Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546472 times)

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5150 on: March 29, 2020, 12:19:30 pm »
+1

I got to test my entry a little bit and in the light of what I’ve seen, I’d like to apply a small modification to the Heir card. So this is what my entry looks like now:

Heir now produces + and has an extra option for the player to trade another Action card for a Gold. This allows you to keep your Heir if you want to wait to have the Letter to double Gold.

These changes have been applied because this whole Notary/Heir thingy was waayyy too slow to be competitive. Especially when you factor in the tug-of-war for the Letter. But now, I’d say it is a little bit more worth it.
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5151 on: March 29, 2020, 02:26:47 pm »
+1

Popping in with more pre-judging stuff -

if you make a revision to your card, please also make a new post in this thread telling me you did so.

Probably not remotely balanced, but I love States and Artifacts and wish more had been done with them. And I love the theme of Nocturne.

(One copy of each State, like Lost in the Woods.)

Companion - Action - $5: Exchange this for a Toy. If you did, take Loyal, Friendly, or Naive.

Toy - Action - $1*: +1 Card, +1 Action. While this is in play, when you gain a Companion, you may exchange this for a Companion. (This is not in the Supply.)

Loyal - State: When you play an Action card, you may ignore its instructions and instead get +1 Card and +1 Action.

Friendly - State: When another player gains a card, you may discard a copy of it for +2 Cards.

Naive - State: At the start of your turn, you may discard any number of cards for +$1 each.

(One copy of each State, like Lost in the Woods.)

How many copies of Toy are there?
Can you explain the use case for the Loyal state? Why would I want to have that?

I got to test my entry a little bit and in the light of what I’ve seen, I’d like to apply a small modification to the Heir card. So this is what my entry looks like now:

Heir now produces + and has an extra option for the player to trade another Action card for a Gold. This allows you to keep your Heir if you want to wait to have the Letter to double Gold.

These changes have been applied because this whole Notary/Heir thingy was waayyy too slow to be competitive. Especially when you factor in the tug-of-war for the Letter. But now, I’d say it is a little bit more worth it.

Is it intentional that Letter no longer works with Heir when you aren't exchanging the Heir themselves?

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: March 29, 2020, 03:39:37 pm »
+1

Kudos for the proactive pre judging.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: March 29, 2020, 03:40:47 pm »
+1

Kudos for the proactive pre judging.

Inside baseball look at this? I'm procrastinating on things I should Actually Be Doing

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #5154 on: March 29, 2020, 05:01:10 pm »
+1

Is it intentional that Letter no longer works with Heir when you aren't exchanging the Heir themselves?

It is. The Letter only works when you are exchanging the Heir.
Bottom text

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: March 29, 2020, 06:17:28 pm »

Welcome!

Your idea seems interesting and balanced, at least at a glance.

I like the "pay to upgrade" idea. Pension is a powerful terminal draw, slightly better than Hunting Grounds and often also better than Royal Blacksmith. And in Kingdoms without other splitters, Guest Room and Pension have the net effects of 2 Labs or Village + Smithy. That sucks in comparison, but if there are other villages, you can ignore Guest Room.

So yeah, pretty great design overall.

Thanks for the nice feedback!

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: March 30, 2020, 02:04:31 am »

We've tried several versions of this concept in our game with an Event, Artifacts, Smuggle tokens and trashing for a non-Supply card (like Hermit or Urchin). But I saw this contest and really wanted to jump in. So exchange? Sure. And who doesn't love Embargo tokens? 

add "width=250" in the starting img tag (or click "quote" on this post to see what i did)

welcome to the board

spheremonk

• Bishop
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: March 30, 2020, 02:07:51 am »
+1

Thank you!

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: March 30, 2020, 02:27:11 am »
+1

How many copies of Toy are there?
Can you explain the use case for the Loyal state? Why would I want to have that?
Hadn't thought about the number of Toys, probably just 10.

