Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546678 times)

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3825 on: October 19, 2019, 10:36:42 pm »
+2

Oh nice. This was my first alternate for last week anyway.

Practise • $3 • Event
Play a non-Command, non-Duration Action card whose cost is $4 or less from the Supply, leaving it there. Take the Bow or the Rosin.
Bow • Artifact
At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play a card whose cost is $5 or less instead.
(Follow all other restrictions on Practise)
Rosin • Artifact
At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play the selected card twice, leaving it in the Supply.

Notes:
  • Bow lets you bypass Potion costs. This is intentional. cleaner to get rid of this and fix the "play debt cards for free"
  • Rosin probably doesn't need the reminder text Rosin now actually uses its reminder text
  • Practise now can't play Duration cards, because the tracking on that would be a mess.

Big shout-out to Fragasnap for making me think what an event/command card would look like, and to Gubump + scolapasta for reminding me that: Hey Debt exists and you should probably fix this.

In my dreams, I have a Plan, if I got me Wine Merchant ah, I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd Fool around and have a Ball...

Too easy to loop.

i'm not following what you're saying here

If I understand correctly Practise produces unbounded +$ and +buy with anything that gives at least +$2 and +1 Buy with Rosin. I'm pretty sure you win on turn 1 with a $4 hand and Messenger/Nomad Camp on the board. It needs a once per turn clause or some other way to stop you buying it over and over with +buy cards.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: October 19, 2019, 10:52:26 pm »
+1

New Entry

Shadow Realm

Action/Command - $3
You may reveal an Action from your hand to play it, then play the Shadow card with the same cost, leaving it there.
-
Setup: For each Action card cost present in the supply, set aside an extra non-command Action with that cost; these are the Shadow cards.

Note: Sometimes there won't be a card available to set aside as a Shadow (eg Poor House or Engineer or Golem is in the supply, or Artisan is and you only own the base set). "Do as much as you can" - Shadow Realm is just a Ruined Village to those cards.

I would personally price this at . I might even say that it's better on average than a Throne Room.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:10:49 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3827 on: October 19, 2019, 11:58:13 pm »

Practise • $3 • Event
Play a non-Command, non-Duration Action card whose cost is $4 or less from the Supply, leaving it there. Take the Bow or the Rosin.
Bow • Artifact
At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play a card whose cost is $5 or less instead.
Rosin • Artifact
At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play the selected card twice, leaving it in the Supply.

Notes:
  • Bow lets you bypass Potion costs. This is intentional. cleaner to get rid of this and fix the "play debt cards for free"
  • Rosin probably doesn't need the reminder text Rosin now actually uses its reminder text
  • Practise now can't play Duration cards, because the tracking on that would be a mess.

Big shout-out to Fragasnap for making me think what an event/command card would look like, and to Gubump + scolapasta for reminding me that: Hey Debt exists and you should probably fix this.

In my dreams, I have a Plan, if I got me Wine Merchant ah, I wouldn't have to work at all, I'd Fool around and have a Ball...

Too easy to loop.

If I understand correctly Practise produces unbounded +$ and +buy with anything that gives at least +$2 and +1 Buy with Rosin. I'm pretty sure you win on turn 1 with a $4 hand and Messenger/Nomad Camp on the board. It needs a once per turn clause or some other way to stop you buying it over and over with +buy cards.

Ah gotcha. yeah that makes sense. Changed it to once per turn. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:30:38 am by spineflu »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: October 20, 2019, 02:07:06 am »

New Entry

Shadow Realm

Action/Command - $3
You may reveal an Action from your hand to play it, then play the Shadow card with the same cost, leaving it there.
-
Setup: For each Action card cost present in the supply, set aside an extra non-command Action with that cost; these are the Shadow cards.

Note: Sometimes there won't be a card available to set aside as a Shadow (eg Poor House or Engineer or Golem is in the supply, or Artisan is and you only own the base set). "Do as much as you can" - Shadow Realm is just a Ruined Village to those cards.

