Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1546334 times)

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3300 on: August 22, 2019, 08:35:25 pm »
+2

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: August 23, 2019, 04:54:16 am »
+1

I don't need fresh ideas. As long as it hasn't won or been runner up in a contest yet.

This is a new event (by event I mean like on-buy is an event, on-gain is an event, on-trash etc), concerning when cards enter or leave the pile. Is this a separate event that occurs at a particular time? If so, what is its precedence with other events (return this to the supply event, on-gain event, on-buy event)? If you meant this to be a shortcut for cards that are gained from this pile or returned to this pile, I suggest using those words because those are the words that are already used in Dominion and then the normal event precedence applies (you get to choose which effect plays first when an event triggers two effects)

*meta note*: I am trying to ask questions for cards that have ambiguous effects this time around rather than just waiting for my final feedback. I'm not commenting on quality of cards into judgement though, just asking questions to clarify the card's intent.

Taking Gendo's comment too. I suppose putting Targeted on Vampire would stink, and Ambassador needs to fill up its piles, so it's bad design. The interaction with Encampments was my only real justification. So now it's gains only; 'immediately' means this trash takes priority over all other effects that change where a card is gained to. Doesn't feel right to be able to bypass it like this.

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3302 on: August 23, 2019, 08:51:00 am »

@Aquila, Just to be clear, Targeted is one copy per game (like Lost In The Woods), as opposed to Several Copies (like Miserable/Twice Miserable/Deluded/Envious), right?

Aquila

• Minion
  • Respect: +764
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: August 23, 2019, 11:42:53 am »
+1

@Aquila, Just to be clear, Targeted is one copy per game (like Lost In The Woods), as opposed to Several Copies (like Miserable/Twice Miserable/Deluded/Envious), right?
Yes, sorry I've been rather vague. You move one Targeted around the non-Victory Supply piles with every gain, play and trash of Ambush. Nobody, including yourself, can gain cards from a targeted pile until it's moved somewhere else. You don't have to move it to a different pile every time, you can choose the same one.
And if you target the Ambush pile itself...the next gained Ambush would be immediately trashed, as it's the top priority when-gain effect, then Targeted moved? And a when-buy effect would happen first then the when-gain trash, because you buy a card then gain it? Hope that's not wrong, that's how I've been playing it.

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: August 23, 2019, 04:28:11 pm »
+2

Removed ambiguity. Having "the choices must be different" between the other two turned out to be less awkward than I thought.

I'm starting to think this should only be $1. It looks pretty weak next to Pawn.

Really digging the design aspect. Offers a lot of interactivity without bogging down the games by having your opponent constantly making choices during your turn.

Aside from that though, this card is quite weak and I don't believe changing the cost from $2 to $1 will make it any better. It's best early use is for +1 Coffers and +1 Villager. Hard to say, but this is probably about a $3 cost value. Pricing it lower at $2 or $1 with a penalty of giving your opponents +1VP doesn't seem to justify the price change.

I'd think about adding a non-conditional element for the player who played it. Adding +$1 allows the following combos:

+$1, +1 Coffers and +1VP (a better Monument) at the cost of giving your opponents +1 Villager.
+$1, +Coffers and +1 Villager (comparable to Patron) at the cost of giving your opponents +1VP.
+$1, +1 Villager, +1VP at the cost of giving your opponents +1 Coffers.

The on-play effects for the current player seem a bit more inline for how much you're helping your opponent. Anyways, cool card!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: August 23, 2019, 05:05:12 pm »

Removed ambiguity. Having "the choices must be different" between the other two turned out to be less awkward than I thought.

I'm starting to think this should only be $1. It looks pretty weak next to Pawn.

Really digging the design aspect. Offers a lot of interactivity without bogging down the games by having your opponent constantly making choices during your turn.

Aside from that though, this card is quite weak and I don't believe changing the cost from $2 to $1 will make it any better. It's best early use is for +1 Coffers and +1 Villager. Hard to say, but this is probably about a $3 cost value. Pricing it lower at $2 or $1 with a penalty of giving your opponents +1VP doesn't seem to justify the price change.

