Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546736 times)

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4825 on: February 19, 2020, 12:48:03 pm »
+1

Pretty self explanatory I hope. This can make you think about the order you buy things which is pretty cool (e.g. if you have $13 and are buying a Province and a $5 Action you should probably buy the Action first.)

I like this.  Wonder if it is too powerful the way it is written.  Maybe limit to the first buy?  Or the first two?  On a heavy buy turn, this could gut the opponent's hand.

It can't make people go below 4 cards in hand so unless Council Roomy things are happening you can only discard 1 card. It's rarely going to be as nasty as Pillage, even if you see what's in your opponent's hand first they still choose what to discard if they have multiple cards with the same cost.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: February 19, 2020, 12:55:16 pm »
+1

Updating the wording on my card to allow for buying events or projects:

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: February 19, 2020, 04:59:32 pm »
+4

[Updated v.0.3 is below - no functional change - just fixed type to Night-Reserve and formatting]

Entry for the week, Shopper, a terminal copper that lets you save a buy for when you need it.

This is a cool idea but needs some work. Costing $1 is a little awkward because if you want this there probably isn't regular +Buy on the board, so you have to waste a bunch of coins on it even if you're responsible and pick it up early.

Honestly I think you could just make this give +$2 and have it cost $3. As far as I'm concerned Woodcutter lost its right to complain about being strictly worse than anything when it got excommunicated from the game.

But let's say you're an empathetic stickler. In that case, I'd make this cost $3 and either be a treasure or else give +2 Buys.

How about making it a cantrip - not strictly better than Market Square as it doesn't have the reaction so you could cost it at $2 or $3 (at $4 you can get Fair which is like playing this every turn)

I think it's more interesting to have a card that invites you to play it multiple times than a card you would almost always want out of your deck until the endgame. Being "harmless" to your deck aids with that.

Another option is +2 Cards for $3 (which doesn't technically step on Woodcutter's toes even though it's probably a better card)

I think it's interesting the cards you picked to compare it to because when I read it, I immediately thought it was a reverse-Ducat - this gives $1 now and +1 Buy later, Ducat is +1 Buy now and a $1 later.

I think it's a hard sell as-is with it being terminal, especially on a board with no +Buys; Maybe do a reverse-Candlestick Maker and have it give +1 Action on play.

Some good feedback here. General consensus seems to be it needs to be stronger and/or cost more. I had wanted to keep it costing (at most) $2, which meant not much stronger, so I had some possibilities:

• it could actually pair with the Pouch heirloom guaranteeing that you start with a + Buy card.
• it could give +$1 now and $1 when you call it.
• I could switch $1 to +1 Coffers.
• I could go with option 2 or 3, and make it a Night card, so the buy is for future turns (now more like CotR)

And then I had an epiphany: I have another, as yet unposted card, a Night card that gives Coffers for each card you've bought (an after the fact Bridge, if you will). But it was missing something and in some ways already covered by Merchant Guild.

So here's my new, re-themed (Shopper doesn't make sense as a Night card) reserve buy, Gondolier:

Notes:
- like Coin of the Realm, you can't call it the same turn that you play it
- calling them produces buys that other gondoliers can use for additional coffers
- as a night-reserve, it's a unique combination of types that doesn't exist in official cards

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 03:46:44 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4828 on: February 19, 2020, 05:49:24 pm »
+1

So here's my new, re-themed (Shopper doesn't make sense as a Night card) reserve buy, Gondolier:

Notes:
- like Coin of the Realm, you usually can't call it the same turn that you play it
- calling them produces buys that other gondoliers can use for additional coffers
- as a night-reserve, it's a unique combination of types that doesn't exist in official cards

Thoughts?

nailed it, imo. maybe add gaining-to-hand on buy so you can get some immediate synergy, but this is quality.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4829 on: February 19, 2020, 06:14:23 pm »
+2

Notes:
- like Coin of the Realm, you usually can't call it the same turn that you play it

Thoughts?

Just a small nitpick, but it needs a "Reserve" label on the bottom.
Bottom text

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4830 on: February 20, 2020, 02:01:56 am »
+1

Notes:
- like Coin of the Realm, you can't call it the same turn that you play it

Thoughts?

nailed it, imo. maybe add gaining-to-hand on buy so you can get some immediate synergy, but this is quality.

Thanks! I was especially pleased when I realized that these two independent ideas that were both missing something, went so well together! Like those old reese's peanut butter cup ads ! 8))

v0.1 of Gondolier (before the mashup) did have the gain-to-hand, but as this version gained the below the line reserve text, I removed it for simplicity. Also, I do still want keep the cost down, and that instant coffers rebate feels like it should cost 1 more. I probably will playtest it both ways, eventually.

Just a small nitpick, but it needs a "Reserve" label on the bottom.

