Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546626 times)

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4450 on: January 14, 2020, 03:24:24 pm »

A second entry for Double Double.  This is the one I want to go with.

"So it's turn five. You bottom decked your purchases on turns 1 and 2 and here they are in your hand: a silver, and something good, and who knows? Maybe another something with a plus buy (from turn 3 or 4)? 

What to do, what to do, what to do.   Hmmmm.

Here's your 'fix.' Kind of.  But WTF, you are screwed anyway."

(Given its name, is it not fitting that you will find this one in the Projects?)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:34:29 pm by Saul Goodman »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4451 on: January 14, 2020, 03:26:34 pm »

A second entry for Double Double.  Sorry so huge.

Sorry so huge.

1: just use the width=# in the img tag, where # is the number of pixels you wanna use (quote this post if you wanna see how i did it)
2: one entry per contest; you can change what your entry is, but you gotta pick one.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: January 14, 2020, 03:38:37 pm »
+2

Sorry so huge.

1: just use the width=# in the img tag, where # is the number of pixels you wanna use (quote this post if you wanna see how i did it)
2: one entry per contest; you can change what your entry is, but you gotta pick one.

Maybe we should be allowed two entries for a contest that is about doubling! :P
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: January 14, 2020, 03:40:59 pm »
+1

Can I do that from my phone or the app?  I can't seem to find that menu.  It lets me edit the post . . . but when I click on it, there is no option to reduce the size.
I don't know about the app.

On the website: In the editor, it shows the size of the image. This is a field you can edit, just click on it. Then click Apply, then Save.

... or, like spineflu says, write this code in your post:
[img width = 300]http://i.imgur.com/4JOj7WG.png[/img]

Maybe we should be allowed two entries for a contest that is about doubling! :P
Nice try, but nope. I'll only judge the last card each person posts.

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: January 14, 2020, 05:17:10 pm »

Doppelganger • $4@3 • Action - Attack
Play an Attack from your hand twice. If it cost:
$5 or more: Each player with four or more cards in hand discards a card
$3 or less: Each player gains a copper to the top of their deck.
Otherwise: +$1, Each other player takes their -$1 Token

This might be under/overpowered, depending on the kingdom. I've got a couple other ideas I'm working on also but I like the weird niche this is working on.

Also would the otherwise clause here still happen if you failed to play an action? I tried to word it so it would.

That is how it reads to me.  If it didn't have that clause, I don't think it would be an Attack card, per se.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4455 on: January 14, 2020, 05:38:32 pm »

Here's my entry. (Mix of Tactician and Fortune)

It doesn't combine and with fortune to quadruple. It's way cheaper than fortune, but doubles before you play treasures, and discards the rest of your hand (meaning no more treasures).

I like this. My only concern is that it could show up in a Kingdom with no actions that give .
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: January 14, 2020, 05:39:10 pm »

Sorry so huge.

Got it fixed.  Going with entry #2 - Addiction Project.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: January 14, 2020, 05:40:50 pm »
+1

Promenade (Action, $6).

You may play an Action card from your hand twice.
You may return one of your Villagers. If you did, play it a third time.
---
When you gain this, +1 Villager.

A Throne Room variant that lets you upgrade to King's Court if you have a Villager to hand.

This is especially powerful with cards that provide +Villagers, e.g. Patron or Acting Troupe, since those can be used with for the 3rd play.

For Acting Troupe it's basically +10 Villagers!!

It's practically a dead card if it's the only source of Villagers, though.

How? It's a Throne Room that's a King's Court for the first time you play it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: January 14, 2020, 05:51:07 pm »

Promenade (Action, $6).

---

A Throne Room variant that lets you upgrade to King's Court if you have a Villager to hand.

This is especially powerful with cards that provide +Villagers, e.g. Patron or Acting Troupe, since those can be used with for the 3rd play.

Yes, but it only costs less than a King's Court. It's so much worse than King's Court for being a similar price.

I guess it's not "practically a dead card," but it's definitely weak for its price if its the only source of Villagers.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:52:50 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: January 14, 2020, 05:52:20 pm »
+1

Promenade (Action, $6).

