Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547073 times)

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5125 on: March 27, 2020, 07:43:53 am »
+6

You need two to get one.

Piles:
10 Small Slimes
8 Big Slimes
4 Titanic slimes
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:14:20 am by pubby »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: March 27, 2020, 09:34:19 am »

You need two to get one.

I really like the idea here but I am not sure Titanic Slime is better than two Big Slimes. Maybe give Titanic Slime an attack? If it was +2 Cards, +2 Actions, Each other player gains a curse, it would truly be horrific.
I am also not sure if Big Slime isn't too strong a card to get of two small slimes but it might be given you have to pull off a Treasure Map like combo.

Supernova888

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Supernova888
  • Respect: +27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: March 27, 2020, 10:19:56 am »
+1

Love the exchange mechanic, even if it's tricky to implement. Here's my stab at it:

Devil • $0* • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may topdeck a card.
At the start of Clean-Up, exchange this for an Angel.
(This is not in the Supply).

Where are we topdecking a card from? our hand? in play? Also can you rephrase this? - "topdeck" isn't a keyword.

Thank you for the feedback! Always forget that "Topdeck" isn't a Dominion term - I used it with the intention of topdecking a card from your hand. (I realize that isn't good, but it can help if you have an Angel in your hand - thus "may.") Devil has been updated in my original post to reflect this.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #67: Exchange
« Reply #5128 on: March 27, 2020, 01:50:41 pm »
+1

EDIT: This is no longer my submission.

Lets you gain Horses or upgrade your Horses with better equipment, letting you make use of them more much longer.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:37:34 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: March 27, 2020, 03:05:48 pm »

Lets you gain Horses or upgrade your Horses with better equipment, letting you make use of them more much longer.
This isn't a reaction. This doesn't really seem like worth using to exchange, it's usually not that hard to grab a bunch of Destriers.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5130 on: March 27, 2020, 03:50:28 pm »
+2

Way of the Bat:

Previous version:

Way of the Bat
Once per turn: +1 Action. Exchange this for a differently named card from the Supply with the same cost, putting it in your hand.

Exchange fits better than gain, so you can't use it to get on gain benefits or discards from Exile mat.

Once per turn, because otherwise you could just exchange any action for any other action, willy-nilly. But as a one time per turn, seems like it could be interesting.

Early game, you can start with a $3 action and if you need a silver instead, exchange it.
Mid game, draw two terminals, an exchange one for a cantrip.
Late game, maybe you exchange one of your actions for an extra Victory card.

(miscellaneous note: I picked upside down bats, because somehow that seemed more fitting for "exchange")
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:42:24 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: March 27, 2020, 04:17:46 pm »
+1

I dunno how I feel about once-per-turn on a Way; just because it's different than all existing Ways. It feels like a weird exception to the normal rule for Ways.. "When you play an action, you can choose to follow the instructions on a Way instead of following the instructions on the card. Unless that Way says once per turn and you've already used it this turn".

You could get around it with the "if you haven't yet this turn" language like Fortune.

But I could be completely wrong; it's not actually different from the exception that exists on once-per-turn Events. Recommend saying "differently-named" though; to prevent just the silly "free" action you could take for no reason every single turn.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 04:20:09 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: March 27, 2020, 04:57:53 pm »

The obvious way to get rid of the weird once per turn clause, whose only purpose is to prevent loops, is to make the Way nonterminal.
But isn't it already nonterminal?
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: March 27, 2020, 05:00:33 pm »

I dunno how I feel about once-per-turn on a Way; just because it's different than all existing Ways. It feels like a weird exception to the normal rule for Ways.. "When you play an action, you can choose to follow the instructions on a Way instead of following the instructions on the card. Unless that Way says once per turn and you've already used it this turn".

You could get around it with the "if you haven't yet this turn" language like Fortune.

But I could be completely wrong; it's not actually different from the exception that exists on once-per-turn Events. Recommend saying "differently-named" though; to prevent just the silly "free" action you could take for no reason every single turn.

The obvious way to get rid of the weird once per turn clause, whose only purpose is to prevent loops, is to make the Way nonterminal.

