Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547039 times)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4625 on: January 31, 2020, 10:46:42 am »
+8

Here's my submission. Might have to tweak the effect or price.

Your opponents can save (bribe the judge) to spare some of his cards, and then you judge which card is guilty.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: January 31, 2020, 11:54:44 am »
+4

I am replacing my submission with a ladder, keeping the idea of restitution.

Law Student
$2 - Action - Traveller
+2 Cards. Discard a card.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Clerk.

Clerk
$3* - Action - Traveller
Gain a card costing up to $3 into your hand.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Attorney.
(This is not in the supply)

Attorney
$4* - Action - Traveller
Name an Action card. +3 Cards. Discard 3 Cards. You may play the named card from your hand, if you did, +1 Action.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Prosecutor.

Prosecutor
$5* - Action - Attack - Traveller
+1 Action, +$2. Each other player discards an Attack card or reveals a hand with no Attack cards.
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Judge.

Judge
$6* - Action - Duration
Now and at the start of each of your subsequent turns: +1 Buy, you may trash a card from your hand for +1VP.
(This remains in play)
While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack cars, choose one: +1 Coffer, or you are unaffected by the attack.

Law Student is a weak sifter.
Clerk can prepare minor paperwork and earn a Silver or something.
Attorney is a sifting village, but only if you know exactly (or can guess) what you are planning to present.
Prosecutor deprives the opponents from attacks, but does not touch peaceful commoners.
Judge is generating honor and deflecting/mildening attacks.

Hopefully the pricing is correct.
Edit: tweaked Judge to make him less powerful en masse (usually you only need one fully evolved traveller)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:58:21 pm by grep »

Barbarossa41

• Alchemist
  • Shuffle iT Username: Barbarossa41
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: January 31, 2020, 03:58:57 pm »
+1

Judge $5 Action-Reaction-Attack

+1 Card
+1 Action
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard any number of copies of this from your hand to set that card aside onto that player's Jail mat with a debt token on it for each copy discarded.  Each time they shuffle their deck, they remove a debt token, then if the card has no debt tokens on it, place the card on the bottom of their deck. During a players turn, they may spend a buy and $3 to remove a debt token.

P.S. How do I attach an image?

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: January 31, 2020, 04:02:57 pm »
+1

P.S. How do I attach an image?
Use the generator: https://shardofhonor.github.io/dominion-card-generator/index.html
Or if you mean "how to add the image to the post": [ img width=300 ]http://somewhere/image.png[ /img ] <- remove spaces
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:04:25 pm by grep »

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
  • Respect: +1113
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4629 on: January 31, 2020, 04:15:40 pm »
+2

Judge $5 Action-Reaction-Attack

+1 Card
+1 Action
-
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard any number of copies of this from your hand to set that card aside onto that player's Jail mat with a debt token on it for each copy discarded.  Each time they shuffle their deck, they remove a debt token, then if the card has no debt tokens on it, place the card on the bottom of their deck. During a players turn, they may spend a buy and $3 to remove a debt token.

Huh. That's quite funny, I was doing something along the lines of a cantrip "when another player plays an Attack card" as well.

Here's my attempt:

The spirit behind this card is that having a prosecutor on the table should scare unlawful behaviours away (in Dominion's case, Attacks). Also, there's that cute part about there being only one Judge at a time on the table. Functionally and thematically, I think this is a pretty neat way to go about it. A cantrip duration Moat seems rightly priced to me at , but do say so if you believe it might be wrong.

Edit: Dang. Grep, I just realised that the unaffected by other players' Attacks is something you've done on your Judge card too. The similarity is only coincidental though. I didn't mean to copy.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 08:44:50 pm by X-tra »
Bottom text

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: January 31, 2020, 07:34:21 pm »
+1

I've made a small change but I think it's much better now and makes more sense as an action. Now if you play it during your turn you will draw a fresh hand and some of your actions might be in play saving them from any judgement. It's still risky as you could get good cards in both piles but the option to clear out a lot of junk seems worth it.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: January 31, 2020, 10:36:51 pm »

This looks like an Event candidate, as it is unlikely to be played more than once during the game, and Events are bought after Treasures played, keeping them safe.
Does the player control the size of piles? Is it OK to split unevenly, or even trash everything not in play?

