Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547906 times)

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4850 on: February 22, 2020, 11:22:11 am »

Yep, it doesn't really work well with other +Buys, including itself. Sometimes you don't care about the downside because you're buying Events or using money for non-buy purposes, and sometimes the +1 Buy is worthwhile on its own (at the very least there's a 0-cost card in the kingdom that you can buy with it). And there are trashers that can make use of it, like Counterfeit.

Still, this does raise the question of when you're buying it in the first place - there's little reason to get a 0-cost card unless you're spending several Buys this turn, and that's its weakness.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: February 22, 2020, 12:12:29 pm »
+2

Nickel Silver needs a dividing line above "while this is in play."

Also, I agree with the people who have said it's weak and usually not useful. While I like the flavor justification, mechanics should always come first and it seems much better as a non-terminal action to interact with TfB's like Apprentice, Research, and Raze. (Raze in particular can become super fast at getting rid of Coppers.)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: February 22, 2020, 01:10:36 pm »
+3

Apprentice does not care about types and Nickel Silver is often better than Herbalist due to its non-terminality.

He means so that you can play the Nickel Silver and then play the Apprentice, so that whatever you trash costs more and gives more +Cards.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: February 22, 2020, 01:23:29 pm »
+3

Apprentice does not care about types and Nickel Silver is often better than Herbalist due to its non-terminality.

He means so that you can play the Nickel Silver and then play the Apprentice, so that whatever you trash costs more and gives more +Cards.
Ah, OK. Hardly a buff though, e.g. with terminal Workshop variants the card becomes worse as a non-terminal Action. But it would be more interesting. Stuff like playing it twice and killing a Province with a Knight and other funky combos could arise.

Another idea would be to make it yields 3 Coins. Then it is either a Gold for landscape stuff, a Silver at one Buy or a Pouch if you use both Buys and so on. Smells like a $4 but it is a hard to judge.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: February 23, 2020, 03:47:48 am »
+2

24 hours left. If you need to buy out the time to get your entries in, do so!

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: February 23, 2020, 11:06:39 am »
+1

24 hours left. If you need to buy out the time to get your entries in, do so!

I see what you did there...
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: February 23, 2020, 03:08:35 pm »
+1

OK, here's the final version of Gondolier for the challenge - no functional change, just fixed the type and improved some formatting:

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: February 23, 2020, 04:09:11 pm »
+6

I haven't had much time to work on this due to being away so it's on the simpler side. Sawmill is a woodcutter variant that can trash on buys, which is facilitated by the second buy. Usually it's one at a time early on, but maybe you want to trade that curse or estate for a copper. This might be a bit strong, but comparing it to Priest, it seems fine.

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: February 23, 2020, 04:24:40 pm »
+1

The point about making it an Action so it works with trash-for-benefit like Raze is a good one. I've also tweaked it so that it synergises with itself, at least. Oh, and renamed it so it's not a Treasure. How's this version?

(Illustration: a detail from The Watchmaker 2 by Maja Stosic, released here under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.)

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: February 23, 2020, 06:33:53 pm »

I haven't had much time to work on this due to being away so it's on the simpler side. Sawmill is a woodcutter variant that can trash on buys, which is facilitated by the second buy. Usually it's one at a time early on, but maybe you want to trade that curse or estate for a copper. This might be a bit strong, but comparing it to Priest, it seems fine.

