Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546747 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3925 on: October 29, 2019, 07:33:04 pm »
+1

Tinker
Types: Night
Cost: $5
Exchange a card from your hand for a card from the Supply costing up to $2 more than it.
Heirloom: Tin Snips
Tin Snips
Types: Treasure, Reaction, Heirloom
Cost: $3
$1
When you return a card to the Supply, you may discard this from your hand for +3 Coffers.
I do agree that Tinker needs to cost $5 (which you changed in the image but not the text): Remodel is very nearly too strong for $4, let alone Remodel-with-a-benefit (and being non-terminal is a huge benefit, even if it has to trigger during the Night phase).
Tin Snips is this huge source of +Coffers, but has so little to play with it except Tinker.  +3 Coffers is way too big for how frustrating it will be to align in the early game.  I'd much rather Tin Snips trigger off trashing for it to play nicer with more Kingdom cards.  Then it can give a more reasonable number of Coffers, and Tinker could trash instead of Exchange.
I mean if I did that I'd basically be making cards that already exist. The exchange-instead-of-trashing is The Whole Point of the card.
I did change Tin Snips to +2 Coffers tho, because +3 is too much - you hit that and a Swashbuckler? You've got your treasure chest in one go. Too much. But in the interest of having a game where you ignore Tinker and still use Tin Snips, I changed it to be a Silver instead of a Copper (and bumped the price up by one so we don't have to have Yet Another "Strictly Better" thread derailment on this board).
There isn't currently a non-terminal Remodel, nor a Remodel that ties into an Heirloom.  Exchanging is a fine idea for a Remodel variant, but it is not as though exchanging is the only unique part of Tinker.  It seems to just make Tin Snips virtually only proc on Tinker instead of having a host of triggers.  That reads odd to me, because I would think that Heirlooms should be designed to interact meaningfully with their Kingdom cards without being strictly defined by it.
Reducing Coffers to +2 is a major improvement to Tin Snips, especially with it giving +$2 on play: It massively reduces the frustration of missing as it goes from better $2 to worse $2.  I'm not sure I like the effect it has on the opening, as $5/$3 is probably pretty silly on most boards compared to $4/$4.

Rebuild exists (and is way too good but the nonterminality isn't the biggest issue there). Upgrade exists. Changeling is arguably also a nonterminal remodel variant, and I really like the idea of Night-Remodels exchanging rather than trashing.

As far as openings, its less drastic than Cursed Gold and on par with Baker (although you get to choose your opening w Baker).

I do have another possible entry along similar lines:

Bargain • $3 • Treasure - Night - Heirloom
If it's your Night Phase, you may exchange a card from your hand for a card from the Supply costing up to $3 that does not share a type with it. Otherwise, +$1.
Hub • $4 • Action
+1 Action
Choose a card type (Action, Treasure, etc). Cards of that type cost $1 less while this is in play.
Heirloom: Bargain
but I'm disinclined to have this be my entry because Commodore Chuckles has historically favored less wordy/keep-it-simple entries as winners.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 09:51:40 am by spineflu »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: October 29, 2019, 09:31:28 pm »
+2

CONTEST - HEIRLOOM ENTRY

Just some funky ideas that kind of help each other out.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: October 29, 2019, 09:35:53 pm »
+1

CONTEST - HEIRLOOM ENTRY

I like the Lute/Looter pun, if that was intentional.
i love it if it's unintentional

Are you worried that it'll mess with the opening at all? $2/$4 can be a rough start.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:36:54 pm by spineflu »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: October 29, 2019, 10:07:51 pm »
+2

CONTEST - HEIRLOOM ENTRY

Are you worried that it'll mess with the opening at all? $2/$4 can be a rough start.

Getting / in a Chapel game would really suck.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: October 29, 2019, 10:27:29 pm »
+1

CONTEST - HEIRLOOM ENTRY

I'm very worried it will mess with the opener! I believe Donald X tried an Heirloom that didn't give any $ and he said it was fine, but just slowed the game down. So maybe it works okay? I'm really not convinced though.

If you had a way to guarantee your opening split, I think $6 coin to start would be fine.

And no, the pun was not intentional. That is quite funny though. Good catch!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:31:38 pm by Kudasai »

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: October 29, 2019, 10:48:06 pm »
+1

Okay, I've been thinking, the benefit from activating Senator is a tad weak, as it gives you the same handsize as a Caravan play, and it doesn't stack. So, I have decided to buff it just a little. Hopefully this doesn't make it too good.
Senator
$4
Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
At the start of your next turn, if you have 4 or less cards in hand, +3 Cards.
Heirloom: Bonds
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: October 30, 2019, 08:53:39 am »
+1

CONTEST - HEIRLOOM ENTRY

I'm very worried it will mess with the opener! I believe Donald X tried an Heirloom that didn't give any $ and he said it was fine, but just slowed the game down. So maybe it works okay? I'm really not convinced though.