As for Loyal, the use case is the same as Way of the Pig-- it mitigates terminal collisions and lets you put more copies of a terminal in your deck than you need without clogging it up. Remember that using Loyal is optional.

Supernova888

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Supernova888
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: March 30, 2020, 10:12:37 am »
+1

I know I technically posted something saying I would revise my card, but here's an explicit message saying I revised my card idea just in case!

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #5160 on: March 30, 2020, 10:16:41 am »
+3

Collier, Action $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may gain a Copper to your hand.
Once this turn, when you discard a Copper from play, you may exchange it for a Silver.

Slowly turn your Coppers into Silvers. Or, play it as a Peddler that gains Silvers.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5161 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:19 am »
+2

All cards that exchange cards for other cards other than specific ones need to say from the Supply. Exchanging isn't limited to cards in the Supply like gaining is, so a lot of the entries let you exchange Estates for Prizes or something similar as they are worded now.

Maybe? The rules are silent on this, because there are no official cards that use Exchange without saying "Exchange for a [specific card]". Basically "exchange for a cheaper card" or "exchange for an action card" are undefined concepts in official Dominion. A fan-card rule of "Exchanging must be from the supply unless it is naming a specific card" seems just as good, if not better, than "exchanging can be from anywhere unless it is limited by the instruction". It seems likely to me that if Donald ever did create a "exchange for a card" type text; then he would create a rule worded the same as the rule for gaining.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5162 on: March 30, 2020, 10:44:17 am »

Here they are again, with a couple of minor language tweaks and in the right format. Please let me know what you think.

Please either remove the other post with the giant images; or use the edit feature to replace the giant images with smaller ones. Thanks!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: March 30, 2020, 12:29:53 pm »
+1

All cards that exchange cards for other cards other than specific ones need to say from the Supply. Exchanging isn't limited to cards in the Supply like gaining is, so a lot of the entries let you exchange Estates for Prizes or something similar as they are worded now.

Maybe? The rules are silent on this, because there are no official cards that use Exchange without saying "Exchange for a [specific card]". Basically "exchange for a cheaper card" or "exchange for an action card" are undefined concepts in official Dominion. A fan-card rule of "Exchanging must be from the supply unless it is naming a specific card" seems just as good, if not better, than "exchanging can be from anywhere unless it is limited by the instruction". It seems likely to me that if Donald ever did create a "exchange for a card" type text; then he would create a rule worded the same as the rule for gaining.

Right, just like default gaining.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spheremonk

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5164 on: March 30, 2020, 12:55:40 pm »
+1

We've tried several versions of this concept in our game with an Event, Artifacts, Smuggle tokens and trashing for a non-Supply card (like Hermit or Urchin). But I saw this contest and really wanted to jump in. So exchange? Sure. And who doesn't love Embargo tokens? 

Please let me know what you think.

spheremonk

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5165 on: March 30, 2020, 12:57:38 pm »
+2

My apologies, Gendo. I'm new to this. I think I fixed it.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5166 on: March 30, 2020, 01:34:14 pm »
+2

My apologies, Gendo. I'm new to this. I think I fixed it.

One advice: if you wonder how other people format things, just use the quote option. Then you see it.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5167 on: March 30, 2020, 03:08:52 pm »

26 hour warning.

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: March 31, 2020, 09:20:40 am »
+1

Set up:
Place the General pile in the Supply. Set aside 7 Military piles and the Resupply pile (Resupply pile has 30 cards) (these piles are not in the Supply.)
2-3 player games:
General pile: 10 cards
Each Military pile : 5 cards
4-6 player games:
General pile: 20 cards
Each Military pile : 10 cards

Military card rules:
1. If you cannot exchange a Military card, because there are no Generals remaining in the Supply, return the Military card to its pile and gain a card from the Supply costing up to $1 more than the General.
Aside from the Reactions, all Military cards are required to be exchanged for a General when discarded from play. If the General pile runs empty, players still need to return the Military cards. Gaining a more expensive card is your compensation for not being able to get your General back.
2. Whenever a player plays a Military card that forces any number of other players to trash Military card(s), the player who played that card gains a Resupply.
Think of Resupply as things your troops need, but normal folks don’t really need.
3. When a player is forced to discard a Duration card out of turn, any cards set aside on or under the Duration card are also discarded. 
This a clarification for Surprise.

