Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1548203 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5175 on: March 31, 2020, 01:39:27 pm »

Last minute pre-judgment question:

Collier, Action $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may gain a Copper to your hand.
Once this turn, when you discard a Copper from play, you may exchange it for a Silver.

Slowly turn your Coppers into Silvers. Or, play it as a Peddler that gains Silvers.

"Once this turn" = once per Collier you've played or once period?

If it means per Collier; then recommend just using Scheme's wording:

This turn, you may exchange one of your Coppers for a Silver when you discard it from play.

If you choose to gain a Copper, then this is Peddler/Poacher + Gain a Silver. And you have the option to just be a Cantrip "gain a Peddler/Poacher" (exchanging Copper for Silver is basically gaining a Peddler).

In other words, while not technically strictly better than Poacher/Peddler; it's definitely just about strictly better. Should cost .

Unless the "once this turn" was meant to prevent multiples from stacking.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: March 31, 2020, 02:12:06 pm »
+1

Last minute pre-judgment question:

Collier, Action $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may gain a Copper to your hand.
Once this turn, when you discard a Copper from play, you may exchange it for a Silver.

Slowly turn your Coppers into Silvers. Or, play it as a Peddler that gains Silvers.

"Once this turn" = once per Collier you've played or once period?

If it means per Collier; then recommend just using Scheme's wording:

This turn, you may exchange one of your Coppers for a Silver when you discard it from play.

If you choose to gain a Copper, then this is Peddler/Poacher + Gain a Silver. And you have the option to just be a Cantrip "gain a Peddler/Poacher" (exchanging Copper for Silver is basically gaining a Peddler).

In other words, while not technically strictly better than Poacher/Peddler; it's definitely just about strictly better. Should cost .

Unless the "once this turn" was meant to prevent multiples from stacking.
I disagree with this analysis. Silver is a stop card and you rarely want many of them. Mining a Copper into Silver is only comparable to gaining a Peddler if the Kingdom features no trashing. If there is trashing, getting rid of that Copper is obviously most of the times superior over mining it into Silver.

Agreed, but I also agree with GendoIkari that Collier as worded should cost .
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5177 on: March 31, 2020, 05:11:38 pm »
+1

judgment is occurring, please do not expect me to see/rate any changes from here onward.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: March 31, 2020, 05:16:31 pm »
+2

judgment is occurring, please do not expect me to see/rate any changes from here onward.

Sounds so ominous...
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: March 31, 2020, 05:39:56 pm »
+2

Alright, here comes the judge. If I missed anything, feel free to correct me; who knows, maybe i'm way off base on some of my judgements here. I think yall did a great job with the contest, so pat yourselves on the back, gain a Duchy or a card from the Prize Pile, etc.

Contest #67 Judging
Sell • [TP] Inferno
So I've got two concerns with the viability of this.

The first and smaller one is a Copper at $5. Like technically Venture is also this but in practise it isn't - it finds some other treasure so it's randomly between $2 and whatever bank gives you, provided you aren't playing with Ducat. It's just kind of a bad plan for money-stuff.

The second (and larger one) is this moves stuff that's in play. That makes it prone to loops, especially when Villa and Cavalry exist. Since it's exchanging that makes it easy to return those to the supply and reap that benefit repeatedly.

Dinner • majiponi
I'm not sure why the set up instruction is like that?
It seems like a non-sequitur, like it doesn't follow from what the card does.

The top part seems decent - a little narrower than Changeling, better than Feast.
If this made the extra kingdom action pile not-in-supply and had the option to exchange for that or a card costing up to $5, that would make this more interesting.

not sure what you mean by
100% of getting $5-cost cards, or some possibility to reach $6 or more.
- like why you'd buy Dinner instead of Silver?

Atoner • NoMoreFun Honorable Mention
I really like this but it needs to be in a Cursing kingdom to work.
You could probably broaden this to "each player may exchange a card from their hand for a horse" and then cover all junk scenarios, including Curses.

Otherwise, this is really great.

Deed • Doom_Shark
Slight mechanical quibble but you shouldn't need to full on discard this, you can just reveal it from your hand.
This is good. I like it. A little plain (and kind of similar to Con Man's entry in effect) but good.