Huh. I had a card called Sawmill that won me a contest a while back. But no worries, I'm fine with you using the name.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4860 on: February 24, 2020, 12:48:37 am »
+1

Yes, I see the Fortress interaction. I don't think it even cracks the list of top 5 dumbest Fortress interactions, though.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: February 24, 2020, 04:43:53 am »
+6

Contest #62: results

Social experiment ([TP] Inferno)
Action, $5 cost.
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
-
When you discard this during Clean-up, if you bought 2 or more cards this turn, +2 Villagers.
If you're adding more cards to your deck, be they Actions, Treasures or junk, you'll always like Villagers, so this is an elegant bonus to using the buy. It favours buying several terminals including copies of itself, as the potential number of Villagers you get can be very high (2 bought cards makes 2 Villagers per Social Experiment in play). This is going to be reached late game, which makes for quite a different way to build a deck.
But I feel that the times when you buy junk just to keep your Action supply up won't be pleasant. You may not use those Villagers, especially if said junk gets in the way; yet, you had to do it. You don't mind junking for Goons or Merchant Guild so much; when they don't work out it doesn't sting so strongly as when deck functionality fails.
A lower cost giving 1 Villager could be a consistency aid also during the building process, and there would be less pressure when this is the only source of Actions.

Gongfermor (somekindoftony)
Action, $4 cost.
+3 Coffers
This turn, you may only buy cards in the trash (as if they were in the Supply).
-
When you buy this, trash a card from the Supply and +1 Buy.
There basically has to be some kind of trash-for-benefit for this to be buying cards from the trash in the long term. The province trash-and-buy you mentioned will only work if there's a Gongfermor in the trash or you Innovate one. Even with tfb you can't get any further ahead afterward on VP without a source of VP tokens or Salt the Earth. Also, with 4 bridge variants in play this can instantly empty 2 piles, itself and Curses in 2-player games.
So, this is mostly like a Tactician variant carrying 3 Coffers over to later turns. There might be a cool idea to be made out of this if the +Buy were better implemented; I thought maybe a Duration with +1 Buy at the start of next turn instead of the when-buy bit.

Tea (spineflu)
Treasure, $5 cost.
$2
+1 Buy
-
When you buy this, you may spend any number of extra buys on it. For each, draw an extra card for your next hand at Clean-up.
Converting buys into another resource is a nice concept, but it has to compete with Events for viability. In this case it's Expedition. Each buy with $3 becomes 2 cards, whereas this is $5 needing at least 2 buys so less accessible. Each time you're also adding a Silver with +buy to the deck, so not a move to use in engines. Overall, awkward to use outside of markets/Worker's Village and other Spices lookalikes are favourable.

Credit (mandioca15)
Treasure, $4 cost.
$2
When you play this, you may set aside <2> for +1 Buy. When you discard this from play, take any set aside <>, and then you may pay off <>.
Travelling Fair (without the top-deck) attached to a Silver, but you pay for it later. The result is just a Capital worth $2, but the option is the advantage here. Get a big $5 or $6 sometimes, get a crucial buy other times. It's quite a steep cost for just an extra buy, so it's only mildly useful, mildly nice, nothing too exciting.

Royal Docks (NoMoreFun)
Action Duration, $5 cost.
+1 Buy
This turn, when you gain an Action card, you may set it aside under this. While any cards are set aside under this, at the start of each of your turns, play one twice.
Your buys can immediately prepare your next turns. That's a neat premise for a building card. It does a lot more to the Actions than Cargo Ship, but in balance it gives no payload of its own (I saw it nearly did, but it's good that it doesn't since there's no incentive to then choose not to use the extra buy to get it back into the deck sooner. Elegant). To really start going with it you need to get that payload first. So if it doesn't prove imbalanced, it's good and I like it.

Atelier (mail-mi)
Action, $4 cost.
Choose one: + $2; or gain a card costing up to $4.
-
When you gain this during your Action phase, +1 Buy.
It can get lots of cards in your deck, perfect for Gardens, but… I'm not seeing what else it's good with. You're not often going to want the extra buy from gaining this when that buy could often be a different $4 gained; you add a fairly weak, terminal stop card into the deck, needing plenty of villages and draw to use the + $2s. Forum is non-terminal and it isn't a stop card, and that I feel is rather crucial to its having the bottom-line bit. If this had 2 Actions instead of $2…?
(For newer people here, a stop card is one that doesn't help you draw more of your deck.)

