Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547735 times)

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4675 on: February 07, 2020, 08:34:19 pm »

Judge
$3 - Action - Reaction

+1 Action
Look at the top card of your deck. Draw it, or trash it and draw a card.
--
When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand, to put that card onto your deck.

Am I missing something, because this seems like it's strictly better than a Lab? Guaranteed to draw two cards, +1 Action, and the option to trash one of those cards along with a top-decking reaction.

You parsed it wrong. The options are draw it; or trash it and draw a card. Not draw it or trash it, then draw a card.
Yes, that's the way it's intended to work. You only ever draw one card from it, but optionally you can also trash and/or topdeck.

I'll pay more attention to the clarity of my wording in this week's contest.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: February 07, 2020, 09:54:23 pm »

Two side Event card is nice, as usual Events affects only the player bought.

Angel
$3 - Events - Duration
Gain a gold.
Flip this over.
---
When you start your turn, discard down to 3 cards in hand.

Devils
$0 - Events - Duration
+1 Buy
Flip this over.
(This starts face up.)
---
When you start your turn, +1 Card.
You draw or discard even if you don't buy Angels or Devils.

Ghone
cost $2 - Event - Duration
Gain a card costing up to $5.
Flip this over.
---
When you start your turn, take your -$1 token.

Jukebox
cost $0 - Event - Duration
Flip this over.
(This starts face up.)
---
When you start your turn, +$1.

Rich
cost $2 - Event - Duration
Trash 2 cards from your hand.
Flip this over.
---
When you start your turn, gain a Copper.

Poor
cost $0 - Event - Duration
Flip this over.
(This starts face up.)
---
When you start your turn, you may trash a card from your hand.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:05:46 pm by majiponi »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: February 07, 2020, 10:15:28 pm »
+3

Single

There's only one copy of these cards, and they don't count towards the total count of piles (like Events etc.), nor does their absence count as an empty pile, but are otherwise bought and gained like normal cards in the supply.

Example:

Conflict
Action/Single - $3
+2 cards
Starting with the player to your left, each player trashes any number of cards from their hand. The player who trashed the most cards first gains this, and each other player gains a Curse.

Communion
Action/Single - $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Coffers
The player to your left gains this.
---
When you buy or trash this, put it on top of your deck.

Stock Market
Action/Duration/Single - $4
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+$2
+2 Buys
At the start of your next turn, if this is still in play, gain a Curse
---
While this card is in play, any player may buy it

Doorman
Action/Single - $2
+2 Cards
Put this on top of a supply pile
---
When you buy this, +1 buy

Subprovince
Action/Victory/Single - $7
Worth 5VP
-
Return this to the supply to gain a Province

King of the Hill
Action/Duration/Single - $5
Now and at the start of every turn it remains in play, you may reveal a non-Command non-Duration Action you don't have a copy of in play to play it twice (leave it in play). If you don't, return this to the supply and discard the Actions played by this.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:06:10 am by NoMoreFun »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: February 07, 2020, 10:50:05 pm »
+3

Thanks for the feedback on my last card. A new job meant I didn't have the headspace to improve it. But here's an early go at the next challenge (which is a cool challenge indeed.)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #4679 on: February 07, 2020, 11:07:11 pm »
+4

Here's my simple mechanic submission: Armor.  Armor is a new card type for cards which can be played normally OR can be "equipped" to specific cards to modify or add an effect to them for the remainder of the turn.  To activate an Armor card's equipping effect, it must be played immediately along with the card it's equipping (it can be played sideways underneath the equipped card to remind players they're using the equipping effect instead of its on-play effect). You may equip an eligible card with multiple Armor cards (resolving them in the order you choose) and you may equip an Armor card with another Armor card.  Most Armor cards have fairly powerful equipping abilities, though they must be lined up with their respective targets to work.  Their on-plays tend to be slightly weaker (as a consolation prize for not using the equip ability), and I also tried to make each card's two abilities interact with one another as well.

My example cards try to showcase some of the unique equipping triggers and abilities possible with Armor cards:

Greaves: A one-turn Lost Arts on the card it equips or a cantrip (that turns into a Village if you equip one with another).
Gauntlets: terminal silver on play, but adds a nice draw-to-X effect to Actions it equips.
Helm: A Copper that gains Golds, which you can later equip to trash and gain $5 cost cards.
Halberd: A Smithy with a mild discard attack. You can also equip to another Attack to add a Copper-junking ability.
Cuirass: Market Square on play, and a Ferry variant on the card it equips.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 02:04:09 pm by 4est »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #4680 on: February 08, 2020, 03:09:16 am »
+2

How is this mechanically different from “you may play an Action card for...“?