Edit: Dang. Grep, I just realised that the unaffected by other players' Attacks is something you've done on your Judge card too. The similarity is only coincidental though. I didn't mean to copy.
X-tra, no problem, shielding Attacks is quite natural for a card named Judge.
The card looks too weak - even without the exclusivity clause it's worse than Lighthouse. I suggest to add some significant delayed bonus

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4632 on: February 01, 2020, 12:49:00 am »

X-tra, no problem, shielding Attacks is quite natural for a card named Judge.
The card looks too weak - even without the exclusivity clause it's worse than Lighthouse. I suggest to add some significant delayed bonus

To me, this Judge variant feels like it'd be stronger the more players are present in the game. I considered making this of varying cost depending of the number of players in the game. This would have been a 0*, with its cost being increased by 1 per player. Felt too wordy at this point though. Could this be tweaked so that it stays in play until an Attack card is played? This would put that sort of useless cantrip out of your deck until its usefulness has been fulfilled. This would shut off other Judges until one decides to Attack that one active Judge.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:51:02 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: February 01, 2020, 01:35:38 am »
+1

This idea needs work; but, I think it could be pretty fun.

Split-pile with non-supply Judge and Artifact: the Gavel.

Criminal - top half 6 cards
Advocate - bottom half 6 cards
Judge (non-supply) - gained via Advocates & Money
Gavel - gained via Judge
Verdict Token - self-explanatory

« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 01:26:09 pm by Saul Goodman »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: February 01, 2020, 03:31:57 am »

Unless the Kingdom leads to a high demand of cantrips that do nothing, e.g. due to Conspirator or Golem or Herald, Advocated are not gonna see the light of day.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: February 01, 2020, 05:32:40 am »
+3

I also did a legal judge (feels most like Dominion), and I also did a Gavel artifact... If there are objections, I can make it a wig.

I know Guilty should just be -5VP by itself rather than 'when scoring...', but you can't add anything else on then. Overall a kinda strategic card that's maybe a little funny. He intentionally isn't an Attack, it doesn't make thematic sense and it's hard to pull the attack off.

Also, I intentionally avoid putting pictures on my contest entries to be safe from any possible legal issues. If they're good cards they can always get safe pictures later.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4636 on: February 01, 2020, 07:29:11 am »
+1

@Saul Goodman - you can get the +VP (and +$) symbols smaller on the card mock up generator by putting a space between the + and the symbol; this should make the rest of Judge more readable
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 11:26:53 am by spineflu »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: February 01, 2020, 07:50:59 am »
+1

(it just flips itself to Sentenced)
Judge
Types: Action, Attack
Cost: $5
+$3. Each other player who has Sentenced returns it and discards their hand. Each other player who doesn't have Condemned or Sentenced may reveal a hand with no cards costing $5 or more in it. Otherwise, they take Condemned.
Condemned
Types: State
At the start of your turn, flip this over to Sentenced.
Sentenced
Types: State
When you gain a Victory card or a card costing at most $2, you may return this.
Judge is an Attack that makes other players lose an entire turn!  First it hands out Condemned which becomes Sentenced at the start of their turn (this is to ensure that players have at least one turn with Sentenced before being affected by Judge).  Then the player can get a cheap card or a Victory card, or else run the risk of discarding their hand.

Do note that a player can avoid Condemned by not having a $5 card in hand, so a player who opens with Judge can only Condemn other players with similar $5 openings, and a player who has no hand will necessarily be unaffected.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: February 01, 2020, 12:55:29 pm »
+1

Here's my submission this week: Judge.  Judge is a sort of Jester-variant, still a terminal silver and gainer, though with greater emphasis on the gaining and non-attack interaction.  It's the classic you cut the cake, I pick a slice mechanic.  Your opponent might choose two good cards to take advantage of the free gain or two mediocre to minimize the benefit to you and damage to them.  This can eat up piles especially in 3+ player games (like Jester), but hopefully allows for interesting choices both for who plays the card and their opponents, depending on the kingdom and game state.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: February 01, 2020, 08:54:09 pm »
+5

Judge
Type: Action
Cost: $6

+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. Pick two of them. The player to your left chooses one: discard the picked cards or the other cards. Put the rest into your hand.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: February 02, 2020, 02:11:51 am »

That's an old one, eHalcyon did one called Harbinger for the contests long ago. But yours is correctly priced and of course the idea is super cool.

