Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546658 times)

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4375 on: January 05, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »

I agree with most of what you said. Here's my 2cents

Pioneer by Fragasnap
This could work as a $6 cost, as it is basically a Peddler+ when drawn with another Action card. Being able to move your +1 Card token mid turn is a scary feat, but it really needs to connect probably in order to be that impactful. And using your +1 Card token on a card that appears once isn't super impressive (but not bad either)
There's no way this is strong enough for $6. A peddler+ is usually $5 cost (see Artificer, Treasury, Baker...), so $5 would probably be good here.

Archaeologist by LibraryAdventurer
Very very very broken. After four purchases, ruins are going to be absolutely amazing. I mean, Abandoned Mine becomes a free Grand Market for crying out loud. Getting there shouldn't be difficult in 2P: the card itself is a cantrip and, afer two purchases, Ruins aren't going to be a hindrance either and Archaeologist becomes a superior Lost City. Not sure how to balance it; getting rid of the ability to gain ruins to the hand and to play $3 costs would be a start I suppose. Right now, it's probably superior to The Forbidden Card: Superlab.
You're probably right that it's too strong, but I don't think it's quite as broken as a Superlab. I'll make it slightly weaker.

Forest Path by Something_Smart
On face value, this looks pretty horrible, as it's a Woodcutter that cost $5 that can do something else. But woodcutters are helpful at depleting the pile with the -2$ token on it. And on turns you move the -2$ token, it could be essentially equivalent to +$4, +1 Buy, which is nice. Playtesting needs to determine if this card is good enough (it's almost certainly not broken), but I think it will be on the weak side (though certainly not Harvest-tier weak).
I think you misread the card. You either get +$2 or place the -$2 cost token, never both. Which IMO makes it too weak for $5, but I think it'd be fine at $4.

My favorites (with appropriate tweaks): Pioneer, Shipwright, Forest Path, and my Archaeologist of course.

But congrats to NoMoreFun anyway...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 06:41:02 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: January 05, 2020, 08:06:31 pm »

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Forest Path being able to make Provinces cost $6 is pretty good and definitely worth $5...

Congrats NoMoreFun!

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: January 05, 2020, 09:39:35 pm »

Regarding my own card, I couldn't agree more with the feedback (again).

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: January 05, 2020, 10:47:11 pm »

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Forest Path being able to make Provinces cost $6 is pretty good and definitely worth $5...
Oh I missed that. I'm used to the -$2 cost token being only usable on action card piles.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: January 06, 2020, 04:39:32 am »

Ok, judging time.

Tramway by NoMoreFun
This is a really nice way of using your -1 card token. Tramway+Smithy is a slightly more reliable version of Village+Smithy. When you don't undo the -1card token, you can have some actions and some Coffers, but your next hand is gimped. Like it a lot. A $4 price would've been probably better though.
Why? This is either a Village (slightly better due to the increased matching chances with a Smithy that you pointed out) or a degenerate village which is roughly similar to Village and hardly worth more than $3 (precisely because it does not draw which again decreases the matching chances; the implicit comparison of Tramway+Tramway is obviously Village+Village).
$3 is precisely the right price as it is not (strictly) better than Village (it is actually easy to argue that this is often slightly worse).

Pioneer by Fragasnap
This could work as a $6 cost, as it is basically a Peddler+ when drawn with another Action card. Being able to move your +1 Card token mid turn is a scary feat, but it really needs to connect probably in order to be that impactful. And using your +1 Card token on a card that appears once isn't super impressive (but not bad either)
There's no way this is strong enough for $6. A peddler+ is usually $5 cost (see Artificer, Treasury, Baker...), so $5 would probably be good here.
It is a Copper which could make itself into a Peddler or improve any other card. So it is a Copper+ and $4 is the right price.

Adventurer's Village by [TP] Inferno
Mmm, I'm not convinced this is balanced at $4. Mass buying this still provides a good amount of +Actions, +Coin and +Buy without reducing your handsize. The thing that keeps City from being overbearing is the First Mover problem. This card doesn't have that at all.
Dude, this ain't no City. It is on average:
+1 Card
+1.5 Actions
+1 Buy
+ 0.5 Coins

So it is a Workers Village which trades half an Action for half a Coin. Does this make it a $5? Perhaps, but it is definitely not crazy.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4380 on: January 06, 2020, 05:45:24 pm »
+1

Pioneer by Fragasnap

Archaeologist by LibraryAdventurer
Very very very broken. After four purchases, ruins are going to be absolutely amazing. I mean, Abandoned Mine becomes a free Grand Market for crying out loud. Getting there shouldn't be difficult in 2P: the card itself is a cantrip and, afer two purchases, Ruins aren't going to be a hindrance either and Archaeologist becomes a superior Lost City. Not sure how to balance it; getting rid of the ability to gain ruins to the hand and to play $3 costs would be a start I suppose. Right now, it's probably superior to The Forbidden Card: Superlab.
You're probably right that it's too strong, but I don't think it's quite as broken as a Superlab. I'll make it slightly weaker.

