Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546343 times)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3450 on: September 06, 2019, 01:36:21 am »
+2

Here's my submission for now

It's an advisor and king's court merged into one.

I know the cost looks low but the fact that you don't get to choose the card can be really annoying. Often times, throne room might be a better pick.

1) One of the things that makes king's court so powerful is the fact that it synergizes with itself (playing K Court on a K Court). However, this won't work here since your opponent will never choose for you to triple play a King's counsel unless you only have King's Counsels (which isn't helpful).

2) Unlike some other TR variants, this doesn't replace villages as easily since if you have no actions (after playing King's Counsel) and you have a terminal in hand, your opponent can make you play the terminal and end your action phase.

3) Also, cards that outlive their usefullness, or need to be carefully played such as chapel, cursers, mandatory trashers etc. will seriously hamper your ability to use this effectively.

In some decks with the right support this card can do well, but not always.

The trick to this would be keeping your action density low enough that you'd only ever give one choice, right? Feel like this would be a contender in the last contest too.

I think you mean 2 contests ago (player interaction). Last contest was monogainer.

Also, I don't think your action density necessarily needs to be low. If you have little variety and just have a lot of 1 nonterminal (such as labs, governor etc.) that could also work. Non terminals (especially cantrips) like pearl diver also aren't a liability since you could just play pearl diver first and then play king's counsel. Discarding cards (like Hamlet) can also help. In addition, giving your opponent a choice of all good cards can also be a strategy (if my opponent has to choose between KCing market, lab, or Ironmonger I'm happy with that). Too low of an action density will actually hurt this (like any TR vairant) because you risk drawing it with no actions.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 01:50:54 am by naitchman »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: September 06, 2019, 11:46:30 am »
+1

Challenge #43: Design a card (or card-shaped thing) that involves revealing your hand

Confessional (Action, $4)
+$2
Reval your hand. If one of the revealed cards costs less than all the others, trash that card, and then +2 Cards and +2 Actions.

As for Menagerie the revealing is to show if you are to get the fun or the boring result of the card, but also to show which card to trash in the former case. It can be used to get rid of starting deck cards and other bad stuff, but without some support like something that discards, it doesn't hit a single card that often in the beginning. It can also be used to get things rolling by sacrificing better cards. I even trashed a Vampire with it late in a game where this was tested. It is sometimes very good, but often you just get a boring terminal $2, and sometimes you don't even want to play it at all.

It sounds like this would be very difficult to get it to work... you almost have to have exactly a single Copper in hand when you play it. Or a single Estate with no Coppers. Both of those situations are going to be pretty rare. It could be strong when combined with cards like Hamlet or Warehouse; but you basically have to have a card like that with it. Most of the time when you play this, it will just be a terminal Silver; and occasionally it will just be a dead card because you don't want to play it as it would force you to trash a good card.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: September 06, 2019, 06:25:20 pm »
+1

Challenge #43: Design a card (or card-shaped thing) that involves revealing your hand

Confessional (Action, $4)
+$2
Reval your hand. If one of the revealed cards costs less than all the others, trash that card, and then +2 Cards and +2 Actions.

As for Menagerie the revealing is to show if you are to get the fun or the boring result of the card, but also to show which card to trash in the former case. It can be used to get rid of starting deck cards and other bad stuff, but without some support like something that discards, it doesn't hit a single card that often in the beginning. It can also be used to get things rolling by sacrificing better cards. I even trashed a Vampire with it late in a game where this was tested. It is sometimes very good, but often you just get a boring terminal $2, and sometimes you don't even want to play it at all.

It sounds like this would be very difficult to get it to work... you almost have to have exactly a single Copper in hand when you play it. Or a single Estate with no Coppers. Both of those situations are going to be pretty rare. It could be strong when combined with cards like Hamlet or Warehouse; but you basically have to have a card like that with it. Most of the time when you play this, it will just be a terminal Silver; and occasionally it will just be a dead card because you don't want to play it as it would force you to trash a good card.

