Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546471 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4275 on: December 15, 2019, 03:43:12 am »
+3

Santa Claus, Action, $5
+1 Card
+1 Action

—————————
While this is in play, when you gain a card without buying it, +1 and each other player draws a card.

Mixture between Tree and Groundskeeper so quite lame. Potentially broken with discard attacks and in some Kingdoms during the the last turn  (easy extra Buys, Masterpiece, ...) while often being too weak (+1 Card can be situationally stronger than +1).

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: December 15, 2019, 04:00:55 pm »
+2

Santa's Workshop
$3
Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Gain a card costing up to $4.
-------
When you gain this, each other player gains a Gift.

Gift
$0*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
Return this to its pile.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Setup instructions for Gift: 10 Gifts are used instead of 50, as they return themselves.
The name is as thematic as I could get, hopefully it works.
So basically, it's a Workshop+ that gives a little present to the other players. How nice. I think the +Buy will be useful in Gardens games, and if you're making an engine, this could help you gain 3 cheap components in a single turn. Just be careful how many Gifts you give.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:23:41 am by [TP] Inferno »
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: December 15, 2019, 04:18:25 pm »
+1

I can explain the flavour of all the abilities if you need.

forkofnature

• Steward
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: December 15, 2019, 04:35:29 pm »

This probably needs at least +1 Action to be viable, considering it does nothing every other time you play it. Ranger and Giant at least give small benefits whenever you play them and don't benefit your opponents in the process. Granted, Pilgrimage does nothing every other time, but it has a much higher ceiling than this card, doesn't cost an Action to use, and again, it doesn't benefit your opponents.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 04:50:02 pm by forkofnature »

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: December 15, 2019, 05:40:18 pm »
+2

This probably needs at least +1 Action to be viable, considering it does nothing every other time you play it. Ranger and Giant at least give small benefits whenever you play them and don't benefit your opponents in the process. Granted, Pilgrimage does nothing every other time, but it has a much higher ceiling than this card, doesn't cost an Action to use, and again, it doesn't benefit your opponents.

Agreed that this is a bit weak. I don't think the fact that this does nothing rather than very little on its off turn is particularly relevant, I think you could argue that Ranger would be better if it gave both buys on the 2nd play.

Giving this +1 Action is definitely not the thing to do, largely because of how that undermines the Journey token dynamic but also that seems way too strong for a $4 to me. I'd go with this change:

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4280 on: December 16, 2019, 09:11:29 am »

Santa's Workshop
$3
Action
+1 Buy
Gain a card costing up to $4. Each other player gains a Gift.

Gift
$0*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

Setup instructions for Gift: Use as many of them as you would Curses (haha). 50 provided.
So basically, it's a Workshop+ that gives a little present to the other players. How nice. I think the +Buy will be useful in Gardens games, and if you're making an engine, this could help you gain 3 cheap components in a single turn. Just be careful how many Gifts you give.

Just to be clear - Gifts aren't in the supply, right? Like, the impression i'm getting is they're in a similar boat to Spoils or Will-O-Wisps but uh it doesn't have the "not in the supply" disclaimer and also they're immediately compared to Curses so ... in the supply? free peddlers?

Also: gain 3 cheap components? help me w the math on that - i'm seeing the gained card, the +Buy card, and ????
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:15:36 am by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: December 16, 2019, 10:25:59 am »
+1

Santa's Workshop
$3
Action
+1 Buy
Gain a card costing up to $4. Each other player gains a Gift.

Gift
$0*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

Setup instructions for Gift: Use as many of them as you would Curses (haha). 50 provided.

Just to be clear - Gifts aren't in the supply, right? Like, the impression i'm getting is they're in a similar boat to Spoils or Will-O-Wisps but uh it doesn't have the "not in the supply" disclaimer and also they're immediately compared to Curses so ... in the supply? free peddlers?

Also: gain 3 cheap components? help me w the math on that - i'm seeing the gained card, the +Buy card, and ????
And the "normal" Buy. You gain one card and can buy 2 cards.

I think that a Workshop with an extra Buy is cool (I play with an "Worskhop or Woodcutter but with the Buy being storable via a token similar to Villagers/Coffers" card) but agree that a free Peddler is far too strong.

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: December 16, 2019, 02:13:15 pm »
+1

Santa's Workshop seems underpowered. The gifts are better than most $4 cards you could gain, so you help your opponents more than you help yourself.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: December 16, 2019, 05:56:45 pm »
+1

Ah yes, sorry. They aren't in the Supply. Edited.

Also, you guys are right. What if the peddlers came only on-gain? This means they only get one if you only buy one.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: December 16, 2019, 08:31:49 pm »
+2

Christmas Feast
Event -  $5
-
Look at cards from the Christmas Feast deck equal to the number of players. Gain one of these cards onto your deck. Each other player may gain one of the remaining cards at random, putting it onto their deck.
-
Setup: Make a Christmas Feast deck out of different unused Kingdom cards.

