Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547839 times)

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3650 on: September 29, 2019, 05:30:44 pm »
+3

Thank you Commodore Chuckles

Challenge #46: But it wasn't even your turn!

Design a card (shaped thing) that can do one of the following things on another players turn:
  • Increase your VP (either with VP chips, an alt-VP formula, or other means) and/or decrease the VP of other players
  • Give you a say in when the game ends (eg it can gain a card, prevent gains, return a card to the supply, etc.)

The idea behind this challenge is cards that change the endgame so that players need to think about more than their own deck's capacity to gain a VP lead and end the game, because other players have cards that will change the VP balance, or it might not be up to them whether the game is going to end on a given turn. Cards which add a level of complexity to the endgame, while still being fun and fair, will have the best chance of winning.

Would the following format be accepted?

"At the start of your next turn, while this was in play, if any player condition, take reward."

This technically gives you something on your turn and not your opponents, but it is conditional on something happening during your opponents turn.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: September 29, 2019, 09:42:16 pm »

When designing a reaction, always remember that there is no limit on how often you reveal a Reaction. Also, just remove the non-submissions altogether.

I'm aware. That's the idea. Just like how some of these moral panics got out of hand, this too can do the same. The card does permit a player to not reveal if they don't wish to.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: September 29, 2019, 09:43:42 pm »
+1

Bonfire of Vanities, Action - Reaction - Attack, Costs $3
+2 Cards. Trash a card from your hand.
-
When another player gains a Kingdom card, you may reveal this from your hand to trash one card from that Kingdom card pile in the Supply.

Fixed the prior submission. hhelibebcnofnena said I can only submit one. So, for the purposes of the contest, I'll submit Bonfire of Vanities.

There's no rule saying that you can only reveal a given Reaction card once per triggering event, so when somebody gains a Kingdom card, you could just reveal the same Bonfire of Vanities numerous times to empty that pile.
what's the Attack part of this? Could one player stop the supply-trashing by having a moat?

Good point. Since it did damage to the supply, I thought Attack should be in the heading. I can take it out though so that it does not react with other Reactions. Will update.

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: September 29, 2019, 10:39:23 pm »

Bonfire of Vanities, Action - Reaction - Attack, Costs $3
+2 Cards. Trash a card from your hand.
-
When another player gains a Kingdom card, you may reveal this from your hand to trash one card from that Kingdom card pile in the Supply.

Fixed the prior submission. hhelibebcnofnena said I can only submit one. So, for the purposes of the contest, I'll submit Bonfire of Vanities.

There's no rule saying that you can only reveal a given Reaction card once per triggering event, so when somebody gains a Kingdom card, you could just reveal the same Bonfire of Vanities numerous times to empty that pile.
what's the Attack part of this? Could one player stop the supply-trashing by having a moat?

Good point. Since it did damage to the supply, I thought Attack should be in the heading. I can take it out though so that it does not react with other Reactions. Will update.

As a general rule, attacks affect all other players. Possession, for example, really feels like it should be an attack, but since it only affects the player to your left, it isn't one.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: September 29, 2019, 11:55:52 pm »
+1

Would the following format be accepted?

"At the start of your next turn, while this was in play, if any player condition, take reward."

This technically gives you something on your turn and not your opponents, but it is conditional on something happening during your opponents turn.

Go for it
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 01:32:29 am by NoMoreFun »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: September 30, 2019, 05:27:50 am »
+3

Young Artisan
cost $2 - Action - Reserve
+1 Action
Put this on your tavern mat.
---
When another player gains a Province, you may call this to gain a card costing up to $4 into your hand.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: September 30, 2019, 08:32:48 pm »
+3

CHALLENGE #46 - BUT IT WASN'T EVEN YOUR TURN - SUBMISSION

Changes: v0.2 - Changed the choice to just one card/position choice. I like two to three choices better, but one has less chance of overwhelming players. Less opportunity to score VP points, but even a 2VP token swing can drastically change the end game.

