Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546138 times)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #58: Double Double
« Reply #4525 on: January 19, 2020, 06:00:14 pm »

A Procession variant whose upgrading portion is optional instead of mandatory.

Procession was changed to exclude Durations due to new rules around tracking.

Another option would be to adopt similar wording to Improve (ie you do the upgrading when you discard the card from play),  which wpuld allow it to be played with Durations. I also don't think the card would be too strong if you could turn Actions into non Actions, or if the trashing was "up to".

Thanks, I completely forgot about that! Fixed, and buffed by changing the cost restriction to "up to."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4526 on: January 19, 2020, 10:15:29 pm »
+2

$8 Project
When you buy this, set aside an action card from your hand. Whenever you play a copy of that card from your hand, play it again.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: January 20, 2020, 06:18:32 am »

Duration Throne Room is weak but with +1 Card it's a decent cantrip. Compare to Scheme; probably right for $4, trading flexibility and stackability (if it says "non Duration") for +1 Card and Action next turn (if it connects). It will miss reshuffles which I think keeps it below $5.

Scheme is a great comparison! In fact, one of my other alternatives was to find a way to have it "wait" until an attack came.

SO that makes me feel better about v2a. It's like scheme for attacks that, as you point out, gets you +1 Card and Action next turn when it hits; and if misses, attacks both turns instead.

And 2b is at worst a cantrip that attacks if it misses.

(thematically you start the siege, slowing down their supplies, and if you succeed (have another attack card), hit them extra hard for two turns)

This card clearly will slow games down; that works for me as I think cards that alter the gameplay can be interesting. i.e. in games with Siege Tower, it's going to be more of a slog (I mean, you are under siege), so you'll need to find ways to mitigate for that.

Still willing to hear other thoughts on 2a vs 2b vs any tweaks.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: January 20, 2020, 10:40:08 am »
+1

48 hour warning!

There's a lot of good entries this week - it'll be great to read through them again but hard to pick one winner.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: January 20, 2020, 11:01:15 am »
+1

Knight Errant
$5 - Action
+$3. Each player (including you) reveals and discards the top 2 cards of their deck and gains a copy of a card they revealed costing from $3 to $6 that you choose.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4530 on: January 20, 2020, 04:25:20 pm »

Knight Errant
$5 - Action
+$3. Each player (including you) reveals and discards the top 2 cards of their deck and gains a copy of a card they revealed costing from $3 to $6 that you choose.

This is gonna decimate piles in 4+ player games

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: January 20, 2020, 05:25:27 pm »

Knight Errant
$5 - Action

Not that much more than Jester, I don't think. That said, I think it's almost certainly too weak. Just + is too weak for (Legionary) and I think this is going to be weaker than that most of the time.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 05:27:42 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: January 20, 2020, 06:21:34 pm »

Knight Errant
$5 - Action

Not that much more than Jester, I don't think. That said, I think it's almost certainly too weak. Just + is too weak for (Legionary) and I think this is going to be weaker than that most of the time.

jester, only one person is getting a card at a time. this is tossing out 4+ copies each time its played.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: January 20, 2020, 06:43:11 pm »

Knight Errant
$5 - Action

jester, only one person is getting a card at a time. this is tossing out 4+ copies each time its played.

Jester gives out one card per player who revealed a non-Victory card. Knight Errant has just as high a cap as Jester.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: January 20, 2020, 08:16:46 pm »

Knight Errant
$5 - Action

Jester gives out one card per player who revealed a non-Victory card. Knight Errant has just as high a cap as Jester.

Victory cards too.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: January 20, 2020, 09:19:30 pm »

Think the vanilla bonus should be stronger? +1 Buy +$3, maybe, but I think that compares too favorably to Sacred Grove. (Since Sacred Grove gives +1 Buy +$3 and a bonus that's more likely to help others than to help you, whereas this would give the same but with a bonus more likely to help you.)

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: January 20, 2020, 09:22:53 pm »

Promenade (Action, $6).

You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
You may return one of your Villagers. If you did, play it a third time.
---
When you gain this, +1 Villager.

A Throne Room variant that lets you upgrade to King's Court if you have a Villager to hand.
That said, my main issue with Promenade isn't its power level, but that it's too Kingdom dependent. If the Kingdom has no other sources of Villagers, it's too weak IMO, but if the Kingdom has a way of getting large amounts of Villagers, such as Recruiter or Academy, then Promenade becomes practically just a cheap King's Court. It's always going to be broken in one direction or the other, IMO.
Couldn't say it better.

seeked (sook?)
"Sought."
What about if it, rather than going from hand for its target card, was like Rebuild, where it [sought] out the next Victory card in your deck and set it aside? It'd still be terminal. Maybe get rid of the penalty with that since it's going to be more randomized. Feel like that'd be less centralizing than Rebuild. Could be maybe a little swingy in slogs (player A sets aside an Overgrown Estate, player B sets aside a Colony - bad news bears for A) but it wouldn't slow the game down nearly as hard as trying to line up a collision which causes a price increase.

