Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546510 times)

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4975 on: March 10, 2020, 03:22:16 pm »
+1

clarification q: does our card have to work regardless of shelters/estates/heirloom situation?
Relying on the existence or non-existence of shelters, or on something generic as $5 Actions in the kingdom is fine.
Relying on not having heirlooms is fine; relying on having a specific heirloom not bound with the card is marginal; your own heirloom would be a part of the card design, so it is fine.
Relying on drawing a specific Boon or Hex is good as well.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 03:25:25 pm by grep »

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: March 10, 2020, 03:25:13 pm »

clarification q: does our card have to work regardless of shelters/estates/heirloom situation?
Relying on the existence or non-existence of shelters, or on something generic as $5 Actions in the kingdom is fine. Heirloom is a part of the card, so it is allowed. Relying on drawing a specific Boon or Hex is good as well.

How about relying on Baker being in the setup (for +1 Coffers)?
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: March 10, 2020, 03:34:49 pm »
+1

Relying on the existence or non-existence of shelters, or on something generic as $5 Actions in the kingdom is fine. Heirloom is a part of the card, so it is allowed. Relying on drawing a specific Boon or Hex is good as well.

How about relying on Baker being in the setup (for +1 Coffers)?
If +1 Coffer is a part of your card setup, that is fine. Relying on other specific cards is at least marginal

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: March 10, 2020, 04:02:44 pm »
+3

Here's Merchant Village, a village with a bit of coin that also Mints on gain. However, it does decrease hand size, so don't go nuts.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: March 10, 2020, 04:19:45 pm »

This cannot spike before T4 and only with a Lab, so gotta open Encampment-Strategist. Ignoring the contest rules, this looks far weaker (discontinuous) than Secret Chamber, which was already quite weak.
Alright then. Thanks for the feedback. How about I increase the money reward and/or decrease the discard requirement? Say, discard 4 cards to get $6 next turn? Or maybe make it a Night card that is gained to hand?
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4980 on: March 10, 2020, 04:52:10 pm »

This cannot spike before T4 and only with a Lab, so gotta open Encampment-Strategist. Ignoring the contest rules, this looks far weaker (discontinuous) than Secret Chamber, which was already quite weak.
Alright then. Thanks for the feedback. How about I increase the money reward and/or decrease the discard requirement? Say, discard 4 cards to get $6 next turn? Or maybe make it a Night card that is gained to hand?

i mean the problem is the soonest you can get/play the card is turn 3, meaning the soonest you get the payoff of the card is turn 4, which is also the soonest you can buy the province.

If it was a night card that gained to hand, you wouldn't have the cards to trigger its secret cave effect because you played them to buy the card.

if it was an action that did the Nomad Camp thing, that might work, maybe?

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: March 10, 2020, 04:57:14 pm »

i mean the problem is the soonest you can get/play the card is turn 3, meaning the soonest you get the payoff of the card is turn 4, which is also the soonest you can buy the province.

If it was a night card that gained to hand, you wouldn't have the cards to trigger its secret cave effect because you played them to buy the card.

if it was an action that did the Nomad Camp thing, that might work, maybe?
Ok, maybe that would work.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: March 10, 2020, 05:09:02 pm »

Here's Merchant Village, a village with a bit of coin that also Mints on gain. However, it does decrease hand size, so don't go nuts.
I like it, a $4.5 with a powerful on-gain effect. But it is pretty nuts in 5/2.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4983 on: March 10, 2020, 05:14:42 pm »
+1

Lessor/Bogus Lands - X-tra (http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg825412#msg825412)
As you pointed out, this can technically be played more than once, but I’ll judge it as if it could not be. :) Bogus Lands is quite brutal. A stop card you can’t trash, although now there are options to get rid of them via Exciling. Even so, players will generally have no answer for dealing with all the Bogus Lands they are getting. They do sort of self defend, but I’m not sure how that will play out. Building anything around Lessor’s Victory card cost reduction seems wonky as you can lose them at any point, so you probably only want 1 or 2 Lessors purely to junk your opponents. I appreciate all the subtle interactions the mechanics of Lessor and Bogus Lands offer, but I don’t really see all the un-trashable junking and emphasis on building a mega-turn with that junk in your deck working out. If you’ve done any playtesting I’d love to hear how it went though!