Savings (X-tra)
Treasure, $5 cost
$2
When you play this, choose one: -1 Buy and + $2; or +1 Buy.
At one time I may have thought, 'you can't do -1 Buy, it's never going to be interesting'. But this has trumped that in very simple fashion. The balance also looks spot on; it's a bit more than $2 +Buy, just like Charm and Spices, and 2 together with no other buys can become 2 Golds, a fine worst case. Markets and Worker's Village are the best cases, which feels about right for a kingdom Treasure. A sound design.

Deed (forkofnature)
Treasure, $2 cost.
$0
-
When this is your first buy in a turn or when you trash this, + $3 and +1 Buy.
A free + $1 boost like Borrow, but the downside is a junk card in the deck. Only rarely worth it, but with a trasher in the game, definitely worth it. It's great if it's balanced.

Bourse (grep)
Project, $6 cost.
At the start of each of your turns, +1 Buy.
When you buy a second card in a turn, +2 Coffers.
Fair with a boost, and a sensible one at that. It keeps giving you incentive to use the buy, giving more $ for better buys on later turns, yet because it's a Project at $6 cost and you can't get copies of it, there's no pressuring game speed and pile emptying. Simple and sound, it's always a useful pickup but it might not be an especially interesting play experience.

Bulk Order (naitchman)
Treasure, $5 cost.
$3
+1 Buy
-
While this is in play, you may only end your Buy phase if you cannot use a Buy, or if you've bought more cards this turn than Bulk Orders in play.
It's like Contraband but with a different setback. You can't overload on these unless you're after deck inflation. Most of the time then it's just there when you need the buy, and there's not much strategy to it otherwise.

Shanty Market (majiponi)
Action, $3 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
The second time you gain a card this turn, + $1.
Either the second card effectively costs less per Shanty Market in play, or you can increase your $ for the 3rd gain. Unless you have a Workshop variant it's going to be hard to make all 3 buys meaningful. I think it would be more interesting, even if more expensive, triggering after the first gain.

Gondolier (scolapasta)
Night Reserve, $4 cost.
+1 Coffers per card you've bought this turn. Put this on your Tavern mat.
-
At the start of your Buy phase, you may call this for +1 Buy.
With other sources of buys, it can generate a lot of Coffers because it's non-terminal, but in balance you can't do it every turn. Without other +buys, you can cycle 2 of these every turn in an engine and get 6 Coffers, or if you get 6 copies then 3 for 12 Coffers. This takes a bit of work to put together and sustain though. So there's high potential. When you can't really reach that potential, it's principally about the buy on demand, so not useless.
Pretty good overall, but something's holding me back from really liking it. I think it's because this is only strong in decks that are already strong? As a payload card it isn't standing out over others, just the buys on demand bit and that could better fit on a cheaper card.
I'm comparing it to Bridge and Merchant Guild. They're terminal, but they generate their own buys immediately and their total payload can be varied to suit the player's needs. This is non-terminal, but lesser flexibility is implied; buying several cards is less of an option if you want to make your investment in these count, since if ever you don't buy much you have to wait at least a turn until you can go for it again. Also, Bridge and MG's payload is immediate, whereas these Coffers aren't, so you have to handle all the extra purchases before going in with the mega turn.
So: it's not as pleasant a card to use as Bridge or MG, and it seems to be rather weak. So I've drawn a very long-winded conclusion that just says 'it should be cheaper'. If balance says it can't be, then it can't really exist.

Crate (kru5h)
Action Duration, $4 cost.
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game, if this is still in play, +1 Buy and + $1. (This stays in play.)
-
At the end of your Buy phase, discard this if you have any Buys left.
A payload effect in the form of Key coming with a constant Buy you must use, where if you don't buy you lose the Key and get a terminal stop card back into the deck. It's a reliable deck strategy option. It can encourage pile emptying, but not absolutely, so this looks sound.
Bulk Order is also doing enforced buys, but with getting either $3 and +Buy or nothing, and no middle option like this has in Peddler but the card re-enters deck, it's less flexible. So this feels like a better execution. That said, this will be cwazy with Triumph or Goons.

