Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546739 times)

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread #43: reveal a hand
« Reply #3425 on: September 03, 2019, 05:23:08 pm »
+1

Kind of a Feast or Changeling that's rather challenging to use well. Know their decks and know their minds... The opportunity cost is kept minimal so it's worth a shot more often. If you pick an opponent with a bad hand, you get a Coffers as a consolation.

Edit: completely new entry. The former entry, Culprit, is commented on further down this page.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:59:25 am by Aquila »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3426 on: September 03, 2019, 06:07:38 pm »
+1

Let's say pile of 20.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:15:36 pm by popsofctown »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: September 03, 2019, 06:09:13 pm »
+1

Just can't stop thinking about those Rats man.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3428 on: September 03, 2019, 07:09:36 pm »

I uh went the opposite of Aquila, for complex, and did a rainbow traveller line
-> ->
-> ->

Thematically, it's a fun little story about getting robbed by like.... a thieves guild. or something.

Pearl • $2 • Treasure - Traveller
Reveal a card from your hand. If it's an...
...Action: +1 Buy
...Treasure: + $1
...Victory: Put your deck into your discard pile.
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange this for a Jeweller.
Considered having it play the bottom card of your deck (a la Pearl Diver) but nah.

Jeweller • $3* • Action - Traveller
"+1 Buy
All players (including you) reveal their hands. For each player, if they do not reveal a Gold, they gain a Silver to the top of their deck.
Gain a Silver to the top of your deck.
-
When this is discarded from play, you may exchange this for a Housebreaker.
(This is not in the Supply)
Load up on some Silver, both for you + opponents prior to getting a Housebreaker; this is designed to slow down the Traveller cycle.

Housebreaker • $4* • Night - Attack - Duration - Traveller
Each other player with four or more cards discards a Treasure card, or reveals a hand with no Treasures.
At the start of your next turn, +$1
-
When you discard this from play, you may exchange this for a Fence.
Handsize attack that hits treasures only, and a Copper on the next turn - which causes it to wait out a turn to exchange. Thinking this is vaguely comparable to a Militia - better attack, worse funbux?

Fence • $5* • Night - Reaction - Traveller
Reveal your hand. Gain a card costing up to $1 per each unique card name revealed this way.
-
When this is revealed (using the word reveal), you may discard it, then exchange it for a Cartel (which goes to your discard pile).
This needs some synergy from your opponents' Housebreakers or Jewellers to proc, or (or!) you can hit it yourself with Pearl, Fence, or Cartel. You may never even get to play it before swapping it out.

Cartel • $6* • Night - Victory
Draw cards until you have six in your hand.
Reveal your hand; +1% per type (Action, Treasure, etc) revealed this way
(types can be duplicates).
Return this to the Cartel pile.
-
4%
Minimum 6VP; Maximum is 24 VP (5 Housebreakers + Dame Josephine or a Werewolf) but seems pretty unlikely. The 4VP lower section is a consolation prize if you get it too late to use it.
The draw is cycling - you probably won't get to use any of the cards you draw.

Revised these to be better.
Originals are quoted in naitchman's post below, and on the trello.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:45:29 pm by spineflu »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: September 03, 2019, 07:12:27 pm »

this is kind of a Feels Bad card in Shelters games.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #43: Reveal your hand
« Reply #3430 on: September 03, 2019, 07:33:08 pm »
+1

A Guide variant that needs to be in the hand you discard, but rewards you with a Gold if you reveal mostly Victory cards. The strange wording in the reaction is to prevent being able to trigger the same Lair repeatedly by having a small deck/triggering a re-shuffle.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: September 03, 2019, 08:14:59 pm »
+1

So is Upgrade with no 2's?  So is Ambassador?  My understanding was, you don't design around Shelters if all they do is make a card unbuyable.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: September 03, 2019, 08:22:22 pm »

So is Upgrade with no 2's?  So is Ambassador?  My understanding was, you don't design around Shelters if all they do is make a card unbuyable.
That's fair; that probably came off more critical than I meant for it to. Sorry.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:48:44 pm by spineflu »

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: September 03, 2019, 11:03:46 pm »

Rent
cost $2 - Action - Reaction
Reveal your hand.
+$1 per Victory card revealed.
---
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand to put any number of cards onto your deck.

Strong Secret Chamber, isn't it? (Although you cannot earn $ from Curses or unusable Actions.)

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: September 04, 2019, 12:10:55 am »
+1

-> ->
-> ->

I feel like the 2 most common pitfalls of traveler lines are weak starters and lackluster finishers.