Only in the case of Cuirass does it to make a difference, but here Armor just eases tracking.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 03:18:30 am by segura »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: February 08, 2020, 07:56:23 am »
+1

Here's my simple mechanic submission: Armor.  Armor is a new card type for cards which can be played normally OR can be "equipped" to specific cards for an alternative effect.  To activate an Armor card's equipping effect, it must be played immediately along with the card it's equipping (it can be played sideways underneath the equipped card to remind players they're using the equipping effect instead of its on-play effect). You may equip an eligible card with multiple Armor cards (resolving them in the order you choose) and you may equip an Armor card with another Armor card.  Most Armor cards have fairly powerful equipping abilities, though they must be lined up with their respective targets to work.  Their on-plays tend to be slightly weaker (as a consolation prize for not using the equip ability), and I also tried to make each card's two abilities interact with one another as well.

My example cards try to showcase some of the unique equipping triggers and abilities possible with Armor cards:

Greaves: A very simple village, it's a Crossroads (without the draw) if it equips and a cantrip if it doesn't.
Gauntlets: Secret Chamber on play, but with some nice draw-to-X if played with another Action. Can get cute with some village support.
Helm: A Copper that gains Golds, which you can later equip to gain free $5 cost cards.
Axe: A trasher that Curses, while giving your opponent the chance to trash too.  Once you don't need the trashing or attack anymore, it can supercharge another Attack with some decent payload.
Cuirass: Market Square on play, and a Ferry variant on the card it equips.
Wow.

/Contest.  This is brilliant.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4682 on: February 08, 2020, 08:57:11 am »

i'm with segura here, you might want to focus equipping things to modifying the pile its equipped to (like Cuirass does), because otherwise its not noticably different than Throne Room / Conclave / Imp's "You may play an Action card"

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: February 08, 2020, 10:47:34 am »

Single

There's only one copy of these cards, and they don't count towards the toal count of piles (like Events etc.), but are otherwise bought and gained like normal cards in the supply.

Example:

Conflict
Action/Single - $3
+2 cards
Starting with the player to your left, each player trashes any number of cards from their hand. The player who trashed the most cards gains this, and each other player gains a Curse.

Communion
Action/Single - $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Coffers
-
I like this, kind of an inverse hot potatoe card.
If I understand how these cards are supposed to work correctly, the wording should be "Put this into the discard pile of the player to your left."

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4684 on: February 08, 2020, 11:00:21 am »

Single

There's only one copy of these cards, and they don't count towards the toal count of piles (like Events etc.), but are otherwise bought and gained like normal cards in the supply.

Example:

Conflict
Action/Single - $3
+2 cards
Starting with the player to your left, each player trashes any number of cards from their hand. The player who trashed the most cards gains this, and each other player gains a Curse.

Communion
Action/Single - $2
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Coffers
-

Awesome! I love this too. Communion is funny, as in it never stops rotating around the table, moving around players' decks (this is especially true since it can't be trashed). I think Conflict needs a way to break ties. For instance, if nobody trashes anything, then everyone is tied for 0 trashed cards. Who gains Conflict then? And who gains the Curses? Other than that, very novel idea! I would like to see more cards exploiting this idea. :)

I'll post my entry today... hopefully it is tweaked enough 'til then! I have this very... intricate idea. I fear it drifts away too much from simplicity though. And y'know what they say, the further you venture from a simple concept, the higher chance there is that errr... you screw up. Anyway. We'll see!
Bottom text

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: February 08, 2020, 11:16:44 am »
+4

I've decided to withdraw my previous entry, since it is a bit unwieldy and probably needs to have several cards of that type in the Kingdom for it to be interesting.

My simple mechanic is Reload. When a card says "+1 Reload", it means "shuffle your discard pile and put it onto your deck". If your discard pile is empty, nothing happens.

This allows for some potential topdecking mechanics, but it won't always hit. Here are some cards that demonstrate this:

Foundry (Action, $3)

Gain a card costing up to $4.
+1 Reload
+1 Card

Smelter (Treasure, $5)

+$2
Discard all Treasures in play.
+1 Reload

Spectre (Night, $3)

You may move a card you played this turn into your discard pile. If you did, +1 Reload.