Inspector (Doom_Shark)
Action, $5 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
-
While this is in play, when you buy a card, look at the top card of your deck. Trash it, discard it, or put it back.
This is a nice new way to trim your deck and sift through it. It can do similar to Sentry, but it comes in at the Buy phase so it plays differently and involves different strategies. There's a possibility that a cheaper variant without the +Buy would be better, but this looks fine and interesting.

Crook (Gazbag)
Action Attack, $5 cost.
+1 Buy
+$2
This turn, whenever you buy a card, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards one with the same cost as that card (or reveals they can't).
At first I thought, since you can only discard once usually, what's the +Buy doing? Now I see of course, the first buy can scout for the second. That's a fun spin to add to the buy process, although potentially political with it; 'you could've got a $5, but you chose a $4 just to hit me'. If players don't mind that, they've got a pretty nice card here.

Adventurers' Guild (gubump)
Action, $6 cost.
+1 Buy
+ $2
You may play an Action from your hand that you don't have a copy of in play.
-
While this is in play, when you buy a card, +1 Villager.
On-buy Villagers is similar to Social Experiment, but to me here the on-play effect is a better fit. Because the bonus is $ rather than +Cards, and because it's sometimes non-terminal, there is less pressure to buy just to keep Action supply up. The Villagers are still useful though, since this goes with the Conclave effect rather than +1 Action; a good move.
Overall this is a nice blend of Actions and payload together, like Festival but more reliable as a Village.

Lumber Camp (Kudasai)
Action, $3 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
-
When this is one of your first 2 gains of the game: take Innovative, or if you already have it, flip it over to Twice Innovative.
(Twice) Innovative, two-sided State: at the start of your turn, +1 (2) Cards per empty Supply pile.
This seems to have similarities to a Gardens rush strategy. Once someone does the right opening, what strategy they're going for becomes obvious. Others can try to avoid the piles they're most likely to empty, but either way they're committed to their course. If you open with one or two of these, you've got to get emptying piles for your investment to pay off. That won't be easy seeing that these don't give any payload, and once they are empty you have to then win within a limited amount of time. It's hard to call if this is worthwhile often enough to be interesting.

Top Executive traveller line (grrgrrgrr)
All stages are Actions, upgrading as the official ones do.
Young Merchant - Discard any number of cards for + $1 each.
Teen Merchant - put your -1 Card token on your deck. If you do, gain a Gold.
Local Manager - +2 Cards. At the start of Clean-up, +1 Villager per $1 unspent.
Entrepreneur - +3 Cards. This turn, cards cost $1 less.
Top Executive - Duration. For the rest of the game: when you buy a card costing $1 or more, +1 Buy, and at the start of each of your turns, draw until you have 6 cards in hand. (This stays in play.)
You progress towards getting infinite buys, which I suppose if Champion can exist so can this. From here you can buy lots of Young Merchants and progress them into a near complete engine strategy. The problem here is that if a Traveller line can win all by itself, it's not interacting with the rest of the kingdom. Teacher and Champion are support cards, but Top Executive is payload with the rest of its line. This does seem to appreciate trashing and cycling like the others, being quite slow with the -card token and needing unspent $ for Villagers, but it would still need testing for speed.

Lapidary (snowyowl)
Action, $0 cost.
+1 Action
+ $2
+1 Buy
This turn, cards cost $1 more.
The only reasons to use this are if there's some kind of trash-for-benefit involving $ cost, or there are Events you don't mind repeatedly buying like Expedition. Too narrow to be interesting.

