Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546187 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4575 on: January 23, 2020, 02:56:55 pm »

Here is my submission this week. Machine is a Herald variant with a terminal +2 cards on top instead of cantrip, and mandatory trashing if it doesn't hit an Action.  Early game, its draw and trashing help you cycle and thin quickly, enabling the nice action density that want in the mid-game for the Herald effect.  When you hit an action, Machine essentially acts as a double lab, but be careful, this comes at the risk of drawing actions dead or eating valuable Treasures or VP cards.  Without good deck tracking or set-up, there often comes a point where it's no longer safe to play.

Machines are efficient, but dangerous if not handled properly.
Me imagining buying this card: haha, I have successfully shuffled the machines to be every third card so i draw my entire deck

Me actually playing this card: Well, there's been three provinces i've trashed with a Machine, but maybe this time it'll work

basically, i have deep respect for its hubris opportunities and look forward to experiencing them.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:28:45 pm by spineflu »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: January 23, 2020, 03:05:45 pm »

I think you should call this Instrument given the precision it requires as the game progresses.  Or maybe Surgeon.

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: January 23, 2020, 03:06:53 pm »
+1

Here is my submission this week. Machine is a Herald variant with a terminal +2 cards on top instead of cantrip, and mandatory trashing if it doesn't hit an Action.  Early game, its draw and trashing help you cycle and thin quickly, enabling the nice action density that want in the mid-game for the Herald effect.  When you hit an action, Machine essentially acts as a double lab, but be careful, this comes at the risk of drawing actions dead or eating valuable Treasures or VP cards.  Without good deck tracking or set-up, there often comes a point where it's no longer safe to play.

Me imagining buying this card: haha, I have successfully shuffled the machines to be every third card so i draw my entire deck

Me actually playing this card: Well, there's been three provinces i've trashed with a Machine, but maybe this time it'll work

I laughed!

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: January 23, 2020, 03:19:21 pm »
+1

Here's my submission for now:

priced at $4 bc it's slightly worse than bazaar.

Cool card!  Is this strictly better than Herald?  I think I would go here above Herald almost every time.  I think it might be underpriced.  Maybe you can do something like let the other players draw and discard a card to balance it out at $4?  Just my .02!  Cool card!

When Herald succeeds, it is like +2 cards. When Scribe succeeds, it is like +1 card.
Yep. 

But doesn't +1$, plus extra sift, plus a much greater likelihood of hitting an action more than account for that?  In most like kingdoms, I am grabbing this above Herald all day long.  It is also more fun imo.

It might account for it; but it definitely stops it from being strictly better. +1 card is much stronger than + by itself. The extra sift is probably countered by the fact that your opponent chooses the card, meaning you lose your best action for the shuffle unless you only reveal exactly 1 action. So it comes down to the higher chance of it working vs extra strength of +1 card vs +. Also that when they both miss; Herald is better.

As a whole I think this is similar in strength to Herald, but not better than it.

You make some good points.  I still think for $4 it is underpriced.  And the only kingdoms in which I am favoring it would be those without villages, or ones where I have a very diverse and dense action deck.  Like a Cornucopia kingdom.

Sorry for not giving more of an explanation behind price. I kind of dropped this post and then had to go to an appointment.

Here's the thought process:
1) Originally this did not have +$1. The problem is, it's just too weak. At best, it hits an action and is essentially +1 card +2 actions, aka vanilla village. And you don't have control over what you play. And if you don't hit an action this is a ruined village. The only time I'd rather have this than village is if I had village in hand with no other actions, since scribe would more likely hit an action to keep the chain going. At the end of the day it's be pretty weak and have to be priced at most $2 (probably less).

2)So I tacked on the +$1. Now what to price it? If it does hit an action it's +1 card +2 actions +$1. So it's a bazaar with less choice. Similar comparisons exist between vanilla village to the original (#1) as do bazaar to this one. So it would seem this should be less than bazaar (not strictly worse than bazaar, but probably not as good). $4 felt right for what it does. I thought about herald but I think they both have pros and cons:

Herald is either a simple cantrip, or +2 cards +2 actions, which is worth at least $6 (if you hit an action); scribe is either a copper (kind of) or a bazaar ($5). Herald has better payoffs than scribe but it's harder to hit because you only get one card. In addition, scribe gives your opponents the choice, which means you're more likely to play weaker cards with it. They can also make you discard great cards making you go through the reshuffle to get them (Reveal Grand Market, Champion, and pearl diver. Guess what you're playing and what's going into the discard.)

So in short the pros of herald are: Greater payoffs when you hit an action, immune to interference from your opponent, more likely to play better actions with it.
the cons are: less likely to hit an action, no cycling.

That was the logic, and I think it holds up.