The reason I think it works (it has when I've tried it, although I certainly need to test it more) is that it offers both trashing and a good effect. If you don't have any other trashing you welcome what you get, so it's worth betting. And if you have other trashing, that will help Confessional and you will get the good effect more often. For example just trashing a couple of Coppers with Moneylender will make Confessional much better in finding the rest of them, finding Estates, and maybe eventually also get rid of the Moneylender when that has become deadweight. Also, in most cases where you don't want to play it because you have only good cards, those good cards include other Action cards that you want to play instead anyway.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: September 06, 2019, 07:54:41 pm »

A Menagerie-like card. Like Menagerie, it's less likely to work the bigger your hand is. But, it lets you discard unwanted expensive stuff first, particularly Provinces. It overall encourages you to either buy a lot of cheap things or do a draw-to-x-like strategy.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: September 07, 2019, 01:43:08 am »
+3

I think that $25 is too large and that for too long this will be a cheap Double Lab.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: September 07, 2019, 03:08:59 am »

The dirty truth is that I want Crossroads and Rats to have a baby together

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: September 07, 2019, 03:09:22 am »
+1

grep

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +449
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: September 07, 2019, 12:03:47 pm »
+3

Numismatist
Action - $5
Reveal your hand.
Gain a Treasure card to your hand with a name different from any revealed card.
If you didn't, +$2

In absence of alt-coins, it starts as a Gold gainer, and eventually with a full set of Gold+Silver+Copper turns into a Province gainer.

Upd: picture, minor spellcheck and wording
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:58:42 am by grep »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: September 07, 2019, 04:11:09 pm »

I think that $25 is too large and that for too long this will be a cheap Double Lab.

Agreed; far too large. I don’t think you would ever skip getting this any time you have $4 or more until they are all gone. Even without the ability to discard cards before revealing it would be super strong; that ability puts it over the top. This could probably cost $6.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: September 07, 2019, 06:28:39 pm »
+4

I've decided to give my idea a complete overhaul. It's now like Conspirator, but different conditions have to be met.

Arithmancer
Action - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards, then reveal your hand. If the total cost in $ of the revealed cards is exactly $13, +$2.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:09:02 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: September 07, 2019, 06:44:01 pm »
+3

I've decided to give my idea a complete overhaul. It's now like Conspirator, but different conditions have to be met.

Arithmancer
Action - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards, then reveal your hand. If the total cost of the revealed cards is exactly $13, +$2.
I would make this say "cost in coins" so that it doesn't completely suck with Potions and Debt.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: September 07, 2019, 11:08:47 pm »

Arithmancer
Action - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
Discard any number of cards, then reveal your hand. If the total cost of the revealed cards is exactly $13, +$2.
I would make this say "cost in coins" so that it doesn't completely suck with Potions and Debt.

Done. Updated in the OP.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: September 08, 2019, 08:31:04 am »
+1

At the start of your turns, reveal your hand. Trash all Actions with +Actions amounts in their text. Draw until you have 4 cards in your hand. For every $2 in the combined cost of the trashed cards, +1 Coffers and +1 Villager.

EDIT: For some explanation, Trade agreement essentially supercharges your nonterminals, but makes them disappear. It certainly accelerates the game, but purchasing this too early can kill your engine. The Draw to 4 cards (as opposed to 5 cards) is intentional, to slightly tone it down, and because I don't want it to be the killer of handsize attacks.

EDIT2: I misformulated the draw to 4 part, so I fixed that (thanks, Pubby)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 08:28:15 am by grrgrrgrr »

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: September 08, 2019, 09:29:47 am »
+1

Soup Kitchen
Type: Action
Cost: $2

Reveal your hand.
+1 Action per Action card revealed
+$1 per Victory or Curse card revealed
-$1 per Treasure card revealed
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:32:30 am by King Leon »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: September 08, 2019, 10:12:14 am »

Siege Tower
$5 - Action/Attack

+2 Cards
Reveal your hand. Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand discards a copy of a card you didn't reveal (or reveals they can't).

