Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546786 times)

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3750 on: October 12, 2019, 09:01:36 am »

I don't see the situation in which the "finish your Buy phase" clause of Land Surveying ever matters. If you want to buy other stuff, you can always do it before you buy the Event.
I also don't see the appeal of the degenerate equilibrium this leads to. We know this from other cards like Treasurer that fight over an Artifact (and arguably cards like Relic which make everybody waste resources such that the game becomes slower). But these are Kingdom cards that do not automatically lead to boring to-and-fro.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3751 on: October 12, 2019, 09:09:41 am »
+1

I don't see the situation in which the "finish your Buy phase" clause of Land Surveying ever matters. If you want to buy other stuff, you can always do it before you buy the Event.
I also don't see the appeal of the degenerate equilibrium this leads to. We know this from other cards like Treasurer that fight over an Artifact (and arguably cards like Relic which make everybody waste resources such that the game becomes slower). But these are Kingdom cards that do not automatically lead to boring to-and-fro.

I think the intent of the "finish your buy phase" is to prevent you from buying two Land Surveying in one turn, but the event should just say  "Once per turn".

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3752 on: October 12, 2019, 09:21:20 am »
+1

By "gain a Victory" do you mean "gain any Victory card, including a Province or Colony"? That's way too powerful.

DEGwer

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: DEGwer
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3753 on: October 12, 2019, 09:45:11 am »

I think the intent of the "finish your buy phase" is to prevent you from buying two Land Surveying in one turn, but the event should just say  "Once per turn".

I wanted to prevent from buying three or more Land Surveying without having Map, but I don't want to prevent it with having Map: Opponent should take Map to prevent megaturn.

DEGwer

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: DEGwer
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: October 12, 2019, 09:49:32 am »

By "gain a Victory" do you mean "gain any Victory card, including a Province or Colony"? That's way too powerful.

Gaining a Colony might be too strong, but at least gaining a Province is not so strong. It might be better to make "Gain a Province", but sometimes we want a Vineyard (or a Duchy) instead.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3755 on: October 12, 2019, 10:35:25 am »
+1

Modified my entry.

EDIT: Each player has its own trophy token. Also changed the effect of Floating trophy.

Subscribe (Event, $5)
Gain an Action costing up to $4. Move your Trophy token to its supply pile. (when it's the third time you play a card from its pile during your turns, take the Floating Trophy.)

Floating Trophy (Artifact)
At the start of your Buy phase, +1 VP.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3756 on: October 13, 2019, 09:14:34 am »
+1

Gaining a Colony might be too strong, but at least gaining a Province is not so strong. It might be better to make "Gain a Province", but sometimes we want a Vineyard (or a Duchy) instead.

In a game without Colonies, gaining a Province is every bit as strong as gaining a Colony. Probably stronger, in fact, because without Colonies it's the only pile that can end the game on its own.

Think about how this card would actually play out in a game. Imagine that you're the only one who's buying this. You're then guaranteed a Province every time you hit $4, which is trivial even with a 4-card hand. You'd need no deck-building beyond buying Silvers and maybe a trasher. If you absolutely have to buy a card to have even a hope of winning, that's a sign that it's too strong.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: October 13, 2019, 06:12:15 pm »
+2

My submission:

I am new to here and enjoyed making images!

You should say "Otherwise" instead of "If you have..."

When you buy this, you resolve its effect from top to bottom. So, first, you take the Map and end your Buy phase. But you STILL HAVE TO resolve the rest. When you resolve the second sentence, you HAVE the Map, so you gain a Victory even if this is your first Buy of Land Surveying.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3758 on: October 14, 2019, 09:10:53 am »
+1

Nothing unusual about my schedule as far as I know, so: 24 hours remain until judgment.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: October 14, 2019, 03:31:20 pm »
+2

OK, so I haven't had an entry in a several weeks, but I came up with what I hope is an interesting idea for an artifact yesterday, so let's try it out:

Official entry version: (after updates)

Original version - kept here for posterity:

Cauldron - Artifact
During your turns, Potions are  "Choose one: +1 Potion or +$3."

