Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546875 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4125 on: November 22, 2019, 03:26:03 pm »

I mean the issue is if one person has Goons and is playing it with Sleepwalker every turn and the other person can't get to $6 to even get a Goons in the first place.

But honestly I think there are attacks that are more degenerate than Goons to be playing every turn, such as Mountebank or the Knights. While I don't think those games would necessarily be unbalanced they would probably not be very fun.
I guess that is true. 
"Non-attack" seems like an inelegant restriction, I don't want it to be the right answer, but it might be.
"costing less than $5" would fix a lot of these problems but then it's just Sage that can hit a Poor House.

Another option would be "cards whose only type is Action", although that disqualifies a few more than just "non-attack".

I think "non-attack" is the right way to go with this.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: November 22, 2019, 04:13:18 pm »
+1

It's no more inelegant than saying Captain and Procession can't play Duration cards :P

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: November 22, 2019, 05:45:47 pm »
+1

Gang
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+3 Cards. You may play an Initiate card from your hand.
Setup: Choose a different random Action Supply pile. Cards from that pile are Initiate cards.
Notes: Gang can't choose itself. If it is the only Action Supply pile, it fails to choose one.

Conditional super Laboratory variant. Compare to Stables, which has you discard a much more common Treasure card, this lets you chain into a specific card.  It's only "non-terminal" if it chooses a non-terminal card, though.  When it chooses a cheap card you can possibly rely on it.  If it chooses a big $5+ card, it will be harder to proc, so maybe would be better at +2 Cards costed $3.  I don't know that I like how much +2 Cards tastes like Cultist.  What do you think?
A Smithy that can be a DoubleLab is too strong. I suggest: Discard a card. If it is an Initiate card, play it.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: November 22, 2019, 05:55:17 pm »

Fish Market
$4 - Action - Duration
Now and at start of your next turn:
+$1, +1 Buy
-
While this is in play, when you buy a Bait card first time during the turn, gain a non-Victory card costing up to $5.
-
Setup: Choose a random Kingdom cards pile. These cards are Bait.

(old version:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 08:44:12 pm by grep »

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: November 22, 2019, 11:08:08 pm »
+3

Fan Creation
Type: ?
Cost: ?

Set up:
Choose a kingdom card from Weekly Design Contest Thread. This is that card until the game ends.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:52:38 pm by artless »

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: November 23, 2019, 06:06:19 am »

Good or Evil.  Action-Attack

Choose one : +1 Action or +1 Card or +$1 +1 Buy
Choose one effect of one of Temptation mat Attack : the attack or the benefit.
-
Set up : 2 random Attacks build the Temptation mat
-
This costs the same price as the most expensive Attack in Temptation

Of course, with Torturer this is seems a mega-card, and with Oracle less !
But this is the goal of this Contest isn't it ?

My first idea was with only one Attack, or « 1 or 2 ». I finally decided for two, for more fun and strategy. But…

Variable cost : I know that it is not in the « tradition » of Dominion but it seems to me necessary here.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: November 23, 2019, 07:04:24 am »

Fan's Creation

Set up:
Choose a kingdom card from Weekly Design Contest Thread. This is that card until the game ends.

This is so unbalanced I don't know where to begin!

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: November 23, 2019, 07:05:06 am »

Of course, with Torturer this is seems a mega-card, and with Oracle less !
But this is the goal of this Contest isn't it ?
Torturer is a DoubleLab and broken at any price. Oracle in combination with this is better than Lab so even if there is a $5 Attack on the map it would be underpriced.

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: November 23, 2019, 07:24:22 am »
+2

Fan's Creation

Set up:

This is so unbalanced I don't know where to begin!

Balanced version:
Choose a balanced kingdom card from Weekly Design Contest Thread. This is that card until the game ends.
(If you can't choose a balanced card, it's your own fault)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: November 23, 2019, 08:09:23 am »

-
-

My first idea was with only one Attack, or « 1 or 2 ». I finally decided for two, for more fun and strategy. But…

Variable cost : I know that it is not in the « tradition » of Dominion but it seems to me necessary here.

So, for example, I choose Swindler's trash effect, then each other player trashes the top of their deck, then they don't gain anything, as I have to choose "one effect", right? I mean, what is "one effect", each command, each sentence, each paragraph, or each on-play effect?

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: November 23, 2019, 09:24:54 am »
+4

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: November 23, 2019, 09:28:01 am »

-
-

My first idea was with only one Attack, or « 1 or 2 ». I finally decided for two, for more fun and strategy. But…

Variable cost : I know that it is not in the « tradition » of Dominion but it seems to me necessary here.

So, for example, I choose Swindler's trash effect, then each other player trashes the top of their deck, then they don't gain anything, as I have to choose "one effect", right? I mean, what is "one effect", each command, each sentence, each paragraph, or each on-play effect?
Swindler's benefit is the +$2, Swindler's attack is the trashing attack. Benefit impacts you, attack effects the other players.

I think that this very seperation idea is pretty neat, but the anti-terminalizing breaks the card.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: November 23, 2019, 11:04:55 am »

the / is confusing. I think you mean the total number of dvictory and treasure cards supply piles. I said supply piles because castles has so many differently named victory cards.
But what about treasure-victory cards, do they count twice? You’d have to explicitly clarify say so “this card costs 1 more for every treasure and/or victory supply pile”
Or “this costs 1 for every treasure and/or victory card visible in the supply” which has the neat affect of it costing less when a pile runs out

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: November 23, 2019, 11:43:18 am »

the / is confusing.
True that, "and" would be more precise but there are formatting issues with too much text.

I think you mean the total number of dvictory and treasure cards supply piles. I said supply piles because castles has so many differently named victory cards.
No, I don't. I first wanted to condition it on piles but this becomes bonkers with Castles.