Sawmill (D782802859)
Action, $4 cost.
+1 Buy
+ $2
-
While this is in play, when you buy a card, you may trash a card from your hand.
Similar to Inspector, but here the trash has to be from hand rather than the deck so losing Coppers can mean weaker purchases. You do get some payload to make up for this though. It's a simple but powerful builder that will be an appealing addition to many decks, possibly too powerful.

Exchange (Something_Smart)
Action, $5 cost.
+1 Card
+1 Action
-
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may trash a card from your hand for +1 Buy.
The buy lets you exchange again. This feels a little weird. It's a $5 cantrip, yet you don't want that many as you won't have many cards in hand to trash. It could be a Project, or maybe a terminal with +2 or 3 Cards, and it would have a more defined purpose.

Shortlist: Royal Docks, Savings, Deed, Bourse, Crate, Inspector, Crook, Adventurers' Guild, Sawmill.

Plenty of good designs in this contest, and many more were nearly good, so well done all. To choose a winner from these though…

Runner-up: Royal Docks by NoMoreFun
Winner: Savings by X-tra.

Royal Docks has high potential to be fun, but Savings is a card that seems good to go, has some interesting strategizing with how many buys you actually want this turn, and it covers a new mechanic. Simple but effective, congrats!

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4862 on: February 24, 2020, 09:56:34 am »
+1

Hey, thanks a lot, Aquila! The problem about winning though is that now I have to match up you guys’ level of professionalism when it comes to judge each participant’s entry. And even in my wildest dreams, I could never hope to achieve such a thing. Still, I’ll try my best and we shall see in a week. :D

CHALLENGE 63: GOLD IS THE CURRENCY OF PEASANTS
Create a card-shaped thing with a cost.

I know I already used this challenge as an example during a rhetorical argument I had earlier in this thread, but I grew fond of the simplicity of this idea, akin to Aquila's last contest of the week. This challenge involves creating a card-shaped thing that costs . Therefore, it has to be an alternative to Gold. If you have in play, then you might consider paying for whatever you will enter for this competition. Should be simple enough. Biggest pitfall would make your entry exclusively better than Gold, or exclusively weaker. This is mostly how this challenge will be judged.

Here are a couple of additional rules to follow:

• Your card-shaped thing musn't have any or in their cost. Only currency is accepted, and it must cost .
  • Your card-shaped thing can be an Event or a Project.
  • Your card-shaped thing cannot be a Traveller line, even if a card that is part of it costs (like Champion or Teacher). That is unless, of course, you make the first card of your Traveller line cost . It is a weird and potentially dangerous idea, it has never been done before, but maybe you can pull it off?
  • Cards with fluctuating costs are a bit of a puzzler. Peddler, for instance, is priced at , but can cost if you have 1 Action in play. Argh. My advice here is to avoid such cards. Making a flat cost will be simpler for everyone.
  • Cards with conditional buys are likewise troublesome. Grand Market comes to mind first. It costs , but can only be bought if you have no Coppers in play. If you have, for instance, 4 Coppers and 1 Silver in play, then you could buy a Gold, but not a Grand Market. Thus, Grand Market would be disqualified as an entry for this challenge. You can make a card with a conditional buy, so long as you can buy your card shaped-thing if you can buy a Gold, and vice-versa. This is probably not a safe way to go about this challenge, however.
  • Your card shaped-thing can be or involve never-seen before concepts. You can create, for instance, a new card type specifically for this challenge. Go crazy, tiger! As long as you must pay exactly for it, then you're good to go.
  • Overpaying is disallowed. Can you overpay for a Gold? No? Then you shouldn't for your entry either.
  • You can make a Kingdom composed of different cards in it, such as Knights or split piles, so long as everything in there is priced at .

This seems like a lot of rules for something so simple, but I want this challenge to be correctly bounded. And yet I'm sure I'm forgetting some rules to make sure the heart of this challenge truly gets respected. In case of doubt, just ask if what you want to do is fine. I'll be happy to help. But overall, the idea to follow is that if you can buy a Gold, then you can pay for your card-shaped thing as well. It must be on-par with the price of Gold. No more, no less.