Entrepreneur • Aquila Finalist
I really like this. Very clever peddler that makes great use of the fact that its supply pile can refill.
Side note, i'm always surprised by the number of 'R's in Entrepreneur. I for sure skip like half of them when I say it aloud.

Notary, Heir + Letter • X-tra Honorable Mention
This is really great. It's a non-terminal silver at $3, but only the first time you use it in a turn. It's got serious potential as a gold gainer as well. Good stuff. I think I'd change Letter to be "When you play an Heir, gain a Gold".

Inheritor, Minister, General, King • D782802859
The revision to Inheritor was well-needed. Still, I think it might be too cheap to have at $3, or too easy to pop off several in a turn; I largely agree with Gubump's critique. If you make General +3 Cards instead of +2, that would probably fix that; likewise if you changed Inheritor to be terminal (even leave on the +1 Card because it's awkward and makes for some awkward misses), I think it'd be better.

Angel, Devil • Supernova888
This is good. I like that Angel gets around the -1 Card token. I like the synergy where Devil encourages you to toss your bad cards on top of your deck (provided you have sufficient Angels next turn). Feel like a deck based around Angels will run into the "Lord Rattington's Junk Dealer problem", where you eventually end up trashing too much Good Stuff, entirely on accident. Feel like maybe you could've done more with Devil, like maybe make it Courtyard? As a cantrip it's kind of lackluster for its name.
Still, this is solid.

Coupon • ConMan Honorable Mention
Endgame as a mechanic is surprisingly straightforward (and could be retroactively applied to "Fleet"). What color would you make it? I feel like a Teal might be nice.

The concept on this is solid. It's a Smuggled Wish.
I'd play with the wording a bit though - I kept misreading it as you'd exchange Coupon for a card cheaper than Coupon, not a Card cheaper than the card they gained.
This is an honorable mention.

Brass • mandioca15
Sorry I made you change your first entry, I know that can be rough, trying to scramble and come up with something else. You did good with it though.
This is a neat spices/remodel variant. It's going to have kingdoms where it's mostly an overpriced silver, but it's good. I could see this being an actual card in an expansion whose focus is 'exchanging'. If I'd change one thing, I'd bump the "up to $ more" value to $3 (or change the cost of this to $4) - as-is, $7 is kind of a weird hole in the pricing number line. Would put this on par with like, Farmlands.

Balance, Discord, Order • somekindoftony
Balance is Very Good for its price.
Discord I don't know how many I'd want in my deck. Probably one. Maybe two if there's literally no other trashing.
Order is ... oof. Probably not fun to play against.

I'd take notes from Count for fixing Discord. Or like, have it set a card (any card? just actions or treasures? what would it mean to have a curse in play?) aside and play it at the start of your next turn in addition to everything else.

Order, it doesn't do anything directly for you (something all but three canon attacks do) and I can see it just kinda dragging out the game. It doesn't have a good counter in these cards really, which is just going to grind everything to a halt as people have to pad their decks with silvers from the 3 copper they could scrounge together. In 4+ player games, players could - from like, turn 5 on - never have a 5 card hand. Too brutal.

Order would definitely earn a place in my banlist next to Possession and Wall for changing the game in an unfun way.

Student, Study • mail-mi
This is incredibly centralizing.
I like the idea of Student becoming a Mega Market but idk if I agree with your price adjustment scheme here - probably just make it "costs $1 more per token on it.", because otherwise Student maxes out at $6.

I do like the flavor of Studying more than 4 times being pointless though. Feels accurate to real life.

Companion, Toy + Loyal + Friendly + Naive • Something_Smart
So I'm mostly going to judge your states - the Companion/Toy exchange seems to mostly be a way to obtain those.

I'm not sure if I understand why you'd ever want to have "Loyal" other than a hypothetical "oops all smithies" problem, or like, edge cases with throne rooms. The only time you'd 100% want it is when you build a deck that's (accidentally?) all terminals and even then it probably can't be counted on to stay yours.

Friendly and Naive are good, I can see use cases for those that aren't trying to bail out of a slog.

