Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546246 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5200 on: April 01, 2020, 04:13:32 am »
+3

Caver - Action, $2 cost.
+2 Cards
If your deck is empty, + $2.

A super simple approach. The discard pile can have any number of cards in it. Either time playing this right or use other things to draw your deck so this changes function.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: April 01, 2020, 05:31:08 am »
+1

For the want of better ideas at the moment, I'll go with this one.

Rook
$2
Action
Choose one: +2 Cards; or +2 Actions; or +2 Buys; or +$2.

All I can say is, heavily inspired by Pawn. Does it compare too favourably to Steward and Squire?
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: April 01, 2020, 05:51:03 am »

Bagpiper
$2 - Action - Attack
+1 Action
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card or gains a copper, their choice.
-
While this is in play, when you play an Attack card, +$1

A guy to encourage your army and to scare the enemies - and an army of Bagpipers is a folk band generating lots of money

Do I earn $1 if I play the first Bagpiper in this turn?

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: April 01, 2020, 06:05:59 am »
+5

An old card, but hasn't been in a design contest yet.

Lost Coins

Simple money when you need it, cantrip when you don't. Or you can do both once. Besides, it's not often a card says "Choose one or both."

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: April 01, 2020, 06:43:42 am »

Racetrack (Project, $2)

When you gain a card, you may gain a Horse instead.

A Horse equivalent for Trader. A good defence against junking attacks, or a useful way to use spare buys.
You probably want this to say "you may exchange it for a Horse".

Also, this is way too strong. Would be more reasonable with a cost restriction, i.e. "if you gain a card costing at least $2".
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5205 on: April 01, 2020, 07:42:52 am »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5206 on: April 01, 2020, 09:36:28 am »
+5

Yay, thank you Spineflu for including my entry in the honourable mentions. It is... an honour.  :D

This contest's flavour is the lower end of my own contest of the week where one had to come up with a card costing . Now we are doing just that, but for a card costing instead. This should open up more options, I think!

And here is my entry:

And yes. This does mean any Smithing Tools in play. Including those of other players. Putting a Smithing Tools first when there are none in play should put you in an advantageous position and might deter your opponent to put theirs to not boost your next turn. So the card is pretty interactive.

Edit: Fixed typos.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:01:59 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: April 01, 2020, 10:26:04 am »
+3

Rules clarification: You can gain one Horse per condition per turn (So, for example, you gain 2 Horses if you Remodel a Horse into a Duchy - one for trashing an Action, and one for gaining a Victory Card). You can gain Horses on turns other than yours.

I think "any" implies that you could gain only one horse per turn. I would try "each", even if that means you use it twice in a sentence. Or maybe you can walkaround that by saying "the first time during your turn".

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: April 01, 2020, 11:18:46 am »

Bagpiper
$2 - Action - Attack
+1 Action
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card or gains a copper, their choice.
-
While this is in play, when you play an Attack card, +$1

A guy to encourage your army and to scare the enemies - and an army of Bagpipers is a folk band generating lots of money

Do I earn $1 if I play the first Bagpiper in this turn?
Bagpiper doesn't give coins for itself, because it is not "in play" at the moment of playing.
Now I feel that the card is too weak to be interesting, increased the bonus to $2 and reworded to avoid confusion.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: April 01, 2020, 12:12:08 pm »
+1

Racetrack (Project, $2)

When you gain a card, you may gain a Horse instead.

A Horse equivalent for Trader. A good defence against junking attacks, or a useful way to use spare buys.
You probably want this to say "you may exchange it for a Horse".

Also, this is way too strong. Would be more reasonable with a cost restriction, i.e. "if you gain a card costing at least $2".

I did wonder if it was too good for the price. Will amend as suggested (thanks):

Racetrack (Project, $2)

When you gain a card costing $2 or more, you may exchange it for a Horse.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: April 01, 2020, 12:13:54 pm »
+2

I think I want to point out that Donald X specifically did not do $2 projects because they're too much of an automatic buy--you might as well just have a Landmark or other card that changes the rules instead of having a $2 project.

So that's something to think about.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: April 01, 2020, 12:20:03 pm »
+1

I think I want to point out that Donald X specifically did not do $2 projects because they're too much of an automatic buy--you might as well just have a Landmark or other card that changes the rules instead of having a $2 project.

So that's something to think about.

Interesting... found the quote on the secret history:

Pageant: This cost $2 at first, but a Project can't cost $2 (unless it has a penalty) - you just automatically buy it sometimes.

So options:
• keep it anyway
• change price to $3 or more (making it invalid for this challenge, of course)
• add a penalty

In my case, adding a penalty might be tough with the setup text already there. Hmmm... I might need to switch to one of my other $2 ideas.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: April 01, 2020, 01:32:30 pm »
+1

Seeing as how $2 Projects are supposedly bad, I will withdraw Racetrack and replace it with this:

Mule (Action, $2)

+2 Cards
If you have 4 cards or fewer in your hand, +1 Action.

A simple card that becomes a Lab if your hand is small enough when you play it. It offers a good defence against the likes of Militia and Ghost Ship. To be clear, the handsize check is made after you have drawn 2 cards.

curtis

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: April 01, 2020, 03:49:09 pm »
+1

Town Charter (Event, $2)

Once Per Turn: +1 Buy, +1 Action
If it's your Buy Phase, return to your Action Phase.