Of course, if your discard pile is empty, you'll get the cards you discarded next turn. If not, then there's a chance you'll miss.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: February 08, 2020, 11:50:23 am »
+9

Workers are piles of cards with 5 cards in them each, and are another type of card-shaped thing, along with events, projects, and landmarks, and are randomized with them. When you buy a copy of a Worker, it goes in front of you. At any point during your action phase, you can tap, or turn sideways, a worker to receive the effect on the card. You can only tap a worker once per turn, even if it is untapped. During the Cleanup phase, you return all tapped Workers to their pile. Scribe should say "When you buy this," by the time I noticed, it was too late to change.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:34:44 pm by D782802859 »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: February 08, 2020, 12:01:35 pm »
+1

Only in the case of Cuirass does it to make a difference, but here Armor just eases tracking.

It seems like the only difference is that you can equip multiple Armours onto one card, I'm not really convinced that's worth a whole new mechanic to be honest. Although I like the general idea here.

Also the Equip ability on Greaves being contingent on having another Action seems pointless because you'd only ever want the +3 Actions when you have another Action to play after. So really Greaves could just be a simple choose one card and be practically identical, aside from a couple of edge cases.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: February 08, 2020, 02:34:07 pm »
+2

It seems like the only difference is that you can equip multiple Armours onto one card, I'm not really convinced that's worth a whole new mechanic to be honest. Although I like the general idea here.

Also the Equip ability on Greaves being contingent on having another Action seems pointless because you'd only ever want the +3 Actions when you have another Action to play after. So really Greaves could just be a simple choose one card and be practically identical, aside from a couple of edge cases.

Thanks all for the feedback, the Armor mechanic definitely needs to be more fleshed out than it is here.  I'll spend some time rethinking and post a revised submission soon.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: February 08, 2020, 03:49:44 pm »
+2

Rules are horizontal cards that give an effect that holds from the start of the game. They can be seen as Projects that are bought prior to the start of the game. Or as a Landmarks that do more than just altering the VP count. It is not recommended to play with more then two horizontal cards - be it Events, Landmarks, Projects and Rules.

About the five rules:
* Golden era: Basically a Delve for Golds. However, it does nerf Golds as TfB fodder quite hard.
* Modern Times: Wanna play Dominion with 6-card hands? Here is your chance! The starting deck is bigger to ensure the first shuffle still happens after T2.
* Accelerate: This card rewards the ability to play multiple cards a turn.
* Fair Start: This card forbids 5/2 openings, and also prevents unlucky 3-Estate draws later on. Plays rather awkward with Heirlooms/Shelters though.
* Heritage: When you own Renaissance, this card provides multiple rules for the price of one! I'm pretty sure the games where the set aside card is Cathedral are going to be very fun.

EDIT: Fixed the description of Modern Times, and slightly modified the descriptions of the cards themselves.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:35:31 am by grrgrrgrr »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: February 08, 2020, 04:05:05 pm »
+5

My entry for this week is a new Treasure subtype: Jewelry:

Normally your buy phase consists of of two sub phases: First, play your treasure cards (spend coffer, pay off debt); second, buy card(s) (or event(s), or project(s))

Treasure-Jewelry cards are are cards you can play any time during your buy phase. Frequently, they will care about what or how many cards you have bought.

Examples:

Notes on mechanic:
• Jewelry cards should generally have +1 Buy.
• They should generally be better if you play them after at least one buy.
• Originally, I considered Jewelry as its own type and Jewelry cards had to wait until a card was bought to be played. But they seemed more interesting as regular treasure cards that just don't get the extra benefit (or in the case of Necklace are handicapped) if you play them as regular treasures before before buying.

Notes on specific cards:
Ring - uses mechanic to encourage spending more buys
Bracelet - uses mechanic to care about other cards you bought
Necklace - uses mechanic to limit buy power of the card
Earrings - uses mechanic to limit buy power of the card
Jewelry Box - uses mechanic to encourage spending more buys and to interact with other cards that draw after you buy

Feedback on both the mechanic and example cards very welcome!

Older versions:

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:24:06 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: February 08, 2020, 04:24:56 pm »
+1

Normally your buy phase consists of of two sub phases: First, play your treasure cards (spend coffer, pay off debt); second, buy card(s) (or event(s), or project(s))

Treasure-Jewelry cards are are cards you can play any time during your buy phase. Frequently, they will care about cards you bought (and are better if you play them after at least one buy).

