Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546597 times)

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #5000 on: March 13, 2020, 06:45:04 pm »
+1

Physician

Reveal the top three cards of your deck. You may trash any number of them. For each one you trashed, +$1. Discard the others.

Action
$4

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #5001 on: March 14, 2020, 05:00:31 am »
+1

Physician

Reveal the top three cards of your deck. You may trash any number of them. For each one you trashed, +$1. Discard the others.

Action
$4

Looks pretty overpowered, especially in comparison with Doctor.

One province (or colony) for each player actually costs $4 instead of $8. You can use this t3, but probably more useful for endgame.

This probably should be a Project, saying: when you buy this, gain a Victory Card costing up to $4. (cause, you know, cubes)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 05:04:23 am by grrgrrgrr »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: March 14, 2020, 01:52:14 pm »

Wasn't feeling particularly inspired this week. It's a terminal Counterfeit thing, gives less money than Moneylender for trashing Copper but can blow up bigger Treasures for a bunch.

Oops I'm stupid new version:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 03:06:41 pm by Gazbag »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: March 14, 2020, 02:32:05 pm »

Wasn't feeling particularly inspired this week. It's a terminal Counterfeit thing, gives less money than Moneylender for trashing Copper but can blow up bigger Treasures for a bunch.
It gives the same amount of money as Moneylender?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: March 14, 2020, 03:05:31 pm »

It gives the same amount of money as Moneylender?

Yeah so originally it didn't trash and was supposed to be a terminal Gold with a bonus at $5, but I thought that stunk and it didn't even really work for the contest so I changed it and thought because it trashes the Copper now it gives $1 less... So basically I'm an idiot.

Let's change it to this:

Do you really want to triple that Cursed Gold?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: March 14, 2020, 10:27:15 pm »
+3

Cesspool
Action - $4
+$4
Each other player may trash a card from their hand
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:06:52 am by NoMoreFun »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: March 15, 2020, 07:27:16 am »

Trash Collector
Action - $4
+$4
My hunch is that this is better than Bishop without being crazy: in non-mirrors you need another trasher.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: March 15, 2020, 12:48:49 pm »

Trash Collector
Action - $4
+$4
My hunch is that this is better than Bishop without being crazy: in non-mirrors you need another trasher.
This isn't really like Bishop, the point of Bishop is to get vp, not to get money. Bishop doesn't help you hit 5, this very much does.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: March 15, 2020, 01:34:08 pm »

Trash Collector
Action - $4
+$4
This isn't really like Bishop, the point of Bishop is to get vp, not to get money. Bishop doesn't help you hit 5, this very much does.

I think they were comparing the cards due to the "each other player may trash" clause.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: March 15, 2020, 01:44:59 pm »

Trash Collector
Action - $4
+$4
True that. It is nonetheless natural to compare Cesspool with Bishop as they have an identical cost as well as an identical benefit for the other players.
Do you think that there is better card to compare Cesspool with?

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #5010 on: March 15, 2020, 06:01:00 pm »
+1

24 hour warning

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: March 16, 2020, 05:20:11 pm »
+1

Super late post.  Feel free to disregard.

Consolidate
Types: Action
Cost: $5
Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Trash up to 2 of them. If you trash 2 that share a type, gain a card sharing a type with them that is differently named than either of them. Discard any number of the others, and put the rest back in any order.
Trash 2 Estates for a Province, trash Treasures for Golds, or maybe you'll want to trash Copper+Estate to reduce stop cards.
It trashes from the top so it's harder to align cards to get it to behave. It can't gain a card with the same name so you can't drain the Province pile with Province\Estate→Province.  Estate\Consolidate rush looks pretty dodgy in a quick test because Consolidate has to find 2 Estates in the top 4 to trash (and, if contested, there are only 7 Estates per player).
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: March 16, 2020, 06:04:13 pm »

Super late post.  Feel free to disregard.

Consolidate
Types: Action
Cost: $5
Look at the top 4 cards of your deck. Trash up to 2 of them. If you trash 2 that share a type, gain a card sharing a type with them that is differently named than either of them. Discard any number of the others, and put the rest back in any order.
Trash 2 Estates for a Province, trash Treasures for Golds, or maybe you'll want to trash Copper+Estate to reduce stop cards.
It trashes from the top so it's harder to align cards to get it to behave. It can't gain a card with the same name so you can't drain the Province pile with Province\Estate→Province.  Estate\Consolidate rush looks pretty dodgy in a quick test because Consolidate has to find 2 Estates in the top 4 to trash (and, if contested, there are only 7 Estates per player).
If you trash 2 Shelters, then would you be forced to attempt to gain the other Shelter but fail, right?
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

BlueHairedMeerkat

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: March 16, 2020, 08:01:13 pm »
+1