Thank you for the feedback! We actually did playtest Lessor/Bogus Lands, but only in 2-player games. Here’s what we discovered:
  • Lessor shapes the game. Its mere presence makes you think twice before trashing those starting Estates. Lessor makes you want to grab alt-VP cards to further protect your deck against Bogus Lands attacks.
  • Lessor is even more powerful when the starting cards are Shelters. It’s way more likely to hit a non-Victory card with them (unless you hit an Overgrown Estate, in which case all you want to do is eat your hat).
  • Lessor is swingy. You hit your opponent’s Copper? Great! They gain a Bogus Lands. Now they play theirs and hit one of your starting Estates? To the trash he goes. No hard feelings, right?
  • Lessor is way more powerful in 3-players or more games. He has less chances of being trashed. Because of that, this is a card whose value changes depending on the number of players.
  • Bogus Lands would benefit indeed from the Exile mechanism. Or Native Village. Or Island. Anything to get them away, lol.
Anyway, thanks again!

Alright, onto my entry:

A Baron-Moneylender hybrid. You have more Coppers in your starting deck, so Moneylender has more things to trash. Takes more Actions to get all of those , but eh.

Compared to Baron (they have the same cost):

+ Gets an extra for interacting with a Victory card (most of the time, an Estate, just like the Baron).
+ Trashes the Estates so that they do not clog your deck anymore.
- Since it doesn't simply discard the Estates and cannot auto-regain them like Baron does, your supply of trashing Estates is limited and you'll have to regain new ones (or any other Victory card) to give Lease more ammo.
- Speaking of which, Lease has no +Buy, unlike Baron.

Do you guys believe that this should be priced at instead? Death Cart can be a good comparison. It gives + as well and is also priced at
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 02:07:45 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: March 10, 2020, 05:28:18 pm »

Do you guys believe that this should be priced at instead? Death Cart can be a good comparison. It gives + as well and is also priced at
This isn't going to get bought at 5 unless it's buffed in other areas, I think the fact that it can't normally trash non-estates balances it out, and we've seen similarly strong cards. I'm not even sure if it's more ridiculous than the official card Bounty Hunter.

I like it, a $4.5 with a powerful on-gain effect. But it is pretty nuts in 5/2.
I'm considering reining back the on-gain to 3 cards trashed, it would still be a strong card but perhaps a bit less powerful.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: March 10, 2020, 06:50:03 pm »

This has to specify "trash up to 4 cards you have in play." As worded, you can trash other people's Duration cards with this.

EDIT: It's also way too strong for its cost. Way of the Chameleon and the lack of +Buy are the only things preventing it from being strictly better than Festival, and everything else about it much more than makes up for that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 09:04:06 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: March 10, 2020, 10:01:11 pm »
+4

Who doesn't want to Cheat at Dominion:

Of course, if you do, you will get Caught in the Act:

Cheat is basically a double sized Borrow* and therefore has double the penalty. One difference is that you can defer the penalty by "laying low", only having 1 Action and 1 Buy per turn (not including start of turn Actions as from Prince, Ghost, Captain, etc). Early game you may not care, but eventually you'll definitely want those bonuses. (and you can't cheat again, until you pay the penalty)

* in the rare game that has both Cheat and Borrow you can do both for +$3, with the penalties stacking.

Questions:
• is drawing two fewer cards per turn enough of a penalty? (i.e $2 is likely better than double $1)

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: March 10, 2020, 10:49:14 pm »

Exhibition
cost $5 - Action
Reveal your hand.
For each 2 cards with different names, +$2.

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: March 11, 2020, 12:05:29 am »
+2

A super-Contraband with a super-penalty.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 01:45:06 am by kru5h »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: March 11, 2020, 12:57:11 am »
+1

I've posted this one before at some point, but not for a contest:

<image deleted because images are a pain.>

House Brew
Treasure - Reserve - Looter
+
+2 Buys.
When you play this, put it on your tavern mat.
-
When you buy a Ruins, +. When you buy any zero-cost card, discard this from your tavern mat.