It wasn't actually to prevent loops* - it was to prevent (outside of on buy / gain effects) just buying any card that costs $x. i.e. if I could always exchange it, then when I have $5 I don't really need to be picky about which $5 action I buy. Sure it becomes a concern later as piles empty, but definitely not early. Also, I wanted to avoid something like getting several peddlers and being able to exchange all of them for Provinces in one turn. While that is also avoidable by specifying "non-Victory" I did want you to be able to use it for 1 Victory.

* this is a side benefit, of course; which is why I didn't worry about adding "differently named" and opted for less text. I guess it could make a difference with Conspirator - does anything else care about how many actions you've played?

I didn't consider "If you haven't yet this turn", that would work too. I think that's still different than all official Ways, as it usually has the same effect*,  so not sure we get away from that. I actually have a few "once per turn" Ways I'm in process of designing, so I *think* I'm ok with it as a new sub mechanic.

* with +Actions it would let you play actions you may not want to play that turn (e.g. Forager, Death Cart Scholar) just to play them, for Peddler.

I also considered making it terminal, but wanted you to be able to play the exchanged card without needing +Actions from before.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: March 27, 2020, 05:04:01 pm »
+2

* this is a side benefit, of course; which is why I didn't worry about adding "differently named" and opted for less text. I guess it could make a difference with Conspirator - does anything else care about how many actions you've played?

Any + tokens you might have on the pile.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: March 27, 2020, 05:14:43 pm »
+1

Any + tokens you might have on the pile.

Oh yeah, +tokens. I'll likely add differently named then. I did just noticed this would be fun with Knights. Don't like the one you have, exchange it for the next one! (barring of course, poor Sir Martin)

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: March 27, 2020, 05:27:08 pm »

Oh yeah, +tokens. I'll likely add differently named then. I did just noticed this would be fun with Knights. Don't like the one you have, exchange it for the next one! (barring of course, poor Sir Martin)
Would that even work? Wouldn't the Knight you're returning cover up the one you're trying to take, and then you end up getting nothing?

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: March 27, 2020, 05:38:13 pm »
+4

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: March 27, 2020, 06:16:24 pm »

I am not sure Titanic Slime is better than two Big Slimes.
You are onto something. The net effects of 2 Titanic Slimes are +2 Cards and +2 Actions whereas the net effects of Titanic Slime are +3 Cards and +1 Action. So from this perspective it is better, a Lab is better than a Village.
But 2 Titanic Slimes are better in terms of engine consistency.
You mostly want the Titanic Slimes when the Big Slime pile is empty because it replenishes the Big Slime pile for you to gain again. I'm going to cap the Big Slime pile at 8 cards, so chances are you'll get at least one Titanic slime when playing the deck.

Besides that, it's intended that Titanic is a little weak compared to two Bigs because that makes the decision to get one more interesting.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: March 27, 2020, 06:45:29 pm »
+1

Would that even work? Wouldn't the Knight you're returning cover up the one you're trying to take, and then you end up getting nothing?

Meh, you're right. It doesn't matter for any of the official cards, since the always exchange with a different card (well, except changeling).

I've thought more about the "Once per turn":

But I could be completely wrong; it's not actually different from the exception that exists on once-per-turn Events.

Right. If the initial batch of events hadn't had once per turns, then we'd be debating whether a "Once per turn" event were weirdly worded. I think the parallel with "you can spend a buy on an Event, unless it says once per turn" is apt.

An I would prefer to avoid the play an Action as a way and have it do nothing weirdness.

So here's v0.2 with the "differently named" modifier:

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: March 27, 2020, 10:34:42 pm »
+1

Meh, you're right. It doesn't matter for any of the official cards, since the always exchange with a different card (well, except changeling).

Now I'm curious what happens in actual rules when you choose to use Changeling's text when you gain a Changeling... Can you exchange a Changeling for a different Changeling? Of course it doesn't matter as nothing official triggers "when you exchange a card". My guess is that you can; you first return the card you just gained, and then you take the top Changeling (which happens to be the one you just returned).