I'd think about adding a non-conditional element for the player who played it. Adding +$1 allows the following combos:

+$1, +1 Coffers and +1VP (a better Monument) at the cost of giving your opponents +1 Villager.
+$1, +Coffers and +1 Villager (comparable to Patron) at the cost of giving your opponents +1VP.
+$1, +1 Villager, +1VP at the cost of giving your opponents +1 Coffers.

The on-play effects for the current player seem a bit more inline for how much you're helping your opponent. Anyways, cool card!

Agreed. Perhaps the one situation I can think of where it's strong is in a board with so many extra actions floating around that Villagers just aren't helpful (Fishing Village, Recruiter); in which case using it for +1 Coffer +1 is kind of like a cheap Monument alternative.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: August 24, 2019, 12:11:31 pm »

How about this? I added weak sifting as another option and now you choose three.

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: August 24, 2019, 12:26:05 pm »

How about this? I added weak sifting as another option and now you choose three.

I think it's probably too strong now. +1 Card, +1 Villager, +1 Coffers, discard a card is probably without the drawback, and giving +1 isn't a big enough drawback to lower that to ; and it's strictly better than that because that's only one of the combinations!
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: August 24, 2019, 02:32:26 pm »

I think I have too many words, but I'm going to submit this anyway.

Curio Shoppe
Types: Action
Cost: $4
+1VP. Reveal the top card of the Curio deck. If it is a Curio, trash this. Regardless, each other player may bid once up to <18>. Choose one: +1VP per <3> in the high bid and high bidder takes the <> they bid and gains the card, or if no one bid, trash the card; or take the <> the high bidder bid and <1> more and gain the card.
Setup: Make a Curio deck out of 10 different Curio cards and 10 different unused Kingdom cards costing $5.
Curio Shoppe is a Black Market variant that offers the unique cards (including its own unique Curio cards) to all players through an auction. You either get to win the auction by <1>, or you get VP. The VP does make threshold values for other players at <2>, <5>, <8>, <11>, <14>, and <17>. I'm not sure if 1VP/<3> is the right ratio anyway. It gives you +2VP when another player takes <5>, and +3VP when another player takes <8>. Bidding more than that is probably a bad idea unless it's an important +Buy card (which 2 of the Curios provide, by the way).
The obvious problem is that auctions take time, so Curio Shoppe limits itself by both 1: Not providing economy in and of itself, making rushing it a bad idea and 2: Trashing itself 50% of the time through the Curio deck. Benefits other than $ (like +cards or trashing) run the risk of causing more game-slowing auctions, so Curio Shoppe gives VP instead (to go hand in hand with Empires mechanisms).
Find below the 10 Curios. There is 1 of each for the Curio deck (the wording is simply so you can have more Curios if you want without breaking the stats).

Curious Armoire
Types: Victory, Curio
Cost: $0*
8VP
When you gain this, each other player may gain an Action and may gain a Treasure in either order.
(This is not in the Supply.)
Curious Book
Types: Action, Attack, Curio
Reveal your hand and discard 2 cards from it the player to your left chooses. If the total cost of the discarded cards is at least $5, each other player gains a Curse. Draw until you have 7 cards in hand.
Curious Cauldron
Types: Action, Curio
+2 Cards, +1 Action. You may trash a card from your hand. Each player (including you) may discard a card to trash a card from their hand.
Curious Chest
Types: Treasure, Curio
$4, +1 Buy. When you play this, each other player draws until they have 7 cards in hand.
Curious Doll
Types: Action, Victory, Curio
Gain a Gold. Each other player gains a Silver.
Worth 1VP for every 2 non-Copper Treasures in the deck of the player to your left (rounded down).
Curious Figurine
+3 Cards, +1VP. Each other player may take <3> for +1VP.
Curious Hammer
+2 Actions. The player to your left chooses an Action in the Supply costing at least $5. You may gain a copy of it, putting it into your hand. If you don't, each other player gains a copy of it and you may gain a card costing up to $4.
Curious Mirror
Types: Action, Treasure, Curio
When you play this, each player (including you) reveals their hand. Play a Treasure in any player's hand, leaving it there. If it is your Action phase, +1 Action and you may play an Action in any player's hand instead.
Curious Plans
Reveal 3 cards from your hand. Trash one that the player to your left chooses and gain a card costing up to $3 more than it.
Curious Weapon
Types: Action, Attack, Curio
+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy. Each other player with at least 5 cards in hand discards a card at once. If no one discards a card costing at least $3, +$2.

