Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546853 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3775 on: October 16, 2019, 03:40:33 am »
+1

Five Year Plan feels the safer design, so I'll say majiponi is second.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: October 16, 2019, 11:55:08 am »
+2

So, I can post an mission and judge, right? Then...

CONTEST #48 DESIGN A COMMAND
Donald added a new type, Command, to Band of Misfits, Overlord, and Captain to avoid infinite loops. Let's enjoy this new card type. You can create either a card or a card-shaped thing. Your card should have "Command" in its text or its type, with a good reason to have that word.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: October 16, 2019, 02:13:34 pm »
+2

Well now, this seems like the perfect opportunity to revisit my first ever challenge card, Student. By changing to work as a command card, and some other (hopefully, clever) changes, I've made it simpler and (again, hopefully) more interesting.

Notes:
• I debated whether it should just go up $ in cost, instead of debt. But I really liked the the thematic idea of going into debt for the more "advanced" courses. I also think it differentiates it some from Band of Misfits, when there aren't any Actions that cost more than 5 (i.e. you can still buy this when you have $4, even if it puts you into some debt).
• I made the setting aside optional, so you could gain Students without setting aside a new "course" / raising cost.
• It wouldn't make sense to ever gain just one of these, but I think that's fine. That's true of BOM too.
• One aspect of the design was to have a BoM variant that (eventually) let you play cards that cost more than $5.

Feedback welcome!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 08:15:59 am by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: October 16, 2019, 02:25:43 pm »

Ideally, for theme, there would be a University mat or a Schola mat, but this game has enough mats as it is so I left it for the Tavern mat.

The Scholasticus collects research and students in the forms of Actions and then directs them. You need at least 2 of them to make the Command portion work.

Edit one: majiponi noted the loop issue. Corrected card language to specify non-Command Actions.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:13:33 pm by ShadowHawk »

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: October 16, 2019, 02:33:58 pm »

majiponi: Wow! That's exactly the challenge I was thinking about!

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3780 on: October 16, 2019, 03:15:36 pm »
+1

Here's my submission this week. Falconer is one of my first fan cards from a few years back, initially using the old Band of Misfits wording; I've updated it now to reflect the new Command errata. Essentially it's a cheap Band of Misfits that lets you either play a simple cantrip or the worst Action card in your opponent's hand. Sometimes what they reveal doesn't work, but that's okay, there's always the cantrip consolation prize. But other times, their worst card is still a winner. Late game, it can become a tactical puzzle for your opponent on which of their good actions to reveal that will help you the least.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3781 on: October 16, 2019, 03:21:10 pm »
+1

Oh nice. This was my first alternate for last week anyway.

Practise • $3 • Event
Once per turn: Play a non-Command, non-Duration Action card whose cost is $4 or less from the Supply, leaving it there. Take the Bow or the Rosin.
Bow • Artifact
At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play a card whose cost is $5 or less instead.
(Follow all other restrictions on Practise)
Rosin • Artifact
At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play the selected card twice, leaving it in the Supply.
(Follow all other restrictions on Practise)

Notes:
  • Bow lets you bypass Potion costs. This is intentional. cleaner to get rid of this and fix the "play debt cards for free"
  • Rosin probably doesn't need the reminder text Rosin now actually uses its reminder text
  • Practise now can't play Duration cards, because the tracking on that would be a mess.
  • Practise is now once per turn - no infinite money with a Woodcutter + Rosin

Big shout-out to Fragasnap for making me think what an event/command card would look like, and to Gubump + scolapasta for reminding me that: Hey Debt exists and you should probably fix this, and to majiponi for pointing out loop potential exists.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:30:15 am by spineflu »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: October 16, 2019, 03:30:06 pm »
+1

Well now, this seems like the perfect opportunity to revisit my first ever challenge card, Student. By changing to work as a command card, and some other (hopefully, clever) changes, I've made it simpler and (again, hopefully) more interesting.

