvious design.

Climber by Freddy10
This one's a really clever and thematic take on sifting. A few have argued that it's too strong. I dunno about that, but I think it would be better at $3. That way, silver can't activate it so easily. I'm also not convinced it needs to use an artifact - you could probably phrase it to all be on one card. Good job with this one.

Oyster Farmer by spineflu
Hmm this one seems very weak in its current state and looks inferior compared to Border Guard. The idea is cute and I love money support but it needs to be much, much stronger to be worth buying over silver.

Sanctum by Gazbag
Interesting. You want to buy big cards to trash with this, but if you spend all your coppers you won't be able to trash them. It reminds me of cemetary and banish in a good way. The fact that it's a terminal reserve card make it a bit lucky to use though.

Lady by Fragasnap
This is a really elegant way to make a $2 market. It seems like a very reasonable design for a $2 card, while not being strictly better than herbalist or CM. This is a very good $2 card design.

---

Results:

It's always hard to pick winners. There were lots of interesting card designs submitted, but right now I can think of four entries that are excellent enough to be printed and played with now.

Winner:
Lady by Fragasnap

Runner ups:
Stud by NoMoreFun
Sanctum by Gazbag
Smithing Tools by X-tra

And as a bonus:

Will be excellent with tweaks:
Turtle by mad4math
Rabbit by Rhodos
Climber by Freddy10

Thanks to all that participated.

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: April 08, 2020, 12:46:06 pm »

Rabbit by Rhodos
I love the top effect on a $2 card and like the design a lot, but the bottom text is too good for your opponents. It's a big enough penalty that if there's any other draw cards on the board you should use those instead of rabbit, and if rabbit is the only draw, you're probably better off skipping it. I can make a suggestion: give a villager instead of a coffer. Villagers aren't as dangerous to give to your opponent.

Thanks for the great feedback!
I was rather concerned that Rabbit is too strong, so I put a stronger penalty down there. Might be too much of a penalty, I don't know. Maybe villager is a good take; since horse is there now, that could also be a try. Definitely need to test different versions some day.

Thanks for judging :)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: April 08, 2020, 04:59:27 pm »

Dunno if this was intended, but the strategy here is to use it every turn and keep your coppers out of your deck. If you open with a +Buy card on turn 1, you can do this every turn beginning on turn 2 and build extremely quickly from there. I think it's stronger than chapel, and maybe beats donate on some boards because you keep your buying power while simultaneously thinning. It's kinda cool for that reason and I'd love to play a few games with it, but I can't select it for being so powerful. P.S. I did the math and this+travelling fair alone drains provinces in 9 turns while also buying a duchy and estate.
Wow, really?  (not sarcastic)
We've used this several times and always treated as a consolation buy when we ended up with only 2 or 3 coin with nothing worth buying at that cost, or later with an extra buy and a few coins left over after half my coppers are trashed (which is exactly what it's meant for). I actually find it hard to believe it can empty provinces in 9 turns with Travelling Fair. Maybe it'd work better if it said "up to 3 coppers"?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: April 08, 2020, 05:16:26 pm »

Retreiver by scolapasta
Another reaction! This one seems easier to activate than Sorcerer's Apprentice because there's plenty of discarding effects in the game. The reaction is cute, but problematic. If you and your opponent open Retreiver/Cellar, and you line them up on turn 3/4 while your opponent doesn't, you're miles and miles ahead of them. The benefit to having this in hand with a discarder on turn 3 or 4 is too massive to be fair.

:( This is one of my cards I was most excited to share, as I think it's a neat idea. But I think you bring up a very good point about lining them up that could create an unfair imbalance (unfair because both players did the right strategy, so luck should try to be especially minimized).

I still think the idea has potential, so I have a few options on possible fixes. Could it be as simple as making you discard Retriever? Sure it is now weaker, but it's only a $2 anyway, and now if one person gets cellar/retriever earlier than the other, the imbalance is far lesser?

(alternatively, I've thought of making it a reserve? or moving the effect to a project)

Anyway, thanks for the judgement, and seeing that flaw.