P.S. Upon further reading the comments, I think Gendoikari pretty much said everything I write here in less words.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:03:19 pm by naitchman »

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: January 23, 2020, 03:24:50 pm »

Challenge: Automaton
Design a card (or card-shaped object) that may cause playing а card that the player cannot predict or prevent.
Would you count cards that use Boons or Hexes? That's currently what fills the chaotic, chaotic niche of things the player may not want to play.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: January 23, 2020, 03:53:34 pm »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: January 23, 2020, 03:58:53 pm »

You should be a little more clear when you say return. Return to the player's top deck or the supply? Or are you talking about the action played from the supply? (it shouldn't need returning since it shouldn't move). I'm guessing you mean to the top of the players deck, otherwise this card would be way too harsh.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: January 23, 2020, 04:24:45 pm »
+2

A problem I've noticed with almost all of the entries so far is that they play a card from your deck and then discard the other revealed cards. You can look at official cards like Ghost and Golem to see that it should be "discard the other revealed cards, then play that Action." The reason is because, for example, let's say Privateer hits an opponent's Fortune Teller. All of the cards that were revealed by Privateer are still in revealed "limbo," so it's unclear what happens. Are those cards ignored by Fortune Teller's Attack? And if I hit Bob's Council Room and it makes Bob reshuffle, he doesn't get to shuffle the revealed cards in.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: January 23, 2020, 05:14:42 pm »

Challenge: Automaton
Design a card (or card-shaped object) that may cause playing а card that the player cannot predict or prevent.
Would you count cards that use Boons or Hexes? That's currently what fills the chaotic, chaotic niche of things the player may not want to play.
I was considering this question while formulating the challenge, but no. Boons, Hexes, Events, Projects etc. don't count.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: January 23, 2020, 06:23:16 pm »
+2

Epic Tale
Action - $5
+$2
Repeat the following until you have no $ remaining: Pay $1, reveal the top card of your deck. If it's an Action play it, otherwise put it in your hand.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:12:54 am by NoMoreFun »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: January 23, 2020, 07:08:36 pm »
+1

Servant
$3
Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. Choose one: If it's an Action card, play it; or discard it and reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card, discard the other cards, then play it.

Basically, it's a Herald that lets you choose whether you want to play the top card if it's an Action or the next Action from your deck. You have a bit of choice but it can still go badly. I hope this fits the challenge.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:09:52 pm by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: January 23, 2020, 07:52:59 pm »
+1

A problem I've noticed with almost all of the entries so far is that they play a card from your deck and then discard the other revealed cards. You can look at official cards like Ghost and Golem to see that it should be "discard the other revealed cards, then play that Action." The reason is because, for example, let's say Privateer hits an opponent's Fortune Teller. All of the cards that were revealed by Privateer are still in revealed "limbo," so it's unclear what happens. Are those cards ignored by Fortune Teller's Attack? And if I hit Bob's Council Room and it makes Bob reshuffle, he doesn't get to shuffle the revealed cards in.

Good Point. I'll Edit my card. I guess I was copying my text mostly from advisor.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 07:54:11 pm by naitchman »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: January 23, 2020, 09:44:18 pm »
+1

EDIT: this is also withdrawn. See downthread

I looked back through grep's old entries for the contest and poltergeist + nine spectre cards might be a bit much so i'm going to withdraw that and instead enter

Town Crier • $4 • Action - Command
+1 Action
Roll a d10. Play the card whose number you rolled, leaving it there.
-
Setup: Randomly assign each Action or Treasure kingdom pile other than Town Crier a number from 1 to 10. Put any remaining numbers with the Silver pile.

Who knows what news needs to travel through the town immediately - a Caravan of Merchants? is an Overlord coming to town? a Royal Carriage passing through? The Town Crier knows.
The overflow numbers play a silver, if there's alt-VP or something.

Requires some numbered chits (pull 'em out of your copy of Catan, using the "11" as a "1" and the robber as a "7"? use uno cards or a regular deck of playing cards?) and a d10 but we're all nerds here, right? we've got those lying around?
(alternatively, you can just tell google to roll 1d10)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:44:43 pm by spineflu »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: January 23, 2020, 11:29:34 pm »

Edited and changed the name.  Great point!

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: January 23, 2020, 11:31:32 pm »
+1

I looked back through grep's old entries for the contest and poltergeist + nine spectre cards might be a bit much so i'm going to withdraw that and instead enter

Town Crier • $4 • Action - Command
+1 Action
Roll a d10. Play the card whose number you rolled, leaving it there.
-
Setup: Randomly assign each Action or Treasure kingdom pile other than Town Crier a number from 1 to 10. Put any remaining numbers with the Silver pile.

Who knows what news needs to travel through the town immediately - a Caravan of Merchants? is an Overlord coming to town? a Royal Carriage passing through? The Town Crier knows.
The overflow numbers play a silver, if there's alt-VP or something.