Examples:

Notes on mechanic:
• Originally, I considered Jewelry as its own type and Jewelry cards had to wait until a card was bought to be played. But they seemed more interesting as regular treasure cards that just don't get the extra benefit (or in the case of Necklace are handicapped) if you play them as regular treasures before before buying.
• Most Jewelry cards will have +1 Buy.
• I may change the color, for now I went with just changing the background to the treasure color so they're overall similar to Treasure cards, but with a noticeable difference
• Any suggestions on name / theme? I'm not in love with "Jewelry" but it's the best I could think of.

Notes on specific cards:
• Ring: A copper, unless you wait, can then get you coffers
• Bracelet: you can get 2 provinces for $15 instead of $16 (or less with multiple bracelets).
• Necklace: really benefits from waiting until after your first buy, though is buffed with events, projects, cards that cost only debt, etc. (is there a better way to phrase? The "or $0" clause seems inelegant, but necessary.
• I'm working on at least one more than will let you play treasures (useful when the kingdom allows you to draw cards after you buy, e.g. with Innovation

The mechanic looks fine, though fairly easy to forget. Two of your examples are fairly broken:
* Bracelet absolutely should cost $5. It compares extremely well to Bridge (nonterminal and produces $2), and Enhanced Silvers are never priced at $4.
* Necklace is completely unusable without external sources of +Buy. I'd therefore recommend to somehow involve a +Buy token, or make it part of a split pile.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: February 08, 2020, 04:42:27 pm »

Treasure-Jewelry cards are are cards you can play any time during your buy phase. Frequently, they will care about cards you bought (and are better if you play them after at least one buy).

Examples:

Notes on mechanic:
• Most Jewelry cards will have +1 Buy.
• I may change the color, for now I went with just changing the background to the treasure color so they're overall similar to Treasure cards, but with a noticeable difference
• Any suggestions on name / theme? I'm not in love with "Jewelry" but it's the best I could think of.

Notes on specific cards:
• Ring: A copper, unless you wait, can then get you coffers
• Bracelet: you can get 2 provinces for $15 instead of $16 (or less with multiple bracelets).
• Necklace: really benefits from waiting until after your first buy, though is buffed with events, projects, cards that cost only debt, etc. (is there a better way to phrase? The "or $0" clause seems inelegant, but necessary.
• I'm working on at least one more than will let you play treasures (useful when the kingdom allows you to draw cards after you buy, e.g. with Innovation

The mechanic looks fine, though fairly easy to forget.

Do you mean generally, or with the physical cards?
For the former, I'd hope that the text of the cards care about cards you've bought would help remind you of the new rule.

For the latter, I used the different background to try and differentiate from regular Treasures. Compare with Scepter, for example:

If that's not enough, I can play with the colors and change more drastically.

Two of your examples are fairly broken:
* Bracelet absolutely should cost $5. It compares extremely well to Bridge (nonterminal and produces $2), and Enhanced Silvers are never priced at $4.

Pricing is often my biggest challenge, so you're likely right. Do note, though, it only lowers after you've bought something else, so some of your coin will already be spent (unless you buy a Copper, but then you've bought a Copper and the discount is limited to only Treasures).

So working through some two province example:
1 Bridge vs 1 Bracelet: Bridge reduces each province by 1 and gives $1, so you need $13. Bracelet reduces only the 2nd province by $1, but provides an extra $1, so similarly also need $13. Tie.

2 Bridges vs 2 Bracelets: Bridge reduces each province by 2 and gives $2, so you need $10. Bracelet reduces only the 2nd province by $2, but provides an extra $2, so similarly also need $10. Difference is non terminal, so bridge needs help to play. Advantage: Bracelet

3 Bridges vs 3 Bracelets: Bridge reduces each province by 3 and gives $3, so you need $7. Bracelet reduces only the 2nd province by $3, but provides an extra $3. However this time, you need $8 for the first (and end with $1 left over). Still non terminal, so Necklace still probably has the advantage, but is dependent on other factors. (in a kingdom with villagers, maybe the advantage goes to Bridge)

So I think maybe it's not so broken, but still likely makes sense as a $5. (the enhanced silver argument is a good one).

* Necklace is completely unusable without external sources of +Buy. I'd therefore recommend to somehow involve a +Buy token, or make it part of a split pile.

I don't understand how Necklace is unusable without other buys.

Hand of Gold, Gold, Necklace: you first play 2 golds, buy another gold, then place necklace and buy a silver. (but you can't buy a province since if you play necklace before you buy, you're limited to cards that cost 0).

