Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546198 times)

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3900 on: October 26, 2019, 12:02:04 pm »
+2

Galley
Types: Action
Cost: $4+
+2 Villagers. You may spend any number of Villagers for +1 Card each.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you have overpaid, +1 Villager.
Heirloom: Coffee
Coffee
Types: Treasure, Heirloom
Cost: $2
$1, +1 Villager
Coffee is fun, but I don't like Galley very much.  Another way to spend Villagers makes enough sense, but the benefit is so unpredictable that I suspect it will be frustrating.  More pressingly, it offers a way to easily accumulate large numbers of Villagers.  I think the fact that there isn't a very easy way to accumulate Villagers is an important design aspect in Renaissance (Recruiter requires you to trash valuable cards, Patron is a terminal Silver if you don't spend its single Villager immediately, and the rest are all on-gain and on-trash abilities.  Coffee plays nicely into the concept because it's a Copper and you can only have one of them.).
I agree, the overpay effect is too strong. I will moderate it in the new version.

Galley
$4 - Action
+2 Villagers
You may spend any number of Villagers for +1 Card each.
-
When you gain this, you may discard a Treasure card for +1 Villager.
Heirloom: Coffee

This version limits on gain benefit with just a single Villager, and enables fun interaction with workshops.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:06:47 pm by grep »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: October 26, 2019, 12:31:35 pm »
+1

I may as well have a go at this, even though my submission is basically guaranteed not to win. In the extremely rare event that I do win, I'd like to design the challenge, but let the runner up judge, since I am not at all good at that sort of thing. Without further ado;

Senator
$3
Action-Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, if you have 4 or less cards in hand, +2 Cards.
Heirloom: Bonds

Bonds
$2
Treasure-Heirloom
$2
When you play this, put your -1 Card token onto your deck.

The vast majority of the time, the only way to trigger Senator is to play it and Bonds in the same turn, and even when you do trigger it that way, the first +Card just gives you whatever you would have had without the -1 Card token, so Senator is effectively just a hard to trigger Caravan that doesn't stack. It's too weak compared to Caravan to cost . The problem with minus variants of cards that cost or less is that the difference between costs that low is almost negligible, so the difference has to be very small. The difference between Senator and Caravan is not small.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

DEGwer

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: DEGwer
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: October 26, 2019, 02:11:11 pm »
+1

Novelist
Cost: $5
+3 Cards. If you have a treasure in play, +$1 and +1 Buy.
Heirloom: Book
Book
Cost: $4
$1. You may choose one: Play an action card from your hand; or gain a Manuscript.
Manuscript: 16
Types: Treasure
Cost: $2*
$1. You may play an Action card from your hand.
(This is not in the Supply.)
I'd recommend Novelist state "if you have any Treasures in play" or "at least 1 Treasure in play" for clarity.  +$1 and +1 Buy should be swapped for standard bonus order.  Card types should be capitalized (Treasure on Novelist, Action on Book and Manuscript).  Book needs to specify that Manuscript comes "from its pile" or else you can't gain it unless Manuscript appears in the Supply.
I like this set.  Offering a way to increase the effect of the Heirloom by gaining Manuscripts is nice, though card intensive.
I think Novelist should cost $6, though.  Its benefit is a bit sideways, but +3 Cards and +1 Buy and +$1 is very strong--especially when the card necessitates a way to activate it is present in the Kingdom.

Fixed wording problems. Thank you for your suggestion. But I don't think Novelist should cost $6: Novelist seems to have similar strength as Swashbuckler. (+1 Coffer) and (+1 Buy and +1$) are judged as similar strength (as Market/Baker) and I cannot say that the bonus condition of (Swashbuckler / Novelist) are far harder to be satisfied against the other, even with the heirloom.

