Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 327  All

Author Topic: Weekly Design Contests #1 - #100  (Read 1547633 times)

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
Re: Weekly Design Contest Thread
« Reply #3250 on: August 19, 2019, 05:33:11 pm »

unlike a masquerade, since the cards are passed and (end up in discard pile when passed?) i think you can debt-lock another player if they only have, say, 5 treasures in their deck and happen to have them all in their hand when you get your Throne Room/KC/Swamp Tower combo.

I think (and maybe im wrong, empires is one of the sets ive played/liked the least) most if not all canon sources of debt are voluntarily entered by the debtor-player. Maybe revise to the -$1 token?

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: August 19, 2019, 05:38:04 pm »

unlike a masquerade, since the cards are passed and (end up in discard pile when passed?)
That's not how passing works in Dominion.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: August 19, 2019, 05:38:58 pm »

might want to specify that since its only on one other card.

segura

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1424
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: August 19, 2019, 05:40:55 pm »

might want to specify that since its only on one other card.
In Dominion cards do not repeat stuff that is in the rulebooks for obvious reasons.

naitchman

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +260
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: August 19, 2019, 07:30:54 pm »

Here's a simple card inspired by some of the rotating cards in Agricola. (NOTE: it is an heirloom, not a supply pile)

I just made an heirloom without a kingdom pile to go with it. I figured the kingdom pile is unnecessary for the contest, since Gift is the card that gives the player interaction. That being said, I will make a kingdom card to match it if anordinaryman wants me to (maybe i'll give it some more player interaction).

I'd thought I'd go with a card that rotates along the decks. You get a little bonus when you pass it along (i did that or else everyone would be passing them along and it would cancel itself out). You can keep it; of course then it just plays like a copper. This is obviously going to affect the openings a little bit like baker.

1) Your opponent does not gain the card and therefore cannot react (for example with a trader)

2) the card is priced at 0 intentionally. I wanted it to continue to rotate hands so I wanted to disincentivize trashing it. At 0 it doesn't work well for trash for benefit. it also can't be trashed with things that only trash copper (ducat, moneylender). And then, if you really want to get it out of your deck you could always play it as a silver (though it will likely come back).

Update: I have added Research here (this should take care of the heirloom problem and give more interactivity). Here are my comments:

You've worked very hard on your research; too bad everyone wants to steal it for themselves. It's a lab that can be stolen for a cost.

1) The choice of stealing goes clockwise from the current player. Once one player takes it, no other player can take it since it is no longer in play.

2) "Other players" refers to all the players who did not steal the card.

3) Because this is a card that rotates and everyone will end up benefiting from, the cost has to be low since why spend my money if everyone is going to get the benefit (also to prevent tfb). I've also added an interactive clause that allows all your opponents to gain one for free (when you gain your 2nd card). I might tweak this clause since it allows the pile to deplete fast in a 4p game.

4) This pairs thematically well with Gift. Gift is a card you give to your opponents, Research is a card you steal from your opponents.

I've updated my old post and quoting it here so people can comment.

Update: this is no longer my submission
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:50:05 pm by naitchman »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1677
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: August 19, 2019, 08:59:29 pm »

Research is already an existing card:

And even if it wasn't, it doesn't really make much sense thematically for Research's Heirloom to be a Gift.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: August 19, 2019, 09:04:24 pm »

Research is already an existing card:

And even if it wasn't, it doesn't really make much sense thematically for Research's Heirloom to be a Gift.

Oops. Thought I remembered there being a research. I'll change it later.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: August 19, 2019, 11:08:37 pm »

Here's a simple card inspired by some of the rotating cards in Agricola. (NOTE: it is an heirloom, not a supply pile)

Why doesn't Research just say "the player to your left may..."?

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
  • Respect: +190
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: August 20, 2019, 09:21:44 am »

I would guess it's because if they don't, the next player may then choose to.

naitchman

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: August 20, 2019, 09:29:39 am »

I would guess it's because if they don't, the next player may then choose to.

Exactly. That way if there's one player who's not taking any, it doesn't give an unfair advantage to the player to his right.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Contest #41: Non-Attack Interaction
« Reply #3260 on: August 20, 2019, 10:34:40 am »
+1

The set aside clause is to limit its power in the late game and prevent infinite an infinite loop with Band of Misfits.
I love this idea (I had a similar one before looking at the thread), but it is not fun that you could use this to remove a Moat from your opponent's hand and then attack.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: August 20, 2019, 10:48:28 am »

The set aside clause is to limit its power in the late game and prevent infinite an infinite loop with Band of Misfits.
I love this idea (I had a similar one before looking at the thread), but it is not fun that you could use this to remove a Moat from your opponent's hand and then attack.

That's actually never even crossed my mind. Do you have any ideas of how to fix that?
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: August 20, 2019, 10:51:53 am »

That's actually never even crossed my mind. Do you have any ideas of how to fix that?