Infusion - Event - $P
+1 Buy. Trash a card from play. If it costs $4 or more, take the Cauldron. Play any number of treasures.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 11:52:44 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3760 on: October 14, 2019, 04:32:05 pm »

OK, so I haven't had an entry in a several weeks, but I came up with what I hope is an interesting idea for an artifact yesterday, so let's try it out*:

* I'll tweak/add card names / images later, but wanted to get something in sooner in case anyone has any feedback (in particular the Event, as I just tried to think of something quickly that could go with the Artifact)

Cauldron - Artifact

? - Event - $P
+1 Buy. Trash a card from play. If it costs $4 or more, take the Cauldron. Play any number of treasures.
"Brew"? "Concoct"?

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3761 on: October 14, 2019, 08:10:00 pm »

Did Donald X ever come up with a term for those basic type of effects?

Here is an edit based on the above. I changed the wording, and limited it to the first action played per turn.

The manual refers to them as "Special terms". Although this is not very common knowledge and no card references these in this way. You could add a note though to make it clear:

"The first time you play an Action card during each of your turns, add 1 to each special term (+1 Card, +1 Buy, etc) in its text."

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 08:18:36 pm by Kudasai »

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: October 14, 2019, 08:51:56 pm »
+2

OK, so I haven't had an entry in a several weeks, but I came up with what I hope is an interesting idea for an artifact yesterday, so let's try it out*:

* I'll tweak/add card names / images later, but wanted to get something in sooner in case anyone has any feedback (in particular the Event, as I just tried to think of something quickly that could go with the Artifact)

Cauldron - Artifact

? - Event - $P
"Brew"? "Concoct"?

Thanks, those ideas lead me to "Infusion". (Names still might change...)

And I have some images now, with fixed wording for Infusion:

I'd still be curious to hear any feedback, especially on Infusion.

General idea is that Cauldron turns your potions into (optional) $4 Golds. To get the Cauldron you'll have to trash a $4 (or more) card, and look at that, you can trash the potion you just played. Of course, then you lose one of those newly minted $4 golds. Infusion also allows you to play any potions you still have in head that very turn to use on the extra buy it gives you.

I do think Infusion still needs something. I'm considering:

• +$1 for each $2 the trashed card costs. (this would mean with three Potions, you could get a Province)
• +1 Action and return to your Action phase (I could then remove the "play any number of treasures").

Ideally I'd like to make Infusion worth buying even if you already have the Cauldron.

Any thoughts on these or other suggestions for Infusion? (or any better way to phrase Cauldron?)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:04:47 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

scolapasta

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3763 on: October 14, 2019, 11:43:20 pm »
+1

Cauldron - Artifact

? - Event - $P
"Brew"? "Concoct"?

Thanks, those ideas lead me to "Infusion". (Names still might change...)

And I have some images now, with fixed wording for Infusion:

I'd still be curious to hear any feedback, especially on Infusion.

General idea is that Cauldron turns your potions into (optional) $4 Golds. To get the Cauldron you'll have to trash a $4 (or more) card, and look at that, you can trash the potion you just played. Of course, then you lose one of those newly minted $4 golds. Infusion also allows you to play any potions you still have in head that very turn to use on the extra buy it gives you.

I do think Infusion still needs something. I'm considering:

• +$1 for each $2 the trashed card costs. (this would mean with three Potions, you could get a Province)
• +1 Action and return to your Action phase (I could then remove the "play any number of treasures").

Ideally I'd like to make Infusion worth buying even if you already have the Cauldron.

Any thoughts on these or other suggestions for Infusion? (or any better way to phrase Cauldron?)

OK, clearly posted too late to get any feedback before judging, so I'll just go with that first alternative for the contest:

I'd still be open to feedback, either here, or in my dedicated thread.

I'll update my original post with my official entry.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:29:59 pm by scolapasta »

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: October 14, 2019, 11:45:47 pm »

The manual refers to them as "Special terms". Although this is not very common knowledge and no card references these in this way. You could add a note though to make it clear:

"The first time you play an Action card during each of your turns, add 1 to each special term (+1 Card, +1 Buy, etc) in its text."