[TP] Inferno

• Golem
  • I have no +Buys :(
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: October 26, 2019, 04:32:14 pm »
+1

I'm not sure how much I like Bonds, considering I don't like messing with the opening so much.  However, Senator I really like conceptually.  A pseudo-defense Duration with a way to leverage it yourself in Bonds is super clever.  I would probably like Senator better if it gave some sort of benefit on its up-turn instead of being a cantrip: Maybe a $4 Peddler?  The Duration effect is quite nearly a draw-back, as there is not currently a way to reduce your hand-size at the start of your turn.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll change it to a $4 Peddler. To me, Bonds seems similar to a Turn 1 Borrow (which, incidentally, is another way to activate Senator), so I think it's fine.
The vast majority of the time, the only way to trigger Senator is to play it and Bonds in the same turn, and even when you do trigger it that way, the first +Card just gives you whatever you would have had without the -1 Card token, so Senator is effectively just a hard to trigger Caravan that doesn't stack. It's too weak compared to Caravan to cost . The problem with minus variants of cards that cost  or less is that the difference between costs that low is almost negligible, so the difference has to be very small. The difference between Senator and Caravan is not small.
Okay, good to hear. My idea was to somewhat alleviate the drawback of the Heirloom, and I thought that, hey, there are other ways, you could get Militia'd or something, but yeah, I need to buff it. Is a $4 Peddler fine?
Counting House is the best card in the game. Change my mind.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: October 26, 2019, 11:19:51 pm »
+1

@segura
@Fragasnap
@DEGwer

updated:

New take, menagerie but +Cards/+Actions flip, +1 Buy. Changed name to avoid thematic dissonance.

Still assists in playing several differently named Actions. I thought about changing part of it to a digger, but dropped it. I then thought about making the consolation bonus be more cards and an Action, but then it gets to be too overpowered. I want the Son to sometimes "succeed" and sometime "fail".

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: October 27, 2019, 07:02:21 am »
+1

A few editions ago, I posted the Mineworker, which was horribly wordy and broken. Here is the fixed version.

Mineworker (Action - Duration - Reaction; $5)

+1 Card
+1 Action
Now and at the start of your next turn: you may discard your hand for +5 Cards.

Before resolving the effect of a Duration at the start of your turn, you may reveal this. If you do, the effect will occur at the start of your next turn instead of this turn (the Duration will stay in play).

Mine Cart (Treasure - Heirloom - Reaction, $2)

$1
-
When you play a Duration, you may set this aside. If you do, at the start of your next turn, trash this. +2% per Duration you have in play.

Mineworker's reaction has to specify where it's being revealed from (I assume from your hand).

Thanks. Fixed it.
EDIT: forgot to mention I also made other modifications. See original entry.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 02:02:56 pm by grrgrrgrr »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: October 27, 2019, 07:15:33 am »
+1

@segura
@Fragasnap
@DEGwer

updated:

New take, menagerie but +Cards/+Actions flip, +1 Buy. Changed name to avoid thematic dissonance.

Still assists in playing several differently named Actions. I thought about changing part of it to a digger, but dropped it. I then thought about making the consolation bonus be more cards and an Action, but then it gets to be too overpowered. I want the Son to sometimes "succeed" and sometime "fail".

I think this is a huge improvement. However, you want the card to be drawn after the reveal of your hand, otherwise that one card can screw things up. So I'd do it this way.

+1 Action, +1 Buy

If the revealed cards all have different names, +1 Card, +2 Actions. Otherwise, +1 Card.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: October 27, 2019, 10:32:21 am »

THIS IS AN OLD ENTRY, see further down the thread for an updated submission
Contest #49: Make a Card with a Custom Heirloom

Fur Trader | Action - Reaction | $3
Gain a silver to your hand.
-
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. Discard any number of cards to instead gain a card costing up to $1 more per card discarded.
Heirloom: Pelt
Pelt | Treasure - Heirloom | $2
+$1

If you have a silver in play, you may trash this to gain a card costing exactly $3.

The clear idea here is the reaction in fur-trader. Everything else spiraled out from that. It's kind of like an upgrade, except you upgrade cards as you buy them. On the other hand, it's a little like a fusion of a vault/artisan. Yes, you get to discard the fur-trader if you want, so whenever you activate your pelt, if you still have your fur-trader in hand you can reveal and discard it to gain a card costing $4. It also allows you to turn curses you are attacked with into coppers, or, if you're willing to discard, even turn a curse into a helpful $2 action!

