Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546647 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Are there no Weekly Design Contests, no workhouses?
« Reply #4300 on: December 20, 2019, 09:05:15 am »
+2

I slept on it and I think Snowyowl's right about it taking too long / being too fiddly.
I'm uh withdrawing "Prepare" and entering "Papa Noel" instead.
It's a riff on Governor and is non-terminal with Capitalism (which honestly seems about right).

Papa Noel • @8 • Action
+$1
Choose one; you get the version in parenthesis: Each player gets +1 (+2) Coffers; or Each player may discard up to 2 (3) cards from their hand then draw until they have 5 (7) cards in hand; Each player may discard a Victory card for +1 ( +2 ) %.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:13:14 am by spineflu »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4301 on: December 20, 2019, 02:44:41 pm »
+1

here's my attempt, hopefully the attack part is okay.

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
Re: King's Court your "Ho!" to get Ho! Ho! Ho!
« Reply #4302 on: December 20, 2019, 03:32:19 pm »

Papa Noel • @8 • Action
+$1
Choose one; you get the version in parenthesis: Each player gets +1 (+2) Coffers; or Each player may discard up to 2 (3) cards from their hand then draw until they have 5 (7) cards in hand; Each player may discard a Victory card for +1 ( +2 ) %.
Potent stuff! I like the Governor riff, that's a good way to make a card that helps everyone, but also helps you more so you actually have a reason to play it.
Giving VPs is a bit fraught. Usually that's tied to something that advances the game (e.g. emptying the Supply) so that you can't have the game continue forever with everyone gaining VPs but nobody emptying a pile. Santa has to rest sometime, it can't be Christmas forever.
What's the reason for it costing Debt? Nothing wrong with that, I just don't get it.

Sub For Santa
$5 - Action - Attack
Gain a card costing up to $5. Each other player gains a Curse and a card of their choice costing less than the one you gained.
That's a neat junking attack! It can gain itself, it can gain a Duchy... it can gain a $2 card and if there's no $1 card they have to take a Copper and a Curse, that's so mean.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: December 20, 2019, 03:38:50 pm »
+1

When is the deadline for this one? I've had an idea stewing in my head, but it's not fully formed yet.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: December 20, 2019, 03:54:25 pm »
+1

When is the deadline for this one? I've had an idea stewing in my head, but it's not fully formed yet.

It's Saturday morning where I live. I'll go until Monday night (24 hour warning will be 36 hours from now)

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: trashed with a stake of Holly thru his heart
« Reply #4305 on: December 20, 2019, 04:45:17 pm »

Papa Noel • @8 • Action
+$1
Potent stuff! I like the Governor riff, that's a good way to make a card that helps everyone, but also helps you more so you actually have a reason to play it.
Giving VPs is a bit fraught. Usually that's tied to something that advances the game (e.g. emptying the Supply) so that you can't have the game continue forever with everyone gaining VPs but nobody emptying a pile. Santa has to rest sometime, it can't be Christmas forever.
What's the reason for it costing Debt? Nothing wrong with that, I just don't get it.

Thematic reasons; 8 debt is roughly the $5/$6 ish mark, by my estimation, and this allows santa to come early (as someone who has missed the $5 mark until turn 6 in the last like, five games hes played). The free VPs is yeah, potentially golden deck fodder, but a net +1VP is more like tiebreaker potential than "runaway win" potential; it's also kind of the hubris option, since it sets up the other player's draw-to-X for Papa Noel
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:15:17 am by spineflu »

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: December 20, 2019, 05:31:44 pm »
+1

That all makes sense, thanks.

somekindoftony

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: December 20, 2019, 08:56:57 pm »
+1

https://imgur.com/a/CUJEUiN

Aagh. Hi all.
Any advice on how to embed these into the reply. I can't seem to find where I would even find how to do it.

Also the Ghost of Christmas Past should have that heirloom reference on it that tells you to include the Ghost of Christmas Past in your deck at the beginning of the game instead of a copper. But I thought it looked messy.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: A Poor Excuse for Picking a man's pocket every december the 25th
« Reply #4308 on: December 20, 2019, 09:38:51 pm »

https://imgur.com/a/CUJEUiN

Aagh. Hi all.
Any advice on how to embed these into the reply. I can't seem to find where I would even find how to do it.