Note that the 2 official starters of traveler lines are both $2, yet both are strictly worse than pawn. They're supposed to be overpriced compared to what they do when played, because of the benefit of being able to start the line. Meaning, the reason I get a page is not because of the +1 card +1 action but because I can eventually get a champion.

Even if pearl wasn't the beginning of a traveler line this could hold it's weight against silver. At worst it's a copper, but most of the time (especially considering the cards in this traveler line including itself) it will be a silver, possibly a gold or even $4. For $2 that sounds pretty good. For a $2 traveler, it's a steal.

On the flip side, I get the feeling Cartel will not usually be worth that much considering how much time and effort you have to put in to get one (note that the traveler line is a bit harder to get through because of fence). If you play it, even if you get one copy of each card in this line, it will only be worth 8 vp. If there aren't any other traveler lines, and you work even harder (stuffing your deck full of travelers) this could be ~12vp (25vp tops if you're uncontested). Compare that to being immune to attacks and having unlimited actions with an easier line to get through and not having to stuff your deck full of travelers.

As an aside, Fence sounds way too powerful as well. It'd be hard for this to be less than $2. It can easily be +$8 or more.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:12:09 am by naitchman »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3435 on: September 04, 2019, 01:17:32 am »

I've gone simple. You generally lose the best card in your hand so that $4 isn't as big as it looks, so build the deck to support it well. It can be interesting for you to use and sometimes for them to choose the guilty party carefully, but...it may lose out on innovation.
I think that this is far too weak. At best you only play other virtual money, one Culprit and no Treasures. If you even have one Copper in hand, this is weaker than Sacred Groove (which is arguably just a more expensive Bridge).

In Kingdoms without easily available virtual money besides Culprit, I don't see how it is even better than Woodcutter or Herbalist.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: September 04, 2019, 08:40:51 am »

I try to go simple for this sort of thing. I'll make a card image later.

---

Potpourri - $5, Action
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand. +$1 for each differently named non-Action card in your hand.

---

I think it needs to say non-Action to prevent those absurd +$15 plays or whatever. But this still produces at least $2-$3 early, can easily produce $5-$6 late, and with the right kingdom and lots of draw can go nuts.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: September 04, 2019, 09:15:35 am »

I'm seeing those criticisms you posted and generally nodding. gonna kinda think aloud in response here.

I feel like the 2 most common pitfalls of traveler lines are weak starters and lackluster finishers.

Note that the 2 official starters of traveler lines are both $2, yet both are strictly worse than pawn. They're supposed to be overpriced compared to what they do when played, because of the benefit of being able to start the line. Meaning, the reason I get a page is not because of the +1 card +1 action but because I can eventually get a champion.

Even if pearl wasn't the beginning of a traveler line this could hold it's weight against silver. At worst it's a copper, but most of the time (especially considering the cards in this traveler line including itself) it will be a silver, possibly a gold or even $4. For $2 that sounds pretty good. For a $2 traveler, it's a steal.
I think I've got a fix for this - do an Iron* thing, change it to be
Reveal and discard a card from your hand. If it's an...
...Action: +1 Buy
...Treasure: +$1
...Victory: Put your deck into your discard pile.
-
exchange blah blah blah
This way it's got an antisynergy with Midnighter (thematic!) and you aren't getting a boatload of dollars, and it can only do the woodcutter*/pouch thing if you scrap a Crown (or Crown a Pearl, but then that costs two cards). The Chancellor effect should really be the stealth Useful Thing this card can do.
Also this way it costs a card on-use.

altho should it be the bottom card of your deck revealed? in homage to Pearl Diver? That scraps the "cost of a card on use" thing, which is kind of a shame, and also loosens its synergy with Fence (altho making it less useful is kind of the point right?)

On the flip side, I get the feeling Cartel will not usually be worth that much considering how much time and effort you have to put in to get one (note that the traveler line is a bit harder to get through because of fence). If you play it, even if you get one copy of each card in this line, it will only be worth 8 vp. If there aren't any other traveler lines, and you work even harder (stuffing your deck full of travelers) this could be ~12vp (25vp tops if you're uncontested). Compare that to being immune to attacks and having unlimited actions with an easier line to get through and not having to stuff your deck full of travelers.
The bottom part was meant to be a concession prize if the game ended before you were able to pop it. It's meant to be a Province-to-Colony tier point boost without a card slowing down your deck. I think I wanna make the bottom piece just a flat 3%/duchy, and change the top to be .... iunno, 2% per type? which should emphasize what you're supposed to do with it. 2% per type might be too much though. Maybe 1% per type, unique be damned?

