Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547997 times)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4875 on: February 25, 2020, 03:09:01 am »
+1

Study Group
Action - $6
Gain an Action card costing less than this.
For each $1 it costs less than this, +1 Villager

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:10:46 pm by NoMoreFun »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4876 on: February 25, 2020, 05:33:16 am »
+1

Contest #62: results
I don't disagree with your assessment (nor your winners - my projected list looked basically identical except i liked gondolier more) but I do want to point out that my card had a revision prior to judging
[...]

Choose one:
$2 and +1 Buy;
or $1 and +2 Buys
-
When you buy this, you may overbuy. For each extra buy you spend, +1 Card when drawing your next hand during Clean up

overbuy is like overpay but you spend buys rather than $+potions. Should be pretty straightforward from that explanation but if you've got any questions, let me know.

Made some revisions based on feedback from the discord#variants
[...]
Sorry, so you did. This is a distinct improvement; now you can choose less $ if you don't need it and instead get more cards in your next hand, but again, if you don't mind another Tea in the deck.

Contest #62: results

Social experiment ([TP] Inferno)
Okay, nice feedback. You are right about the need to buy junk to get Villagers, but my thought process was, this is a Lab+ if you use a Villager on it, so it might not be so bad, but yeah, to keep up the Villager supply, you need to buy multiple cards every turn, probably Copper. Your suggestions are quite reasonable, so how's this:

Social Experiment
$3
Action
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
-------
When you discard this during Clean-up, if you have bought 2 or more cards this turn, +1 Villager.

This means that this card itself is slightly easier to use up your second +Buy on, and even though it only gives 1, it is overall better.
Pretty much what I thought, hopefully it works out in games and is different enough from Lackeys.

My entry:

Bridleway - Action, $6 cost.
+1 Buy
This turn, cards cost $2 less unless you've gained a copy of them during the turn.

Edit: changed entry.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:04:05 am by Aquila »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4877 on: February 25, 2020, 10:53:11 am »
+2

Battleship
cost $6 - Action - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, +$2, +1 Buy.
---
While this is in play, when other player plays an Attack card, you are unaffected by that Attack.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4878 on: February 25, 2020, 04:05:56 pm »
+1

EDIT: this is withdrawn

Brazier • $6 • Treasure
$2

Copper produces an extra $1.

I wanted to see what a $6 coppersmith would look like. After a couple more uh, convoluted options - a reserve card, a few different durations, an action that was way too strong - I settled on this. nice and simple.

I think it's an interesting card because you generally aren't going to hit $6 with just copper (unless there's a peddler/equivalent). The extra linebreaks are because otherwise the card generator makes the $1 very large as well.

I guess this is kind of goofy for this contest since this would imply Brass is better than Gold and it improves the actual Currency of Peasants but well, they can't all be winners thematically.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:53:10 pm by spineflu »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #4879 on: February 25, 2020, 04:06:38 pm »
+5

CHALLENGE #63 - GOLD IS THE CURRENCY OF PEASANTS

Kind of a tough challenge as I don't think Gold is particularly strong for its cost. Of course every game has to have a way to reliably hit $8 and up and that is Gold's job, but generally there are better alternatives. So this makes the $6 cost space a bit tricky as these cards can't be exclusively better than Gold (a not so good card), but they can be situationally better.

With this all in mind, this is my attempt at such a card. Army can be very, very good, but it takes a bit of time to build up. You may build the greatest Army card known, but how long will that actually take? So it can be better than Gold, but not always.

Thanks for looking!

ARMY - ACTION - $6
Choose one: Put a non-Command Action card onto your Army mat; or play this as if it were all the cards on your Army mat (played in any order).
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:37:07 pm by Kudasai »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4880 on: February 25, 2020, 05:26:13 pm »
+1

Seems stronger than Bank. At least early on when Bank relies mainly on Coppers for coin generation. Bank does have more versatility, but I don't think enough to make it stronger than Brazier's unconditional +$2.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4881 on: February 25, 2020, 09:27:56 pm »
+2

New submission - a mixed pile of Gems, each of them comparable to Gold. There are two Gems of each kind in the pile, total 10. The pile should be shuffled before the game.