Good notice, but agreed, it is not common knowledge nor used. What about this phrasing: "The first time you play an Action card during each of your turns, add 1 to each denominated bonus (+ Cards, + Coffers, +$, etc.) in its text."?

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3765 on: October 15, 2019, 09:23:44 am »
+1

Warfare
Types: Event
Cost: $3
Take the Holy Land. Trash a Victory card with the lowest cost in coins from the Supply.
Holy Land
Types: Artifact

When you gain a Victory card, each other player may trash a card costing at least $3 from their hand. If they don't they gain a Curse.
Holy Land, man that's a stupid powerful curser.
I don't think so. I posted, and since played a bit, Parade here, a $4 Project which curses when you gain green. It is good but not overpowered. Holy Land is significantly weaker as you gotta fight for it and as you have an out-option.
I did think about linking to Parade shortly after I posted Warfare\HolyLand.  I was not very interested in Parade because it seemed like players would typically buy it and then largely forget about it.  That the major consideration of Parade is "How do I deal with the inevitable Curses?", a problem common to any Curser, but this one less interesting because me gaining a (non-Action) Victory card and each other player gaining a Curse is of functionally equal value in terms of tempo and consistency.  Holy Land, being an Artifact controlled by Warfare, is something with which players have to continually interact.

I feel that, but I still think it's too powerful. Parade is *way* underpriced for my taste, and also is kinda apples-to-oranges - the cursing goes both ways there, where everyone can buy it. With Warfare/Holy Land, if it's a no-plus-buys game, someone's gotta make the call on whether to Warfare or work on their Actual Deck, and meanwhile the Holy Land player gets to curse them and/or break their components. The first person to get there in a no-plus-buys game is in a way better position to hand out punishment.
I don't follow your argument here though.  In a 1-buy game, someone can make the call on whether to Warfare or work on their deck, but the Holy Land player is the player who already decided to Warfare.  In a 1-buy game, the Holy Land could give out 2 or 3 Curses if you have a bunch of extra gains, but the other players only need $3 to take the Holy Land from the player who has it and then they'll have to buy it again.  Typically you won't be able to trigger it on the same turn if you have only 1-buy, so other players would have to functionally give you permission to do the Cursing thing.  And that's why Warfare has the Victory-card trashing thing: To ensure stand-offs like that end.

Speaking of outs: There's not much junk in the $3+ range (Potions after the potion cards have run out/you have enough of them? Swindler in midgame? Silvers in a Colony game after you've started to get Platina? Masterpiece?), so your out is to trash a component or economy, and that's likely going to hurt more than a Curse will; meanwhile going for green is something you want to do anyways, so while there may be some hubris going for it too early, it's more of a rich-get-richer vibe that I'm getting from it (same rationale DXV used when he said he'd change Margrave to lose the +Buy).
One of my favorite comments in this regard was in the 2019 Qvist list regarding Soothsayer.
Sometimes there is a huge difference in utility between Gold and Curse and sometimes there isn’t.
So trashing a $3+ card is very rarely good, but it can be better than gaining a Curse.  That's the point: Trashing a $3+ card from hand is not a get-out-of-jail free card, but the bail might sometimes be cheaper than gaining a Curse.  The fact that players don't just trash a $3+ card, but trash it from hand does make it very expensive. I will add a "draw a card" clause to the trashing even though I don't like how small it makes the text.  I think it is better attached to only the trashing.  Players will probably fight over the Holy Land less often if it also gave card draw with its Cursing.
Original post updated.

Holy Land
When you gain a Victory card, each other player may trash a card costing at least $3 from their hand. If they do, they draw a card. Otherwise, they gain a Curse.

Liturgy
Cost: $3
+2 Buys. Take the Confessional
Confessional

When you gain a card, you may trash a card from your hand
Uh, turn 1 $3 Buy Confessional to turn 2 Estates into Coppers sounds pretty busted to me.