(I'll plan on posting this over the weekend in my personal thread to continue discussion there)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: April 09, 2020, 05:18:09 am »
+1

Dunno if this was intended, but the strategy here is to use it every turn and keep your coppers out of your deck. If you open with a +Buy card on turn 1, you can do this every turn beginning on turn 2 and build extremely quickly from there. I think it's stronger than chapel, and maybe beats donate on some boards because you keep your buying power while simultaneously thinning. It's kinda cool for that reason and I'd love to play a few games with it, but I can't select it for being so powerful. P.S. I did the math and this+travelling fair alone drains provinces in 9 turns while also buying a duchy and estate.
Wow, really?  (not sarcastic)
We've used this several times and always treated as a consolation buy when we ended up with only 2 or 3 coin with nothing worth buying at that cost, or later with an extra buy and a few coins left over after half my coppers are trashed (which is exactly what it's meant for). I actually find it hard to believe it can empty provinces in 9 turns with Travelling Fair. Maybe it'd work better if it said "up to 3 coppers"?
T1: play some coppers, buy Tally
T2: play 7 coppers, buy 2x Travelling Fair, Tally, 2x Copper.
T3: play 9 coppers, buy 3x Travelling Fair, Tally, 3x Copper.
T4: play 12 coppers, buy 5x Travelling Fair, Tally, 5x Copper.
T5: play 17 coppers, buy 3x Travelling Fair, Tally, Province, 2x Copper.
T6: play 19 coppers, buy 4x Travelling Fair, Tally, Province, 3x Copper.
T7: play 22 coppers, buy 6x Travelling Fair, Tally, Province, 5x Copper.
T8: play 27 coppers, buy 4x Travelling Fair, Tally, 2x Province, 2x Copper.
T9: play 29 coppers, buy 2x Travelling Fair, 3x Province.

If you have 4 or 5 T1 and get lucky with your T2 hand (ie have an Estate on the bottom of your deck) then you can buy an extra Copper T1 and an extra Copper T2, and you get the Duchy and Estate pubby mentions.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: April 09, 2020, 07:09:22 am »

Augur
You may gain an Augur. +2 Cards.
When you gain this, looks at the top 4 cards of your deck. Choose any number of them to discard and return the remainder to the top of your deck in any order.
An interesting take on +2 cards. I'm always worried about self-gaining cards leading to swingy games, but this one's non-terminal so that shouldn't be an issue most of the time. The on-gain seems like the strongest part. Sifting through 4 then drawing 2 is about as good as embassy, and the first time you buy it it's is almost as good as night watchman. You don't want to fill your deck with these and that's an elegant downside, but IMO 4 card sifting is a little strong for a $2 card.
I don't think I agree here simply because you have to fill your deck with Augurs to get the powerful sifting.  You typically won't be able to afford gaining additional Augurs until your deck is partially setup (and using Augurs to sift your Augurs sounds like a losing game).  Otherwise it's just "+2 Cards" which is a fairly middling $2 effect.

Rabbit
+2 Cards. You may play a Rabbit from your hand.
When you gain this, each other player gains a Coffer.
I was rather concerned that Rabbit is too strong, so I put a stronger penalty down there. Might be too much of a penalty, I don't know. Maybe villager is a good take; since horse is there now, that could also be a try. Definitely need to test different versions some day.
I agree with Rhodos here: If Rabbit is the only Action in my deck, it is a Laboratory at $2.  While I agree that giving +Coffers to other players is a bad idea (mostly because of tempo implications in multiplayer games), the Cultist chain effect alone is worth at least $4 to avoid utterly dominating the board.

Diving School
Types: Project
At the start of your turn, look at the bottom card of your deck. You may place it on top of your deck or discard it.
You can't buy this if you have any cards in hand.
This card reminds me of City Gate and Silos, and I think it's a similar power level. The buy restriction does make it more interesting, but it also makes it way more expensive without +Buy. But if you do have +Buy, then the decision to buy this becomes uninteresting again. Haha, I dunno. It's alright, but I think City Gate and Silos covers enough ground in this area.
Without +Buy, this buy restriction makes Diving School effectively cost ~$5, so I think you want to make this into a stronger $3-cost Project to normalize its behavior.  I think there is plenty of room around City Gate and Silos though.  City Gate gives organization and Silos gives sifting while this gives less of both.

