Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547308 times)

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3375 on: August 29, 2019, 01:11:43 pm »
+1

CHALLENGE #42 - MONOGAINER ENTRY

I don't believe Dominion has any official cards that gain and draw on one card so I thought I'd give that a go. Has a lot of dud potential in terms of drawing, but it will always gain a Silver and draw at least one card, which isn't too bad. The draw on this can get a bit crazy, but the Silver gaining and draw itself should help keep itself in check. The former, because Headhunter cares about diversity and you are Silver flooding, the latter because drawing will often force a reshuffle and cut off your draw power from your discard pile. Should work well with both Big Money and Engines, but since there is usually more card diversity in Engines, that should be the optimal play.

This seems fun to play, but could turn out to be tedious.
Thoughts are always welcome!

Quote from: Headhunters by Kudasai
Headhunters
Cost: $5 Type: Action
Gain a Silver then reveal your discard pile. +1 Card per differently named card revealed.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 09:09:31 pm by Kudasai »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: August 29, 2019, 01:26:28 pm »
+2

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3377 on: August 29, 2019, 01:29:54 pm »

Aight, withdrawing Middleman, entering Manuscript/Grimoire

It's a mixed pile, six of each, that are shuffled together; the supply pile is kept face down and the top card is face up. You can only buy/gain/exchange for the top card (a la Knights)

Worth big money and a couple extra buys if you can run the pile; they don't leave potions dead in your hand; however their gaining/exchanging doesn't always work - sometimes there's a card in the way.
Manuscript • $1P • Treasure
$1 plus $1 per Grimoire you have in play.
+1 Buy
-
During Clean-up, you may exchange this for a Grimoire if one is available.
Grimoire • $1P • Treasure
$2
You may spend any number of P. This is worth $1 more for each P spent.
If this is your first Grimoire played this turn, gain a Manuscript if one is available.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:07:03 pm by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: August 29, 2019, 01:40:52 pm »
+1

I'm not sure how much this improves your deck... having Copper instead of Estate in your hand is slightly better; but you'd still really rather trash that Copper. And if trashing is available; I don't think you'd take the time with this to avoid losing the Estate points.

Then again if trashing isn't available; turning an Estate into a Copper is kind of like gaining a Peddler.

I wonder if it would be better and still balanced if the Copper were gained to your hand?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: August 29, 2019, 02:09:41 pm »

I'm not sure how much this improves your deck... having Copper instead of Estate in your hand is slightly better; but you'd still really rather trash that Copper. And if trashing is available; I don't think you'd take the time with this to avoid losing the Estate points.

Then again if trashing isn't available; turning an Estate into a Copper is kind of like gaining a Peddler.

I wonder if it would be better and still balanced if the Copper were gained to your hand?

you're forgetting you could also use this on curses and other victory cards (like provinces)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:11:48 pm by naitchman »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: August 29, 2019, 02:45:07 pm »
+1

I considered this, but I think that that'd make the card way too strong. Imagine this:
T1: I open 4/3. Buy Traveling Agency for $4
T2: I get rid of my first estate and hit $4
T3: I draw CCCCE. Bye bye second estate and hit $5
T4: I draw CCCCE. Ok, my estates are gone, and I hit $5 again.

This project isn't that great at getting rid of estates, but it can remove cards simply by drawing them. Staples likes that. Pooka likes that. And remember that sending to the island mat =/= trashing. It can effectively make a singular province produce $1, AND make it trashable.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: August 29, 2019, 02:54:45 pm »

you're forgetting you could also use this on curses and other victory cards (like provinces)

I wasn't forgetting; just not including it because it's a much less common use; and one that doesn't happen as early in the game. For Curses, using this is worse than trashing; which takes away one of the few advantages that this has over something like Cathedral. For Provinces or other VP cards; it often is happening much later in the game where trashing just isn't as impactful.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: August 29, 2019, 03:02:55 pm »
+1

The prophet pile is a mixed pile of 20 cards, 10 copies of each of these versions:

Please let me know if this violates mono-gaining rules

I've had this idea for a while of a card that alternated between even and odd trashing. Originally, I had the cards with different names. Then this contest inspired me to try out the idea ... what if two functionally different cards had the same name? The art is flipped to help tell the difference and the * * are supposed to be bold but I wasn't able to use the card template I used to easily bold the difference.