I think probably the easiest way to make this more viable would be have Toys be more limited than Companions - have maybe 5 of them - which would make it harder to take the states away from other players.

Pact / Fiend (split pile) • BlueHairedMeerkat Honorable Mention
This has a neat flow to it. Copper -> Gold -> Fiend is Very Good.

It encourages Gold flooding, which will earn no love on the strategy minded parts of this forum that have decided that Gold is a Bad Card; I like it, although competitively speaking, I'm kind of a scrub.

Fiend as a gainer is potentially Really Good, especially in games with some of these other cards. I can see this being an actual pile in an 'exchange'-focused kingdom.

Nice job, and welcome to the forum.

Small Slime, Big Slime, Titanic Slime • pubby Finalist
Two for one exchanging is Novel as Heck, the Flavor on this rules (I especially like the doubling costs - very nice). I think the only tweak I'd make is make Titanic Slime also give four actions, because you probably won't use all of them if your deck is slime-flooding anyway (and Diadem is the only thing that'd care about it.)

This is Extremely Good.

Way of the Bat • scolapasta
Just as a disclaimer, I don't think I've played enough with Ways to be a super-competent judge of them.

I can see this having its uses though, for sure, especially as a late-game Duchy gainer or to pull plenty of cards from the bottom half of a split pile (well, Plunder anyway) once it gets fully exposed.
However, I can also see it being ignored a lot. This probably isn't game shaping in the way Way of the Worm or Way of the Chameleon are.

The art is very good on this.

Way of the Spirit • grrgrrgrr Finalist
This might be too good. Like, this potentially exchanges any $5 (or even $5*s like Fisherman) into a Ghost. Again, not a super competent judge of Ways. I'd love to play a game with this and see what happens when one person goes all in on getting Hella Ghosts.

Abandoned Laboratory • Gubump

I feel like this has too narrow a use case. Like, compare this to Experiment.
You buy two of these for $2. They turn into garbage in your deck. The only salvaging that garbage is either trashing (not always present) or a helpful way (super not always present).

You buy a single experiment for $3, it comes with a second. They turn into blank spaces in your deck. Maybe you have to buy more but maybe that's fine.

A neat idea, but needs some revisions. Maybe make these a superlab.

Job Fair • grep Finalist
At first I didn't like this. It's got all the things that are frustrating about +|-$1 remodeling.
Then I reconsidered that all the cards go to the top of your deck. And this is non-terminal.
This is very good and cool, actually. This is a finalist.

Guest Room, Pension • Rhodos Finalist
Pension is fantastic. Hopefully you'd have enough Villagers from your Guest Room to play the cards you draw this way.
Pay for exchange is a neat idea. I hope I'd remember to set aside enough $ in my buy phase to do this.
Welcome to the board.

Township • Fragasnap Finalist
This is awesome. I don't know if I'd ever out-and-out buy one rather than buying Gold and swapping it right away - I guess I can see cases where you've got enough money but not this turn - but this is Very Good.

Way of the Recession • mad4math
Again, novice with ways here.
However I don't know why you'd ever do this - maybe if it's a card that moves anyway but doesn't go back to the Supply, like Treasure Map or Prince?
Seems very edge-case-y. Probably good with Reserve cards.

Grain, Flour, Bread • segura
I know you entered this as a half-joke, but I'm very glad you did, because I really appreciate the flavor. Of bread. and also the other cards.

I think (given that you're deciding 3/10ths of a kingdom (whether that's Harvest/Mill/Baker or Grain/Mill/Baker) any time you're including these) that you should make them more powerful; I've judged these as "effect and exchange" as you advised, and with the kingdom set up having Grain/Mill/Baker (no Harvest).

(to be clear - the version I'm judging:
• Grain reads "Gain 3 Horses. If you have a Mill in play, you may exchange this for a Flour."
• Flour reads "Reveal the top card of your deck. +1 Villager per $1 it costs. If you have a Baker in play, you may exchange this for a Bread. (This is not in the Supply.)"
• no change to Bread.