Forest Path by Something_Smart
On face value, this looks pretty horrible, as it's a Woodcutter that cost $5 that can do something else. But woodcutters are helpful at depleting the pile with the -2$ token on it. And on turns you move the -2$ token, it could be essentially equivalent to +$4, +1 Buy, which is nice. Playtesting needs to determine if this card is good enough (it's almost certainly not broken), but I think it will be on the weak side (though certainly not Harvest-tier weak).
I think you misread the card. You either get +$2 or place the -$2 cost token, never both. Which IMO makes it too weak for $5, but I think it'd be fine at $4.

My favorites (with appropriate tweaks): Pioneer, Shipwright, Forest Path, and my Archaeologist of course.

But congrats to NoMoreFun anyway...

I didn't misread Forest path; when you move the -2$ token and then use the extra buy to gain 2 cards from that pile, then you essentially gained $4 out of this card. You are right at your other points.

I realize that some of the feedback is somewhat ill-formulated, but I think that Tramway is still a valid choice for a winner.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: January 06, 2020, 07:27:44 pm »
+2

Thank you grrgrrgrr.

Challenge: Fee for service

The card (shaped thing) must involve paying or overpaying some kind of currency (eg $, Actions, Buys, VP Tokens, Coffers, Villagers, some other arbitrary token that can be earned). The overpay mechanic from Guilds is allowed, and the official cards Storyteller, Butcher and Black Market would count. Discard for benefit (eg Artificer) doesn't count.

bitwise

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: January 06, 2020, 07:42:17 pm »

Scrap Melter
Action
Cost: $4
Trash a card from your hand. +1 Coffer for every $ it cost. You may return 1 Coffer for +1 Villager.

D782802859

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +381
    • View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: January 06, 2020, 08:56:38 pm »

Woodworker
Action
+1 Buy
You may spend up to three Buys. Gain a card costing up to $4 once per Buy spent.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:59:15 pm by D782802859 »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: January 06, 2020, 09:09:37 pm »

EDIT: I am going to stick with this card after all. It has the sort of potential for digging ones own grave I like.

Does this fit the theme? I'm honestly not sure it does.

(image credit: Drunk Pirate with Pigs print by Shaunna Peterson https://www.etsy.com/nz/listing/207874147/drunk-pirate-with-pigs-print-by-shaunna)

Also is it awful? At least the idea of gaining a lot of dosh but not being able to buy anything feels like a rowdy patron being blocked at the bar.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:57:32 pm by somekindoftony »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: January 06, 2020, 09:20:42 pm »

Woodworker
Action
+1 Buy
You may spend up to three Buys. Gain a card costing up to $4 once per Buy spent.

Playing just one of these is strictly better than playing a Workshop... seems way too good for just costing instead of for Workshop; considering how much better it can get when you have other sources of buy, or less than to spend with your normal buy.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:23:10 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: January 06, 2020, 10:26:25 pm »

Time Machine
cost $5 - Action - Duration
+2 Coffers
If the previous turn wasn't yours, and if this is the first Time Machine you played in this turn, you may pay up to 3 Coffers. If you do, draw that many (instead of 5 cards) in this turn's Cleanup phase, and take another turn.

You draw 3 cards when you play Outpost later in the same turn.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: January 07, 2020, 12:19:36 am »
+1

I realize that some of the feedback is somewhat ill-formulated, but I think that Tramway is still a valid choice for a winner.
I didn't mean to imply your choice was invalid. When you're the judge, it's up to you. My 2 cents is nothing more than my 2 cents.

My card for this week:
Night Stocker
$5 - Night - Duration
Pay up to . Return a card from the trash to the supply for each coin you spent this way.
At the start of your next turn: + and +1 Buy.
While this is in play, +2 when you gain the last card in a supply pile.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: January 07, 2020, 12:26:39 am »
+3

Here's my submission

Similar to black market, but you have better idea what you're going to get. Not as many possibilities, but more certainty. Obviously, the value of this card will depend on the cards on the mat.

I priced this at $4, because while it's not strictly better than Woodcutter, it does seem better. It's essentially $2, a buy, and access to cards impossible to get otherwise (which presumably you want because you bought the card). Seems a little more helpful than BM because what you get is more predictable.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: January 07, 2020, 03:25:19 am »
+1

Also is it awful? At least the idea of gaining a lot of dosh but not being able to buy anything feels like a rowdy patron being blocked at the bar.
It's bad. Contraband tells us that blocking 1 card is already a huge downside, and this doesn't provide the benefit to justify that. The only way it is useful is with Event/Projects or a no-buy engine, and then 3 is always the correct choice, so it doesn't really offer an interesting decision.
Which is a shame because Contraband is a cool concept. But it's just hard to make it not terrible.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 03:43:39 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: January 07, 2020, 03:26:07 am »
+4

Textile Mill - Action, $5 cost.
+3 Cards
You may take Exhausted. If you do, +2 Cards.
Exhausted - State
When you next have unused Actions (Actions, not Action cards) during your Action phase , immediately return this and -1 Action.