Examples: A player can choose Market 4. Market being the Kingdom card and 4 being the card position from the top. If another player (not you) gains the 4th Market, you reveal your secretly recorded note and you get 4VP tokens. More tokens are rewarded the further down a pile you choose as the risk is often greater. You can call the 10th Market going and maybe it never gets gained!

A few things to clarify:
-Card position - The top card of a pile is card position #1, the next card is card position #2 and so on.
-Secretly record - Can be any means of recording a card and position. Paper and pen or a phone work best.
-Kingdom cards - These are the 10 random cards selected for each game. They do not include the standard Victory cards and standard Treasure cards. So for instance you cannot choose the Province pile for Blockade.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg811873#msg811873
Blockade -Landmark
At the start of the game, secretly record 3 different Kingdom card piles and positions (from the top of that pile). When another player gains a card/position you recorded, reveal it for +1VP equal to its position.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:25:43 pm by Kudasai »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: September 30, 2019, 09:41:04 pm »

Jetty • $5  • Action - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.
-
If the game would end while this is in play, there is an additional round of turns for players with Jetty in play, during which Jetty reads "+2 Cards."
Made a Wharf-Fleet hybrid; I think I got the wording (and self-shapeshifting) right so there aren't infinite Jetty turns at the end of the game. Lemme know if that wording works or not, yeah?
Name taken from this post that I saw like five years ago:

I don't think this needs the end bit "during which Jetty reads as +2 Cards." Jetty already gives +2 Cards on play.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: October 01, 2019, 12:11:13 am »
+2

Here's my submission:

You decide to buy yourself a nice piece of country property. However, when you see your rival kings buying up provinces and duchies, you decide to rip apart the idyllic scene and build yourself a castle or something.

Originally, the card didn't have the "+1 Card" when you trashed it, but I thought that was too strong for $4, too weak for $5, so now trashing it gets a dead card out of your hand and doesn't reduce your handsize.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: October 01, 2019, 01:35:16 am »

My submission:

Abomination
$2 Action - Attack - Reaction - Curse
-1VP
+2 Cards, +1 Buy. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card.
---
When you discard this other than during Clean-Up, you may trash this instead.

A Moat-like attacker you want to get rid of eventually. Happily, it's vulnerable to its own attack.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:17:09 am by grep »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3660 on: October 01, 2019, 02:48:35 am »
+1

My submission:

Abomination
-1VP
+2 Cards, +1 Buy. Each other player discards down to 4 cards.
---

A Moat-like attacker you want to get rid of eventually. Happily, it's vulnerable to its own attack.

The text in your description does not match the text on the image.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3661 on: October 01, 2019, 08:47:37 am »

-
If the game would end while this is in play, there is an additional round of turns for players with Jetty in play, during which Jetty reads "+2 Cards."
Made a Wharf-Fleet hybrid; I think I got the wording (and self-shapeshifting) right so there aren't infinite Jetty turns at the end of the game. Lemme know if that wording works or not, yeah?

I don't think this needs the end bit "during which Jetty reads as +2 Cards." Jetty already gives +2 Cards on play.
right but during the Jetty turn, if someone plays Jetty, it would trigger an additional Jetty turn if it didn't have that clause. Would it be less ambiguous if it said "there is only one round of Jetty turns"?

also @Kudasai - you've got a typo in your card image - "Kindom card"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:27:09 am by spineflu »

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: October 01, 2019, 10:18:53 am »

Abomination
The text in your description does not match the text on the image.
Thanks, fixed. The image is correct - I decided at the last moment to weaken the attack a little.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: October 01, 2019, 10:53:05 am »
+1

My submission:

Abomination
-1VP
+2 Cards, +1 Buy. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a card.
---

Recommend removing the type "Curse"; it only adds rules confusion with things like Witch any other Curser... the rules don't define if you would be able to gain this when told to gain a Curse. There's a reason that Curse is the only card in Dominion with the type Curse.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: October 01, 2019, 03:19:36 pm »
+1

Examples: A player can choose Market 4. Market being the Kingdom card and 4 being the card position from the top. If another player (not you) gains the 4th Market, you reveal your secretly recorded note and you get 4VP tokens. More tokens are rewarded the further down a pile you choose as the risk is often greater. You can call the 10th Market going and maybe it never gets gained!