It scales up in power in multiplier games, of course, but it also runs out a lot more quickly in multiplayer games. There's an interesting meta game -- you want to be able to hold onto a Prophet at the end potentially for the big $ it can generate. Maybe that means you hold on to your "even" Prophet so that you don't have to trash to get the $. There's some fun strategic considerations in terms of if you want to play your prophets, or when you should buy a second prophet, etc.

Despite this being almost entirely unprecedented, I do not think this card causes major problems. Band of misfits and similar cards use the card in the supply to play, so if the odd was on top, then it acts as an odd one. They have the same name, but are not copies of each other, so Ambassador might return one and fail to give out more than one, depending on the order of the piles. I don't think any of this is that confusing.

Flavor wise, your prophet sacrifices himself and reincarnates again! However, the disciples that got convinced to convert just stay in the trash -- they don't come back. They gave their life to the cause in terms of $. The more people you've converted the more $ you get. And it's one religion, so anybody your opponents convert also give you $.

I am definitely open to feedback on this card!

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: August 29, 2019, 03:44:23 pm »
+2

Treasure Map that gains an engine piece rather than Gold, to kinda try and bring the experience into the engine meta. Handsize increase won't be so good for connecting the Volumes up so going for it won't always be a strong move. It should be worthwhile often enough though. +Action on Volumes lets you remove them if they didn't connect up in good time, but hoarding them until they connect becomes a possibility. And draw to 6 may be too tame compared to 4 Golds.

Edit: Encyclopedia gained to hand and made optional (in case you just use Volumes to decrease handsize)

You could consider the following buff to Volume:

Volume (Action, $4)
+2 Actions
You may return this and a Volume to the supply. If you did, gain an Encyclopedia from its pile to your hand.

Encyclopedia needs non-drawing villages to be worthwile, so why not let Volume be a helping hand?

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: August 29, 2019, 04:33:24 pm »
+1

The prophet pile is a mixed pile of 20 cards, 10 copies of each of these versions:

I've had this idea for a while of a card that alternated between even and odd trashing. Originally, I had the cards with different names. Then this contest inspired me to try out the idea ... what if two functionally different cards had the same name? The art is flipped to help tell the difference and the * * are supposed to be bold but I wasn't able to use the card template I used to easily bold the difference.

It scales up in power in multiplier games, of course, but it also runs out a lot more quickly in multiplayer games. There's an interesting meta game -- you want to be able to hold onto a Prophet at the end potentially for the big $ it can generate. Maybe that means you hold on to your "even" Prophet so that you don't have to trash to get the $. There's some fun strategic considerations in terms of if you want to play your prophets, or when you should buy a second prophet, etc.

Despite this being almost entirely unprecedented, I do not think this card causes major problems. Band of misfits and similar cards use the card in the supply to play, so if the odd was on top, then it acts as an odd one. They have the same name, but are not copies of each other, so Ambassador might return one and fail to give out more than one, depending on the order of the piles. I don't think any of this is that confusing.

Flavor wise, your prophet sacrifices himself and reincarnates again! However, the disciples that got convinced to convert just stay in the trash -- they don't come back. They gave their life to the cause in terms of $. The more people you've converted the more $ you get. And it's one religion, so anybody your opponents convert also give you $.

so per this thread about inheritance, word of god is cards with the same name are supposed to be identical; however this is such a narrow difference case I'd think it's a reasonable sui generis case of it not being a big deal.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: August 29, 2019, 04:51:08 pm »
+2

so per this thread about inheritance, word of god is cards with the same name are supposed to be identical; however this is such a narrow difference case I'd think it's a reasonable sui generis case of it not being a big deal.

