Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547629 times)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3475 on: September 10, 2019, 11:40:39 pm »
+2

Oh wow, my first win. Thanks 4est.

Without further ado:
Challenge #44: Extra! Extra!
There are only 4 cards that give extra turns so far (Possession, Outpost, Mission, and Fleet). Design another card that gives an extra turn. Remember to word it so you can't get infinite turns. In addition, remember that extra turns can be very powerful. Think about how you will limit the turn (just like the official cards do) to balance this.

I'm going to be a bit busy so I'll start judging on Wednesday next week (I'll give the standard 24 hour warning). Good Luck!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:42:55 pm by naitchman »

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: September 11, 2019, 02:52:47 am »
+1

There are only 4 cards that give extra turns so far (Possession, Outpost, Mission, and Fleet). Design another card that gives an extra turn.

Double Shift
Project, $5
After one of your turns in which you gain a Victory card costing more than $5 you get an extra turn. During that extra turn, whenever you would gain a Victory card, instead gain nothing.

A project that isn't interesting until you've started greening, and doesn't help you (directly) with that greening, but still let's you continue to improve your deck so that you can start getting Provinces earlier.

Besides Province the existing Victory cards costing more than $5 are Colony, some Castles, Harem, Nobles, Fairgrounds and Farmland, and they will all result in a bit different Double Shift games. (This could be a welcome big boost for Harem!)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #44: extra turn
« Reply #3477 on: September 11, 2019, 03:32:29 am »
+1

Edit: didn't like the look of plain once per game bonus turn at $5. The strategy with it seemed a mundane 'whenever you could get a Duchy now but better next turn, do it'.
Now this bonus turn comes without the starting Action and at $2 cost; so using it becomes more accessible early, and there's a bit more of a decision when to use it. Early building/speed boost is an option, if you know you won't need the Action, or a later big turn if you can prepare right.
This is in one of my fan expansions; it started as a portrait card that could grant multiple extra turns with no Actions, but Villagers make the setback too easy to get around, being more reliable and consistent than Guide or Cursed Village with Outpost.

Edit 2: removed use of a State (see further down this page) for this contest.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:46:01 pm by Aquila »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: September 11, 2019, 09:33:15 am »

Without further ado:
There are only 4 cards that give extra turns so far (Possession, Outpost, Mission, and Fleet). Design another card that gives an extra turn. Remember to word it so you can't get infinite turns. In addition, remember that extra turns can be very powerful. Think about how you will limit the turn (just like the official cards do) to balance this.

I'm going to be a bit busy so I'll start judging on Wednesday next week (I'll give the standard 24 hour warning). Good Luck!
You didn't list it, but would a card like Villa count?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: September 11, 2019, 09:42:45 am »
+2

There are only 4 cards that give extra turns so far (Possession, Outpost, Mission, and Fleet). Design another card that gives an extra turn.

Double Shift
Project, $5
After one of your turns in which you gain a Victory card costing more than $5 you get an extra turn. During that extra turn, whenever you would gain a Victory card, instead gain nothing.

A project that isn't interesting until you've started greening, and doesn't help you (directly) with that greening, but still let's you continue to improve your deck so that you can start getting Provinces earlier.

Besides Province the existing Victory cards costing more than $5 are Colony, some Castles, Harem, Nobles, Fairgrounds and Farmland, and they will all result in a bit different Double Shift games. (This could be a welcome big boost for Harem!)

Recommend " or more" instead of "more than ". When reading through the card initially I thought Duchies would count because I saw the .
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3480 on: September 11, 2019, 09:52:57 am »

EDIT: this is withdrawn; I'm entering Heir instead (submission updated at http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=18987.msg810942#msg810942)

Witching Hour • $4 • Night - Duration
Each other player draws until they have 7 cards in their hand.
If the previous turn wasn't yours, take an extra turn after this one. Skip your Night phase during that turn.

While this is in play, when you play an Attack card, you get +1 Card, +1 Action instead of the card's instructions, and when you play a Treasure card, you get $1 instead of the card's instructions.

• for sure gives everyone else a 7 card hand - no militia-ing on the next turn (or Hexing on this one) to undo that
  • works best with gainers and funbux, because your money's gonna be envious
  • no double dipping because there's no bonus turn night phase
  • short circuits Capitalism - sorry, they're coppers now.
  • enough drawbacks that this can cost $4? talk me out of this one maybe, or help me justify it, because Outpost is only $5 and that was my model-goal with this.

