Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546228 times)

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3975 on: November 06, 2019, 09:42:21 am »

Not sure if this qualifies of strictly better than Hunting Grounds

Cavern is strictly better than Hunting Grounds and costs less. Cavern has to cost at least .

This also seems to be a case where "reveal" isn't strictly necessary, since you have the option to not discard.

Revealing is necessary in this case. You can hide your Victories under your Copper. (Others cannot see non-top cards in your players' discard pile, so they cannot know whether you are honest.) Relying on players' bushido is not a good design.

True, relying on other players is not good design, it just seemed that the revealing while discarding, when the discard type is conditional, is implied. There are official cards that conditionally discard without specifically stating "reveal":

Opulent Castle
Discard any number of Victory cards. +$2 per card discarded. 3 VP

Quest
You may discard an Attack, two Curses, or six cards. If you do, gain a Gold.
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: November 06, 2019, 09:45:30 am »
+1

Convulsion of Nature
Project - $2
For the rest of the game, flip your deck upside-down and play with it that way.

FAQ question: since you are allowed to count your deck, are allowed to see what all the cards are? Or does counting need to be done without looking?
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

DEGwer

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: DEGwer
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: November 06, 2019, 09:52:10 am »

My entry:

My idea is designing an on-buy Island, though putting starting Estates or late-game Provinces does not provide another 2VP.

This event has various usage. We can use it simply as Estate (or Hovel) trasher keeping VP, even on our first turn. We can keep consistency of deck with $12, 2 buys and it makes easier to even building a golden deck. On the supply with Curser, it can be a another source of VP. Gaining a Curse by Haggler or Stonemason can be reasonable playing.

I considered several version of bonus. Since I like tricky things, it is intentional to make a Curse into something which is sometimes better than an Estate.
Giving 4VP is too strong against Duchy (and I wanted to give $4 cost to make it possible to buy it at the first turn), thus it gives 3VP.

DEGwer

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: November 06, 2019, 10:28:26 am »

I won't disqualify cards that use "reveal" when they could use "look at," though I may take it into account.

Also, Cavern isn't strictly better than Hunting Grounds because Hunting Grounds has the on-trash ability.

It is, however, strictly better on play, and you don't exactly buy Hunting Grounds for its on-trash ability like you do for Fortress.
Once I did it on the Supply with Groundskeeper and no +Buy.  Although it is very rare case, theoretically it can be a reason to keep Cavern $6.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3979 on: November 06, 2019, 10:29:44 am »

My entry:

My idea is designing an on-buy Island, though putting starting Estates or late-game Provinces does not provide another 2VP.

This event has various usage. We can use it simply as Estate (or Hovel) trasher keeping VP, even on our first turn. We can keep consistency of deck with $12, 2 buys and it makes easier to even building a golden deck. On the supply with Curser, it can be a another source of VP. Gaining a Curse by Haggler or Stonemason can be reasonable playing.

I considered several version of bonus. Since I like tricky things, it is intentional to make a Curse into something which is sometimes better than an Estate.
Giving 4VP is too strong against Duchy (and I wanted to give $4 cost to make it possible to buy it at the first turn), thus it gives 3VP.
1: this still hits Night cards
2: this is approaching Remodel levels of "too good" as an anti-junker
3: given that you can net 2VP when you Drift a Curse, this may discourage using cursers at all  in games where it's present. It may even encourage people buying Curses with extra buys to try to Drift them in future turns.