I would personally price this at . I might even say that it's better on average than a Throne Room.

Its strength really depends on the cards it calls up.

In the secret histories Throne Room was fine at $3 but was bumped up to $4 to make eleborate Throned Throne trees pop up less in the base set. Shadow Realm chains are linear.

But the main reason I made it $3 is it's one of those cards that gets better the higher you price it, as you can play a Shadow Realm with Shadow Realm.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: October 20, 2019, 11:31:56 am »
+1

New Entry

Shadow Realm

Action/Command - $3
-

In the secret histories Throne Room was fine at $3 but was bumped up to $4 to make eleborate Throned Throne trees pop up less in the base set. Shadow Realm chains are linear.

But the main reason I made it $3 is it's one of those cards that gets better the higher you price it, as you can play a Shadow Realm with Shadow Realm.
That's an opportunity to make a Shadow card specific to each unique price point which is only used with Shadow Realm (kinda like Zombies with Necromancer). So you'd need one for Transmute, Engineer, Golem, Poor House, and Possession (and maybe Peddler?)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:35:41 am by spineflu »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: October 20, 2019, 12:39:16 pm »
+1

Once per game: Gain a Duchy. Set aside a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $4. Move your Duchy token to it.
(During your turns, Duchies are also Actions with "Play the card with your Duchy token, leaving it there.")

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: October 20, 2019, 04:02:36 pm »
+1

New Entry

Shadow Realm

Action/Command - $3
-

That's an opportunity to make a Shadow card specific to each unique price point which is only used with Shadow Realm (kinda like Zombies with Necromancer). So you'd need one for Transmute, Engineer, Golem, Poor House, and Possession (and maybe Peddler?)

If I was designing a whole bunch of cards I'd make sure no price point only had 1 card, but in order to avoid not having shadows, you'd need 11 Action cards to exist at each price point. I'd rather keep it (relatively) simple.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: October 20, 2019, 06:02:02 pm »
+3

Here's my quick made submission:

Kind of like a miser, you can save up during a year of plenty and make your next YoP better (diminishing returns on YoP when you start cashing them in though).  Hope it's clear what it does.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: October 20, 2019, 09:09:17 pm »

Kind of like a miser, you can save up during a year of plenty and make your next YoP better (diminishing returns on YoP when you start cashing them in though).  Hope it's clear what it does.

I think to make it more clear you should say "turn one Copper on your Tavern mat face down. At the end of your turn, flip it face up." That is more align with Dominion cards that specifically instruct rather than imply what to do. "Keep it down for the turn" is satisfied by keeping it down for the turn and next turn and forever, technically. So, it'd be a little clearer to instruct the turning back of the Copper.

edit: retracting this, see conversation after this 

I think this card is very cool!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:21:28 am by anordinaryman »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: October 20, 2019, 09:37:59 pm »
+1

I think to make it more clear you should say "turn one Copper on your Tavern mat face down. At the end of your turn, flip it face up." That is more align with Dominion cards that specifically instruct rather than imply what to do. "Keep it down for the turn" is satisfied by keeping it down for the turn and next turn and forever, technically. So, it'd be a little clearer to instruct the turning back of the Copper.

Necromancer uses the same "turn it face down for the turn" wording.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: October 21, 2019, 12:19:39 am »

Necromancer uses the same "turn it face down for the turn" wording.

You’re absolutely right!! My comment is retracted

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: October 21, 2019, 01:03:33 pm »
+1

Practise • $3 • Event
Bow • Artifact
Rosin • Artifact

Notes:

Too easy to loop.

In addition to that, there is no reason to ban Command cards from being played. I mean, you aren't going to create loops when the card is played from an event.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: October 21, 2019, 01:35:44 pm »

Practise • $3 • Event
Bow • Artifact
Rosin • Artifact

Notes:

Too easy to loop.