Or maybe make it just like... +2 Cards, +2%/type .
My adhoc analysis says the best case 6 card hand, the most types you could come up with is 12 (Dame Josephine, Housebreaker, Idol, Hovel, and then any two that're a Prize / Looter / Ruin / Reserve / Gatherer / etc).
Might be broken in a Cultist-Draws-Your-Deck situation, but in a way you want a Traveller terminus to be broken; One of every (existing) type ends up at 22. That doubled should be game clenching but that's... Hard to pull off if you aren't in a ridiculous Black Market game, where you can somehow draw your entire deck and yet you aren't bogged down in Garbage.

As an aside, Fence sounds way too powerful as well. It'd be hard for this to be less than $2. It can easily be +$8 or more.
yeah i think i wanna make Fence terminal again. Or make it a Night card (and gainer)? so same deal as cartel - if you want it to be "Good" you'd have to wait through your turn with a mitt full of cards [or go hard on Hunting Grounds/Smithy] before using it (and then a card costing up to $1 per unique card name revealed)?

Midnighter and Jeweller seem ok tho?

(i think ima change Midnighter's name - turns out the Thesaurus lied to me, that it is not a synonym for Thief, but instead a comic book character)

Here's the fully revised versions, taking your feedback into account, and also re-ordering them a bit:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:24:28 pm by spineflu »

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: September 04, 2019, 09:29:29 am »
+1

For example if you discard copper, you have to discard ALL the coppers from your hand.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:32:00 am by pubby »

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: September 04, 2019, 11:55:46 am »
+1

I've gone simple. You generally lose the best card in your hand so that $4 isn't as big as it looks, so build the deck to support it well. It can be interesting for you to use and sometimes for them to choose the guilty party carefully, but...it may lose out on innovation.
I think that this is far too weak. At best you only play other virtual money, one Culprit and no Treasures. If you even have one Copper in hand, this is weaker than Sacred Groove (which is arguably just a more expensive Bridge).

In Kingdoms without easily available virtual money besides Culprit, I don't see how it is even better than Woodcutter or Herbalist.
Thanks, you've woken me up. I narrowed my vision to just the times when this was interesting without seeing how infrequent they were.

Complete new entry:

Kind of a Feast or Changeling that's rather challenging to use well. Know their decks and know their minds... The opportunity cost is kept minimal so it's worth a shot more often. If you pick an opponent with a bad hand, you get a Coffers as a consolation.

mandioca15

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +237
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: September 04, 2019, 01:45:01 pm »
+1

Vandal (Action) [$4]

Reveal your hand. If all cards are differently named, trash this and +1VP per card you revealed. Otherwise, +$2 and +1 Buy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:54:29 pm by mandioca15 »

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: September 04, 2019, 03:47:48 pm »
+1

No name
Action $4
Reveal your hand. The player to your left chooses one. Choose one: trash it and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it and you may trash a card from your hand; or gain a copy of it; or each other player gains a copy of it.

Edit: added to the first option
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 03:48:52 pm by Fly-Eagles-Fly »

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: September 04, 2019, 07:29:08 pm »
+3

Here's my submission for now

It's an advisor and king's court merged into one.

I know the cost looks low but the fact that you don't get to choose the card can be really annoying. Often times, throne room might be a better pick.

1) One of the things that makes king's court so powerful is the fact that it synergizes with itself (playing K Court on a K Court). However, this won't work here since your opponent will never choose for you to triple play a King's counsel unless you only have King's Counsels (which isn't helpful).

2) Unlike some other TR variants, this doesn't replace villages as easily since if you have no actions (after playing King's Counsel) and you have a terminal in hand, your opponent can make you play the terminal and end your action phase.

3) Also, cards that outlive their usefullness, or need to be carefully played such as chapel, cursers, mandatory trashers etc. will seriously hamper your ability to use this effectively.

In some decks with the right support this card can do well, but not always.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: September 04, 2019, 07:32:32 pm »

No name
Action $4
Reveal your hand. The player to your left chooses one. Choose one: trash it and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it and you may trash a card from your hand; or gain a copy of it; or each other player gains a copy of it.

Edit: added to the first option

Should be "The player to your left chooses one of the revealed cards." Otherwise it's confusing and actually illogical.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: September 04, 2019, 08:22:19 pm »
+1

Socialite
Action/Attack - $4
+2 Actions
Each player (including you) discards any number of cards from their hand to reveal a hand with only Actions and Treasures.
Then, draw until you have 4 cards in hand.

Rules clarification: You can discard any number of cards that you like, but you must discard all non treasure and action cards before revealing.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: September 04, 2019, 09:37:00 pm »

I think the original isn't going to get bought as often as Rats which is a poor bar to miss.  I think this might be better.