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: February 02, 2020, 10:23:17 am »
+2

That's an old one, eHalcyon did one called Harbinger for the contests long ago. But yours is correctly priced and of course the idea is super cool.
Thank you. I did not see that card before, but in fact both cards are different. Harbinger forces the opponent to do the split. With Judge, you have to perform the split yourself (which means, if you want a certain card, you can always get it, even if it comes paired with a bad one). Unlike Harbinger is also not possible to do a 1/4 split. Pricing is very difficult. For example, if your top cards are 2 Platium and then 3 Estates, this is normally worse than a Lab, but better than a Scout. There is also a difference between draw and put-in-hand, if you have the -1 Card token on your deck.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 10:29:07 am by King Leon »

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: February 02, 2020, 10:53:39 am »
+1

Also, I intentionally avoid putting pictures on my contest entries to be safe from any possible legal issues.
Bravo!

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: February 02, 2020, 09:55:46 pm »
+1

Judge
cost $6 - Action - Attack
You may sentence "Guilty". If you do, +$2, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals their hand and discards a card, your choose. Otherwise, gain a Gold to your hand.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: February 03, 2020, 04:01:11 am »
+1

Split pile (5 of each, Executioners on top). The Innocent token starts on Estate, the Guilty token starts on Province.

Executioner
Action - $3
+1 Card
+1 Action
Trash a card from your hand. If its pile has the Guilty token, gain a Gold to your hand. If it has the Innocent token, gain a Curse.

Judge
Action - $5
+$3
Place the Guilty and Innocent tokens on Supply piles of your choice.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:10:40 am by NoMoreFun »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: February 03, 2020, 04:17:16 am »

Judge
cost $6 - Action - Attack
You may sentence "Guilty". If you do, +$2, each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals their hand and discards a card, your choose. Otherwise, gain a Gold to your hand.
I don't think the card text should include unnecessary flavor. This could be rephrased as
Choose one:
+2$, and each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals their hand and discards a card that you choose.
Gain a Gold to your hand.
On a mechanical level, I think a non-one shot version of Pillage should not exist. If you want this, I would weaken the attack, for instance by letting them draw a replacement card (of course then you need another way to prevent stacking these).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

X-tra

• Witch
  • Text under avatar
    • View Profile
    • a
« Reply #4646 on: February 03, 2020, 09:17:18 am »
+1

Modified my Judge attempt so that it isn't strictly worse than Lighthouse (and its price is higher too). Now it stays in play until you get Attacked, which shields you from it and promptly discards your Judge. Still, only 1 Judge can be in play at a time. If another player has one in play and you'd like to be under the protection of your own Judge, then you must Attack that player for that to happen. And if you have no Attack cards in your hand but have a Judge, no worries: It's a cantrip. It self replaces anyway. I just hope I worded everything correctly on that card.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 10:17:18 am by X-tra »
Bottom text

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: February 03, 2020, 03:51:20 pm »
+3

Judge
$3 - Action - Reaction

+1 Action
Look at the top card of your deck. Draw it, or trash it and draw a card.
--
When you gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand, to put that card onto your deck.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: February 03, 2020, 06:36:08 pm »
+3

Modified my Judge attempt so that it isn't strictly worse than Lighthouse (and its price is higher too). Now it stays in play until you get Attacked, which shields you from it and promptly discards your Judge. Still, only 1 Judge can be in play at a time. If another player has one in play and you'd like to be under the protection of your own Judge, then you must Attack that player for that to happen. And if you have no Attack cards in your hand but have a Judge, no worries: It's a cantrip. It self replaces anyway. I just hope I worded everything correctly on that card.

Put +$1 token on this.
Draw your deck.
Play Judge A.
Play Judge B.
Play Judge C.
Now you can replay Judge B.

Need to stop loops.

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: February 03, 2020, 07:38:41 pm »
+1

Put +$1 token on this.
Draw your deck.
Play Judge A.
Play Judge B.
Play Judge C.
Now you can replay Judge B.

Need to stop loops.
Maybe introduce a (gavel-shaped  :D) token for the current Judge.
"+1 Card, +1 Action; if the Gavel token is unclaimed, put it on this card. This card stays in play while the Gavel token is on it. When another player plays an Attack card, discard this from play and return the Gavel token; you are unaffected by that attack"
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 07:40:19 pm by grep »
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.