I don't know what time zone these forums are on but here goes:

Overflowing Riches
Treasure - $5
+$4
+1 Buy
Each other player gains +2 Coffers.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:02:19 pm by BlueHairedMeerkat »

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: March 16, 2020, 08:32:42 pm »
+1

Consolidate and Overflowing Riches included
I've got more work than expected today, will finish judging closer to midnight Pacific time

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: March 16, 2020, 09:25:09 pm »
+1

I haven't been overly impressed with my own entry this time around but if I do rank then I'll fix up that pesky capital T where it shouldn't be. Otherwise just to be clear I'm going with the second pet mouse of my last entry.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: March 17, 2020, 02:07:32 am »
+4

Thanks everyone. This one was pretty hard to judge, many decent submissions and no obvious leader.

Content #65 "Get Money Fast" Results
Vestry by mandioca15
Replace your initial Coppers and Estates with a Province. More likely, you want to replace three crappy cards with a Gold or some decent $5, or even trash two cards and get a replacement Vestry. One shot is more strength than weakness, as you don't have to deal with a dead Chapel.

Pet Mouse by somekindoftony
Situative beast great you have a supply of $5s like Count or Vampire. Probably you will want it when you start greening, but it's pretty swingy as it has to be drawn with some cheese. Unlike Rats, mice are happy to eat mice, which make them more controllable

Strategist by [TP] Inferno
It's a mega Secret Cave, but without cantrip effect. The on gain effect is a desperado for clogs, when you need that last province badly but don't think that the hand can ever produce $8 - sacrifice two turns for $5 boost.

Stocks by Aquila
You probably want that Goons on turn two, you got it regardless of the initial copper split - for the cost of not buying Stocks when you don't know what to do with $7 at the endgame. Pretty disruptive but balanced and fun. FINALIST

Merchant Village by D782802859
With a powerful on gain effect, it's unbeatable at the opening, which make it too good for 5/2. Maybe without a +$ it is not bad for $4.

Lease by X-tra
It's a Chameleoned Pooka for Estates, essentially. As there are fewer Estates in the deck initially, and fewer ways to gain them, the payoff looks reasonable. FINALIST

Cheat by scolapasta
Nice and concise, and gives early access to $6 cards to everyone. The delayed penalty concept is neat, but the penalty is too mild, this card is strictly better than double Borrow.

Exhibition by majiponi
Is it quadratic? For example, if there are four cards with different names, will it give $12? Probably the author meant pairs of cards with the same name, e.g. Exhibition + 4 Coppers will sum up as $8

Bootleg by kru5h
During development time it's a self-Delusion forcing you to buy a Gold instead of an engine part (or vice versa in Action-poor kingdoms). At the final stage it's a poisonous pill not letting you buy Victory cards when you need them the most. Unlike Contraband, the +Buy support seems unwarranted

House Brew by LibraryAdventurer
Treasure Wine Merchant! Buying a Ruins as a recovery cost is neat - if it was the only option, it would open some extra strategic deepness of running out of Ruins

Foreclosure by mail-mi
Nice minimalistic design. In a kingdom with plenty of money and no extra buys it's a hard decision when to buy, not unlike trashing a Hovel.

Way of the Cow by grrgrrgrr
Self-Salvaging might seem overpowered for a Way, but as it's limited to Actions, it's fine. I would not be surprised if a similar Way exists in the upcoming release. FINALIST

Debt Bondage by segura
This will probably work even in the world of eternal spring, as later purchase means generally larger deck and longer time to play. It's a bold commitment comparable to Cathedral. FINALIST

Glazier by spineflu
Chameleoned Shepherd disguised as Artificer. In the beginning it's an unreliable $4 gainer, similar to Ironworks which occasionally rewards with a Gold. Later in the game it is not overpowered as most of the nonzero cost cards are better than Silver. I understand the need for a small penalty, but -1 Card would probably work better.

Physician by alion8me
Strong trasher than does not reduce the hand and gives some benefit - this costs more than $5 to me.

Fabricator by Gazbag
The original Fabricator was strictly better than Moneylender, and this one is crazy. Would be fine with trashing for $5. The Cursed Gold kludge to fit the content seems too artificial, probably "when you gain this gain a Silver" would work.