You're absolutely right! V.0.1 of Gondolier was just a Night card and while I copied the new text over and changed the color, I forgot to update the type. I'll get that into a v0.3 before the contest ends.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: February 20, 2020, 11:33:55 am »
+2

I'm changing out my entry
to a riff on Spices

Choose one:
$2 and +1 Buy;
or $1 and +2 Buys
-
When you buy this, you may overbuy. For each extra buy you spend, +1 Card when drawing your next hand during Clean up

overbuy is like overpay but you spend buys rather than $+potions. Should be pretty straightforward from that explanation but if you've got any questions, let me know.

Made some revisions based on feedback from the discord#variants

v1:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 07:52:12 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #62: +1 Buy and Use It Well
« Reply #4832 on: February 20, 2020, 04:12:10 pm »
+4

All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: February 20, 2020, 05:35:35 pm »

It's "+3 Coffers, you cannot buy cards this turn" most of the time. This might be great for megaturns, comparable to Tactician, but only having another source of +Buys. This card itself could be an enabler if it had "+2 Buys" on buy.

I'm also aware that buying gongfermors lets you empty potentially three piles in a turn. If you have six you can buy a gongfermor, trash a duchy and buy a crossroads for example. That's why I had to make it cost 4 so that its not viable to buy multiple gongfermors a turn. For this reason I'm reluctant to make it +2 buys.

I'd rather see this really shine in kingdoms where you might have other trashers especially knights (you can gongfermor for the knights who die in batttles) or when there's a strategic value to parking cards from the supply before your opponents buy them (like City). And occasionally it can be used to bring on the three pile ending too.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: February 20, 2020, 05:59:47 pm »

It's "+3 Coffers, you cannot buy cards this turn" most of the time. This might be great for megaturns, comparable to Tactician, but only having another source of +Buys. This card itself could be an enabler if it had "+2 Buys" on buy.

I'm also aware that buying gongfermors lets you empty potentially three piles in a turn. If you have six you can buy a gongfermor, trash a duchy and buy a crossroads for example. That's why I had to make it cost 4 so that its not viable to buy multiple gongfermors a turn. For this reason I'm reluctant to make it +2 buys.

I'd rather see this really shine in kingdoms where you might have other trashers especially knights (you can gongfermor for the knights who die in batttles) or when there's a strategic value to parking cards from the supply before your opponents buy them (like City). And occasionally it can be used to bring on the three pile ending too.

Rather than fully relying on Gongfermors to put cards from the supply into the trash, what if it started with some kinda basic cards _in_ the trash, like Necromancer does? Maybe like a Porcelain shop variant and a "+2 Actions. Trash a card from your hand." per player?

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: February 20, 2020, 06:27:25 pm »
+4

Contest #62: A card that has +1 Buy and uses it well.

[v0.2] Thanks everyone for the feedback! I was leaning towards a $2 cost stop card for Lumber Camp, but ultimately I went with GendoIkari's idea as it seems a little more forgiving if people accidentally overload on these early. I considered preventing interference from cards like Ill-Gotten Gains and Messenger, but I do believe a few hard counters is fine and does make the card overall more interesting. So this is likely more viable and stronger than I'd like it to be, but I do think it's in a good spot for testing and will likely be a lot of fun to try.

[v0.3] Okay, so I caved and removed the negative interactions with Messenger and Ill-Gotten Gains, etc. Thanks to grrgrrgrr for the suggestion.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg824582#msg824582

Lumber Camp: Action - $4
+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy, When this is gained during one of your first two turns of the game, if you: don't have Innovative, take Innovative; do have Innovative, flip it over to Twice Innovative.

Innovative: State
At the start of your turn, +1 Card per empty Supply pile.

Twice Innovative: State
At the start of your turn, +2 Cards per empty Supply pile.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:29:42 pm by Kudasai »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: February 20, 2020, 07:32:59 pm »

So when my opponent, who went first, gets their witch on turn 3, they can wreck my ability to be Twice Industrious?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 07:34:09 pm by spineflu »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: February 20, 2020, 08:41:30 pm »
+2

Contest #62: A card that has +1 Buy and uses it well.

A more expensive Woodcutter with potential draw rewards down the road. The +1 Buy helps empty piles, but will mostly get in the way early game. Skipping turns can net you Twice Industrious, but that is risky. Any feedback is always welcome!

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg824582#msg824582

Lumber Camp: Action - $4
+1 Buy, +$2, When this is one of your first two gains of the game and you: don't have Industrious, take Industrious; do have Industrious, flip it over to Twice Industrious.

Industrious: State
At the start of your turn, +1 Card per empty Supply pile.

Twice Industrious: State
At the start of your turn, +2 Cards per empty Supply pile.

I think the whole twice industrious seems to add swingyness and doesn't need to be there. I imagine going for it and getting $3 on turn 3. With just one Industrious it's more straightforward what your tradeoff is.

Maybe change first 2 gains to first 2 buys so weird interactions don't screw with this (someone opens Ill-Gotten-Gains).

As a whole, I wonder how many I'd buy. Unless there was absence of other +buy, I'd probably only ever buy one.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: February 21, 2020, 12:34:59 am »
+1

So when my opponent, who went first, gets their witch on turn 3, they can wreck my ability to be Twice Industrious?