Notes:
• I debated whether it should just go up $ in cost, instead of debt. But I really liked the the thematic idea of going into debt for the more "advanced" courses. I also think it differentiates it some from Band of Misfits, when there aren't any Actions that cost more than 5 (i.e. you can still buy this when you have $4, even if it puts you into some debt).
• I made the setting aside optional, so you could gain Students without setting aside a new "course" / raising cost.
• It wouldn't make sense to ever gain just one of these, but I think that's fine. That's true of BOM too.

Feedback welcome!

Actually, besides any general feedback, one very specific question I have, is the phrasing of "costing less than than the $ + debt this costs" clear?

The idea is that this first lets you gain a card, costing $3, then $4, then $5, etc. (i.e. you add up the $ and the debt and the cards you gain can only cost $)
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: October 16, 2019, 03:46:26 pm »

Notes:

Feedback welcome!

Actually, besides any general feedback, one very specific question I have, is the phrasing of "costing less than than the $ + debt this costs" clear?

The idea is that this first lets you gain a card, costing $3, then $4, then $5, etc. (i.e. you add up the $ and the debt and the cards you gain can only cost $)

That works to my read; a thing you may want to include is that it should set aside a unique card each time? ie, that card isn't already on the Student mat. Otherwise it's sorta easy to empty the Student + (other cheap card) pile to force a 3-pile ending.

If you need to free up space, you can lose the second line and just have a

or two in there before the cost modification.

Also just a sorta general reminder for the thread: be careful making a command card that can play treasures because Scepter didn't get errata'd, which means an infinity loop is possible there.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 03:55:22 pm by spineflu »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: October 16, 2019, 04:26:58 pm »

That works to my read; a thing you may want to include is that it should set aside a unique card each time? ie, that card isn't already on the Student mat. Otherwise it's sorta easy to empty the Student + (other cheap card) pile to force a 3-pile ending.

Did something get cut off there? I don't follow that part about losing the 2nd line.

Regardless, is it that easy to empty the Student + 2nd pile? The first student costs $4, the second 4$@1, etc. At that point there aren't many cards that just gain you any Action (since this now has debt). And while you're emptying that 2nd pile, you'd be making the Students even more expensive for actually buying them. The 10th student, assuming you got them all, would cost you $4@9.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 05:38:00 pm by scolapasta »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: October 16, 2019, 06:43:52 pm »

Did something get cut off there? I don't follow that part about losing the 2nd line.

Regardless, is it that easy to empty the Student + 2nd pile? The first student costs $4, the second 4$@1, etc. At that point there aren't many cards that just gain you any Action (since this now has debt). And while you're emptying that 2nd pile, you'd be making the Students even more expensive for actually buying them. The 10th student, assuming you got them all, would cost you $4@9.

oh no, the VioletCLM/Shard of Honor card generators handle a double-line-break pretty gracefully - they shrink down the line height for the newline's line (i thought literalizing the double newline as

was more graceful than that mouthful of a line).
The only real metric you've gotta hit with Student is $4 on your "buying" turns (and to get through your debt turns ASAP), and that gets even easier if your students are some form of virtual coin + cantrip.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: October 16, 2019, 08:23:59 pm »
+8

Charity
Action - Command - $4
Trash a card from your hand. Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, leaving it there.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:58:10 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #48: Design a Command
« Reply #3787 on: October 16, 2019, 09:18:22 pm »
+4

I came up with this one about 3 months ago, but just recently changed it into a Command type. The Command type is present to prevent an infinite loop (play Delegate, play opponent's BoM, play Delegate from Supply, play same BoM, repeat ad infinitum). It also happens to be one of my most playtested fan cards if not the most.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: October 16, 2019, 09:53:30 pm »
+1

Notes:
  • Bow lets you bypass Potion costs. This is intentional.
  • Rosin probably doesn't need the reminder text

Big shout-out to Fragasnap for making me think what an event/command card would look like.