Necklace was one of the more challenging to come up with, but I hoped a creative use of the mechanic.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:19:41 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: February 08, 2020, 04:48:33 pm »

Rules are horizontal cards that give an effect that holds from the start of the game. They can be seen as Projects that are bought prior to the start of the game. Or as a Landmarks that do more than just altering the VP count. It is not recommended to play with more then two horizontal cards - be it Events, Landmarks, Projects and Rules.

About the five rules:
* Golden era: Basically a Delve for Golds. However, it does nerf Golds as TfB fodder quite hard.
* Modern Times: Wanna play Dominion with 6-card hands? Here is your chance! Maybe I will implore to add two extra cards to the starting deck.
* Accelerate: This card rewards the ability to play multiple cards a turn.
* Fair Start: This card forbids 5/2 openings, but instead enables premature shuffles.
* Heritage: When you own Renaissance, this card provides multiple rules for the price of one! I'm pretty sure the games where the set aside card is Cathedral are going to be very fun.

Rules are nice - much better than overloading Landmarks. Fair Start would be problematic in a game with Shelters. Also heirlooms: I draw 5 coppers and have to "start over", while you draw 4 coppers and an heirloom and get the (probable) advantage.

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4694 on: February 08, 2020, 05:10:51 pm »
+3

I present you the Strength mechanic. Strength is essentially some kind of resource that does not accumulate over time, but rather that you have at a given moment in your play area and/or your hand. Just like , really. Cards that involve this mechanic are wine colored and come with the “Strength” label on the bottom of them. This is how you recognise such cards. If Strength cards are used in a game, I recommend using 2 Kingdoms being Strength typed, just like Donald recommend at least 2 Potion Kingdoms if they are used. However, a lone Strength Kingdom in a game will work just fine. Likewise, more than 2 Strength cards in a game can also work. If you like to get mot chaotic, then get crazy!  ;D

Now, how does it work? Strength cards all provide Strength, denoted with this icon: . Each given to you appears on the bottom of the Strength cards, under an horizontal line.

How do you utilize these given ? What do they do for you? Well. Each Strength typed card come with a “If most ” clause. If, when you compare your number of with the number of each other player has individually, you have the most (and NOT tied for the most), then you must perform that clause. Otherwise, you do not gain the bonuses granted by that condition. Sometimes, you’ll have an “Otherwise” part afterwards. If you did not have the most , then you must perform everything stated after that clause. It probably won't be good for you.

So how do you compare your number of against other players’? First, this comparison happens IMMEDIATELY when you play a Strength card. Do whatever the card says and then, when you reach the “If most ” part, you do the comparison. Each Strength card in play from THE ACTIVE PLAYER have their added up. This is the ACTIVE PLAYER’S TOTAL. Then, each OTHER PLAYER, starting from the left of the active player and going clockwise, may or may not reveal Strength cards from their hand. This number is not limited, players may reveal any number of Strength cards from their hand. These other players then add up all of their own revealed , and this is their own total.The moment another player beats your total, the comparison stops and you fail the “If most ” clause of your card. You must perform the “Otherwise” part, if there is any. Your total must be compared again each time you play a Strength card, even in the same turn.

What I expect out of this mechanic:
  • Intense battles for Strength cards. Usually, they are underpriced compared to what they can do if fully powered. You do not want to let your adversaries run wild with these, especially since some of them are also nasty Attacks. This might make you reconsider certain Buys you would have otherwise taken and make mundane Province rush games a little trickier to balance. Winning a split of Strength cards should be at your advantage, since you are expected to have more in your deck, allowing you to trigger the most of these cards and circumventing your opponents to use theirs. The good part about it is that it’s not all lost though. There’s still some luck in your draws involved, although getting more Strength cards improve your odds.
  • The idea behind Strength cards was also to up the player *direct* interactions outside of stuff like Attack cards. I got partially inspired by Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization (which I must’ve played 500 or more games of).
  • Another important point to consider here is that the first player advantage part of getting Strength cards first is mitigated. Because your opponent(s) might've drawn their Strength card(s) on their first shuffle, negating your own Strength card.
Here are 12 Kingdom cards utilising this mechanic. I know this is more than what this challenge limited us to, but this was to demonstrate how multiple concepts would intertwine with Strength cards. These are sorted by complexity, with the simpler cards being presented first.

Pikemen (Action – Strength)
+1 Action
+1 Card
If most : +1 Card

This is the simplest, most straight-forward Strength card out of the set. A Laboratory, if you have the most , what’s not to love? Well, your opponent trying to deny you of this a-little-too-easy-path-to-victory-thank-you, for one. Then it’s a useless cantrip. Again, for . Suddenly, it’s not really worth it anymore, isn’t it?