DEGwer

• Chancellor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: November 06, 2019, 10:40:45 am »
+1

My entry:

1: this still hits Night cards
2: this is approaching Remodel levels of "too good" as an anti-junker
3: given that you can net 2VP when you Drift a Curse, this may discourage using cursers at all  in games where it's present. It may even encourage people buying Curses with extra buys to try to Drift them in future turns.
Oh, I completely forgot about Night cards. I'll fix it. Although I don't buy Ill-Gotten Gains when Drift exists, I don't consider to ignore Witch.
Maybe it is better to make it Night card.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 10:46:11 am by DEGwer »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: November 06, 2019, 10:41:10 am »
+2

This has the design flaw of generating VP without bringing the game closer to its end. There can come a point where everyone has well-made florist decks and there's less than 6 points between them, and the best play is to keep running the deck through to get VP because nobody can run the risk of the last Province deciding the winner. A never-ending situation.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: November 06, 2019, 10:48:26 am »

Convulsion of Nature
Project - $2

FAQ question: since you are allowed to count your deck, are allowed to see what all the cards are? Or does counting need to be done without looking?

followup: does shuffling need to be done without looking?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: November 06, 2019, 10:55:52 am »
+1

Convulsion of Nature
Project - $2

followup: does shuffling need to be done without looking?

Either yes, or you are allowed to specifically order your deck as you want each time you shuffle. There can't really be a middle ground there.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: November 06, 2019, 01:36:27 pm »

Thanks for the feedback on Cavern, it seems like it would have to cost $7 compared to hunting grounds but it doesn't seem like a good $7 cost. Here's a revised version that has somewhat the same idea (and requires revealing instead of looking at):

Question: Should it reveal 4 or 3? I feel like it compares favorably to Envoy/Advisor even with revealing only 3.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: November 06, 2019, 02:32:26 pm »

This has the design flaw of generating VP without bringing the game closer to its end. There can come a point where everyone has well-made florist decks and there's less than 6 points between them, and the best play is to keep running the deck through to get VP because nobody can run the risk of the last Province deciding the winner. A never-ending situation.
I don't disagree but I think we have to specify the very situation in which this can only arise: a deck drawing engine with a sifter like Cellar, Warehouse or Dungeon.

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: November 06, 2019, 03:03:06 pm »
+2

Thanks for the feedback on Cavern, it seems like it would have to cost $7 compared to hunting grounds but it doesn't seem like a good $7 cost. Here's a revised version that has somewhat the same idea (and requires revealing instead of looking at):

Question: Should it reveal 4 or 3? I feel like it compares favorably to Envoy/Advisor even with revealing only 3.

I think it is pretty weak at 3. If you haven't trashed your coppers yet, it's roughly +3 cards, discard a copper which is worse than smithy. Even if you have trashed down to a lean engine, it probably discards a $3 cost, being about as good as +2 cards, +$1, still worse than smithy.

At reveal 4 it seems good. +4 cards discard a copper seems like a fine $5, and +3 cards +$1 is a fairly strong $5.

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: November 06, 2019, 09:44:25 pm »
+1

Impressment
$4 - Action
Reveal the top 2 cards from your deck. Play the revealed Action cards in any order and discard the rest.
If you haven't revealed any Action card, gain a card costing up to $4.

A mixup of Throne Room and Workshop with a hint of Golem/Ghost. Chainable.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: November 07, 2019, 05:21:14 am »
+1

Here's mine:

Sawmill
$3
+1 Action
Reveal the top card of your deck. Gain a card costing up to $4 that doesn't share a type with the revealed card. Put the revealed card into your hand.

So basically, it's a cantrip Workshop that loses some of its gaining power.
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: November 07, 2019, 09:40:35 am »

Impressment
$4 - Action
Reveal the top 2 cards from your deck. Play the revealed Action cards in any order and discard the rest.

This is too good.
Either it is a Workshop for $4 that cycles 2 cards. Slightly worse than Ironworks but still decent due to the cycling.
Or it is a cantrip Workshop with some cycling. That card would have to cost $5 and is probably a bit better than Cobbler.
Or it is a Lost City which is better than a $5.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3990 on: November 07, 2019, 10:39:54 am »
+1

Impressment
$4 - Action

This is too good.
Either it is a Workshop for $4 that cycles 2 cards. Slightly worse than Ironworks but still decent due to the cycling.
Or it is a cantrip Workshop with some cycling. That card would have to cost $5 and is probably a bit better than Cobbler.