I used this State in a previous contest, but here it's justified; you could use this in games with no Villages. Exhausted can carry over to next turn to take away the Action you get right at the start. So here's a simple draw where you can pay an extra Action to double it up.

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: January 07, 2020, 05:39:25 am »
+1

Do the -1 Card and -1$ tokens from Adventures count for this contest?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: January 07, 2020, 07:44:50 am »
+1

Do the -1 Card and -1$ tokens from Adventures count for this contest?

They weren't really what I had in mind. I'd prefer "spend a good thing on something other than its originally intended purpose" than "penalty". I would have specified that it had to be a cost paid for a beneficial effect but I like LastFootnote's Trade Tokens and Asper's Sheriff so I'll allow for paying neutral tokens, or even negative ones.

I'll judge any card submitted for the contest, just try and keep it within the intent of what I proposed or else you're very unlikely to win.

Optionally being able to take them for additional benefit is more within the spirit of the competition than compulsory taking on play/buy etc. I just couldn't require it to be optional as Storyteller is definitely within the spirit of the competition even though paying all your $ is compulsory.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 07:47:57 am by NoMoreFun »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: January 07, 2020, 08:48:27 am »
+1

Edit:  Gonna stick with Rowdy Patron. Thanks spineflu for the quality comments below but Rowdy Patron makes me laugh even if it's often a poor choice.

Well due to agreeing that the aforementioned Rowdy Patron is ummm kinda lousy I am submitting this instead.

But please tell me if this is not on the theme. I'm going for something a little different to overpay but I may have gone too far. I'm aiming for an optional cost effect that applies to all other cards really by letting you sack an action for +$1 basically.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:41:14 pm by somekindoftony »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4394 on: January 07, 2020, 09:40:32 am »

Well due to agreeing that the aforementioned Rowdy Patron is ummm kinda lousy I am submitting this instead.

But please tell me if this is not on the theme. I'm going for something a little different to overpay but I may have gone too far. I'm aiming for an optional cost effect that applies to all other cards really by letting you sack an action for +$1 basically.

I really like this - it's not supposed to have a once per turn clause on it, right? - for letting you really stick the landing on an engine game where you'd otherwise be leaving one province. I don't know if it's on theme but this should be a real card.

It is supposed to be an event right?

Also a copy-editing note - + Buys go before +$

Not sure if this will be my final submission, but I'll put it down for now.

Gnome
Action/Fate - $2+
+1 Action. Look at the top Boon; you may receive it. If you don't, +1 Card.
--
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, receive the top Boon once per $1 you overpaid.

I don't know if I'd ever overpay for this - of the boons only Flame's (trashing), Moon's (topdeck from discard), and River's (+Cards at end of turn) gift would be worth doing multiple times at the end of the buy phase, unless like... you want to silver flood or hog all the will-o-wisps or something. You may want to do the Blessed Village thing and give them at the start of next turn.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 01:18:50 pm by spineflu »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: January 07, 2020, 12:06:57 pm »
+1

Gnome
Action/Fate - $2+
--
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, receive the top Boon once per $1 you overpaid.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: January 07, 2020, 01:02:43 pm »
+2

Not sure if this counts, Metal tokens are just a generic token used to track this card.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: January 07, 2020, 01:16:00 pm »

Gnome
Action/Fate - $2+
--

This seems like this would be unfair if the Flame's gift is the only way of trashing and someone can overpay on this by a lot.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: January 07, 2020, 01:24:57 pm »

Maybe. It'd be very difficult to set up an overpay of more than $2. The $2 overpay is powerful, but at least sometimes there's a way for your opponent to steal it from you.

I think given the possibility to look at the Boons before receiving them, it isn't much worse than the variance the flame's gift already has.

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: January 07, 2020, 01:46:25 pm »
+5

Challenge: Fee for service

The card (shaped thing) must involve paying or overpaying some kind of currency (eg $, Actions, Buys, VP Tokens, Coffers, Villagers, some other arbitrary token that can be earned). The overpay mechanic from Guilds is allowed, and the official cards Storyteller, Butcher and Black Market would count. Discard for benefit (eg Artificer) doesn't count.

(Edited to put the prompt at the top, so you don't have to go digging too far into the previous page to find it.)

My entry:

Porcelain Shop
$3 - Action
+1 Coffers
Remove any number of tokens from your Coffers. For each one, +2$.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:43:23 pm by Snowyowl »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.