Recommended Set-Up #1

Recommended Set-Up #2

General ($4) - (Action)
+1 Action
+$2
You may play a Military card from your hand.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a card from one of the set aside Military piles. If this card is trashed, return it to the General pile.
- You, the ruler of your kingdom, can appoint a general to lead your military campaigns. Your general sends out troops, who complete objectives, then return to camp. (The asterisk in the cost in the image is a mistake.)

(?) Resupply (?) ($3*) - Treasure
$3
+$1 if you have at least one Military card in play.
When you play this, it’s worth $1 less per Resupply in play (counting this).
(This is not in the Supply.)
-What is Resupply? It could be supplies you bring (Supply Line), supplies you commandeer (Captives), or supplies you loot (when trashing another player’s Military card). Your army needs supplies, but the more you have, the less you need and the more cumbersome it all becomes. And these supplies are more valuable to your army than to your regular folk (hence the +$1 line). I struggled to find the right way to word this card, but this is what I settled on.

Officers ($4*) - (Action - Military)
+$2
+1 VP Token
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for any 2 different cards from the set aside Military piles. If you don’t, exchange this for a General.
-Officers have money, hence the +$. And they are like nobles, hence the VP. Officers also set your deck up for future success.

Sergeants ($4*) - (Action - Military)
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may choose a Military card from your hand. Play it twice.
-
When you discard this from play, exchange it for a General.
Sergeants make sure things get done. They inspire their troops complete tasks, and better than could be done otherwise.

War Council ($4*) - (Night - Duration - Attack - Military)
While this is in play, cards (everywhere) cost $1 more for all players. At the start of your next turn, gain a card from the Supply costing up to $5, then exchange this for a General.
The results of good planning are a hard time for your enemies and future boon.

Secret Delegation ($4*) - (Night - Attack - Military)
Gain a Silver onto your deck.
Each other player reveals cards from their deck until revealing an Action card, trashes it, discards the rest, and gains a Silver per $2 it costs (rounding up).
Exchange this for a General.
In the dead of night, your delegation bribes the enemy into standing down.

Rear Guard ($3*) - (Action - Military)
Look through your discard pile. Choose one: trash exactly 2 cards from your discard pile; or +1 Action and put a card from your discard pile into your hand.
-
The Rear Guard appropriately lets you check and manipulate what is behind you, your discard.

Vanguard ($3*) - (Action - Military)
+1 Card
Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. You may trash one of them. Discard two of them. Put the rest back on top of your deck in any order.
-
The Vanguard appropriately lets you check and manipulate what is ahead of you, your deck.

Surprise ($4*) - (Action - Attack - Military)
Each other player discards a Resupply or Silver from their hand, their choice, or reveals they can’t.
If nobody does, gain a Silver.
-
Carefully laid plans are cast asunder when hit by a surprise attack. Just don’t mess up and ambush a spice merchant by mistake.

Maneuver ($4*) - (Action - Attack - Military)
Each other player discards a Military card from their hand or reveals they can’t. If nobody does, +1 Buy and cards cost $1 less this turn.
-
A strategic movement to give your army an advantage. One way or another, this card will do the same for you.

Longbowmen ($3*) - (Action - Attack - Military)
+2 Cards
Each other player reveals the top card of their deck. If its cost is $3 to $6, they trash it.
-
This card does not “discard the rest,” and that’s on purpose. In most kingdoms, that card left on top will be a Copper, Estate, Province, or cheap Action card. Also interesting, this card only affects cards ranging from $3 to $6. Bowmen also have effective ranges...