But what about treasure-victory cards, do they count twice?
No, because Harem is not named different from Harem.

Or “this costs 1 for every treasure and/or victory card visible in the supply” which has the neat affect of it costing less when a pile runs out
Again, overpowered with Castles. Also, I don't want this to merely cost $6 in a Kingdom with Encampment in which every player is virtually guaranteed to get at least one copy of Plunder.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: November 23, 2019, 06:51:17 pm »
+1

-
-

Swindler's benefit is the +$2, Swindler's attack is the trashing attack. Benefit impacts you, attack effects the other players.

I think that this very seperation idea is pretty neat, but the anti-terminalizing breaks the card.

So, if I play Jester, do I count "I or she gains" effect as which? Benefit? or Attack?

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: November 23, 2019, 07:55:51 pm »

So, if I play Jester, do I count "I or she gains" effect as which? Benefit? or Attack?
For Jester, obviously, $2 is the benefit, and the rest of the text is attack. Benefit is what you get when all the opponents are Moat'ed, attack is the rest. For example, Sea Hag has no benefit at all, and Familiar's benefit is just cycling

Freddy10

• Thief
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: November 23, 2019, 08:15:36 pm »

For Jester, obviously, $2 is the benefit, and the rest of the text is attack. Benefit is what you get when all the opponents are Moat'ed, attack is the rest. For example, Sea Hag has no benefit at all, and Familiar's benefit is just cycling

I think it has a lot of cases where is not so obvious: thief (the benefit and attack is the same), replace, pillage (the "trash this" is benefit?)
Who trashes the trashers?

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: November 24, 2019, 12:47:17 am »

I think it has a lot of cases where is not so obvious: thief (the benefit and attack is the same), replace, pillage (the "trash this" is benefit?)

The defense criterion is quite obvious.
Thief - no benefit apart from attack. Replace - everything works except cursing. Pillage - everything works except discarding.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: November 24, 2019, 03:17:59 am »
+1

With a Cozener you can get access to some services you wouldn't have access to otherwise. Similar to Black Market, but different, in that the Event you bought will still be available for other players to buy.

Cozener, Action, $3
+$2. You may discard one of the Cozen events and draw a new one from the Event deck. (Shuffle discards if the deck is empty.) Play any number of Treasures from your hand. You may buy one of the Cozen events, even if you have Debt tokens.

Setup: Make a deck of unused Events, not following setup instructions. Turn over two initial Cozen events from that deck.

I have now playtested Cozener, and it was fun! Often several tokens came into play, sometimes in an asymmetric way because we hurried to remove access to a token moving event to the other player.

During playtest I changed it to the quoted version (and I have edited the original post).

There are two major changes:

You get to exchange one Cozen event before you play Treasures

There are situations where you may want to play Treasures first, for example a Venture to know if you can afford an expensive Event before you decide if you want to discard it. But more often you want to know what you want to buy before you play your Treasures, so it just seemed natural to do it in this order instead.

Now you can buy a Cozen event even if you are in Debt

As with BM not being able to pay off Debt can be irritating, and since many events have Debt costs it's so easy to get into Debt during your Action phase if you are playing multiple Cozeners so I wanted to do something about it. I considered letting Cozener actually have an extra Buy Phase instead of doing this the BM way, but I'm happy I thought of this solution instead, which sometimes has interesting consequences.

And two minor:
  • Now it doesn't explicitly say that you should use all unused Events for the deck, but is less specific (like Black Market):
    I still recommend putting all your unused Events there.
  • Discard instead of putting cards at bottom:
    This is just a practical change – when playing with a full Cozen deck we were never close to using all of it anyway. So by not having to put cards at the bottom of that deck we could just put new Cozen cards over the discarded ones and didn't need to keep track of their order.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: November 24, 2019, 03:24:29 am »
+4

Wouldn't using Moat's logic work better for Good or Evil?
"Play the attack leaving it there, blah blah blah, but choose one: it can't affect other players, or it can't affect you"

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4145 on: November 24, 2019, 06:46:46 am »
+1

How much does Good or Evil cost when there's a Mountebank and a Familiar on the mat?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: November 24, 2019, 11:55:03 pm »

[...]
Full feedback to come later
?
First: thanks to NoMoreFun that he has judged out of band. Nevertheless it is disappointing that there is no feedback. :(
ciao herw

nemryn

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: November 25, 2019, 02:33:37 am »
+3

Travelling Players $4
Action
Refer to the noted results. For each time you rolled a...
1, +1 Card
2, +1 Action
3, +$1
4, +1 Buy
5, +1 VP
6, You may trash a card from your hand
---------------
Setup: Roll three six-sided dice and note the results.

An attempt to make a card that varies based on something other than mucking around with piles. There's tracking issues, and also cost issues, but hey, maybe it's okay to get a cheap Laboratory every 216 or so games.

Edit: name changed from Traveling Fair
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 01:48:53 pm by nemryn »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: November 25, 2019, 02:58:18 am »

Traveling Fair $4
Action
Refer to the noted results. For each time you rolled a...
1, +1 Card
2, +1 Action
3, +$1
4, +1 Buy
5, +1 VP
6, You may trash a card from your hand
---------------
Setup: Roll three six-sided dice and note the results.

An attempt to make a card that varies based on something other than mucking around with piles. There's tracking issues, and also cost issues, but hey, maybe it's okay to get a cheap Laboratory every 216 or so games.

The name Travelling Fair is already taken by an Event.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #4149 on: November 25, 2019, 09:06:20 am »
+1

Fan Creation

Set up:

I like the recursive case for this, where Fan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation isFan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation isFan Creation is Fan Creation is Fan Creation is...

It's not often we get an infinite loop during setup.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.