Flamethrowers (Action – Attack – Strength)
If most : +2 Cards. You may trash
up to 5 cards from your hand. Each
other player with 5 or more cards
reveal their hand and you may discard
1 of their cards costing or less.

Flamethrowers was bonkers before! 3 on a single card is just too much. It should never get that overpowered. Especially if you’re the first one to afford one. This is how you nullify your competition, pretty much. So now it is worth 2 . Secondly, you can now trash up to 5, not 6. Small change, but eh. Finally, it doesn’t trash a card of your choice from your opponents’ hands costing up to anymore, it discards it. Still mean, but it’s not a deck killer at least.

Experimental Magic (Action – Attack – Strength)
You may trash a card from your hand.
If most : Each other player gains a
Curse onto their deck.
Otherwise: Gain a Curse.

I wasn’t lying when I said “there’ll be more”, when it comes to Attacks. This one’s a Curser. This was the last card I added to this set, out of curiosity to see how a Strength card would interact with Curses. So here it is. This is our first “Otherwise” card, meaning your plans can fail miserably. Thus, this might be a self-Curser if used incorrectly. But but but, it can trash. So if you failed your little magical experiment, then you’ll always have the possibility of trashing the Curse it induced. It is terminal, has a Sea Hag mechanic and so I priced it at .

Open Borders (Action – Attack – Strength)
+
If most : Each other player with 4 cards
or more in hand discards a card. You may
gain a card costing up to more than a
discarded card.
Otherwise: Discard 2 cards.

Did I say I got inspired by Through the Ages : A New Story of Civilization? I hope this is proof enough, here. Thematically, we have something funny here. You try to take advantage of an open border agreement with neighboring civilizations, planning a foray into their land, taking what you can. However, this can backfire if they planned to make the most of that agreement themselves beforehand. So, either you Militia yourself, or you make them discard to potentially gain something. End games are going to be funny with this one. A careless Attacked player might think they’re smart by discarding a Province to Open Borders. “It was useless in my hand anyway”, they might say. Until they realize that they just allowed you to gain a Province yourself. Oops.

Trenches (Action – Reaction – Strength)
Discard 1 card and +2 Cards.

When another player plays an Attack card,
you may reveal this once, after the Attack.
If most : +2 Cards.

Trenches simply doesn’t make you discard anymore when you use it as a Reaction. Why would you want to actively hurt yourself when Reacting is supposed to help you? Isn’t the Attack you’re Reacting to enough?

Pickpocket (Action – Attack – Strength)
+
Each other player discards down to 4
cards.
If most : + and each other
player discards down to 3 cards.

Reveal your hand. Worth 1 if you
have 1 or fewer Treasure card in
your hand.
I said there was more upcoming Attack cards, but it won’t be all that, I swear! Anyway, we are now entering “varying amount of ” territory. Pickpocket works well in a deck with barely any Treasures. In contrast, it bodes well against Big Money goers. Big Money guys probably won’t be able to get their going from Pickpocket, but a thinned Engine deck will. So you’re probably going to come out on top when comparing if that’s what you’re going for. Now, as it is, this card is a weaker Militia for its price. Unless you trigger Pickpocket’s full effects. Then it’s a super Militia ! Worth mentioning that the “reveal your hand” part is unconditional. You must do it when you play the Pickpocket.

Strategic Village (Action – Strength)
+1 Card
If most : +2 Actions,
+1 Buy and +

Worth 1 if this is in play.
Otherwise, worth 2
It is now a riskier Village. I changed this because chaining these was too easy. Besides, it’s more thematically coherent now. This village represents a bastion of safety. Thus, using it as a sort of “defense” against someone who’s doing a display of strength should be what Strategic Village tries to accomplish. And now it does. It is weaker in play than it is in hand. Other players can block your little engine with less trouble with this new version.

Gunpowder Barrel (Action – Reserve – Strength)
+1 Action
Put this on your Tavern mat.

At the start of your turn, you may call
this.
If most : +

Worth 1 per Gunpowder Barrel on
your Tavern mat.
This, a cantrip? No. Suffered the “it was too easy to get there” syndrome, again. So now it just does “+1 Action” before being put on your Tavern Mat.

Palisade/Archers (Action – Strength)
This pile starts the game
with 5 copies of Palisade on
top, then 5 copies of
Archers. Only the top card
of the pile can be gained or
bought.

Palisade (Action – Strength)
+1 Card
+1 Action
When you buy this, you may trash a
card from your hand.