Requires some numbered chits (pull 'em out of your copy of Catan, using the "11" as a "1" and the robber as a "7"? use uno cards or a regular deck of playing cards?) and a d10 but we're all nerds here, right? we've got those lying around?
(alternatively, you can just tell google to roll 1d10)

What great card and idea!

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4590 on: January 24, 2020, 04:34:54 am »
+3

Sigil - Treasure Duration, $5 cost.
$2
At the start of your next turn: reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action. Discard the rest, then play the Action.

I nearly made this an Action with +2 Cards on first turn, but I wasn't sure about the single-card BM strategy it would enable.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: January 24, 2020, 05:53:28 am »

Clown
cost $4 - Action - Attack
Choose one: +$2; or each other player reveals their deck until they reveals an Action card. Then, you choose one of the revealed Action cards to play, leaving it there. Each other player discards the revealed cards afterwards.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: January 24, 2020, 07:53:00 am »

I like this a lot and don't want to underestimate the danger of trashing a Treasure or Province, but I am fairly certain that this is too good for $4.

Servant
$3
Action
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. Choose one: If it's an Action card, play it; or discard it and reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action card, discard the other cards, then play it.

Basically, it's a Herald that lets you choose whether you want to play the top card if it's an Action or the next Action from your deck. You have a bit of choice but it can still go badly. I hope this fits the challenge.
This is a $4. Sure, the net effect is the same as that of Village with the downside that once you have played all Actions in your deck this becomes a Ruined Village. But until then it is better than Village and probably only slightly weaker than Wandering Ministrel.

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: January 24, 2020, 12:58:01 pm »

Sigil - Treasure Duration, $5 cost.
$2
At the start of your next turn: reveal cards from your deck until you reveal an Action. Discard the rest, then play the Action.

I nearly made this an Action with +2 Cards on first turn, but I wasn't sure about the single-card BM strategy it would enable.

Never seen a treasure duration card.  Nice concept.

Here is some art for the card that might work.

https://steemitimages.com/p/BRWJ2YmdUFozvi1t4HpN4qormysFfuK7LQkBeM4NCQNi8atn?format=match&mode=fit&width=640

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: January 24, 2020, 03:53:30 pm »
+1

Here's my idea. Before I had without the +buy option, but then it seemed like a slightly better Lab which wasn't quite a $6.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: January 25, 2020, 01:18:40 am »
+1

Imagine  a deck of gizmos.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:19:46 am by somekindoftony »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: January 25, 2020, 06:46:36 pm »
+3

sorry to keep doing the "wait no this one" game but i'm withdrawing Town Crier and changing my entry to Heir. Keeping it even simpler than a "pure random" card.

Sort of a one-shot Prince, when bought.

Heir • $5+ • Action
You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each $1 you overpay, discard the top card of your deck and if its an Action, set it aside and play it at the start of your next turn.

FAQ: if you reveal more than one Action, you may play them in any order at the start of your next turn (this is how that works anyways).

revised to a slightly shorted version of the same text; changes interaction with Patron (no more revealing) but thats about it
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:57:57 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #59: Automaton
« Reply #4597 on: January 26, 2020, 12:46:45 am »
+4

Hopefully this qualifies. A cheaper Band of Misfits with no cost restriction, but lets the player to your left choose the worse of two cards for it to mimic.

Version History:
v1.0: Original version.
v1.1: Changed cost to .
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 12:32:04 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: January 26, 2020, 04:13:10 am »
+1

sorry to keep doing the "wait no this one" game but i'm withdrawing Town Crier and changing my entry to Heir. Keeping it even simpler than a "pure random" card.

Sort of a one-shot Prince, when bought.

Heir • $5+ • Action
You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
-
When you buy this, you may overpay. For each $1 you overpay, reveal the top card of your deck. Set all actions revealed this way aside; at the start of your next turn, play them. Discard the rest of the revealed cards.
This reminds me of Summon or Piazza, i.e. you get +1 Card and +1 Action, and I like it. $6 seems like a steep price for it to trigger once but you can imagine middle- and endgame situations in which you would pay $6 or $7 to improve your next turn.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: January 26, 2020, 09:06:29 am »
+4

Retainers
Types: Action
Cost: <4>
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal an Action. Discard the other cards and then play the Action. If it's the first time you've played a copy of that card this turn, +1 Card and +1 Action.
Action-search card.  It costs debt so as to be expensive enough to not load up on them arbitrarily and "cheap" enough to not compete with most of the stuff you want to play with it.  It encourages deck variety because it turns into a Lost City if it finds a unique card. It's like Herald but in reverse, where it always finds a card and only sometimes gives "+1 Card and +1 Action."  Retainers can never proc each other because Retainers→Retainers will never be the first Retainers you've played.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.