I think Bread in general is very hard to judge. I get that it has to collide with Baker in order to even get to your deck, and the odds + cost of making that happen are fairly well documented with things like Treasure Map. However, this exists in a deck with Grain, which means those horses will help make that collision happen.
It's also a golden-deck enabling card. I think especially with things like Shepherd that lead to deck-cycling overdraw, this is way too good. I'd say make it "when you discard this from your hand during clean up, +2VP / 2VP per Bread you have" - turns are still going to be a limited resource; number of times you discard a card may not be. The buff to +2VP is to account for how late you'd likely get it.

Grain and Flour, I'd maybe try to include buys or trashing in some way? you're eating 3x the normal size of the kingdom with these, decreasing the odds for either of those mechanics to show up. Even like a weak Hamlet style "discard for Buy" on Grain or a "If you have no Villagers, you may trash the revealed card" on Flour (after the reveal but before exchanging). If these all only took up one kingdom pile, they'd be fine as-is.

As a side note, it was kind of frustrating to have to decide "how" your entry looked - the "if this is too weak, do this; otherwise" part - it's probably going to get you better results (vis a vis not inducing consternation on the judge) if your entry isn't 'choose your own adventure' for the judge.

Collier • navical Honorable Mention
This is a very good $4 card.
I'm tempted to say it's too good for $4. I'm not going to, but it'd probably still be bought a lot at $5.
Like it's either a nonterminal copper remodeler (compare with Taxman or Mine, accounting for the terminality shift) or a nonterminal silver gainer (compare with Treasure Hunter, if that also gave a card and got rid of some junk).
I'd wager this is a game shaping card on the same level as Remodel or Sauna/Avanto.
I judged this assuming the exchange only happened if you had any number of Colliers in play, not assuming each one in play could exchange its own copper.

Siege, Battlement, Portcullis • spheremonk

Interesting use of Embargo tokens! I especially like the setup instructions.
I think you can get the font size larger if you change "This turn, you may buy one card from an Embargoed pile without gaining any Curses." to "The first time you buy a card this turn, ignore Embargo tokens". Granted there's a little change in functionality if there's, say, only one buy and you buy Forum or Cavalry first, but those are very edge-case-y.

I think you can probably condense Battlement and Portcullis into a single card - I don't know why you'd ever remove embargo tokens with Battlement, seeing as that'd mostly help other players - which would remove each of their below-the-line portion. Something like "Choose one: +$2; or trash a card from your hand costing up to $2. The first time you buy a card this turn, ignore Embargo tokens. (This is not in the Supply)". Make it so I don't have to bust out the reading glasses.

Welcome to the board.

General, Resupply, Military cards • Optimal_Inefficiency

This is a lot.
I didn't attempt to fully read and internalize every military card - I skimmed - seems like a lot of them mimic existing cards (Longbowmen = Knights, Officers = Monument, and so on). Some of them seem like they could be viable cards on their own (Garrison). Some of them seem maybe too golden-deck potential-y (Treaty).

I'm going to talk in generalities here - I don't love the "most of these turn back into a general" part. Adding seven (seven!) cards to pick from every time you play a General is going to cause some serious analysis paralysis if you're playing with these IRL. Some of these attacks do nothing (Surprise - the only time this will "hit" is when a player has both a resupply and a silver, otherwise they can just choose one they can't do - see Torturer) and some of them exhibit undefined behavior (War Council - does that cost adjustment happen before or after any cost reduction? This makes Livery gain the entire Horse pile - is that ok?). Resupply is going to straight up confuse new players - "whys this worth $3 sometimes and $2 other times?" - and the rules for gaining it should really be on the cards that gain it (Longbowmen et al). You've got some inconsistencies with when things should be italic or have a line.

Your military card rule #3 goes against an existing rule - try trashing an Archive or Crypt you have in play some time using Bonfire, those cards stay out.

I'd try to edit this down quite a bit before any sort of paper playtesting - maybe have a military pile (similar to Tournament's Prize pile) and players reveal the top three cards of the military pile to exchange a general for?