The choosing element gives it some hope of being purchaseable in villageless games is the hope, but maybe the card doesn't really ever have any hope in villageless games and that should be abandoned to streamline.

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: September 04, 2019, 10:56:51 pm »
+2

No name
Night $4
Reveal your hand. +1 Coffers per Treasure card revealed. +1 Villager per Action card revealed.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: September 05, 2019, 09:24:51 am »
+1

No name
Night $4
Reveal your hand. +1 Coffers per Treasure card revealed. +1 Villager per Action card revealed.
Can I suggest a name? "Lamplighter"? bc it makes your next turn(s) a little brighter. This is a neat card.

I think the original isn't going to get bought as often as Rats which is a poor bar to miss.  I think this might be better.

The choosing element gives it some hope of being purchaseable in villageless games is the hope, but maybe the card doesn't really ever have any hope in villageless games and that should be abandoned to streamline.

I feel like you're playing at 9 kingdom cards with this unless you have a workshop-style gainer on the board, like it's a dead pile almost. Maybe (for the top part) instead of giving a dollar it can gain a card costing up to ... $1? $2? so there's some self-synergy at least? edit: i'm an idiot. you can do that with the rest of the effect. You're good; this should probably have a "Choose one:" at the front.

Socialite
Action/Attack - $4
+2 Actions
Each player (including you) discards any number of cards from their hand to reveal a hand with only Actions and Treasures.
Then, draw until you have 4 cards in hand.

Rules clarification: You can discard any number of cards that you like, but you must discard all non treasure and action cards before revealing.

You withdrew Iconoclast, yeah?
Also this might be rough with Night cards. I like it though.

Here's my submission for now

It's an advisor and king's court merged into one.

I know the cost looks low but the fact that you don't get to choose the card can be really annoying. Often times, throne room might be a better pick.

1) One of the things that makes king's court so powerful is the fact that it synergizes with itself (playing K Court on a K Court). However, this won't work here since your opponent will never choose for you to triple play a King's counsel unless you only have King's Counsels (which isn't helpful).

2) Unlike some other TR variants, this doesn't replace villages as easily since if you have no actions (after playing King's Counsel) and you have a terminal in hand, your opponent can make you play the terminal and end your action phase.

3) Also, cards that outlive their usefullness, or need to be carefully played such as chapel, cursers, mandatory trashers etc. will seriously hamper your ability to use this effectively.

In some decks with the right support this card can do well, but not always.

The trick to this would be keeping your action density low enough that you'd only ever give one choice, right? Feel like this would be a contender in the last contest two contests ago (player interaction) too.

No name
Action $4

Can I suggest the name "Tailor"? goes with the Remodel theme of having the card name be a verb, but can also be another person choosing which thread to pull. Again, a solid entry in last the player interaction contest too.

Complete new entry:

This is solid but might be underpriced - it's on par with Baker, no?
Or, it's better as the chosen opponent to never reveal your hand unless you've got like... 5 coppers. 5 curses. something Really Bad. And even then, it lets a player duplicate their Silver or run out the Estates, at minimum. Might be better priced at $4? Cool concept though.

Vandal (Action) [$4]

Reveal your hand. If all cards are differently named, trash this and +1VP per card you revealed. Otherwise, +$2 and +1 Buy.

I really like the Press Your Luck type minigame of trying to hit this with like eight cards in hand. Feel like this'd be very at home in Cornucopia, if that had vp tokens. It'd be interesting to have a game where this is the only +buy and one player was aiming to run out this pile via +VP-trashing.

For example if you discard copper, you have to discard ALL the coppers from your hand.
I love everything about this but the name. Very clever way to combine a Lab+ xor a Village. However "Genocide" suggests an attack card to me - maybe look to like "The New Atlantis" for an olde tyme-y scientist word?

« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:26:05 am by spineflu »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: September 05, 2019, 09:46:43 am »
+2

I believe I posted this on the forum about a year ago, if you'd rather have a new card for this contest I'll think of something new!

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: September 05, 2019, 03:06:20 pm »
+1

Challenge #43: Design a card (or card-shaped thing) that involves revealing your hand

Confessional (Action, $4)
+$2
Reval your hand. If one of the revealed cards costs less than all the others, trash that card, and then +2 Cards and +2 Actions.

As for Menagerie the revealing is to show if you are to get the fun or the boring result of the card, but also to show which card to trash in the former case. It can be used to get rid of starting deck cards and other bad stuff, but without some support like something that discards, it doesn't hit a single card that often in the beginning. It can also be used to get things rolling by sacrificing better cards. I even trashed a Vampire with it late in a game where this was tested. It is sometimes very good, but often you just get a boring terminal $2, and sometimes you don't even want to play it at all.

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.