I don't think Witch effects getting Twice Industrious, but even without that interaction it's probably a bad design anyways. I think I'll change its abilities to reflect a cost $2 card or make it a debt card. This way you don't have to rely on taking a chance and getting lucky. Thanks to you and Naitchman for the feedback.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: February 21, 2020, 08:50:39 am »
+1

If witch is on the kingdom, you are second, and your opponent opens 2/5 or 5/2, maybe lumber camp is not your best choice.
Your opponent is also foregoing their posibility of take twice industrious by going for witch.
Who trashes the trashers?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: February 21, 2020, 08:51:55 am »
+1

I don't think Witch effects getting Twice Industrious, but even without that interaction it's probably a bad design anyways. I think I'll change its abilities to reflect a cost $2 card or make it a debt card. This way you don't have to rely on taking a chance and getting lucky. Thanks to you and Naitchman for the feedback.
I mean, Witch, Marauder, even Messenger have the ability to mess that up for other players - rather than a cost wording, change it to "When this is one of your first two cards you gain during your turns" and you're fine.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: February 21, 2020, 09:01:17 am »
+2

My attempt at a Traveller line

Update: Altered the wording of Top Executive
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:43:45 pm by grrgrrgrr »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: February 21, 2020, 09:29:58 am »
+2

I mean, Witch, Marauder, even Messenger have the ability to mess that up for other players - rather than a cost wording, change it to "When this is one of your first two cards you gain during your turns" and you're fine.

I'd say: When you gain this during your first two turns,...
EDIT: and not bother with Twice Indistruous.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:49:05 am by grrgrrgrr »

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: February 21, 2020, 09:41:41 am »

What i think is that is not something that is bad per-se. Your opponent is also foregoing their "twice industrious" (maybe i'm only thinking on 2 players games). I think it becomes a little swingy with some heirlooms,
Who trashes the trashers?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: February 21, 2020, 10:32:25 am »
+3

I think it would work much better if Lumber Camp cost and gave +1 card, +1 action, +1 buy. This helps drain piles better (A Woodcutter barely helps drain piles), and costing makes getting 2 of them your first 2 gains much more realistic. It's still a weak opening at the cost of a benefit later in the game.

But I think as worded, it's far too poor of an opening to ever consider buying 2 of them right away.... completely skipping your turn; hoping that you get another next? No one will do that.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4845 on: February 21, 2020, 05:22:38 pm »
+3

Edit: New version here

Nickel Silver
$0 • Treasure
+$2
+1 Buy
While this is in play, cards cost $1 more.

Nickel Silver or German Silver doesn't actually contain any silver, it's an alloy of 60% copper, 20% nickel, and 20% zinc. It was used to make jewelry and cutlery that imitated the appearance of silver, but much cheaper (and lighter). It was only made in the West from the 18th century onwards, but it was known as "white copper" in China much earlier than that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:25:48 pm by Snowyowl »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: February 21, 2020, 06:04:11 pm »
+1

Rather than fully relying on Gongfermors to put cards from the supply into the trash, what if it started with some kinda basic cards _in_ the trash, like Necromancer does? Maybe like a Porcelain shop variant and a "+2 Actions. Trash a card from your hand." per player?

I actually thought about giving a set up rule that had players choose one or two 5 cost kingdom cards not in the supply and put a single copy of them into the trash. This would make a mini Black Market for the Gongfermor. But it felt like way too much decision making at the start of a game.

It could be possible to put a single card that gets retrashed like the following in the trash:
$6 Lost Ring - Treasure - +6, +1 Buy, When this would be discarded from play during clean up, put this into the trash instead.

But that would add to the original card text and moves me away from the focus of the competition I thought.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: February 22, 2020, 04:42:00 am »
+1

Nickel Silver
$0 • Treasure
+$2
+1 Buy
While this is in play, cards cost $1 more.

Nickel Silver or German Silver doesn't actually contain any silver, it's an alloy of 60% copper, 20% nickel, and 20% zinc. It was used to make jewelry and cutlery that imitated the appearance of silver, but much cheaper (and lighter). It was only made in the West from the 18th century onwards, but it was known as "white copper" in China much earlier than that.

I'd prefer if it were an Action card, so it could cooperate with stuff like Apprentice. Right now, it seems to be really weak, even worse than Herbalist.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: February 22, 2020, 05:33:33 am »
+1

Apprentice does not care about types and Nickel Silver is often better than Herbalist due to its non-terminality.

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: February 22, 2020, 06:08:37 am »
+4

Isn't nickel silver a copper that can turn into 0$ +1 buy if there's no other buy in the kingdom? It could be good with TfB if it weren't a treasure, but right now it's just a worse copper, and presumably you have to spend a buy getting it.

In the niche of "I need to buy this because there's no other +buy in the kingdom" I think this would be much better if you could gain it for free once per turn, it would create more interesting decisions.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.