(You look at the cards privately and do not reveal them. After picking a card for yourself, you hold the remaining cards out face-down and have other players randomly pick one.)
This is fun. Couple of questions:
1. What happens to the cards players do not gain (as the gaining is optional)?
2. What happens if I gain an Ill-Gotten Gains (either as the buyer who sees it or a player who doesn't)? You might prefer to avoid the key-word "gain" so it doesn't trigger on-gain effects.
3. Do you think it's okay that super weak Victory cards can be part of the Christmas Feast deck? I think there are plenty of cards that would be bad to randomly shove into a deck without having Silk Road be one of them.

Snow Hill
Action - $5
+1 Card, +1 Action
You may play any number of Sleighs from your hand.
Each player including you gains a Sleigh.

Sleigh
Action - $0*
+3 Cards
Return this to its pile.
*This is not in the supply. There is a separate pile of 5 Sleighs per player.
I don't like that Sleigh is terminal without Snow Hill. It creates a possibly degenerate effect of every player needing to gain Snow Hills or else get buried in Sleighs.

Midnight Ride, Night, $3
Choose a non-Victory card. Starting with the player on your left, each player (including you) gains a copy of that card, putting it on top of their deck.

Even though you're the last to receive a card, you're still the first to get to use it, which I figure is reasonable given you're spending a buy to probably help everyone, which is really bad for tempo.
I think you are mistaken here.  I don't get to use it first, I just get it into my hand during Clean-Up.  Each other player need only play a cantrip to draw the card and use it before I get to.
Workshop+ to the top of my deck and everyone else gains to their discard pile would probably still be pretty weak.

Santa's Workshop
$3
Action
+1 Buy
-------

Gift
$0*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

The benefit on top of Workshop is so marginal to make giving other players a free Peddler. I can see it being bought in some games when a +Buy is desperately needed, but that it will rot in the same hole as Woodcutter for that reason.  The card is also simply very component hungry, which I think is an unspoken issue on this forum.  I'd never want to print 50 Gift cards to work with one weak card.  I'd recommend that Gift be a one-shot Peddler (could even be optional like "may return this to its pile for +$1") so having 10 of them would be reasonable, and then balancing the other card around that.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: December 17, 2019, 12:22:46 am »
+1

Please do

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: December 17, 2019, 12:37:53 am »

@Fragasnap Good points. I'll tweak the wording a bit so that those issues don't arise.

Also, you guys are right. What if the peddlers came only on-gain? This means they only get one if you only buy one.
It's better regarding balance, but I think it could be more interesting.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: December 17, 2019, 12:11:24 pm »
+3

The Grinch ($3, Event)
+1 Villager
If the Grinch token is face down, turn it over. (When the Grinch token is face up, each player gains an Imp at the end of their turn)

To clearify, there is one Grinch token, which starts face down.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:50:21 am by grrgrrgrr »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest 55: WDC a humbug, uncle? surely you don't mean that.
« Reply #4288 on: December 18, 2019, 09:13:35 am »
+1

EDIT: this is withdrawn; new entry is here

changing up my entry (again) to a scrying pool variant that helps everyone rather than hurts everyone:
Prepare • $4 • Action - Victory
+1 Action.
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may discard any number of them.
All players reveal cards from their deck until they reveal a Victory card. Put one of your revealed cards into your hand and discard the rest. Each other player may discard a card revealed this way then put the rest back in the same order.
-
2%

Revisions:
  • changed from 1VP to 2VP
  • changed other player action to "discard a card revealed this way and put the rest back"
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:06:18 am by spineflu »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: December 18, 2019, 11:26:25 am »

This is too weak as the active player net draws 0 cards whereas all other players netdraw one. Compare this with Governor which netdraws 2 for the active player and 1 for the others.
I guess this would even too weak in Kingdoms without discard Attacks if you added +1 Card for the active player: it would then be a Lab with some mildly superior sifting for you vs a Lab with some sifting for the other players.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 11:29:15 am by segura »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: December 18, 2019, 12:38:32 pm »

net draw isn't The Point for you though, it's being able to pick the best card from between the top of your deck and whenever the next victory card [after card #3] is. It's sifting on roughly the same tier as a Embassy (no handsize gain like embassy, but is nonterminal). Like, net draw doesn't mean anything if you pick up three estates.

You point out one of the ways of short circuiting the benefit - handsize attacks - but topdeck attacks like Bureaucrat, Ghost Ship, and Haunted Woods do this as well.

I think moving this to to the 2VP scoring point might be a fair idea though. Makes Mill less worthwhile i guess but like, Mill costs more than Tunnel anyway so *mumbles incoherently*
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:41:09 pm by spineflu »

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +81
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: December 18, 2019, 03:09:44 pm »
+4

Gift Exchange
$3 - Action
Starting with the player to your left, each player trashes a card from their hand or a Gold from the supply.
Starting with you, each player may gain a card from the trash.

Art from Magic the Gathering: Reparations

It's secret Santa time!
You get to give last and choose first, so you can gift yourself a Gold if nobody else trashed one. Or take any other good card that somehow wound up in the trash. One man's junk is another man's treasure... but then, usually you'll take the actual treasure. Your opponent gets to trash a Copper, at least, so they get something out of it too.