---

Yes, but it only costs less than a King's Court. It's so much worse than King's Court for being a similar price.

There's a huge gulf between much worse than King's Court and practically dead.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: January 14, 2020, 07:05:23 pm »

Tired of people beating you to the City split or snatching all the Nobles? Take the Back road.

Feel free to help with the wording.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: January 14, 2020, 07:44:27 pm »

It doesn't combine and with fortune to quadruple. It's way cheaper than fortune, but doubles before you play treasures, and discards the rest of your hand (meaning no more treasures).

I like this. My only concern is that it could show up in a Kingdom with no actions that give .
Thanks.

There are a decent number that give virtual coin.
Most cards have kingdoms that favor them and those that don't and many are useless (or virtually useless) without support (rats without other trashing, conspirator without + actions, moat when there aren't attacks, etc.). If it's not worth buying, people just don't buy it.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: January 14, 2020, 07:59:55 pm »

Thanks.

Most cards have kingdoms that favor them and those that don't and many are useless (or virtually useless) without support (rats without other trashing, conspirator without + actions, moat when there aren't attacks, etc.). If it's not worth buying, people just don't buy it.

Problem is, you also need the virtual coin to either be non-terminal or have Villages in order to play Profit afterwards. And most virtual coin is +, which makes it very hard to make Profit make more than even a Woodcutter.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 08:00:56 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: January 14, 2020, 08:16:20 pm »

Promenade (Action, $6).

---

There's a huge gulf between much worse than King's Court and practically dead.

Yeah. This is just a more-expensive Throne Room that has a stronger effect than Throne Room. I dunno if it's weak at or not, but it seemed weird to use the term "dead" when that generally refers to something like Stables in a hand with no treasure; or when people make fan cards that do almost nothing unless there's an attack available, etc. Even if the card were just literally Throne Room but costing , I wouldn't think to use the term "dead".

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4464 on: January 14, 2020, 08:46:45 pm »

or when people make fan cards that do almost nothing unless there's an attack available, etc.

Feeling maybe a little seen here.

I'm revising my entry this week

Now it doesn't have to be a dead card unless you let it. (edit: this is withdrawn)

Doppelganger • $4@3 • Action - Attack
Play an Attack from your hand twice. If it cost:
$5 or more: Each player with four or more cards in hand discards a card
$3 or less: Each player gains a copper to the top of their deck.
Otherwise: +$1, Each other player takes their -$1 Token

This might be under/overpowered, depending on the kingdom. I've got a couple other ideas I'm working on also but I like the weird niche this is working on.

Also would the otherwise clause here still happen if you failed to play an action? I tried to word it so it would.

That is how it reads to me.  If it didn't have that clause, I don't think it would be an Attack card, per se.
moot point since this is edited out, but an attack doesn't have to "attack" to be an attack - check out Minion.

Tired of people beating you to the City split or snatching all the Nobles? Take the Back road.

Feel free to help with the wording.
A concern with this would be, you've got a six player game, you have a round of turns where everyone plays one or more Back Roads - how do you track it?
You may want to consider introducing a "back road" adventures style token of some kind and give each player ... idk, three of them? two? two seems flexible/pragmatic, one simplifies it a bunch - and then have these place/move Back Road tokens - that way no one can lock out more than N piles at once, and while a whole board Action standstill is possible, it's way less likely.

Also can my Back Road block your Back Road? you can fix that with the token-based design - Make it only placeable on a pile that doesn't have a Back Road token on it.

Something like
Place your Back Road token on an Action supply pile that does not have a Back Road token on it. (Players may not buy cards from a pile that has another player's Back Road token on it). Until the end of your next turn, whenever you buy a card from a Supply Pile that has your Back Road token on it, gain a copy of it. When you discard this, remove one of your Back Road tokens.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 12:14:07 pm by spineflu »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: January 14, 2020, 08:49:03 pm »

Thanks.