The part in the above is a fun idea we haven't seen in a while that I'm a little partial to. It also has synergy with itself (if you have two fur-traders in hand, play one and reveal the other to gain a not-silver instead!)

Pelt is useful and interesting regardless of whether you buy a fur-trader. A fur trader does incentivize you to wait a little bit to activate it, since you could gain a $4 or $5 cost if you have enough cards in your hand. Fur trader of course helps you activate the Pelt.

I'm open to feedback! I originally had +2 cards for the fur trader above-the-line benefit, but I changed it to make it a little more narrow.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 01:46:26 pm by anordinaryman »

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: October 27, 2019, 11:06:27 am »

Explorer is pretty weak, but Fur Trader still looks really strong when you compare it with Explorer.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: October 27, 2019, 11:35:03 am »

Explorer is pretty weak, but Fur Trader still looks really strong when you compare it with Explorer.

Hm, would you say the same about bureaucrat? Perhaps I should bump the price up to $4?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: October 27, 2019, 11:47:16 am »
+1

Fur Trader is strong enough to cost imo, regardless of comparing it to cards like Explorer. Also, nitpick: The word "Silver" should be capitalized in both cards.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: October 27, 2019, 12:04:36 pm »
+2

Gild gains Gold without bloating your deck to help activate Ingot, there's synergy but it's hopefully not too in your face. It's simple because Ingot is an Heirloom and uses an Adventures token so there's quite a lot going on there. It's supposed to be a classic Gold gainer with a bonus for $5, along the lines of Bandit or Courtier but trashing might be a little big of a bonus for a $5, especially alongside Ingot. I have ideas for a potential drawback but I thought I'd see what people think of the simpler version first. Ingot is trying to be a less over the top Magic Lamp sort of thing.

Edit: Ingot cost fixed to be $0.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 12:24:12 pm by Gazbag »

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: October 27, 2019, 12:16:45 pm »

Gild gains Gold without bloating your deck to help activate Ingot, there's synergy but it's hopefully not too in your face. It's simple because Ingot is an Heirloom and uses an Adventures token so there's quite a lot going on there. It's supposed to be a classic Gold gainer with a bonus for $5, along the lines of Bandit or Courtier but trashing might be a little big of a bonus for a $5, especially alongside Ingot. I have ideas for a potential drawback but I thought I'd see what people think of the simpler version first. Ingot is trying to be a less over the top Magic Lamp sort of thing.

Gild seems too good when compared to Mine, I think.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: October 27, 2019, 12:42:24 pm »
+1

Gild seems too good when compared to Mine, I think.

Mine is one of the weakest cards in the game so I wouldn't use it as a point of comparison myself.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: October 27, 2019, 12:59:38 pm »
+1

Hm, would you say the same about bureaucrat? Perhaps I should bump the price up to $4?
Bureaucrat gaining onto deck is weaker because it displaces another card in your next hand; gaining to hand doesn't displace anything.

I think as it is it's somewhere between $4 and $5; the reaction essentially serves as a discard for money like Secret Chamber, but it can also be used to avoid curses and such (and it makes gainers like Workshop a LOT more powerful). The reaction is definitely the more interesting part and it'd be cool to see that more accessible so maybe nerf the silver gaining somehow and make it $4.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: October 27, 2019, 01:05:55 pm »
+2

Mine is one of the weakest cards in the game so I wouldn't use it as a point of comparison myself.
And even then Mine has an advantage over Gild as it gains to hand.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: October 27, 2019, 04:00:14 pm »
+1

I think this is a huge improvement. However, you want the card to be drawn after the reveal of your hand, otherwise that one card can screw things up. So I'd do it this way.

+1 Action, +1 Buy

If the revealed cards all have different names, +1 Card, +2 Actions. Otherwise, +1 Card.

That does say it better grr. Will make the change. Thank you

« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 04:03:50 pm by ShadowHawk »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: October 27, 2019, 04:08:47 pm »
+1

+1 Action, +1 Buy

That does say it better grr. Will make the change. Thank you

You could simplify it to
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand. If the revealed cards all have different names, +2 Actions. Either way, +1 Card.