Revising it to
Vista • $5 • Action - Duration - Victory
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card. Set the revealed Victory card aside, face up, under this. If this sets aside a Province or Colony, all other players get +1 Card.
(This stays in play).
-
This is worth % equal to its set-aside card(s).
The hunting Island is definitely more interesting conceptually, but, as you cover, it would render many games far too luck-based, not even in the worst-case. Consider Estate versus Province for a 5VP swing that makes the player lose a $5-cost one-shot while, in a way, reducing the overall VP that is available in the game.  That's pretty miserable compared to Distant Lands.  I think it needs to be worked into something where hitting an Estate is actually a good thing.

Cavern - Treasure Shelter, $1
When you play this, discard 2 Shelters and a Victory card, revealing them. If you d, +1 Buy and double your $ if you haven't yet this turn.
Something more rewarding to build around. Fortune spread across 4 cards I'm hoping is safe on a Shelter? The Victory need is there to stop a $5/$2 opening becoming $5/$4. I could make it need an Action in play if 4 cards is too many.

Thanks for your feedback.
Assuming we are doubling $10 (not too unreasonable for a deck junked up with 3 Shelters and a Province), that turns the 4 cards into $2.5 each, so it's probably still on the weak side.  The +Buy will likely be the deciding factor on whether or not Cavern is worth pursuing, which is fine if that is your intent.

$8 Project
When you buy this, set aside an action card from your hand. Whenever you play a copy of that card from your hand, play it again.
I like the concept.  I also but don't imagine that there are many Kingdoms for which it is not irreparably broken.  $14 would possibly still be too low.

Knight Errant
$5 - Action

Gaining an Action typically decimates its pile.
The cap is higher as the player of Knight Errant is affected too: It is not N-1 cards gained, it is straight N cards.  Really though, this will be far more like an Attack that not.  Gaining a Smithy is good.  Gaining 4 Smithies is not so good. And I can think of plenty worse targets that will be commonly swung into since the player of Knight Errant chooses.  I think it will be pretty strong.  I will confirm though that this will speed up 4-player games to an unhealthy degree whenever relevant, which would make me loathe to use the card.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: January 21, 2020, 09:54:03 am »

Knight Errant
$5 - Action

This is hard to judge but my hunch is this is slightly weakish for a $5 but only slightly. The best case is nearly always that the opponents gain a Silver which can be borderline junking or, you choosing a card whose pile is empty! Then the card is situationally better than Jester.

I also think that a lot of terminal Golds are pretty good so a terminal Gold with only a mild bonus is not such a horrible design choice.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: January 21, 2020, 08:17:17 pm »

did a last minute revision to put a price cap and a bonus for the most-common bad effect (when it sets aside an Estate). Also specified what to do with the rest of the revealed cards since I guess I forgot that when I revised into a hunting island.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: January 21, 2020, 09:45:02 pm »
+1

Vista • $5 • Action - Victory - Duration
Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card costing up to $8^. Set it aside, face up, under this (discard the rest of the revealed cards). If this sets aside an...
...Estate, gain a Vista
...Province, all other players get +1 Card
(This stays in play)
-
Worth % equal to the set-aside card(s).
Make sure your Province has a view!
Just took another look at this and wondered Why is this a duration? Why does it stay in play?

Otherwise, I like this version.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:46:28 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: January 21, 2020, 09:47:24 pm »
+2

Dance Hall
Action - $2
+1 Villager per Villager you have
-
When you gain this, +1 Villager

Oh I forgot to post.

Villager Clicker
cost $2 -  Action
Double your Villager tokens.
---
When you gain this, +1 Villagers.

I think I'm seeing double!  8)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: January 21, 2020, 10:15:29 pm »

Dance Hall
Action - $2
+1 Villager per Villager you have
-
When you gain this, +1 Villager

Oh I forgot to post.

Villager Clicker
cost $2 -  Action
Double your Villager tokens.
---
When you gain this, +1 Villagers.

I think I'm seeing double!  8)

Oh, I didn't notice. Ok, another.

Coffer Clicker
cost $4 - Action
If this is the first Coffer Clicker you played in this turn, double your Coffers.
---
When you gain this, +1 Coffers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:25:27 pm by majiponi »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: January 21, 2020, 11:13:36 pm »

Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card costing up to $8^. Set it aside, face up, under this (discard the rest of the revealed cards). If this sets aside an...
...Estate, gain a Vista
(This stays in play)
-
Just took another look at this and wondered Why is this a duration? Why does it stay in play?