Land Surveying
Cost: $4
If you do not have the Map, take it and finish your Buy phase. If you have the Map, gain a Victory.
Map

At the start of Clean-up, put -1 Card token on your deck.
In a game without Colonies, gaining a Province is every bit as strong as gaining a Colony. Probably stronger, in fact, because without Colonies it's the only pile that can end the game on its own.

Think about how this card would actually play out in a game. Imagine that you're the only one who's buying this. You're then guaranteed a Province every time you hit $4, which is trivial even with a 4-card hand. You'd need no deck-building beyond buying Silvers and maybe a trasher. If you absolutely have to buy a card to have even a hope of winning, that's a sign that it's too strong.
I don't agree that gaining a Province for $4 is stronger than gaining a Colony for $4, but it is too strong either way.
The big problem Land Surveying will have is that you cannot allow someone to have it because $12 and 3-Buys turns into 3 Provinces, but buying it doesn't help the game end, so it will be a back-and-forth forever.

Infusion
Cost: $P
+1 Buy. Trash a card you have in play for +$1 per $2 it costs (round down). If it costs $4 or more, take the Cauldron. Play any number of treasures.
Cauldron

Infusion turns Potions into a worse Forager-alike with the Cauldron as its weird bonus.  You can buy Potions to Infuse Coppers out of your deck and then Infuse a Potion (or other $4+ card) to take the Cauldron and repurpose your Potions into cheap Golds.  Worse case scenario, this becomes a Strategy in itself, where you buy a bunch of Potions to use as cheap Golds.  In such a case, all you can really do if continually Infusion whenever anyone takes the Cauldron from you, in order to keep playing your Potions as Gold.  This is possibly a losing battle because you have to trash $4+ cards, so I imagine this is particularly weak in the average case.

I thought I had clearly articulated that before, but I guess not. Perhaps we disagree on this -- do you like to add many different concepts onto a card at once? If so, I'll definitely stop providing you feedback to pare your cards down to one focused concept.
I appreciate feedback, whether or not I agree with it.  I highlighted the particular text because you were continuously suggesting cards with built-in hiccups have those hiccups removed (like Coffee Roast's "how do I re-gain my trashed Potion?"), but you now claim to have suggested +1 Buy in spite of thinking that would make the card overpowered: So I am not sure what we're talking about now.
I agree that cards can be focused, and more often than not should be, though that is not necessarily a golden standard.  Per card we would be looking at individual particular criticisms, but I don't like flooding the replies with disagreements.  Thank you for the time you've put into your posts.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:09:26 am by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: October 15, 2019, 09:55:16 am »
+2

I think that an Event Artifact needs to give you an immediate benefit, like the Flag, so players don't pass the Artifact back and forth without it doing anything. Fishing is a little like Travelling Fair, but you only get to topdeck one card, but you can topdeck a card that was in your discard pile already or one you just bought. If you keep the Rod you get a discount on $4s too.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: October 15, 2019, 09:56:25 am »
+1

OK, so I haven't had an entry in a several weeks, but I came up with what I hope is an interesting idea for an artifact yesterday, so let's try it out:

Official entry version: (after updates)

Original version - kept here for posterity:

Cauldron - Artifact

Infusion - Event - $P
I like this a lot. Situations in which you want more than 1 Potion are rare and I actually think that this a key reason for why Alchemy is held in low esteem (although nobody ever explicitly says this). Gee, if there is a new resource, we want to see more than just 1 copy per player and game!
Your cards fix that issue, now you potentially want several Potions per game. It is also versatile, you can get the Potion as overpriced (but who cares about that if there are no other ways to thin) non-terminal trasher as well as source of payload. And it becomes really funky when there are Kingdom cards with Potion cost.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #47: Results
« Reply #3768 on: October 15, 2019, 10:12:44 am »
+3

Contest #47 Results

I find there are two ways to go with Artifacts, make them easy to take to make competitiveness or hard to take for a way to get ahead. Events I thought could be a great way to make both happen, being there ready to buy whenever the time is right. In either case, the main asset of Artifacts in Dominion is player interaction, so in judging your entries I've tried to keep in mind how a strategic player will feel as the Artifact moves around.