Is it intentional that Bow also lets you bypass Debt costs?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: October 16, 2019, 10:01:57 pm »
+3

This is no longer my entry

Retiree
Action/Command - $2
Trash this to play a non-Command Action costing up to $5 from the supply, leaving it there.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:33:22 pm by NoMoreFun »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: October 16, 2019, 10:04:47 pm »

Notes:

Big shout-out to Fragasnap for making me think what an event/command card would look like.

Hm. no. That probably shouldn't happen. Although... that's what, Engineer and no others since there's no cost reduction on debt cards? and you can't trash it since it stays there, so you can't get the double-up, so it's just a workshop? That's not the worst. Should probably fix it so it plays nice with everyone elses fan cards though. edit: nope, it's all debt cards that aren't Fortune or Overlord. need to fix it.

maybe "At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play a card whose cost in coins and debt is $5@0 or less instead."? kind of inelegant. I'll sleep on it. Feel free to make suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:07:49 pm by spineflu »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: October 16, 2019, 10:10:34 pm »
+1

Notes:

Hm. no. That probably shouldn't happen. Although... that's what, Engineer and no others since there's no cost reduction on debt cards? and you can't trash it since it stays there, so you can't get the double-up, so it's just a workshop? That's not the worst. Should probably fix it so it plays nice with everyone elses fan cards though

maybe "At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play a card whose cost in coins and debt is $5@0 or less instead."? kind of inelegant. I'll sleep on it.

It would affect any Debt Action cards (e.g. City Quarter, Royal Blacksmith) though, no? Since their cost in coins is $0.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: October 16, 2019, 10:15:09 pm »
+1

Notes:

Hm. no. That probably shouldn't happen. Although... that's what, Engineer and no others since there's no cost reduction on debt cards? and you can't trash it since it stays there, so you can't get the double-up, so it's just a workshop? That's not the worst. Should probably fix it so it plays nice with everyone elses fan cards though. edit: nope, it's all debt cards that aren't Fortune or Overlord. need to fix it.

maybe "At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play a card whose cost in coins and debt is $5@0 or less instead."? kind of inelegant. I'll sleep on it. Feel free to make suggestions.

Honestly, I would just drop the whole "ignoring--costs" functionality. I wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for your notes, and I'd say it would probably be overpowered to let Practise ignore costs.

If you insist on allowing Potion-cost cards, though, you could just do "At the start of your turn, +1 Buy. When you buy Practise, you may play a card costing up to instead."

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: October 16, 2019, 11:43:38 pm »
+1

Ideally, for theme, there would be a University mat or a Schola mat, but this game has enough mats as it is so I left it for the Tavern mat.

The Scholasticus collects research and students in the forms of Actions and then directs them. You need at least 2 of them to make the Command portion work.

Scholasticus cannot avoid loops.
Put +$1 token on this. Play this to set aside it. Play another, choosing that Scholasticus, choosing it, ...

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: October 17, 2019, 08:38:06 am »
+1

General
Types: Action, Command
Cost: $4
Choose one: Trash this and a non-Command, non-Duration Action from the Supply to play that card, leaving it in the trash; or replay up to 2 differently named Actions you played this turn before you played this that are still in play.
One-shot anything, or double-up on the cards you already played (in the way Scepter does, but in the Action phase).  One-shot Forge is probably silly, but everyone can open with it. Can't immediately think of another Action that would be broken as a one-shot in the opening.
Cascading Generals are noted: General 2 can play General 1 and another card, then General 1 plays two Actions you played before it.  Is that too strong do you suppose?  It seems immediately to me that a deck that can consistently rely on that deserves it and it would be really fun regardless of strength, but perhaps I'm underestimating how quickly it will build up and overestimating how much fun it would be.  It's not like a General-centric strategy wouldn't involve other Actions.

History:
Trashes the card it plays in the Supply. It's more thematically violent and reduces the chance of infinites.