Question:
The way I want this to work when the Gold pile is empty is: players can still choose the Gold option, and if they do they trash nothing. Is that how you understood it? If not, how can I tweak the wording?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 05:54:41 pm by Snowyowl »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: December 18, 2019, 03:48:22 pm »
+1

welcome to the board!

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: December 18, 2019, 04:08:47 pm »
+1

Thanks! I've been lurking for a little bit; this theme inspired me enough to create an account!

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: December 19, 2019, 06:22:00 am »

Santa's Workshop
$3
Action
+1 Buy
-------

Gift
$0*
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1

The benefit on top of Workshop is so marginal to make giving other players a free Peddler. I can see it being bought in some games when a +Buy is desperately needed, but that it will rot in the same hole as Woodcutter for that reason.  The card is also simply very component hungry, which I think is an unspoken issue on this forum.  I'd never want to print 50 Gift cards to work with one weak card.  I'd recommend that Gift be a one-shot Peddler (could even be optional like "may return this to its pile for +$1") so having 10 of them would be reasonable, and then balancing the other card around that.
Good idea. Making Gift a one shot would weaken the power and hopefully make Santa's Workshop viable a bit more. It itself is weak like you said, so maybe a +Action will help improve it without making it too strong. I will edit the OP.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: December 19, 2019, 06:27:51 am »

Please do
If I were to try, I can explain the top half, they journey far to see the baby Jesus(Journey token), then they present gifts of Gold and Spices (I assume Coffers has something to do with Spices, not too familiar with the card), but I don't see the thematic explanation behind the optional Minion-like effect.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: December 19, 2019, 11:12:08 am »
+1

net draw isn't The Point for you though, it's being able to pick the best card from between the top of your deck and whenever the next victory card [after card #3] is. It's sifting on roughly the same tier as a Embassy (no handsize gain like embassy, but is nonterminal). Like, net draw doesn't mean anything if you pick up three estates.
This is a better Border Guard for you. Let's say a $3.
This is a better Lab for everybody else, so a $6.

So nobody would ever buy this except when hitting $4 in the endgame to get 2VPs ... which is like buying Cemetery in the endgame without trashing anything.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: December 19, 2019, 01:28:00 pm »

good point. Modified so other players just get topdeck grooming rather than "put a card in hand"

Snowyowl

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: December 19, 2019, 02:52:22 pm »
+1

Christmas Feast
Event -  $4
-
Look at cards from the Christmas Feast deck equal to the number of players. Reveal and gain one of these cards onto your deck. Randomly hand out the remaining cards, giving one to each player. They may gain the card or put it on the bottom of the Christmas Feast deck.
-
Setup: Make a Christmas Feast deck out of different unused Kingdom cards.
The flavour of this one is delicious. Everyone gets cool presents, they could be anything until you unwrap them, enjoy the suspense! Somebody gets Socks and that's fine, you kept the receipt so they can return it. I think you nailed it.

I'm curious whether choosing first and topdecking the card is enough of an advantage that I'd choose to spend my Action on this. Topdecking helps a lot -we have entire cards like Scavenger and Harbinger just for that - but is it enough?

Well, maybe the player doesn't care about winning. Maybe they just want to spread some Christmas cheer. Like I said, delicious flavour.

Santa Claus, Action, $5
+1 Card
+1 Action

—————————
While this is in play, when you gain a card without buying it, +1 and each other player draws a card.
A lot of kingdoms won't have any way of triggering this. What a shame! Surely there's a tweak you can make so it activates itself, or can be activated with the base cards only? I can see one way by removing the text "without buying it", though of course that loses the link with Tree.

Big points for simplicity. You could print this on an actual card and it wouldn't even need a small font. It's hard to get an asymmetrical affects-all-players effect into so few words, that's why this week's contest is hard, but you pulled it off.

Prepare • $4 • Action - Victory
+1 Action.
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck. You may discard any number of them.
All players reveal cards from their deck until they reveal a Victory card. Put one of your revealed cards into your hand and discard the rest. Each other player may discard a card revealed this way then put the rest back in the same order.
-
2%
This might be too strong for 2VP now that you've buffed its Action. $4 for 2VP and a dead card is an OK deal on its own.

It has some neat self-synergy, because it looks for Victory cards and it's a Victory card itself. Prepare into Prepare! If these are your only Victory cards, you can search your entire deck for the one card you need.

... the thing is, playing this several times a turn would be slow and annoying. Every player has to draw a bunch of cards, examine them all without disordering them, make a choice, and maybe even shuffle the discard pile. Remember, "card that cantrips and involves a decision for each player" is why Spy was removed. This isn't technically an Attack, but it's the same principle.

Gazbag

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: December 19, 2019, 03:41:56 pm »
+1

Please do
If I were to try, I can explain the top half, they journey far to see the baby Jesus(Journey token), then they present gifts of Gold and Spices (I assume Coffers has something to do with Spices, not too familiar with the card), but I don't see the thematic explanation behind the optional Minion-like effect.

Yeah you got it, the coffers are supposed to be the frankincense and myrrh. It isn't a Minion effect, it's a Guide effect because they were guided by a star... it's a bit of a stretch.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.