Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1541954 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #51: Curse card
« Reply #4025 on: November 13, 2019, 10:21:17 am »
+1

It's a stretch, but:

There are 20 of these.

Whenever you gain a Curse, you can get one of these instead, a falcon to chase the crows away. You effectively change attacks from a Curse to a discarding one to get it, so the attack still hurts. Falcon is a weak but not insignificant card that you'll want over a Curse often, but getting too many like this will be a bad thing. One can still spam Curse attacks if they wish, but the junking and the -VP are mitigated a little. You could also buy this for $0 and 2 discarded cards, and this is why I costed it $2 whilst it's probably $1 strong, to make this a more distinct feature and to be a bit better with trash-for-benefit.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +441
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #4026 on: November 13, 2019, 10:40:46 am »

Confession
$5 - Event
Gain an Indulgence from its pile. If you did, return any number of Curses from your hand and discard pile to the supply.

Indulgence
$0* - Curse - Reaction
-1 VP
When you gain a Curse, you may discard this to trash it.
(This is not in the supply. There is one Indulgence per player in its pile)

Rule clarification: As Indulgence is not in the supply, you won't return it.

herw

• Golem
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: November 13, 2019, 11:44:37 am »
+1

[...]

Dark Path
Types: Action - Curse - Traveller
cost : $0
-2 VP

+1 Action

When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a jungle.

Jungle
Types: Treasure - Traveller
cost: $3*
-2 VP

$3

When you discard this from play, you
may exchange it for a Crossroad.
(This is not in the Supply.)

Crossroad
cost: 4*
-3 VP

$4
+1 Buy

may exchange it for a Loophole.

Loophole
cost $5*
-4 VP

$5

may exchange it for a Breath.

Breath
Types: Treasure - Victory
cost: 6*
2 VP

$6
Trash this.

(This is not in the supply)

This is a super cool idea but i've got a couple reservations about it -
thanks - Before i answer: i am a non native speaker, so maybe i misunderstand some comments; so be patient.
  • Should it really jump to gold right away? Especially with Dark Path being non-terminal, all you've really got to do is not dead draw it from a smithy or something to be able to get a Jungle, which is an upgrade in every way; You may want to consider having them be $2 -> $2 +1 Buy -> $3 -> $4 Trash this Return this to the supply, which would make them a little more even-keeled (ie, if you wanted to play with the biggest money, you wouldn't just buy curses right away)
the original Dark Path was a Treasure-Traveller-card with [cost $2, $2 -1VP], means a terminal card. So perhaps it is too provocative to give nothing only change to jungle?
The idea of this traveller line is humans gear to money ;) .
So the goal is to go the whole line from Dark Path to Breath. It is interesting that at the end you can decide wether you want the $6 and loose +2VP or you want only +2 VP.
The main thing is, that you ignore the -x VP-line in middle game and hope at the end to change from loophole to breath.
I have tested some games with it and it is not simple to win, because the longer the game lasts the improbable is, to get one of the traveller.
  • How many of each card should there be in a two, three, ... , six player game?
As it is a normal traveller line there are always 10 cards of Dark Path and 5 for each other.
  • You've got a naming conflict (Crossroads exists) and a typo in the card for Crossroad (on its exchange line) - if you need a new forest-y name, maybe "Thicket" or "Copse"?
thanks -yes i remembered something, but i used the wrong search („crossroad” instead of „crossroads”). I will think about a new name.
In german i call it „Scheideweg”, originally it was „decision”. „Branch” would be an alternative.
  • Likewise, i think there's a translation issue with "Loophole" and "Breath" - the physical phenomenon of a loophole as opposed to the conceptual phenomenon, which is usually for legal/rules-related things is a man-made thing (like an arrow slit in a tower) rather than something that exists in a forest; I'd suggest "Grove" and "Glade", respectively for what I think you're getting at with those.
The idea of naming is meant more figuratively. So the picture of a real forest way is only a picture but the sense is like in star wars ;) (way to the dark side of the force).

Thanks for clarifying and questions. Creating such a path is provocative but worth to try.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:47:18 am by herw »

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: November 13, 2019, 11:48:09 am »
+1

I think Abel_K gets the honors of being the judge then, since they were runner up?

I missed that, sorry.

Thank you very much... but no thank you ! I don't feel able to judge this contest for the moment, especially with a subject that I didn't choose (even if it's really interesting !) : I have not enough experience and knowledge to do this well.
And, agravating circumstance (is that really english??) , as you can see, I am not a very good english locutor : I would perhaps have difficulties to translate what I think (and sometimes what I read !!!)