Ruby
$6 - Treasure - Gem
$3, +1 Buy
You cannot buy Gems this turn.

Diamond
$6 - Treasure - Gem
$4
While this is in play, Victory cards cost $2 more.

Pearl
$6 - Treasure - Gem
$2
You may gain a Silver into your hand.

Sapphire
$6 - Treasure - Reaction - Gem
$2
When another player gains a Gem, you may discard this to gain a Gem.

Emerald
$6 - Treasure - Victory - Gem
$2
Worth 2VP per three Gems you own, rounded down

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: February 26, 2020, 05:43:32 am »
+4

It's an alternative to Gold that makes you want a deck full of golds. Ha!  The intention by the way is that if you have no deck to draw (or discard pile to shuffle into your deck of course) then the card will also be discarded. So you really want a fat deck of treasures. If you have that this is a potential +2 cards every turn including the turn you play it. If you're broke.... no more credit for you.

This is a fun challenge.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: February 26, 2020, 09:37:56 am »
+2

New submission - a mixed pile of Gems, each of them comparable to Gold. There are two Gems of each kind in the pile, total 10. The pile should be shuffled before the game.

Ruby
$6 - Treasure - Gem
$3, +1 Buy
You cannot buy Gems this turn.

Diamond
$6 - Treasure - Gem
$4
While this is in play, Victory cards cost $2 more.

Pearl
$6 - Treasure - Gem
$2
You may gain a Silver into your hand.

Sapphire
$6 - Treasure - Reaction - Gem
$2
When another player gains a Gem, you may discard this to gain a Gem.

Emerald
$6 - Treasure - Victory - Gem
$2
Worth 2VP per three Gems you own, rounded down
I'd say Ruby is too strong; not being able to buy Gems isn't much of a downside when buying a Gold is almost always a decent alternative. I'd consider having it say "You may not buy Treasures" instead, and even then it might be too strong. The others are probably fine, but I'm not convinced that these offer a sufficiently interesting alternative to Gold; they might be very cool as a pile to replace the Gold pile, but having both around is going to be redundant more often than not.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: February 26, 2020, 09:44:50 am »
+1

Thanks for looking!

ARMY - ACTION - $6
Choose one: Put a non-Command Action card onto your Army mat; or play this as if it were all the cards on your Army mat (played in any order).
The "play this as if it were" phrasing was phased out with the introduction of Command cards, and anyways makes no sense here. The card should just say "play the cards on your Army mat in any order, leaving them there." Even then, it is unclear to me whether you determine the order when you play Army or if you can switch things around once you played the first card from the mat. If it's the latter, maybe you want the wording "As often as you like: Play a card from your Army mat that you haven't played yet with this, leaving it there."
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: February 26, 2020, 10:58:54 am »
+1

Thanks for looking!

ARMY - ACTION - $6
The "play this as if it were" phrasing was phased out with the introduction of Command cards, and anyways makes no sense here. The card should just say "play the cards on your Army mat in any order, leaving them there." Even then, it is unclear to me whether you determine the order when you play Army or if you can switch things around once you played the first card from the mat. If it's the latter, maybe you want the wording "As often as you like: Play a card from your Army mat that you haven't played yet with this, leaving it there."

I think the way you resolve the 3 Boons with Fool makes it clear that when you have 3 or more things you choose the order as you go along.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: February 26, 2020, 02:14:37 pm »

Thanks for looking!

ARMY - ACTION - $6

I believe I phrased it the former way to avoid strong interactions with Encampment. Encampments on your Army mat can never be returned to the Supply with "leaving it there" phrasing. But this still requires that you line up Encampments with a $6 cost card (An Army instead of a Gold) to keep your Encampment. The Encampment is then permanently safe, but the window to line it up is generally 4 other cards versus 6 other cards when Encampment is actually played.