Caver
+2 Cards. If your deck is empty, +$2.
I love the simplicity here and think it's a perfect $2 card to play in an engine. BUT... there's a problem. This card is too good if drawn on turn 4. Getting +2 cards and +$2 on turn 4 can be a strong advantage on certain boards and I believe this overshadows Caver's use elsewhere. Maybe +2 Actions instead of +$2 would work better? That would be similar to Shanty Town in terms of power.
Giving it a non-draw benefit substitutes one issue for another.  The current version chancing into the ~$6 effect of "+2 Cards and +$2" on turn 4 is a big problem, but a version that allows every one of them to be played as "+2 Actions and +$2" so long your deck is randomly empty is a problem its own.  I think this would work better as "+1 Card, +2 Actions; If your deck is empty, +$2" at a cost of $4.

Lady
+1 Buy, +$1. If you have unused Actions (Actions, not Action cards), +1 Card. Otherwise, +1 Action.
This is a really elegant way to make a $2 market. It seems like a very reasonable design for a $2 card, while not being strictly better than herbalist or CM. This is a very good $2 card design.
Thank you for the recognition.
I will post the next design challenge shortly.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Fragasnap

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: April 09, 2020, 07:09:37 am »
+2

Contest 69: Pseudo-terminal Create a pseudo-terminal Action card.  A pseudo-terminal card is a card that can be terminal or non-terminal depending on circumstances.  Gratuitous details and clarification below (card names color coded blue for applicable cards and red for non-applicable cards):
  • The card can be conditionally terminal or non-terminal (such as Conspirator, Crossroads, Ironworks, or Scrap).
  • The card can be "randomly" terminal or non-terminal (such as Tribute or Vassal).
  • The card can be terminal or non-terminal by the choice of the player (such as Pawn and Squire).
  • The card must be an Action, but can have additional types (such as Diplomat, Nobles, and Sheepdog).
    • A Duration will only count as pseudo-terminal if it can be terminal or non-terminal on-play, regardless of later turn effects (Village Green applies; Archive, Dungeon, Fishing Village, and Research do not apply because they are only ever non-terminal on-play; Barge, Enchantress, Haunted Woods, and Tactician do not apply because they are only ever terminal on-play (+1 Action token excepted)).
    • An Action-Treasure or Action-Night card could be pseudo-terminal, just ensure the card is capable of consuming your last +action (Werewolf applies).
    • A Command or Command-alike card is pseudo-terminal so long as there is no condition or setup that prevents them from being variably terminal and non-terminal (Band of Misfits, Captain, and Overlord apply even though there is no guarantee that there will exist both terminal and non-terminal targets; Necromancer also applies).
  • The card can use Villagers so long as they are not given unconditionally (Recruiter and Sculptor apply; Acting Troupe and Patron do not).
  • The card can be in a split pile so long as at least 1 card in it is pseudo-terminal (Sauna/Avanto applies because Avanto is pseudo-terminal).
  • The card can allow playing other cards so long as it is not largely blanket permission (Conclave, Cultist, and Imp apply; Crown, Procession (most cards aren't Durations), Royal Carriage, and Throne Room do not). Blanket permission is effectively the same as +actions.
    • The card could give blanket permission to play another card outside the current turn so long as it can be terminal or non-terminal this turn (Mastermind and Prince do not apply only because they are always terminal on-play).
    • The card could theoretically give a choice between some terminal effect and blanket permission to play another card.
  • The pseudo-terminal effect should be with respect to playing the card, not gaining, buying, or trashing the card (Lackeys and Silk Merchant do not apply; Peasant does not apply as there is no requirement to move the +1 Action token onto Peasant).
  • Special exception: Please don't make a Traveller line.

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: April 09, 2020, 10:23:20 am »
+3

Coronation
Action
$5
-----------
If this is the first Coronation you have played this turn, gain a Gold onto your deck. Otherwise, you may play an Action card from your hand three times.

Put a golden crown on your head; if you're already wearing one, great! Time to hold court. It's a very cheap King's Court if you can get it to fire, but you need two of them, a village, and a payload, which is going to be a toughie.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: April 09, 2020, 10:26:47 am »
+1

Stockade (Action, $4)

+2 Cards
+1 Buy

You may trash this, for +1 Action.

