Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1548179 times)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4550 on: January 22, 2020, 02:05:19 pm »

is judging today?

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: January 22, 2020, 06:19:47 pm »
+2

Okay, here we go! Sorry for the delay, I was busy last night.

We're all more or less in agreement about what constitutes a good card, but everyone has their preferences. With that in mind, here is the sort of thing I particularly favour:
  • Less text is a bonus. Cards should be as simple as possible, and no simpler.
  • Whether it's actually playable in practice, in the paper and digital versions. No cards that take a long time to resolve, have effects that could be forgotten, require players to remember things instead of tracking them, only make sense in English, or would require a weird UI.
  • I don't look too closely at balance, in terms of cost. It's enough that a card could be made balanced. After all, if Chapel is allowed to cost $2, none of you have to worry about undercosting your cards.
  • Name and flavour count. It's the little touches that make it feel like a real Dominion card.
.. oh, and it should be fun to play too.

UserCardComments
spinefluVistaIt’s been great seeing this refined over the course of the week. The concept is great. The final version is carefully balanced. I'm flattered that it has two duplication effects – double your doubles, you're really going for the contest theme this week. Nice job on the art, too. The wording is a little complex; it has a different effect for every Victory card in the base game, and even one that isn’t. I’m not sure about referencing Potions on a non-Alchemy card.
majiponiCoffer ClickerAfter the third or fourth time you play this, you may never need to worry about money again. Who needs terminal Silvers when you have a terminal Diamond for $4? The no-quadrupling caveat might not be necessary. If somebody wants to buy Villages and extra copies of this so they can try to outrace their opponent, it’s worth a try. This card is crazy, don’t try to make it sane! Note that the box only comes with 40 coin tokens, so you'll eventually need a different way to track your vast wealth.
Something_SmartKnight ErrantA terminal Gold with a chaos-inducing… upside? Interesting. I don't know how often it'll matter who makes the choice - and in any case, the top of players' decks isn't very controllable. I love the $3-$6 as a callback to the Knights pile from Dark Ages. It’s unfortunate that it looks so much like one, and yet for the purposes of cards that care about Knights, it’s not a Knight. Nor an Attack, for that matter.
mad4mathunnamedPotent stuff! Any cantrip becomes a Lost City and any terminal Silver becomes a +4$… even before their actual effects. With all that, it’s maybe a bit too much. It’s already an $8 Project, so you can’t simply balance it by increasing the cost. And it needs a name.
GubumpMausoleumProcession with no downsides. Simple idea, well executed. With the name and trash-for-benefit effect, it could be an actual Dark Ages card. Not strictly better than Upgrade, but close enough that I’d never take Upgrade if this is around.
scolapastaSiege TowerThrone Room for Attacks! This was a tall order, but you pulled it off. So many Attacks don’t combo with themselves. Splitting the effect over two turns is an inspired fix. The extra Setup clause is inelegant, even Moat doesn't have that – if Siege Tower shows up in Kingdoms with no other Attacks, it should be able to live with the consequences.
AquilaSummer House / Taverna / CavernNice! Thanks for trying something new with this one. Another set of Shelters was outside the rules I set but it’s definitely allowed – I should have encouraged it more. Summer House is actually useful, what kind of Shelter is this? Taverna might be hard to line up, but only being able to get a card you already have two of is a good drawback (I’d probably always use it on Gold). Cavern is tempting – I can’t see how it would be played if you need 4 otherwise-dead cards in your hand, but it’d be interesting to find out.
[TP] InfernoToadsCool plague of frogs. I like the parallel with Rats here – you get one and they infest your deck, and fittingly it benefits from trash-for-benefit in the same way as Rats. The way it gets a lot worse when its pile runs out is interesting, and adds some nontrivial traps to a card that's otherwise a Smithy variant.
pubbyZimbabwe MoneyPoints for originality: You made the only card in this contest whose doubling is unambiguously bad for its player! It’s good in that it looks like a bad joke but it secretly has uses for Projects, for Debt, for anytime you really need the +Buys. Oh, and for doing weird stuff that tracks the cost of cards. Not exactly medieval-themed, though.
FragasnapProvisionerAgain, it looks like a bad joke but there’s definitely combos that make it work, e.g. don’t have any bad cards in your deck. The extra Silver prevents it from being a dead card. It’s a shame that it’s so dependent on shuffle luck – it’s most useful when you have about 5 cards in discard, and there’s no way to control whether it shows up then.
D782802859HarlequinWelcome to the forums! This is nice – you want to spend it on a good card, but you don’t want your good cards to be trashed. It produces some interesting choices. Good work. The timing suggests it should only work on Actions – if nothing else, it’s not clear what “playing” a Curse or Victory card would do.
kru5hTwinsIt’s rare to actually want 4 Actions (or 6, or 8 ) so it makes sense that it’s an optional extra. I don’t see why it returns to the supply instead of trashing – some combo where you can keep gaining them once the Supply is empty? Sometimes you just want a $4 Village in your deck and the bonus doesn’t matter. Good card.
somekindoftonyFlatteryI’ll be honest, I’m just amused by the mental image of two players getting these and comboing off each others’ Flatteries. “You’re the best!” “No, you’re the best!”. Self-replicating gold is every miser’s dream and the +Buy is a powerful bonus; once there’s two of these in play the game won’t last much longer.
NoMoreFunDance HallIt’s really interesting to compare this with Coffer Clicker, above. There’s a limit to how many Actions you can use up in a game, and cards like Champion show that even unlimited Actions aren’t necessarily unbalanced. So this starts out as a basically-Necropolis, hits the sweet spot around the 4th time you play it, and shortly after becomes… a completely dead card. And again, past 40 it becomes hard to track.
Saul GoodmanAddictionWelcome to the forums! This card empties two piles by itself, making a very short clock before the game ends. Is Dominion too long a game for you? Getting to play and gain the best Action every turn is amazing, but it’s a steep penalty and you need to buy the card legitimately at least once. It’s a good question whether you always buy this after your opponent does – maybe the -10VP from curses is enough to stop them? A brokenly cheap card, but that doesn’t mean anything! It reshapes the game and it creates interesting decisions, that’s the important part.
grepFlooded FieldsSimple, but effective. Its two effects both make sense individually and feed each other. Making it a Victory card so that it can trigger itself is very elegant, and gives it a reason to be played in the midgame when players don't want Duchies. Doesn't work on Provinces, but doesn't necessarily force a Duchy game the way e.g. Duke does. A simple but deep card.
natichmanProfitIt’s an expensive dead card if there isn’t enough +$ in your hand, when discarding your Treasures means you may well be worse off for playing this. And it’s brokenly strong if there are reliable sources of money in the Action phase. With very little middle ground.
mandioca15PromenadeThis would have been a very good entry to the previous contest! Its value depends a lot on whether you have another source of Villagers – it’s too expensive for a Throne Room and too cheap for a King’s Court.
GazbagTown HallMakes a lot of sense. It’s a kind of intermediate between Barracks and Lost Arts. $6 to make a bunch of your cards into Villages is about right, you can prepare for this it by filling your deck with cantrips first. It looks like it’ll take skilful timing to have enough of an engine to buy this without immediately becoming the Village Idiot with too many +Actions.