Seems to me you could just have the cards with 2 different names ("Prophet A", "prophet B") and add a type ("Prophet") so that "gain a Prophet" refers to its type and not its name. Of course, cards that care about name would act differently (sometimes worse, sometimes better).

It wouldn't qualify for this challenge*, then - but seems like a cleaner design than two same named cards having different texts.

* unless pubby allows it, as a variant of spineflu's question:

Hey pubby
coud we do a mixed pile (2 named cards, randomly ordered) that each gain the other card in the pile if its available? Would that qualify for the contest?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:04:34 pm by scolapasta »
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: August 29, 2019, 09:37:56 pm »

I think maybe Travel Agency can be moved to 3$ to better posture itself as a midgame/lategame tactical pickup rather than an opener.

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: August 30, 2019, 03:38:51 am »
+2

You could consider the following buff to Volume:

Volume (Action, $4)
+2 Actions
You may return this and a Volume to the supply. If you did, gain an Encyclopedia from its pile to your hand.

Encyclopedia needs non-drawing villages to be worthwile, so why not let Volume be a helping hand?
Great idea, and I've changed Volume to this. I first worried this would be too close to a one-pile strategy, but it would be a lot of work to pull off so should be safe. And Necropolis for $4 isn't the greatest thing to keep so getting them and ignoring Encyclopedia shouldn't be optimal play very often.
Thanks again!

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: August 30, 2019, 05:40:46 am »
+1

Inherited Lands
Project, $10
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Victory card to gain a Duchy.

Get a whole bunch of Duchies for the price of two! If that's what you really want.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:45:40 am by pst »

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: August 30, 2019, 11:35:20 am »

Here is my submission (there are 20 in the pile)

I know Donald X. has said that Rats is his favorite card (that was said some time ago, I don't know if it still is). It's one of my favorite as well. There's something so great about the finesse that's required to play a card like that. On the one hand you want to play a bunch of them and gain a bunch them to tfb, on the other hand, you can't let rats overrun your deck. With that in mind, I've always wanted to make a card that fits in that idea. Here is what I came up with. It's a self gaining lab, but you have to be careful about playing too many of them or you'll destroy the rest of your turn (make sure to keep the riot under control).

1) Just to preempt any discussion about price, keep in mind that when it comes to self gainers, a higher cost actually makes the card a more worthwhile buy (would you buy rats if it cost $2?). You only buy it once, but you'll can tfb it multiple times.

2) The bottom part applies to all cards that you play (actions, treasures, night), but only when you play them (so calling a reserve would work).

I have to ask the community for advice on 2 things:

1) The copper clause has a bit of history. First there was no clause. But then I felt it would too punishing to play your first riot and the barrier would be too great since you often play a couple of coppers each turn in the early game. So then I specifically excluded copper. But then I realized you could buy one copper (to have 8 ) and a riot and just play a bunch of riots and play 8 coppers and get a province. So then I made it that copper costs 3 more if you have a riot in play, but realized it could be abused with tfb like farmland or remodel. So finally this is what I have.

I'm wondering if anyone has a better way to word it (especially if you could combine both parts under the line).

2) I was debating adding a little bonus for trashing this (like rats). I was thinking maybe +1 action or you may trash a card. Do you guys think it's good as is, or should I add a bonus (and which one)

Thanks

The way its phrased right now, doesn't the "card other than Riot" part trump the "when you play a copper" part?

Just make Copper always work is my vote.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3390 on: August 30, 2019, 04:02:24 pm »

I know Donald X. has said that Rats is his favorite card (that was said some time ago, I don't know if it still is). It's one of my favorite as well. There's something so great about the finesse that's required to play a card like that. On the one hand you want to play a bunch of them and gain a bunch them to tfb, on the other hand, you can't let rats overrun your deck. With that in mind, I've always wanted to make a card that fits in that idea. Here is what I came up with. It's a self gaining lab, but you have to be careful about playing too many of them or you'll destroy the rest of your turn (make sure to keep the riot under control).