"The set aside card is still considered part of your opponent's hand"?

or "play a copy of that card from the supply, leaving it there" which narrows delegate's potential use cases to be not-prizes/travellers/knights/etc and occasionally failing on split piles?

or let it be a weird narrow use case feature, rather than a bug?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:58:20 am by spineflu »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: August 20, 2019, 10:57:48 am »
+1

Well, you could restrict to non-Reactions, or make it an Attack itself. Both are less than ideal solutions. Maybe instead of setting aside, you could just have them flip it upside down, Necromancer-style?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:59:19 am by faust »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: August 20, 2019, 10:59:06 am »
+2

Exhibition
$2 - Night/Duration

Set aside an non-Duration Action you have in play. Until your next turn, when another player gains or plays a copy of it, they get +$1. At the start of your next turn, play it.
-
This is gained to your hand (instead of your discard pile).

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: August 20, 2019, 02:19:42 pm »
+2

CHALLENGE #41 - DOMINION IS NOT SOLITAIRE

My contribution:

Polymath
Action, $3
The player to your left selects a non-Duration Action card from the Supply that you haven't played this turn. Play that, leaving it there.

It uses the same mechanics as Captain for playing a card from the supply. On most boards there are action cards you probably are not interested in playing, like a Ruins or something that doesn't work that well from the supply, like Royal Carriage (just gives a new action). But by playing several of these, of first playing the cheap cards yourself you can get the effects of the Good Cards for a cheaper price (although maybe not the ones you like).

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 04:01:46 pm by pst »

Gubump

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: August 20, 2019, 04:25:06 pm »

Fixed Delegate by changing the return timing to at the end of resolving Delegate. It removes the "limiting its power in the late game" factor, but it still prevents the Overlord/BoM infinite loop, which is the main reason for the set-aside clause anyway.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: August 20, 2019, 09:34:32 pm »
+4

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: August 21, 2019, 12:00:09 am »

Very interesting. Though you want semicolons instead of commas.

Fly-Eagles-Fly

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: August 21, 2019, 12:01:17 am »
+2

A weird idea off the top of my head. Not sure how well this would work, also really not sure about the theme.

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: August 21, 2019, 05:47:20 am »
+1

I have sigs off.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: August 21, 2019, 06:07:45 am »

Seems interesting but potentially broken. Also not sure about the wording "as many cards as you did" - removing a -1 card token counts as drawing in some contexts, does it here? You could just say "you may draw 3 cards, if you did, each other player draws 3 cards".

hypercube

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: xyrix
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: August 21, 2019, 06:13:55 am »

Seems interesting but potentially broken. Also not sure about the wording "as many cards as you did" - removing a -1 card token counts as drawing in some contexts, does it here? You could just say "you may draw 3 cards, if you did, each other player draws 3 cards".

"Interesting but potentially broken" is basically my goal in designing cards ;D. I think costing $3 and not giving +Action or net +Buy should be enough to make loops difficult though.

"As many cards as you did" was intended so that if you draw deck, buy a card, then want to draw it with Alliance you can do that without drawing your opponents 3 cards. Possibly there's a better wording. I always thought of removing the -1 card token as something that happens in response to an instruction to draw, not as draw itself, although I don't think there's anything in the official cards which would make that distinction important.
I have sigs off.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: August 21, 2019, 07:55:04 am »

"Interesting but potentially broken" is basically my goal in designing cards ;D. I think costing $3 and not giving +Action or net +Buy should be enough to make loops difficult though.

"As many cards as you did" was intended so that if you draw deck, buy a card, then want to draw it with Alliance you can do that without drawing your opponents 3 cards. Possibly there's a better wording. I always thought of removing the -1 card token as something that happens in response to an instruction to draw, not as draw itself, although I don't think there's anything in the official cards which would make that distinction important.
The craziness could be limited with a"once per turn", but if you want it in, that's of course fine too. If you want to make the drawing clearer, you could say "name a number between 0 and 3. Each player draws that many cards." Maybe the current wording is fine though and I'm just overthinking.

spineflu

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: August 21, 2019, 09:47:29 am »
+1

A weird idea off the top of my head. Not sure how well this would work, also really not sure about the theme.

Would you be open to a couple tweaks?
Mostly with the Ale token - have placement of that happen when you gain a Bartender. That way you can:
  • hold back on going in on these until someone has committed to a strategy, thereby ensuring you'll get use out of them
  • move your Ale token if someone pivots strategies, to make your bartenders not wastes of buys
  • cut down to one horizontal line on the card

Could also make the discard trigger "gains or trashes", which may help them see more play.
Regardless, I like it. Lets you play some headgames.

can i choose the same choice twice (and let everyone else load up on villagers/coffers)?

also I'm changing my submission to Executioner:

Executioner • Action • $5
The player to your left chooses one of the following for you to do:
Play an action card from your hand twice; or
+1 Buy, Play a treasure card from your hand three times; or
Gain a card costing up to $4 and if it is an Action or Treasure, play it immediately.

Bluffing minigame. Do you have a solid treasure? how about action? Or is there something in supply that'd be helpful?
Picked the name because it can do what thrones/crowns do (do a thing twice) but it does so at the direction of an outside power. Sort of a reverse-possession.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 01:05:59 pm by spineflu »
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 327  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.