Winner: Flooded Fields by grep
Runner-up: Mausoleum by Gubump

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4552 on: January 22, 2020, 06:59:16 pm »
+2

UserCardComments
spinefluVistaIt’s been great seeing this refined over the course of the week. The concept is great. The final version is carefully balanced. I'm flattered that it has two duplication effects – double your doubles, you're really going for the contest theme this week. Nice job on the art, too. The wording is a little complex; it has a different effect for every Victory card in the base game, and even one that isn’t. I’m not sure about referencing Potions on a non-Alchemy card.

It would've been weird to me that it didn't work on Vineyards, since it works on all the other deck-census-altVP. Plus this way it'll work with whatever Victory cards are in Alchemy II: Electric Boogaloo. :P

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: January 22, 2020, 07:10:43 pm »
+4

You say that but you haven't accounted for the debt-costing Victory cards in Empires II: The Empire Strikes Back

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: January 23, 2020, 02:55:53 am »
+2

Wow, that's unexpected, thanks!
My personal favorite was Dance Hall by NoMoreFun.

Challenge: Automaton
Design a card (or card-shaped object) that may cause playing а card that the player cannot predict or prevent.

Qualifying examples: Golem, Venture, Piazza, Herald
Non-qualifying: Necromancer (you know the content of trash and can choose the card to play), Vassal (you may choose not to play the revealed card)

Please correct me if a similar challenge already has been played. I am relatively new in this thread.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: January 23, 2020, 04:32:11 am »

Glad my last entries humourous potential was recognised.

Thanks and congrats to grep.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: January 23, 2020, 09:58:01 am »
+2

UserCardComments

It would've been weird to me that it didn't work on Vineyards, since it works on all the other deck-census-altVP. Plus this way it'll work with whatever Victory cards are in Alchemy II: Electric Boogaloo. :P

In my opinion you should just drop the cost restriction completely; make it work on all Victory cards. The cost restriction seems like extra words on an already wordy card that in practical terms just means "but not Colonies". Yes it would become stronger in a Colonies game, but I don't see why that's a big problem. The +1 cards for opponents could be extended somehow to include Colonies and Provinces if it's an issue.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: January 23, 2020, 10:03:16 am »

Okay, here we go! Sorry for the delay, I was busy last night. . . .