1) Just to preempt any discussion about price, keep in mind that when it comes to self gainers, a higher cost actually makes the card a more worthwhile buy (would you buy rats if it cost $2?). You only buy it once, but you'll can tfb it multiple times.

2) The bottom part applies to all cards that you play (actions, treasures, night), but only when you play them (so calling a reserve would work).

1) The copper clause has a bit of history. First there was no clause. But then I felt it would too punishing to play your first riot and the barrier would be too great since you often play a couple of coppers each turn in the early game. So then I specifically excluded copper. But then I realized you could buy one copper (to have 8 ) and a riot and just play a bunch of riots and play 8 coppers and get a province. So then I made it that copper costs 3 more if you have a riot in play, but realized it could be abused with tfb like farmland or remodel. So finally this is what I have.

I'm wondering if anyone has a better way to word it (especially if you could combine both parts under the line).

2) I was debating adding a little bonus for trashing this (like rats). I was thinking maybe +1 action or you may trash a card. Do you guys think it's good as is, or should I add a bonus (and which one)

Thanks

The way its phrased right now, doesn't the "card other than Riot" part trump the "when you play a copper" part?

Good point. I should write other than riot or copper.

Like I explained, if copper always works it makes a simple strategy of filling your deck with riots and buying a single copper and then just buying provinces.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: August 30, 2019, 04:55:57 pm »
+1

Thanks

Like I explained, if copper always works it makes a simple strategy of filling your deck with riots and buying a single copper and then just buying provinces.

Your original goal of playing something that requires finesse is quite limited by coppers working. You intended to design a card where you want a few, but not too many. But getting 8 coppers and a bunch of riots I think will be a pretty strong strategy. How about you do not make a special case for copper. It costs 0 so as soon as you play 1 riot, it's instructions get ignored. But that makes it super weak early game -- what if you added copper trashing to the card? You could "when you gain a riot, trash a copper from your hand," or you could "when you buy, trash any number of coppers from your hand" you know, there's a lot of different directions here. In addition, the copper trashing will encourage an early buy, but early buys are dangerous because you could end up with a ton of these cards and absolutely no way to make economy. It'll become more strategically interesting. I think adding copper strategy here will move the card towards your original goal.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:01:30 pm by anordinaryman »

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: August 30, 2019, 05:18:31 pm »

Thanks

Your original goal of playing something that requires finesse is quite limited by coppers working. You intended to design a card where you want a few, but not too many. But getting 8 coppers and a bunch of riots I think will be a pretty strong strategy. How about you do not make a special case for copper. It costs 0 so as soon as you play 1 riot, it's instructions get ignored. But that makes it super weak early game -- what if you added copper trashing to the card? You could "when you gain a riot, trash a copper from your hand," or you could "when you buy, trash any number of coppers from your hand" you know, there's a lot of different directions here. In addition, the copper trashing will encourage an early buy, but early buys are dangerous because you could end up with a ton of these cards and absolutely no way to make economy. It'll become more strategically interesting. I think adding copper strategy here will move the card towards your original goal.

It still has finesse even with a leeway for copper. Playing more than 4 is really going to hurt the rest of your turn. The finesse is not gone it's just a little different.

I did used to have a copper trashing ability (I forgot to mention this). It felt a little too much like rats (rats turns estates and coppers into rats, riot would end up turning coppers into riots). Besides it started to feel like there were to many different concepts on the card (lab, self gaining, copper trasher, restrictions on other cards) which makes a card harder to understand and less intuitive. Also trashing coppers alone is still going to hurt early turns since you can't buy anything that turn. Other trashers let you trash multiple (chapel, steward) or at least let you trash while building your deck (moneylender).