Also the Ghost of Christmas Past should have that heirloom reference on it that tells you to include the Ghost of Christmas Past in your deck at the beginning of the game instead of a copper. But I thought it looked messy.

[ img width=250 ] Image's url (ending in .jpg / .png / etc) goes here [ /img ], but without the spaces around the brackets.

You can replace the 250 with whatever and that'll be the image's width in pixels; 250 works good for most vertical cards, 350 for landscape cards.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 06:17:59 pm by spineflu »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: December 20, 2019, 10:14:03 pm »
+2

So the expectation here is that the Ghost of Christmas Present is in people's deck replacing a copper at the start with a kind of spoils that also gives +1 Buy. Buying a Ghost of Christmas Past from the supply ( a fairly ordinary card in and of itself ) will allow you to gain the Ghost of Christmas Future from outside the supply who in addition to being a great trasher will gain you all those Ghosts of Christmas Present in the trash.

(Tah spineflu)

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: December 22, 2019, 01:07:01 am »
+2

v0.2

Notes from v0.1:

(I'll likely still tweak this some tomorrow, but wanted to get this out there to get some feedback)

Originally this was super simple: "+3 cards, Each player may set aside a Victory from their hand." The +3 cards helped you increase the probability for you, but I was still worried it would miss for you, but hit for your opponents. So I went with "Reveal until..."

The +1 Action allows you to play multiple WWs in a turn, and with each, your opponents are less likely to have a Victory in their hands.

It's still missing something, maybe a +Buy to also help you get more victories for future turns?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:50:32 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: December 22, 2019, 04:06:57 am »
+1

I prefer the Smithy version.

The problem of this is that it is not the best opening buy. After the first shuffle chances are high that the opponents have green in hand, so this would do something virtually identical for everybody.
So this is then only decent for alt-VP and once you start to green.

The Smithy variant on the other hand is more versatile, even with little or no green in your deck you might want a $5 Smithy.

Basically we already went though something very similar to this with Scout and Patrol.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: December 22, 2019, 04:55:06 am »
+1

Judging is in 24 hours
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:57:05 am by NoMoreFun »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: December 22, 2019, 11:12:54 am »
+1

Too lazy to make another image, sorry

Magic Workshop
Action - $4
Gain a card costing up to $5.

Name an Action card in the Supply costing at least $3; each other player may gain a copy of it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:50:20 am by Something_Smart »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: December 22, 2019, 11:52:51 am »

Silver is often semi-junk so this is likely too strong. I'd take a minimum price of $4, and if you wanna be on the safe side you can add an extra Kingdom card costing $4 whenever Magic Workshop is present.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: December 22, 2019, 11:56:46 am »

(I'll likely still tweak this some tomorrow, but wanted to get this out there to get some feedback)

Originally this was super simple: "+3 cards, Each player may set aside a Victory from their hand." The +3 cards helped you increase the probability for you, but I was still worried it would miss for you, but hit for your opponents. So I went with "Reveal until..."

The +1 Action allows you to play multiple WWs in a turn, and with each, your opponents are less likely to have a Victory in their hands.

It's still missing something, maybe a +Buy to also help you get more victories for future turns?

The problem of this is that it is not the best opening buy. After the first shuffle chances are high that the opponents have green in hand, so this would do something virtually identical for everybody.

The Smithy variant on the other hand is more versatile, even with little or no green in your deck you might want a $5 Smithy.

Basically we already went though something very similar to this with Scout and Patrol.

imo, split the difference, put it at +1 Card +1 Action +[reveal until victory] and bump the price to $4 or $5. That way it's a lab-cantrip hybrid that always draws a victory for the second card (and then sets a card aside).

Love the concept on these but isn't that the Ghost of Christmas Present in Scrooged? You didn't wanna go with David Johansen's over the top cabbie?

the goodwill-to-all aspect breaks in Potions games because no one is going to want to get junked with potions.
You might want to revise the order of these to make it more ... charitable - something like
Choose a card in the Supply costing at least $3; each other player may gain a copy of it. If anyone does, gain a card costing up to $5; otherwise, +1 Action
which keeps it from being a totally dead card in a game with an opponent who is refusing your help.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: December 22, 2019, 06:26:56 pm »
+3

Wanted something heavy on theme? Here we go!