Problem is, you also need the virtual coin to either be non-terminal or have Villages in order to play Profit afterwards. And most virtual coin is +, which makes it very hard to make Profit make more than even a Woodcutter.

There are plenty of games where I've generated coin mostly off virtual coin (peddler variants help). I've played double tactician plenty of times and that requires complete virtual coin (yes the extra 5 cards helps, but it's not absolutely necessary).

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: January 14, 2020, 09:43:51 pm »

moot point since this is edited out, but an attack doesn't have to "attack" to be an attack - check out Minion.

It does have to option to attack, though.  Technically speaking, without that clause, the card doesn't attack.  It just doubles another attack.  Minion has the explicit option to attack every time it is played.

If a card can't attack on its own, can it be an attack?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4467 on: January 14, 2020, 10:25:10 pm »
+1

or when people make fan cards that do almost nothing unless there's an attack available, etc.

Feeling maybe a little seen here.

I'm revising my entry this week

Heh, I mean +, each other player takes their - token is weak to be sure, but not dead/nothing.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: January 15, 2020, 12:42:58 am »
+1

@spineflu I did want people to back road each other with ensuing hilarity but I didn't think through the tracking issues especially for large games. I may use that token idea or drop it for something new.
I also wonder if it wouldn't be significantly unfun to play against if there is a kingdom with only one village type card that a single player hoards.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: January 15, 2020, 07:44:38 am »
+5

Dance Hall
Action - $2
+1 Villager per Villager you have
-
When you gain this, +1 Villager

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4470 on: January 15, 2020, 03:14:58 pm »
+4

Summer House - Action Shelter, $1
You may play a non-Duration, non-Shelter Action card from your hand twice. If you do, trash this.
Wagon - Action Shelter, $1
+1 Action
This turn, when you gain an Action card and have 2 or more Shelters in play, you may trash this to gain a copy of the gained card.
replaced by Taverna
Taverna - Night Shelter, $1
Choose a card you have in play that you've gained a copy of this turn. If you do, trash this to gain another copy of it.
Asylum - Action Shelter, $1
Discard 2 Shelters. If you do, +1 Card per card in your hand.
replaced by Cavern
Cavern - Treasure Shelter, $1
When you play this, discard 2 Shelters and reveal a Victory card from your hand, revealing them. If you do both, +1 Buy and double your $ if you haven't yet this turn.

Tell me if a set of Shelters doesn't count as one entry. Or indeed if any of them are crazy.

Edit: reworked Summer House so it can't be trashed in the opening. Replaced Wagon with the cleaner Taverna, which also can't be trashed in the opening.
Edit 2: changed Asylum to Cavern, something a fair bit more rewarding if you choose to keep all 3. (Thanks Fragasnap for highlighting Asylum's flaws out clearly enough). A later edit to Cavern to make it more correct.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:50:42 am by Aquila »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: January 15, 2020, 06:30:04 pm »
+1

Would this count as doubling?

Saul Goodman

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: January 15, 2020, 10:33:30 pm »

Summer House - Action Shelter, $1
You may trash this to play a non-Duration Action card from your hand twice.
Wagon - Action Shelter, $1
+1 Action
This turn, when you gain an Action card and have 2 or more Shelters in play, you may trash this to gain a copy of the gained card.
Asylum - Action Shelter, $1
Discard 2 Shelters. If you do, +1 Card per card in your hand.

Tell me if a set of Shelters doesn't count as one entry. Or indeed if any of them are crazy.

These are cool.  No idea if they fit the contest.  But definitely cool.

Would help speed up games, too.

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: January 15, 2020, 11:14:22 pm »
+1

It does have to option to attack, though.  Technically speaking, without that clause, the card doesn't attack.  It just doubles another attack.  Minion has the explicit option to attack every time it is played.

If a card can't attack on its own, can it be an attack?

I think the attack type idea was to make other cards, such as moat, be able to interact with them.
Legionary also does not always "attack"
Who trashes the trashers?

kru5h

• Duke
  • Respect: +372
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: January 16, 2020, 01:24:20 am »
+5

My doubling entry.

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.