Worth 1 if you have another
Palisade in play. Otherwise,
worth 2 .

Archers (Action – Attack – Duration – Strength)
Choose: +1 Card; or +
You may discard any
number of Palisades, each
for + .
If most : Each other
player has – until the start
of your next turn.
And then, we have Archers, again. I mentioned in my original post that I was the most unsure about this card. I still am. But this looks... better, now? Discarding Palisades will give you your money, but will drive you further away from the Attack part. And you have the choice of +1 Card or + . Choices, man. Hey, speaking of Palisades. Now, it goes like this: You play a Palisade. Congrats, you have 2 . Now you play another one. Your total is still 2. Because they are now worth 1 each. Other people’s Palisades are still packing their full 2 punch. And this is what Palisades should do: Be used more as a defense than as an attack. This new scaling is pretty neat, I think.

Plunderer (Action – Strength)
+1 Card
+1 Action
If most : Choose up to 2: + ; or
trash 1 card from your hand; or gain
a card costing up to .

Worth 1 if there is another
Plunderer in play, or worth 1 if
the turn isn’t yours.
He had a hard time, so now, if this is catharsis enough, he can pick up to 2 things in the list of things he can do. Trivially superior to what it was before, in my opinion.

Roads (Action – Strength)
+2 Cards
If most : +2 Cards
Otherwise: Discard 2 cards.

Worth 1 if this is in play, or
worth 2 if you reveal
another Roads from your hand
and the turn isn't yours.
This one’s so niche. A cheaper Smithy that can be weaker or better. When I mean weaker, I mean way weaker! Not even worth kinda weak. And when I mean better, I mean way better! +4 cards at is the deal of the century. This is the only card where, in a vacuum, you’ll have an easier time getting the most playing it rather than revealing it. It should be the opposite in retrospective. I dunno. Help me. ;D

Recession (Treasure – Strength)

If most : +
Otherwise: –

Worth 1 if 3 other Treasures are in
play, or worth 1 if you reveal 2
other Treasures from your hand.
Last but not the least! A Strength/Treasure hybrid! This card simulates a situation where your civilization’s strength and might can make you easily overcome a period of economic toughness, or where your civilization didn’t get strong enough to prepare for the harsh Recession at hand. So this is either a Copper or a Gold, depending of your Strength. You have 2 ways to go about this one and this can create quite the dilemma. Big Money enabler here, in my opinion.

EDIT: Edited this post. Removed a lot of useless paragraphs of text. Added a rule change as to how your Strength is compared to other players’ Strength. Added the modification to certain cards.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 09:16:52 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4695 on: February 08, 2020, 08:40:19 pm »
+1

Mine is simpleish but is kinda similar to other ideas seen here.
Introducing Equipment cards. These are cards that have an on play effect and can cycle round your deck as usual. However, once you play them, you have the option to Carry them, putting them in front of you in a fashion similar to Duration cards. While carried, these cards have a small lingering effect, like Hireling or Champion, that happens at regular intervals. At any time during your turn, you can stop carrying them and put them in your discard pile to be shuffled back into your deck. Basically, they are like Durations that can be kept out for as long as you want until you want them back. Of course, you can keep them out permanently...

Villager's Backpack
$4
Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may Carry this.
-------
While carried: At the start of each of your turns, +1 Action.

Blacksmith's Hammer
$7
Action
+2 Cards
You may Carry this.
-------
While carried: At the start of each of your turns, +1 Card.

Woodcutter's Axe
$5
Action
+1 Buy
+$2
You may Carry this.
-------
While carried: At the start of each of your turns, +1 Buy, +$1

The King's Letter
$5
Treasure
$2
You may Carry this.
-------
While carried: When you gain a card, you may put it onto your deck.

Drunkard's Bottle
$4
Action
+1 Action
+$3
Carry this.
-------
While carried: You may not discard this until you buy a Copper in one of your turns.

Hopefully this makes sense.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: February 08, 2020, 09:26:14 pm »
+4

Villager's Backpack
$4
Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may Carry this.
-------

Carrying this is effectively the same as playing a Village every turn, which makes it a cheap Barracks and strictly better than Walled Village. In addition to being way too strong for , there's no real reason not to just permanently Carry it except for a few edge cases.

Blacksmith's Hammer
$7
Action
+2 Cards
You may Carry this.
-------

+2 Cards from an Action is net +1 handsize. +1 Card at the start of your turn is also net +1 handsize, but doesn't take an Action. So, just like Villager's Backpack, there's no reason not to Carry this forever except for a few edge cases. It might as well just be a Hireling that also gives +2 Cards on play.