It's like a Victory Card trapper.  It stays in play to keep whatever it catches out of your deck.  If it catches a cheap one, it gives you another Vista and a VP tokens.  If it catches an expensive one, it gives you a huge payday.

I think it is a brilliant concept.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: January 21, 2020, 11:28:15 pm »

...Estate, gain a Vista
(This stays in play)
-

It's like a Victory Card trapper.  It stays in play to keep whatever it catches out of your deck.  If it catches a cheap one, it gives you another Vista and a VP tokens.  If it catches an expensive one, it gives you a huge payday.

I get what the card does. I just don't know why it stays in play instead of setting itself aside with the card under it.

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: January 22, 2020, 03:45:20 am »
+1

...Estate, gain a Vista
(This stays in play)
-

I get what the card does. I just don't know why it stays in play instead of setting itself aside with the card under it.

I see your point!  It is really just a forced Island that always hits a mark.  Maybe that's why it stays in play?  Does it keep searching for a mark if you have no other VC cards in your deck?

Another question:. what happens when it catches itself?  Seems like it would really, really suck.  Never have two in your deck at one time!

If the contest were Design A Card That Hates Itself, this would be a ringer!

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: January 22, 2020, 08:17:02 am »
+1

...Estate, gain a Vista
(This stays in play)
-

out-of-play zones (tavern mat, "set aside", the trash) generally aren't ordered or paired (well, except prince i guess?). in-play ones generally are paired at least (archive, gear, crypt - "this card is the target of this other card"). Additionally, the card originally continuously did something after it was played and now it doesnt - skeumorphism, i guess.
that said, i think the orange/green color scheme is very attractive compared to the light grey/green.

i guess its mostly so you can do dumb tricks with Bonfire or enable that vp grab from emporium.

no good reasons. I'll revise it.

Vista • $5 • Action - Victory
Set this aside. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card costing up to $8^. Set it aside with this, face up (discard the rest of the revealed cards). If this sets aside an...
...Estate, gain a Vista
-
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:11:00 am by spineflu »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: January 22, 2020, 11:50:13 am »

...Estate, gain a Vista
(This stays in play)
-

out-of-play zones (tavern mat, "set aside", the trash) generally aren't ordered or paired (well, except prince i guess?). in-play ones generally are paired at least (archive, gear, crypt - "this card is the target of this other card"). Additionally, the card originally continuously did something after it was played and now it doesnt - skeumorphism, i guess.
that said, i think the orange/green color scheme is very attractive compared to the light grey/green.

i guess its mostly so you can do dumb tricks with Bonfire or enable that vp grab from emporium.

no good reasons. I'll revise it.

Vista • $5 • Action - Victory
Set this aside. Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal a Victory card costing up to $8^. Set it aside with this, face up (discard the rest of the revealed cards). If this sets aside an...
...Estate, gain a Vista
-

Do you care if this hits another Vista?  Or other Action Victories or Treasure-Victories, etc?

I think it might be better and more usable in more kingdoms if you wrote it in such a way to only catch pure VCs.  Just my take!

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: January 22, 2020, 11:55:56 am »

Do you care if this hits another Vista?  Or other Action Victories or Treasure-Victories, etc?

I think it might be better and more usable in more kingdoms if you wrote it in such a way to only catch pure VCs.  Just my take!

nah successful implementation is left as an exercise to the reader. it has kingdoms it is weak in and thats fine.

its kinda the same deal as rebuild in that respect, in that it sucks when rebuild hits your harem or nobles but also thats definitely on you - however this is also circumstantially better because you keep your pasture or Humble Castle or whatever, so you still get the VP at the end
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:06:27 pm by spineflu »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: January 22, 2020, 12:23:55 pm »

nah successful implementation is left as an exercise to the reader. it has kingdoms it is weak in and thats fine.

its kinda the same deal as rebuild in that respect, in that it sucks when rebuild hits your harem or nobles but also thats definitely on you - however this is also circumstantially better because you keep your pasture or Humble Castle or whatever, so you still get the VP at the end

Great points!  Makes sense.  I like the card and no doubt it would get a lot of play in most kingdoms.  Even in "bad" kingdoms I could see myself taking a flyer if I was behind in the late game.  Of if I could gain it mid-turn and hit a province I knew was in my discard.

This would synergize really well with Tournament.

It's a game-changer.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:25:20 pm by Saul Goodman »

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: January 22, 2020, 12:25:57 pm »
+1

Fwiw, I did like the orange-green color scheme, too.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.