Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546304 times)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3625 on: September 28, 2019, 09:19:30 pm »
+2

Just wondering, do cards like trader, or watchtower count? (They don't gain or return cards, they prevent you from gaining cards which also affects the end game)
What about tomb (even though it doesn't always give you vp on your turn, it makes it possible with cards like swindler)?

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: September 28, 2019, 09:34:33 pm »

Dueling Witch
Action-Reaction

Each other player gains a Curse.
----------------------------------------------------
When any player gains a card (including you), you may discard this from your hand to return a copy of that card to the supply from your hand or the top of your discard pile.

The reaction by itself isn't great, but the presence of this card gives you a reason to pick it up for the reaction, because this is its own defense.

You probably want to have the discard come after returning the card (maybe set aside in between), otherwise the curse won't be on top of the discard pile anymore.

Thanks, I missed that. Fixed.
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #46: But it Wasn't Even Your Turn!
« Reply #3627 on: September 28, 2019, 09:45:22 pm »
+1

EDIT: This is no longer my submission.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 12:40:50 am by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: September 28, 2019, 10:35:05 pm »

Dueling Witch
Action-Reaction

When any player gains a card (including you), you may reveal this to return a copy of that card to the supply from your hand or the top of your discard pile, then discard this.

The reaction has to specify "reveal this from your hand."
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: September 28, 2019, 11:41:01 pm »

Dueling Witch
Action-Reaction

When any player gains a card (including you), you may reveal this to return a copy of that card to the supply from your hand or the top of your discard pile, then discard this.

The reaction has to specify "reveal this from your hand."

Fixed!
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3630 on: September 28, 2019, 11:44:37 pm »
+2

Dueling Witch
Action-Reaction

The reaction by itself isn't great, but the presence of this card gives you a reason to pick it up for the reaction, because this is its own defense.

Previous version had you discard this first, which was an oversight.

First off, this wants the Attack type. Secondly, DXV has said that players don't like attacks that don't give you something else, and I personally don't think that the reaction is enough of a something else. Just a thought.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: September 29, 2019, 12:20:51 am »
+1

Outside of alt-vp or colony games, this feels better than duchy. I'll probably just save all of my totems until the end and cash them out when my opponent buys his last province (probably last or 2nd to last province bought). As long as you play right, it's not likely you'll get left with these on the mat. So basically totem is worth 4 points (to duchy's 3), isn't a dead card in your deck (unlike duchy), and in the event where you need some fodder for TfB, totem can be called early and trashed without losing VP (unlike duchy).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: September 29, 2019, 01:43:29 am »

Just wondering, do cards like trader, or watchtower count? (They don't gain or return cards, they prevent you from gaining cards which also affects the end game)
What about tomb (even though it doesn't always give you vp on your turn, it makes it possible with cards like swindler)?

Yes to the reactions - they can influence the endgame on a turn that isn't yours.

Tomb would also not be disqualified. Alt-VP cards count too (eg Feodum counts, since you can gain Silvers not on your turn with reactions like Trader and Beggar).

Just a general point though that I would prefer that the central idea of the challenge not be an "edge case" for the card you design. If your card is great, but it's a puzzle to figure out when and how it influences the endgame on a turn that isn't yours, it's not going to do very well this round.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:53:31 am by NoMoreFun »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: September 29, 2019, 05:39:15 am »

Outside of alt-vp or colony games, this feels better than duchy. I'll probably just save all of my totems until the end and cash them out when my opponent buys his last province (probably last or 2nd to last province bought). As long as you play right, it's not likely you'll get left with these on the mat. So basically totem is worth 4 points (to duchy's 3), isn't a dead card in your deck (unlike duchy), and in the event where you need some fodder for TfB, totem can be called early and trashed without losing VP (unlike duchy).
So? Distant Lands is nearly always better than Duchy.
I don't think that the card is particularly exciting, being a bit like a reverse Distant Lands (instead of leaving your deck, it starts out of deck and somewhen enters your deck). But being often better than Duchy is definitely not an argument against it.
Also, play isn't as simple as you made it out: in pile-emptying situations, whoever bought too many Totems can be screwed (empty piles, buy Duchies instead of Provinces).

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #46: influence endgame on turn other than yours
« Reply #3634 on: September 29, 2019, 08:28:24 am »
+1

Edit: cost reduced to $4. Feels like a better price, at the risk of making it more relevant early so deviating a little from the endgame brief.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 04:01:24 pm by Aquila »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: September 29, 2019, 09:55:25 am »

Dueling Witch
Action-Reaction

First off, this wants the Attack type. Secondly, DXV has said that players don't like attacks that don't give you something else, and I personally don't think that the reaction is enough of a something else. Just a thought.

Clearly, I haven't done this recently enough. For now, I'll bump the cost up to and add +2 Cards.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: September 29, 2019, 09:56:15 am »
+1

Persecutor (Action) [$4]

+$2
+1 Buy

Move your Exiled token to a Supply pile. The game also ends when this pile empties.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3637 on: September 29, 2019, 09:58:45 am »

mmm after you call it, it is a dead card (unless there's some other card that lets you put it on your tavern mat) but still agree on all other points (better than duchy, tfb fodder)

Dueling Witch
Action-Reaction

Clearly, I haven't done this recently enough. For now, I'll bump the cost up to and add +2 Cards.