Woodcutter's Axe
$5
Action
+1 Buy
+$2
You may Carry this.
-------

Carrying this is effectively the same as playing a Market every turn, for the same price as a single Market, which is way too strong, even though it's technically not strictly better than a Market.

The King's Letter
$5
Treasure
$2
You may Carry this.
-------

You can just discard this during the Clean-up phase of the same turn, to mimic the effect of Royal Seal. Which makes this strictly better than Royal Seal at the same price.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 09:27:28 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: February 09, 2020, 07:41:16 am »

Introducing Equipment cards. These are cards that have an on play effect and can cycle round your deck as usual. However, once you play them, you have the option to Carry them, putting them in front of you in a fashion similar to Duration cards. While carried, these cards have a small lingering effect, like Hireling or Champion, that happens at regular intervals. At any time during your turn, you can stop carrying them and put them in your discard pile to be shuffled back into your deck. Basically, they are like Durations that can be kept out for as long as you want until you want them back. Of course, you can keep them out permanently...

Villager's Backpack
$4
Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may Carry this.
-------

Blacksmith's Hammer
$7
Action
+2 Cards
You may Carry this.
-------

Woodcutter's Axe
$5
Action
+1 Buy
+$2
You may Carry this.
-------

The King's Letter
$5
Treasure
$2
You may Carry this.
-------

Drunkard's Bottle
$4
Action
+1 Action
+$3
Carry this.
-------
While carried: You may not discard this until you buy a Copper in one of your turns.

Hopefully this makes sense.
This mechanic seems like it's being misused. None of the cards have any reason for you to not just permanently carry them, other than Villager's Backpack, and that's because it has a penalty. There should be at least some Equipment cards with a reason to carry and a reason to not carry. Also, is Equipment a card type? It isn't on the cards and probably should be.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: February 09, 2020, 08:13:38 am »

Villager's Backpack
$4
Action
+1 Card
+2 Actions
You may Carry this.
-------

I wonder about the consequences of giving carrying the following negative effect; all cards cost you one more to buy for each card you are carrying. This seems like a reasonable trade off for Villagers Backpack at least. It would allow you to reduce the cost of Blacksmiths Hammer and Drunkards bottle by two. Kings Letter and Woodcutters Axe may become nonviable though. It also creates an effect where you don't want to carry too much which makes sense.
Just a thought.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: February 09, 2020, 08:53:35 am »
+11

I did a spot of GIMPing for my entry:

The card cost, spending the cards you have in your hand to buy things. Hopefully it's self-explanatory so as to pass the simple test! Just in case it isn't...

The card symbol signifies that you need to have certain cards in your hand to afford the bought thing, and the instructions will signify what exactly. You'd only ever have 1 card symbol in the cost, even if you make several hand setups possible. It joins debt and Potion as a different type of cost.

The 3 example cards. Example is the operative word here, they may be way off balance:
  • Magnate is a card you get in 2 stages, first get a Gold then later use a buy to change it for this. This felt like it should give you a strong card, maybe $7 or $8 strong, so here's something that hopefully fits: an effect that would be broken on a $ cost card.
  • Coach House requires payment of two Action cards. It was nearly one, something you could pick up with a terminal clash, but going with two lets it be bigger and better, and it's more of a distinct sacrifice. Making $8+ strength cards seems to be one of the biggest advantages to the card cost.
  • Highwayman is here to show several things the first two examples don't. It requires payment of both $4 and 3 cards in hand to discard, which is reasonably hard to do early, like about $5 or $6 strong, but it's different. You can't gain it with Workshop, it beats $4s in a Chariot Race but doesn't beat $5s, $4+debt or $4P.
    The Attack is not just 'when another player buys a card, they discard a card'. If they have an empty hand, they can't afford anything. And because of adding the card cost on, all Workshops bar (Tragic) Hero become useless. Highwaymen won't stack either, since after the first one is played, all cards have a card cost so later ones won't work.

Other musings I had:
  • A card cost of 'discard 5 cards' wouldn't just be very cheap but potentially mundane: 'do I try to use this hand or just grab one of those?'
  • 'Discard 6 cards' wouldn't always be attainable, but put it at the bottom of a split pile with a drawing top and it could work. You could do quite a bit with card costs and split piles, actually...
  • Having the choice between a card or $ cost, choose how to pay, could be a thing too.

Edit: added explanations.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:00:23 pm by Aquila »
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 21 queries.