I don't see the cantrip Workshop part. If it hits one Action card, it plays it and that's all it does. So if it's actually either Workshop+Cycling, Cantrip+Cycling, or Lost City. Lost City is by far the rarest option and you can't usually control which outcome you get, so I think Impressment is underpowered if anything because the Cantrip+Cycling effect is on par with Border Guard, if BG didn't have the artifacts.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: November 07, 2019, 10:51:35 am »

I don't disagree but I think we have to specify the very situation in which this can only arise: a deck drawing engine with a sifter like Cellar, Warehouse or Dungeon.
or shepherd, or count, or any other discard-for-benefit/discard-for-penalty card + draw

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: November 07, 2019, 12:53:48 pm »

Impressment
$4 - Action

This is too good.

I don't see the cantrip Workshop part. If it hits one Action card, it plays it and that's all it does. So if it's actually either Workshop+Cycling, Cantrip+Cycling, or Lost City. Lost City is by far the rarest option and you can't usually control which outcome you get, so I think Impressment is underpowered if anything because the Cantrip+Cycling effect is on par with Border Guard, if BG didn't have the artifacts.
Sorry, I misread. It is probably fine as it is but I don't think that it is underpowered. First, you use it was Workshop, then it becomes a weak sifter and then it sometimes becomes a Lost City.
Herald has a higher chance to hit in the later part of the game but while your Action density is low it does nothing whereas this card cycles/gains.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: November 07, 2019, 02:42:56 pm »
+1

I think it is pretty weak at 3. If you haven't trashed your coppers yet, it's roughly +3 cards, discard a copper which is worse than smithy. Even if you have trashed down to a lean engine, it probably discards a $3 cost, being about as good as +2 cards, +$1, still worse than smithy.

At reveal 4 it seems good. +4 cards discard a copper seems like a fine $5, and +3 cards +$1 is a fairly strong $5.

I think you're right. Then it's a decent Smithy+ for $5 Either it's +4 cards, discard a copper, or +3 cards, +$1, discard a $3, or +3 Cards, +$2, discard a key $5.

Here's the new card (OP will be updated too)

I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: November 07, 2019, 03:45:02 pm »
+5

Three-cards Monte. Costs $5
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck.
- If they are all different, discard them,  and + $3. The other players gain a Ruin
- If they are not, take in hand the similar cards. +1 Action

Some ideas :
- this card interacts with itself : if you're attacked and gain Ruins, you have more chances to get 3 different cards.
- you can try two strategies completely different : collecting various cards (1st effect) , or multiply buys of few cards , to take advantage of the second effect.

It seems to me balanced, but perhaps it is not at all !
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:21:12 pm by Abel_K »

TheAgileBeast

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: November 09, 2019, 01:59:00 am »
+3

Servants' Quarters
Landmark
When you gain a Province, name a card then reveal the top card of your deck. If you named it, +2VP.

If you have a nice clean organized deck that you know well, then your Provinces are worth a bit more. Seems fun. Mainly wanted to try to make a Landmark that reveals cards, since that feels weird.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:00:34 am by TheAgileBeast »

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: November 09, 2019, 05:46:44 am »

I like this a lot and think that it might be strategically more interesting if you do all Victory cards instead of Provinces.

artless

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: November 09, 2019, 09:50:35 am »
+1

Mad Scientist
$5 - Action
---
Reveal cards from your deck until two cards of same cost are revealed.
Put them into your hand.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:16:46 pm by artless »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: November 09, 2019, 01:53:54 pm »

Mad Scientist
$5 - Action
---
Choose one:
Reveal the top card of your deck. If its cost differs from other cards revealed by this, replay Mad Scientist. Otherwise, discard the revealed cards.
or
Put all cards revealed by this into your hand. +1 Action.

I believe a better wording exists but I have no idea. Any suggestions?
Looks much weaker than Lab - even with a carefully curated deck the situations when you want to draw the third card are rare. I suggest the third option "Trash all the revealed cards"

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: November 09, 2019, 05:13:58 pm »
+5

The Magpie effect as Project. Not as good as Piazza (which is the equivalent of +1 Card and +1 Action) but cheaper.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.