Theoretically it can matter actually... if you are gaining the Changeling to somewhere other than your discard pile, like with Artisan. If you could exchange it, then the new Changeling would be in your discard pile instead. Rarely what you would want, but it's an edge case.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:35:51 pm by GendoIkari »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #67: Exchange
« Reply #5141 on: March 27, 2020, 10:39:45 pm »
+2

The free-if-it's-your-first-buy effect is there to prevent it from being too terrible while also preventing you from being able to run out the pile too easily.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: March 27, 2020, 11:49:31 pm »
+2

[Sorry, the image has outdated wording]

Job Fair
$4 - Night
Look at top 3 cards of your deck. You may exchange one of them for a card from the Supply costing exactly $1 more or $1 less. Put the rest and the exchanged card on you deck in any order.

Adjuster for the next draw similar to Transmogrify, but unable to get rid of Coppers (unless there are $1 cards in the supply)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:00:38 pm by grep »

Rhodos

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Card Master
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: March 28, 2020, 08:31:27 am »
+7

Hey folks, this is my first entry to the Weekly Design Contest and to the forum in general  :)

So there is the idea that you may upgrade the Guest Room into a Pension by paying for it. This gives you access the this very strong draw, since you don't have to peak 7$ to get it. Also, this combination of cards can provide good deck control on their own, while sometimes you may just want the villagers from Guest Room and keep it.

So what about the art for the cards, might one take images found on google? What about the license or permission to do so?

As I am new, please tell me if I did something wrong. I am willing to learn and improve.

Greetings :)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: March 28, 2020, 10:46:10 am »
+1

Welcome!

Your idea seems interesting and balanced, at least at a glance.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5145 on: March 28, 2020, 05:02:06 pm »
+6

Township
Types: Action
Cost: <8>
+1 Card, +2 Actions, +1 Buy, +$1.
In games using this, when you gain a Gold, you may exchange it for a Township.
Tried a couple variations on this concept of "exchange Gold you gain" before I decided that Gold-gainers really suck because you have to gain a buncha stop cards to use them.  This lets you use Gold gainers to gain engine components (quickly in comparison to Changeling) instead of Golds.  You can also buy Township directly for 8 Debt or indirectly for $6 by buying Gold and exchanging it.  It's the marriage of Bazaar and Market.
Mine Silvers into Townships.  Enclave a Duchy and get a Township.  Make a deal with a Leprechaun for the deed to a Township.  Complete a Treasure Map to find a promised land of 4 Townships.  Skulk comes with a Township to wander around.  The Swashbuckler's booty is actually the friends we made along the way.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: March 29, 2020, 02:03:09 am »
+2

Way of the Recession

Follow this card's instructions, then exchange it for a card costing less than it.

It definitely has ways to create infinte combos, since it gets your cards out of play, but they are pretty hard to pull off so I think it is fine.

The exchanging (versus trash and gain) should make it harder to use this on the last turn to empty piles which is needed since it allows you to "gain" many cards in one turn.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: March 29, 2020, 02:22:57 am »
+2

All cards that exchange cards for other cards other than specific ones need to say from the Supply. Exchanging isn't limited to cards in the Supply like gaining is, so a lot of the entries let you exchange Estates for Prizes or something similar as they are worded now.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 03:03:47 am by Gubump »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5148 on: March 29, 2020, 04:27:08 am »

All cards that exchange cards for other cards other than specific ones need to say from the Supply. Exchanging isn't limited to cards in the Supply like gaining is, so a lot of the entries let you exchange Estates for Prizes or something similar as they are worded now.

good catch. yeah i shouldve been more clear on that. in the interest of not making everyone re-do their card, i'll be assuming an implicit "from the supply" on cards that don't specify a pile - this is on me & my bad instructions - but yeah if you print these off at home you may want to reword them first.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 01:04:54 pm by spineflu »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: March 29, 2020, 08:01:54 am »
+1

Bread should be a reaction. The whole package here is kinda weak especially since you have to use Harvest for any of it to work. I do like the flavor here.
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.