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: September 08, 2019, 05:03:34 pm »

Mart

+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you revealed any copies of Mart, discard them. Otherwise, +$1 and you may gain a Mart.
+1 Card

Action
$4

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: September 09, 2019, 09:59:09 am »
+1

Soup Kitchen
Type: Action
Cost: $2

Reveal your hand.
+1 Action per Action card revealed
+$1 per Victory or Curse card revealed
-$1 per Treasure card revealed

Needs "(You can't go below )" like Poor House.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: September 09, 2019, 01:55:11 pm »
+1

This card punishes village idiots by giving them curses. (Thematically, sometimes you excavate an old village and get some new version of the stuff you already excavated. Sometimes you get ~~cUrSeD oBjEcTs~~ I dunno, it's silly!)

Don't buy this card too early, or you'll get curses.

This card encourages you to buy a variety of different stuff, because as soon as a pile is empty, you're going to be getting curses on each play whenever that card is in hand. The more variety you have, the less likely it is that your opponent can keep giving you the same card over and over.

Seeing your hand lets your opponent know more about what card will be worst to give you.

I thought of this fun idea but haven't had time to find an image.
Edit: added an image that Kudasai sent me. Thank you Kudasai!

I know it seems powerful for the price point, but there's no need to discourage buying it early since buying it early is a bad idea, anyway. I think the potential curses does a lot to weaken it.

I'm open to feedback!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 08:53:00 pm by anordinaryman »

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: September 09, 2019, 03:09:27 pm »
+1

@anordinaryman - Sent you a PM with an image that might work for Excavated Village.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: September 09, 2019, 05:11:49 pm »

Whenever someone instructs me to draw up to four cards, regardless of how recently I've been hit by a handsize attack, I choose 4 rather than 3, 2, 1, or zero. 

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: September 09, 2019, 05:48:20 pm »
+1

Trade agreements should be phrased "draw until you have 4 cards in hand" rather than "draw up to 4". The latter sounds like a hunting grounds effect.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: September 09, 2019, 05:49:00 pm »
+1

24 hours left in this week's contest!

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: September 10, 2019, 01:26:56 am »

This is just a rough idea. The obvious parameters to change are the price (although at $6 it is arguably too similar to Gold) and the non-terminality.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: September 10, 2019, 03:30:29 pm »
+4

Challenge #43: Design a card (or card-shaped thing) that involves revealing your hand: Commentary & Results

Thanks everyone for the submissions, there were a lot of great ideas.  OPs are hyperlinked, shortlisted entries are bolded.

Apostate by Kudasai
I had to read this a couple times to understand how it works, but I think I like this card.  Triple Labs are always hard to balance, but I appreciate that this one works eventually, provided you put in the effort.  The trashing is nice at first, hitting Coppers and Estates, but then you really need to ensure you have enough fodder to prevent hitting key engine pieces (or another Apostate).  Neat idea.

Chest by Aquila
The multiple choices make it just slightly more complicated than I like (i.e. “when am I allowed to take +Coffers, again?”), but I do like the player interaction.  It feels more like a fairer version of Smugglers than Feast.  Small nitpick: I’d prefer this say “player to your left” instead of picking a player.

Urban Sprawl by popsofctown
The idea of a Rats-like card that can gain copies of itself by revealing Estates and then better cards with Duchies and Provinces is certainly interesting, however I don’t like the weird buy restriction and may gain on first buy phase clause.  I guess I understand why it’s there, but I imagine there’s probably a cleaner way to do it. 

Pearl line by spineflu
I’m impressed by your ambition here, but I’m afraid the line’s complexity stifles the more interesting ideas.  Jeweler’s Silver attack is unique and makes Housebreaker’s attack more likely to hit.  Fence is a weaker Horn of Plenty but why does it need to be a Reaction and use a non-standard exchange condition?  Cartel seems okay, though it feels like a boring way to end the line—just turning your Traveller into some VP chips.