Foot Soldiers ($3*) - (Action - Attack - Military)
+$2
+1 Buy
Each other player with at least 4 cards in hand discards 2 cards and draws 1.
-
Similar to Militia, but with a weaker attack. However, if you link Foot Soldiers with Sergeants, the attacking affect is akin to Legionary.

Garrison ($2*) - (Action - Reaction - Military)
+4 Cards
Put 2 cards from your hand onto your deck.
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first play this from your hand.
Initially, I dropped the “exchange this for a General” text from the reaction cards just for lack of room, but now I think it adds flavor. When you build a garrison or sign a treaty, you are giving up on offensive war, and transitioning your troops to a defensive posture. For Garrison, I drew on the reaction of the Secret Chamber, but gave it an upgrade. 

Treaty ($2*) - (Action - Reaction - Military)
+1 Card
+1 VP Token
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may first play this from your hand.
Ending wars by signing treaties in medieval Europe normally included redrawing borders, so you virtually gain an estate each time you play a Treaty.

Supply Line ($4*) - (Action - Duration - Military)
Gain a Resupply from the Resupply pile. 
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Buy and + $1.
-
An army needs supplies, and here is the supply train. Beware the Surprise card.

Captives ($4*) - (Action - Military)
+2 Actions
You may discard a card, for +$1.
Gain a Resupply from the Resupply pile. 
-
So you capture some enemy forces... You could use them for labor (+2 Actions), you could sell/ransom them (discard for $), or you could commandeer their weapons and provisions (gain a Resupply).

Edit #1: to fix the post so the pictures are visible.
Edit #2: rewrite the Surprise; a strong attack cantrip seemed overpowered.
Edit #3: rewrite Surprise again to make it no longer “attack” Duration cards.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:47:50 pm by Optimal_Inefficiency »

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5169 on: March 31, 2020, 09:25:03 am »

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong with the images?

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5170 on: March 31, 2020, 09:32:39 am »
+1

You linked to the imgur webpage, not the actual image URL. Right click on each image and select "Copy Image Address" or "Copy URL", then paste that.

Optimal_Inefficiency

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: March 31, 2020, 09:47:02 am »

You linked to the imgur webpage, not the actual image URL. Right click on each image and select "Copy Image Address" or "Copy URL", then paste that.

Thank you, kind sir, for the assistance.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #5172 on: March 31, 2020, 12:54:29 pm »
+1

3. When a player is forced to discard a Duration card out of turn, any cards set aside on or under the Duration card are also discarded. 

Recommended Set-Up #1

Surprise showcases a common mistake I've seen in fan cards. Duration cards only stay in play for tracking reasons, not to prolong their effects. Durations' next turn effects still take place even if that Duration is no longer in play; if you use Bonfire to trash a Hireling, for example, you still get the +1 Card every turn even though the Hireling isn't in play anymore. As worded, this "Attack" mostly helps your opponents my helping prevent their Durations from missing the reshuffle, among other things.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5173 on: March 31, 2020, 01:00:04 pm »
+2

Recommended Set-Up #1

Surprise showcases a common mistake I've seen in fan cards. Duration cards only stay in play for tracking reasons, not to prolong their effects. Durations' next turn effects still take place even if that Duration is no longer in play; if you use Bonfire to trash a Hireling, for example, you still get the +1 Card every turn even though the Hireling isn't in play anymore. As worded, this "Attack" mostly helps your opponents my helping prevent their Durations from missing the reshuffle, among other things.

An example of those "among other things", your opponents would be able to use their Hirelings multiple times!

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: March 31, 2020, 01:24:19 pm »

Last minute pre-judgment question:

Collier, Action $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may gain a Copper to your hand.
Once this turn, when you discard a Copper from play, you may exchange it for a Silver.

Slowly turn your Coppers into Silvers. Or, play it as a Peddler that gains Silvers.

"Once this turn" = once per Collier you've played or once period?
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.