Compare a 3rd turn play of rats to riot.

Play rats, trash an estate, buy something for $4 or $5.
Play riot, trash a copper, buy at best a $2 maybe buy nothing because you only have coppers and estates (that extra +card didn't help)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:23:27 pm by naitchman »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: August 30, 2019, 05:22:32 pm »

Thanks

Functionally, "when you play a Copper, you do not follow its instructions" can be replaced with "Coppers make $0".

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: August 30, 2019, 05:25:52 pm »
+1

Thanks

Functionally, "when you play a Copper, you do not follow its instructions" can be replaced with "Coppers make $0".

That's possible. Though I was hesitant about this because of how coppersmith would work (does it produce $0 after or before coppersmith adds $1)

I could say copper makes $1 less though. Though why not just use the same language that's on the other party if the card.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:29:23 pm by naitchman »

Kudasai

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: August 30, 2019, 06:14:15 pm »

Thanks

That's possible. Though I was hesitant about this because of how coppersmith would work (does it produce $0 after or before coppersmith adds $1)

I could say copper makes $1 less though. Though why not just use the same language that's on the other party if the card.

True! I hadn't thought of Coppersmith. I think the increase and decrease order would be in the order you played Riot and Coppersmith. I personally like that Coppersmith can counter the negative effects. Wombo-combo!

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: August 30, 2019, 08:04:08 pm »

There are 15 Trusts in the pile.

A card inspired by Magpie, but without the problems I have with it. The things I don't like about Magpie are:

1. Too automatic. Magpie never hurts you. With Trust, you have to think hard about when to get it. If you get it too early, it'll basically be a delayed Gold (which might be what you want, but not always).

2. Too swingy. I always end up with 2 Magpies while my opponent gets 8. Magpie has a snowball effect where the more you have, the more you're likely to get. With Trust, the opposite is true, and in fact a Trust will blow up if it collides with another Trust.

I put the "gain a Treasure" part in a when-trash clause because I like that it enhances Rats-style tfb tricks.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: August 30, 2019, 08:18:44 pm »

A card inspired by Magpie, but without the problems I have with it. The things I don't like about Magpie are:

1. Too automatic. Magpie never hurts you. With Trust, you have to think hard about when to get it. If you get it too early, it'll basically be a delayed Gold (which might be what you want, but not always).

2. Too swingy. I always end up with 2 Magpies while my opponent gets 8. Magpie has a snowball effect where the more you have, the more you're likely to get. With Trust, the opposite is true, and in fact a Trust will blow up if it collides with another Trust.

I put the "gain a Treasure" part in a when-trash clause because I like that it enhances Rats-style tfb tricks.

I don't think this counts as a monogainer since it can gain a treasure when trashed (the closest example from the rules was Beggar, which gained as a reaction).
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: August 30, 2019, 09:15:52 pm »
+1

I don't think this counts as a monogainer since it can gain a treasure when trashed (the closest example from the rules was Beggar, which gained as a reaction).

Ooh, good point. I chose Treasure-gaining because of the theme, but I'll change it to something else.

Now it's a one-shot super-lab if it reveals non-Actions or itself.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 09:19:20 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: August 31, 2019, 09:18:44 am »

Inherited Lands
Project, $10
At the start of your turn, you may discard a Victory card to gain a Duchy.

Get a whole bunch of Duchies for the price of two! If that's what you really want.

I think this is too expensive. Keep in mind that you first you have to spend a turn buying this instead of a Duchy, then you can only gain one if you happen to have a Victory card in your 5-card hand.

Philanthropist
Action - $5
Reveal your hand. If it does not have more Golds than Curses, gain a Gold to your hand.

Looks incredibly weak. It will lose most of its ability after a few turns and then become a dead card. The chances of a Curser being present are small and even then it's overpriced. As for deliberately gaining Curses to get more Golds, I don't know why you'd ever want to do that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 09:26:04 am by Commodore Chuckles »
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.