A Silk Merchant that can become a one shot Lab once you’re done with it.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5293 on: April 09, 2020, 10:57:50 am »
+1

Smithing Tools by X-tra
Really cool card. This little guy can draw a ton of cards if enough are in play, but I'm not sold on the player interaction bit. It seems like you'd want to play them regardless unless you didn't have enough +Actions to begin with. Personally, I'd prefer if this only counted your own Smithing Tools in play and leave the player interaction to controlling the split (like Fool's Gold). Good card nonetheless.

Hey, thanks a lot! I’ve been trying to limit the amount of words on my suggested cards for the past couple contests so that only the “big” font is used. Seems like it’s been doing well for my cards. And uhhh yeah I’m a big sucker for player interaction, be it direct or indirect, and I know this tanks some of my entries. But I can’t help it hahahaha! :D
Thanks again for the kind comments!

THIS ENTRY IS OBSOLETE (UP TO DATE VERSION ON PAGE 214)

Speaking of player interaction, let me repeat the same mistakes I keep doing once more with my card for this week’s challenge:

A little reminiscent of Tribute, don’tcha think ? But hey, at least it doesn’t discard other players’ revealed cards, so that’s not as annoying, I suppose. Also, you get a nice consolidation price of if ya don’t reveal anything good (or anything at all, for that matter).

Since this card scales to be much better the more players there are, do you guys believe that this effect should only reveal cards from the player to your left?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:57:44 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: April 09, 2020, 10:59:47 am »
+1

Fool's Laboratory
cost $2 - Action
+2 Cards
If you don't have another copy of this in play, +1 Action.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5295 on: April 09, 2020, 11:52:29 am »

Would this sort of thing work?

I already think its a bit weak and should be triggered by any player so that you can trigger it yourself but just wondering if its in the rules. Is a free play enough like a non-terminal play?

D782802859

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: April 09, 2020, 12:10:43 pm »
+1

Would this sort of thing work?

I already think its a bit weak and should be triggered by any player so that you can trigger it yourself but just wondering if its in the rules. Is a free play enough like a non-terminal play?
This works like Sheepdog, which is allowed in the rules post, so you should be fine.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: April 09, 2020, 12:32:18 pm »

This works like Sheepdog, which is allowed in the rules post, so you should be fine.

I actually don't follow how Sheepdog is allowed. The rules state:

The pseudo-terminal effect should be with respect to playing the card, not gaining, buying, or trashing the card...

On play, Sheepdog is always terminal.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: April 09, 2020, 12:45:02 pm »
+1

I actually don't follow how Sheepdog is allowed. The rules state:

The pseudo-terminal effect should be with respect to playing the card, not gaining, buying, or trashing the card...

On play, Sheepdog is always terminal.

Not if you play it using its Reaction.

Smithing Tools by X-tra

Hey, thanks a lot! I’ve been trying to limit the amount of words on my suggested cards for the past couple contests so that only the “big” font is used. Seems like it’s been doing well for my cards. And uhhh yeah I’m a big sucker for player interaction, be it direct or indirect, and I know this tanks some of my entries. But I can’t help it hahahaha! :D
Thanks again for the kind comments!

Speaking of player interaction, let me repeat the same mistakes I keep doing once more with my card for this week’s challenge:

A little reminiscent of Tribute, don’tcha think ? But hey, at least it doesn’t discard other players’ revealed cards, so that’s not as annoying, I suppose. Also, you get a nice consolidation price of if ya don’t reveal anything good (or anything at all, for that matter).

Since this card scales to be much better the more players there are, do you guys believe that this effect should only reveal cards from the player to your left?

I have a similar card that I posted a while back that plays cards from your opponents' hands, and it was fine that it scaled with more players, and it's one of my most play-tested cards. That said, it revealed more cards and cost , so this could probably be cheaper and stronger.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: April 09, 2020, 01:16:27 pm »

Fool's Laboratory
cost $2 - Action
+2 Cards
If you don't have another copy of this in play, +1 Action.

Would this be better with Crossroads or Fool's Gold wording, "if this is the first time you played Fool's Laboratory this turn"? Or are you intentionally making it stronger when combo'd with Throne Room, Band of Misfits, Way of the Mouse, etc?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.