EDIT:
Nerf: Curious Armoire's gains for other players are independently optional and in either order (from mandatory in fixed order)
Nerf: Curious Book draws to 7 (from 8)
Nerf: Curious Chest produces $4 (from $5) and has players draw to 7 (from draw 1)
Nerf: Curious Doll worth 1VP per 2 non-Copper Treasures in the deck of the player to your left (from 1VP per 1 non-Copper Treasure)
Buff: Curious Figurine draws 3 (from +$3), gives +1VP unconditionally (from +2VP conditionally), and gives other players the option to take <3> for +1VP (from take <4>)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 12:33:52 pm by Fragasnap »
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: August 24, 2019, 03:10:16 pm »
+1

I don't think these are balanced with each other at all, assuming they're all supposed to be about the same strength. Chest and Cauldron are by far the best IMO, with Armoire up there as well if you aren't playing with Prosperity. On the other hand, Hammer is usually a worse version of University, and Figurine is easily the weakest of all the Curios.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 03:12:44 pm by Gubump »
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: August 24, 2019, 05:35:18 pm »

I decided to go back to the original 3 options and tack on a +Action. I liked the Pawn-like sometimes-useful nature of the original, but the fact is that giving a bonus to your opponent is going to be a big demotivator for a card you don't really need that much. As an explicit, but weak, Village, the choice becomes more interesting.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:39:07 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: August 24, 2019, 06:27:37 pm »
+2

I don't think [the Curios] are balanced with each other at all, assuming they're all supposed to be about the same strength. Chest and Cauldron are by far the best IMO, with Armoire up there as well if you aren't playing with Prosperity. On the other hand, Hammer is usually a worse version of University, and Figurine is easily the weakest of all the Curios.
I don't think the Curios need to be balanced with respect to each other because they are auctioned and not chosen, but I did want each to be a bit better than a $5 card (with the added considerations that there is only one of each so gaining them in multiples is not a concern). With 10 cards, I expect and even want that, a priori an actual Kingdom, some will be better than others simply because they are more generically useful.
Because players can't control when or if they will appear, they need to be good enough to gain on a dime. With that in mind: Curious Doll and Curious Figurine are probably the weakest of them, being expensive in terms of +actions and dependent on what the other players can do in response; Curious Armoire and Curious Hammer will be intensely Kingdom dependent, as the key Actions (and $5+ cost Actions) on the board will wildly change how much benefit they give; Curious Cauldron and Curious Chest will be the most generically useful as a super good tempo-trasher and a wild payload.
Curious Armoire
8VP
When you gain this, each other player gains an Action and a Treasure.
I disagree about Curious Armoire in Colony\Platinum games. The 8VP it is worth matters less, and each other player gaining a free Platinum in addition to any Action is a big cost.
Curious Hammer
+2 Actions. The player to your left chooses an Action in the Supply costing at least $5. You may gain a copy of it, putting it into your hand. If you don't, each other player gains a copy of it and you may gain a card costing up to $4.
Curious Hammer might give the weakest $5+ cost Action on the board straight to your hand (emphasis added), or could just flood other players with it as you get a generic Workshop, so I don't think that University is even a fair comparison
Curious Figurine
+$3. Each other player may take <4> for +1VP. If anyone does, each player who didn't (including you) may take <4> for +1VP. If no one does, +2VP.
So the core idea of this one is being a bigger Monument, but other players can prevent the big Monument effect by taking debt. Would +4 Cards be more fun than a Monument thing (there is only 1 of them, so infinite Curious Figurine would only be a mild concern with Royal Carriage)? Do you suppose one of the following it would be more more compelling?
  • +$3, +2VP. Each player (including you) may take <4> for +1VP.
  • +$3. The player to your left chooses: Each other player takes <4>; or you get +2VP.
  • +4 Cards, +2VP. Each player (including you) may take <4> for +1VP.
  • +4 Cards. The player to your left chooses: Each other player takes <4>; or you get +2VP.
Curious Chest
Types: Treasure, Curio
$5, +1 Buy. When you play this, each other player draws a card.
Do you think the benefit for other players could be improved to make Curious Chest less obscene? Would +$4, +1 Buy be good enough with its current "Each other player draws a card" (I thought it would be too weak in comparison to Council Room, though maybe its exclusivity and typing counterbalances that)?