So, really sorry, but find someone else : there are plenty of members that have a good analytic spirit to do that very well !

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: November 13, 2019, 12:17:13 pm »
+1

Yikes.

I guess I should pick someone for third place?

FlyerBeast

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: FlyerBeast
  • Wide and Torturous
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: November 13, 2019, 12:18:01 pm »
+1

Rotten Egg Basket
$3 Curse-Reaction
---
-3 VP
-
When you would gain a Curse, you may gain this instead. If you do, reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 cards named Curse. Return the revealed Curses to the Supply and discard the rest.
Is it supposed to be -3VP or -4VP? the image and description don't match.

Oh, oops. Definitely -4VP, so it's worse to have than three curses.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: November 13, 2019, 12:22:32 pm »
+2

Okay, uh, third place goes to Farm Cellar by NoMoreFun. If they also don't want to judge, I guess we can just allow anyone who wants to to volunteer?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: November 13, 2019, 09:16:51 pm »
+2

Okay, uh, third place goes to Farm Cellar by NoMoreFun. If they also don't want to judge, I guess we can just allow anyone who wants to to volunteer?

I'll judge, no worries (I was having trouble coming up with a card for this round anyway)

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: November 14, 2019, 02:41:46 am »
+2

This may not be valid for this contest, but I’ll throw it in anyway...

Faustian Pact (Event, $6)

Once per game: set aside a non-Duration Action card costing up to $4 from the supply. Move your Devil token to it. All of your curses gain the types and abilities of that card. In addition, each of your curses is now worth -2VP at the end of the game.

Not sure how balanced this is, but it certainly makes things interesting...

herw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: November 14, 2019, 05:56:01 am »
+1

[...]

[...]
    Breath
    2 VP

$6
    Trash this.

• [...] You may want to consider having them be $2 -> $2 +1 Buy -> $3 -> $4 Trash this Return this to the supply, which would make them a little more even-keeled (ie, if you wanted to play with the biggest money, you wouldn't just buy curses right away)
    [...]
    [/list]
    The instruction of breathtrash this” is very important here, means it follows the main idea to give the player a decision. If you don't play it it is only an estate. If you play it you loose 2 VP but you have a one-shot-gold; maybe you need it in your last turn?
    BTW the name in German is Lebenshauch which is dfficult to translate in English, maybe soul?
    An Alternative are expressions like „Odem” or „Brodem” which are old expressions. But again it is difficult to translate.
    « Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 05:59:16 am by herw »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
    • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
    • Respect: +1349
      • View Profile
      • my instagram, where i paint things
    « Reply #4035 on: November 14, 2019, 06:41:02 am »

[...]

[...]
      Breath
      2 VP

$6
      Trash this.

• [...] You may want to consider having them be $2 -> $2 +1 Buy -> $3 -> $4 Trash this Return this to the supply, which would make them a little more even-keeled (ie, if you wanted to play with the biggest money, you wouldn't just buy curses right away)
      [...]
      [/list]
      The instruction of breathtrash this” is very important here, means it follows the main idea to give the player a decision. If you don't play it it is only an estate. If you play it you loose 2 VP but you have a one-shot-gold; maybe you need it in your last turn?
      BTW the name in German is Lebenshauch which is dfficult to translate in English, maybe soul?
      An Alternative are expressions like „Odem” or „Brodem” which are old expressions. But again it is difficult to translate.

Yeah, i was thinking more that since it's not in the supply anyway (so you can't just buy them) that it might be better to handle the one-shot like Madman; do it the trashing way, the first five players to do the traveller line get a Breath and everyone else is out of luck. Do it the return-to-supply way (or even "exhange this for a Dark Path"?) and they cycle through/no one gets hosed by someone else's lucky shuffle.

herw

• Golem
        • View Profile
      « Reply #4036 on: November 14, 2019, 08:00:31 am »
      +1

[...]

[...]
        Breath
        2 VP

$6
        Trash this.