Falconer
Cost: $3
The player to your left reveals a non-Command Action card from their hand (or reveals they can't). Choose one: +1 Card and +1 Action; or play the revealed card, leaving it there.
Delegate
Cost: $3
Each other player reveals their hand. Play a revealed non-Command, non-Duration Action, leaving it there. If you couldn't, +2 Cards.
The old "play Actions from another player's hand" trick doesn't work very well because you stop if from working by not buying Actions, so the question is how you general combat a largely Treasure-centered strategy in the design of the card.
4est's Falconer gets around it by making it a cantrip instead of the worst Action in the player to your left's hand.  I think the limitation is huge.  If you play Falconer terminally they can reveal a terminal card the you can't play.  If you play Falconer non-terminally, they reveal a minimally useful non-terminal, again making Falconer of only marginal use.  I think a strong money-centric Strategy will make Falconer a waste of time.
Gubump's Delegate instead turns into a Moat instead of the best Action in any other player's hand.  Hitting anyone's any card means that this scales poorly into multiplayer.  The save of Moat is probably even worse than Falconer's cantrip, so I would likely still run good money against Delegate.
I recommend the catch for not having an Action to play be better than the Action play, honestly.  Me revealing an Action to your Command-card should make your Command card worse.

Scholasticus
Types: Action, Command, Reserve
Choose one: Place this and an Action card from your hand onto your Tavern mat; or play an Action card that is on your Tavern mat, leaving it there.
You may call this when you play another Scholasticus.
You ought to put a "non-Reserve non-Command" clause on both the "Action card" phrases, or the loop majiponi presents exists.
The fact that the call is only to bring back Scholasticus is weird, on top of the pseudo-trashing being really slow. Way slower than Necromancer. I'd rather the calling it be what plays a Tavern Action and then the playing always puts it on your Tavern mat. It would make it much faster to both trash and play a card (after the first one).

Charity
Trash a card from your hand. Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $3 more than the trashed card, leaving it there.
I love trash-for-benefits.  This can trash Estates to play $5 cards which is nice.  Its ability to trash Coppers is strongly dependent on the quality of $3 Actions that appear: Is that limitation intentional?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:13:38 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3795 on: October 17, 2019, 09:10:45 am »
+2

I wonder if I can reuse one of my newest mechanics ideas here...

A $4 that can be a $5 but it weakens the next vanilla Action you play, using a State to take 1 point off a bonus it gives before you resolve it. Taunted/Twice Taunted is a two-sided State that reduces 1 Action per side so Twice Taunted affects the next 2 Actions.
The ways you can get around the setback like with Remodels and draw-to-X might make this too strong overall.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: October 17, 2019, 10:02:22 am »

updated Practise/Bow/Rosin - got rid of the potion/debt mess on Bow, updated the wording on Rosin, changed Practise to not be able to play Durations because that sounds like a mess with tracking.

DEGwer

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: DEGwer
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: October 17, 2019, 10:06:03 am »
+3

My Entry:

The first play of this will basically be ruined village, but it becomes strong when stacked.
In the second play it can be a Laboratory (Moat), in the third play it can be a Bustling Village (Village), in the fourth play it can be +3 Cards, +1 Action (Smithy), and from the sixth, it can be Goons with +Action! (Although Lost Arts are the easier way)
In first play, Ruined Library can also be used as a cantrip.

Another purpose is providing pseudo-villages in the kingdom with no village. Playing two successors as nothing-Perl Diver works like a Necropolis.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: October 17, 2019, 10:26:10 am »
+4

The idea is that it's like a Throne Room, but you can choose a different card for the 2nd play. It might be too flexible and should perhaps require the card to be exactly the same cost as the first card but it can't play copies of itself, which is a pretty substantial downside vs other Thrones. the wording could probably be better too, I'm not the best at wording these cards.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:55:26 am by Gazbag »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: October 17, 2019, 10:38:01 am »
+2

The idea is that it's like a Throne Room, but you can choose a different card for the 2nd play. It might be too flexible and should perhaps require the card to be exactly the same cost as the first card but it can't play copies of itself, which is a pretty substantial downside vs other Thrones. the wording could probably be better too, I'm not the best at wording these cards.

the way its worded now allows it to play Treasures for the second card; is that intentional?
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.