All in all I now think it's a cool interaction and isn't as strong as I once believed. It's very thematic as well. Thanks for the feedback!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 03:35:32 pm by Kudasai »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: February 27, 2020, 01:57:11 am »
+2

Kind of a tough challenge as I don't think Gold is particularly strong for its cost. Of course every game has to have a way to reliably hit $8 and up and that is Gold's job, but generally there are better alternatives. So this makes the $6 cost space a bit tricky as these cards can't be exclusively better than Gold (a not so good card), but they can be situationally better.

With this all in mind, this is my attempt at such a card. Army can be very, very good, but it takes a bit of time to build up. You may build the greatest Army card known, but how long will that actually take? So it can be better than Gold, but not always.

Thanks for looking!

ARMY - ACTION - $6

Unless you mean for this to remove all the cards from your Army mat, it should say "leaving them there."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: February 27, 2020, 12:08:47 pm »
+3

Like a better Band of Misfits. You get to keep the card you play it as and you can do it with more than just actions.

(Note: I came up with this card independent of grep's weaver. I promise I wasn't copying!)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:06:21 pm by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: February 27, 2020, 12:43:27 pm »

Like a better Band of Misfits. You get to keep the card you play it as and you can do it with more than just actions.

(Note: I came up with this card independent of grep's weaver. I promise I wasn't copying!)
I like this, as it is such a clean design.
There are already cantrip gainers, but Ironworks-Mill draws any card, not the gained card, Cobbler is delayed and Sculptor is only sometimes non-terminal. Also, all of them miss the mid-turn play element which can lead to funky interactions.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4890 on: February 27, 2020, 12:52:48 pm »

EDIT: this is also withdrawn. Sorry to keep flip-flopping. See downthread.

Thanks, Kudasai, that was a little too close to Bank. I'm changing my entry up to a slightly more convoluted one.

Tamrakar • $6 • Action - Duration
While this is in play, Copper produces an additional $1 and at the start of your turn +1 Buy.

This stays in play until the Clean up phase of your next turn during which you shuffle your deck.

I didn't want to make this a full-on hireling style duration-coppersmith; If an opponent makes you shuffle (via oracle or minion or whatever), this stays out, because you didn't do the shuffle on your turn.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:26:36 pm by spineflu »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: February 27, 2020, 01:06:42 pm »

Thanks, Kudasai, that was a little too close to Bank. I'm changing my entry up to a slightly more convoluted one.

While this is in play, Copper produces an additional $1 and at the start of your turn +1 Buy.

This stays in play until the Clean up phase of your next turn during which you shuffle your deck.

I didn't want to make this a full-on hireling style duration-coppersmith; If an opponent makes you shuffle (via oracle or minion or whatever), this stays out, because you didn't do the shuffle on your turn.

If you shuffle during your Action, Buy or Night phase this is pretty clear - you would discard this during clean up.

But what about if you have to shuffle during cleanup? I always think of cleanup phase as two sub phases:
• cleanup
• draw (and shuffle, if necessary)

i.e. by the time you shuffle, you've already discarded cards that should be cleaned up.

From the wiki:
All cards gained this turn should already be in the player’s discard pile. The player places any cards that are in their play area (...) and any cards remaining in their hand onto their discard pile... Then, the player draws a new hand of 5 cards from their deck.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: February 27, 2020, 01:19:38 pm »

Why not simplify the wording to something like "This stays in play until your shuffle." ?

Perhaps it is too weak then, and of course you can imagine Kingdoms without trashing yet good drawing/sifting in which you shuffle often in spite of 7 Coppers in your deck. But my hunch is that this favours money decks in which you shuffle less frequently.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: February 27, 2020, 01:25:33 pm »

If you shuffle during your Action, Buy or Night phase this is pretty clear - you would discard this during clean up.

But what about if you have to shuffle during cleanup? I always think of cleanup phase as two sub phases:
• cleanup
• draw (and shuffle, if necessary)

i.e. by the time you shuffle, you've already discarded cards that should be cleaned up.