In addition to that, there is no reason to ban Command cards from being played. I mean, you aren't going to create loops when the card is played from an event.

true but
1) challenge requires "Command" in the text or type
2) futureproofs against hypothetical Command cards that may play events
3) the gain from allowing them is pretty much just to let you hit multiple adventures tokens in a "single" play or to make Conspirator better - just point to the card you wanna do, none of this pointers-to-pointers stuff. You can still use it as Necromancer if you wanna do that sort of thing.

Revising that specific aspect isn't a high priority to me. Good catch though.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 01:39:48 pm by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: October 22, 2019, 11:05:42 am »
+1

I would avoid listing that as a point of defense (especially as the first point), because it reads like you're ok with just taking any random card, and adding "Command" in the text to make it fit the challenge; when the challenge specifically requires there to be good reason to use the text/type.

I think your reason #3 is good enough as a defense.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: October 22, 2019, 11:32:40 am »

I would avoid listing that as a point of defense (especially as the first point), because it reads like you're ok with just taking any random card, and adding "Command" in the text to make it fit the challenge; when the challenge specifically requires there to be good reason to use the text/type.

I think your reason #3 is good enough as a defense.

I mean, regardless if it can play commands or not, i think it fits the spirit of the challenge. But yeah that bell is rung as far as not including that as a defense.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: S_Smart
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #3840 on: October 22, 2019, 02:27:55 pm »
+2

Zealot
Types: Action, Duration, Attack, Command
Cost: $4
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1. Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a card on their turn, they ignore its effect and may play a cheaper non-Command card sharing a type with it from the Supply, leaving it there.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:19:27 pm by Something_Smart »

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: October 22, 2019, 05:26:27 pm »

Charity
Action - Command - $4
Trash a card from your hand. Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, leaving it there.

The play of the action from the Supply appears to be mandatory.  Was that intentional? There could be some kingdoms and situations where you'd prefer not to play an action costing $3 or less as a result of trashing a copper (in particular, the most common such situation seems to be when the only actions you could play are forced trashers, and you don't have any other cards you want to trash).

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: October 22, 2019, 06:19:04 pm »
+1

Zealot
$4 - Action/Duration/Attack/Command

At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1.
Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a card on their turn that would be unaffected by a Zealot, they ignore its effect and may play a cheaper non-Command card from the Supply sharing a type with it.

This card might be too brutal against cheap Action cards, but it looks neat otherwise. My brain broke trying understand the part in italics though. What would cause something to be "affected" by Zealot besides being hit by the Attack?

Charity
Action - Command - $4
Trash a card from your hand. Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, leaving it there.

The play of the action from the Supply appears to be mandatory.  Was that intentional? There could be some kingdoms and situations where you'd prefer not to play an action costing $3 or less as a result of trashing a copper (in particular, the most common such situation seems to be when the only actions you could play are forced trashers, and you don't have any other cards you want to trash).

Yes, this is intentional. I think it makes it more interesting.

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: October 22, 2019, 07:16:59 pm »

This card might be too brutal against cheap Action cards, but it looks neat otherwise. My brain broke trying understand the part in italics though. What would cause something to be "affected" by Zealot besides being hit by the Attack?
Oh, the intent of that wording was to make the attack stack (so if you play two Zealots it downgrades your opponent's first two cards), primarily to give it a sufficiently different design space from Enchantress. So like the first Zealot you play downgrades your opponent's first play, and the second one downgrades the second play (since it skipped over the first one for already being affected by a Zealot). That might be disgusting with Throne though, but I think the attack doesn't have enough potency if it can't be stacked. If you have any ideas on how to make that wording less confusing, I'm all ears.