A few things to clarify:
-Card position - The top card of a pile is card position #1, the next card is card position #2 and so on.
-Secretly record - Can be any means of recording a card and position. Paper and pen or a phone work best.
-Kingdom cards - These are the 10 random cards selected for each game. They do not include the standard Victory cards and standard Treasure cards. So for instance you cannot choose the Province pile for Blockade.
-Kingdom card piles must be different and card positions must be different. So if you choose say Market 4, you cannot then choose Smithy 4 as the 4th card position can only be chosen once.

Blockade -Landmark
At the start of the game, secretly record 3 different Kingdom card piles and positions (from the top of that pile). When another player gains a card/position you recorded, reveal it for +1VP equal to its position.
While I'm not sure I can identify the equilibrium strategy, "the first time" only adds one word to the card and is probably overall helpful with respect to the concerning possible disincentive to ever buy Province in an Ambassador game.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: October 01, 2019, 03:30:58 pm »

A few things to clarify:
-Kingdom card piles must be different and card positions must be different. So if you choose say Market 4, you cannot then choose Smithy 4 as the 4th card position can only be chosen once.

Blockade -Landmark
While I'm not sure I can identify the equilibrium strategy, "the first time" only adds one word to the card and is probably overall helpful with respect to the concerning possible disincentive to ever buy Province in an Ambassador game.

Yes, Ambassador makes it possible to gain the same card/position twice or more in a game. Is this bad? I'm not sure, but I kind of like the interaction. It will rarely come up and even so once a player has revealed their card/position for VP points, everyone will know not to gain that card. This could lead to blocking piles, but again I kind of like this niche strategy.

As for the Province comment I don't follow.

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: October 01, 2019, 03:32:57 pm »
+1

-

right but during the Jetty turn, if someone plays Jetty, it would trigger an additional Jetty turn if it didn't have that clause. Would it be less ambiguous if it said "there is only one round of Jetty turns"?

also @Kudasai - you've got a typo in your card image - "Kindom card"

Thanks for the typo catch and yes, I now see what you're saying about Jetty. I think it's less ambiguous to go with your "there is only one round of Jetty extra turns" phrasing!

As for the card, I do like the balance of it. Wharf without buys for the same price is strictly worse, but if you can get that extra turn it could be worth it. The value of that extra turn doesn't necessarily go up with each purchase though. So given two players who both get the same value out of their extra turn, a player who can manage say 2 of these versus a player who has 3 or more will technically be getting a better value. That makes sense right? Or am I way off? Anyways, I think this card is very straight forward and easy to understand, but offers a lot of subtle yet complex strategy. Very nice!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:41:45 pm by Kudasai »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: October 01, 2019, 04:39:33 pm »

Thank you! I updated the wording on the original post.
As far as pricing, I was thinking a lot about how RTT said buying Fleet was like buying green but a little different; I think this has some similar timing but can also be a good kickstart for an engine if you hit 5 early.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:44:26 pm by spineflu »

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: October 01, 2019, 05:37:33 pm »
+1

Challenge #46 - But It Wasn’t Even Your Turn, my submission.

Royal Pardon, Action - Reserve - Reaction, $4

Trash the top card of each supply pile with 3 to 7 cards. Put this on your Tavern mat.

When a supply pile is emptied, you may discard this from your hand or your Tavern mat. If you do, name a card in the trash that you haven’t named with Royal Pardon before, then return all cards with that name from the trash to the supply.

FAQ:
  • A supply pile can be emptied at least by someone gaining the last card, trashing it, or setting it aside (with Inheritance).
  • If several players want to react to a pile being emptied the normal priority order is followed and maybe there is no card left to name for a later player.
  • You may name a card in the trash that doesn't come from the supply (if you haven't named it before), for example Spoils or Princess. Then no cards are returned to the supply. For piles with differently named cards they may end up in a different order when being returned to the supply (as with Ambassador).