Example of cards that would be disqualified:

• Adventurer: Well, not disqualified per say. It DOES cost . But most of the time, you'll want a Gold over this. You wouldn't win if you registered Adventurer for this week's contest.
  • Laboratory: Costs , not .
  • Possession: Costs , but has in its cost.
  • Grand Market: Its conditional buy makes it so there are times where you couldn't buy this while you could buy a Gold.
  • Peddler: There are times where you could buy a Gold, but not this (for instance: having only Treasures in play).

Judging will be done on 2020-03-02, around 8 PM EST, to leave me a little bit of time that day to complete everything before posting the results. Thank you and have at it!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 12:30:20 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4863 on: February 24, 2020, 10:02:16 am »
+1

@X-tra - clarification on yr contest - split piles - both cards should cost $6 for it to qualify?

My entry, at least initially: Withdrawing this; see downthread
Toll Road • $6 • Action - Duration
This card stays in play.
Whenever another player shuffles their discard pile into their deck, they discard the top card of their deck. If that card is a type other than Treasure, you gain +1 Coffers. If it is a Treasure, they gain +1 Coffers.

Tea (spineflu)
Treasure, $5 cost.
$2
+1 Buy
-
When you buy this, you may spend any number of extra buys on it. For each, draw an extra card for your next hand at Clean-up.
Converting buys into another resource is a nice concept, but it has to compete with Events for viability. In this case it's Expedition. Each buy with $3 becomes 2 cards, whereas this is $5 needing at least 2 buys so less accessible. Each time you're also adding a Silver with +buy to the deck, so not a move to use in engines. Overall, awkward to use outside of markets/Worker's Village and other Spices lookalikes are favourable.

I don't disagree with your assessment (nor your winners - my projected list looked basically identical except i liked gondolier more) but I do want to point out that my card had a revision prior to judging
[...]

Choose one:
$2 and +1 Buy;
or $1 and +2 Buys
-
When you buy this, you may overbuy. For each extra buy you spend, +1 Card when drawing your next hand during Clean up

overbuy is like overpay but you spend buys rather than $+potions. Should be pretty straightforward from that explanation but if you've got any questions, let me know.

Made some revisions based on feedback from the discord#variants
[...]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 03:15:44 pm by spineflu »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4864 on: February 24, 2020, 10:35:43 am »
+1

@X-tra - clarification on yr contest - split piles - both cards should cost $6 for it to qualify?

I knew I was forgetting stuff, hahaha! I'll edit my contest post. But yeah, both cards should be worth .
Bottom text

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: February 24, 2020, 12:22:11 pm »
+1

Laboratory: Worth , not .
Saome elemenary confusion. Lab costs $5. Doesn't imply anything about its worth, you do more often than not buy it when you hit $6 instead of Gold. Same with many other decent $5 Actions.
This is also why there is no official Lab+ that costs $6.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4866 on: February 24, 2020, 12:26:19 pm »

Eh, I think people get the idea. It's a small nitpick but yeah, I'll edit the contest post to make that clearer.
Bottom text

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: February 24, 2020, 01:47:03 pm »
+3

Tiara (Treasure, $6)

+$4
+1 Buy
---
When you discard this from play, if you have unused Buys, trash this.

This gives you more spending power than Gold, but forces you to use its extra Buy if you want to keep it. Maybe there are lots of good cheap cards in the Kingdom. Maybe you have to keep buying Copper - can your deck sustain all of those Coppers? Or maybe you're glad to let it go once you've purchased the cards you want.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: February 24, 2020, 03:14:06 pm »
+1

Leaning hard into the theme for this one!