Christmas - Event $4
Choose to gain a Grinch; or both a Gift and a card costing up to $4. Each other player that has Naughty gains a Lump of Coal; if they don't have Naughty, they gain a Gift.

An event that acts like a sort of messenger if everyone plays nice, but ends up attacking everyone if they are Naughty. How do you get Naughty?

Naughty - State
When you play an Attack card, take Naughty.

Ah, so you get Naughty by being Naughty. Seems thematic.

So that explains that. But what a Lump of Coal vs a Gift? And what's a Grinch? A Grinch is a laboratory attack (that's where Naughty comes into play). And a Lump of Coal is a better Confusion and a Gift is a weak wish.

Gift - Action - $4*
+1 Action

Return this to the Gift pile, if you did, gain a card costing up to $4.

(This is not in the Supply.)

Lump of Coal - Action - $0*
Return this to the Lump of Coal pile.

Grinch - Action Attack - $6*
+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a Gift or reveals a hand with no Gifts. Then, each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.
(There are 10 copies of each of these. Seems about right. Sometimes you will run out of gifts to give.)

So yeah, you buy Christmas and everyone gets presents, and hey you get one two, and also get to open one immediately! Or you could get a grinch to take away people's presents. Grinch is a powerful card in that Laboratory is a powerful card. The attack is annoying but amounts to a slightly stronger urchin overall, so not terribly painful. Plus, normally you can only be hit once by it. Of course, playing a Grinch opens you up to other people attacking you by buying Christmases. It's worth noting that giving the other players Gifts is nice, but they have to wait to play the card and then another shuffle to use the card they exchanged the Gift for. So, it is slightly weaker of a boon to your opponents then it may seem. And you, if you're naughty, you don't mind giving them gifts because you can force them to discard them with your Grinches and never even be able to open the Gifts. Now that isn't the Christmas spirit!

So, at first buying Christmas does something positive for the other players. If they stay nice, it keeps doing something positive. But if they get Naughty, then it no longer does. Okay, those are my cards! Always open to feedback.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:36:56 pm by anordinaryman »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: December 22, 2019, 08:35:11 pm »
+1

imo, split the difference, put it at +1 Card +1 Action +[reveal until victory] and bump the price to $4 or $5. That way it's a lab-cantrip hybrid that always draws a victory for the second card (and then sets a card aside).

Good points from both, thanks. I decided to try and go back to the Smithy variant, with an additional bonus. That way, even if you miss and others don't, you get 1VP.

(I considered tweaking the order and have other players set aside first, so they don't know if you have, but that didn't seem worth it for the added words. Unless I make the +1 VP contingent on *only* the other players.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:48:35 pm by scolapasta »

somekindoftony

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: December 23, 2019, 12:51:33 am »
+1

Oh no spineflu did I really get that wrong? Aagh I did.
Its an ephemeral spirit in the book so I just made the mistake in my memory about the film.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: December 23, 2019, 01:13:41 am »
+1

Christmas - Event $4
Choose to gain a Grinch; or both a Gift and a card costing up to $4. Each other player that has Naughty gains a Lump of Coal; if they don't have Naughty, they gain a Gift.

An event that acts like a sort of messenger if everyone plays nice, but ends up attacking everyone if they are Naughty. How do you get Naughty?

Naughty - State

So that explains that. But what a Lump of Coal vs a Gift? And what's a Grinch? A Grinch is a laboratory attack (that's where Naughty comes into play). And a Lump of Coal is a better Confusion and a Gift is a weak wish.

Gift - Action - $4*
+1 Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action
Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a Gift or reveals a hand with no Gifts. Then, each other player discards down to 4 cards in hand.
(There are 10 copies of each of these. Seems about right. Sometimes you will run out of gifts to give.)

So yeah, you buy Christmas and everyone gets presents, and hey you get one two, and also get to open one immediately! Or you could get a grinch to take away people's presents. Grinch is a powerful card in that Laboratory is a powerful card. The attack is annoying but amounts to a slightly stronger urchin overall, so not terribly painful. Plus, normally you can only be hit once by it. Of course, playing a Grinch opens you up to other people attacking you by buying Christmases. It's worth noting that giving the other players Gifts is nice, but they have to wait to play the card and then another shuffle to use the card they exchanged the Gift for. So, it is slightly weaker of a boon to your opponents then it may seem. And you, if you're naughty, you don't mind giving them gifts because you can force them to discard them with your Grinches and never even be able to open the Gifts. Now that isn't the Christmas spirit!