Revisions:
  • changed cost to $4
  • multi-turn proofed. still skip your night phase on your extra turn.
  • Regardless of whether or not this gives you an extra turn, it still Council Rooms Library's everyone else to 7 cards.
  • Regardless of whether or not this gives you an extra turn, it still Enchantresses your attack cards and Enviouses your treasures.

From Last Contest...
Challenge #43: Design a card (or card-shaped thing) that involves revealing your hand: Commentary & Results
Pearl line by spineflu
I’m impressed by your ambition here, but I’m afraid the line’s complexity stifles the more interesting ideas.  Jeweler’s Silver attack is unique and makes Housebreaker’s attack more likely to hit.  Fence is a weaker Horn of Plenty but why does it need to be a Reaction and use a non-standard exchange condition?  Cartel seems okay, though it feels like a boring way to end the line—just turning your Traveller into some VP chips.

The nonstandard exchange condition (and consequently the reaction) on Fence were to slow down the travelling - maybe you get your Fence when no-one is playing a card that lets you reveal it - it's gotta come around again in the shuffle (ergo Pearl's Chancellor effect).

Cartel needed to be a payoff card more than anything, one that can't be drawn dead (ergo Night) and also hella points (at minimum* on par with Province)
*yeah i guess you could trash down to a four card deck or something but play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Also Jewellers slow down everyones trip through the traveller line, which i thought was kind of novel.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:01:01 am by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3481 on: September 11, 2019, 10:10:43 am »
+1

Witching Hour and Double Shift have an interesting property that makes them different from Outpost and Mission... Outpost and Mission prevent the extra turn with a very explicit "if the previous turn wasn't yours". Witching Hour and Double Shift both instead prevent it by only granting an extra turn under certain circumstances and making those circumstances impossible to happen on their own extra turn.

The upshot of this is that if you have a game with both Witching Hour and Double Shift (or any 2 cards that use a similar mechanism for preventing infinite turns), you can get infinite turns by alternating the two cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3482 on: September 11, 2019, 10:29:11 am »

Edit: didn't like the look of plain once per game bonus turn at $5. The strategy with it seemed a mundane 'whenever you could get a Duchy now but better next turn, do it'.
Now this bonus turn comes without the starting Action and at $2 cost; so using it becomes more accessible early, and there's a bit more of a decision when to use it. Early building boost is an option, if you know you won't need the Action, or a later big turn if you can prepare right.
This is in one of my fan expansions; it started as a portrait card that could grant multiple extra turns with no Action, but Villagers make the setback too easy to get around, being more reliable and consistent than Guide or Cursed Village with Outpost.

So just to be clear, by default, you don't get actions on your bonus turn? Or it takes some ridiculousness with Villa or Villagers to get to have actions on your bonus turn?

Witching Hour and Double Shift have an interesting property that makes them different from Outpost and Mission... Outpost and Mission prevent the extra turn with a very explicit "if the previous turn wasn't yours". Witching Hour and Double Shift both instead prevent it by only granting an extra turn under certain circumstances and making those circumstances impossible to happen on their own extra turn.

The upshot of this is that if you have a game with both Witching Hour and Double Shift (or any 2 cards that use a similar mechanism for preventing infinite turns), you can get infinite turns by alternating the two cards.

huh. should we be accounting for this with our cards? or is this an ok loophole?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:26:55 am by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: September 11, 2019, 10:36:49 am »
+1

huh. should we be accounting for this with our cards? or is this an ok loophole?

I'm torn. On one hand, preventing infinite turns seems like an important thing. On the other hand, the idea of preventing a card from giving you 3 turns in a row by things like skipping your Night phase or preventing the gaining of victory cards seems like a very cool and clever way of limiting the card. And both cards were designed in a world where no other card exists that causes the problem.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: September 11, 2019, 11:06:24 am »

I don't think it's a problem, since as you wrote later, "both cards were designed in a world where no other card exists that causes the problem". Also, to actually be infinite turns with both of these you need not only to gain an expensive Victory card each other turn, but also to return it to the supply in time before depleting those piles ends the game!