Thank you for your feedback!

Climber
Types: Action, Duration
Cost: $3
Until your next turn, at the start of every player's buy phase, if another player has more cards in hand than you, draw until you have the same number of cards in hand. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card.
So, this will be mandatory on every board where you can increase your hand size, right? I mean, it has this terrifying feedback loop where Climbers continuously out-climb each other until every player just gets their deck in their hand every turn (which is fun thematically, but painfully centralizing). You can only combat it in a 2-player game (so two players can't feed each other in order to leave a third in the dust) by refusing to ever draw cards so that a bought Climber will be largely be a terminal "Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Card."

Shaman
+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy
If the type with the most cards in the trash is... Treasure: Trash this for +$3; Victory: Trash this for +3VP.
Trashing is such a powerful tool in Dominion that it is rarely passed up. I for one would like to see more cards that reward players for skipping trashing for a few turns. Shaman is my shot at such a card. Akin to Forager, the interactive part comes from forcing players to think a little harder about what cards they put in the trash. This plays a bit different with 3+ player games, but that's just how some cards are.
I think that is a wild understatement. Players only have 3 Victory cards each, so I imagine a lot of games will be decided by whoever gets the +VP out of Shaman before forcing Treasures or Shaman to outnumber the Victory cards in the trash.

Antiquarian
Types: Event
Cost: $2P
Once per turn: +1 Buy. Choose one: Trash up to two cards from your hand; or gain up to two cards from the trash, setting them aside and put them into your hand at the start of your next turn.
Interaction is pretty limited on this card. It really acts more as a deterrent to putting good stuff in the trash. This will largely make trash-for-benefit tricks with Provinces wildly overpowered and impossible to do except when you can immediately Antiquarian them back into your deck. I think the inability to gain Provinces from the trash is an important design choice in Dominion.

Exhibition
Types: Night, Duration
Cost: $2
Set aside an non-Duration Action you have in play. Until your next turn, when another player gains or plays a copy of it, they get +$1. At the start of your next turn, play it.
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile).
This is a nice Duration Throne Room. I hold concerns about multiplayer games having cards end up with multiple Exhibitions applied to them (or players being forced to lose by not getting to Exhibition what they want: A double-bind kind of thing). This also encourages players to mirror each other, so you can abuse any cards that get Exhibited (and that abuse is so much more important in multiplayer games because it can theoretically provide so much economy).

Bartender
Types: Action, Reserve
+1 Buy, +$3.
When you gain this, put it on your Tavern mat, then you may move your Ale token to any Supply pile. When another player gains or trashes a card from the pile with your Ale token on it, you may discard this from your Tavern mat.
I think turn order issues will be huge with this. Often there is a clear opening strategy, and Player 1 can often abuse that in a way that the last player in turn order can't.

Commune
Cost: $2
+1 Action. Choose two: +1 Coffers, +1 Villager, or +1VP. Each other player gets the bonus you didn't choose.
The concept of this is interesting, but the unbounded +Coffers it can provide between turns I think will make the game oddly accelerated in multiplayer games, especially because players will buy this for the +Actions. Point being that if each player plays 2 Communes on their turn, I may end up being flooded with Coffers.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: August 24, 2019, 06:58:43 pm »
+1

Curious Armoire
8VP
When you gain this, each other player gains an Action and a Treasure.
I disagree about Curious Armoire in Colony\Platinum games. The 8VP it is worth matters less, and each other player gaining a free Platinum in addition to any Action is a big cost.

That's why I said that Armoire is up there if you aren't playing Prosperity. You're arguing the point that I agree with. Although I did misread Armoire as giving players an Action OR a Treasure, so Armoire isn't that great even if you don't have Plat/Colonies.