Not terribly creative, but adds a limited version of what Villa and Calvary do to a game, without being dependent on piles.
I'm not sure if the "If it's your Buy Phase" part is necessary since it's an event.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:52:38 pm by curtis »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: April 01, 2020, 04:46:32 pm »
+1

Tally
Event
Set aside any number of coppers you have in play. Put them in your hand at the start of your next turn.

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: April 01, 2020, 06:22:13 pm »
+2

So you can chain Rabbits like you can chain Cultists. I like the idea that you get rewarded for having multiple copies of the same card, without the card being terrible if you don't draw them together.

I thought it is quite strong for $2, so I wanted to give the other players a little bonus, when you gain a Rabbit. Since drawing a card like with Lost City is too much, I decided for a little cycle. Which also, should not be underrated. The "non-empty" deck clause is there to prevent it from triggering a shuffle. Especially triggering the first shuffle, when the oppenent has 3/4 or 2/5 is way to annoying and it is not meant be an attack.

Changelog:
Changed the on-gain effect from giving your opponents a cycle (draw one, discard one) to giving your opponents a Coffer.
That makes the card way easier to understand, in the sense that the advantage for your opponent is clearer to see. Also your opponent does not have to react on your turn and it is less wordy, both of which is always good.
And I think it is more balanced now. You get a strong card, they get a strong effect (hey, your playing a Baker for them!). Sounds fair.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:35:16 am by Rhodos »

Rhodos

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: April 01, 2020, 06:39:51 pm »
+2

Rook
$2
Action

All I can say is, heavily inspired by Pawn. Does it compare too favourably to Steward and Squire?

I think that card just fine. Since Steward is mainly used for trashing, i would say it is quite different. It is similar to Squire, but still different. And after all it is not problem to be similar to something existing, since most of the time they will not be in the kingdom together. I mean how many Village variants do we have!? And that is for good reason.

And nice name, I see what you did there  ;)

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: April 01, 2020, 06:45:48 pm »

Rook
$2
Action

I think that card just fine. Since Steward is mainly used for trashing, i would say it is quite different. It is similar to Squire, but still different. And after all it is not problem to be similar to something existing, since most of the time they will not be in the kingdom together. I mean how many Village variants do we have!? And that is for good reason.

And nice name, I see what you did there  ;)
Nice feedback, thanks. And yes, I do play chess and thoroughly enjoy it.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: April 01, 2020, 08:37:07 pm »
+1

Given the very valid point about $2 Projects being too much an auto-buy in many cases, I've added a buy restriction to my entry.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: April 02, 2020, 07:54:09 am »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5220 on: April 02, 2020, 12:11:25 pm »
+1

An old card of mine, made before Patron, but now I have the right wording for it (because of Patron).
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: April 02, 2020, 01:03:05 pm »
+3

So, after some deliberation, I think my plan will be to make Colosseum cost $3. Which disqualifies it for this week.  So here's my new entry:

Sometimes Retrievers will take things you give them and bury them. Other times they'll take buried things and bring them back to you. Arf!

Notes:
• Works as a possible defense against some trashing and discarding attacks (depending, of course on what is trashed / discarded)
• Can also be used to trash bad cards for something like Cellar (Cellar / Retriever becomes Chapel+)
• Can also be used when you don't want to trash a card for something like Junk Dealer
• it's "would trash/discard" so "when you trash/discard" triggers don't happen, i.e. you can't Remodel a gold, discard it, and get a province

Questions:
Is it overpowered that you can use multiple times? (I considered making you discard it so could only "retrieve/bury" one card per Retriever)

Secret History:
• this was inspired by the Menagerie teaser of "instead, and vice-versa" and was originally phrased that way. It seemed clearer to spell it out.
• I had a Retriever in the pure reaction contest which needed help; seemed like the perfect flavor for this idea. It got the Action type, and +2 Cards since it's a dog (he's a good boy, yes, he is).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:38:20 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5222 on: April 02, 2020, 01:13:55 pm »
+2

To shrink down the wording of the Reaction part of that card, I would use the "and vice-versa" term introduced with Way of the Chameleon.

"When you would discard a card other than during Clean-up, you may reveal this from your hand to trash it instead, and vice-versa."

I dunno if this is a "legal" way of wording things, but it'd be neat if it was.

Also, Retriever should probably be discarded on use, since you could infinitely trash-to-discard and then discard-to-trash.

Edit: Oops. Just read your Secret History in which you explain why you did not use the term "vice-versa". Sorry about me butting in.  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:22:37 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: April 02, 2020, 01:46:47 pm »

To shrink down the wording of the Reaction part of that card, I would use the "and vice-versa" term introduced with Way of the Chameleon.

"When you would discard a card other than during Clean-up, you may reveal this from your hand to trash it instead, and vice-versa."

I dunno if this is a "legal" way of wording things, but it'd be neat if it was.

Edit: Oops. Just read your Secret History in which you explain why you did not use the term "vice-versa". Sorry about me butting in.  :)

Thanks for the feedback!

So, more specifically, if it were "when you trash, discard and vice versa" it would allow trashing when discarding during cleanup. And if it where "when you discard other than Clean-up, trash and vice versa", it *might* allow reacting when trashing from supply which I didn't want (hence "trash one of your cards"). Additionally, it would clash with my Worshippers token design, that allows for trashing during cleanup.

Also, Retriever should probably be discarded on use, since you could infinitely trash-to-discard and then discard-to-trash.

I'm not so worried about this. You can reveal Moat infinitely as it is. Since it's "would trash / discard" there's not benefit here to doing this. That said, I might make this change if this version is overpowered.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: April 02, 2020, 04:03:27 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.