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3485 on: September 11, 2019, 12:09:55 pm »
+1

Now this bonus turn comes without the starting Action and at $2 cost; so using it becomes more accessible early, and there's a bit more of a decision when to use it. Early building boost is an option, if you know you won't need the Action, or a later big turn if you can prepare right.
This is in one of my fan expansions; it started as a portrait card that could grant multiple extra turns with no Action, but Villagers make the setback too easy to get around, being more reliable and consistent than Guide or Cursed Village with Outpost.

So just to be clear, by default, you don't get actions on your bonus turn? Or it takes some ridiculousness with Villa or Villagers to get to have actions on your bonus turn?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why not just have Night Shift say:

Once per game: Take another turn after this one in which you start with 0 Actions.

I don't see why you would need the extra state card, since it's only once per game anyway. Functionally, it wouldn't affect a (2nd) buying of Villa the turn you bought Night Shift, but I think that's an OK trade off for the simplification (in fact, I like it better as protection around Villa  shenanigans)

If you want to go even further and handicap Villagers you could even be more strict:

Once per game: Take another turn after this one in which you can't play any Actions.

(though I'm not quite sure of the implications with Action to be played from cards like Prince, Summon, Captain, etc...
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3486 on: September 11, 2019, 01:03:22 pm »

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why not just have Night Shift say:

Once per game: Take another turn after this one in which you start with 0 Actions.

I don't see why you would need the extra state card, since it's only once per game anyway. Functionally, it wouldn't affect a (2nd) buying of Villa the turn you bought Night Shift, but I think that's an OK trade off for the simplification (in fact, I like it better as protection around Villa  shenanigans)

If you want to go even further and handicap Villagers you could even be more strict:

Once per game: Take another turn after this one in which you can't play any Actions.

(though I'm not quite sure of the implications with Action to be played from cards like Prince, Summon, Captain, etc...

You could change it to “Once per game, take an extra turn after this one, in which, when you play an Action, instead ignore its instructions.”
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: September 11, 2019, 03:06:01 pm »

Pact (Project, $8)
For the rest of the game, play 2 turns in a row. When you trash a Copper, move it to the discard.
-
After buying this project, gain 7 Coppers.

EDIT: For those wondering why I say "After buying this project" instead of "when you buy this project", I do this to ensure the Coppers cannot be insta-removed by revealing Watchtower.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:15:40 pm by grrgrrgrr »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3488 on: September 11, 2019, 03:11:18 pm »
+1

Without further ado:

You didn't list it, but would a card like Villa count?

Villa would not count. It needs to actually give an extra turn. The extra turn does not need to be yours (though if you do give your opponents extra turns make sure not to make it lengthen the game too much).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 03:54:08 pm by naitchman »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3489 on: September 11, 2019, 03:37:53 pm »
+1

Heh, in my expansion there are other cards using Exhausted, as a way to achieve using 2 Actions on one card, so if you take it with them you can't use this. But of course, outside the set this suggestion (thanks for the others) is the cleanest. For this contest I'll change it to this.
Villagers, Villa, start of turn Action plays, they're all intended ways around it. Or just a big Buy phase.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: September 11, 2019, 04:34:22 pm »
+2

Bonanza (Event) [$5]

At the end of this turn, if you have unspent coins, take Voyager, and take another turn after this one, where you draw one card per unspent coin for your hand.
---
You can't buy this if you have Voyager.

Voyager (State)

Worth 1VP if you have this at the end of the game.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: September 11, 2019, 06:04:01 pm »
+2

Coffee Roast
Types: Treasure
Cost: $4P
$2, +2 Cards.
When you buy this, you may trash a Potion you have in play. If you do, take an extra turn after this one.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: September 11, 2019, 06:26:07 pm »
+1

CHALLENGE #44 - SUBMISSION

[UPDATE] I decided to go big and allow infinite turns with this. Is that crazy? Well I think instant win scenarios like King's Court / Bridge are neat to have around. Besides you need four to six of these at cost $8 to make it work so I think it will usually be unrealistic. Hopefully we can all overlook the fact that jerk players can stall the game with just two of these. I always design for IRL play so I don't think table etiquette will ever allow that to happen.

So on to what it does. You essentially are gambling on whether your Action, Buy or Night phase will be most useful for your extra turn. Playing two of these on the same turn though allows you to choose both your Action and Treasure phases for what essentially is a full, extra turn! Very powerful, but the price and issues with lining these up should keep that it check.