Welcome to the board.

in no particular order....
Honorable Mentions:
• Atoner (NoMoreFun)
• Notary, Heir + Letter (X-tra)
• Coupon (ConMan)
• Pact / Fiend split pile (BlueHairedMeerkat)
• Collier (navical)

Runners Up:

• Way of the Demon (grrgrrgrr)
• Entrepreneur (Aquila)
• Guest Room, Pension (Rhodos)
• Township (Fragasnap)
• Job Fair (grep)

Winner:
Small Slime, Big Slime, Titanic Slime by pubby.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: March 31, 2020, 06:07:58 pm »
+1

Contest #67 Judging
Sell • [TP] Inferno
So I've got two concerns with the viability of this.

The first and smaller one is a Copper at $5. Like technically Venture is also this but in practise it isn't - it finds some other treasure so it's randomly between $2 and whatever bank gives you, provided you aren't playing with Ducat. It's just kind of a bad plan for money-stuff.

The second (and larger one) is this moves stuff that's in play. That makes it prone to loops, especially when Villa and Cavalry exist. Since it's exchanging that makes it easy to return those to the supply and reap that benefit repeatedly.
Ok, good feedback. Your point about loops is a good one, I'll try to keep that in mind.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: March 31, 2020, 06:26:09 pm »
+1

Student, Study • mail-mi
I like the idea of Student becoming a Mega Market but idk if I agree with your price adjustment scheme here - probably just make it "costs $1 more per token on it.", because otherwise Student maxes out at $6.

I do like the flavor of Studying more than 4 times being pointless though. Feels accurate to real life.

I don't know if you missed this or just didn't see fit to comment on it, but you only get to play Student once every 2 shuffles because you have to exchange it with a Study every play, which I think weakens it dramatically.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: March 31, 2020, 07:20:05 pm »
+1

General, Resupply, Military cards • Optimal_Inefficiency

This is a lot.
I didn't attempt to fully read and internalize every military card - I skimmed...

I understand; it was a lot. The point of the set is the versatility / unreliability of the cards. Also, I appreciate the input.

I’m not considering playing with these cards. I started by looking at the Vampire/Bat combo, then imagining a ‘Vampire’ that could turn into any of a series of set-aside ‘Bats.’ I definitely went overboard with the size. It may be something I revisit.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: March 31, 2020, 08:52:12 pm »
+2

Thanks for judging, spineflu!

Contest #68

Create a card, event, or project costing $2.

If you make a card, it must cost $2 in the supply.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: March 31, 2020, 09:07:01 pm »
+1

I think you can get the font size larger if you change "This turn, you may buy one card from an Embargoed pile without gaining any Curses." to "The first time you buy a card this turn, ignore Embargo tokens". Granted there's a little change in functionality if there's, say, only one buy and you buy Forum or Cavalry first, but those are very edge-case-y.

I think you can probably condense Battlement and Portcullis into a single card - I don't know why you'd ever remove embargo tokens with Battlement, seeing as that'd mostly help other players - which would remove each of their below-the-line portion. Something like "Choose one: +$2; or trash a card from your hand costing up to $2. The first time you buy a card this turn, ignore Embargo tokens. (This is not in the Supply)". Make it so I don't have to bust out the reading glasses.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks for your ideas — I really appreciate the help. A few thoughts:

You’re absolutely right that Battlement/Portcullis should be one card. They were in all prior incarnations, but unfortunately, I just learned the word “Portcullis” last week, and it's a pretty cool word, so . . .

You are right that removing tokens is fairly weak, but I don’t agree entirely that in a non-mirror there aren’t times you would use it to effectuate Curse-less buys over multiple turns. The very existence of Embargo tokens implies that cards have different values to different players. 

Where I disagree is about the “first time” language. I considered that language and also “while this is in play,” but wanted to enable multiple plays. Maybe I’m missing something, but is that really edge-casey? Doesn’t it matter anytime there is +Buy and Village or Throne variants?

All of that said, I hate small type too and your suggestions do a great job of solving that problem. Thanks again!

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: March 31, 2020, 09:25:13 pm »
+3

OMG I just made this for fun last night. Proof I'm psychic? Sure I'll take it.

Now I hope this works like I want; When you play an Augur you can gain the Augur and trigger its on-gaining ability before drawing your cards so that you set up the draw.
This makes it a useful effect to trigger at the right time but you can end up with too many Augurs too quickly as well. Once the Augur pile is empty they are worse than moats.