Supervision/Sandals (segura)
Event, $0 +1 Buy, discard card with two or more types to take the Sandals.
Artifact, at the end of your Buy phase, choose add 1VP to this or take the VP.

This creates competition and either risky or carefully measured decisions based on tracking what your opponents have when on whether to take or add to the VP pool. Play things safe and get 1VP every other turn and that does you out of several turns of potential 1VP adds. Or go super safe and never choose to add any VP; that would be a bad scenario, which would probably happen when everyone builds to take the Sandals every turn. The cost to take and keep the Sandals is not using a two+ -typed card, an elegant way to ensure it's something useful most of the time; though of course, there won't always be a two type card in full random games so you have to make it happen, so this loses a little cleanness there. Needs playtesting with Tunnel and Faithful Hound too.
Overall: Make adding a VP mandatory when there are none. That someone's investment on one turn can yield no reward (Tunnel exempt) will probably make this have a limited audience; I for one don't like that.

Surveil/Beacon (spineflu)
Event, $2 +1 Buy, look at the top card of your deck, discard, trash or put it back, if you've trashed 3 or more cards this turn take Beacon and put deck into discard pile.
Artifact, when you shuffle you may first trash a card from your discard pile. Play with your deck face up.

The change to 1 card look $2 cost makes things so much better, not just for balance but now the Beacon has a lot more to do with trashing, both with the shuffle trash and knowing the top card of the deck. The idea of an Artifact that flips the deck over had crossed my mind; one could look through their whole deck (whilst the other players should just see the top), bottom card becomes top, but you'd have to ensure they can't look during shuffling so they can't get the order just right. Taking it calls for a fun twist on trashing, losing several cards during the same turn whilst still producing $2 so Chapel and Count aren't so relevant.
Overall: this makes trashing fun. The concept is great, but I wonder if the Beacon couldn't be changed to be an always relevant effect. If you trash to take it the shuffle trashing might not be needed, and sometimes knowing your deck makes no real difference outside of peace of mind.

Mining/Pick (Doom_Shark)
Event, $3, trash a card from your hand and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it, if you trashed a card costing $4 or more take Pick.
Artifact, when you trash a card you may gain a card costing less than it.

Mining is similarly powerful in the opening; it does work against the normally superior 5/2 starts, but losing 2 Estates will be a much more marked difference in deck power. Later on you can change Golds to Provinces and pick up some Duchies with the Pick, and this will really be the main reason to compete for the Pick. Winning by pile driving is another reason.
Overall: it's neat how the Pick comes in late when one would want it, and the competition for it to pick up Duchies is quite interesting, but the starting game will be pretty automatic.

Revolution/Guillotine (grep)
Event, $4, gain a card costing up to $5 and a Ruins, take Guillotine.
Artifact, at the start of your turn trash a card from your hand, if an Action +1VP.

This looks like one influential Event. You get a $5 and a Cathedral for $4, with a Ruins to get around. The early game could be really affected by this, particularly when the other trashing in the game is weak; yet the more one competes for it the more they undo their trashing with the Ruins. When there is other trashing to handle the starting deck, the Guillotine can be a setback later if it misses the Ruins with nothing else bad to trash. Buying late Revolutions will be about Duchies and cashing Actions in for VP, generally creating an easier Duchy dance at $4 cost but risking big loss of deck functionality.
Overall: every positive to getting this is set back by something negative, so there's great strategic depth here. Every negative is self-imposed, so things feel fine when they go wrong. Player interactivity is created by the threat of one thinning and possibly gaining VP. It's a contender.

Five Year Plan/Communism (majiponi)
Event, $3 +1 Buy, take Communism.
Artifact, this turn put 2 of your cards onto your deck in any order when you discard them from play.

Save $3 to Scheme 2 things. It'll be something to consider building around for late game, or possibly going for Duchy instead of province if it will potentially turn things round. It may be competed for during mid game building with spare $3s or to save a dud next turn.
Overall: simple and sound, and it creates some competitiveness. $2 cost might be better, but maybe this is better balanced. A contender.