Man, thanks so much for the detailed comments!  Congrats to Grep.  This is really fun.  I think I will stick around for more!

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4558 on: January 23, 2020, 10:08:35 am »

Ghost qualifies for this week's contest, right?

withdrawn:

Poltergeist • $4 • Action - Command
Reveal and discard cards from your deck until you reveal a Gold, Silver, or Copper. Play it, then play the Spectre card with the same cost, leaving it there.
-
Setup: next to the Gold, Silver, and Copper piles, place a random Spectre card with the same cost. These cards are not in the supply.

Copper Spectres:
(one card of each)

Book • $0* • Action - Spectre
+1 Card
(This is not in the Supply)

Teapot • $0* • Action - Spectre
+$1

Clock • $0* • Action - Spectre
Discard your deck. You may put a card from your discard pile on top of your deck.
Silver Spectres:
(one card of each)

Nest Egg • $3* • Action - Spectre
Choose one:
+1 Buy and +$1; or +1 Coffers

Rosary • $3* • Action - Spectre
Trash up to two cards from your hand

Crawlspace • $3* • Action - Spectre
When drawing a new hand during Clean up, +1 Card
Gold Spectres:
(one card of each)

Shade • $6* • Action - Spectre
Play a non-Command Action or Treasure from the Supply costing up to $5, leaving it there.

Watch • $6* • Action - Spectre
You may play a Treasure from your hand, then draw until you have five cards in hand.

Repent • $6* • Action - Spectre
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to $3 more than it that doesn't share a type with it.

UserCardComments

In my opinion you should just drop the cost restriction completely; make it work on all Victory cards. The cost restriction seems like extra words on an already wordy card that in practical terms just means "but not Colonies". Yes it would become stronger in a Colonies game, but I don't see why that's a big problem. The +1 cards for opponents could be extended somehow to include Colonies and Provinces if it's an issue.

The problem is it's too swingy if it just works on Colonies - the 4VP gap between Province and Colony, when doubled, it becomes too much. Like, you hit $16 with two buys, you decide to play it safe and rush the Province pile, try to end the game faster - your opponent has the same, but goes for a Colony and a Vista, then the next turn gets the Vista, hits the Colony with it - 20VP to your 12VP, and they're down two junk cards, and getting the Vista to hit Colony was luck if they had any other Victory cards. If it de-junked opponents (but boosted your VP score) maybe that'd be a fair trade-off.

I could probably make it explicitly just not work on Colonies  ("Reveal until you reveal a Victory card other than Colony") and it'd be less text/less "is this cheaper"/less "why is there a potion". Probably the way to do it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:37:12 pm by spineflu »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: January 23, 2020, 11:10:55 am »
+1

Here's my submission for now:

priced at $4 bc it's slightly worse than bazaar.

UPDATE: Changed order of discard and playing to take care of Gubump's problem.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 08:09:56 pm by naitchman »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4560 on: January 23, 2020, 11:29:18 am »
+2

Fun challenge. Here's what I've got: Palace Garden.  This started as Royal Garden in v1.1.  Edited to discard cards before playing the revealed Action.  Then in v1.2 it remodeled to anything.  Now in v1.3 it only remodels to Victory Cards, and I changed the format to mirror other victory-actions like Mill, Great Hall, etc.

This is an Action-Victory, Throne Room-Remodel hydrid with an undetermined target.   Input welcome!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:22:11 pm by Saul Goodman »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: January 23, 2020, 12:08:40 pm »
+1

I never noticed the difference between Vassal and Herald in terms of optional vs mandatory. Has Donald ever mentioned why this difference exists?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: January 23, 2020, 12:30:46 pm »

Choose one:
+1 Buy, +$1; or +1 Coffers

The + choice doesn't make sense; +1 Coffers is strictly better (ignoring weird Black Market or Storyteller edge cases).

Play a non-Command Action or Treasure from the Supply costing up to $5.

Needs "leaving it there" wording.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: January 23, 2020, 12:38:10 pm »
+1

Choose one:
+1 Buy, +$1; or +1 Coffers

The + choice doesn't make sense; +1 Coffers is strictly better (ignoring weird Black Market or Storyteller edge cases).

Play a non-Command Action or Treasure from the Supply costing up to $5.