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: March 31, 2020, 09:27:45 pm »
+2

[EDIT: I've playtested this some now, and it turns out it really needs a +Buy to get the dynamic going. I have added that (not on its own line – the type gets too small). EMBARGO TOKENS ARE LOTS MORE FUN THAN THEY FIRST SEEM!]

I can't help loving those Embargo tokens:

FAQ: At the start of games using this card, choose four Supply piles randomly and place one Embargo token on each. You may want to choose those piles by taking the top card off each Supply pile (including Kingdom cards, basic Victory cards, basic Treasure cards and Curses), shuffling them, and choosing four. If you choose “+1 Smuggle,” add a token to your Smuggle mat. Immediately before you buy a card with one or more Embargo tokens on it (paying its cost) you may remove a token from your Smuggles to not gain any Curses. Smuggles come from the supply of Smuggles, and return there; they are not taken from other mats or other players. Smuggles are not component-limited: players may use a substitute if they run out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:26:24 am by spheremonk »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: March 31, 2020, 09:46:22 pm »

edit: withdrawing this

Daymark • $2 • Project
Play with your deck face up.
At the end of your buy phase, you may pay $1 to discard the top card of your deck.

FAQ: you still shuffle face-down; when you buy this, flip your deck fully face up without re-ordering it. You can still count your deck, but you must flip it face down first to do that. You can only do this once per turn (like Pageant)

Student, Study • mail-mi

I don't know if you missed this or just didn't see fit to comment on it, but you only get to play Student once every 2 shuffles because you have to exchange it with a Study every play, which I think weakens it dramatically.

ah. I take back the "this is centralizing" comment then.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks for your ideas — I really appreciate the help. A few thoughts:

You’re absolutely right that Battlement/Portcullis should be one card. They were in all prior incarnations, but unfortunately, I just learned the word “Portcullis” last week, and it's a pretty cool word, so . . .

You are right that removing tokens is fairly weak, but I don’t agree entirely that in a non-mirror there aren’t times you would use it to effectuate Curse-less buys over multiple turns. The very existence of Embargo tokens implies that cards have different values to different players. 

Where I disagree is about the “first time” language. I considered that language and also “while this is in play,” but wanted to enable multiple plays. Maybe I’m missing something, but is that really edge-casey? Doesn’t it matter anytime there is +Buy and Village or Throne variants?

All of that said, I hate small type too and your suggestions do a great job of solving that problem. Thanks again!

ah i guess I misread your cards intent (re: the first time language) - i thought it only happened once during your buy phase, not once per Portcullis/Battlement. You know your card better than me - i've interacted with it for like 20 min tops, you've been working on it for presumably longer than that.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:56:45 pm by spineflu »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: March 31, 2020, 10:11:01 pm »
+1

Way of the Bat • scolapasta
Just as a disclaimer, I don't think I've played enough with Ways to be a super-competent judge of them.

I can see this having its uses though, for sure, especially as a late-game Duchy gainer or to pull plenty of cards from the bottom half of a split pile (well, Plunder anyway) once it gets fully exposed.
However, I can also see it being ignored a lot. This probably isn't game shaping in the way Way of the Worm or Way of the Chameleon are.

The art is very good on this.

Thanks for the feedback. I also haven't played much with Ways, but my assumption for a good design is ot should be something you use occasionally, but not frequently. Clearly, I arbitrarily limited that by making it once per turn,  but I still think that one use will be infrequent enough as to make it interesting. But who know? clearly needs testing. (which is one great thing about landscapes, you don't even need to print them to play with them!)

Last thing, in some ways it's similar to Way of the Butterfly - get rid of a card, get a different card. In Way of the Bat's case the card you get costs $1 less than Butterfly's BUT you get it now, i.e. can play immediately.

I'll post my entry for this week in a different post, to make easier for anyone quoting.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: March 31, 2020, 10:26:15 pm »
+1

This is no longer my entry for this week's challenge - I will likely make this cost $3, disqualifying it.

OK this week - MAN, I've got a few $2 cards lined up for posting. Good thing is of this one doesn't get much traction, I can always switch it up! :) (one interesting thing about this challenge is if we post a card that is over or under priced, you can't just change the price!)