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: October 27, 2019, 04:59:26 pm »

Bureaucrat gaining onto deck is weaker because it displaces another card in your next hand; gaining to hand doesn't displace anything.

I think as it is it's somewhere between $4 and $5; the reaction essentially serves as a discard for money like Secret Chamber, but it can also be used to avoid curses and such (and it makes gainers like Workshop a LOT more powerful). The reaction is definitely the more interesting part and it'd be cool to see that more accessible so maybe nerf the silver gaining somehow and make it $4.

Thank you, I totally agree and I appreciate your perspective. I actually think it'd be interesting to make the on-play lower hand size -- less synergy could be interesting. I'm thinking one of these variants:
1. Gain a silver to your hand, put a card onto your deck.
2. Put a card onto your deck, gain a silver to your hand.
3. Gain a silver to your hand, discard a card.
4. Discard a treasure card, gain a silver to your hand.
5. +1$ gain a silver to hand, discard 2 cards. (kind of horse traders)
Costing it 4 for all of these.
I'm leaning towards 1 right now.

Any thoughts?

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: October 27, 2019, 05:38:16 pm »
+1

Thank you, I totally agree and I appreciate your perspective. I actually think it'd be interesting to make the on-play lower hand size -- less synergy could be interesting. I'm thinking one of these variants:

Any thoughts?

I think #1 is best.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: October 27, 2019, 06:52:17 pm »
+1

I'm changing my entry a bit:

I went down the big card route rather than support big cards route; you can actually make one appear in the game that way. Safe can only give 1 Coffers now, to make things a bit harder to hit $7, and lets you top-deck something instead, sometimes useful generally but here could include preparing something for Foundation to hit.
Foundation is a Hireling Upgrade-gaining-to-hand. It can stack (though perhaps the gain to hand is too strong), be something to save Coffers up for, and acts as a $1 cost step between Gold and Province.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: October 27, 2019, 09:23:51 pm »
+1

Any thoughts?
I think 1's good if it costs $4 because then it still slows you down, either this turn or next turn. 4 is also not bad (nor is 2, but I don't think you lose much by allowing them to topdeck the silver if they want).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: October 28, 2019, 10:14:02 pm »
+2

Street
Action - $2
+3 Actions
(Heirloom: Map)

Map
Treasure/Heirloom - $4
+$1 per unused Action you have (Action, not Action card)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 11:39:29 am by NoMoreFun »

anordinaryman

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: October 29, 2019, 01:45:31 pm »
+2

Updated entry
Contest #49: Make a Card with a Custom Heirloom

Fur Trader | Action - Reaction | $4
Gain a Silver to your hand. Put a card from your hand onto your deck.
-
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. Discard any number of cards to instead gain a card costing up to $1 more per card discarded.
Pelt | Treasure - Heirloom | costs $2 | worth $1 money
$1

You may trash a Silver from your hand to gain a card costing up to $4.

Made pelt into a situational upgrade instead. It seemed a little more interesting than what I had, and it still combos with Fur Trader, and works by itself without fur trader. For example, your jack of trades in an engine finally has a way to turn the silvers into engine components. I added a top-decking ability to fur trader to slightly weaken it, but also give it some strategic depth. Fur Trader is now a really good card for terminal collisions it gives you the option to put the terminal onto your deck if you play it, and if you don't play it (let's say you had 3 terminals collide), you can use the those unused action cards as discard fodder when gaining a card.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:06:56 pm by anordinaryman »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: October 29, 2019, 05:45:59 pm »
+1