Reconnoitre/Compass (mandioca15)
Event, $5, if you gained a Victory this turn take the Compass. Otherwise +1VP and trash a card from the Supply.
Artifact, at the start of your turn discard up to 2 cards then draw that many.

It's either Salt the Earth for any Supply pile or take a cantrip cellar-for-2-cards start of turn effect. The former probably is worth $5 for being a 'better' version of the Event. Compass is certainly handy to have and worth competing for, but for $5 and a gained Victory? Letting the Victory gain determine which option makes good sense, the greening can be sifted through with Compass, so the Salt the Earth bit bumping up the $ cost I'd say is holding competing for the Compass back.
Overall: change the no-Victory-gain option to something else that's cheaper, and I think it'll be a great design.

Subscribe/Floating Trophy (grrgrrgrr)
Event, $5, gain a card costing up to $4, move your Trophy token to its pile (when you play a third card from its pile during your turns, take Floating Trophy).
Artifact, at the start of your Buy phase +1VP.

Set up a way to take the Trophy, and if you run an engine playing the 3 cards each turn get 1 VP each turn. It'll be a race to start with to see who can get the first VP, who can get ahead, which can be fun (and whilst Treasures can take the Trophy Actions are way better). Later on shuffle randomness might become a factor affecting the swing.
Overall: a little too affected by chance to be consistently fun.

Warfare/Holy Land (Fragasnap)
Event, $3, take Holy Land, trash Victory card with lowest cost in $ from the Supply.
Artifact, when you gain a Victory each other player may trash a card costing at least $3 from their hand, if they do they draw a card, if they don't they gain Curse.

Pay $3 to have a means of attacking that bypasses Moat variants. It's a pure 'attack' like Sea Hag where the self advantage seems to be about 3-pile strategies, or a way to possibly get further ahead with your Provinces and Duchies with a spare $3 mid-late game. How often will the possibility of getting nothing out of the $3 investment deter someone from trying it? Unless they want to imply a forced $3 to someone else anyway.
Overall: the way this enhances rush strategies might be nice, though such games seem to be rare. And I guess this really adds player interactivity, but...it's hard for a softie like me to imagine enjoying this.

Liturgy/Confessional (NoMoreFun)
Event, $3 +2 Buys, take Confessional.
Artifact, when you gain a card you may trash a card from your hand.

One of two consecutive 'buy splitting' entries. This one is more expensive and looks to Monastery some cards away. Well, it would do if it could trash Coppers in play, and because it can't Confessional won't be immediately useful very often.
Overall: I would prefer to put Travelling Fair in the game than this, the $1 extra cost doesn't pay for anything much more than the top-decking effect. Put the Copper trashing on and it would make quite a lot more competitiveness.

Flattery/Signet Ring (naitchman)
Event, $2 +2 Buys, take Signet Ring.
Artifact, Forbidden cards are in the Supply your turns, setup add an extra kingdom pile costing $4 or more, this is the Forbidden pile and isn't in the Supply.

This buy splitter grants access to an extra pile if nobody else uses it before the buyer's next turn, or lets them securely buy from the pile straight away for $2 more cost. How impactful this is depends on what the extra pile is.
Overall: it's quite nice, but the Forbidden pile ideally needs to be selected manually rather than randomised to ensure it's meaningful. Only a minor setback, just if one of the players sets up the game they get a head start having to think of the game's interactions to choose a good pile.

Accolade/Sword (Commodore Chuckles)
Event, $0, if there's no debt on this take <6> and put it on this (it remains yours), and take Sword, gain a Ruins and 2 cards costing up to $4.
Artifact, at the start of your turn play an Action from your hand, trash it and gain one costing exactly $1 more.

After someone buys this nobody else can until the debt has all been paid. Whilst this ensures one use of the sword for the buyer, it also gives them a way to keep possession of it; this could make for a potentially strong building and piling strategy. Player 1 could open with this twice for 4 $4s, 2 Ruins and 5 debt, so also a fair amount of building to $5s or Ruins trashing his Sword could do, and nobody else could get a lookin. Hard to tell for sure if this would be a sure-win scenario, but it seems a bit strong in some cases.
Overall: Sword might be a nice Artifact (if players are OK with the interaction with Durations that Procession recently lost), but Accolade I'm convinced needs work.