Here's Colosseum:

You build a Colosseum and now it's cheaper than ever to host Events! And some Events can only be hosted in such a grand structure.

Colosseum - Project - $2

During your turns, Events cost $1 less.
-
Setup: Add two additional Events to the Kingdom.
These can only be bought if you have bought Colosseum.

Notes:
• The set up guarantees there are at least two Events.
• The set up, by making the Events exclusive, is (hopefully) more interesting than just setting up 2 extra events.
• Plus even if the Events cost $0, the exclusivity means there's still a reason to buy the Colosseum.

Secret History:
• A "Bridge for events" doesn't really work as a card:
- There are too few events in a Kingdom to make you want to buy the card and hope it hits when you want the event
- You can't lower cost more than $1, even playing multiples as that would not work with Travelling Fair, Delve, or other $2 +1 Buy events.
• As a project, however, it's a one time buy with a lasting effect, so now becomes more interesting.
• I considered putting the "these can only be bought..." above the line, but this way seemed clearer.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:41:34 pm by scolapasta »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5190 on: March 31, 2020, 10:44:27 pm »
+2

Insurance
cost $2 - Project
When any player plays an Attack card, gain a Silver.

Gaining a Silver when YOU play an Attack is to play an Attack less often.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: March 31, 2020, 11:35:15 pm »
+2

Coliseum has one l (if you choose that spelling), not two. Also, Colosseum is the more common spelling.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: March 31, 2020, 11:53:58 pm »

Coliseum has one l (if you choose that spelling), not two. Also, Colosseum is the more common spelling.

Thank you! Fixed on the card and in the post. Funny thing is I had it right* in the set up clause!

* the one l version, Coliseum, but I switched them both to Colosseum

Update: ha, I just spent a bunch of time reading up on the difference between Coliseum and Colosseum. Seems like Coliseum is the generic term, while Colosseum is specifically the one in Roma. (so now I'm not sure if I should go back to the more generic one)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:15:00 am by scolapasta »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: April 01, 2020, 12:09:58 am »
+2

Rules clarification: You can gain one Horse per condition per turn (So, for example, you gain 2 Horses if you Remodel a Horse into a Duchy - one for trashing an Action, and one for gaining a Victory Card). You can gain Horses on turns other than yours.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 12:26:54 am by NoMoreFun »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: April 01, 2020, 12:21:50 am »
+1

Create a card, event, or project costing $2.
If you make a card, it must cost $2 in the supply.
Are overpays allowed? What about buying preconditions like Grand Market has?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: April 01, 2020, 12:25:07 am »
+1

Are overpays allowed? What about buying preconditions like Grand Market has?
Both are allowed.

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: April 01, 2020, 12:39:01 am »
+1

Turtle
$2 Night - Duration

Set aside any number of action cards from your hand. At the start of your next turn, play them in any order.
-----
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile).

It can both save you from terminal collisions, and act as a village by setting aside cards with +Action.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: April 01, 2020, 12:49:18 am »
+1

EDIT: Add a buy restriction, to make it more of a decision.

What if Pearl Diver, but Project? What if also could just throw away junk?

Diving School
Project $2

At the start of your turn, look at the bottom card of your deck. You may place it on top of your deck or discard it.
---
You can't buy this if you have any cards in hand.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:36:14 pm by ConMan »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: April 01, 2020, 12:49:56 am »
+1

Bagpiper
$2 - Action - Attack
+1 Action
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card or gains a copper, their choice.
-
While this is in play, when you play another Attack card, +$2

A guy to encourage your army and to scare the enemies - and an army of Bagpipers is a folk band generating lots of money. Scale: 1 Bagpiper = no money, 2 Bagpipers = 2 Coppers; 3 Bagpipers = 3 Silvers; 4 Bagpipers = 4 Golds

Update: reworded and changed bonus.
Previous versions:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:13:49 pm by grep »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: April 01, 2020, 03:26:46 am »
+1

Racetrack (Project, $2)

When you gain a card, you may gain a Horse instead.

A Horse equivalent for Trader. A good defence against junking attacks, or a useful way to use spare buys.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 21 queries.