Thanks for looking! 8)

Refuge
$8 Night - Duration
Name a phase (Buy, Night, etc).
If this is the first time you played a Refuge this turn, take an extra turn after this one, where you can only play your Clean-up and phases named this turn with Refuges.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:24:42 pm by Kudasai »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: September 11, 2019, 06:36:14 pm »

Bonanza (Event) [$5]

At the end of this turn, if you have unspent coins, take Voyager, and take another turn after this one, where you draw one card per unspent coin for your hand.
---

Voyager (State)

Is Voyager supposed to be an Artifact that can bounce between players? As stated, Voyager can't be gotten rid of and thus you can only have one extra turn per game.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3494 on: September 11, 2019, 08:48:40 pm »
+1

Bonanza (Event) [$5]

---

Voyager (State)

Is Voyager supposed to be an Artifact that can bounce between players? As stated, Voyager can't be gotten rid of and thus you can only have one extra turn per game.

Well, unless it's a single state card* like Lost in the Woods (which is in all practical terms an artifact).

* I assume this is the desired effect, because of the "if you have this at this at the end of the game" wording. If it was supposed to be a state per player, it could just be "+1VP" (like Miserable).

Also, if it supposed to be a state per player, then you could just "once per game" it:

Once per game:  +1 Victory token; take another turn after this one, and you draw one card per unspent coin for your next hand.

(note that I added the "next" to follow Outpost wording; I suggest this happen independent of the other suggestions)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:58:21 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3495 on: September 11, 2019, 09:26:07 pm »
+4

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: September 11, 2019, 10:54:35 pm »
+1

$4 Penance Event
If the previous turn wasn't yours, take an extra turn after this one. During that turn when you play a card, discard a card sharing a type with the played card or reveal you can't.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: September 11, 2019, 11:06:16 pm »
+3

Hey guys, I just wanted to weigh in on something that's coming up with some of the cards. As judge, I'll try not to give away my opinion on the cards themselves.

Some of the submissions give extra turns in interesting ways that prevent getting extra turns on their own extra turn (double shift, witching hour, sanctuary, voyage). As Gendoikari pointed out, technically these cards together could create an infinite turn loop. While it might be a good idea if you're Donald X to design cards that give you some flexibility to design other potential cards later on, for a design contest I think it's ok. I'm going to judge these cards only based on themselves (and the cards that actually exist in the kingdom).

That being said, I want to bring up a point that isn't exactly about unlimited turns but is somewhat related

Mission and Outpost have two key phrases in their text. "If the previous turn wasn't yours" prevents infinite turns. "If this is the first time you played mission/outpost" prevents you from getting more than one extra turn per round. Consider not just whether you can get extra turns on your extra turns, but how many extra turns you can get per round. 2 questions to ask yourself. For illustration I'm going to use an example Action card I've made up called Extra Turn which says "Take another turn in which Extra Turn has no effect when played" (it's not good, I know)

1) Can I play multiple of these per turn? (Yes)
2) If I utilize outpost and/or mission can I play this multiple times per round? (Yes. Play ET, Outpost and buy mission on Turn 1. Take outpost turn and play ET. Take mission turn and play ET. Take 3 extra turns).  Note that while outpost and mission allow one extra turn per round no matter how many other extra turn cards there are, Extra Turn can be played multiple times per round (even if "if this is the first time you've played extra turn" was added) in the presence of outpost and mission.

It's not inherently bad to have a card that can get more than one extra turn per round. After all possession can do that. But it's something that will greatly change the relative strength of the card. Possession costs $6p (essentially more than a province). Even the best constructed outpost deck can only get one extra turn per round. If it could get more, it would have to cost more than $5. #2 is a lot less common to come up so it won't greatly affect the cost or how it's played (but is something to consider), but #1 will make a big difference.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: September 11, 2019, 11:13:02 pm »
+3

enough drawbacks that this can cost $2? talk me out of this one maybe, or help me justify it, because Outpost is only $3 and that was my model-goal with this.[/li][/list]

Not going to comment on the card itself but it's kinda bothering me that nobody corrected you on Outpost's price. It's $5 not $3.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: September 12, 2019, 03:09:34 am »
+2

There’s only meant to be a single copy of Voyager. Perhaps it should be an Artifact rather than a State.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.