As for the cheap action thing, you might be right. Maybe I could put in a clause to allow the opponent to get +1 Action if they can't play a cheaper card; getting hit with that is still significantly worse than getting hit with Enchantress, though you only miss out on playing an action that wasn't that good anyway.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: October 22, 2019, 09:06:07 pm »
+1

Assembly
Types: Action, Command
Cost: $5
You may play a non-Command Action card from your hand. Then, if you did, play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to the cost of that Action card, leaving it there.
If you play a $5 card from your hand with Assembly, your Assembly is a Band of Misfits played without spending an +action.  If you only have $4 Actions to play with it, you can only Band of Misfits $3 Actions.
I think you're misunderstanding the card, in the context of Dominion up to $X includes $X. So if you play a $5 with Assembly you can play any card in the Supply costing $5 or less, including another copy of the card you played.
Quite right, I don't misunderstand the concept of "up to": I misread the card (funnily enough considering I transcribed it correctly).  I stand by the non-Command from hand being unnecessary (from Supply is needed), especially because Assembly->Assembly would need to have a third Action in hand to be able to chain.  It just seems like a feel-bad mechanism that I wouldn't want to have on a $5 Throne Room variant. 

Zealot
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1. Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a card on their turn that would be unaffected by a Zealot, they ignore its effect and may play a cheaper non-Command card from the Supply sharing a type with it.
Oh, the intent of that wording was to make the attack stack (so if you play two Zealots it downgrades your opponent's first two cards), primarily to give it a sufficiently different design space from Enchantress.
This is not preferable from a design sense.  A Zealot chain can shut out the game (which would be a huge first-player advantage and could be exacerbated in multiplayer (though they have to get through the other players' Zealots first)), especially because it hits any kind of card you play, even cancelling Coppers altogether.  I think it is sufficiently different than Enchantress regardless.  Enchantress is an independently strong card that increases the value of low-cost Actions, while Zealot will be much more Kingdom-dependent in reducing the value of low-cost cards.  It giving +1 Action next turn might be trouble, though, as players might buy it just for the actions.

The big rules problem this has is how it is supposed to interact with Enchantress when I play an Action while under both effects.
I'd guess I get +1 Card and +1 Action and then also play a cheaper non-Command card sharing a type with it (Enchantress nullifies the effects of the Action and gives me the cantrip bonus, and then Zealot steps in and nullifies the nothing that the card did and tells me to play a cheaper non-Command card in the Supply, or the other way around because I choose the order): An anti-synergy.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Something_Smart

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: October 22, 2019, 11:19:09 pm »

Hmm. As much as I'd like it to be able to stack, the multiplayer interaction combined with the first turn advantage combined with the tortured wording may be too many strikes against it.

Zealot
At the start of your next turn, +1 Card, +1 Action, and +$1. Until your next turn, the first time each other player plays a card on their turn, they ignore its effect and may play a cheaper non-Command card sharing a type with it from the Supply, leaving it there.

By the way, where are you guys finding art to use in the card generator?

DEGwer

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: DEGwer
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: October 23, 2019, 04:09:13 am »

Zealot

I think this attacking concept is cool. It sometimes hurt so much (Seer) and sometimes help so much (Smithy into Village!) and change the opponent's strategy like Embargo.
By the way, I think the non-Command restriction is not needed. Playing Zealot from the Supply to help the next turn is reasonable defense strategy and doesn't make loops.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: October 23, 2019, 08:15:36 am »
+1

I made a minot tweak to Student, using Peddler's phrasing, to make it clear that the cost is based on the players whose turn it is, not the player whose Student is being evaluated (this matters for Attacks, for example):

Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Abel_K

• Scout
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: October 23, 2019, 10:34:16 am »

By the way, where are you guys finding art to use in the card generator?

...Difficult to find a good painting for this subject that yet seems interesting to treat.
I propose you Simon the Zealot.

(sorry I don't know how to post an image that could be enlarged...)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:35:56 am by Abel_K »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: October 23, 2019, 10:47:15 am »
+1

I'll post my judgement within 12 hours.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.