If you had a way to guarantee your opening split, I think $6 coin to start would be fine.

Yeah I'd be real worried about that slowdown with intentionally seeding your deck with ruins. Maybe adopt City wording?
Like a
$1
If there is one empty supply pile, +$2.
If there are two or more empty supply piles, +$5.
to maybe at least mitigate the opening. I realize that kinda hoses you on situations where you empty 4+ supply piles.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:57:11 am by spineflu »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: October 30, 2019, 10:33:41 am »
+2

CONTEST - HEIRLOOM ENTRY

Yeah I'd be real worried about that slowdown with intentionally seeding your deck with ruins. Maybe adopt City wording?
Like a
$1
If there is one empty supply pile, +$2.
If there are two or more empty supply piles, +$5.
to maybe at least mitigate the opening. I realize that kinda hoses you on situations where you empty 4+ supply piles.

What about "If there are no empty supply piles, +$1. Otherwise, +$3 per empty supply pile."?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: October 30, 2019, 11:08:35 am »
+1

@spineflu, hhelibebcnofnena:

These are both great wording choices for Lute and are certainly safer than what I'm trying to do. Which is have a starting card that starts at $0 and gets much better if you hold onto it. I just worry that if Lute gives $1 initially and scales later, holding onto it is a no-brainer.

I think Lute can work as-is, but it probably needs a cheap ($2-$3) cantrip as a counterpart to make it viable. Musician is anything but that. Any suggestions for a Musician change? Even a complete overhaul would be fun to discuss!

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: October 30, 2019, 11:23:29 am »
+2

This version of your submission is much better overall.  You are probably underselling Fur Trader's ability to discard your hand for a $5 gain early in the game.  Most Kingdoms I buy Fur Trader would probably be for that Reaction.  The key interaction between the two is probably using Pelt to trash a Silver and Fur trader to gain a $5 (functionally out of $4 in the form of Silver being trashed and a Fur Trader being discarded).  It still costs a Buy most of the time, so I wouldn't call it overpowered.  Fur Trader -> Workshop+ around draw is a fine idea, but playing Fur Trader is probably really bad. 
I recommend a slight buff by having Fur Trader "gain a card costing exactly $1 more per card discarded" so you can typically block Curses by discarding 1 card.  I might make Fur Trader gain 2 Silvers with no hand shenanigans so you can more easily align Pelt.

Thank you for your feedback. I decided to not do that buff for a few reasons. One, the card is pretty strong already it nearly guarantees being able to afford a $5 in all the cases that horse traders can. It doesn’t come with a +buy, but that power is non terminal, so, I don’t want to strengthen that power more. It can always turn curses into copper and if you discard two, curses into 2 costs. That’s strong enough defense. Also, I really like the exoticness of buying one card and gaining a cheaper card. Like buy a mint, reveal fur trader to instead gain a conspirator. And I think it’s a very rare but interesting interaction I wouldn’t want to remove. Plan, too! there’s other cool combos. It allows you to actually use contraband — player names a 5 cost you want? No problem, buy a gold and reveal a fur trader to instead gain that 5 cost. Etc

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: October 30, 2019, 11:31:06 am »
+1

@spineflu, hhelibebcnofnena:

These are both great wording choices for Lute and are certainly safer than what I'm trying to do. Which is have a starting card that starts at $0 and gets much better if you hold onto it. I just worry that if Lute gives $1 initially and scales later, holding onto it is a no-brainer.

I think Lute can work as-is, but it probably needs a cheap ($2-$3) cantrip as a counterpart to make it viable. Musician is anything but that. Any suggestions for a Musician change? Even a complete overhaul would be fun to discuss!

well
I'm thinking mainly on the ruins slowdown here
but you could have Musician look at the top two cards of the ruins pile, trash one and gain the other. Cuts into the number of cards in the ruins pile, empties it faster, makes sure you're getting the "good" ruins.

An alternate suggestion would be, on play, to discard any number of Ruins or Curses and draw a card (or two cards?) per, kind of a Shepherd for garbage. Thematically you can justify that as taking inspiration from tragedy, i guess.