If you want each to be "a bit better than a card," Doll is also too strong (Gain Gold, junk other players, and effectively +1), as is Book. Here are all of the Curio's power levels in my opinion, and possible suggestions to fix them to just a bit over :

Armoire: >
Book: ~; Remove the Curse clause.
Cauldron: >/; Drop the first trashing and make it into a Fugitive.
Chest: ; Drop the +Buy and reduce value to . It would only compare poorly to Council Room if Council Room was non-terminal, which it isn't.
Doll: >; Doll is worth even if it was a pure-victory. The fact that there's only one of them makes it even stronger. I don't know how to fix this one.
Figurine: <; Just change it to +, +1, each other player may take for +1. It makes it weaker when strong but stronger when weak.
Hammer: > You've convinced me of this one.
Mirror: >
Plans: >
Weapon: >

Overall, though, I think your Curio Shoppe is too complicated and too long to resolve.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 07:01:18 pm by Gubump »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: August 24, 2019, 07:26:21 pm »
+1

Climber
Types: Action, Duration
Until your next turn, at the start of every player's buy phase, if another player has more cards in hand than you, draw until you have the same number of cards in hand. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card.
So, this will be mandatory on every board where you can increase your hand size, right? I mean, it has this terrifying feedback loop where Climbers continuously out-climb each other until every player just gets their deck in their hand every turn (which is fun thematically, but painfully centralizing). You can only combat it in a 2-player game (so two players can't feed each other in order to leave a third in the dust) by refusing to ever draw cards so that a bought Climber will be largely be a terminal "Now and at the start of your next turn: +1 Card."

Thanks for the feedback.

The goal was some of the strategic aspects of Possession in terms of discouraging deck drawing engines but being more fun and incentivising other kinds of play (eg engines that keep an overall small hand). I'm ok with it being overcentralising as what you do with that ever larger hand will depend on the rest of the kingdom - you can almost certainly do better than BM/Climber. However there are counterplay options in many kingdoms that revolve around you not having a huge hand - can't remember the stats but most kingdoms would have a terminal silver that would stop the climb.

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: August 25, 2019, 04:10:23 am »
+3

Phantom Village
+1 Card
+5 Actions
The player on your left names an Action. For the rest of this turn, when you play a copy of the named card, discard a card.

EDIT: changed from discarding 2 cards to discarding 1 card.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 04:26:55 pm by grrgrrgrr »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3315 on: August 25, 2019, 07:52:33 am »
+2

It uses a generic token to track its effect similar to Sinister Plot. I think it's on the weaker side but it at least gives you buys and has the potential to go crazy. It also gets stronger with more players which I guess some people hate.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: August 25, 2019, 12:17:00 pm »

Phantom Village
+1 Card
+5 Actions
The player on your left names an Action. For the rest of this turn, when you play a copy of the named card, discard 2 cards.

Neat idea but I think it should only force you to discard one card. Discarding hurts. If you're relying on, say, Smithy for draw, discarding two cards makes it pretty much worthless. Discarding one card makes it basically a Moat, bad but manageable.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: August 25, 2019, 01:29:03 pm »
+2

The problem of a quadruple village like Phantom Village is that it doesn't really decrease your optimal village density that much.
The notion that a deck with 6 terminals and one Phantom Village works is wrong, you still need several copies such that the likelihood that you have one in hand at the start of your turn is large enough.
Or in other words, Port is better than Busting Village (of course that's not totally true as the latter can draw), you prefer 2 villages over a double village.

That's why I think that the drawback is too nasty.

alion8me

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: alion8me
  • Respect: +178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: August 25, 2019, 02:23:07 pm »
+1

For this week's contest, I decided to make a Plan variant with the twist that you get the benefit not just on your buys but on anybody's gains.

Prepare

Move your Prepare token to a kingdom supply pile. (When any player (including you) gains a card from that pile, +1 Coffers.)

Event
$4

Kudasai

• Witch
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: August 25, 2019, 04:12:44 pm »
+1

Shaman
+1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Buy
If the type with the most cards in the trash is... Treasure: Trash this for +$3; Victory: Trash this for +3VP.
Trashing is such a powerful tool in Dominion that it is rarely passed up. I for one would like to see more cards that reward players for skipping trashing for a few turns. Shaman is my shot at such a card. Akin to Forager, the interactive part comes from forcing players to think a little harder about what cards they put in the trash. This plays a bit different with 3+ player games, but that's just how some cards are.
I think that is a wild understatement. Players only have 3 Victory cards each, so I imagine a lot of games will be decided by whoever gets the +VP out of Shaman before forcing Treasures or Shaman to outnumber the Victory cards in the trash.