Lair by Gubump
I think this still can cause loops, right?  Since it’s still technically “the start of your turn” after drawing?  Loops aside, it’s certainly a lot better than Tunnel, but it’s tricky that the Guide effect only works when it’s A) in your hand at the start of your turn, and B) in a hand you actually want to discard.  At least buying this makes it more likely for both of these happen.

Rent by majiponi
The on-play is simple, though often weak.  The reaction also feels pretty niche.  Uh not much else to say, I guess?  Could definitely use a buff.   

Potpourri by Chris is me
I think Donald X. tested a card similar to this one which eventually became Menagerie.  Making yours not work on Action cards keeps it from being crazy too often, and the +Buy helps with the hands where it is.  It compares quite favorably to Sacred Grove and Wine Merchant, so it might be on the strong side, but it’s still just terminal coin so it’s probably fine.

Genocide by pubby
Ignoring the distasteful card name and horrifying card art, I like the idea here.  It feels similar to Forum with a village option can be useful sometimes, except I don’t like how costly it is to use—as currently worded, it would seem that discarding a total of 4 cards just for a village doesn’t seem worth it.  Perhaps discarding just 2 cards after the reveal could trigger the +Action, or perhaps the Actions could even scale per card discarded (e.g. discard 2 cards, get +2 Actions).

Vandal by madioca15
One of my favorites, I love the minigame here of trying to get a big hand of uniques and cash in for points, yet they’re still useful as a plain ol’ Woodcutters while you’re trying to get there.  Simple, but some cool possibilities, and it feels much more fun than the similar (and swingier) Farmer’s Market.

No name by Fly-Eagles-Fly
It’s an interesting idea, however the options here don’t feel super balanced with one another.  The Remodel plus trash is often going to be far better than the other two, both in the early game for trashing as well as mid to late for gaining engine pieces and VP.  The Ambassador option is the weakest, since trashing your own junk is usually better than passing out more of it.  Along with the gain a copy option, this is a card where the opponent will feel bad about whatever they choose, since there’s almost always going to be an option that’s good for you.   

King’s Counsel by naitchman
King’s Court on a card you can’t choose feels balanced at $3, and the player interaction and decisions here seem to be far more meaningful than those with Advisor, since you can’t just spam a bunch of these.  It will be unplayable in some games, especially ones with few non-terminals, however with strategic hand management and choosing carefully when to play it and when not to, this can be incredibly powerful.  You’ll of course never get Kinged King’s Counsels, and it will be tough to King other key payload or draw cards without help, but Kinging weaker cards such as a cantrip or a terminal silver isn’t bad at all for $3.  Very neat card!

Socialite by NoMoreFun   
A sort of mini-Cursed Village with a mild discard attack.  Clearing out Victory cards from your own hand helps this keep drawing, though you’ll need trashing to prevent from choking on Treasures.  It’s nice that the draw-to-X counters its own attack.  This does stomp all over Night cards though which is a little sad, but I suppose there are official cards that do that too (I’m looking at you Haunted Woods).

No name by mad4math
Look at that, two cards named “No name.”  This is a nice utility card that essentially lets you “save” extra Coppers and Action plays for a later turn.  It works really nicely as a Night card too, as it lets you plan out which Treasures you’ll play and which you won’t, while also providing consolation prizes for dead-drawn Actions, or ones that have outlived their usefulness.  Nice one.   

Sellsword by Gazbag
This feels like what Taxman should have been, it’s cheaper and more versatile, while still hitting opponents with a similarly targeted discard attack.  Early game, there’s the decision of if it’s better to thin a Copper and Cutpurse your opponents or upgrade your Estate for a much milder attack.  Depending on the board, it’s probably less likely to hit as the game goes on, but still hurts when it does.  Also it’s cute that you can Sellsword Estates into more Sellswords.   