Cesspool by NoMoreFun
Tough decision when it's the only trasher, but no-brainer in a trasher rich kingdom. You probably want to grab this out of curiosity. Special thanks for not giving +Buy. FINALIST

Consolidate by Fragasnap
A smart twist of Sentry. One of a few cards where gaining an early Province is actually useful. Turning two Coppers into a Gold is extremely strong too, and it keeps the treasures in hand intact, so you still can buy your engine part. This card starts super strong, but turns into a scout by midgame.  FINALIST

Overflowing Riches by BlueHairedMeerkat
It's a Council Room for money in a treasure format. Probably as much fun as the original Council Room, but with a stronger taste of optionality, not every deck will equally win from it. Encourages asymmetric strategies, which is cool. FINALIST

Short list: Stocks, Lease, Way of the Cow, Debt Bondage, Cesspool, Consolidate, Overflowing Riches
Runner up: Stocks by Aquila, Debt Bondage by segura
Winner: Way of the Cow by grrgrrgrr

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: March 17, 2020, 06:28:22 am »

Exhibition by majiponi
Is it quadratic? For example, if there are four cards with different names, will it give $12? Probably the author meant pairs of cards with the same name, e.g. Exhibition + 4 Coppers will sum up as $8
No. You earn $0 if you reveal 4 Coppers. $2 if you reveal 4 Coppers and 2 Estates. $4 if you reveal Copper, Necropolis, Overgrown Estate, and Hovel.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: March 17, 2020, 06:29:51 am »
+5

Ow wow, didn't expect tbh. Anyway, next contest is:

Contest #66 Design a split pile that uses an official card

That's right, this week's challenge is to design a card that shares its pile with a specified official card.

Example of a nomination:
Card: Ocean Treasure
Comes with: Pearl Diver
Order: First Pearl Diver, then Ocean Treasure

Then I interpret this as a split pile, having 5 copies of Pearl Diver above, and 5 copies of Ocean Treasure below. A kingdom cannot have this split pile, and a pile of 10 Pearl Divers.

Of course, you can also specify this by showcasing the randomizer of the pile.

Removed cards are allowed as well, and so are cards from the upcoming expansion.

EDIT: You can also use cards that already appear in a split pile (like Patrician), and you don't have to use the other cards of the pile.
EDIT2: Non-supply cards are NOT permitted. This includes Zombies.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:56:24 am by grrgrrgrr »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: March 17, 2020, 06:39:20 am »

Can you use a card that is already part of a split pile?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: March 17, 2020, 07:18:54 am »

Can you use a card that is already part of a split pile?
Yes. I edited the OP.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: March 17, 2020, 07:57:18 am »
+2

Bookkeeper
Action - $3
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
You may discard any number of cards for +$1 each

Setup: Place 5 copies of Bookkeeper on top of 5 copies of Counting House

Concept: Bookkeeper ensures a few of the things that make Counting House work are in the kingdom with it, and it provides a nice synergy, but both it and Counting House combo better with other cards

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5022 on: March 17, 2020, 09:38:41 am »

Edit: this was disqualified. New entry downthread.

Card: Zombie Architect (below)
Comes with: Zombie Mason
Order: first Zombie Mason, then Zombie Architect

Zombie Architect • $4 • Action - Zombie
+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may trash or discard any of them. Put the rest back in any order.
-
While this is in play, Copper costs $2 more.
(This happens after any cost reduction)

Its a setup card for Zombie Mason, basically;
Theres actually no great reason for it to be a zombie other than to keep the pile consistent, or if you wanna toss one of these in with your Necromancer prep cards.

The cost increase specifies "more" so if you get four of these in play, copper costs $8 and can be remodeled accordingly; also I specified how/when the cost increase would work.

Revisions:
removed +1 Card
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:06:11 pm by spineflu »

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: March 17, 2020, 09:53:33 am »
+1

Split pile with Zombie Mason (which goes on top of this)

+1 Card
+1 Action
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may trash or discard any of them. Put the rest back in any order.
-

Its a setup card for Zombie Mason, basically; Theres actually no great reason for it to be a zombie other than to keep the pile consistent, or if you wanna toss one of these in with your Necromancer prep cards. The cost increase specifies "more" so if you get four of these in play, copper costs $8 and can be remodeled accordingly; also I specified how the cost increase would work.
I like the idea here, but this is strictly better than Sentry, which has the same ability but with only two cards, unless you're buying copper for some reason.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #5024 on: March 17, 2020, 09:59:03 am »

Split pile with Zombie Mason (which goes on top of this)

+1 Card
+1 Action
-

Its a setup card for Zombie Mason, basically; Theres actually no great reason for it to be a zombie other than to keep the pile consistent, or if you wanna toss one of these in with your Necromancer prep cards. The cost increase specifies "more" so if you get four of these in play, copper costs $8 and can be remodeled accordingly; also I specified how the cost increase would work.
I like the idea here, but this is strictly better than Sentry, which has the same ability but with only two cards, unless you're buying copper for some reason.

you gotta clear out five Zombie Masons first, a card that on its own is not very good.
Altho I suppose I could drop the +card. That'd probably even bump the font size up.

edit: I did that
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 10:32:49 am by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.