Needs "leaving it there" wording.

the +$1 is part of the +Buy option - i'll change it to "and" wording so that's clearer. ty.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: January 23, 2020, 12:38:22 pm »

It is slightly worse than Bazaar, but it's also close to strictly better than Poacher. (Sorry, edited because I was discounting the extra +action).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:17:54 pm by GendoIkari »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: January 23, 2020, 01:11:36 pm »

Cool card!  Is this strictly better than Herald?  I think I would go here above Herald almost every time.  I think it might be underpriced.  Maybe you can do something like let the other players draw and discard a card to balance it out at $4?  Just my .02!  Cool card!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:13:21 pm by Saul Goodman »

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: January 23, 2020, 01:33:41 pm »
+1

Sword (Treasure, $5)

When you play this, choose one: +$2; or reveal the top card of your deck, and play it if it's an Action or a Treasure.

A Scepter variant that resembles Piazza, but lets you play Treasures too.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: January 23, 2020, 01:45:28 pm »

Cool card!  Is this strictly better than Herald?  I think I would go here above Herald almost every time.  I think it might be underpriced.  Maybe you can do something like let the other players draw and discard a card to balance it out at $4?  Just my .02!  Cool card!

When Herald succeeds, it is like +2 cards. When Scribe succeeds, it is like +1 card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: January 23, 2020, 01:49:17 pm »
+1

Sword (Treasure, $5)

When you play this, choose one: +$2; or reveal the top card of your deck, and play it if it's an Action or a Treasure.

The second option is basically like +1 card, +1 action. Since it's on a Treasure that doesn't cost an action to play, it seems like the best-case scenario for the second option is that it's like you played a Village. The worst-case scenario is that it might as well have been a Curse in your hand. Basically, that option is very weak.

If it let you play the found card twice instead of once, then it would be similar to Scepter.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:50:23 pm by GendoIkari »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: January 23, 2020, 01:56:28 pm »

When Herald succeeds, it is like +2 cards. When Scribe succeeds, it is like +1 card.
Yep. 

But doesn't +1$, plus extra sift, plus a much greater likelihood of hitting an action more than account for that?  In most like kingdoms, I am grabbing this above Herald all day long.  It is also more fun imo.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:57:46 pm by Saul Goodman »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: January 23, 2020, 02:00:02 pm »

Sword (Treasure, $5)

Would this return you to your action phase of you hit a plus action?  Or function more like Capitalism?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: January 23, 2020, 02:20:00 pm »

Yep. 

But doesn't +1$, plus extra sift, plus a much greater likelihood of hitting an action more than account for that?  In most like kingdoms, I am grabbing this above Herald all day long.  It is also more fun imo.

It might account for it; but it definitely stops it from being strictly better. +1 card is much stronger than + by itself. The extra sift is probably countered by the fact that your opponent chooses the card, meaning you lose your best action for the shuffle unless you only reveal exactly 1 action. So it comes down to the higher chance of it working vs extra strength of +1 card vs +. Also that when they both miss; Herald is better.

As a whole I think this is similar in strength to Herald, but not better than it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: January 23, 2020, 02:37:11 pm »
+1

Sword (Treasure, $5)

Would this return you to your action phase of you hit a plus action?  Or function more like Capitalism?

Keep in mind that Scepter and Innovation already allow you to play Action cards during your Buy phase; there's no reason based on the wording that this would return you to your Action phase.

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: January 23, 2020, 02:44:00 pm »

Yep. 

It might account for it; but it definitely stops it from being strictly better. +1 card is much stronger than + by itself. The extra sift is probably countered by the fact that your opponent chooses the card, meaning you lose your best action for the shuffle unless you only reveal exactly 1 action. So it comes down to the higher chance of it working vs extra strength of +1 card vs +. Also that when they both miss; Herald is better.

As a whole I think this is similar in strength to Herald, but not better than it.

You make some good points.  I still think for $4 it is underpriced.  And the only kingdoms in which I am favoring it would be those without villages, or ones where I have a very diverse and dense action deck.  Like a Cornucopia kingdom.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: January 23, 2020, 02:49:57 pm »
+3

Here is my submission this week. Machine is a Herald variant with a terminal +2 cards on top instead of cantrip, and mandatory trashing if it doesn't hit an Action.  Early game, its draw and trashing help you cycle and thin quickly, enabling the nice action density that want in the mid-game for the Herald effect.  When you hit an action, Machine essentially acts as a double lab, but be careful, this comes at the risk of drawing actions dead or eating valuable Treasures or VP cards.  Without good deck tracking or set-up, there often comes a point where it's no longer safe to play.

Machines are efficient, but dangerous if not handled properly.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 21 queries.