....but then its strictly better than witch
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 09:59:56 am by spineflu »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: September 29, 2019, 11:08:46 am »

Repurpose
$6 - Project

When another player buys a card, you may return a non-Treasure card from your hand to the supply. If you did, gain a cheaper card, then +1 card.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:57:35 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: September 29, 2019, 11:29:50 am »

Dueling Witch
Action-Reaction

....but then its strictly better than witch

I don't think so, because there is guaranteed to be a defense on the board for Dueling Witch. When playing with Witch, often the only defense is to let is cycle back through your deck and trash it. There is not often a Watchtower/Moat/Guardian/Lighthouse type card. Here, there is guaranteed to be a Watchtower-like defense on the board.

Although that said, if they are on the same board, it is actually strictly better. Huh. + instead, maybe? Or +1 Card +? Just +1 Card, or +? I think it becomes to unbalanced after increasing the cost to , or making it non-terminal, so those are out. What about giving it +1 Buy?

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: September 29, 2019, 12:38:28 pm »
+2

Persecutor (Action) [$4]

+$2
+1 Buy

Move your Exiled token to a Supply pile. The game also ends when this pile empties.

This wants to be an Event, I think.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: September 29, 2019, 12:54:23 pm »
+1

Jetty • $5  • Action - Duration
Now and at the start of your next turn, +2 Cards.
-
If the game would end while this is in play, there is an additional round of turns for players with Jetty in play. (There is only one round of extra turns from Jetty)
Made a Wharf-Fleet hybrid; I think I got the wording (and self-shapeshifting) right so there aren't infinite Jetty turns at the end of the game. Lemme know if that wording works or not, yeah?
Name taken from this post that I saw like five years ago:

FAQ: When playing with this and Fleet, extra turns from Fleet happen first. Having a Jetty in play during the original end of game or during the end of the Fleet turn qualifies a player for the Jetty turn.
Updates: modified the wording to specify there are not infinite Jetty turns at the end of the game if you can keep it in play. Added FAQ errata to describe how this works with Fleet.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:22:05 pm by spineflu »

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: September 29, 2019, 02:10:16 pm »

Royal Demesne, Action - Duration, Costs $4
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Card and +$1.
-
While this is in play,
when another player gains a Victory card costing $4 or more, +1%.

After sleeping on it, Bonfire of Vanities is still broken and needs to be reworked. I'm returning to Royal Demesne.
The card reduces the advantage of a Duchy, Province or Colony by 1 Victory per card, and if an alt-VP Victory card is present, that one too. But only if this card is in play. To prevent the card from playing another RD, I replaced the +1 Action with +1 Card.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:46:57 am by ShadowHawk »

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: September 29, 2019, 02:13:44 pm »

Since I'm new to this, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to attempt both options or if I can only present one.
Executioner, Action - Attack, Costs $4
+$2. Select a Kingdom card pile. Trash up to 3 cards from that pile.

You can only have one submission. But also, the second submission can't do anything on another player's turn.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: September 29, 2019, 02:30:14 pm »
+3

New submission is a split pile:

This nerfs Totem in two ways:
1. Totem is on the bottom of a split-pile, and the first card in the pile gets worse when you call your Totems.
2. Only one Totem can be called per Province gained, so your VP from Totems will never outpace the total VP from Provinces other players have.

ShadowHawk

• Baron
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3645 on: September 29, 2019, 02:37:42 pm »

Since I'm new to this, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to attempt both options or if I can only present one.

You can only have one submission. But also, the second submission can't do anything on another player's turn.

Thank you, and good catch, I knew that but forgot while typing it. I didn't like the theme anyway and changed it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:05:21 pm by ShadowHawk »

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: September 29, 2019, 02:54:29 pm »
+1

Here is my submission for this week.  Bargainer is a Woodcutter on-play with a Haggler-like Reaction that can work on other players' turns.  It's similar to Charm, where depending on what you're trying to buy, you sometimes might choose to play it for +$2 and the Buy instead using the Haggler ability.  Unlike Haggler, this can gain VP cards (e.g. Buy Province, gain Duchy), but since you discard the Bargainer, it's less powerful than it seems.  You can also use the reaction on other players' turns to sneak in an extra gain, if you're lucky enough to have it in your hand.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: September 29, 2019, 03:12:46 pm »

Bonfire of Vanities, Action - Reaction - Attack, Costs $3
+2 Cards. Trash a card from your hand.
-
When another player gains a Kingdom card, you may reveal this from your hand to trash one card from that Kingdom card pile in the Supply.

Fixed the prior submission. hhelibebcnofnena said I can only submit one. So, for the purposes of the contest, I'll submit Bonfire of Vanities.

There's no rule saying that you can only reveal a given Reaction card once per triggering event, so when somebody gains a Kingdom card, you could just reveal the same Bonfire of Vanities numerous times to empty that pile.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: September 29, 2019, 03:29:27 pm »

Royal Demesne, Action - Duration, Costs $4
Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Action and +$1. While this is in play, when another player gains a Victory card costing $4 or more, +1%.

-
When another player gains a Kingdom card, you may reveal this from your hand to trash one card from that Kingdom card pile in the Supply.

Fixed the prior submission. hhelibebcnofnena said I can only submit one. So, for the purposes of the contest, I'll submit Bonfire of Vanities.

When designing a reaction, always remember that there is no limit on how often you reveal a Reaction. Also, just remove the non-submissions altogether.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: September 29, 2019, 03:35:36 pm »

-

There's no rule saying that you can only reveal a given Reaction card once per triggering event, so when somebody gains a Kingdom card, you could just reveal the same Bonfire of Vanities numerous times to empty that pile.
what's the Attack part of this? Could one player stop the supply-trashing by having a moat?
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.