EDIT: added the looter type.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 03:52:32 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: March 11, 2020, 02:56:01 am »

New World
Event - $3
Gain a Victory card with a cost in $ less than the number of tokens on this, then remove a token from this.
---
Setup: Put 9 tokens on this

You can open province - but is that a good idea?

This is no longer my entry
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 10:16:28 pm by NoMoreFun »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: March 11, 2020, 07:29:24 am »
+1

This runs into player count issues (unless you want this to be asymmetric). In my opinion this is a better implementation of the early Province idea.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: March 11, 2020, 11:01:28 am »

House Brew
Treasure - Reserve
+
+2 Buys.
-
When you buy a Ruins, +. When you buy any zero-cost card, discard this from your tavern mat.

EDIT: I don't know why the image looks like it says -. That is, of course, supposed to be a + sign. ...And the image doesn't say reserve. Seems like I always make mistakes when making images. That's probably why I often don't bother with images.
Should also have the looter type, since you mention ruins
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:15 pm »

House Brew
Treasure - Reserve
+
+2 Buys.
-

EDIT: I don't know why the image looks like it says -. That is, of course, supposed to be a + sign. ...And the image doesn't say reserve. Seems like I always make mistakes when making images. That's probably why I often don't bother with images.
And the reserve type
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: March 11, 2020, 01:50:30 pm »

One province (or colony) for each player actually costs $4 instead of $8. You can use this t3, but probably more useful for endgame.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4995 on: March 11, 2020, 01:54:10 pm »

Foreclosure is basically a BM enabler. With only 3 „real“ Provinces per player on average in 2P and 3P games, building up an engine becomes weaker whereas greening early via money and then later spending $4 on a Province (once your deck becomes crappy) becomes stronger.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: March 11, 2020, 02:41:24 pm »

I chose Horse because it fits well with the newfound Dominion canon. Way of the Chicken, Way of the Cow and Way of the Chinese Animal would fit as well.

EDIT: Replaced it by Way of the Cow cause, y'know, Way of the Horse has been revealed (to have the predictable effect).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 02:27:52 pm by grrgrrgrr »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: March 11, 2020, 03:50:36 pm »

<snip image>

House Brew
Treasure - Reserve
+
+2 Buys.
-

And the reserve type

It does have the reserve type, and I can add the looter type.
I don't think I'll bother making images anymore...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 03:54:22 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: March 11, 2020, 05:55:09 pm »
+1

Who cares about eternally paying back debt when you can own the Kingdom after 13 turns?

This uses the Season mechanic to scale well. First I wanted to do this as an Event but you gotta track the Debt anyway. Furthermore an Event or a hand-gaining Night or a "play this when you gain it" (an idea I briefly considered) are too automatic in the endgame, you simply go for them if you cannot hit $8 in one of the latest turns in order to reach it next turn.
I have absolutely no idea about the parameters. It should very likely be terminal but how many Coffers it should yield is a wild guess; this requires testing with many numbers to see whether it works (or is broken no matter what values you use).

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4999 on: March 12, 2020, 01:50:09 pm »
+1

Glazier • $4 • Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal and discard from your hand any number of cards that cost more than $0. You may gain a card costing up to $2 per card discarded. If you did, take your -$1 token.

It's a riff on Artificer - no peddler action this time, just 💪gains🏋️. The reveal is there for accountability and to sidestep the ongoing militia discussion (see the General Discussion forum). Originally this required this to gain the same type of card that you discarded (and that all discarded cards share a type); that would make it bad for gaining actions.
The penalty token is there for a small nerf - it's very good in overdraw situations but needs a little something to balance it out, lest it be too good of a gainer. The somethings don't get much littler than the -$1 token.

Obvs this is bad with significant cost reduction.

The route to a turn 3 province with this is to open this + a card that costs more than $0, and get all 3 estates + the other card between the starting t3 hand + the card you draw from this.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 03:29:01 pm by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.