Excavation/Holy Relic (ShadowHawk)
Event, $3, Trash 2 Treasures you have in play and a Victory costing $3 or more from your hand. If you did, take the Holy Relic.
Artifact, when you first play an Action on each of your turns, add 1 to each denominative bonus (+1 Card, +1 Action, etc) in its text.

Excavation needs a way to give proof of a Victory costing $3+ in hand, because it's not optional. You could add '(or reveal you can't)' to as it is, but do you want this to be able to work like Bonfire for Treasures, trashing them from play without having the Victory in hand? Or, do you reveal the Victory from hand first, then trash it and the 2 Treasures, then, 'if you trashed 3 cards, take the Holy Relic'? The latter feels more appropriate to me. I also take the Relic to add 1 to every bonus in the ability of the card above and below the line, and every scaling amount of '+1 per…' (Vault, Goons VP) to be doubled. There are some scary combos here (Groundskeeper, City Quarter, Goons), but this adds impetus to buy a Victory to get the Relic.
Overall: if I have the intent of the cards right, this is a good way to get a powerful Artifact, gaining a useless card to trash on a later turn (Artisan exempt) or forcing opponents to lose late greens if they are to have it. But I have to figuratively deduct points for the way Excavation currently is.

Decompose/Compost (hhelibebcnofnena)
Event, $2 +1 Buy, take Compost.
Artifact, at the end of your turn (after drawing) trash a card from your hand.

One use of Cathedral may not quite be worth $2, considering the one turn hold scenario, but you're also buying it off someone else so there's competitive value. If someone's left with the Compost, they probably have to have good things in hand to trash to it later, so there's always that risk for them to consider.
Overall: simple and effective, consistent yet balanced and interesting competitiveness in almost every game. It's a contender.

Unleash/Curio (Kudasai)
Event, $0, once per game: +1 Action +1 Buy, put deck and discard pile into hand, return to Action phase, take Curio.
Artifact, when you gain a card take your -$1 token.

You referenced my Exhibit and Emblem, that's nice! I guess that's where the idea for this contest came from, thinking of them. Still, there's a responsibility to get this judgment right…
Players look to unleash a mega turn when they've collected sufficient payload, mainly money and Buys. Or it could be used in an engine when the turn enablers (drawing, villages) fail to show up in the starting hand, so it has nice usability. The Curio, though, I feel would be better taking 1 debt rather than the -$1 token, as buying several cards has no setback as is (you don't produce any $ after you play all your Treasures). It would make timing this more significant, and might better keep a rather boring pure money and Buys strategy in check.
Overall: it's nearly something great, just that a big buildup strategy to a grand final turn or close to final turn will mean Curio doesn't hurt much.

Land Surveying/Map (DEGwer)
Event, $4, if you don't have the Map take it, if you have the Map gain a Victory.
Artifact, at the start of Clean-up put your -1 Card token on your deck.

Firstly, welcome to the forum and the contest. You definitely want to swap the 'if you have the Map' and 'if you don't' bits around, otherwise Provinces and Colonies cost $4. As majiponi explained, you'll always have the Map when you get to that instruction. Put the other way round, Provinces still cost $8 but with 2 Buys, but so will Colonies, so it's not good in them being there when buys are available; this will always be the mandatory strategy, and that will take much of the interest of that game away. If you added 'once per turn' usage that would take a lot of the craziness away, but might still be too intense an effect to not contest, even on a late Duchy turn.
Overall: reducing the cost of Victory cards is a very volatile effect, so doing it by a whole $4 or $7 without the effort of 4 or 7 Bridges in play is imbalanced without question. Hope this isn't too hard hitting for your first time, but here's a design principle to remember in future.

Infusion/Cauldron (scolapasta)
Event, P +1 Buy, trash a card you have in play for + $1 per $2 it costs, if it costs $4 or more take Cauldron, then play any number of Treasures from your hand.
Artifact, Potions have "Choose one: +P; or + $3".