Confessional by pst
It sounds great on paper: +2 Cards, +2 Actions, +$2, AND trash a junk card!  Except…triggering this is going to be frustratingly difficult—far more so than triggering Menagerie.  Yes, with sifters, discarders, or handsize attacks, it gets a bit easier, but most of the time, you’ll need trashing to get this set up—but by then you won’t need the trashing anymore, and playing with this becomes more of a liability than a useful engine piece. 

Numismatist by grep
Simple and straightforward, and the reveal mechanic cleverly prevents it from stacking and encourages variety.  A bit boring if nothing else, though it can get much more exciting when there are Kingdom treasures to work with. 

Arithmancer by Commodore Chuckles
Nice card name, I see what you did there.  It's sort of a reverse Conspirator where the cantrip is guaranteed instead of the +$2, which makes them safer to gain a lot of.  The issue here is hitting exactly $13 and reliably hitting it multiple times in a row.  Discarding helps a bit, but I imagine this will trigger far less often than Conspirator.

Trade Agreement by grrgrrgrr
This one is interesting—a deal with the devil of sorts.  You can get a whole bunch of Coffers and Villagers out of it, and eventually it eats all your fodder and won’t produce anything else unless you gain more Action cards with +Actions.  The biggest problem here is this basically kills any non-terminal draw—I know the project sort of adds its own draw, but on boards without a terminal handsize increaser, this will be a very hard sell. 

Soup Kitchen by King Leon
I worry this is often going to be pretty weak, and probably could almost do without the treasure drawback.  Yes, it can get strong in multiples in the right deck, but needs draw and buy.  Also, this needs a “can’t go below $0” clause like Poor House. 

Siege Tower by faust
One of the few attacks submitted, this one seems okay.  It can be very painful when it hits, and the draw can help increase the chances of hitting something good, but if you have too many things in your hand or no bad cards in your hand, the attack might not hurt much or at all.   It’s a bit hard to control, even more so than Raider, and thus looks a little weak next to something like Ghost Ship or Witch, but I think it’s probably still worth going for on a lot of boards. 

Mart by alion8me
A Peddler that gains copies itself seems good, with the drawback that having too many can make it discard copies of itself—kind of like Poacher with multiple empty piles.  Having +1 Card at the very end reads a little weird, but I do appreciate that it makes it less likely you’ll draw into another Mart before revealing.  Mart can auto-run the pile if your deck and discard are empty, but it’s a little tricky to set up. 

Excavated Village by anordinaryman
At first glance I thought this was way too strong—of course you’d never play it without other Action cards so the "Village Idiot punishment” of gaining a Curse for a hand without Actions seemed unlikely to ever matter.  However, the Cursing once piles empty is a very clever touch and makes this a much more interesting card (and piles WILL empty when this card is on the board).  It’s sort of like University, except the player interaction can lead to some tough decisions—e.g. should you give someone another bad terminal, or a better card that's the last in the pile in hopes of Cursing them later?  I’ve come around on this one.  Also dope card art.

Hearth by segura
It’s simple which I like, but I worry this will often just be a $5 Gold or better (since revealing Action, Treasure, and a third type such as Attack or Victory will be pretty common).  Giving it +Buy instead of +Action might help, but it definitely seems too automatic in its non-terminal state.   

Runner Up: Vandal by madioca15

WINNER: King’s Counsel by naitchman

Congrats to naitchman and thanks everyone for participating!

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: September 10, 2019, 11:13:53 pm »
+1

I have to say that I think King's Counsel is problematic because drawing it with (only) a key action early on is very snowbally. Like, imagine a board where you can open Mountebank-King's Counsel. Whoever connects this first wins the game. There will be plenty of boards where opening King's Counsel/X is optimal just because the potential benefit of connecting is so good, but the chances of actually connecting them aren't very high. Basically, it's double Urchin on steroids.
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 21 queries.