So, at first buying Christmas does something positive for the other players. If they stay nice, it keeps doing something positive. But if they get Naughty, then it no longer does. Okay, those are my cards! Always open to feedback.

Nice theme!

Once you take naughty, are you naughty for the rest of the game, or should there maybe be a way to return it? How about when you play / return lump of coal? (Forcing you to play it and not just trash it)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4320 on: December 23, 2019, 06:05:08 am »
+1

Tired tonight so everyone gets another 24 hours!

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: December 23, 2019, 09:13:04 am »

Christmas - Event $4

Naughty - State

Gift - Action - $4*
+1 Action

+2 Cards
+1 Action

Nice theme!

Once you take naughty, are you naughty for the rest of the game, or should there maybe be a way to return it? How about when you play / return lump of coal? (Forcing you to play it and not just trash it)

Yes, I guess the one thing anti-theme is that you can’t ever lose naughty (goes against the literal tale I’m invoking of the grinch). I thought about ways to make naughty go away (what if you could give a gift to become Un-naughty — VERY thematic ) but they all run into design problems. If naughty is temporary, you tactically get these cheap labs, so Christmas has to be more expensive, and more powerful, but still balanced for both naughty and nice players. I couldn’t think of a way that was fun and balanced to play.

I also like that, once made, this is a permanent decision. It also gives players who don’t like attacks a way to playfully punish players that do use attacks. “Hey— I was trying to give you a gift. It’s YOUR fault you’re naughty!”

Thank you for the feedback. Feel free to take the naughty concept and play with a workable way to lose naughty. I just personally couldn’t find design there that I wanted to pursue more than a permanent naughty.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: December 23, 2019, 09:52:36 am »
+1

I could change Magic Workshop to "choose an Action card costing at least $3." That would solve both the Silver and Potion problems, though it would remove the ability to distribute useless alt-VP like Duke and Feodum (which I thought was cool), but that's also probably for the better.

I think anordinaryman spineflu's suggestion is too political and also far too weak; I'd never take a $3 if it meant my opponent got a $5, and the Ruined Village aspect doesn't really help. (At least make it a cantrip, though it could be interesting to make it a Peddler or Lab or something your opponent might want to accept the gift to deny you, but that's still very political in multiplayer.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:02:02 pm by Something_Smart »

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: December 23, 2019, 02:45:46 pm »
+1

I think anordinaryman's suggestion is too political and also far too weak; I'd never take a $3 if it meant my opponent got a $5, and the Ruined Village aspect doesn't really help. (At least make it a cantrip, though it could be interesting to make it a Peddler or Lab or something your opponent might want to accept the gift to deny you, but that's still very political in multiplayer.)

Uh... I’m really confused. There’s no choice to take a 3 for your opponent to get a 5...i think you may have misread it?

When you buy Christmas, there’s no conditional on the opponents accepting the gift. They always get it, and you always get your reward of either a gift and a $4, or a grinch.

So, it’s not that political. Sure in a 3 person game there’s a little politics between buying a $4 and buying Christmas if one opponent is naughty and the other isn’t, but more often the choice is, do *I* want a free gift with my $4? In a game where you’re buying $4s, you do. Or if you’re going for a grinch, it ain’t political cuz you can’t buy one you need to buy Christmas

There’s also nothing close to a ruined village... there’s a weak gift that has +1 action on it but you gain a card with it. And there’s a lump of coal but that’s like a confusion you can self return if you have a spare action. So it’s like a minus action.

edit: spineflu pointed out that  this comment was directed towards his suggestion towards a card, and not my contest submission. Probably using my name instead of his was a typo Something_Smart made?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 03:44:43 pm by anordinaryman »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: December 23, 2019, 02:47:51 pm »
+1

i think Something_Smart was talking my suggestion on his card, which admittedly does make it a political card. anordinaryman, yours seems very well thoughtout and balanced to me.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.