[...]
        [/list]

Yeah, i was thinking more that since it's not in the supply anyway (so you can't just buy them) that it might be better to handle the one-shot like Madman; do it the trashing way, the first five players to do the traveller line get a Breath and everyone else is out of luck. Do it the return-to-supply way (or even "exhange this for a Dark Path"?) and they cycle through/no one gets hosed by someone else's lucky shuffle.
        ah yes thanks. I forgot about trashing and return to supply. On the other hand normal traveller's end is always gone for other players. So the last five end-cards are gone - it is normal behaviour for traveller-lines (with one exception  ;) )
        « Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:49:40 am by herw »

segura

• Torturer
        • Respect: +1413
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4037 on: November 14, 2019, 01:18:19 pm »

I like the Travellers as they change the simple linear (the earlier and the more the better) junking thing to something more complex for the junker as well as the junkee.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
        • I have no +Buys :(
        • Respect: +162
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4038 on: November 14, 2019, 03:35:16 pm »

Hang on... since I'm not judging, can I make a submission? Or am I forbidden because I made the Challenge?
        Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

spineflu

• Saboteur
        • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
        • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
        • Respect: +1349
          • View Profile
          • my instagram, where i paint things
        « Reply #4039 on: November 14, 2019, 03:53:42 pm »

Once per game: set aside a non-Duration Action card costing up to $4 from the supply. Move your Devil token to it. All of your curses gain the types and abilities of that card. In addition, each of your curses is now worth -2VP at the end of the game.

Subtle note I like about this - it uses the pre-errata Inheritance wording so you can turn your curses into Feasts/Embargos/other one-shots and they can then autotrash themselves. Very cool.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
        • Respect: +15
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4040 on: November 15, 2019, 01:27:43 am »

Originally thought about doing a Coppersmith variant affecting all of the Base Treasures, but decided to go with a Bridge variant instead.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
        • Respect: +15
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4041 on: November 15, 2019, 01:59:58 am »
        +1

Subtle note I like about this - it uses the pre-errata Inheritance wording so you can turn your curses into Feasts/Embargos/other one-shots and they can then autotrash themselves. Very cool.

I like it too, though I must ask mandioca why he wants the card set aside rather than just have the player place their Devil token on a card in the Supply? Add some suspense for this deal with the Devil.

Oh and Mandioca, here's an art suggestion if you like it, though it'll need editing for an Event - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/8c/9b/8f8c9b6b4d42b11f2c5a8a065983c4b8.jpg

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
        • Respect: +2107
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4042 on: November 15, 2019, 04:59:59 am »
        +2

Hang on... since I'm not judging, can I make a submission? Or am I forbidden because I made the Challenge?

Go ahead. It doesn't seem like you came up with the challenge because you thought only you could win it. The more ideas the better I say.

segura

• Torturer
        • Respect: +1413
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4043 on: November 15, 2019, 09:32:03 am »
        +1

This is better than in Inheritance in 3 ways: cheaper, good when Cursers are in the Kingdom, Curses are cheaper than Estates. It is worse in 2 ways: you don't start your deck with Curses and it is a VP spread of 3.
        Perhaps this could get away without the -2VP? Hard to say. But definitely the coolest Inheritance variant I have seen. 8)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
        • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
        • (´。• ω •。`)
        • Respect: +12839
          • View Profile
          • Birds of Necama
        « Reply #4044 on: November 15, 2019, 12:35:02 pm »
        +2

Originally thought about doing a Coppersmith variant affecting all of the Base Treasures, but decided to go with a Bridge variant instead.

This could give -30 VP and still be overpowered.
        Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
        • Respect: +414
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4045 on: November 15, 2019, 06:10:31 pm »

UPDATE: I retract my old nomination for Cheat and instead go for this:

This Village is free and gives a +Buy; how awesome! However, slavery is very very evil and having too many of those can be very harmful for your VP count. 1 slave means -1 VP, 2 slaves means -4 VP, 3 slaves means -9 VP and so on.
        « Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:31:19 am by grrgrrgrr »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
        • I have no +Buys :(
        • Respect: +162
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4046 on: November 15, 2019, 06:16:13 pm »

Go ahead. It doesn't seem like you came up with the challenge because you thought only you could win it. The more ideas the better I say.
        Yaaaaaaaaay!

Charlatan
        $5
        Action-Curse
        You may set this aside. If you do, gain 2 cards each costing up to $4.
        -------
        -2VP
        Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4047 on: November 15, 2019, 09:12:49 pm »

Yikes, this is really close to an idea I wrote down but didn't make an image for yet.

To be honest though I wasn't a huge fan of it so I don't feel bad about doing something different :P

popsofctown

• Adventurer
        • Respect: +2860
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4048 on: November 15, 2019, 10:14:29 pm »

Cheat is pretty similar to Ferry, so it probably plays out pretty well. 

majiponi

• Jester
        • Respect: +734
          • View Profile
        « Reply #4049 on: November 16, 2019, 10:00:20 am »

This card image seems like a cheato, which is used in Banjo Tooie...
        Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.