As far as mitigating the opening, you could have musician, if it's the first card you buy on a turn, give +1 Buys which allows you to keep a $1/$5 opening but still get 2 new cards by turn 3.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 01:26:00 pm by spineflu »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: October 30, 2019, 12:24:20 pm »
+2

Gild
Types: Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a Gold.
Heirloom: Ingot
Ingot
Types: Treasure, Heirloom
$1. When you play this, if you have a Gold, Silver and Copper in play, you may trash this, to move your +$1 token to an Action Supply pile. (When you play a card from that pile, you first get +$1.)
I like Ingot a lot. I mostly worry that Gild will speed the game up too often that the +$1 token won't matter. I might take notes from Altar and make Gild cost $6.  It would be a weaker $6 for sure, but I worry it would be domineering as a $5 in how it doesn't increase your stop-density.  Comparisons to Mine are not warranted as this turns Coppers and even Estates into Gold, which is wildly better. Comparisons to Dismantle might make more sense, but not quite because Dismantle actually floods your deck when you're trashing Estates, so this remains wildly better than that official card too.  I think it is unique enough, but plays largely against Ingot.  I'm not sure how I'd feel better about it without complicating Gild's pure simplicity.
Thanks for kicking up the discussion! I thought about Altar and the $6 cost and I think it would lead to frustrating one-sided games more often and so the gameplay would be worse than a $5 cost. The change I would make is something like this:

What I'm thinking regarding Gild is that it isn't blatantly mispriced or unbalanced in its current form and I don't think you can really prove either way without playtesting so I'd rather keep the cleaner version for this contest and if Commodore disagrees with me I can live with that. But to expand a bit I think the main risk of Gild being too strong would be it  enabling boring money strategies, Ingot helps prevent this as it is both easier to trigger in, and gives more benefit to, the more exciting Action chaining decks.

I also realised Ingot had the wrong cost so I've edited it in the original post to cost $0.

Frolouch

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: October 30, 2019, 05:46:16 pm »

HEIRLOOM ENTRY
Here's my submission for a new heirloom. It's from my Small Hands expansion:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:49:25 pm by Frolouch »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: October 30, 2019, 08:10:23 pm »
+1

My second attempt

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: October 31, 2019, 01:57:21 am »
+1

Given that a non-terminal Silver is already a $3.5, I'd make Clergy terminal.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: October 31, 2019, 09:42:00 am »
+1

Gild
Types: Action
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a Gold.
Heirloom: Ingot
Ingot
Types: Treasure, Heirloom
$1. When you play this, if you have a Gold, Silver and Copper in play, you may trash this, to move your +$1 token to an Action Supply pile. (When you play a card from that pile, you first get +$1.)
I like Ingot a lot. I mostly worry that Gild will speed the game up too often that the +$1 token won't matter. I might take notes from Altar and make Gild cost $6.  It would be a weaker $6 for sure, but I worry it would be domineering as a $5 in how it doesn't increase your stop-density.  Comparisons to Mine are not warranted as this turns Coppers and even Estates into Gold, which is wildly better. Comparisons to Dismantle might make more sense, but not quite because Dismantle actually floods your deck when you're trashing Estates, so this remains wildly better than that official card too.  I think it is unique enough, but plays largely against Ingot.  I'm not sure how I'd feel better about it without complicating Gild's pure simplicity.
Thanks for kicking up the discussion! I thought about Altar and the $6 cost and I think it would lead to frustrating one-sided games more often and so the gameplay would be worse than a $5 cost. The change I would make is something like this:

What I'm thinking regarding Gild is that it isn't blatantly mispriced or unbalanced in its current form and I don't think you can really prove either way without playtesting so I'd rather keep the cleaner version for this contest and if Commodore disagrees with me I can live with that. But to expand a bit I think the main risk of Gild being too strong would be it  enabling boring money strategies, Ingot helps prevent this as it is both easier to trigger in, and gives more benefit to, the more exciting Action chaining decks.

I also realised Ingot had the wrong cost so I've edited it in the original post to cost $0.

This compares very favorably to bandit. I wonder if you could put the benefit other players on every play rather than just on gain? It’s a nice other player interaction.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: October 31, 2019, 11:23:42 am »
+8

Here's my submission this week: Plough, which adds in the Heirloom, Savings.  Plough is a Lost City variant which only gives +Actions when you have an odd number of cards in your hand, meaning it won't typically activate when it's the first card you play from a starting hand of 5 cards (because Ploughs work best if you use them in the right season).  Thankfully, it comes with Savings, a Copper that lets you Save a card from your hand for next turn (and thus providing the odd handsize for activating Plough).  Savings also can allow non-standard openings if you draw it turn one, can keep bad cards out of your shuffles, and you can always Save a dead Plough.  The downside of course is that you can only use Savings' ability (and economy) every other turn. 