Tinker
Types: Night
Exchange a card from your hand for a card from the Supply costing up to $2 more than it.
Heirloom: Tin Snips
Tin Snips
Types: Treasure, Reaction, Heirloom
Cost: $3
$1
When you return a card to the Supply, you may discard this from your hand for +3 Coffers.
I do agree that Tinker needs to cost $5 (which you changed in the image but not the text): Remodel is very nearly too strong for $4, let alone Remodel-with-a-benefit (and being non-terminal is a huge benefit, even if it has to trigger during the Night phase).
Tin Snips is this huge source of +Coffers, but has so little to play with it except Tinker.  +3 Coffers is way too big for how frustrating it will be to align in the early game.  I'd much rather Tin Snips trigger off trashing for it to play nicer with more Kingdom cards.  Then it can give a more reasonable number of Coffers, and Tinker could trash instead of Exchange.
I mean if I did that I'd basically be making cards that already exist. The exchange-instead-of-trashing is The Whole Point of the card.
I did change Tin Snips to +2 Coffers tho, because +3 is too much - you hit that and a Swashbuckler? You've got your treasure chest in one go. Too much. But in the interest of having a game where you ignore Tinker and still use Tin Snips, I changed it to be a Silver instead of a Copper (and bumped the price up by one so we don't have to have Yet Another "Strictly Better" thread derailment on this board).
There isn't currently a non-terminal Remodel, nor a Remodel that ties into an Heirloom.  Exchanging is a fine idea for a Remodel variant, but it is not as though exchanging is the only unique part of Tinker.  It seems to just make Tin Snips virtually only proc on Tinker instead of having a host of triggers.  That reads odd to me, because I would think that Heirlooms should be designed to interact meaningfully with their Kingdom cards without being strictly defined by it.
Reducing Coffers to +2 is a major improvement to Tin Snips, especially with it giving +$2 on play: It massively reduces the frustration of missing as it goes from better $2 to worse $2.  I'm not sure I like the effect it has on the opening, as $5/$3 is probably pretty silly on most boards compared to $4/$4.

Gild
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a Gold.
Heirloom: Ingot
Ingot
Cost: $3
$1. When you play this, if you have a Gold, Silver and Copper in play, you may trash this, to move your +$1 token to an Action Supply pile. (When you play a card from that pile, you first get +$1.)
I like Ingot a lot. I mostly worry that Gild will speed the game up too often that the +$1 token won't matter. I might take notes from Altar and make Gild cost $6.  It would be a weaker $6 for sure, but I worry it would be domineering as a $5 in how it doesn't increase your stop-density.  Comparisons to Mine are not warranted as this turns Coppers and even Estates into Gold, which is wildly better. Comparisons to Dismantle might make more sense, but not quite because Dismantle actually floods your deck when you're trashing Estates, so this remains wildly better than that official card too.  I think it is unique enough, but plays largely against Ingot.  I'm not sure how I'd feel better about it without complicating Gild's pure simplicity.

Foundation
Types: Action, Duration
Cost: $7
At the start of each of your turns for the rest of the game: you may trash a card from your hand, to gain a card to your hand costing exactly $1 more than it.
Heirloom: Safe
Safe
Cost: $1
+1 Coffers. When you play this, you may put a card from your hand onto your deck.
I think Foundation should cost $8 mostly because being able to trash Golds for Foundations is probably too good in 2-player when you can also trash Foundations for Provinces.  Even without that ability, having multiple Foundations would give you a lot of pile control, which is why I would go up to $8 instead of down to $6.

Fur Trader
Types: Action, Reaction
Cost: $4
Gain a Silver ot your hand. Put a card from your hand onto your deck.
Pelt
Cost: $2
$1. You may trash a Silver from your hand to gain a card costing up to $4.
This version of your submission is much better overall.  You are probably underselling Fur Trader's ability to discard your hand for a $5 gain early in the game.  Most Kingdoms I buy Fur Trader would probably be for that Reaction.  The key interaction between the two is probably using Pelt to trash a Silver and Fur trader to gain a $5 (functionally out of $4 in the form of Silver being trashed and a Fur Trader being discarded).  It still costs a Buy most of the time, so I wouldn't call it overpowered.  Fur Trader -> Workshop+ around draw is a fine idea, but playing Fur Trader is probably really bad. 
I recommend a slight buff by having Fur Trader "gain a card costing exactly $1 more per card discarded" so you can typically block Curses by discarding 1 card.  I might make Fur Trader gain 2 Silvers with no hand shenanigans so you can more easily align Pelt.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.