The Potion cost of the Event is a great idea in this contest, you play the Potion repeatedly to compete for the Artifact. But how many Potions does one get so that they should turn into Gold for deck payload? And seeing that this won't be a permanent feature, why not just get Golds? The half-Salvager bit would work for removing the Potion you used to pay for this, if the Cauldron didn't imply you should try to keep it; otherwise it has a few niche uses.
Overall: I feel Cauldron should do something else, but Infusion is good.

Fishing/Fishing Rod (Gazbag)
Event, $3, If you have Fishing Rod gain a card costing up to $4, otherwise +1 Buy and take Fishing Rod.
Artifact, at the end of your Buy phase put a card from your discard pile onto your deck.

This squeaked into judging by about 2 minutes! I'll be brief so this contest closes nearer to on time. For top-decking things for next turn I prefer Five Year Plan/Communism as it's more definite in its impact, you'd need $3 + a bought card to guarantee a good card in the discard pile.
Overall: not bad, but lacks a little excitement.

Shortlist: Surveil, Revolution, Five Year Plan, Flattery, Decompose, Unleash.

This is really close between 3 to me, so I've put 2 runners-up.

Winner: Decompose/Compost by hhelibebcnofnena.
Runners-up: Revolution/Guillotine by grep, Five Year Plan/Communism by majiponi.

Whilst Decompose might look rather un-innovative next to Cathedral, it's doing everything I perceive an Artifact should do in making interaction and strategic decisions based on what opponents are doing. Choosing not to buy it off someone to potentially harm them gave it the edge over Five Year Plan, whilst Revolution has great strategic depth but could pressure pile emptying if Guillotine is heavily contested.
Congrats, and nice to see people who haven't hosted before up there.

segura

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: October 15, 2019, 10:29:14 am »

Decompose/Compost (hhelibebcnofnena)
Event, $2 +1 Buy, take Compost.
Artifact, at the end of your turn (after drawing) trash a card from your hand.

One use of Cathedral may not quite be worth $2, considering the one turn hold scenario, but you're also buying it off someone else so there's competitive value. If someone's left with the Compost, they probably have to have good things in hand to trash to it later, so there's always that risk for them to consider.
Overall: simple and effective, consistent yet balanced and interesting competitiveness in almost every game. It's a contender.
I don't wanna diss the design, it is simple and neat. But it is also often forced (T1 to trash before the shuffle unless you open CCCCC) and thus unlikely to be balanced:
Hovel is the only one that changed. Originally it was an action you could trash by discarding your hand. It turned out that trashing it turn 1-2 usually seemed like the correct play, even if you drew it with four Coppers.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=4318.0

This isn't surprising, if you are often willing to pay $3 (Bonfire) in the opening to get rid of 2 Coppers (and actually decrease the economic power of your deck for the next shuffle!) you are likely to often pay $2 to get rid of a dead card.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3770 on: October 15, 2019, 11:41:01 am »

Congrats hheli, grep, majiponi!

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: October 15, 2019, 02:12:40 pm »
+1

@Aquila: Curio was essentially supposed to be "All cards cost $1 more", but I decided to implement that using the -$1 token. I can see now that they do not function the same. Oops! Thanks for the feedback!

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: October 15, 2019, 02:15:23 pm »

Good notice, but agreed, it is not common knowledge nor used. What about this phrasing: "The first time you play an Action card during each of your turns, add 1 to each denominated bonus (+ Cards, + Coffers, +$, etc.) in its text."?

I'm partial to Special terms since the manual uses it. However, denominated terms is more intuitive. Either way  I think the parentheses on both make it clear what's going on.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: October 15, 2019, 02:39:37 pm »

Congrats to hhelibebcnofnena, grep and majiponi  :)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: October 15, 2019, 07:55:46 pm »
+1

Wow, thanks, Aquila!

I have to say, I didn't consider what would happen if I won this. I don't think I'm going to have time for judging in the next week, unfortunately, as October is one of my busiest months. I will have to pass this chance up. Aquila, who would you say is the second place for this week?
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.