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: October 31, 2019, 03:24:07 pm »

Here's my submission this week: Plough, which adds in the Heirloom, Savings.  Plough is a Lost City variant which only gives +Actions when you have an odd number of cards in your hand, meaning it won't typically activate when it's the first card you play from a starting hand of 5 cards (because Ploughs work best if you use them in the right season).  Thankfully, it comes with Savings, a Copper that lets you Save a card from your hand for next turn (and thus providing the odd handsize for activating Plough).  Savings also can allow non-standard openings if you draw it turn one, can keep bad cards out of your shuffles, and you can always Save a dead Plough.  The downside of course is that you can only use Savings' ability (and economy) every other turn.

I love these cards!!! I think that these would be ideal for a split pile as you would definitely buy savings (or a savings like card).
All of the heirlooms are cards that either need to be 1 copy of, or are much more interesting if you start with them. Pouch is a bit of a counter-example, though.

Savings doesn’t fit as an heirloom as well, but it’s such a cool card and plough is too.

One way you could make it more heirloomy is by forcing it to set aside, but that would suck if it turned a 2/5 into 2/4. Not sure a way around that. You could make it give +1 if you set aside a treasure? But then it’s less heirloomy. Hmmmm

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: October 31, 2019, 04:26:29 pm »
+3

One way you could make it more heirloomy is by forcing it to set aside, but that would suck if it turned a 2/5 into 2/4. Not sure a way around that.
Wouldn't you just play it last, with no cards in hand to set aside?

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: November 01, 2019, 01:51:04 am »

Plough/Savings
I suggest to rename "Savings" into "Seeds" for better thematicity

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3945 on: November 01, 2019, 02:43:27 am »
+2

I think the idea was that it was based off Save.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: November 01, 2019, 03:36:08 am »

One way you could make it more heirloomy is by forcing it to set aside, but that would suck if it turned a 2/5 into 2/4. Not sure a way around that.
Wouldn't you just play it last, with no cards in hand to set aside?
There is green, purple and unplayed white.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: November 01, 2019, 04:42:01 am »

This compares very favorably to bandit. I wonder if you could put the benefit other players on every play rather than just on gain? It’s a nice other player interaction.
I don't see how you could directly compare the trashing attack of Bandit with that trashing of Gild. Perhaps I am too stupid but I don't immediately see how one or the other are on average better. For example in a Kingdom with decent trashing, you don't need Gild's trashing and do perhaps prefer Bandit (as decks are thinner it also hits more often). If there is no thinning, you do perhaps prefer Gild.
The main issue I see is not the power level of Gild, that is fine even without the stuff underneath the line. But a money Kingdom card and an engine Heirloom that needs money to trigger and improve Actions are kind of antithetical.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: November 01, 2019, 07:47:09 am »
+1

I don't see how you could directly compare the trashing attack of Bandit with that trashing of Gild. Perhaps I am too stupid but I don't immediately see how one or the other are on average better. For example in a Kingdom with decent trashing, you don't need Gild's trashing and do perhaps prefer Bandit (as decks are thinner it also hits more often). If there is no thinning, you do perhaps prefer Gild.
The main issue I see is not the power level of Gild, that is fine even without the stuff underneath the line. But a money Kingdom card and an engine Heirloom that needs money to trigger and improve Actions are kind of antithetical.

I agree about Bandit, also Bandit is a pretty weak card anyway so something comparing favourably doesn't seem like an issue. The idea is that Gild gives a decent way to add Golds to your deck to help trigger Ingot but isn't an automatic target for the token. I think you don't want to build too much synergy into this kind of thing so it doesn't dominate games too much, the tension between Ingots requirement and payoff is intentional. If it was all engine benefiting stuff or all money stuff I think that would be a problem.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: November 01, 2019, 09:04:07 am »

I agree about Bandit, also Bandit is a pretty weak card anyway so something comparing favourably doesn't seem like an issue. The idea is that Gild gives a decent way to add Golds to your deck to help trigger Ingot but isn't an automatic target for the token. I think you don't want to build too much synergy into this kind of thing so it doesn't dominate games too much, the tension between Ingots requirement and payoff is intentional. If it was all engine benefiting stuff or all money stuff I think that would be a problem.
I don't dislike the use of Adventure tokens without the craziness of Adventure, on the contrary!
But here the two things simply overlap too much. We knwo that stuff from Soothsayer. You start the game, intend to play it engine-ish but then realize that all the Golds simply steer the game more towards money.
If Ingot would provide one of the other tokens it would be better IMO.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.