You can get a lot of money early to buy expensive things you want, like King's Court or Platinum, and later it will almost surely be enough for a Province, giving even more money than Death Cart, but it's almost a one-shot. Then at the end of the game it can affect the endgame both by making it harder to three-pile and to maybe return Provinces when its pile is emptied. It trashes "popular" cards when played to make it more often piles are emptied and to put some interesting stuff in the trash that can be returned. The "if you haven't named it before" condition is to avoid loops. Yes, the Curses can be brought back several times, but only once per player.

[Edit October 4: Changed which cards are trashed when Royal Pardon is played to care about number of cards but not about cost. Old version is here.]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 01:55:54 pm by pst »

grep

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: October 01, 2019, 06:01:18 pm »
+1

-
If the game would end while this is in play, there is an additional round of turns for players with Jetty in play. (There is only one round of extra turns from Jetty)

How would Jetty interact with Fleet? The order of extra turns matters.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: October 01, 2019, 06:30:03 pm »

-
If the game would end while this is in play, there is an additional round of turns for players with Jetty in play. (There is only one round of extra turns from Jetty)

How would Jetty interact with Fleet? The order of extra turns matters.

Fleet turns happen first, I think. Jetties in play during the original end-of-game and played during the Fleet turn both count toward that player getting a Jetty turn. I think this would have to be covered in the rulebook FAQ.

added FAQ errata to original post.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:22:44 pm by spineflu »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: October 01, 2019, 08:15:24 pm »
+1

Dueling Witch
Action-Attack-Reaction

+1 Buy
Each other player gains a Curse.
----------------------------------------------------
When any player gains a card (including you), you may reveal this from your hand to return a copy of that card to the supply from your hand or the top of your discard pile, then discard this.

Changed the bonus to +1 Buy from +2 Cards, so that it wouldn't be strictly better than Witch on a board with both of them.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: October 01, 2019, 09:43:33 pm »
+1

Sorry, the card generator site isn't loading for me right now so I'll use text:

Armorsmith
Action - Victory - $5
Worth 2 VP
+3 Cards
Discard a card.
------------------
In games using this, when another player gains a Province, you may gain an Armorsmith.

Try to build a deck with this awkward draw-sifter, or leave the pile untouched and let your opponent leech points off you when you're greening. The choice is yours!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: October 02, 2019, 11:36:06 am »
+1

A few things to clarify:

Blockade -Landmark

Yes, Ambassador makes it possible to gain the same card/position twice or more in a game. Is this bad? I'm not sure, but I kind of like the interaction. It will rarely come up and even so once a player has revealed their card/position for VP points, everyone will know not to gain that card. This could lead to blocking piles, but again I kind of like this niche strategy.

My thinking is you select Duchess 10, piledrive the Duchesses, and hand them out to your opponent one at a time.  Your opponent will not "know not to gain the card", they should gain the card to hold you to 50 points instead of 100.
If both players select Duchess 10 I have no idea what happens but I'm scared.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: October 02, 2019, 12:52:08 pm »

A few things to clarify:

Blockade -Landmark

My thinking is you select Duchess 10, piledrive the Duchesses, and hand them out to your opponent one at a time.  Your opponent will not "know not to gain the card", they should gain the card to hold you to 50 points instead of 100.
If both players select Duchess 10 I have no idea what happens but I'm scared.

if multiple players select Duchess 10, only the players who didn't gain the 10th Duchess get the +10vp
This landmark will play very differently with junkers vs without (but not Looters/Ruins - who'd make that gamble, that card 10 in the Ruin deck was a Ruined Market?); Idk if I dig the duality with it or if you'd want to change it to "when another player buys the card at that position" to make it more straightforward than "oh how can I throw the 12th Silver at my opponent"
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 [147] 148 149 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.