From the wiki:
All cards gained this turn should already be in the player’s discard pile. The player places any cards that are in their play area (...) and any cards remaining in their hand onto their discard pile... Then, the player draws a new hand of 5 cards from their deck.

Then it misses the shuffle (as it always does), as it's still the clean up phase of the turn you shuffle when you discard it; it's just discarded at a different time than the cards that are cleaned up normally.

Why not simplify the wording to something like "This stays in play until your shuffle." ?

Perhaps it is too weak then, and of course you can imagine Kingdoms without trashing yet good drawing/sifting in which you shuffle often in spite of 7 Coppers in your deck. But my hunch is that this favours money decks in which you shuffle less frequently.

It's definitely intended for use in slogs, copper-floods, and other less-shufflesome decks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:38:01 pm by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: February 27, 2020, 01:34:44 pm »
+1

This is a Den of Sin variant with Horses. I expect that they will work like Villagers, i.e. you can spend them during your Action phase (before or after executing an Action card) for +1 Card.
The card could be too Kingdom-sensitive, e.g. it obviously sucks in Kingdoms that do not enable more than one gain per turn.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: February 27, 2020, 04:40:39 pm »
+1

I'll add a name and an image later (if anyone has any suggestions?):

TBD
$6 - Treasure
$0
Gain two Silvers to your hand.

Secret History:
• In a recent contest, I had a Treasure-Jewelry mechanic that allowed you to play them after you made buys in the buy phase. One of these cards was a treasure that produced $2 and conditionally (based on buys that turn) gained a silver to hand, i.e. a Treasure that produces $4.
• Similar (and more importantly simpler) alternatives are possible as straight Treasures; in this case, this also meant dropping the conditional. However "+$2, gain a silver to your hand" seems too strong for a $6.
• In order to balance I went to gaining two (weakened) silvers, "+$2, you may gain two silvers; while this is in play, silvers produce $1 less this turn."
• And that got simplified to this - ultimately, it's stronger when playing multiples, of course, but significantly simpler.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:29:51 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: February 27, 2020, 06:35:12 pm »
+2

This can be looped with cost reduction to gain the whole Commissioner pile in one turn (That's what I tried to avoid with my design  :) )
Playing Night cards during daytime sounds bold, but seemingly not devastating, at least with official cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: February 27, 2020, 07:11:02 pm »

I'll add a name and an image later (if anyone has any suggestions?):

TBD
$6 - Treasure
$0
Gain two Silvers to your hand.

"Till"? as in a Trader/Merchant's cash box, since they seem to be the ones giving out / caring about Silvers.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: February 28, 2020, 11:58:27 am »
+1

Interesting. It never does anything on its first play. The second play, it's likely not to do anything either -- but it can do something as insurance if you dud. After the second play, it becomes incredibly strong -- you have to weigh the advantage of making future plays stronger against playing the card which is now likely to already be strictly better than Lost City. I wonder where you stop -- do you upgrade it every time once you draw your deck, using the command function before then?

It might be too strong for $6, though.
Overall, I think there are very few times when you will prefer Gold over Army -- the only situation I can think of is if there is no +Action on the board.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: February 28, 2020, 12:31:14 pm »
+1

There was some talk about MTG in the discord that got me thinking about my favorite MTG card and it made me realize it's well-suited to being a reverse-Crypt:

Sepulcher • $6 • Night
While this is in play, at the start of your Clean up phase, if there are fewer than 7 cards on this, set aside 2 cards you have in play on this. At the start of your turn, if there are 3 or more cards on this, you may put them into your hand and discard this.

FAQ: When this leaves play (via Bonfire or what have you), the cards set aside remain set aside as though it were in play (same as Archive, Crypt, etc); if there are 3 or more, you can still put them in your hand at the start of your turn, otherwise they're in set aside limbo.

version 0.11

version 0.01

The Attack blocking is because this'd really suck to get hit with a handsize attack with.
I think the most you could get with this is 7 treasures? Someone better at geometry can probably figure out a better pattern; however you'll probably want to  be inefficient since the game can change a lot in 7/8 turns
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:25:35 pm by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.