The goal with Shaman is to have the strength of the rewards correlate with how long the game has progressed (or more specifically how trashing generally progresses in a game). Victory cards are usually the first things that end up in the trash so players won't have to wait long before they can trash this for VP tokens. Coin takes a bit longer and should reflect a higher reward for players who have managed to hang on to their Shamans.

A +$3 to +3VP ratio just doesn't fit this objective so I'll drop the VP to +2VP. This is still a nice amount of VP, but it should be offset mostly by the opportunity cost of potentially being behind on trashing and engine components.

Thanks for your input!

I decided to go back to the original 3 options and tack on a +Action. I liked the Pawn-like sometimes-useful nature of the original, but the fact is that giving a bonus to your opponent is going to be a big demotivator for a card you don't really need that much. As an explicit, but weak, Village, the choice becomes more interesting.

Your original post does not seem to have been updated!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 04:15:23 pm by Kudasai »

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: August 25, 2019, 04:29:44 pm »

I changed the effect of Phantom Village. Thanks for the input!

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: August 25, 2019, 10:49:35 pm »
+2

Alright, I am abandoning  my old submission for these cards:

Here are some helpful secret cards up your sleeve that can help you in a pinch. As with my previous entries these cards travel from player to player.

They are also a new type; secret cards. Secret cards have a randomizer and do not count towards the 10 cards in the kingdom (choose them in a similar way to sideways cards but you can play with all 3 of them). There are 1 copy of each secret card per player. Each player starts with their secret cards (however many they are playing with that game) upside down underneath their deck (they are not part of your deck, this is for reminder purposes only). The first time each player shuffles, they put their secret cards onto their tavern mat. They used to just start on your tavern mat but then I thought it could have some balance issues (player order can make a difference, and it's power can be a bit swingy depending on your opening hand), so now it doesn't affect openings.

I think the wordings of the cards are straightforward but if anyone has any q's, I could answer them.

Originally all cards were passed left (not just the first) but then I figured it would usually lead to one player having all of them and everyone getting +$3 (or cards) each turn. It could also get a little crazy in a 4p game (1st player gets $1, 2nd player gets $2, 3rd player gets $3, 4th player gets $4). Only one of each secret card can get passed each turn now, which means that allowing one player to accumulate a pile of the secret cards can give them an advantage since they can pass only one secret card and still get a big bonus. Also, it means in a 2p game, the first player to use their card, say secret hoard, gets a small bonus of +$1 quicker, and give their opponent a bigger bonus of +$2 later; then they are back to square one (each player has one secret hoard on their tavern mat).

P.S. I'm a little tired right now, so I apologize if my comments are a little incoherent or rambly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:53:00 pm by naitchman »

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1423
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: August 26, 2019, 01:56:47 am »

For this week's contest, I decided to make a Plan variant with the twist that you get the benefit not just on your buys but on anybody's gains.

Prepare

Move your Prepare token to a kingdom supply pile. (When any player (including you) gains a card from that pile, +1 Coffers.)

Event
$4
My hunch is that this is too good and that it might have to cost $5. As it stands, putting the token on the village pile is a more or less  guaranteed 10 Coffers.

anordinaryman

• Duke
  • Respect: +502
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: August 26, 2019, 03:22:23 pm »
+2

This is a 24 hour WARNING for challenge 41. Please make sure your submission is in this post. If your submission is missing or incorrect, or if you want to modify your submission, please reply rather than editing a past response. I will not read anything before this post. I will modify this post to remove the entires when the contest is done so that this does not eat up so much forum real-estate.

[ This post has been edited to remove all the entries]

You have 24 hours to reply with any modifications/additions to the above entries
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:09:11 pm by anordinaryman »

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #3324 on: August 26, 2019, 03:34:00 pm »

I'm last minute changing my entry - withdrawing Executioner, entering Mason's Lodge:

Mason's Lodge • $5 • Action - Duration
+1 Buy
Until the end of your next turn, cards cost $1 less (to a minimum of $0) for all players, and all players get +1 Buy at the start of their turn.
Whenever a player gains a card after their first, you get +1 Coffers.

(also, to head off the #1 criticism of "why would i buy/play that", you get two turns of +Buy/Cost Reduction to everyone elses one turn of it, your second turn after you have a big ol' pile of coffers from everyone else taking advantage of your group price reduction)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 04:32:53 pm by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.