Beast
Action - $6
Reveal any number of cards from your hand. If their added cost in $ is exactly 6, gain a card costing up to $1 per card revealed. Discard the revealed cards and draw until you have 6 cards in hand.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: February 24, 2020, 10:48:21 pm »

Hmm... How about this:

Lone Knight
$6
Action-Attack
+$3
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of their deck, trashes any costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest.

So at first glance, it looks better than Gold at the same price. Oh dear. But it is lacking that all-important +Action that Treasures have, can be drawn dead, etc. But it still has the Attack part though. Wouldn't that make up for the lack of a +Action? Maybe, but it is in range of its own attack. So you would see from time to time, these Lone Knights popping each other off, meaning that you might not get many uses out of your Lone Knight. Also, there are a couple of official cards that can give +$3 that cost $5, eg. Treasurer, Explorer, Courtier, Mandarin, Count, etc. so I believe it is balanced at this price.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: February 24, 2020, 11:09:31 pm »

Social experiment ([TP] Inferno)
Action, $5 cost.
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
-
When you discard this during Clean-up, if you bought 2 or more cards this turn, +2 Villagers.
If you're adding more cards to your deck, be they Actions, Treasures or junk, you'll always like Villagers, so this is an elegant bonus to using the buy. It favours buying several terminals including copies of itself, as the potential number of Villagers you get can be very high (2 bought cards makes 2 Villagers per Social Experiment in play). This is going to be reached late game, which makes for quite a different way to build a deck.
But I feel that the times when you buy junk just to keep your Action supply up won't be pleasant. You may not use those Villagers, especially if said junk gets in the way; yet, you had to do it. You don't mind junking for Goons or Merchant Guild so much; when they don't work out it doesn't sting so strongly as when deck functionality fails.
A lower cost giving 1 Villager could be a consistency aid also during the building process, and there would be less pressure when this is the only source of Actions.
Okay, nice feedback. You are right about the need to buy junk to get Villagers, but my thought process was, this is a Lab+ if you use a Villager on it, so it might not be so bad, but yeah, to keep up the Villager supply, you need to buy multiple cards every turn, probably Copper. Your suggestions are quite reasonable, so how's this:

Social Experiment
$3
Action
+2 Cards
+1 Buy
-------
When you discard this during Clean-up, if you have bought 2 or more cards this turn, +1 Villager.

This means that this card itself is slightly easier to use up your second +Buy on, and even though it only gives 1, it is overall better.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: February 24, 2020, 11:33:04 pm »
+1

Trying to be concise in my submission

Weaver
$6 - Action
Gain a card into your hand cheaper than this.
If you gained an Action card, play it.

I find it more like an Overlord than like an Altar. You probably want it over Gold as a deck builder, but it's just a terminal Silver or Duchy gainer when you go greening. Not sure about cost, probably should be nerfed with not allowing gaining Victory cards.

Upd: WITHDRAWED for now
As Gubump noticed, it is much stronger than Artisan. Even if limited to gaining Action cards, probably still too strong
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:17:04 pm by grep »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: February 25, 2020, 12:18:55 am »
+1

Bridge Builder
$6 - Action
+3 Cards.
-
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.

I'd be a little surprised if someone hasn't thought of something like this before, but I don't remember seeing it before.

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: February 25, 2020, 12:19:01 am »
+1

My submission for Contest #63

Real Estate agent
Action
Cost: $6

+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard a card from your hand.
If it was a Victory card, +1 Coffers for each $2 it cost.
If it was a Treasure card, +1VP for each $3 it cost.

Turn your base cards into  the other type of resource!

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: February 25, 2020, 02:26:42 am »
+1

Trying to be concise in my submission

Weaver
$6 - Action
Gain a card into your hand cheaper than this.
If you gained an Action card, play it.

I find it more like an Overlord than like an Altar. You probably want it over Gold as a deck builder, but it's just a terminal Silver or Duchy gainer when you go greening. Not sure about cost, probably should be nerfed with not allowing gaining Victory cards.

This compares way too favorably to Artisan.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.